Nidal Hasan Found GUILTY Of All 13 Counts Of Premeditated Murder For Shootings At Fort Hood

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Re: Nidal Hasan Found GUILTY Of All 13 Counts Of Premeditated Murder For Shootings At Fort Hood

Post by NikkiinTx on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Shooter's not dead!! Per press conference

NikkiinTx

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Nidal Hasan Found GUILTY Of All 13 Counts Of Premeditated Murder For Shootings At Fort Hood

Post by Marica on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:37 pm

I hope all will pray for recovery, and that he will tell someone WHAT exactly WAS going through his mind. I am always saddened when a killer is killed as no one can ever know what he/she was thinking, WHY they killed.
Marica

Back to top Go down

Normal The gunman, who officials initially said was killed, is wounded but ALIVE

Post by Nama on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:39 pm

At least one soldier opened fire on a military processing center at Fort Hood in Texas on Thursday, killing 12 and wounding 31 others, officials at the Army base said.
The gunman, who officials initially said was killed, is wounded but alive, Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said.
Cone said that man is believed to be the only shooter. Two other soldiers briefly taken into custody after the incident were later released, a spokesman said.
The gunman, who officials said was wounded by emergency personnel, was identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, a law enforcement source told CNN.
A graduate of Virginia Tech, Hasan was a psychiatrist who was licensed in Virginia and was practicing at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, according to professional records. Previously, he worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
A federal official said Hasan is a U.S. citizen of Jordanian descent. Military documents show that Hasan was born in Virginia, and was never deployed outside the United States.
Hasan was scheduled to be deployed to Iraq "and appeared to be upset about that," Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said.
"I think that there is a lot of investigation going on now into his background and what he was doing that was not known before," Hutchison said.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Sounds like he had terrorist leanings, huh? Sounds like he condoned suicide bombing, no? Just think of the poor patients he has been "treating" who looked to him for guidance---upsetting! Thanks to all for your reports on this that you have been posting.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:07 pm

On NG, it was said that his family was NOT happy about him joining the military.

Nikki, thank you for all your updates. And thank you for going to give blood.

Per Anderson Cooper, "His death is NOT imminent."

I also heard on Nancy Grace that a female was shot in the face and not expected to live.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:16 pm

suspect is out of surgery and is stable.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Normal do not to speak to the media

Post by Nama on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:21 pm

A soldier who asked not to be identified told CNN that an e-mail went out to all base personnel instructing them not to speak to the media.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:24 pm

BJ in OR wrote:A soldier who asked not to be identified told CNN that an e-mail went out to all base personnel instructing them not to speak to the media.

I think that is wise.

Even NG said the shooter was dead.

OMG, this is where my son used to go when he was in the Army Reserves. So damned scary!!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Shooter is in custody and in stable condition

Post by Nama on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Nidal Malik Hasan told a store owner he was a native of Jordan...Hasan WAS born in US

Post by Nama on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:49 pm

On a report on CNN Major Nidal Malik Hasan told a store owner that he was a native of Jordan. The name now alleged to be the gunman in the Fort Hood shooting on Thursday also expressed fears about his deployment.
Major Nidal Malik Hasan is said to have fears that he would have to shot a fellow Muslim according to a store owner that served the man almost every morning. The store owner has not been identified by CNN but has released video from this morning when the Major came into the store for an early morning coffee. This morning Major Nidal Malik Hasan was wearing traditional Muslim garb.
It is known that Hasan was born in the United States. His parents were from Palestine.
The store owner said that Hasan wore various outfits depending on the day. He would often speak to Hasan. The store owner said that Hasan calm this morning when he came in for his morning coffee.
The following information came from a piece aired this evening on CNN.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Nadal Malik Hasan, Suspected Fort Hood Shooter, Was Called "Camel Jockey"

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:15 am

Fort Hood Shooting Suspect Harassed By Others In Military and Wanted Out, Family Said
By BRIAN ROSS, JOSEPH RHEE, ANNA SCHECTER, AVNI PATEL, ETHAN NELSON, and DESIREE ADIB
Nov. 6, 2009

Fort Hood shooting suspect, Major Nidal Malik Hasan, wanted out of the Army after being constantly harassed by others in the military and was called a "camel jockey," his family said.

As Hasan was about to be deployed to Iraq, he was suffering from some of the same stresses that he was trained as an Army psychiatrist to treat.

Although the 39-year-old had just been promoted to major in May, his family says he had hired a lawyer to help him get out of the Armed Forces.

"Apparently became very disgruntled in the mission in Iraq and Afghanistan and voiced that to a lot of his colleagues," said Rep. Michael McCaul (R-TX).

He also voiced it to the world in an Internet posting, where he compared suicide bombers to GI's who save their colleagues by throwing themselves on a grenade.

"Just keep in mind mass killers pretty much know they want to die and they tend to take as many people with them as they can in a shooting," said former FBI agent and ABC News consultant Brad Garrett, who also believes Hasan didn't want to survive the Ft. Hood shooting.

"It is one of those things where he went and wanted to kill a lot of people and commit suicide maybe in his own mind that he's saving peoples' lives," said Garrett. "As illogical as that sounds, in his mind, that would be quite logical."

Hasan is an American citizen of Palestinian descent and after the 9/11 attacks, his cousin says he was the target of constant harassment from others in the military. His tormentors called him a "camel jockey," said his cousin, Nader Hasan. He wanted out of the Army, so he paid back his military student loans and hired an attorney.

While the bullying irritated Hasan, Nader Hasan believes his upcoming deployment is what set him off. The cousin said, "My mom is his mom… and we didn't know he was being deployed until we heard it on the news today."

Hasan went to college at Virginia Tech and studied medicine at the military's medical school.

A Silver Spring, MD neighbor told ABC News she was interviewed Thursday by the FBI about Hasan.

"He's a quiet man, he looked like a nice person to me, so since I have been living here I never heard a noise in that house," said Vivian Tchangan, who added that Hasan wrote "Allah" on his door.

A devout Muslim, Hasan described himself as reserved and funny in an application for a Muslim marriage matchmaking program run by Imam Faizul Khan or the Islamic Society of Washington Area.

Khan told ABC News Hasan was looking for an equally devout wife. He said, "He wants someone who prays everyday, who adheres to the Quran, who is a good muslim woman."

According to military records, Hasan worked as a psychiatrist at the Walter Reed military hospital for six years until this July. Congressman McCaul says Hasan had a poor performance evaluation at Walter Reed, which resulted in his transfer to Ft. Hood and "while there received a lot of advanced training in weapons, shooting classes."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:43 am

By APRIL CASTRO and DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writers April Castro And Devlin Barrett, Associated Press Writers – 3 mins ago

FORT HOOD, Texas – An Army psychiatrist set to be shipped overseas opened fire at the Fort Hood Army post Thursday, authorities said, a rampage that killed 12 people and left 31 wounded in the worst mass shooting ever at a military base in the United States.

The gunman, first said to have been killed, was wounded but alive in a hospital under military guard, said Lt. Gen. Bob Cone at Fort Hood. He was shot four times, and was on a ventilator and unconscious, according to military officials. "I would say his death is not imminent," Cone said.

The man was identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, a 39-year-old from Virginia.

President Barack Obama called the shooting at the Soldier Readiness Center, where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening, "a horrific outburst of violence."

"It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas," the commander in chief said. "It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil."

Soldiers rushed to treat their injured colleagues by ripping their uniforms into makeshift bandages. Officials have not ruled out the possibility that some casualties may have been victims of "friendly fire," shot by authorities amid the mayhem and confusion at the scene, said a senior U.S. official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss matters that were under investigation.

Hasan had transferred to Fort Hood in July from Walter Reed Medical Center, where he received a poor performance evaluation, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said generals at Fort Hood told her that Hasan was about to deploy overseas. Retired Col. Terry Lee, who said he had worked with Hasan, told Fox News he was being sent to Afghanistan.

Lee said Hasan had hoped Obama would pull troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq and got into frequent arguments with others in the military who supported the wars.

Faizul Khan, a former imam at a mosque Hasan attended in Silver Spring, Md., said he spoke often with Hasan about how Hasan wanted to find a wife. Hasan was a lifelong Muslim and attended prayers regularly, often in his Army uniform, Khan said.

The shooter used two pistols, one of them semiautomatic. Neither were military-issued, Col. Ben Danner said.

Video from the scene showed police patrolling the area with handguns and rifles, ducking behind buildings for cover. Sirens could be heard wailing while a woman's voice on a public-address system urged people to take cover.

"I was confused and just shocked," said Spc. Jerry Richard, 27, who works at the center but was not on duty during the shooting. "Overseas you are ready for it. But here you can't even defend yourself."

Soldiers at Fort Hood don't carry weapons unless they are doing training exercises.

The Rev. Greg Schannep was about to head into a graduation ceremony when a man in uniform approached him, warning him that someone had opened fire. Schannep heard three volleys of gunfire and saw people running.

"There was a burst of shots and more bursts of shots and people running everywhere," said Schannep, who works for local Congressman John Carter.

The uniformed man who had warned him ran to the theater. Schannep said he could see the man's back was bloodied from a wound. The man survived, was treated and will be fine, Schannep said.

Cone said initially three people were held, and all have been interviewed. Authorities believe, however, that there was a single shooter. In Washington, the senior U.S. official said authorities at Fort Hood initially thought one of the slain victims was the shooter, a mistake that resulted in a delay of several hours in identifying Hasan as the suspect.

The Soldier Readiness Center holds hundreds of people and is one of the most populated parts of the base, said Steve Moore, a spokesman for III Corps at Fort Hood. Nearby there are barracks and a food center where there are fast food chains.

The wounded were dispersed among hospitals in central Texas, Cone said. Their identities, and the identities of the dead, were not immediately released.

Amber Bahr, 19, was shot in the stomach but was in stable condition, said her mother, Lisa Pfund of Random Lake, Wis.

"We know nothing, just that she was shot in the belly," Pfund told The Associated Press. She couldn't provide more details and only spoke with emergency personnel.

Hasan, whose family said he was born in suburban Washington, is single with no children. He graduated from Virginia Tech, where he was a member of the ROTC and earned a bachelor's degree in biochemistry in 1997. He received his medical degree from the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., in 2001 and was at Walter Reed for six years for his internship, residency and a fellowship.

"We are shocked and saddened by the terrible events at Fort Hood today," his cousin, Nadar Hasan, said in a statement issued on behalf of their family. "We send the families of the victims our most heartfelt sympathies."

The attack happened just down the road from one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history. On Oct. 16, 1991, George Hennard smashed his pickup truck through a Luby's Cafeteria window in Killeen, Texas, and fired on the lunchtime crowd with a high-powered pistol, killing 22 people and wounding at least 20 others.

No other shooting at a military base in the U.S. has been anywhere near as deadly as Thursday's. In 1993, a gunman at Fort Knox shot five civilian co-workers, killing three, and then fatally shot himself.

Around the country, some bases stepped up security precautions, but no others were locked down.

Covering 339 square miles, Fort Hood is the largest active duty armored post in the United States. Home to about 52,000 troops as of earlier this year, it is located halfway between Austin and Waco.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:53 am

I am so worried that this death toll will continue to rise.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:01 am

I think that it will, Critter.

A cousin of Nidal Malik Hasan says the family saw that as 'probably his worst nightmare.' The Army psychiatrist trained to help returning soldiers had heard horror stories about the war.

Reporting from Washington - He was trained by the military as a psychiatrist to help returning soldiers deal with the mental stress of combat, but by some reports, the horror stories he heard gradually began to change him too.

Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan turned against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and was becoming a more devout Muslim.

When he recently got orders to deploy to Iraq on Nov. 28, he became distraught.

"He never told us" he was going to deploy, his cousin Nader Hasan told Fox News. "We've known for the last five years that was probably his worst nightmare. He would tell us how he would hear things, horrific things."

Investigators are now poring over the pieces of Hasan's life after the shootings Thursday at Ft. Hood, Texas, looking for what might have led to his alleged attacks on the base, to which he had been transferred in July.

Nader Hasan told news outlets that his cousin had complained of being harassed for being a Muslim and had tried to leave the military.

A senior U.S. counter- terrorism official said Thursday night that the Army and FBI were looking into whether Hasan, 39, had come to the attention of federal law enforcement officials as the suspected author of inflammatory Internet comments likening suicide bombers to heroic soldiers who give their lives to save others.

The official refused to say whether Hasan's alleged comments and actions were significant enough to prompt an investigation or monitoring by the FBI or other law enforcement agencies.

Such comments would paint a picture of a man that contrasts sharply with the recollections of his neighbors, who portrayed him as quiet and polite.

While completing his medical internship and residency at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, Hasan lived in a 22-story brick apartment building in Silver Spring, Md., that had a sprinkling of military service members but catered mostly to people of modest incomes.

Viviane Tchanghan was Hasan's next-door neighbor.

"He was a nice man, quiet," said Tchanghan, 30, a waitress. "We used to say, 'hi' and 'hi,' that's it. I was shocked this morning."

She said Hasan mostly kept to himself. He had taped a piece of paper on his door with writing in a foreign script that she took to be Arabic. She said that someone told her the inscription said "Allah," or "God."

The Rev. Malcolm Frazier, 59, a United Methodist minister at Howard University and a 10-year resident of the building, described Hasan as short and stocky with an olive complexion. He said he would exchange pleasantries with Hasan from time to time.

Frazier said he saw Hasan either in uniform or in what he took to be Muslim attire, a long garment with pants underneath and a skullcap.

Other neighbors said they saw him come and go in his military uniform, carrying a small black duffel bag.

FBI agents interviewing the neighbors Thursday asked people not to discuss Hasan.

Hasan was born in Virginia and grew up with two brothers in Roanoke.

He attended college at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va., where he majored in biochemistry.

Hasan joined the military in 1997 at the age of 27. The Army sent him to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences to study medicine.

He graduated from the university in 2001 and served as an intern, resident and psychiatry fellow at Walter Reed from 2003 until this year.

At Walter Reed, Hasan was reportedly disciplined for proselytizing.

He was raised a Muslim, although he listed no religious preference on some personnel records.

The deaths of Hasan's parents, in 1998 and 2001, led him to become more religious, according to his cousin. His parents had emigrated from a village near Jerusalem, the New York Times reported, and owned restaurants and a store in Roanoke.

The Washington Post reported that Hasan prayed at the Muslim Community Center in Silver Spring at least once a day.

Faizul Khan, a former imam at the center, told the Post that Hasan was "very devout" and often attended prayers in his Army fatigues.

Hasan also looked for a wife through the center's matrimonial seminar, describing himself as "quiet and reserved" but also "funny, caring and personable." Khan told the Post that Hasan never found a match because "he had too many conditions."

Hasan, shot multiple times by officials responding to Thursday's attack, remained in stable condition in custody at a hospital.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Hasan wearing traditional Muslim garb on morning of shooting

Post by Nama on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:47 am

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Hasan had some "difficulties" that required counseling and extra supervision

Post by Nama on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:04 am

While an intern at Walter Reed, Hasan had some "difficulties" that required counseling and extra supervision, said Dr. Thomas Grieger, who was the training director at the time.
Grieger said privacy laws prevented him from going into details but noted that the problems had to do with Hasan's interactions with patients. He recalled Hasan as a "mostly very quiet" person who never spoke ill of the military or his country.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:43 am

:no: This is awful. I don't know how I missed all of this yesterday. I first caught wind of it on the 10 pm news last night. Thanks to all of you who posted the news as it was released. Is there a list of the confirmed murdered victims yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by NikkiinTx on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:50 am

LM, no they're not naming names until families are notified. I haven't heard any names here at all yet.
NikkiinTx

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:55 am

I think these are the only names released so far.

From the Associated Press:
Matthew Cook, son-in-law of Jamie and Scotty Casteel. Cook is from New York State and has been home from Iraq for about a year. "He's been shot in the abdomen and that's all we know," Jamie Casteel told The Associated Press.
Amber Bahr, 19, was shot in the stomach but was in stable condition, said her mother, Lisa Pfund of Random Lake, Wis.
Ashley Saucedo told WOOD-TV in Michigan that her husband was shot in the arm, but she couldn't discuss specifics.

Read more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by janie on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:59 pm

I was gone yesterday and I missed everything that happened. I want to thank everyone for covering this tragedy so well. NikkiinTx I'll so proud of you and the others who wanted to give blood.I feel so sorry for all the families it's just heartbreaking.
janie

Back to top Go down

Normal Neighbor: Fort Hood suspect emptied his apartment

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:01 pm

By JEFF CARLTON and MIKE BAKER, Associated Press Writers Jeff Carlton And Mike Baker, Associated Press Writers – 30 mins ago

FORT HOOD, Texas – An Army psychiatrist suspected of opening fire on fellow soldiers at Fort Hood cleaned out his apartment and left a phone message saying goodbye to a friend in the days before the rampage that left 13 people dead, neighbors said Friday.

One neighbor, Patricia Villa, said Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan came over to her apartment Wednesday and Thursday and offered her some items, including a new Quran, saying he was going to be deployed on Friday.

Authorities said the 39-year-old Hasan went on a shooting spree later Thursday at the sprawling Texas post. He was among 30 people wounded in the rampage and remained hospitalized Friday in a coma, attached to a ventilator. All but two of the injured were still hospitalized; all were in stable condition.

Investigators were trying to piece together how and why Hasan allegedly gunned down his comrades in one of the worst mass shootings ever on an American military base. Though his motive wasn't known, some who knew Hasan said he may have been struggling with a pending deployment to Afghanistan and faced pressure in his work with distressed soldiers.

Hasan's family said in a statement Friday that his alleged actions were "despicable and deplorable" and don't reflect how the family was raised.

President Barack Obama ordered the flags at the White House and other federal buildings be at half-staff and urged people not to draw conclusions while authorities investigate.

"We don't know all the answers yet. And I would caution against jumping to conclusions until we have all the facts," Obama said in a statement.

The shooting spree began as some 300 soldiers had been lined up to get vaccinations and have their eyes tested at a Soldier Readiness Center, where troops who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening. Nearby, others were lining up in commencement robes for a ceremony to celebrate soldiers and families who had recently earned degrees.

Soldiers reported that the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar!" — an Arabic phrase for "God is great!" — before opening fire, said Lt. Gen. Robert Cone, the base commander. He said officials had not confirmed that Hasan made the comment.

Officials are not ruling out the possibility that some of the casualties may have been victims of "friendly fire," shot by responding military officials.

When the gunfire subsided, soldiers described a scene that looked like a war zone: too many wounded to count, shells and blood on the floor, and comrades ripping off their clothes to make tourniquets to keep the injured alive. One woman, suffering from a wound to the hip, carried another victim to get help.

"You had people without tops on. You had people ripping their pant legs off," said Sgt. Andrew Hagerman, a military police officer from Lewisville, Texas.

Hagerman arrived at the scene minutes after the shooting stopped. When he entered the building, he kept his head down to avoid stepping in the pools of blood or kicking any spent shell casings.

"You could go around it," he said. "There was definitely a path."

The gunman was struck four times by a civilian police officer who was wounded herself. Base officials said Kimberly Munley fired on the suspect just three minutes after the gunfire erupted and that her efforts ended the crisis. Munley was recovering Friday at a hospital.

"It was an amazing and aggressive performance by this police officer," Cone said.

Hagerman said he saw Hasan laying on the ground receiving medical assistance for a gunshot wound as responders tried to get his handcuffs off to better treat him.

Hasan reported for duty at Fort Hood in July, after working at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington for six years. Though he apparently had problems at Walter Reed, Fort Hood officials said they weren't aware of any issues with his job performance.

One of Hasan's bosses praised his work ethic and said he provided excellent care for his patients.

"Up to this point I would consider him an asset," said Col. Kimberly Kesling, deputy commander of clinical services at Darnall Army Medical Center.

Neighbors described a man who appeared to be getting his affairs in order just hours before the shooting. Hasan was set to deploy to Afghanistan with an Army Reserve unit that provides what the military calls "behavioral health" counseling, Army spokeswoman Col. Cathy Abbott said.

Villa, who moved next door to Hasan about a month ago, said she had never spoken to him before he came over to her apartment.

She said Hasan gave her frozen broccoli, spinach, T-shirts and shelves on Wednesday, then returned Thursday morning and gave her his air mattress, several briefcases and a desk lamp. He then offered her $60 to clean his apartment Friday morning, after he was supposed to leave.

Another neighbor received a phone message from Hasan at 5 a.m. Thursday.

Jacqueline Harris, 44, said Hasan called her boyfriend, Willie Bell. "He just wanted to thank Willie for being a good friend and thank him for being there for him," Harris said. "That was it. We thought it was just a nice message to leave."

The manager of the apartment complex said Hasan recently was involved in a spat with another soldier living there over Hasan's religious beliefs. A bumper sticker that read "Allah is Love" was ripped off Hasan's car, which was keyed, said the manager, John Thompson.

Thompson said the neighbor had been in Iraq and was upset to learn that Hasan was Muslim.

Hasan's mindset about his mission overseas wasn't clear. Someone who used to work with Hasan said he had expressed some anger about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but neighbors said he appeared fine with his pending deployment.

"I asked him how he felt about going over there, with their religion and everything, and he said, `It's going to be interesting,'" said Edgar Booker, a retired soldier who now works in a cafeteria on the post.

Cone said authorities have not yet been able to talk to Hasan, but interviews with witnesses went through the night.

The wounded were dispersed among hospitals in central Texas. The dead included a man who quit a furniture company job to join the military about a year ago, a newlywed who had served in Iraq and a woman who had vowed to take on Osama bin Laden after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

U.S. Muslims reacted with both anger and fear of backlash after revelations that Hasan is a practicing Muslim. The nation's major Muslim organizations and several mosques quickly condemned the attacks as contrary to Islam and highlighted the military service of U.S. Muslims, including those who have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"The community is in a state of agony," said Muqtedar Khan, director of the Islamic studies program at the University of Delaware and a well-known progressive Muslim intellectual.

Some U.S. mosques stepped up security on Friday, the main prayer day for Muslims.

Hasan, who was born in Northern Virginia, pursued a career in psychiatry at Walter Reed, working as an intern, a resident and a fellow in disaster and preventive psychiatry. The Army major received his medical degree from the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., in 2001.

But his record at Walter Reed wasn't sterling. He received a poor performance evaluation, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly. And while he was an intern, Hasan had some "difficulties" that required counseling and extra supervision, said Dr. Thomas Grieger, who was the training director at the time.

In an interview with The Washington Post, Hasan's aunt, Noel Hasan of Falls Church, Va., said he had been harassed about being a Muslim in the years after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, and he wanted out of the Army.

"Some people can take it and some people cannot," she said. "He had listened to all of that and he wanted out of the military."

At least six months ago, Hasan came to the attention of law enforcement officials because of Internet postings about suicide bombings and other threats, including posts that equated suicide bombers to soldiers who throw themselves on a grenade to save the lives of their comrades.

Investigators had not determined for certain whether Hasan was the author of the posting, and a formal investigation had not been opened before the shooting, said law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the case.

Federal authorities seized Hasan's computer Friday during a search of his apartment, said a military official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:51 pm

KILLEEN, Texas - Investigators searched for the motive on Friday behind a mass shooting at a sprawling U.S. Army base in Texas, in which an Army psychiatrist trained to treat war wounded is suspected of killing 13 people.

The suspected gunman, Major Nidal Malik Hasan, a Muslim born in the United States of immigrant parents, was shot four times by police, a base spokesman said. He was unconscious but in stable condition.

A woman died overnight from her wounds, raising the toll from Thursday's shootings to 13 dead and 30 wounded, said Colonel John Rossi, a spokesman at Fort Hood, the biggest military facility in the world.

Hasan was on a ventilator in a civilian hospital, Rossi said.

The Army refused to discuss possible motives while the investigation was under way. "We have to understand what caused the suspect to act in the way that he did," Army Secretary John McHugh said after observing a moment of silence at the base.

"This was a kick in the gut," said Army Chief of Staff George Casey.

The gunman, with two guns including a semi-automatic weapon, opened fire apparently without warning at the crowded Soldiers Readiness Processing Center, where troops were getting medical checkups before leaving for foreign deployments.

Hasan, 39, had spent years counseling severely wounded soldiers at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, many of whom had lost limbs fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He was transferred to Fort Hood in April and was to have been deployed to Afghanistan, where the U.S. military is engaged in an increasingly bloody war against Taliban and al-Qaida fighters.

The Army Criminal Investigation Command and the FBI are investigating the shootings and no charges have been brought against Hasan, McHugh said.

DEPLOYMENT 'NIGHTMARE'

In Washington, President Barack Obama warned met with with FBI officials, including agency director Robert Mueller, to discuss the incident.

"We don't know all the answers yet and I would caution against jumping to conclusions until we have all the facts," Obama said.

Hasan's cousin, Nader Hasan, said in interviews that he had agitated not to be sent overseas. "We've known over the last five years that was probably his worst nightmare," he said.

Nader Hasan also said his cousin had complained, as a Muslim, of harassment by fellow soldiers.

Hasan yelled "Allah akbar" — Arabic for "God is great" — just before the shooting, Chuck Medley, Fort Hood's director of Emergency Services, told Reuters.

But the Fort Hood commander, Lieutenant-General Robert Cone, said there was no evidence this was a terrorist attack.

American Muslim groups expressed regret and stressed that the incident appeared to have been carried out by a single disturbed individual.

"Thousands of Arab Americans and American Muslims serve honorably every day in all four branches of the U.S. military and in the National Guard," the Arab American Institute said.

Rossi said Thursday's shooting lasted 10 minutes. He said a female civilian police officer was the first to wound the gunman, who was wearing military garb.

Sergeant Andrew Hagerman, a military police officer, said Hasan was unconscious when he arrived.

"You're always surprised at how much carnage there is," said Hagerman, who returned in July 2008 from a tour of duty in Iraq. Soldiers ripped apart their uniforms to make bandages to care for the wounded, Hagerman said.

The United States has been engaged in six years of fighting in Iraq and nearly eight years of war in Afghanistan, which has put extra stress on the military and on individual soldiers.

In May, a U.S. soldier at a base in Baghdad shot and killed five fellow soldiers.

Multiple shooting incidents are not uncommon in the United States, where there are relatively lax gun controls.

Fort Hood personnel have accounted for more suicides than any other Army post since the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003, with 75 tallied through July of this year.

Fort Hood, about 97 kilometres from the state capital Austin, is home to about 50,000 troops.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NikkiinTx on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:36 am

Just as a quick update, my husband and I went yesterday morning to give blood and it was so busy, it was kind of like controlled chaos. The people at the blood center had been there until 11:30 Thursday night and were so tired. The guy that took my husband's blood said they had sent 231 units Thursday night and there was already a call for more blood at 10am. It was amazing that everyone has stepped up for this so quickly.
NikkiinTx

Back to top Go down

Normal sources say Major Nidal Malik Hasan has been paralyzed

Post by Nama on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:34 am

Major Nidal Malik Hasan, the man who shot 13 people on the Fort Hood military base, has been paralyzed, sources say.
The sources have not been named, but they claim that the man cannot move. It is not clear whether or not he is fully paralyzed, or only partially.

His family released a statement, through Hasan’s cousin, Nader:
“We are shocked and saddened by the terrible events at Fort Hood today. We send the families of the victims our most heartfelt sympathies. Nidal was an American citizen. He was born in Arlington, Va., and raised here in America. … Our family loves America. We are proud of our country, and saddened by today’s tragedy.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:51 am

Nikken, kudo's to you and your hubby!! And thanks for the updates!

I am glad Hasan is paralyzed. He will have to live with this the rest of his life without use of his limbs! In some ways, that is worth than death.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Suspect asked for advice on going to fight Muslims

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:08 pm

By ANGELA K. BROWN, Associated Press Writer Angela K. Brown, Associated Press Writer – 21 mins ago

FORT HOOD, Texas – The Army psychiatrist suspected of going on a shooting rampage at Fort Hood recently asked for advice on what he should tell fellow soldiers concerned about fighting Muslims in Iraq or Afghanistan, a local Muslim leader said Saturday.

Osman Danquah, co-founder of the Islamic Community of Greater Killeen, said he spoke with the suspected shooter, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, after two services in late summer. During the conversations, Danquah said Hasan never expressed anger toward the Army or indicated any plans for violence.

But during their second conversation, Hasan seemed almost incoherent, Danquah said.

"But what if a person gets in and feels that it's just not right?" Danquah recalled Hasan asking him.

"I told him, `There's something wrong with you,'" Danquah told The Associated Press during an interview at Fort Hood on Saturday. "I didn't get the feeling he was talking for himself, but something just didn't seem right."

But Danquah was sufficiently troubled that he recommended the center reject Hasan's request to become a lay Muslim leader at Fort Hood.

Authorities have accused Hasan of opening fire on fellow soldiers on Thursday at Fort Hood, in a stream of gunfire that left 13 people dead and more than two dozen wounded in the worst mass shooting on a military facility in the U.S. At the start of the attack, Hasan reportedly jumped up on a desk and shouted "Allahu akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" Hasan was seriously wounded by police and is being treated in a military hospital.

The military has said he was scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan, but family members suggested he was trying avoid serving overseas.

Hasan's relatives who live in the Palestinian territories have said they had heard from family members that Hasan felt mistreated in the Army as a Muslim.

"He told (them) that as a Muslim committed to his prayers he was discriminated against and not treated as is fitting for an officer and American," said Mohammed Malik Hasan, 24, a cousin, told the AP from his home on the outskirts of Ramallah, a Palestinian city north of Jerusalem. "He hired a lawyer to get him a discharge."

Danquah said his conversations with Hasan occurred following two religious services sometime before Ramadan, the Islamic holy month that started in late August. He said the soldier, who transferred to Fort Hood from Walter Reed Army Medical Center in July, regularly attended services at the Killeen, Texas, community center in his uniform.

During his talks with Hasan, Danquah said he told him that Muslims were fighting each other in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Palestinian territories and that American soldiers with objections to serving overseas had recourse to voice such concerns.

Danquah said Hasan had also asked questions about community center members but he didn't think Hasan was looking for accomplices.

It was not immediately clear if Danquah had informed the Army about his concerns.

"As a Muslim, you come into a community and the way you integrate normally — I didn't see that kind of integration," he said.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Suspect Could Face Death Penalty in Fort Hood Shooting

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Saturday, November 07, 2009
By Catherine Donaldson-Evans

The Army psychiatrist suspected in Thursday's deadly Fort Hood rampage in Texas could get the death penalty if he is convicted of multiple counts of first-degree murder — and military law experts say the evidence against him will be substantial.

American-born Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan has yet to be charged but is expected to face at least 13 counts of murder, one for each of the victims who died, as well as numerous assault and weapons charges in a court-martial.

"Obviously, we're all guessing, but it's reasonable to believe that he will be convicted and sentenced to death," said retired Navy lawyer Philip Cave, now a military crimes defense attorney.

Cave estimated that Hasan, 39, would spend between five and 15 years in the military's court martial system.

"It will be a long charge sheet," military law scholar Richard Rosen told KCBD.com, "one longer than I've ever seen in my life time in the Army."

Though the number of wounded has fluctuated, at least 30, including Hasan, and possibly up to 38 were injured in the mass shooting at the Army base in Killeen.

Army Secretary John McHugh said Friday an investigation is proceeding but no charges have yet been filed against Hasan.

Rosen, a retired colonel who was stationed at Fort Hood for 10 years, called the shooting "tragic and horrible."

"Legal advice is being given at all levels of command right now," Rosen told KCBD.com

Only 10 members of the American military have been put to death with approval from the president since 1951 under the Uniform Code of Military Justice — the armed services' legal system.

The last military execution was the 1961 hanging of Army Pvt. John Bennett for rape. Another defendant, Pvt. Ronald Gray, was scheduled to be executed in December 2008 for multiple murders and rape, but a stay was granted mere days before the execution.

But the massacre at Fort Hood has been called the worst mass shooting ever on an American military base.

"All things being equal, he may well be one of those executions," Cave told FoxNews.com.

Hasan is believed to have methodically and calmly opened fire on his fellow comrades as they filled out medical paperwork and underwent testing at a processing center that handles soldiers coming and going to war.

Around 1:30 p.m. Thursday, witnesses say a man later identified as Hasan jumped up on a desk and shouted the words "Allahu Akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" He was armed with at least one semiautomatic pistol capable of firing up to 20 rounds without reloading. He shot about 100 rounds before civilian police officer Kim Munley wounded him with four rounds.

Though his motive remains unclear, speculation has swirled that he was dreading his own imminent deployment to the battlefields in Afghanistan, where he was to continue his work counseling fellow soldiers suffering from post-traumatic stress and other mental turmoil.

Relatives and associates say Hasan was critical of both the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and did everything he could to avoid being on the frontlines.

No one who knew him, however, expected him to be driven to kill.

The suspected gunman's Palestinian uncle told Fox News that the family was "shocked" by the allegations and had no indication Hasan was capable of such violence.

"He was very quiet, very nice, never been upset, always a smile," Rafiq Ismail told Fox News in Ramallah, the West Bank. "Till now, we did not believe he did it. ... Something happened, made him snap or something."

As a psychiatrist, Hasan had for years listened to other soldiers' tales of war horrors. Cave said if Hasan's lawyers can show that he himself was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) — which can happen to psychiatrists and can be a successful legal strategy — then they might use that in their defense in an attempt to land Hasan a lesser sentence.

But Cave doesn't think Hasan would be sentenced to anything less than life in prison.

Terror charges also could be filed, he said, but only if the government has hard evidence that Hasan was linked to and acting on behalf of an actual terrorist group.

In trying to prove premeditation, Cave expects prosecutors to point to the fact that Hasan had been saying goodbye to friends and giving away most of his belongings, including copies of the Koran, and left several messages for neighbors the morning of the killings.

"Nice knowing you, old friend," Hasan said in a 5 a.m. Thursday voicemail to neighbor Willie Bell. "I'm going to miss you."

Cave said the defense probably would counter that those actions were those of a man about to be sent overseas to war.

This SOB Better get the DP!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Juanita on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:40 pm

yes i thnk he should get the death penalty, however, his motive still remains unclear until he is given a fair trial and his witnesses testify under oath.

i dont really think he is taliban or anything, i think he was just in the wrong army.
Juanita

http://janiesuper.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Normal Portrait of the Ft. Hood Victim's - May they Rest in Peace!

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:35 pm

By AMY FORLITI, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 11 mins ago

The 13 people killed when an Army psychiatrist allegedly opened fire on fellow soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas, included a father of three with ties to Laos whose family had a history of military service, a civilian who had returned to work a week after suffering a heart attack, and a psychiatric nurse who arrived at Fort Hood a day before the shooting. Here is a look at some of the victims.
___
Michael Grant Cahill
Cahill, a 62-year-old physician assistant, suffered a heart attack two weeks ago and returned to work at the base as a civilian employee after taking just one week off for recovery, said his daughter Keely Vanacker.
"He survived that. He was getting back on track, and he gets killed by a gunman," Vanacker said, her words bare with shock and disbelief.
Cahill, of Cameron, Texas, helped treat soldiers returning from tours of duty or preparing for deployment. Often, Vanacker said, Cahill would walk young soldiers where they needed to go, just to make sure they got the right treatment.
"He loved his patients, and his patients loved him," said Vanacker, 33, the oldest of Cahill's three adult children. "He just felt his job was important."
Cahill, who was born in Spokane, Wash., had worked as a civilian contractor at Fort Hood for about four years, after jobs in rural health clinics and at Veterans Affairs hospitals. He and his wife, Joleen, had been married 37 years.
Vanacker described her father as a gregarious man and a voracious reader who could talk for hours about any subject.
The family's typical Thanksgiving dinners ended with board games and long conversations over the table, said Vanacker, whose voice often cracked with emotion as she remembered her father. "Now, who I am going to talk to?"
___
Maj. Libardo Eduardo Caraveo
Caraveo, 52, of Woodbridge, Va., arrived in the United States in his teens from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, knowing very little English said his son, also named Eduardo Caraveo.
He earned his doctorate in psychology from the University of Arizona and worked with bilingual special-needs students at Tucson-area schools before entering private practice.
His son told the Arizona Daily Star in Tucson that Caraveo had arrived at Fort Hood on Wednesday and was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. Eduardo Caraveo spoke to the newspaper from his mother's Tucson home.
His father's Web site says he offered marriage seminars with a company based in Woodbridge, Va.
___
Staff Sgt. Justin M. DeCrow
DeCrow, 32, was helping train soldiers on how to help new veterans with paperwork and had felt safe on the Army post.
"He was on a base," his wife, Marikay DeCrow, said in a telephone interview from the couple's home in Evans, Ga. "They should be safe there. They should be safe."
In a statement Saturday, she said her husband's "infectious charm and wit always put others at ease."
His wife said she wanted everyone to know what a loving man he was. The couple have a 13-year-old daughter, Kylah.
"He was well loved by everyone," she said through sobs. "He was a loving father and husband and he will be missed by all."
The couple were high school sweethearts who married in 1996. Marikay DeCrow said her husband was first stationed at Fort Gordon in 2000, and she had hoped they would reunite at their home in nearby Evans when another post there opened up.
DeCrow was stationed in Korea from September 2008 to August. He left in September to go to Fort Hood.
His father, Daniel DeCrow, of Fulton, Ind., said he talked to his son last week to ask him how things were going at Fort Hood.
"As usual, the last words out of my mouth to him were that I was proud of him," he said. "That's what I said to him every time — that I loved him and I was proud of what he was doing. I can carry that around in my heart."
___
Capt. John Gaffaney
Gaffaney, 56, was a psychiatric nurse who worked for San Diego County, Calif., for more than 20 years and had arrived at Fort Hood the day before the shooting to prepare for a deployment to Iraq.
Gaffaney, who was born in Williston, N.D., had served in the Navy and later the California National Guard as a younger man, his family said. After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, he tried to sign up again for military service. Although the Army Reserves at first declined, he got the call about two years ago asking him to rejoin, said his close friend and co-worker Stephanie Powell.
"He wanted to help the boys in Iraq and Afghanistan deal with the trauma of what they were seeing," Powell said. "He was an honorable man. He just wanted to serve in any way he can."
His family described him as an avid baseball card collector and fan of the San Diego Padres who liked to read military novels and ride his Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
Gaffaney supervised a team of six social workers, including Powell, at the county's Adult Protective Services department. Ellen Schmeding, assistant deputy director for the county's Health and Human Services Agency, said Gaffaney was a strong leader.
He is survived by a wife and a son.
___
Spc. Frederick Greene
Greene, 29, of Mountain City, Tenn., was assigned to the 16th Signal Company, Fort Hood, Texas.
___
Spc. Jason Dean Hunt
Hunt, 22, of Frederick, Okla., went into the military after graduating from Tipton High School in 2005 and had gotten married just two months ago, his mother, Gale Hunt, said. He had served 3 1/2 years in the Army, including a stint in Iraq.
Gale Hunt said two uniformed soldiers came to her door late Thursday night to notify her of her son's death.
Hunt, known as J.D., was "just kind of a quiet boy and a good kid, very kind," said Kathy Gray, an administrative assistant at Tipton Schools.
His mother said he was family oriented.
"He didn't go in for hunting or sports," Gale Hunt said. "He was a very quiet boy who enjoyed video games."
He had re-enlisted for six years after serving his initial two-year assignment, she said. Jason Hunt was previously stationed at Fort Stewart in Georgia.
___
Sgt. Amy Krueger
Krueger, 29, of Kiel, Wis., joined the Army after the 2001 terrorist attacks and had vowed to take on Osama bin Laden, her mother, Jeri Krueger said.
Amy Krueger arrived at Fort Hood on Tuesday and was scheduled to be sent to Afghanistan in December, her mother told the Herald Times Reporter of Manitowoc.
Jeri Krueger recalled telling her daughter that she could not take on bin Laden by herself.
"Watch me," her daughter replied.
Kiel High School Principal Dario Talerico told The Associated Press that Krueger graduated from the school in 1998 and had spoken at least once to local elementary school students about her career.
"I just remember that Amy was a very good kid, who like most kids in a small town are just looking for what their next step in life was going to be and she chose the military," Talerico said. "Once she got into the military, she really connected with that kind of lifestyle and was really proud to serve her country."
___
Pfc. Aaron Thomas Nemelka
Nemelka, 19, of the Salt Lake City suburb of West Jordan, Utah, chose to join the Army instead of going on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, his uncle Christopher Nemelka said.
"As a person, Aaron was as soft and kind and as gentle as they come, a sweetheart," his uncle said. "What I loved about the kid was his independence of thought."
Aaron Nemelka was proud to serve and felt keenly the responsibility of representing his nation and his family, said another uncle, Michael Blades. Blades said several of Nemelka's relatives were in the military, including a grandfather who served in the Korean War and received a Purple Heart.
"He felt it was his duty to stand with them in defense of our country," Blades said.
Nemelka enjoyed soccer, bowling and snowboarding, and was an avid fan of the Utah Utes, he said.
The youngest of four children, Nemelka was scheduled to be deployed to Afghanistan in January, his family said in a statement. Nemelka had enlisted in the Army in October 2008, Utah National Guard Lt. Col. Lisa Olsen said.
Blades said Nemelka had a tremendous love for his family and a deep sense of duty.
"His mission is completed," Blades said, his voice breaking. "He now serves a higher calling in heaven."
___
Pfc. Michael Pearson
Pearson, 22, of the Chicago suburb of Bolingbrook, Ill., quit what he figured was a dead-end furniture company job to join the military about a year ago.
Pearson's mother, Sheryll Pearson, said the 2006 Bolingbrook High School graduate joined the military because he was eager to serve his country and broaden his horizons.
"He was the best son in the whole world," she said. "He was my best friend and I miss him."
His cousin, Mike Dostalek, showed reporters a poem Pearson wrote. "I look only to the future for wisdom. To rock back and forth in my wooden chair," the poem says.
At Pearson's family home Friday, a yellow ribbon was tied to a porch light and a sticker stamped with American flags on the front door read, "United we stand."
Neighbor Jessica Koerber, who was with Pearson's parents when they received word Thursday their son had died, described him as a man who clearly loved his family — someone who enjoyed horsing around with his nieces and nephews, and other times playing his guitar.
"That family lost their gem," she told the AP. "He was a great kid, a great guy. ... Mikey was one of a kind."
Sheryll Pearson said she hadn't seen her son for a year because he had been training. She told the Tribune that when she last talked to him on the phone two days ago, they had discussed how he would come home for Christmas.
___
Capt. Russell Seager
Seager, 51, of Racine, Wis., was a psychiatrist who joined the Army a few years ago because he wanted to help veterans returning to civilian life, said his uncle, Larry Seager of Mauston.
Larry Seager said Russell Seager's death left the family stunned, especially because the psychiatrist only wanted to help soldiers improve their mental health.
"It's unbelievable. He goes down there to help out soldiers and then he ... ," Seager said, his voice trailing off. "I still can't believe it."
___
Pvt. Francheska Velez
Velez, 21, of Chicago, was pregnant and preparing to return home. A friend of Velez's, Sasha Ramos, described her as a fun-loving person who wrote poetry and loved dancing.
"She was like my sister," Ramos, 21, said. "She was the most fun and happy person you could know. She never did anything wrong to anybody."
Family members said Velez had recently returned from deployment in Iraq and had sought a lifelong career in the Army.
"She was a very happy girl and sweet," said her father, Juan Guillermo Velez, his eyes red from crying. "She had the spirit of a child."
Ramos, who also served briefly in the military, couldn't reconcile that her friend was killed in this country just after leaving a war zone.
"It makes it a lot harder," she said. "This is not something a soldier expects — to have someone in our uniform go start shooting at us."
___
Lt. Col. Juanita Warman
Warman, 55, of Havre De Grace, Md., was a military physician assistant with two daughters and six grandchildren.
A half-sister, Kristina Rightweiser, said Warman was from a military family. Their father, who died in 2007, was a "career military man," Rightweiser served in the Air Force, and Rightweiser's brother is in the Coast Guard. The two women didn't grow up together, but reconnected after their father's death, Rightweiser said.
Warman "loved the Army and loved her family very much," she said in a message sent through Facebook.
Another sister, Margaret Yaggie of Roaring Branch in north-central Pennsylvania, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Warman attended Pittsburgh Langley High School and put herself through school at the University of Pittsburgh. She said Warman spent most of her career in the military.
___
Pfc. Kham Xiong
Xiong, 23, of St. Paul, Minn., was a father of three whose family had a history of military service.
Xiong's father, Chor Xiong, is a native of Laos who fought the Viet Cong alongside the CIA in 1972; Chor's father, Kham's grandfather, also fought with the CIA; and Kham's brother, Nelson, is a Marine serving in Afghanistan.
Xiong's father said he was "very mad." Through sniffles and tears, he said his son died for "no reason" and he has a hard time believing Kham is gone.
Kham Xiong was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan, and his sister Mee Xiong said the family would be able to understand if he would have died in battle.
"He didn't get to go overseas and do what he's supposed to do, and he's dead ... killed by our own people," Mee Xiong said.
Xiong was one of 11 siblings and came to the U.S. when he was just a toddler. He grew up in California, then moved to Minnesota with the family about 10 years ago, Chor Xiong said.
He was married and had three children ages 4, 2 and 10 months. His wife, Shoua, said they started dating in eighth grade, and the last time she saw her husband was Thursday morning at their Texas home.
She said he gave everyone a kiss and went to work. "It was an ordinary day," she said. After she heard about the shooting, she tried to call him, but never got an answer.
At 3 a.m. Friday, the doorbell rang.
"My heart dropped," she said. "I knew the reason they were here, but I asked them to tell me he was OK."
___

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:50 pm

crying crying crying This is so tragic. Thanks for posting this.

Back to top Go down

Normal Portraits Emerge of Shooting Victims

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:09 pm

By CARYN ROUSSEAU and ROBERT IMRIE, AP
posted: 20 MINUTES AGO.

PRINT|E-MAILMOREText SizeAAA(Nov. 7) -- The 13 people killed when an Army psychiatrist allegedly opened fire on fellow soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas, included several people who shared the same profession as the alleged shooter, a father of three with ties to Laos whose family had a history of military service, a civilian who had returned to work a week after suffering a heart attack, and a psychiatric nurse who arrived at Fort Hood a day before the shooting. Here is a look at some of the victims.

Please click here for pics and video's of the fallen victim's at Ft. Hood:

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal 'Tough woman' cop hailed Fort Hood her

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:20 pm

From Mallory Simon and Jim Spellman, CNN
November 7, 2009 8:02 a.m. EST

Kimberly Munley, here in an image from Twitter, is a civilian police officer credited with stopping the gunman.

Fort Hood, Texas (CNN) -- The police officer who ended the Fort Hood massacre by shooting the suspect is known as the enforcer on her street, a "tough woman" who patrolled her neighborhood and once stopped burglars at her house.

"If you come in, I'm going to shoot," Kimberly Munley told the would-be intruders last year.

It was Munley who arrived quickly Thursday at the scene of the worst massacre at an Army base in U.S. history, where 13 people were killed. She confronted the alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, and shot him four times. Munley was wounded in the exchange.

That's just like her, friends and family say.

"I just felt more protected knowing she was on my street," neighbor Erin Houston said.

Munley, the mother of a 3-year-old girl, lives on a street where a lot of homes are vacant because so many residents are deployed at war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We sleep a lot safer knowing she's on the block," said Sgt. William Barbrow, another neighbor.

When Bryan Munley heard that his sister-in-law thwarted the alleged gunman in a shootout, he wasn't surprised.

"There's nothing that stands in her way. It completely makes sense that she did what she did," he said from Downingtown, Pennsylvania. "It was amazing. Without her, there would have been a lot more people killed."

Munley, 34, is being treated for her wounds. Her father, former Carolina Beach, North Carolina, Mayor Dennis Barbour, said his daughter is doing well.

"Her efforts were superb," said Col. Steven Braverman, the base hospital commander.

Lt. Gen. Bob Cone, Fort Hood's commanding general, described Munley as a "trained, active first responder" who acted quickly after she "just happened to encounter the gunman."

"Really a pretty amazing and aggressive performance by this police officer," he said.

Cone said Munley and her partner responded "very quickly" to the scene -- reportedly in about three minutes.

On social networking sites, she was lauded for her actions. One Facebook fan page was called "Sgt. Kimberly Munley: A Real American Hero" and had more than 1,400 members.

"My prayers for a fast recovery as well as my sincere thanks of an outstanding job," one person wrote. One woman added, "U got some brass balls, girl ... u r my hero!!!!"

Authorities say Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, opened fire at a military processing center at Fort Hood on Thursday, killing 13 and wounding 30 others.

Cone was asked on CNN's "American Morning" whether Munley's shots brought down the assailant and stopped him from shooting.

"That's correct," Cone said. "The critical factor here was her quick response to the situation."

Bryan Munley said Munley is married to his brother, Staff Sgt. Matthew Munley. He said Matthew was in Downingtown, outside Philadelphia, visiting his family when the shootings happened. The couple, married since 2006, have a 3-year-old daughter named Jayden.

She is definitely a tough woman.

--Bryan Munley

Bryan Munley said Matthew had recently been transferred to Fort Bragg in North Carolina and has done two tours in Iraq. Kimberly was trying to find a job in North Carolina and was hoping to move there soon, Matthew said.

Matthew was at Fort Bragg on Friday, trying to get a flight to Texas to see his wife.

A page on Twitter lists the name "Kim Munley" of Killeen, Texas, near Ford Hood. It has a photo of a female police officer with the name "Kim Munley" on her uniform.

Its bio blurb has particular resonance in the aftermath of the incident.

"I live a good life....a hard one, but I go to sleep peacefully @ night knowing that I may have made a difference in someone's life."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Suspect told 'There's something wrong with you'

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:15 am

By ANGELA K. BROWN and ALLEN G. BREED, Associated Press Writers Angela K. Brown And Allen G. Breed, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 15 mins ago

FORT HOOD, Texas – There was the classroom presentation that justified suicide bombings. Comments to colleagues about a climate of persecution faced by Muslims in the military. Conversations with a mosque leader that became incoherent.

As a student, some who knew Nidal Malik Hasan said they saw clear signs the young Army psychiatrist — who authorities say went on a shooting spree at Fort Hood that left 13 dead and 29 others wounded — had no place in the military. After arriving at Fort Hood, he was conflicted about what to tell fellow Muslim soldiers about the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, alarming an Islamic community leader from whom he sought counsel.

"I told him, `There's something wrong with you,'" Osman Danquah, co-founder of the Islamic Community of Greater Killeen, told The Associated Press on Saturday. "I didn't get the feeling he was talking for himself, but something just didn't seem right."

Danquah assumed the military's chain of command knew about Hasan's doubts, which had been known for more than a year to classmates in a graduate military medical program. His fellow students complained to the faculty about Hasan's "anti-American propaganda," but said a fear of appearing discriminatory against a Muslim student kept officers from filing a formal written complaint.

"The system is not doing what it's supposed to do," said Dr. Val Finnell, who studied with Hasan from 2007-2008 in the master's program in public health at the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. "He at least should have been confronted about these beliefs, told to cease and desist, and to shape up or ship out."

Military criminal investigators continued late Saturday to refer to Hasan as the only suspect in the shootings, declining to say when charges would be filed. "We have not established a motive for the shootings at this time," said Army Criminal Investigative Command spokesman Chris Grey.

A government official speaking on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss the case said an initial review of Hasan's computer use has found no evidence of links to terror groups, or anyone who might have helped plan or push him toward the shooting attack. The review of Hasan's computer is continuing and more evidence could emerge, the source said.

Hasan likely would face military justice rather than federal criminal charges if investigators determine the violence was the work of just one person.

But Hasan's family described a man incapable of the attack, calling him a devoted doctor and devout Muslim who showed no signs that he might lash out with violence.

"I've known my brother Nidal to be a peaceful, loving and compassionate person who has shown great interest in the medical field and in helping others," said his brother, Eyad Hasan, of Sterling, Va., in a statement. "He has never committed an act of violence and was always known to be a good, law-abiding citizen."

Others recalled a pleasant neighbor who forgave a fellow soldier charged with tearing up his "Allah is Love" bumper sticker. A superior officer at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, Col. Kimberly Kesling, has said Hasan was a quiet man with a strong work ethic who provided excellent care for his patients.

Still, in the days since authorities believe Hasan fired more than 100 rounds in a soldier processing center at Fort Hood in the worst mass shooting on a military facility in the U.S., a picture has emerged of a man who was forcefully opposed to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, was trying to get out of his late November deployment to Afghanistan and had struggled professionally in his work as an Army psychiatrist.

"He told (them) that as a Muslim committed to his prayers he was discriminated against and not treated as is fitting for an officer and American," said Mohammed Malik Hasan, 24, a cousin, told the AP from his home on the outskirts of the Palestinian city of Ramallah. "He hired a lawyer to get him a discharge."

Twice this summer, Danquah said, Hasan asked him what to tell soldiers who expressed misgivings about fighting fellow Muslims. The retired Army first sergeant and Gulf War veteran said he reminded Hasan that these soldiers had volunteered to fight, and that Muslims were fighting against each other in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Palestinian territories.

"But what if a person gets in and feels that it's just not right?" Danquah recalled Hasan asking him.

"I'd give him my response. It didn't seem settled, you know. It didn't seem to satisfy," he said. "It would be like a person playing the devil's advocate. ... I said, `Look. I'm not impressed by you.'"

Danquah said he was so disturbed by Hasan's persistent questioning that he recommended the mosque reject Hasan's request to become a lay Muslim leader at Fort Hood. But he never saw a need to tell anyone at the sprawling Army post about the talks, because Hasan never expressed anger toward the Army or indicated any plans for violence.

"If I had an inkling that he had this type of inclination or intentions, definitely I would have brought it to their attention," he said.

Finnell said he did just that during a year of study in which Hasan made a presentation "that justified suicide bombing" and spewed "anti-American propaganda" as he argued the war on terror was "a war against Islam." Finnell said he and at least one other student complained about Hasan, surprised that someone with "this type of vile ideology" would be allowed to wear an officer's uniform.

But Finnell said no one filed a formal, written complaint about Hasan's comments out of fear of appearing discriminatory.

"In retrospect, I'm not surprised he did it," Finnell said. "I had real questions about what his priorities were, what his beliefs were."

Hasan received a poor performance evaluation while at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly. And while he was an intern at the suburban Washington hospital, Hasan had some "difficulties" that required counseling and extra supervision, said Dr. Thomas Grieger, who was the training director at the time.

Hasan was promoted from captain to major in 2008, the same year he graduated from the master's program. Bernard Rostker, a military personnel expert at the Rand Corp., said Hasan's advancement was all but certain absent a serious blemish on his record, such as a DUI or a drug charge.

"We're short of officers, particularly at the major and lieutenant colonel level because of the war, and we're short of psychiatrists," said Rostker, who served as under secretary of defense for personnel and readiness during the Clinton administration. "There would have had to be something very detrimental in his record before there would have been a banner that would have said, 'No, we don't want to promote him.'"

Both military and civilian investigators have yet to talk with Hasan, who reportedly jumped up on a desk and shouted "Allahu akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" — at the start of Thursday's attack. He was seriously wounded by police and transferred Friday to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, and officials said late Saturday he was no longer on a respirator.

"Hopefully, they can put together the pieces and find out what in the world was in his mind and why he went crazy," Danquah said. "Aaaaah, it's sad. Those soldiers could have been my soldiers."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:18 am

IMO, if he knew the American military was not his cup of tea, he should have never joined. The odds of any soldier being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan at this time are very good.

He was a Major..not a PFC. He knew the ropes..knew what to expect.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:37 am

FOXNews.com

- November 08, 2009

Lieberman Announces Senate Investigation Into Fort Hood Shooting

The Independent Democrat, who chairs the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, said there were 'strong warning signs' that the alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, was an 'Islamist extremist.'

Sen. Joe Lieberman announced Sunday that he intends to lead a congressional investigation into the mass shooting at Fort Hood, saying the attack could qualify as a "terrorist act" rooted in Islamic radicalism -- the worst since 9/11.

The Independent Democrat, who chairs the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, said there were "strong warning signs" that the alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, was an "Islamist extremist."

"If that is true, the murder of these 13 people was a terrorist act and, in fact, it was the most destructive terrorist act to be committed on American soil since 9/11," Lieberman told "Fox News Sunday."

The Connecticut senator said authorities "don't know enough" yet, but said his panel would investigate the gunman's motives and "ask whether the Army missed warning signs that should have led them to essentially discharge him."

Lieberman said that if Hasan were showing warning signs, "The U.S. Army has to have zero tolerance. He should have been gone."

In interviews Sunday, Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey urged the public not to rush to conclusions about Hasan's motives with an investigation underway. He described reports about early warning signs as "speculation" based on anecdotes.

"I don't want to say that we missed it," he said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

The attacks on Fort Hood in Texas last Thursday left 13 people dead and 29 wounded.

The rampage sparked a debate about whether it could be viewed as an act of terrorism.

The alleged gunman, a Palestinian-American and an Army psychiatrist, reportedly shouted "Allahu akbar! -- Arabic for "God is great!" when he opened fire. He was seriously wounded by police and is being treated in a military hospital.

The military has said he was scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan, and family members suggested he was trying to avoid serving overseas.

That doesn't add up to the prelude to a terrorist attack, said Carl Tobias, a professor of law at University of Richmond who analyzes terrorist investigations across the country.

"Terrorist attacks are undertaken by people who typically ... have some agenda they want to forward politically, and from what I see in the news, this is just a person acting individually because he doesn't want to deploy overseas," he said. "So I just don't see that angle."

But others disagreed.

Lieberman said bystanders' accounts of the attack raise "genuine concerns that this was a terrorist act."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:41 am

It is horrendous and a tragedy but not a terrorist attack. It should go under homeland security but only because it happened on a military base. I am glad someone is pushing for a investigation just because unstable people should not be in the armed forces. The fact this soldier was a psychiatrist he knew how to get around all the mental health test that are part of a soldier physical. So I really don't think anyone is at fault here except Nidal Malik Hasan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:46 am

I agree, Linda Marie; however, it would be very, very sad to learn that this was, in fact, an act or terrorism.

I know these soldiers have extensive background checks run on them prior to joining. I want to believe this was just a lone act with a seemingly very, very confused person reference his faith and upbringing.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Army Releases List of Fort Hood Shooting Fatalities

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:50 am

By PETER SANDERS

FORT HOOD, Texas – The Army released an official list of the 13 people fatally shot at Fort Hood and said 16 victims were still being treated in hospitals, 9 of them in intensive care units.
Fort Hood's Deceased

The fatal victims of the Fort Hood shooting, as released by the Department of Defense on Saturday.

* 1. Lt. Col. Juanita Warman, 55, Havre de Grace, Md.
* 2. Maj. Libardo Caraveo, 52, Woodbridge, Va.
* 3. Cpt. John P. Gaffaney, 54, San Diego, Calif.
* 4. Cpt. Russell Seager, 41, Racine, Wis.
* 5. Staff Sgt. Justin Decrow, 32, Plymouth, Ind.
* 6. Sgt. Amy Krueger, 29, Kiel, Wis.
* 7. Spc. Jason Hunt, 22, Tillman, Okla.
* 8. Spc. Frederick Greene, 29, Mountain City, Tenn.
* 9. PFC Aaron Nemelka, 19, West Jordan, Utah
* 10. PFC Michael Pearson, 22, Bolingbrook, Ill.
* 11. PFC Kham Xiong, 23, St. Paul, Minn.
* 12. Pvt. Francheska Velez, 21, Chicago, Ill.
* 13. Michael G. Cahill, Cameron, Texas [civilian]

The alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, had been taken off a ventilator but also remained in intensive care in an Army hospital in San Antonio, officials said Saturday night. They would not confirm that he was speaking.

After interviewing more than 170 witnesses, including some of the wounded, the Army remains convinced that the major acted alone, said Chris Grey, a spokesman for the Army's Criminal Investigation Division. But he said the motive for Maj. Hasan's deadly rampage has not yet been determined.

Maj. Hasan was slated to deploy to Afghanistan in late November. He opened fire in an area where soldiers from 20 units were waiting to enter a processing center where they would receive dental and medical treatment before going overseas.

The two guns he allegedly used in the attack have been sent to an Army CID lab in Atlanta. Army officials have said Maj. Hasan fired more than 100 rounds of ammunition from at least one handgun during the rampage.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Some saw trouble ahead for Fort Hood suspect

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:02 pm

By ANGELA K. BROWN and RICHARD LARDNER, Associated Press Writers Angela K. Brown And Richard Lardner, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 1 min ago

FORT HOOD, Texas – In retrospect, the signs of Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan's growing anger over the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan seem unmistakable. But even people who worried his increasingly strident views were clouding his ability to serve the U.S. military could not predict the murderous rampage of which he now stands accused.

In the months leading to Thursday's shooting spree that left 13 people dead and 29 others wounded, Hasan raised eyebrows with comments that the war on terror was "a war on Islam" and wrestled with what to tell fellow Muslim solders who had their doubts about fighting in Islamic countries.

"The system is not doing what it's supposed to do," said Dr. Val Finnell, who complained to administrators at a military university about what he considered Hasan's "anti-American" rants. "He at least should have been confronted about these beliefs, told to cease and desist, and to shape up or ship out."

Finnell studied with Hasan from 2007-2008 in the master's program in public health at the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., where Hasan persistently complained about perceived anti-Muslim sentiment in the military and injected his politics into courses where they had no place.

"In retrospect, I'm not surprised he did it," Finnell said of the shootings. "I had real questions about what his priorities were, what his beliefs were."

Hasan, who was shot by civilian police and taken into custody, was in intensive care but breathing on his own late Saturday at an Army hospital in San Antonio. Officials refused to say if he was talking to investigators.

At least 17 victims remained hospitalized with gunshot wounds, and nine were in intensive care late Saturday. On Sunday, numerous church services honoring the victims were planned both on the post and in neighboring Killeen.

Military criminal investigators continue to refer to Hasan as the only suspect in the shootings but won't say when charges would be filed. "We have not established a motive for the shootings at this time," said Army Criminal Investigative Command spokesman Chris Grey.

A government official speaking on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss the case said an initial review of Hasan's computer use has found no evidence of links to terror groups, or anyone who might have helped plan or push him toward the shooting attack. The review of Hasan's computer is continuing, the official said.

Army investigators on Sunday were searching for additional evidence to put together a comprehensive bullet trajectory analysis. Investigators were "seeking any military or civilian personnel who may have left the scene ... with gunshot damage such as damaged privately owned vehicles," Fort Hood spokesman Chris Haug said in a statement.

Hasan likely would face military justice rather than federal criminal charges if investigators determine the violence was the work of just one person.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said he plans to begin a congressional investigation to determine whether the shootings constitute a terrorist attack.

Lieberman, an independent from Connecticut, said on "Fox News Sunday" that he wants to find out whether the Army missed warning signs that Hasan was becoming extreme in his Islamist views.

"If Hasan was showing signs, saying to people that he had become an Islamist extremist, the U.S. Army has to have zero tolerance," he said. "He should have been gone."

Army Chief of Staff George Casey warned against reaching conclusions about the suspected shooter's motives until investigators have fully explored the attack.

He said on ABC's "This Week" that focusing on Hasan's Islamic roots could "heighten the backlash" against all Muslims in the military.

Hasan's family described a man incapable of the attack, calling him a devoted doctor and devout Muslim who showed no signs that he might lash out.

"I've known my brother Nidal to be a peaceful, loving and compassionate person who has shown great interest in the medical field and in helping others," his brother, Eyad Hasan, of Sterling, Va., said in a statement. "He has never committed an act of violence and was always known to be a good, law-abiding citizen."

Still, in the days since authorities believe Hasan fired more than 100 rounds in a soldier processing center at Fort Hood in the worst mass shooting on a military facility in the U.S., a picture has emerged of a man who was forcefully opposed to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, was trying to elude his pending deployment to Afghanistan and had struggled professionally in his work as an Army psychiatrist.

"I told him, `There's something wrong with you,'" Osman Danquah, co-founder of the Islamic Community of Greater Killeen, told The Associated Press on Saturday. "I didn't get the feeling he was talking for himself, but something just didn't seem right."

Danquah assumed the military's chain of command knew about Hasan's doubts, which had been known for more than a year to classmates at the Maryland graduate military medical program. His fellow students complained to the faculty about Hasan's "anti-American propaganda," but said a fear of appearing discriminatory against a Muslim student kept officers from filing a formal complaint.

Others recalled a pleasant neighbor who forgave a fellow soldier charged with tearing up his "Allah is Love" bumper sticker. A superior officer at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, Col. Kimberly Kesling, has said Hasan was quiet with a strong work ethic who provided excellent care for his patients.

Twice this summer, Danquah said, Hasan asked him what to tell soldiers who expressed misgivings about fighting fellow Muslims. The retired Army first sergeant and Gulf War veteran said he reminded Hasan that these soldiers had volunteered to fight, and that Muslims were fighting each other in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Palestinian territories.

"I'd give him my response. It didn't seem settled, you know. It didn't seem to satisfy," he said. "It would be like a person playing the devil's advocate. ... I said, `Look. I'm not impressed by you.'"

Danquah said he was disturbed by Hasan's persistent questioning but never told anyone at the sprawling Army post about the talks, because Hasan never expressed anger toward the Army or indicated any plans for violence.

"If I had an inkling that he had this type of inclination or intentions, definitely I would have brought it to their attention," he said.

Hasan was promoted from captain to major in 2008, the same year he graduated from the master's program. Bernard Rostker, a military personnel expert at the Rand Corp., said a shortage of officers and psychiatrists meant Hasan's advancement was all but certain absent a serious blemish on his record, such as a DUI or a drug charge.

Hasan reportedly jumped up on a desk and shouted "Allahu akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great!" — at the start of Thursday's attack.

"Hopefully, they can put together the pieces and find out what in the world was in his mind and why he went crazy," Danquah said. "Aaaaah, it's sad. Those soldiers could have been my soldiers."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Fort Hood gunman conscious

Post by Nama on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Fort Hood gunman conscious

The US Army psychiatrist accused of opening fire on soldiers here, killing 13 people, was conscious and talking, the Austin American Statesman newspaper reported.

A spokesman at the Brooke Army Medical Centre in San Antonio, Texas, told the newspaper Sunday that Major Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, was responsive. The spokesman was not sure whether Hasan, who was shot four times by base police, was talking with investigators.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Thanks for the article, BJ. Honestly, sometimes the media thinks we are so stupid.

Of COURSE Hasaan is speaking with investigators and the FBI, to name a few. They are all over him like white on rice!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:13 am

His lips might be zipped.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:59 am

I think they may have first reported that Hasan was dead because he was and they resuscitated him. Does anyone besides me see irony in the fact that his life was saved so he might be put to death by our judicial system?

Consider during WW1 and 2 how the people of German and Japanese decent felt when they went to war as soldiers for the United States. Or how the Native American Indians working for the Military, tracked down and then watched as other tribes of Indians were being wiped out of existence.

What sort of solace and comfort was this man Hasan offering to our Soldiers when they came home from this war?
And if he was performing his job badly why was he then tranfered to another base, instead of being removed from his position?
Do you think he's laying in his hospital room in San Antonio, feeling warm and SAFE and on the mend?
The Military and several LE agencies stand guard outside his door, do you think he's feeling protected by these individuals?

Most of us gladly do not understand the desire to kill on behalf of our religion or the prejudices of other's. Was this man's life spared so that he might answer some philosophical question of "WHY"
It does not matter what he says our doesn't say, because to those who lost people they love no excuse he gives will justify his actions!

Last edited by NiteSpinR on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Hospital: Ft. Hood shooting suspect awake, talking

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Hospital: Ft. Hood shooting suspect awake, talking

By ANGELA K. BROWN and PAMELA HESS, Associated Press Writers Angela K. Brown And Pamela Hess, Associated Press Writers – 13 mins ago

FORT HOOD, Texas – The man accused of killing 13 people and wounding 29 at Fort Hood is able to talk, a hospital spokesman said Monday, but it's unknown when investigators might take advantage of his improving health to press forward with their probe into the shooting spree.

Authorities say Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan fired off more than 100 rounds Thursday at a soldier processing center before civilian police shot him in the torso. He was taken into custody and eventually moved to an Army hospital in San Antonio, where he was in stable condition and able to talk, said Dewey Mitchell, a Brooke Army Medical Center spokesman.

Authorities continue to refer to Hasan, 39, as the only suspect in the shootings, but they won't say when charges would be filed and have said they have not determined a motive. A spokesman for Army investigators did not immediately respond to calls and e-mails seeking comment Monday.

Fifteen victims remained hospitalized with gunshot wounds, and eight were in intensive care.

The personal Web site for a radical American imam living in Yemen who had contact with two 9/11 hijackers praised Hasan as a hero.

The posting Monday on the Web site for Anwar al Awlaki, who was a spiritual leader at two mosques where three 9/11 hijackers worshipped, said American Muslims who condemned the Fort Hood attack are hypocrites who have committed treason against their religion.

Awlaki said the only way a Muslim can justify serving in the U.S. military is if he intends to "follow in the footsteps of men like Nidal."

"Nidal Hassan (sic) is a hero," Awlaki said. "He is a man of conscience who could not bear living the contradiction of being a Muslim and serving in an army that is fighting against his own people."

Two U.S. intelligence officials told The Associated Press the Web site was Awlaki's. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence collection. Awlaki did not immediately respond to an attempt to contact him through the Web site.

Hasan's family attended the Dar al Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Va., where Awlaki was preaching in 2001. Hasan's mother's funeral was held at the mosque on May 31, 2001, according to her obituary in the Roanoke Times newspaper, around the same time two 9/11 hijackers worshipped at the mosque and while Awlaki was preaching.

Awlaki is a native-born U.S. citizen who left the United States in 2002, eventually traveling to Yemen. He was released from a Yemeni jail last year and has since gone missing. He is on Yemen's most wanted militant list, according to three Yemeni security officials.

The officials say Awlaki was arrested in 2006 with a small group of suspected al-Qaida militants in the capital San'a. They say he was released more than a year later after signing a pledge he will not break the law or leave the country. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

The Falls Church mosque is one of the largest on the East Coast, and thousands of worshippers attend prayers and services there every week.

Imam Johari Abdul-Malik, outreach director at Dar al Hijrah, said he did not know whether Hasan ever attended the mosque but confirmed that the Hasan family participated in services there. Abdul-Malik said the Hasans were not leaders at the mosque and their attendance was normal.

The London Telegraph first reported the potential link between Hasan and the mosque.

Sen. Joe Lieberman said Sunday he wants Congress to determine whether the shootings constitute a terrorist attack and whether warning signs that Hasan was embracing an increasingly extremist view of Islamic ideology were missed.

Classmates who participated in a 2007-2008 master's program at a military college told The Associated Press that they complained to faculty during the program about what they considered to be Hasan's anti-American views, which included his giving a presentation that justified suicide bombing and telling classmates that Islamic law trumped the U.S. Constitution.

"If Hasan was showing signs, saying to people that he had become an Islamist extremist, the U.S. Army has to have zero tolerance," Lieberman, an independent from Connecticut, said on "Fox News Sunday." "He should have been gone."

Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey said Sunday it's important for the country not to get caught up in speculation about Hasan's Muslim faith, and he has instructed his commanders to be on the lookout for anti-Muslim reaction to the killings at the Texas post.

Casey, who appeared on ABC's "This Week" and CNN's "State of the Union," said evidence to this point shows that Hasan acted alone.

President Barack Obama is scheduled to attend a memorial service Tuesday honoring victims of the attack. Lt. Gen. Robert Cone, the post commander, said the service will include a roll call of names of the dead and a 21-gun salute.

Fort Hood officials said the country's largest military installation was moving forward with the business of soldiering. The building where Hasan allegedly opened fire remains a crime scene, but a processing center is scheduled to reopen Thursday in a new, temporary location.

Command Sgt. Maj. Arthur L. Coleman Jr. said Monday that reopening the center is an important step in returning the Army post to normal. Cone said the post stepped up security, including suspending visits by the public, largely to reassure the population that the sprawling base is safe and won't "become a battlefield."

Sgt. 1st Class Frank Minnie was in the processing center last week getting some health tests and immunizations in preparation for his deployment. Minnie said that even after the shootings, Fort Hood soldiers have the attitude that "the mission still goes on."

"Everybody's going to grieve a little bit. It hurts a lot because it's one of your battle buddies, and someone lost a mom, dad, brother or sister," said Minnie, 37, who served in Iraq in 2006. "But it doesn't change my perspective of going to war. I've got a job to do."

Last edited by Wrapitup on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:30 pm

NiteSpinR wrote:I think they may have first reported that Hasan was dead because he was and they resuscitated him. Does anyone besides me see irony in the fact that his life was saved so he might be put to death by our judicial system?

Consider during WW1 and 2 how the people of German and Japanese decent felt when they went to war as soldiers for the United States. Or how the Native American Indians working for the Military, tracked down and then watched as other tribes of Indians were being wiped out of existence.

What sort of solace and comfort was this man Hasan offering to out Soldiers when they came home from this war?
And if he was performing his job badly why was he then tranfered to another base, instead of being removed from his position?
Do you think he's laying in his hospital room in San Antonio, feeling warm and SAFE and on the mend?
The Military and several LE agencies stand guard outside his door, do you think he's feeling protected by these individuals?

Most of us gladly do not understand the desire to kill on behalf of our religion or the prejudices of other's. Was this man's life spared so that he might answer some philosophical question of "WHY"
It does not matter what he says our doesn't say, because to those who lost people they love no excuse he gives will justify his actions!
I wholeheartedly agree with you, Nitespinner. In almost any other country, this man would have probably been shot dead (trust, me any soldier knows how to shoot to kill) or left to bleed to death.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:00 pm

He is awake and alert HLN said.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:06 pm

I bet he wished he had been shot to death.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:32 pm

I think if given the opportunity he will attempt suicide again.

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:37 pm

I completely agree, NiteSpinner.

Obama and Michelle w/be here tomorrow. Security will be thick as thieves.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Hasan will face a court-martial

Post by Nama on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:12 am

Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan will be tried in a military court-martial, and prosecutors are expected to seek the death penalty, officials said yesterday.

FBI and Army investigators tried to interview Hasan, who is recovering from bullet wounds in a San Antonio Army hospital, on Sunday, but he refused and demanded a lawyer.

Under the military system, Hasan's fellow Army officers - almost certainly combat veterans - will rule on whether he is guilty of the mass murder of 12 soldiers and one civilian at Fort Hood, and, if so, on his punishment. A death penalty would be carried out by lethal injection.

The last military execution was carried out in 1961, and the last execution in a federal court case was in 2003.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Officials denied access to Hasan

Post by Nama on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:17 am

Officials denied access to Hasan
Lawyer asks investigators not to question shooter

A lawyer for the Army psychiatrist accused in a deadly shooting spree at Fort Hood said Monday he asked investigators not to question his client and expressed doubt that the suspect would be able to get a fair trial, given the widespread attention to the case.

Retired Col. John P. Galligan said he was contacted Monday by Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan’s family and was headed to an Army hospital in San Antonio to meet Hasan.

“Until I meet with him, it’s best to say we’re just going to protect all of his rights,” Galligan said.http://www.stjoenews.net/news/2009/nov/10/officials-denied-access-hasan/?local

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum