Sandy, Oregon - Michelle Smith pleads guilty of the murder of Alexis Pounder and is sentenced to 30 yrs/ New charges for Donald Lee Cockrell who could be facing the death penalty

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Re: Sandy, Oregon - Michelle Smith pleads guilty of the murder of Alexis Pounder and is sentenced to 30 yrs/ New charges for Donald Lee Cockrell who could be facing the death penalty

Post by CritterFan1 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:06 am

laga wrote:I read somewhere on VH that meth addicts have sores on their face and I see something on this woman's face? I am sure their defense team will come up with some excuse for this. Wrap, you ask what is wrong with these people...I think evil is rampant and there is not enough people who actually give a damn about the children and those that do are mostly powerless to change anything beyond their own little world. crying
Soon as I saw her picture I thought the same thing, that Smith is a meth head. This case has twisted my stomach into knots, just imagining what little Alexis went thru, imaging the agony of starving to death and being hurt and not knowing why.
Looking at her scalp and thin hair breaks my heart. She looks like a child on chemo.

CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Sandy, Oregon - Michelle Smith pleads guilty of the murder of Alexis Pounder and is sentenced to 30 yrs/ New charges for Donald Lee Cockrell who could be facing the death penalty

Post by cherylz on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:45 pm

I am trying to figure out if the pic way upthread of this little girl was taken b4 the last few pics of her. In the last few pics she looks more frail, thin and her hair is so thin and scraggly. In the pic further up her hair is longer and appears thicker, and she looks of better weight. What do you guys think? Stuff like this really bothers me.
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:49 pm

I think if she was suffering from being malnourished
her hair would start falling out so that picture of her might be fairly recent.
The no good dirty bastard and there are no words for her =I hope they give them life. Did you all notice that the sentences for killing children are much lighter than for killing adults?
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by cherylz on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:21 pm

And doesn't she look so much tinier in the last posted pics? And to think she once had long blonde hair.
I wonder if she had well/sick-child visits w/ her Doc. Would be interesting to get a hold of those records. 🇳🇴
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:44 pm

mommyof3kids wrote:I read in an article that this little Girls mother (NOT a POI) said her daughter had an appetite problem and they had talked to a Dr. about getting her healthy. What happened with that?? I mean, if any of us had a child that was a picky eater, we would do EVERY THING we could to get our child healthy. Letting them eat what ever they wanted if that meant they would gain weight, so what did this dad and girlfriend do? Why did they NOT feed this child what ever would help her gain weight?

Makes me sick. It\\'s Not Fair
Yes, so true what you have said. Furthermore, if a parent keeps up with a doctor, the child would wind up tube-fed or IV fed or the like, if she had a condition in which she could hardly eat and her condition would have been investigated to see what is causing this maybe. A mother always makes sure that a child is eating and drinking enough to stay healthy. These people have no excuses. We mourn another beautiful innocent child here---too bad there are so many parents who cannot even feel a tiny fraction of love and concern for their own children as we do here on this site.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Normal In Memory of Alexis Marie Pounder ~Matthew West Save a Place for Me lyrics~

Post by Nama on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Last edited by BJ in OR on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by cherylz on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Oh God. How sad. She had a smile that lit up the room. She must have wondered what she did that was so wrong, to have food withheld and to be beaten. She looked dirty and the house looked filthy. That poor little girl. Don't you just want to save them all? crying
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:12 pm

crying BJ that was a great video to post. crying
The song is beautiful and perfect for Alexis. It is so darn sad.
over reaction

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:18 pm

I cant watch it - I will want to go and beat them to a pulp. Its too damn sad.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:19 pm

artgal16 wrote:I cant watch it - I will want to go and beat them to a pulp. Its too damn sad.
I am with you on this one, Artgal. I can't do it. crying

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:15 pm

I can't watch it, I tried. Breaks my heart just looking at her, how much she changed from a darling child with shiny eyes and hair to a child that looked like it was starving in a third world country. How did she fall thru the cracks. Fill in the CRACKS. THIS is America, there should be no cracks. If we cannot protect our children, we cannot protect our future. Our children are our future.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:19 pm

The pics of Alexis with the two broken legs has killed me. She looks adorable, still a happy child even though her legs were broken by abuse. Won't sleep tonight. Too much sadness.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:38 pm

I couldnt watch it -what do you mean two broken legs
are her legs in casts?
if I watch it it will haunt me
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:46 pm

There was a pic of her on a slide with two full casts on her legs in different colors. I guess Linda Marie deleted it.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:49 pm

Yes two broken legs. She was a beautiful baby that was so obviously was horribly neglected and abused. It show's in many of the clips of her from being a baby to toddler hood.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:58 pm

No way I can watch that. If I didn't have grandkids around these ages I might - MIGHT be able to.

There are some here that may need to take a break from the crimes and all the sadness. I cannot say I blame anyone who needs a breather from time to time. It can really get to you!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cherylz on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:07 pm

I thought the girl w/ the legs in casts was the other angel...Kelsey Briggs?
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:09 pm

I want to know who the doctor was that treated that child for TWO broken legs - why wasnt this reported to DCF????
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:22 pm

cherylz wrote:I thought the girl w/ the legs in casts was the other angel...Kelsey Briggs?
Cherylz, you are correct. Honest to God, there are so damned many little ones who are being beaten and killed or starved to death even I am becoming confused.

Thank you for clearing that up!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Alexis Marie Pounder

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:28 pm

Lets ask some questions here:

1. Alexis was only in the custody of her father and his fiance for a little more than 3 months, yet the photos show that she has been frail thin for a long time. Should her biological mother who had her the rest of the time be held responsible for her health as well? Also her biological mother lost custody of her due to her own drug abuse issues. Was she neglecting this little girl as well? Also her biological mother did visit her whenever she chose to, yet her own issues kept her away.

2. The photos of the house that was for sale was not where they lived. They lived in an apartment that was attached to the side of the house, very similar to living in a duplex. Could it be the grandparents didn't know what was going on because they were respecting privacy?, could it be the grandparents had full time jobs that kept them from the house?

3. Why didn't Michelles own kids show any signs of abuse or neglect?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:41 pm

First off, Welcome Heartbroken. I can see you ARE heartbroken and am wondering if you are related to this family as you are privy to some information I had not heard or read.

I will try to answer or ask my own questions:

1. You say Alexis was only in the custody of her father and his fiancee for "a little more than 3 months". In that time period, if you know..did Alexis look underweight, malnourished, did she eat, did she have a good appetite? Within a bit over 3 months, an adult who has custody of her would be able to know the answers to those questions.

2. As a grandmother myself, I would at least be seeing my grandchild a few times a week...especially if she lived right next door to me. I wouldn't be able to stay away..privacy be damned. In that three month span, I would most definitely notice if my grandchild was underweight or not eating.

3. I have no idea about Michelle's own kids.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Alexis did not live near her own grandmother. I do know Alexis arrived in their care in an extremly malnourished state. No I am not related to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:06 pm

If Alexis did in fact arrive in their care in an extremely malnourished state, WHY wasn't she taken immediately to the hospital? Three months is a long time to allow a malnourished child to stay malnourished without seeing a doctor.

Also, the autopsy showed blunt force trauma so that sweet little innocent girl died not only from starving to death.

None of this makes sense. How could anyone see an extremely malnourished child and NOT do something about it immediately??

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Death penalty looms over alleged abuser/ Smith pleads not guilty

Post by Nama on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:14 pm

The death penalty is possible if Michelle N. Smith, 24, is found guilty of aggravated murder in the death of her fiance’s child, Alexis Pounder, 3.

Donald L. Cockrell, 27, and Smith, both of Sandy, were formally indicted by a Clackamas County grand jury Tuesday afternoon.

The indictment accuses Smith of inflicting “intentional torture” and showing “extreme indifference to the value of human life.”

Other charges against Smith include three counts of murder by abuse and four counts of first-degree criminal mistreatment.

Cockrell also is charged with murder by abuse, which includes neglect and maltreatment. Cockrell also is named in two counts of criminal mistreatment.

The indictment, from a panel of citizen jurors, tells the court there is probable cause to hold the two for Pounder’s alleged murder. They have been held in the Clackamas County Jail without bail since they were arrested.

Circuit Court Judge Jeffrey S. Jones set the date for a trial to begin at 9 a.m. March 2, but Deputy District Attorney Christine Landers, the prosecuting attorney, said the trial probably won’t start on that date. It is very likely, she said, to be postponed to a later date.

Immediately after the indictment was read in court Tuesday, an attorney for Smith entered a not guilty plea, and the judge allowed him to recuse himself. Another attorney will take the case before the next court appearance.

http://www.sandypost.com/news/story.php?story_id=126395891868165100

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Cockrell pleaded guilty also

Post by Nama on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:18 pm

A Clackamas County grand jury boosted charges to aggravated murder Tuesday for a Sandy-area woman accused of fatally torturing her fiance's 3-year-old daughter.

That means Michelle Nicole Smith, 24, could face the death penalty if convicted in the death of Alexis "Lexi" Marie Pounder, whose battered, emaciated body was found Jan. 9 in a home owned by her parents south of Sandy.

Smith also was charged with three counts of murder by abuse for allegedly starving Lexi and her sister. She also faces four counts of first-degree criminal mistreatment for "deliberate cruelty" by withholding food, physical care and medical attention.

Donald Cockrell
Meanwhile, her fiance, Donald Lee Cockrell, 27, was charged with one count of murder by abuse, alleging that he subjected Lexi to "blunt force trauma and chronic starvation." He also was charged with two counts of criminal mistreatment for allegedly withholding care.

Court documents did not explain the basis for the more serious charges against Smith and did not offer a motive in the girl's death.

The two pleaded not guilty at separate arraignments Tuesday in Clackamas County Circuit Court. Both are being held without bail in the Clackamas County Jail.

Their joint trial was tentatively set for March 2.

Smith and Cockrell were arrested Jan. 10 after sheriff's deputies were called to a home on Southeast Cottontail Lane, a dead-end street in a rural area south of Sandy. The five-bedroom home, where Smith grew up, is owned by her parents, Eugene Calvin Smith, 55, and Kimberly Jean Smith, 53.

The elder Smiths live upstairs in separate quarters. Cockrell, Michelle Smith and the children lived downstairs. Lexi and her sister are Cockrell's children; the others are Smith's.

The four surviving children remain in a state shelter.

Both Cockrell and Smith worked in 2008 as security guards for DePaul Industries, which provides security services for other agencies and businesses. Dave Shaffer, DePaul chief executive officer, said Cockrell and Smith passed background checks but then proved to be unreliable.

The state Department of Public Safety Standards and Training has suspended their security guard licenses.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2010/01/sandy_woman_could_face_death_p.html

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 pm

I think we have to wait for things to come out in trial. Alexis was reportedly taken to the doctor by Michelle, I suppose there should be evidence of this in trial. Remember Alexis was placed with them, and DHS was involved with that placement, so another question would be: Are there any follow up procedures when a child id placed in a new home?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:38 pm

With all due respect, I wouldn't give a damn how many times DHS came to my home if I had a child in my home who was emaciated. I would do whatever it took to make sure this child was seen by a doctor or doctor's, given IV's, whatever it takes.

I think we all know how screwed up DHS all over the USA can be.

And then, there is the blunt force trauma. How can that be explained away?

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:15 am

How can the broken legs just get brushed under the table? I can barely look at her smiling face in that picture, she looks so innocent, so happy.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 am

I thought it was cleared up and it was Kelsey that had a picture of her with two broken legs? I will try to clear that up more if I can. Heartbroken welcome2 to Victims Heartland.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:58 am

cherylz wrote:Lindamarie...do u know when these pics were taken? Her face is gaunt, esp. in the last one. And look how thin and scraggly her hair is--u can see her scalp. And look how she was so happy eating. What a cruel death...it is a slow, painful death. crying May Alexis be in a safe place now.
I am sorry I don't know when they were taken or where.

Back to top Go down

Post by cherylz on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:00 am

If that poor baby was so thin that she literally starved to death, WHOEVER, had her in their care would get her to a Doctor. I can assure you she would have been sent straight to the Hospital for IV treatment, etc....And as Wrap says, she had 2 causes of death...blunt force trauma. So in her weakened, frail, dying state she was what...punched?
It sounds like everyone in her little life didn't care enough to do the right thing. They all failed her. Sorry.
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:04 am

Heartbroken wrote:I think we have to wait for things to come out in trial. Alexis was reportedly taken to the doctor by Michelle, I suppose there should be evidence of this in trial. Remember Alexis was placed with them, and DHS was involved with that placement, so another question would be: Are there any follow up procedures when a child id placed in a new home?
By God there should be follow up in cases like this. Heartbroken do you know how long they had custody of Alexis? I understand from what you said and what I read that Alexis came to them malnourished. But there is no explanation for the blunt force trauma that killed her. Plus the word torture was used. The Medical examiner can tell how old the injuries are.

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:46 am

cherylz wrote:If that poor baby was so thin that she literally starved to death, WHOEVER, had her in their care would get her to a Doctor. I can assure you she would have been sent straight to the Hospital for IV treatment, etc....And as Wrap says, she had 2 causes of death...blunt force trauma. So in her weakened, frail, dying state she was what...punched?
It sounds like everyone in her little life didn't care enough to do the right thing. They all failed her. Sorry.
I am about to cry reading your post. How could someone, anyone not have taken her to the dr, the parents of the "fiance", anyone that took one look at her. Failure to thrive...no way. Failure to be loved and properly cared for. She breaks my heart, it is hard to compare pics of her happy and healthy to the latter pics, of her pale, almost bald, wan. crying
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by cherylz on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:58 am

Oh Critter, I am sorry.
These cases are really getting to me. It's like every day we hear of yet another one. And when we see pics of some they look like happy, normal children. It makes you wonder what goes on behind closed doors.
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Post by adelacruz on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 pm

i hate hearing of all these cases where somebody could've saved these babies and they dont!
i do not believe them that she had a problem with apetite! you can still keep a baby healthy! my 3yr old eats like a mouse a lil her a lil there, but we still make sure she eats enough and since she's looking a lil pale we give her vitamins now. she has an appointment next week for her 3yr check up and you bet i'm going to aske the dr a million questions to make sure she's healthy!
i do not care if the grandparents wanted to give them privacy! they should've still known she was not being fed!! my mom lives a few cities away from me and still sees her grandkids every other week!
these are all excuses
adelacruz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Katie eats like a bird to. She won't eat vegetables. A little fruit. She is not skinny by any means. She does take a multivitamin and her Nana makes sure she is taking them. If my Granddaughter looked like Alexis did I would not care about her Parents privacy at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:06 pm

She lived with them begining the middle of October. Was taken to the doctor a couple of times since moving there where the fiance looked for help geting her to eat. The father was charged with the blunt force trauma, and it is believed he is the one who beat and killed her. The fiance's children were not found to have suffered any abuse, and family is looking to care for them. His other child will stay in the foster system as there is no one who cares enough or has the ability to care for her. Believe me I am not saying anyone was innocent or right here, but I do think we all should make sure we have facts before passing any judgement. Newspapers and television reporters look for a story, and will not always tell everything, or sometimes get some things wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 pm

Heartbroken wrote:She lived with them begining the middle of October. Was taken to the doctor a couple of times since moving there where the fiance looked for help geting her to eat. The father was charged with the blunt force trauma, and it is believed he is the one who beat and killed her. The fiance's children were not found to have suffered any abuse, and family is looking to care for them. His other child will stay in the foster system as there is no one who cares enough or has the ability to care for her. Believe me I am not saying anyone was innocent or right here, but I do think we all should make sure we have facts before passing any judgement. Newspapers and television reporters look for a story, and will not always tell everything, or sometimes get some things wrong.

heartbroken we do have sympathy for victims here. Yes the media don't always get things right. I don't doubt anything you say and yes it will all come out in the trial. However the fiancé by not doing anything about the abuse makes her guilty in my eyes as well as legally responsible. It is great that her kids were found to be okay and that family is going to take care of them. When will these women wake up and stop shacking up with Men who abuse children?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:16 pm

I agree! The media, along with Nancy Grace and others like her, love to sensationalize these cases. The problem is that these are our only sources for information. The joint trial is not far off; hopefully we'll get the real facts then. We look forward to those that have "inside information" share it with us on VH. We're glad you're here, Heartbroken.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal When did it all go wrong?

Post by Nama on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:30 pm

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Donald and Heather

Alexis and Kara

Kara

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Those pictures speak VOLUMES. It is so evident little Alexis is underweight. I would like to know to what lengths the fiance' went to to find help for Alexis. I would have taken her straight to the ER. Maybe she was afraid the authorities would think she was the one starving her?? Also, abusers usually give you many signs they are abusive. Little things they say or do until BAM, it happens. Did the fiance' not see these signs? And what of the owners of the house? Did they not ever see this little one looking so wane and think something is wrong??

Many of us here are retired (as BJ & I are) or the members get online from work and on the weekends or after the little ones are asleep. It's certainly a valid question.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:47 pm

Good that you moved some of the posts, as was becoming off topic. We need to keep this thread focused on the untimely and unnecessary death of little Alexis.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:36 pm

The trial was to start March 2. I cannot find anything on it.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:44 pm

Mar 3, 2010

Trial date set for alleged child torturers
Trial is 11 months off to give time to select an attorney, prepare defense.

A trial date has been set for Michelle N. Smith, 24, and her fiance, Donald L. Cockrell, 27, the two accused of the torture death of Cockrell’s 3-year-old daughter.

The trial is set to begin at 9 a.m. Jan. 26, 2011, in a Clackamas County Circuit Court.

The death penalty is possible if Smith is found guilty of aggravated murder.

The grand jury indictment accuses Smith of inflicting “intentional torture” and showing “extreme indifference to the value of human life.”

Other charges against Smith include three counts of murder by abuse and four counts of first degree criminal mistreatment.

Cockrell is charged with murder by abuse, which includes neglect and maltreatment. Cockrell also is named in two counts of criminal mistreatment.

The two have been held in the Clackamas County Jail without bail since they were arrested in January.

An autopsy performed the day after the girl’s death by Dr. Larry Lewman of the Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office revealed the girl died of “physical and nutritional child abuse.”

She literally had been beaten and starved to death. The indictment describes the abuse as “intentional torture,” “blunt force trauma,” and “chronic starvation.”

Cockrell’s other female child also was reported to have similar injuries and signs of abuse, according to Deputy District Attorney Christine Landers.

The four surviving children have been taken into protective custody by the Clackamas County Department of Health, Housing and Human Services.

http://www.sandypost.com/news/index.php

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Alexis Pounder

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:01 pm

A Sandy man and his fiancee were arrested Sunday evening and accused of murder in connection with the Saturday death of the man's 3-year-old child, the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office reported.

The child, who has not been identified, died of physical and nutritional child abuse, according to the Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office.

Donald Cockrell, 27, and Michelle N. Smith, 24, were lodged in the Clackamas County Jail just after 8:15 p.m., said Detective Jim Strovink, the sheriff's office public information officer. The couple are expected to be arraigned Monday. He said he could not say if the child was a boy or a girl.

"I can't get into all the details," he said, "but we were summoned to a Sandy home on Saturday to investigate the death of a child."

He said that an autopsy was performed Sunday, and the results would be released Monday. He said the child was living with Cockrell, the child's father, in a residence owned by his fiancee's parents. The parents, he said, lived in separate quarters in the home. When investigators arrived, he said, they found five minor children in the home. Two, Strovink said, were Cockrell's children; the others are Smith's.

Representatives from the Clackamas County Department of Health, Housing and Human Services were called to the home to remove the children and take them into protective custody.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/arrest_made_in_muder_of_3_year.html

Last edited by BJ on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Hard to believe we have to wait until Jan 2011 for this trial. I hope they both get the DP!! This case haunts me. crying

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:04 am

I just found this thread the other day (don't know how I missed it!), and am heartbroken over the suffering this poor little girl endured! To be starved to death & physically abused on top of that is just beyond despicable. I also hope these two monsters get the DP... by being starved to death!! angry

Last edited by Rainbow on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Normal Sandy woman pleads guilty in beating, starvation death of 3-year-old

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:43 am

December 03, 2010
A Sandy woman pleaded guilty to aggravated murder Friday in Clackamas County Circuit Court in the beating, torture and starvation death of her fiance's 3-year-old daughter.

Michelle Nicole Smith, 25, will serve a minimum of 30 years in prison and avoids the possibility of a death sentence. In return, she will testify against her fiance, Donald Lee Cockrell, 28, who goes on trial Jan. 26.

Alexis "Lexi" Marie Pounder was found dead in her home Jan. 9 of "blunt force trauma and acute starvation," according to court documents.

Investigators said it was one of the most brutal child deaths they have seen. A Clackamas County judge found photos of the girl so "graphic and disturbing" that he had them sealed in an envelope that can be opened only with the court's permission. Court documents said the Lexi's sister also was injured.

Details of the crime were not discussed Friday, but the enormity of what happened to Lexi Pounder briefly revealed itself.

Circuit Judge Robert D. Herndon quoted a letter outlining Smith's agreement that called Lexi the victim of "intentional torture."

And the girl's maternal grandmother took a seat in the courtroom but left in tears before the proceedings started.

Smith, dressed in jail garb and flanked by her attorneys, calmly answered questions from Herndon.

If Smith does not comply with her promise to assist in the Cockrell case, she faces additional charges of murder by abuse and first-degree criminal mistreatment – and possibly the death penalty.

Smith will be sentenced when the Cockrel case concludes. He is accused of murder by abuse and first-degree criminal mistreatment

The family lived in a home on Southeast Cottontail Lane, an isolated dead-end street in a rural area south of Sandy. The pale-blue, five-bedroom home, where Smith grew up, is owned by her parents, Eugene Calvin Smith, 51, and Kimberly Jean Smith, 53.

The elder Smiths live upstairs in separate quarters. Cockrell, Smith and their five children lived downstairs. Lexi and her sister are Cockrell's children; the others are Smith's.

The state Department of Human Services took temporary custody of the surviving children, who reportedly are living with relatives.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-city/index.ssf/2010/12/sandy_woman_pleads_guilty_in_beating_starvation_death_of_3-year-old.html

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Sandy man faces new charges, possible death penalty in death of daughter/ Donald Cockrell convicted of murder by abuse in death of 3-year-old daughter, Alexis "Lexi" Marie Pounder.

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:44 am

December 21, 2010
Sandy man accused of starving and torturing his 3-year-old daughter was reindicted Tuesday and now faces the death penalty as well as charges that he gave narcotics to his children and those of his girlfriend.

Donald Lee Cockrell, 28, had been charged with murder by abuse of his child, Alexis "Lexi" Marie Pounder. Clackamas County prosecutors added a charge of aggravated murder and five counts of unlawful delivery of a controlled substance to a minor. The drug Cockrell allegedly gave the children, oxycodone, is a commonly abused synthetic opiate.

Cockrell's girlfriend, Michelle Nicole Smith, 25, pleaded guilty to earlier this month to aggravated murder. Smith agreed to testify against Cockrell and will serve a minimum sentence of 30 years in return for her plea and cooperation. She will be sentenced when the case against Cockrell is completed.

Smith appeared before a grand jury this month. Her statements apparently led to the new charges against Cockrell.

Smith and Cockrell have one child and each has two children from prior relationships. All five children lived with the couple.

Lexi Pounder was found dead in her home Jan. 9 of "blunt force trauma and acute starvation," according to court documents. Several law enforcement sources familiar with the death said it was the most brutal child murder they have seen.

The state Department of Human Services took temporary custody of the surviving children.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2010/12/sandy_man_faces_new_charges_po.html

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum