Florida Police Confirm Body in Landfill Is Somer Thompson/ SO waiting for lab results 1-8-10

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Normal News conference today

Post by Nama on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:01 pm

There will be another new conference Thursday afternoon at 4 p.m. First Coast News will carry it live on air and online.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/mostpopular/news-article.aspx?storyid=147047&provider=top

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Florida Police Confirm Body in Landfill Is Somer Thompson/ SO waiting for lab results 1-8-10

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:25 pm

I think once the autopsy is complete..LE will know more. I pray they find some dna on her poor little body or even fingerprints (if possible) and hone in on her killers. I think there is more than one that was involved in this per the news.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Florida Police Confirm Body in Landfill Is Somer Thompson/ SO waiting for lab results 1-8-10

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:27 pm

I don't normally post other's blogs, but I really liked this:

momblog: How Somer Thompson has forever changed me as a parent

Submitted by Tracy Jones on Thu, 10/22/2009 - 12:25.

I have two very young daughters, Ella and Lydia. I sometimes stare at them in amazement, in awe of them just being, but yesterday when I came home, I gave them each a particularly tighter hug, just happy to see them OK.

Read the rest here. Very heartwarming and so true!!

http://jacksonville.com/interact/blog/tracy_jones/2009-10-22/momblog_how_somer_thompson_has_forever_changed_me_as_a_parent

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal News Conference link

Post by Nama on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:17 pm

thx
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks, BJ.

I am fully confident the killer(s) will be found. This investigation and the LE there are polls apart from PCSO.

They are keeping the autopsy results close to the vest, as it should be. crying

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:45 am

Garbage trucks lead to discovery of dead Fla. girl

By BRENT KALLESTAD, Associated Press Writer Brent Kallestad, Associated Press Writer – 35 mins ago

ORANGE PARK, Fla. – After 7-year-old Somer Thompson vanished on her way home from school, investigators tailed nine garbage trucks from her neighborhood to a Georgia landfill nearly 50 miles away, then picked through the trash as each rig spilled its load.

They sorted through more than 225 tons of garbage before their worst fears were realized: Sticking out of the rubbish were a child's lifeless legs.

Sheriff Rick Beseler said the quick discovery of Somer's body on Wednesday, two days after she disappeared, may have saved precious evidence that could lead to her killer.

"Had we not done this tactic, I believe that body would have been buried beneath hundreds of tons of debris, probably would have gone undiscovered forever," he said Thursday.

An autopsy to establish the cause of death was performed Thursday, but authorities would not disclose their findings. At a news conference, Beseler would not say if Somer had been sexually assaulted or answer other questions about the condition of the body.

"I fear for our community until we bring this person in. This is a heinous crime that's been committed," Beseler said. "And we're going to work as hard as we can to make this community safe."

Searching landfills is common when children disappear, but it is unusual to try to zero in on them more efficiently by tracking a neighborhood's garbage trucks, said Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

"Time is the enemy in these cases and the sheriff used every resource," Allen said.

The sheriff said police have questioned more than 155 registered sex offenders in the area so far. State online records show 88 sex offenders live in Orange Park, a Jacksonville suburb of about 9,000 people just south of Jacksonville Naval Air Station.

Beseler would not say whether investigators believe the crime was committed by more than one person.

Somer's father and other family members were "torn up" upon hearing the news, aunt Laura Holt said.

As for the killer or killers, "I don't think they deserve to live," Holt said. "I don't think there's anything worse that a person can do — to kill a child and dump her in the dump like a piece of trash?"

The girl disappeared in a heavily populated residential area about a mile from a stretch of fast-food restaurants and other businesses. Investigators will presumably try to pinpoint the trash bin or garbage can where she was dumped, based on the trash around her and the truck's pickup route.

Tuesday was trash day in Somer's neighborhood, and it was Detective Bruce Owens' idea to track the garbage trucks to the landfill they use in Folkston, Ga., 48 miles way.

"At that time I realized that this is probably not going to turn out good," the 10-year veteran of the Clay County Sheriff's Office told The Florida Times-Union. But he said he had been expecting to find perhaps a backpack or a piece of clothing, not a body.

The sheriff said he had told the girl's mother, Diena Thompson, to prepare for the worst, and called her after receiving the news Wednesday night.

"Needless to say, she was absolutely devastated," Beseler said. "It was the hardest phone call I've ever had to make in my life, and I hope I never have to make another one like that."

Somer vanished on Monday during her mile-long walk home from school. Authorities said she squabbled with another child and walked ahead of the group. She was last seen outside a vacant house that was on her route home, sheriff's spokeswoman Mary Justino said. Investigators are examining the house for evidence, Justino said.

On Thursday, flowers and dozens of teddy bears were heaped around an oak tree across the street from Somer's home where about 200 people gathered for a candlelight vigil in front of the family's home just after sundown.

Diena Thompson came out to thank the group who sang "Amazing Grace" and "You Are My Sunshine," then recited the Lord's Prayer.

"I wish I could hug every one of you," Thompson said. "I love every one of you."

Neighbor Carter Beukema shouted his comments about if the accused killer goes to trial: "I hope I'm on the jury. He will pay."

Somer "was always happy unless she couldn't find anyone to play with," neighbor Robert Ocain said. "She trusted anybody. Honestly, I think all the kids around here do."

At the tree, Catherine Sullivan held her teary-eyed 5-year-old daughter, Nya Frederick. They drove to the Thompsons' neighborhood from Jacksonville because Sullivan wanted to show her child the dangers of being too friendly with strangers.

"She seemed to understand when I explained to her her mommy wouldn't see her anymore," the mother said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091023/ap_on_re_us/us_missing_child

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Cause of Somer's death kept a secret

Post by Nama on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:52 pm

Clay County investigators know how Somer Thompson died but are keeping those details secret to protect the investigation, Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Mary Justino said today.

An autopsy done in Savannah Thursday has revealed the cause of death of the Orange Park 7-year-old, who disappeared Monday while walking home from school. Somer was initially identified through a birthmark and clothing she was wearing when her body was found Wednesday in a Folkston, Ga., landfill.

A public memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the First Baptist Church of Orange Park, 1140 Kingsley Ave. Graveside services and burial will be private, but there will be a procession from Kingsley Avenue to Blanding Boulevard to the property of Jacksonville Memorial Gardens.

A public viewing will be at the same church from 5 to 8 p.m. on Monday.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-10-23/story/cause_of_somers_death_kept_a_secret_funeral_tuesday_father_coming_from_n

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:14 pm

This poor baby. OMG, I pray she was not sexually molested!

I cannot believe they are having a public viewing. As a mother and grandmother, there is absolutely no way I could handle that. Just No Way!! The mere thought freaks me out!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:09 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:38 am

Wrapitup wrote:This poor baby. OMG, I pray she was not sexually molested!

I cannot believe they are having a public viewing. As a mother and grandmother, there is absolutely no way I could handle that. Just No Way!! The mere thought freaks me out!!
There is no way in the world I could do that. I think they are keeping the mom drugged.....she is not as hysterical as I would be.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:59 am

CritterFan I think you may be right
she must be sedated.
Isn't it odd how we always watch these people so closely, looking for some clue from their reactions?
Did they cry to much or not enough? Did they laugh inappropriately? Get a tattoo? Hide from our scrutiny?
Most of us (Thankfully) will never have the experience of losing something so valuable as a child in this manner.

Does anyone know if there is some certain way you're suppose to behave after something this horrible has happened?
NO!
But Casey Anthony showed the world how you're NOT Suppose to act!

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:04 am

Parents Claim Child was Almost Abducted 2 Weeks Ago

Taren Reed Monica Landeros Created: 10/23/2009 9:55:44 PM Updated: 10/23/2009 11:47:32 PM

ORANGE PARK, FL -- First Coast News spoke to the parents who say their child was almost abducted about two weeks before Somer Thompson disappeared. They visited Somer's home to pay their respects and visit Diena, Somer's mom.

The parents tell First Coast News' Monica Landeros their 5-year-old was approached by three people in a car just a block from the vacant home on Gano Avenue being investigated.

Little Kaylee Randle signed a poster for Somer Thompson. Her parents feel a bond with the Thompsons, because they believe Kaylee Randle was almost abducted two weeks before Somer was murdered.

"We were having a yard sale and she was riding her bike and she just took off," said Kaylee's father James Brothroyd.

Police say that's when the girl said three people in a car tried to lure her inside.

James said the people spoke to Kaylee, saying "your mom wants us to take you home, get in the car."

Parents James and April said a passerby scared away the car. They reported it to police, but they say a warning was never put out in the neighborhood.

"It's outrageous to me nothing was done!" added James.

The family is all the more concerned because they live down the block from the vacant house being investigated on Gano Ave.

April, Kaylee's mother, said "My daughter hasn't been outside by herself. My son is 10, we used to let them be outside, we don't do that no more."

The Clay County Sheriff's Department was initially looking for a blue car, but several days ago, they believed it had nothing to do with Somer's Disappearance.

Still, the parents say if an alert had been put out a few weeks ago, maybe parents here would have been more vigilant and Somer would still be safe at home.

Somer disappeared on her walk home from school Monday afternoon. Detectives scoured a Georgia landfill and found a child's remains.

At a Thursday morning news conference, authorities confirmed that the remains found were that of the missing 7-year-old.

CLICK HERE for complete coverage on the Somer Thompson case

and, to see the video:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=147134&catid=3#

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:07 am

Sex Offender Worked on Renovation at the Thompson's House
Ann Butler Created: 10/23/2009 5:02:00 PM Updated: 10/24/2009 8:13:46 AM

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- A man that worked on the renovation of the house at 1080 Gano Ave., where 7-year-old murder victim Somer Thompson was last seen alive, is a registered sex offender.

Vinson Design and Build is the construction company that was working on the Orange Park home, which has been vacant since a fire several months, according to Clay County public records.

James Vinson owns the company. Vinson's brother, George Vinson, who works for the company, is a registered sexual offender, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement sexual offender website.

The Gano house is the last place witnesses saw Somer Thompson, who vanished Monday on her way home from school. Police found the first-grader's body Wednesday in a Georgia landfill; the manner and cause of death have not been released.

According to the Clay County Sheriff's Office, as of this afternoon, there were no suspects in the case.

The Vinsons' sister Alissa Barrs, who lives at the same address in Mandarin as George Vinson, said her brothers have been questioned by police. She said on Friday afternoon that George Vinson, 33, worked at the Gano home about two months ago, but then found other work.

James Vinson and his business partner were interrogated for hours by detectives on Thursday, she said, and George Vinson was being questioned Friday.

Police searched their Mandarin home Thursday and seized a truck and trailer from their property, she said.

First Coast News made two attempts to reach James Vinson. During one phone call, he said, "I don't want to talk about it" and hung up. The second phone call resulted in another hang up.

A memorial has been arranged for Somer. CLICK HERE for more information on the plans.

and video:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=147122&catid=3

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marica on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:59 pm

Nite wrote: Does anyone know if there is some certain way you're suppose to behave after something this horrible has happened?
Of course there is no WAY one is supposed to act, so we see all sorts of behaviors. The key, IMO, is when the behavior is inappropriate behavior & remains consistant, such as with casey anthony. And then of course, there is our own original gut reaction to behaviors. Even when sad, we can sometimes smile, even laugh a little, but still our pain is in the eye. Who said, "the eye is the window to the soul" ( or something to that affect. Anyway, this is what I, an no doubt most of VH reacts to.
Marica

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:20 am

CritterFan1 wrote:
Wrapitup wrote:This poor baby. OMG, I pray she was not sexually molested!

There is no way in the world I could do that. I think they are keeping the mom drugged.....she is not as hysterical as I would be.

Sometimes people are still in shock in these cases and are just walking around in a daze. When the funeral is over and the crowds dissipate in their emotional support and the grief-stricken loved one is left alone with their own thoughts, that is when it hits and it hits very, very hard afterwards. That is usually when the loved one of the deceased breaks down very badly.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:39 pm

Mother Praises Police Searching For Girl's Killer

Posted: 12:56 pm EDT October 23, 2009
Updated: 9:22 pm EDT October 24, 2009

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- The mother of a 7-year-old Florida girl found slain in a landfill praised the hard work of authorities combing through evidence to find clues to her daughter's killer.

DOCUMENT: Read Incident Report
SLIDESHOWS: Abandoned Home | Vigil | Landfill
RAW INTERVIEWS: Mom | Grandparents | Detective
TRACKING THE KILLER: Techiniques & Tactics Used

"These detectives -- excuse my language -- are busting their (expletive) to find it. Because it's an it," Diena Thompson said Saturday, referring to the killer of her daughter, Somer.

Thompson spoke to dozens of mourners and supporters holding a vigil outside her home. They gathered around a huge makeshift memorial of Hannah Montana balloons, stuffed animals and candles that have burned so long that the wax has melted into the grass.

"I just want you guys to know I really do love you," Thompson said. "I can't believe the support I've been given."

Dozens of parents, their young children in tow, have filed past the memorial. Many were angry, sad and afraid as they waited for developments in the search for what happened to Somer as she walked home from school Monday.

Clay County sheriff's detectives have received more than 1,100 tips and leads in the disappearance case of 7-year-old Somer Thompson, according to spokeswoman Mary Justino. The agency has also talked to around 2,000 people who might know something, Justino said. Extra resources have been devoted to fifty of them.

"More time has been spent with them doing one-on-one interviews," Justino said, but would not call any of those 50 persons suspects.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement special agent Dominick Pape also addressed reporters at a daily briefing outside the Orange Park operations center of the Clay County Sheriff's Office on Saturday. He negated reports of an abduction attempt in the area where Somer was last seen. Reports of that attempt were first broadcast October 10 when a blue Nissan was scene in the area of Gano Avenue.

Pape said an FDLE agent and his family were leaving a football game when they saw a little girl narrowly miss getting hit by a car. The agent pulled over and asked the girl if she was okay and if he should call police. She refused help and walked home. Pape said reports of an abduction attempt are simply unfounded.

Somer was last seen alive walking along the sidewalk in front of a vacant house on Gano Avenue (see map), and authorities said Friday that they're searching for anyone who saw what happened to the 7-year-old after that. Investigators sifted through evidence from that vacant house and the Georgia landfill where her body was found Wednesday.

Eyewitness News learned that a registered sex offender worked at the vacant home at least two months ago. George Vinson reportedly worked for his brother's building company that did repairs at the house after a fire, but his sister told Eyewitness News over the phone he's not a suspect and never was.

Vinson's sister said he passed a polygraph test conducted by the Clay County Sheriff's Office and said he's fully cooperated with detectives.

The investigation into the vacant home was finished Saturday, as has one at the landfill in Folkston, Georgia, where Somer's body was found Wednesday amid the rubbish. Her legs were sticking out of a mound of trash, according to Justino.

So far, no witnesses have come forward to say they saw Somer attacked or abducted, Clay County Sheriff's spokeswoman Mary Justino said.

"What we've been trying to figure out is who frequents that area, because obviously it's more than just the people who live there," she said.

The day after the child's body was identified, authorities said they had ruled out all 161 registered sex offenders who lived within a 5-mile radius of Somer's home.

Neighbors said they were used to watching out for each other's children as they walked to and from school.

Marie Spires of New Richmond, Ohio, is Somer's maternal great grandmother. She walked out of the family's home Saturday afternoon to look at the growing memorial.

"I'm shocked that this could happen in this type of community," she said. "And that no one would see or hear anything."

An autopsy has been completed and investigators know how Somer died, but authorities won't disclose their findings or any details about the body.

Spires said she doesn't know how the little girl died and detectives have not shared any theories about who killed Somer.

At a vigil held outside the Thompsons' home Friday night, Somer's mother said she would not be able to see her daughter's body.

"They are going to give me a lock of her hair," Diena Thompson said.

The mother spent part of Saturday meeting with officials of the First Baptist Church, planning her daughter's viewing on Monday and funeral on Tuesday. After the funeral, mourners plan to release hundreds of purple balloons. Purple was Somer's favorite color.

VIEWING INFO: Monday, October 26th, 2009 from 5-8pm at First Baptist Church Orange Park, 1140 Kingsley Avenue, Orange Park, FL, 904-264-2351 MEMORIAL SERVICE: Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 at 11am at First Baptist Church Orange Park

The viewing and funeral are open to the public, but graveside services and the burial are private. The slaying has shocked the Jacksonville area, and inspired many people from outside the area to drive to Orange Park to show their support.

Vonda Durden, 60, visited the site from Woodbine, Ga., with her 14-year-old granddaughter.

"It's a nice-looking neighborhood, nice houses, nice people," she said, shaking her head. "And you can't even let a little child walk these streets."

Previous Stories:

* October 23, 2009: Mom To Killer: "We're Coming For You, We'll Get You"
* October 22, 2009: Body Confirmed To Be Missing Girl, Ruled Homicide
* October 22, 2009: Sheriff: Clothes, Birthmark ID Missing Girl's Body
* October 21, 2009: Landfill Becomes Focus Of Search For Missing Girl
* October 21, 2009: Amber Alert Issued For Missing 7-Year-Old

http://www.wftv.com/news/21403889/detail.html

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:05 pm

Justice for Somer Thompson:
Predator May Have Killed Before
'America's Most Wanted' Host John Walsh Said Florida Community Has Reason to Be Fearful
By SARAH NETTER
Oct. 26, 2009

The person who killed 7-year-old Somer Thompson may have preyed on children before, making the search for the second-grader's slayer that much more urgent, police said.

Read rest of article here:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/somer-thompson-killer-serial-child-predator/story?id=8915179

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:47 am

New thread about:

Four men were arrested at the home of Somer Thompson for armed robbery

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Somer-Thompson-Police-Report

Post by Nama on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:49 am

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Details from the incident report

Post by Nama on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Details from the incident report
The Sheriff’s Office released a copy of the incident report Thursday night and some new details about circumstances involving Somer’s disappearance. They included:
— Somer’s mother, Diena Thompson, told deputies she first learned of her daughter’s disappearance from family friend Sean Patton, who was visiting the home and was asked by Thompson to wait for the children to arrive home from school. He said Somer’s twin brother and older sister arrived about 3:10 p.m. without her and they told him she ran from them after her sister confronted her about getting into a fight with another girl at school.
— Somer’s sister, Abigail, 10, said she lost sight of her as she ran into a group of other children. She last saw her running west on Gano Avenue near Solomon Street.
— Patton, 28, said he sent the older sister to look for her, but she returned 15 minutes later not having found her sibling. He sent her back saying look again real hard before he calls her mother. Patton texted Thompson about 4 p.m. and told her Somer hadn’t come home.
— Charles Currier, Thompson’s live-in boyfriend, told deputies she called about 4:20 p.m. and asked him to get off work to help look for Somer. Currier, 38, said he arrived about 5 p.m., picked up Somer’s twin brother, Samuel, and they went out looking for her. Thompson soon flagged down a deputy to report her daughter missing.

http://jacksonville.com/community/my_clay_sun/2009-10-22/story/search_for_clues_continues_at_scene_near_where_somer_thompson

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:07 pm

Again nothing in the link regarding this home robbery.
Something is not right about it.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:40 pm

Somer Thompson: new developments in North Florida murder case to be announced tomorrow

Following Somer Thompson’s heavily-attended funeral service at Orange Park Baptist Church and after her burial in Jacksonville Memory Gardens today, Clay County (Florida) Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Mary Justino issued an advisory relating to forthcoming information on the 7 year old girl’s murder investigation.

In the continuing, all-out search for Somer Thompson’s killer, Justino relates that Clay County police will announce new developments in the case tomorrow.

In light of Somer’s memorial services and burial today, Sheriff Rick Beseler said police were “continuing to work but were keeping a low profile until the services were over.”

With their extensive investigation ongoing, according to Mary Justino, “At this hour, work is being done to compile specific information about behavior that the suspect in this case might exhibit.”

She adds, “This will be finalized by our team overnight and will announced tomorrow.”

http://www.examiner.com/x-23328-True-Crime-Examiner~y2009m10d27-Somer-Thompson-new-information-forthcoming

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:49 pm

NiteSpinR wrote:CritterFan I think you may be right
she must be sedated.
Isn't it odd how we always watch these people so closely, looking for some clue from their reactions?
Did they cry to much or not enough? Did they laugh inappropriately? Get a tattoo? Hide from our scrutiny?
Most of us (Thankfully) will never have the experience of losing something so valuable as a child in this manner.

Does anyone know if there is some certain way you're suppose to behave after something this horrible has happened?
NO!
But Casey Anthony showed the world how you're NOT Suppose to act!
Couple Hugging we love you nitespinr.

Ditto. We all handle grief differently. I loved how you added KC showed everyone what your not suppose to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:46 pm

I am confused. Was there a home robbery or not? If so, when? Wouldn't Mrs. Thompson have mentioned this?? Maybe I have jet lag..but this makes no sense.?????

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:56 pm

There was a robbery because four dudes got arrested, but we don't know if it happened at Somer's home or not. Someone on SM said that she called a news station and they told her that the address listed in the Sheriff's report was not correct and that it had been corrected. The Sheriff's report has NOT been changed. Address is still the same as it was. Is LE lying to us or does this robbery have nothing to do with Somer's death? Who knows. Maybe tomorrow at the news conference we will know more.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:05 pm

OK, thanks BJ. Either way, it w/be interesting to know if this is directly related to Somer's murder.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal George and Cindy Anthony attend funeral of Somer Thompson

Post by Nama on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:55 am

George and Cindy Anthony attend funeral of slain 7 year old

George and Cindy Anthony were among the thousands of people that attended the funeral for a 7-year-old girl who was found dead in a South Georgia landfill.

Somer Thompson disappeared October 19th while walking home from school. Her body was found by detectives two days later.

Cameras with our sister-station, Channel 9 Eyewitness News, showed the Anthonys walking into the public funeral.

The two became advocates for missing and murdered children after their granddaughter Caylee was found dead in a wooded area near the Anthony home.

George Anthony traveled to Putnam County to help in the search for 5-yearly Haleigh Cummings who went missing in February.

The Anthonys have also started the Caylee Marie Anthony Foundation to assist efforts to find missing children.

http://wdbo.com/localnews/2009/10/george-and-cindy-anthony-atten.html

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Juanita on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:16 am

nice tan
Juanita

http://janiesuper.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Normal Look for CHANGES IN BEHAVIOR

Post by Nama on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:11 pm

CHANGES IN BEHAVIOR

Leaving the area unexpectedly
Missing work or other routine engagements
Unexplained injuries
Unnatural interest in investigation
Noted increase in nervousness and irritability
Sudden shaving of facial or head hair or new mustache
No longer using personal or work vehicle; hiding it
Change in expression of religious beliefs
Sleep pattern changes
Change in use of alcohol, drugs, cigarettes

The sheriff is asking people to report any significant changes in behavior of anyone since Somer vanished while walking home from Grove Park Elementary School.

Beseler previously said he believes the killer or killers is watching the investigation closely, and for that reason, he said he would not talk about the cause of death or any leads investigators are tracking down.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21449384/detail.html

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:17 pm

This is so sad for all of her family, hard to imagine what they all are going thru. May justice be swift and her killer found sooner, rather than later.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:23 pm

wesh.com also says killer might have cuts on upper arms or body. Not sure why they think so they dont say.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:27 pm

Maybe from blood on her clothes that was not hers, from fighting back??
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:31 pm

or perhaps there was DNA (skin or blood) under her fingernails.

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Somer To Be Topic Of America's Most Wanted

Post by Nama on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:28 pm

The hunt for the killer of little Somer Thompson will hit national airwaves.

Today Clay County sheriff Rick Beseler met with a crew from America's Most Wanted as the shows prepares to air the case nationally Saturday Night.

The reward offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of Somer Thompson's killer now stands at $45,000 from the Justice Coalition and Crime Stoppers.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/11/2/somer_to_be_topic_of_america39s_most_wanted.html

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Some of the above behavioral changes sounds like Ron Cummings.

I think Clay County is very smart to keep what they know close to the vest as I completely agree that the killer(s) are listening closely to the media.

Thanks, BJ, for the heads up on AMW Saturday.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:43 am

The Somer Thompson case will be featured on America's Most Wanted today at PM EST.

It is hard to believe this case is still unsolved and there is no one in custody!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:34 am

Maybe this will help get the attention back on her case.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:42 pm

January 5, 2010
The Clay County Sheriff's office says they're still waiting on lab results they hope will lead to Somer Thompson's killer.
Detectives collected what they describe as a large quantity of evidence at both the garbage dump where the 7-year-old's body was found, and a vacant home near Somer's school.
They're also following up on nearly 4,500 tips they've received since the little girl went missing while walking home from school in Orange Park in October.

http://wokv.com/localnews/2010/01/search-for-somers-killer-far-f.html

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:00 pm

I am glad to see they are working on it. Thanks, BJ for the article.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I agree with TerryRose, Thanks BJ for the update article I agree
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:23 pm

I was thinking about her today and couldn't find any current articles - thank you for keeping this in the forefront!

Back to top Go down

Normal social worker warned about the danger of the 7-year-old girl's walks from school a year before a killer snatched her

Post by Nama on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:34 am

A social worker at Somer Thompson's school warned about the danger of the 7-year-old girl's walks from school a year before a killer snatched her on her way home, according to state records obtained by the Florida Times-Union.

The unidentified worker told the Department of Children and Families that Somer and her three siblings got lost at least once walking from Grove Park Elementary School and were found in woods with a stranger. The worker indicated that Somer's mother needed to pay more attention to the children's safety and get them into day care at the school.

But a two-week probe by Children and Families concluded the allegation about the children getting lost and being found with a stranger had no basis. It also found Diena Thompson properly arranged for her children to be taken to and from school, about a mile away, and that it was acceptable for them to walk home when necessary. Day care was suggested to her as an option, but not required.

The case was closed without any findings of wrongdoing, according to the records provided to the Times-Union last week.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=150748

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Somer's father is currently trying to get custody of his children

Post by Nama on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:59 am

Ever since authorities found the lifeless body of his daughter in a Georgia landfill 2 1/2 months ago, Sam Thompson’s main concern has been to catch the killer and make sure the rest of his children are safe.

Day in and day out, the Graham resident has managed to keep his sanity thanks to the support of people in the community and by focusing only on the positive.

Instead of thinking or wondering about what horrible things his 7-year-old daughter, Somer, may have gone through after she was abducted on her way home from school in Jacksonville, Fla., that October afternoon, Thompson said he prefers to fill his mind with warm memories of when his baby was still around.

“The time the Lord gave us with her was precious,” he said. “I am thankful about that.”

But after reading an article in a Florida newspaper Thursday about a social worker’s concerns about Somer and her siblings walking home from school, Thompson could not help but wonder whether something could have been done to protect his little girl.

“It seems to me somebody took the eye off the prize,” 41-year-old Thompson said.

The article in the Florida Times-Union centers around a social worker’s report to the Department of Children and Families a year prior to the girl’s disappearance detailing how Somer and her siblings got lost at least once while walking from school and how they were found in some woods with a stranger.

According to the newspaper, the worker suggested that Somer’s mother needed to pay more attention to the children’s safety. However, a two-week investigation by the department found the allegation had no basis and that the children’s mother, Diena Thompson, had “properly arranged for her children to be taken to and from school,” the newspaper reported.

The article went on to say that the department also found that the risk of the children walking the mile that separated their house from school when necessary was low.

Though Sam Thompson said he is not pointing fingers at anybody, the fact that someone was concerned about his children’s well-being raises some questions. He said he was not aware that there had been an investigation involving the Department of Children and Families regarding this issue.

He said that perhaps if the allegation had been better-handled, “Somer would be here with us right now.” If in fact, he said, the children walking home from school was not a risk, as the investigation suggested, “Why is my daughter not here with us?”

“Somebody failed her in protecting her,” he added.

Thompson is currently trying to get custody of his children. He said that process has been going on for quite some time. He said this is not about him or his ex-wife but about Somer.

“She is the one who didn’t get to go to prom, have a first kiss,” he said. “She is the one who has been let down.”

When Somer and her siblings lived with Thompson here in 2006, she attended Alexander Wilson Elementary School. She had been living with her mother and siblings in Orange Park, a suburb of Jacksonville.

Sam Thompson said he hopes other parents learn to be more careful with their children as a result of what happened to Somer.

“When we feel the safest, we are actually not,” he said, adding that there will always be people who want to hurt children. “You can’t take your eyes off of your kids.”

He said right now he only wants to make sure the person who killed Somer is caught. He also wants to make sure the rest of his children, who live with their mother in Florida, continue getting the help they need to not let this affect them for the rest of their lives.

“It’s a process,” he said. “Over time, things are supposed to get better.”

He said he is thankful for the people who offered prayers and support for him and his ex-wife during this difficult time. He said he continues praying for healing for both his ex-wife and his children.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/daughter-30965-landfill-ever.html

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by janie on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks for the article BJ! Just like so many of you here I was thinking about this case. I was hoping LE might have some good leads by now. I'm afraid that whoever murdered innocent little Somer might get his confidence back since he hasn't been caught and try to abduct another child.
janie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:16 pm

It's past the 8th of January......still waiting for the lab results to be released. :scratch:

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:28 pm

The reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for the murder of Somer Thompson has increased to $64,000. A number of different organizations have contributed to the reward fund. The Justice Coalition Justice for Somer award has been increased to $48,000 and the Allied Veterans of the World, Inc. and Affiliates contributed $25,000 towards the fund. Molly Hatchett raised more than $8,500 through a benefit concert and other funds have been contributed through individuals. Between the Justice Coalition Justice for Somer fund and Crime Stoppers, the fund currently totals a reward of $64,000.
http://primewriter.com/news-1246-headlines/?p=1167

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:42 pm

How long does it take to get lab results? I can't believe that it takes this long!!
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by janie on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:36 am

Here's a video of Somer's mom on the Today show.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/
janie

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:08 pm

ORANGE PARK, Fla. (CBS/AP) A school social worker reportedly warned Somer Thompson's mother about the danger of the child walking home from school a year before the 7-year-old was abducted and murdered.

Photo: Somer Thompson.

PICTURES: Somer Thompson

The unidentified worker told the Department of Children and Families that Somer Thompson and her three siblings got lost at least once walking from Grove Park Elementary School and were found in the woods with a stranger.

Photo: Diena Thompson speaks during a morning television news conference on Oct. 21, 2009.

PICTURES: Somer Thompson

But a Florida Department of Children and Families probe concluded the allegation had no basis. It also found the girl's mother, Diena Thompson, properly arranged for her children to be taken to and from school.

Somer Thompson vanished in late October 2009 as she was walking home from school. Her body was found 50 miles from her home in a Georgia landfill where trash from her neighborhood was dumped.

No one has been charged in her death.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/22/crimesider/entry6128691.shtml
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum