Inmate Lawrence Reynolds Jr. Likely Over Dosed On Pills Before Execution/He was executed March 16th

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Inmate Lawrence Reynolds Jr. Likely Over Dosed On Pills Before Execution/He was executed March 16th

Post by NiteSpinR on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:53 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Posted on March 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio authorities say a death row inmate who was found unconscious in his cell two days before his scheduled execution likely overdosed on pills.
Prisons spokeswoman Julie Walburn says 43-year-old Lawrence Reynolds Jr. was found late Sunday unconscious in his cell at the Ohio State Penitentiary in Youngstown.
Walburn says he is expected to survive the suspected overdose. It isn't clear what kind they were or how he got them.
Reynolds was sentenced to die Tuesday for killing his neighbor in 1994. The status of his scheduled execution is now uncertain.

They are waiting for him to recover so he can be legally put to death! TOO Weird!

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Inmate Lawrence Reynolds Jr. Likely Over Dosed On Pills Before Execution/He was executed March 16th

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:31 pm

The grandaughter of the woman he murdered spoke about the delay and circumstances surrounding Reynolds overdose. "He wasn't being watched properly...there are a lot of questions unanswered. We were all waiting and prepared for this (the execution)and now it's just a waiting game," said the victim's grandaughter.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Inmate Lawrence Reynolds Jr. Likely Over Dosed On Pills Before Execution/He was executed March 16th

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:33 pm

His execution was moved to next Tuesday.
He gained a couple days........ He's still going down!

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Lawrence Reynolds Jr. had been scheduled to die last October, but Gov. Ted Strickland delayed the execution so the state could review its lethal injection procedure.

Since then, Ohio has switched from a three-drug process, which opponents said could cause severe pain, to a one-drug system. Reynolds lost a bid Friday to have the execution delayed so he can challenge the new system when federal appeals court "regretfully" denied his request. He plans to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Three inmates have been executed with the new method, and in each case death came in just a few minutes. Washington last week became the second state to adopt the procedure.

Reynolds, 43, was convicted for the 1994 killing of Loretta Foster, a widow who lived three doors down in their Cuyahoga Falls neighborhood in the Cleveland area.

Foster's family has been on an emotional roller coaster for the past five months while the inmate seeks another delay, this time from the court system, said Gail Hand, Loretta Foster's granddaughter.

Reynolds says the state hasn't worked out problems with accessing inmates' veins, and that a new backup plan that injects lethal drugs into muscles is untried and could cause pain.

The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati denied the request, with a judge arguing that the court has improperly dealt with challenges to the state's new system, and Reynolds' now plans to go to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Hand, 40, said her family has mixed feelings about the death penalty but wants the sentence upheld. "It's been a long process, and my heart is broken just as much today as it was 16 years ago," she said.

Reynolds' attorneys, at his request, declined comment.

Loretta Foster often baby-sat for children in her neighborhood, including Reynolds' younger siblings.

About a month before her murder, Foster hired Reynolds to paint her basement. Reynolds, an alcoholic who was out of work and had little money, claimed he was promised $300 but only got $100, prosecutors said.

Reynolds went to the widow's house on Jan. 11, 1994, wearing camouflage clothing and carrying a wooden tent pole, which he used to beat Foster when she reached for a phone and tried to call for help, prosecutors said. Then he strangled her and removed her clothes.

At a bar later that night, Reynolds told a group of friends what happened. The friends went to the police.

At the trial, Reynolds' defense team didn't deny that Reynolds was responsible for the murder but attempted to show that he was drunk and had not gone to Foster's house intending to kill her.

He was convicted of aggravated murder, aggravated robbery and attempted rape.

Reynolds has had few family visits while in prison, and his parents wanted nothing to do with his request for clemency last summer.

His sister, Lori Reynolds of Akron, said she remains so upset by the murder that she hasn't spoken to her older brother since his arrest.

"I personally feel that it's time for this to be done. Things just need put to rest," Lori Reynolds said. She knew of no plans by her family to attend the execution.

Hand said she doesn't expect Reynolds' execution to make anything better for the Foster family.

"I don't think there will ever be closure in a case like this," she said. "Even though we have such great memories of my grandmother, it's always clouded by the tragic way she died."

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by frogs on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

I don't get it. This guy was on death row. How did he get the pills? I think some guard or guards should be suspended and/or fired.
frogs

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Reynolds was sentenced to die Tuesday for killing his neighbor in 1994. The status of his scheduled execution is now uncertain.

UM YA THINK?

ROFLMAO!! ROFLMAO rabbit
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by laga on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

How much did it cost to "save" him from his overdose so we can execute him?
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:58 pm

laga wrote:How much did it cost to "save" him from his overdose so we can execute him?

thinking Me too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:23 pm

by mommyof3kids Today at 4:25 pm Reynolds was sentenced to die Tuesday for killing his neighbor in 1994. The status of his scheduled execution is now uncertain.
by BJ in OR Today at 1:33 pm His execution was moved to next Tuesday.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Back in prison and on suicide watch

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:29 am

Officials say an Ohio inmate who intentionally overdosed on pills hours before his scheduled execution has returned to prison and is on suicide watch.
Prisons spokeswoman Julie Walburn says 43-year-old Lawrence Reynolds Jr., who admitted taking an overdose of medication prescribed to him, arrived at the Ohio State Penitentiary in Youngstown shortly after noon on Tuesday.
Walburn says Reynolds is isolated from other inmates and under constant observation.
Reynolds was treated at a Youngstown hospital after he was found unconscious in his death row cell Sunday night.
The type of drug he used and why it was prescribed aren't being disclosed. How he accumulated the pills is under investigation.
Reynolds' execution for the 1994 murder of his neighbor near Akron has been rescheduled to next week.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:30 am

The governor calls it "ironic" that the state worked to keep Reynolds alive when he was scheduled to be executed, but Strickland says that's Ohio's obligation.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:34 am

by frogs Yesterday at 3:43 pm I don't get it. This guy was on death row. How did he get the pills? I think some guard or guards should be suspended and/or fired.
Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland says a death row inmate who survived an overdose of pills likely saved up medication that had been prescribed for him.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by frogs on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:47 pm

aaahhhh! That makes sense! Thanks for the follow-up!

(Okay, the guards can keep their jobs!)
frogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:13 pm

You're too funny, Frogs!!!! :lol!:

They should have just let him die from the overdose. Dead is DEAD - no matter how you slice it.

Ohio has an obligation to revive a man they will kill by lethal injection a week later?? It's things like this that make me go hmmmm. thinking

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Ohio executes inmate, Lawrence Reynolds Jr., 43, who killed neighbor in 1994

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:58 am

By MATT LEINGANG (AP) – 13 hours ago

LUCASVILLE, Ohio — A death row inmate who tried to kill himself last week by overdosing on pills as his legal challenges dried up was executed Tuesday for robbing and strangling his neighbor in 1994.

Lawrence Reynolds Jr., 43, was executed by lethal injection at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility nine days after prison guards found him unconscious in his cell.

Ernie Sanders, a spiritual adviser who met with Reynolds in prison, said Reynolds wanted to die alone, not in the state's death chamber.

"He just didn't want his last act of life to be what he considered to be a sideshow or a circus," Sanders said.

Reynolds became the fourth inmate to die by Ohio's new lethal injection procedure, which uses one drug instead of three. Like the others, his death came quickly.

Reynolds was convicted of killing Loretta Foster, a 67-year-old widow who baby-sat children in her neighborhood and lived three doors down from him in Cuyahoga Falls near Akron.

Prosecutors said Reynolds was an alcoholic who was out of work and needed money for booze. He forced his way into Foster's house, strangled her with rope and left with $40 in cash and a blank check from her purse.

"I came in like a lion and go out like a lamb," Reynolds said in a brief final statement while lying on the gurney.

Addressing two women he didn't identify, he said, "Erin and Emma will forever and always hold the heart of the lion."

Reynolds then addressed other inmates on death row and his unsuccessful legal challenge of Ohio's new execution method.

"To my brothers, I hope they will never have to walk these 15 steps I walked today," he said. "I have tried to bring attention to the futility and flagrantly flawed system we have today. Stop the madness."

In the witness room, Denise Turchiano, Foster's niece, replied, "It's going to stop right now."

Reynolds had sued the state, saying it hasn't corrected problems with accessing inmates' veins before the single drug is injected. He lost his final court battle Monday when the U.S. Supreme Court declined to intervene.

Prison officials have released few details about his suicide attempt. It's unclear if Reynolds had visitors before the overdose or stockpiled medication prescribed for him. Authorities have not identified the drug he took.

Reynolds' crime shattered the victim's family and tore apart his own.

Foster was like a grandmother to kids in the neighborhood and even baby-sat for Reynolds' three younger siblings. Reynolds had few family visits while in prison, and his parents wanted nothing to do with his request for clemency last summer.

Patty Solomon, Foster's granddaughter, said after the execution that justice had been served.

"It is time to put this behind us and move on with our lives," she said. "Our hearts are as broken today as they were 16 years ago."

Reynolds' childhood was marred by alcohol abuse, according to prison records. He graduated from high school and then spent six years in the Army. When he returned home, he couldn't hold down a job because of late-night drinking binges.

About a month before her murder, Foster hired Reynolds to paint her basement. Reynolds claimed he was promised $300 but only got $100, prosecutors said.

Reynolds harassed the widow for weeks — knocking on her door after dark, hiding outside and jumping out to scare her.

He went to the widow's house on Jan. 11, 1994, this time wearing camouflage clothing and carrying a wooden tent pole, which he used to beat Foster when she reached for a phone and tried to call for help, prosecutors said. Then he strangled her and removed her clothes.

At a bar later that night, Reynolds told a group of friends what happened. Unsure whether to believe him, the group went to Foster's house and saw her body lying on the floor. Two of the friends went to police.

Reynolds had expressed remorse for the killing while in prison, Sanders said.

"It was something he had done under the influence, as he said it, of 'ignorant oil'" Sanders said. "He wished that he had never done it."

At the trial, Reynolds' defense team didn't deny that Reynolds was responsible for the murder but attempted to show that he was drunk and had not gone to Foster's house intending to kill her.

He was convicted of aggravated murder, aggravated robbery and attempted rape.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum