Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!

+14
raine1953
frogs
janie
laga
Nama
jeanne1807
lisette
adelacruz
charminglane
Wrapitup
Heike
CritterFan1
TerryRose
mommyof3kids
18 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!  Empty Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!

Post by mommyof3kids Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:26 pm

N.Y. High School Junior Disappears In Myrtle Beach

Brittanee was last seen on April 25, 2009 at 8 p.m.

View Larger A 17-year-old high school junior disappeared from her Myrtle Beach, S.C. motel on Saturday, April 25, 2009.

Police say Brittanee Drexel was on a Spring Break trip with some of her friends, but didn't have her parents' permission to be there.

When Brittanee's mother, Dawn Drexel, first heard her daughter was missing, she asked a family friend who was in the area to travel to Myrtle Beach to look for her.

The friend called police from the Bar Harbor Hotel, where she was staying.

Brittanee's friends, who were staying with her, said the last time they saw her was around 8 p.m. on that Saturday evening.

She planned to return to the hotel room and didn't take any of her clothing with her. She hasn't been seen since.

She walked more than a mile down the road to The Blue Water Resort, where a friend from New York and a group of his male buddies were staying, according to police.

Surveillance video captured her entering the resort and then leaving sometime after 8:30 p.m.

http://www.amw.com/missing_children/case.cfm?id=65194
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!  Empty Re: Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!

Post by mommyof3kids Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:29 pm

Oh My goodness, did I actually do this right? THat was my first forum topic post EVER.... :cheers:

I didn't see anything on this girl on here and I can't help but think of what happend to this girl? Foul Play? Run Away?

Then they played her story tonight on AMW and it brought it back up in my head!!!

I would love to see anyones input on this case if they have any insite info, that would be wonderful!!! ❤
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!  Empty Re: Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!

Post by TerryRose Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks for keeping this story alive here. Maybe with vacation season coming, if she is staying away voluntarily or otherwise still alive and getting around, someone might spot her around the resort area of Myrtle Beach--- if she is kept on their minds as you have helped to do through your posting.
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:50 pm

There is just something about the fact that she left her clothes in her hotel room, that leads me to think she was abducted or foul play. She is a very well maintained girly girl who you can tell likes to look and dress nice.

In early reports a news channel was saying that maybe she went for a swim in the ocean and drowned, or that maybe her depression go the best of her. I personally don't think that either of those scenerios are the case.

Like I said before, I would love to hear if anyone else has been following this case.

Thank you ❤
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:01 pm

What puzzles me are the reports and surveillance videos that were taken after she went missing. The one in the hotel was ruled out as being her, according to my recollection. But the one boarding the bus, is it still believed to have been her? There is hope if she stayed there on her own accord, but if these sightings were not her, then we would assume the worst. Shudder at the thought of it, but, at Myrtle Beach, so many bodies are pulled out of the ocean that I don't even think that they report it in the local news there---it seems to be much too commonplace. I sincerely hope that that didn't happen to this girl.
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi Terry Rose~
I have been trying to dig up answers to your last comment and I think that the surveillance videos of her entering and then leaving that hotel were in fact her, and that the witness that thought she saw Brittanee on a bus turned out to not be her.

Here is a link to a local a forum on a website called "discover Myrtle Beach".

There is a lot of articles posted throught out the forum and it looks like one blogger actually spoke in person to Brittanee's Mother Dawn.

I will try and find more articles and updates to add to this forum.

I haven't really been following this case closely, so if anyone has anything to add here, please do!!!

http://discovermyrtlebeachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2163&st=0
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:59 pm

I will never think she has stayed away willingly. She was in love with a long time boyfriend. Her family says she would never do his to him or hurt them this way unless some thing terrible happened. The beach can be a dark lonely place.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:38 pm

Critter, you are right. There are many who walk the beach by the hotels late at night, but I have seen people who foolishly go in for a swim at night when there are no lifeguards and no security watching.
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:02 am

[quote]I still find it strange that the Boy she was last seen by, checked out of his hotel 2 hours after he reported last seeing her.. Very Suspicious if you ask me Suspect
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!  Empty Missing Britannee Marie Drexel - 17 yrs old

Post by Heike Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:30 pm

I have heard nothing about this missing girl in ages! I can only imagine how the family feels with this child's case just dropping off the radar? She was on AMW in June and the grandparfents were in Myrtle Beach for months searching. This case does not look like it will have a positive outcome. :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vAfkuJJqA&feature=related

xoxo
Heike
Heike
Heike

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:46 am

I agree, Heike. I just got back from the same area of Myrtle Beach, S.C. (where she was last seen) yesterday and I kept an eye open for her and showed the picture of her to my grandsons who were seriously girl watching. I have thought about her since her disappearance. I think it would be doubtful that she is supporting herself there anonymously, so I fear the worst for her.
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:09 pm

TerryRose wrote:I agree, Heike. I just got back from the same area of Myrtle Beach, S.C. (where she was last seen) yesterday and I kept an eye open for her and showed the picture of her to my grandsons who were seriously girl watching. I have thought about her since her disappearance. I think it would be doubtful that she is supporting herself there anonymously, so I fear the worst for her.

Your Grandsons girl watching really put a smile on my face. If they did not spot this beautiful girl then she is not there. It is very sad but we will always have her story and pictures here on VH.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:52 pm

Posted at: 08/27/2009 11:25 PM | WHEC.com
Updated at: 08/28/2009 5:44 AM
By: Linzi Sheldon

Still hope for Drexel
It's an amazing story. Eighteen years after being kidnapped, a California girl is found safe. The return of Jayce Lee Dugard, while rare, gives extra motivation to the family of Brittanee Drexel to continue their search.

The 17-year-old disappeared in April while on spring break in Myrtle Beach. Her mother, Dawn Drexel, is back in South Carolina, where she is renewing the search.

"You just hope and pray that they're okay and they'll come home," Drexel said.

In Myrtle Beach, S.C., there are three billboards with Brittanee Drexel's photo and information, donated by local business leaders to help in the search.

"The billboards are wonderful," Dawn Drexel said. "It keeps her face out there. It keeps people looking for her."

Drexel says at this point, there are no new leads in the investigation. While in South Carolina, she is working with the Cue Center for Missing Persons, stopping at three towns to remind people that Brittanee is still missing. The three stops are actually part of a larger cross-country tour by the Cue Center called the "On the Road to Remember" tour. It focuses on more than a hundred missing persons cases in which the investigations have run out of leads. The goal is to get photos and information out there to generate new leads for police.

Drexel says there is always hope. On Thursday, she heard the news that Jayce Lee Duguard was found alive.

"I'm very happy that they found this girl, you know," she said. "Especially for her parents and their families because they've been through such torment. When your child goes missing, it's the worst thing you could ever go through. I mean, you wouldn't wish that on your worst enemy. It's horrible."

For Drexel, the news is also proof that Brittanee could still be out there.

"We hold out hope and hope that she would come walking through the door or call us and say, 'Hey Mom, come pick me up,'" Drexel said.

The Executive Director of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children said of the news, "This really is why we never stop looking and why we encourage families to never give up hope...because you just never know, when a child goes missing, how long it's going to take to bring them home."

Drexel says she'll keep searching for however long it takes.

"I just want my baby back," she said.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1109057.shtml?cat=566
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Happy Birthday Brittanee.

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/Brittanee-Drexels-18th-Birthday-Missing-Nearly/NqnJGSRLjEqOn47ZoYcgIg.cspx
charminglane
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:50 pm

charminglane wrote:Happy Birthday Brittanee.

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/Brittanee-Drexels-18th-Birthday-Missing-Nearly/NqnJGSRLjEqOn47ZoYcgIg.cspx

Yes, indeed, dear Brittanee,
If you are out there and have access to a computer and are reading this, please, Honey, make contact with someone who can relay the information to your mother---or give your Mom a call. Some day you will understand how your being missing tears apart your Mom's heart. We who post on this site understand this. I hope and have prayed you will be found and have looked for you myself while on vacation there. Happy birthday, Sweetie!

I am encouraged that a body has not washed ashore in all this time that has been identified as this precious girl. I am hopeful for her that she will be found safe.
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Some sunglasses were found that were near her last cell phone ping. There are pics of her wearing the glasses.

“MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (Dec. 12) — A pair of women’s sunglasses discovered on the banks of a South Carolina river has renewed the search for a New York teen missing since April.

Multiple media outlets report the sunglasses were found by someone walking along the Santee River in Georgetown County about 40 miles south of Myrtle Beach.

Drexel was last seen April 26 — the same day a picture was taken of her wearing knockoff designer sunglasses similar to the pair found at the river. The site is not far from where her cell phone gave off its last known signal that night.”

Link:

http://www.sphere.com/crime/article/new-clue-emerges-in-brittanee-drexel-disappearance/19276432?icid=main|compaq-laptop|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sphere.com%2Fcrime%2Farticle%2Fnew-clue-emerges-in-brittanee-drexel-disappearance%2F19276432
charminglane
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:00 pm

Thanks for the Bump LM and thanks a TON Charming for the update article. As sad as it may be knowing that finding those sunglasses on the riverbank, most likely means she was dumped in the river :pale: She needs to be brought home to her mother!
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 pm

I go to Myrtle Beach regularly, and that is quite a walk from Bluewater Resort to Bar Harbor Motel...I am thinking that she was offered a ride as she walked beside the road, and,being too naive, accepted...(Maybe it was some guy or guys that she knew or had met while there)...Or even total strangers...Teens, especially on spring break, just don't believe that a fellow "spring breaker" would possibly be dangerous....However, once she was in the car, she found out that she was not being taken to her destination, but south to where, I am sorry to say, something bad happened to her...Hence, her last cell phone ping and sunglasses found 40 miles south of MB.
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:47 am

Bumping this topic up because a body has been found several hours away. They have no idea if it is male or female, white or black, young or old. But I am going to do some looking and if I can find the memo I will post it here. Brittany is always in the back of my mind. Her mother's face on tv made it so real to a lot of us. I hope this is not Brittany but then it is somebodys lost loved one.

How many dead people do we have to find on the side of our roads before laws will become such that people will stop murdering our children and tossing them like trash.

I just watched a bit from the trial of that LE that broke into Sarah Jessica Parkers saragots home for things he could sell to Enquirer type magazines. I think he got 39 months..more than molesters are getting. What a shame.
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks, Jeanne. Please keep us posted on their investigation of the discovery of the body. Britannee was in S. Carolina when she disappeared and this body was found in N. Carolina, no? The river by which they found her phone and another item was further South of Myrtle Beach, the Santee River, if I am correct, all the further away from N. Carolina. Is this the same river that flows through both states? Does a branch of the same river link to this river in N. C.?
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:55 pm

Lost my whole post..will start again. Here is something on the Santee River. http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=389366

This is the link to the discovery of the body.
http://www.wect.com/global/story.asp?s=11749272

Darn I lost it all and now I can't remembrer exactly what I was trying for. Anyway thats pretty much what I wanted to say..oh I remember now.

Somebody talking about the distance. "I hadn't even thought about Brittanee Drexel, but you guys are right. Myrtle Beach is, I think, less than 80 miles from Wilmington. It could be"

To be truthful I have no idea where any of these places are because I am from the midwest so I thought I would post it all and somebody might be able to make sense out of it all. Thanks for understanding. I would not make a very good reporter.
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks, Jeanne, that first link has something in it I did not know about, and that is that the cellphone tracking by LE determined that the phone itself made "a beeline" from Myrtle Beach to the N. Santee area within the first hour of her going missing. Interesting then to note that she could not have been still on foot but must have been traveling in a vehicle (unless the ocean somehow would feed into that river and dump some things there?). I had not thought about that before. Thanks and you are a good reporter, Jeanne, you are probably just tired from bringing in the new year last night as I am. 😴
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:08 pm

The body was found north of Myrtle Beach and the cell phone was to the south...That doesn't seem to jive unless the phone was thrown out to divert trackers and then Brittanee was taken north...
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:38 pm

I was just thinking about the girl that was upset with Brittanee about her shorts...Brittanee would have been walking north from Bluewater to Bar Harbor...Maybe the girl and her friends met Brittanee in the car on the way and things got out of hand...I think I read earlier that Brittanee had told someone back in NY that she was not really having a good time with those girls...This is all speculation, of course, and I'm sure that LE has investigated these girls...I hope...
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:18 pm

This is the latest I am hearing.

WRAL news just stated the remains have been sent to Chapel Hill, and police should know the identity of the person on Monday.
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:36 am

I was afraid from the start that it would end up this way. There is one road that goes south and north of Myrtle Beach, Hwy. 17. Would have been nothing for whoever had her to go south as a ruse, throw out her phone and sunglasses and then head up toward Wilmington, all of the same road.Even with traffic Wilmington is not more than an hour and a half away from Myrtle. I like Lisette's idea about the girls. Girls can be very vindictive, alcohol can fuel a fire. If this is her you know her mother will be devastated. She never gave up for the longest time. She stayed in SC for months. angel
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:48 am

You are right, Critter. There are many tough and violent girls out there, not to say that her friends were of this caliber, but girls can be just as nasty as boys. She probably couldn't defend herself very well being so tiny of a girl against anybody, girl or boy. I still hope she is alive and the body found is that of a drifter or something who died from natural causes.
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:13 pm

TR, if she was in the car with the girls that she came with they would have been heading north toward home...
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:28 pm

If, as stated above, police are saying they will have an ID for the body in question on Monday, they already know who it is by some other means. Otherwise, they would not make such a statement. They must be waiting for DNA comparison and forensics to back up what they already know. There must have been some clues at the scene where the bones were found that would identify this person.

Secondly, is there any attraction in the N. Santee area that the girls may have taken in that evening before having to leave for home? If so, LE should have also investigated the cell phone locations of the other girls during those hours. Also, they should have investigated the cell phone trace of the boy she visited before she disappeared to see if his phone traveled anywhere before he left for home in the middle of the night. The fact that her phone and sunglasses were South of the area and all returned home by going north seems to be important here.
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!  Empty Official Website for Brittanee

Post by Nama Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:19 pm

The family of Brittanee Drexel, a New York teenager who disappeared while on a trip to Myrtle Beach in April, has created an official Web site.
The CUE Center for Missing Persons in Wilmington, N.C. helped the family create the site, http://www.helpfindbrittaneedrexel.com//, said Monica Caison, the founder of the center.
The goal is to have the site serve as a central location to keep all information and allow people to submit tips that would get to law enforcement and communicate with the family, she said.

There are several Web sites that have put out information that the family is not connected with so this new site is aimed at having an official public presence online, Caison said.
“Everything else has nothing to do with them and people need to know that when they are contacting these strangers online it’s not endorsed by the family and it’s not getting to the family,” she said.
A search earlier this month turned up a clue, a pair of sunglasses similar to those Drexel wore on the day of her disappearance, near Santee River shoreline in Georgetown County.
Law enforcement officials are still processing DNA evidence found on the sunglasses, Caison said.
Drexel was 17 when she was last seen leaving the Blue Water Hotel on Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach.

http://www.thesunnews.com/news/breaking_news/story/1239504.html[/quote]
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:03 am

OhhhhMG! That song made me cry! What a beautiful site they have made and they have posted pages to access for any latest news about her. Thanks for the link.
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:31 am

I agree terry Rose, looks like someone was heading home and dumped her body. Nothing to do inGeoretown county, it is where Pawleys Island Hammocks are made, pottery and art shops, family oriented, golf. Lots of fish camps and things right on the water, little dirt roads that run straight to the water for fishing, etc. Only 5 minutes off of Hwy 17 to the water areas. Another idea, maybe whoever did this to her knew a friend that may have been involved, friend was heading south, toward their house and threw the stuff in the water.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Upon reading the Morgan Harrington thread, a thought occurred to me: It was said that Brittanee had very little money with her when she left with friends on the way to Myrtle Beach. It was also said that she was not having a very good time with those friends. Could it be that they had a falling out while there and she was left out of the ride back home with them, by the girls or by her own choice, with no money and tried to hitchhike or bum a ride with a stranger to get back home? Can't help but wonder about that possibility. But then again, there were no reports of anyone actually seeing her do this on the side of the road, but that wouldn't mean she didn't ask someone she met at one of the resorts there. I wonder if she might have asked the young man she visited for a ride back that night. I don't think we know much about what any of the people involved in this story have said to the police, assuming that LE has interviewed them properly.
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:08 am

This is so sad. I think LE knows it's her. She's been missing for a very long time...since the summer. I am certain it has taken awhile to ascertain if it is her.

Her family has a beautiful website. The song brought tears to my eyes.

I pray that this is Brittney as I believe many of us have thought she was gone for awhile now. Her mother needs closure. crying
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 pm

I looked online earlier today for any updates, and all I saw was that the remains are at the office of the ME in Chapel Hill for examination by a forensic anthropologist and there *might* be an ID later today.

I will try to keep a watch on this one.

I keep thinking, if it is her, how sad. But if she has been killed at least her family will have some closure with her remains being found.

If it is not her then we still have hope.

These cases are brutal.
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks Jeanne for all the updates on this case! This is one of the many cases I have been following and wanting to keep at the top of the list. She is such a beautiful young girl that probably made the wrong mistake with trusting someone she just met 🇳🇴

I agree with you that as much as it will be sad to find out if this is Brittanee's body, but good to have her brought home at the same time :pale:
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:15 pm

OK Ladies, you know me and my MAPS :bounce: , Well... I just couldn't help but get an idea of the location of where the body was found, so I Googled it and this is what I got:

On a side note, I know they said that the body was found off the side of the road, but I wanted to see if and how close the river that runs next to River Road and how close it is to the mouth of the ocean. As you can see, it is very close indeed. Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!  Ocean_10

Here is a picture of the distance between Myrtle Beach and where the mouth of the ocean meets that River.
Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!  Ocean_11

Here is a picture of River Road
Brittanee Drexel, What happend to this Teen?/ Family has created an official Web site for Brittanee/4.25 w/be 3 Years since Brittanee has been missing. New tips have created a new search!!/Traffic tickets proves POI near Drexel's last known location!!  River_10
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:13 pm

Here is a really good article and they even have the 911 call that was placed of the person who found the body.

Wilmington | The skeletal remains found Wednesday afternoon were in a secluded River Road area known for being a spot to dump anything from junk to stolen items and even other bodies.

Related Links:
Human remains found near River Road in Wilmington
Key Documents:
A man calls New Hanover County 911 on Wednesday, Dec. 30, 2009, to report finding human remains in woods along River Road. (Edited to remove discussion about how to locate the caller.)
Wilmington police continued Thursday morning scouring a wooded area off of River Road about 100 feet from the Cape Fear River, where a man who was looking for antique bottles found human bones.

Capt. Marshall Williamson said officers found several more bones Thursday morning, but all the bones were believed to belong to one body. He said officers would continue to examine the area in the next few weeks to search for other clues or bones.

The skeletal remains will be examined over the weekend by an anthropologist, police spokeswoman Lucy Crockett said. On Monday an officer will deliver the remains to the Chief Medical Examiner's Office in Chapel Hill.

Nothing can be determined about the bones until the anthropologist and medical examiner look at them, Williamson said.

Law enforcement officials do not know how long the bones had been there, whether foul play was involved or the age, sex and race of the deceased person. Williamson said the medical examiner would examine the skull that was found and compare it to dental records, if available.

“Anything's possible, and we're leaving everything open at this time,” Williamson said.

River Road mysteries

There's a construction sign at the entrance to a path leading to the area where the skeletal remains were found. Wilmington police cars and a crime scene investigation unit were parked Wednesday night and Thursday morning by the path on River Road, about 1.8 miles south of Independence Road, where they searched for information.

Williamson said people often go to that area to dump debris. But such wooded areas along River Road, untouched thus far by development, are notorious for criminal activity, he said.

“It's been an area in the past where people go to do things they wanted secret from everyone else,” Williamson said.

He said officials have found stolen safes and cars, among other items.

In late January 2009, on the same rural stretch of River Road between Independence and Sanders Road, Alton Corey Vann, 20, was shot to death.

His body was found lying on the side of the road by motorists passing by.

That murder investigation has not been solved, and in July sheriff's deputies were searching for Vann's roommate, 46-year-old Larry Karl Gonzales, for questioning.

Another unsolved murder happened more than a decade ago.

On June 11, 1997, Barbara Jean Anderson, 37, was found dumped in the woods off River Road, also south of the Independence Boulevard intersection.

She'd been strangled with a coat hanger, her body wrapped in a blanket. A fisherman had found her body in the woods, one tenth of a mile off River Road, where someone had driven to the site, dragged the body into the woods and left it on a pile of leaves, according to reports.

Williamson said there are many open missing persons cases in the area, and officers will compare descriptions of the body found this week to those reports once a medical examiner is able to determine the approximate age, sex, weight, height and possible dental records of the individual.

Then officers might be able to piece together what happened to another person whose remains were found off that rural stretch of River Road.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20091231/ARTICLES/912319982/1177?p=all&tc=pgall
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Mommy, you are hereby deemed our MAP MASTER. Seriously, you are great at this. Thank YOU!!!!!!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks for those maps and the article, Mommy! Yes, the map shows the location not far from the ocean, Myrtle Beach Grand Strand and the Golden Mile. There is one thought I have had about this----only locals would know about these perfect places for illegal activities, dumping evidence and dumping bodies. Travelers from other states who are just on vacation would not and it would be quite a stretch to believe a coincidence like that would happen and they would choose that wooded area when the whole trip back up North on the Highway is surrounded by rural, forested, deserted stretches of land and mountains. I think, if foul play, it is a local criminal who dumped the body there and may not have anything to do with Britanee at all, unless a local did this to her. (I also keep remembering that N.C. is having a big problem with sexual slavery rings and drug traffickers and I keep hoping that one of those gangs didn't get a hold of her.)
TerryRose
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next