Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Re: Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Post by Nama on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:40 am

I don't think a man with a missing wife should leave the area where she went missing either. Wouldn't an innocent person stay and continue to search, unless he knows that she's never coming back. It doesn't matter where he moves; LE is watching him like a hawk. There is no where for him to hide.

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:58 am

I remember when LE was watching Chris Coleman and they simply said he was a "person of interest". They Never said he was a "suspect."

They want Josh to stay calm and not try to bolt to never never land.

I have to say, i am still shocked he has not yet been arrested.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:40 am

Wrapitup wrote:

I have to say, i am still shocked he has not yet been arrested.

They have no evidence. Granted his alibi sound ridiculously fishy. However, they have no body. They cannot prove she didn't just take off in the middle of the night after he went on a camping trip in sub-zero weather with a two year old and a four year old nor can they prove someone didn't knock on the door when she was there alone and kidnap her when she answered the door.

If they find the body out near where he was supposedly camping, then they will have a body thus proof that she is dead found where he supposedly took his children camping in sub zero weather (yeah, right) and hopefully some dna evidence etc from the body....notice they didn't arrest Scott Peterson until the body washed up where he (his alibi) went boating.

They didn't arrest Chris Coleman until they found the discarded gloves, receipts for the spray paint, proof on the computers that he sent himself those so called threatening messages, a girlfriend who he promised to marry as soon as he "divorced" his wife and so on. If they hadn't found any of those things, I believe Chris Coleman would still be on the streets.

Let's hope they find some real, hard evidence regarding what happened to Susan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:39 am

With the guest and number of family members joining VH I want to post a link in our members only area in case Susan's parents might visit here. Their Daughter is missing and their Grandchildren moved 850 miles from them. That is just wrong.
In our members only area is the research on Grand Parents rights.
http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/for-members-only-f46/grand-parents-rights-t2349.htm#48096

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:50 pm

by lindamarie Today at 10:39 am Their Daughter is missing and their Grandchildren moved 850 miles from them. That is just wrong.
Both Susan's and Josh's parents live in WA.
Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, saw their son-in-law in Puyallup, Wash. on Sunday afternoon. Josh Powell, who has been staying with his father in Puyallup, brought his 2- and 4-year-old sons to the Cox home for a visit.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Joshua Powell expected to pack up home in Utah this week.

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:54 pm

By Melinda Rogers

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 01/06/2010 03:51:06 PM MST

As family and friends of missing West Valley City mother Susan Powell marked a somber milestone Wednesday, her husband, Joshua Powell, returned to Utah for the first time in weeks.

Joshua Powell since Christmas has been in his hometown of Puyallup, Wash., where his and Susan Powell's families live. He was expected to arrive in Utah on Wednesday to pack his belongings for a return to Washington, friends and a spokeswoman for Susan Powell's parents said.

Friends previously told The Tribune that Powell was fired from his job and has no income in the state.

A spokeswoman for Chuck and Judy Cox, the parents of Susan Powell, said the family was told Joshua Powell planned to return to Utah briefly this week.

Joshua Powell left the couple's two sons, Charlie, 4, and Braden, 2, with his father during his trip to Utah.

The Coxes are hopeful to continue seeing their grandsons, whom they last saw Sunday.

The Coxes are observing the month anniversary of Powell's disappearance by spreading the word through a social media blitz.

"We're doing everything we can to find her," spokeswoman Shelby Gifford said. "It's hard to believe it's been a month."

But she added, "The wait is agonizing. Every day feels like a year."

West Valley City Capt. Tom McLachlan said the media blitz did bring in several new comments and leads in the case.

"We are not at a standstill by any means," he said. "At this point, with the information we've
Advertisement
got and the resources we've got, we're feeling the situation will be resolved."

Gifford said the family hasn't learned any new information about Susan's disappearance from Joshua Powell. Chuck Cox's communication with his son-in-law has been "perfunctory," simply discussing subjects like when he would pick up the boys from Chuck's house.

Gifford said Chuck Cox has attempted to question his son-in-law about Susan's disappearance, but Joshua has avoided the topic.

The Powells' neighbors say they haven't spotted any activity at their home as of 12:30 p.m. Wednesday. A person who answered the door at Joshua Powell's mother's house in West Valley City didn't want to immediately comment on the anniversary of Susan Powell's disappearance.

Terrica Powell, Joshua's mother, hasn't yet publicly commented about her daughter-in-law's disappearance.

Steven Powell, Joshua's father who lives in Puyallup, told The Tribune last month he believes his son has been vilified in the case.

McLachlan said Powell's limited responses during police interviews have presented some challenges to the investigation.

"What we've tried to do is verify what he's told us in the limited interviews that he's given," McLachlan said. "Without his cooperation, it does seem a little bit at odds. It doesn't help move the investigation forward."

He said the department has not yet received results from forensic testing at the Powells' home. He said it generally takes four to eight weeks to receive results. He said Joshua Powell continues to be the only person of interest in the case, but he still has not been named a suspect.

McLachlan declined to comment on how the West Valley City police department is working with authorities in Pierce County, Wash, where Puyallup is located. However, Ed Troyer, a spokesman for the Pierce County Sheriff's Office, previously confirmed to The Tribune that their agency has been in contact with West Valley City police about the case.

Joshua Powell has told friends he plans to sell his West Valley City home because the loss of his job does not allow him to make the mortgage payments. McLachlan said Powell is "free to sell it if he wants to" and police are not concerned about the home sale. He said any potential evidence was gathered during searches of the home last month.

Kiirsi Hellewell, who has been instrumental in organizing campaigns to find the missing woman, said she's holding out hope Susan Powell will be found alive.

"We can't give up hope at all," she said. "It seems like a year, at least. Every day seems like an eternity."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If the mortgage is in both their names, is it legal for him to put the house on the market?

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Neighbor to Joshua Powell: 'I want my swing set back' Neighbor storms to West Valley City home upon hearing of impending move

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:24 pm

Neighbor to Joshua Powell: 'I want my swing set back'
Neighbor storms to West Valley City home upon hearing of impending move

By Melinda Rogers

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 01/06/2010 10:14:21 PM MST

West Valley City Emotions over a lack of resolution in the disappearance of Susan Powell led the missing mother's friend Tim Peterson to a boiling point Wednesday.

Peterson, a member of the same LDS church ward that the Powells attend, had tried to be supportive of Joshua Powell, who is the only person of interest named by police since Susan was reported missing a month ago.

But when Peterson heard news that Joshua Powell planned to sell his West Valley City house and pack his belongings for a permanent move to his hometown of Puyallup, Wash., Peterson grew angry and drove to the Powells' home Wednesday to retrieve a playground set he had given the family.

He arrived at the house around 4 p.m., parking his
truck at the end of the driveway before pounding on the door to search for Joshua Powell.

Instead, Joshua's brother, Michael Powell, answered the door. Peterson told Michael Powell he wanted to load up the playground set in his truck before Joshua Powell split town.

Michael Powell told Peterson to call Joshua Powell - who is in Utah but apparently wasn't home at the time of Peterson's visit - to get permission to remove the playground set. Peterson told Michael Powell that his brother won't take his phone calls.

"I said, this playground was for Susan and the kids and for their enjoyment. I said, she's not here anymore and you guys don't appear to be looking for her. So just in case you haven't noticed, Susan's gone," Peterson said of his conversation with Michael Powell.

"He just sat there and stared at me. He's acting just as quiet as his brother."

Peterson backed his truck into the Joshua Powell's backyard to load up the playground set, but the vehicle became stuck in ice and snow.

Michael Powell then called 911 and two West Valley City police officers responded to a complaint placed by Powell of trespassing by Peterson.

Michael Powell, who is visiting from Puyallup, declined to comment about the incident, but came out to tell a throng of reporters gathered at the scene that he intended for Peterson to be arrested for trespassing.

When police arrived, Peterson spoke with them briefly and left at the officers' request. An NBC camera man and freelance reporter volunteered to help tow Peterson's truck from the property.

Peterson said he's frustrated that Joshua Powell is going to live with his father to "hide" in a gated community in South Hill, an area near Puyallup.

He said he tried to be supportive of Joshua Powell initially, but thought the man's story of taking his children camping in winter weather at midnight the night Susan Powell disappeared didn't add up.

Joshua Powell dropped by the Peterson home two days after Susan Powell was reported missing. Peterson observed severe "wind burn" on the back of Joshua Powell's hands and watched as Joshua Powell kept applying lotion to them as they talked in Peterson's front room.

Peterson said his wife asked Joshua Powell about Susan's whereabouts and Powell replied "Well, it's not like I stabbed her."

"I couldn't believe he would make a comment like that," Peterson said.

Peterson previously told The Tribune he'd been involved in helping provide marriage counseling to Susan and Joshua Powell. He'd encouraged the woman to leave Joshua Powell, calling him "an energy suck." Susan Powell stopped seeing Peterson for counseling when he suggested divorce.

A clearly distraught Peterson said after Wednesday's playground set incident that he's frustrated Powell isn't stepping up to assist in the search for his wife.

"If he is supposed to be the head of the home and he is supposed to be taking care of his wife Susan, where is he?" Peterson questioned.

"He's one of my neighbors. He is somebody I went to church with. If he is the leader of his home, where is he? Why isn't he taking care of his family?

"He doesn't want to talk about his wife and the whole world wants to know where his wife is."

---------------
If Powell actually said to his neighbor, "It's not like I stabbed her", that is probably Exactly what he did.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:48 am

Wrapitup wrote: If Powell actually said to his neighbor, "It's not like I stabbed her", that is probably Exactly what he did.

Good point, Wrap! It is good to hear that this neighbor (Peterson) is speaking out & putting pressure on Josh. It sounds like he knows both Josh & Susan well, and if HE is suspicious of Josh... that is very telling. The whole situation with the swingset was most likely to make the point that he believes Josh is guilty of killing his wife, and I sympathize with him (Peterson) ... but, I don't think legally he has any grounds to take the swingset back. That was going a bit too far, I think.

Last edited by Rainbow on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had an extra word in a sentence)

Back to top Go down

Normal Susan Powell Case Continues to Baffle Police

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:11 am

Probably, but the friend and neighbor is really pissed off. I think he has had it with Josh since he has learned he will sell the house. I wonder, is the house in both of their names? If so, is it legal to sell it?

Here is another article. Nothing new but it really puts this case in perspective.

January 06, 2010

Susan Powell has been nearly a month since Susan Powell, a 28-year-old stockbroker and mother of two from West Valley City, Utah went missing. The mystery of her disappearance has since deepened, and authorities are now treating the case as a criminal investigation. Despite the most recent developments, one question remains…where is Susan Powell?

According to West Valley City Police, concerned family members contacted them on December 7, 2009, to report that they had not heard from the Powell family. Further investigation showed that Susan had failed to show up for her job at Wells Fargo Financial and her husband, Joshua Powell, 34, was reported absent from his job at a local trucking and warehousing company. The couple's two children, ages 2 and 4, were also unaccounted for by their daycare provider. Concerned that the family could have succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, police, accompanied by a family member, entered the Powell family home. No one was found inside; however, police did find Susan's purse and cell phone.

In a later interview with deseretnews.com, Susan's father, Chuck Cox, said that the family member who had accompanied police into the home noticed two fans, positioned on the living room floor, blowing on a wet spot. At this time, it remains unclear if the "wet spot" is connected to the case, as police are refusing to comment.

As the investigation continued, Joshua Powell showed up at his home on the evening of the 7th, along with the couple's two children. Powell said he had last seen his wife around midnight, when he left home with their two boys to go camping in Utah's western desert. It remains unclear why Powell chose that specific day to go camping, considering the high temperature that day was reported as 24 degrees – below freezing – by AccuWeather.com. Investigators attempted to verify the story by visiting the area in question; however, recent snowfall made it impossible to determine whether anyone had been there.

Joshua's explanation of his whereabouts has raised many eyebrows among Susan's friends and family members. During a press conference, family spokesperson Shelby Gifford said, "Susan ... would not have tolerated her children being taken out of the home after midnight to go camping in dangerously cold conditions."

Two days after Susan was reported missing, police confiscated the family’s van to search for evidence. During this time, police say Joshua went to the Salt Lake Airport and rented a car – a move that caught them by surprise.

"We were unaware that he had gotten a rental car and was on the move," West Valley City Police Captain Tom McLachlan said in an interview with wjbf.com.

Joshua reportedly drove the vehicle over 200 miles; however, police say the vehicle was not equipped with a GPS tracking device, and they are uncertain of his exact movements during that time period.

Joshua Powell

Police have served three search warrants in the case, including one to draw biological samples from Joshua Powell. The contents of the warrants are currently sealed by the court; however, The Salt Lake Tribune has filed a motion to have them opened. At this time, it remains unclear if that will happen.

In addition to the warrants, police have named Joshua Powell a "person of interest" in the case.

"As we investigate this missing person's case, we're interested in what Josh has to say. We believe he has information and details about Susan that no other person could have to help us locate her," West Valley City Assistant Police Chief Craig Black told KSL.com.

Increasing police pressure and media tension caused Joshua Powell's father, Steven Powell, to break his silence and speak out about the case. During a brief interview with The Salt Lake Tribune, the elder Powell said his son was being "vilified."

"The whole thing has just turned into a vilification of Josh and it will turn into a vilification of me, my ex-wife and my other kids," Powell said.

Further prompting from reporters caused Powell to clam up again, and he asked to be left alone.

"I don't need to explain anything," Powell said. "There is nothing to explain."

Josh Powell is now reportedly planning on leaving Utah and moving to his hometown of Puyallup, Washington, where he has been residing since Christmas. Authorities say they have no reason to prevent the move and that he is free to come and go as he pleases.

Meanwhile, Susan's friends and family members continue to raise awareness of her disappearance and have taken the search to the Internet – setting up pages on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.

"We're hoping today that by giving everybody so many different options to become involved online that we can actually make this go viral and people can see Susan's face and hear about her situation in every corner of the world," Gifford said in an interview Monday with Fox News.

According to McLachlan, the social networking media blitz has brought in several new leads; however, he has declined to comment on whether they are any closer to solving the case.

Susan Powell is described as a white female, 5'4", 130 lbs., with long brown hair and blue eyes. An $11,000 dollar reward is being offered for information that helps locate her. Anyone with information is asked to contact West Valley police at 801-840-4000.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:03 am

Susan Powell friends warning about scam; Media blitz final day
Reported by: Brandy Vega
Email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Last Update: 1/06 7:52 am
Susan Powell friends warning about scam; Media blitz final day
Susan Powell (ABC 4 News)
Slideshow
Susan Powell (ABC 4 News)
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC 4 NEWS) - A new warning on facebook from friends and family of Susan Powell who same some are trying to profit off of Susan's disappearance and the third and final full day of the social media blitz.

Here's the facebook post.
Kiirsi Branham Hellewell ATTENTION ALL:
It has come to our attention that some people are trying to "make money off of" Susan's name and story. PLEASE do not fall for this scam...any Cafe Press t-shirts or any other place selling things about Susan is NOT endorsed by Susan's family. If they ever decide to sell something for a fundraising pur...pose, we will tell you directly and make it a Discussion topic. Thank you for your vigilance in watching out for these things!

Family and friends say they have been absolutely amazed by the outpouring of love and support that the social media blitz has generated. Here are the latest numbers as of Wednesday morning.

There are now over 33-thousand friends on Susan's facebook page. That's an increase of 20-thousand from Monday.

On 'find susan' at Twitter there are nearly 1000-followers.

And on YouTube, there are dozens of videos right now circulating with thousands of hits.

Additionally ABC 4 is hearing from JoVanna Owing the last person besides Josh Powell to see Susan alive, that Josh is planning on coming back to Utah, packing up and moving to Washington for good. That's a move that Susan's friends and family aren't happy about.

Owing says, "I would really like him to sit down and fully cooperate with the authorities and answer questions completely and it's sad he hasn't done that."

West Valley Police say that the media blitz is generating some leads and they are following up on them. However, Josh Powell continues to be the only "person of interest" in the disappearance.

Here is some information f you want to get involved in the social media blitz

facebook page: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
posters/fliers: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
twitter: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (@findsusan)
twitter hashtag: #findsusan
youtube: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by adelacruz on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 am

i'm a big fan of Eyes for Lies.. here is her take on Josh

Many of you have written to me and asked me to review the video of Josh Powell. The police have named him a person of interest in the disappearance of his wife, Susan, and they say he has not been cooperative with them. I think most people see that Josh's behavior is definitely abnormal and I do not disagree. Josh, if you want my opinion, knows more than he is telling us. He couldn't look more like a deer caught in headlights than he does here in this interview. He is constantly thinking before he speaks, doesn't answer questions directly, and he shows little to no concern for his wife at all.

Read moreHere are my thoughts when I watch the video:

When the interview first starts and the reporter asks Josh how he is doing, I find it interesting how Josh has to think about it before he answers the question. He says after a pause, "Um.... well, I've been trying to figure out....what I can do so I don't sit idle...." Does this make any sense? If your wife disappeared and you didn't know what happened to her, would you worry about occupying your time so you don't "sit idle"?

Now imagine the flip side, that you do know what happened to your wife and it was haunting you, would idol time be a big concern? Josh's choice of words here is haunting to me. I also find it interesting how he talks about dealing with "this", presumably talking to the media, repeatedly. It is obviously annoying for him to talk to reporters. If he knows nothing about his wife disappearance, I would think he would welcome continued exposure to help find her, wouldn't you?

I find it strange how Josh says, "I was just going to go in and get my kids...because..... you know....they're family." He clearly is not an expert at thinking on his feet and is not well versed at doing this and it shows. Many of his statements make little to no sense. He is having trouble connecting basic thoughts.

The reporter asks Josh again, "How are you doing..." and Josh answers with, "You know people have been really... helpful and supportive, so .....its been........it's been really hard, but.... you know, you just keep going..." Notice how Josh doesn't answer the question? I also noticed how Josh's thought changes in the middle of this sentence. It's as if a vision in his mind's eye changed his thought process. He was starting to say one thing (that people are helpful), but he changes it to how difficult it has been. More than that, it looks like he keeps making contempt and disgust expressions, doesn't it? He has a personality that may do this naturally, so I can't be sure. I'd like to see more footage of him to see if this is case specific or natural for him.

The reporter asks Josh to tell him what happened that night. Do you notice that Josh doesn't answer the question directly? Instead he says, "Yeah, a....just a lot of times I just go camping with my boys..." Josh doesn't provide any details of that night whatsoever. Instead, he talks about what they usually do--not what they did. This does not support honesty.

And what information we do get from Josh makes absolutely no sense. What father takes two children under five out camping after 10 PM on a sub-freezing night? Its ridiculous, and obviously points to some sort of cover-up.

When Josh says, "I just went.... with the boys..." the pauses are indicative that he is thinking on his feet--not speaking from his memories. I also see more contempt on his face again. It's subtle, but it seems like every time he thinks of key times during that night, he feels this emotion.

The reporter asks Josh, why he didn't call in sick and Josh responds, "...You know... I didn't, ah........I was somehow thinking it was Sunday. I didn't go to church and ...I just missed a day and I thought we'll go and come back Sunday."

Is anyone buying this? Has this happened to any of you who are married with children? Have you missed a Monday at work because you lost track of time??

When the reporter asks Josh if he has any idea of where his wife could be, watch how he swallows awkwardly as he shakes his head no. People often salivate when they are nervous and uncomfortable. Why would he be nervous if he had nothing to hide?

I just keep seeing this surreal look on Josh's face, like a "deer in headlights" look over and over again. Its a highly unusual look like he is bewildered he is where he is right now...

The reporter talks about how the husband is often the first person looked at in cases like this. Josh says, "I, um, didn't do anything.....I don't know where she is at....I don't even know where to start looking." Josh comes across as robotic here to me. He has no emotions whatsoever, which is very notable considering he is married to Susan.

The reporter ask Josh, what do you tell the boys about their mom? Before Josh speaks, watch how he awkwardly swallows again and how he makes a very distressed facial expression. Obviously this question makes him very uncomfortable. Josh then says, "By the time it all started, I'd...I was already....ah....I was already late and...went to bed and its been hectic ever since." What is he talking about? Does this make any sense?

"Hectic"? If you wife was missing, would "hectic" be the word that comes to mind?

Josh does not think quickly on his feet. That's for sure. With that, I suspect he was not a pathological liar. He really struggles at this... It makes me wonder if he lost his temper at some point and something horrible happened. That reminds me that I read that there was a wet spot found on the carpet. If this is true, its incredibly ominous...

When the reporter ask Josh what time his wife went to bed, he just says, "She just went to bed that night." He doesn't give us any details again. He deflects the question with a generic statement. I suspect, sadly, that she never went to bed and that is why he doesn't have an answer.

The reporter says, "And what time did you go camping, would you say?" Josh says, "Um...I...you know, I got out to a pretty late start."

The reporter says, "Nine-ish?"

Josh says, "No it was later." Notice Josh doesn't have any time frame for reference because he wasn't paying attention to the clock. This is supportive he didn't "plan" to go camping. If you plan to go camping with little kids, you are aware definitely aware of the time. Kids get cranky without sleep.

Josh says, "Basically......um......I'm just trying to .....figure out what I can do...and (head shake yes--as if he is confirming what he said to himself) and both try to find her and...try to.....take care of (shoulder shrug) life in general (positive self-affirmation again -- indicative of someone thinking on their feet, not telling us what they know is true)."

Clearly Josh is not telling us his true thoughts, if you want my opinion. He is trying to deflect, but he is horrible at it!

The reporter continues, "Where did you guys camp?"

Josh replies, "Um....we went down south to the...(looks around)...to some trails down there."

The reporter questions, "To the Moab area?"

Josh says, "No, no...uh, we actually just went down to ...the.... Pony Express (self-affirmation again)."

The reporter says, "They actually have campgrounds down there?" and Josh thinks for a second and says, "Ah....I guess there is a few." He guesses? Wasn't he saying he was just there? If he was, he wouldn't have to guess would he??

Last edited by adelacruz on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : better link)
adelacruz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:22 am

That was interesting, Adelacruz! I just watched the actual interview for the first time, and I agree with "Eyes for Lies" - he came across as very suspicious! It sounded like he was trying to make up an alibi as he was being interviewed... very strange. To be fair, he was caught off guard and wasn't prepared - but still, what he was saying didn't make any sense. Definitely NOT a good liar! He should take tips from Casey on how to sound convincing. :lol!:

Back to top Go down

Post by adelacruz on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:40 am

lol.. i haven't seen the video. i'm just so surprised they haven't arrested him yet! if we as regular people can see that he's lying i'm not sure why can't LE see that too
adelacruz

Back to top Go down

Normal Josh Powell is packing up the family's belongings and preparing to move out of state while ducking questions from police and the public.

Post by Nama on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Family and friends of missing Utah mother Susan Powell say they are floored that her husband is packing up the family's belongings and preparing to move out of state while ducking questions from police and the public.

Susan Powell's husband, a person of interest in the case, is relocating.
Joshua Powell has been named a person of interest in the Dec. 6 disappearance of his wife but police say there is nothing they can do to prevent his relocating about 800 miles away in Washington state.

"Josh has been free to come and go," West Valley City Assistant Police Chief Craig Clack told ABC News. "And we're still waiting for Josh to cooperate with us and talk with us."

Powell's family told "Good Morning America" that he has packed up the house he shared with his wife and two young sons and, they believe, will soon put it up for sale.

"We'd like to see him here helping out with Susan's search," Joshua Powell's brother-in-law, Kirk Graves, said. "But he's not."

Emotions surrounding Susan Powell's disappearance and her husband's apparent lack of cooperation are running high in the close-knit Mormon community.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilone on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:03 pm

They still have the firing squad in Utah, don't they?
Lilone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Lilone wrote:They still have the firing squad in Utah, don't they?

ha ha I wish.
This has been going on so long now. I feel so bad for Susan's Parents. They lost their Daughter and two Grandson's. I created a category for Susan here.
http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/missing-adults-f32/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilone on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:03 pm

I looked it up. Only if a convict requested the firing squad before 2004, and is still on death row, will it be used as a method of execution. So it wouldn't apply in this case... Apparently, OK is the only remaining state that allows the firing squad.
Lilone

Back to top Go down

Normal Josh's relationship with his sister is strained right now

Post by Nama on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Josh Powell's sister says she is not surprised he is moving back to their home state of Washington, but she is disappointed.

Virginia Graves says Josh should not be moving to Washington. "I think he'd be better off staying here [in Utah]," she told NBC's "Today" show Friday. She says she has gone to help Josh pack, but it hasn't been easy.

"The relationship is strained right now," she said.

It's been one month since Josh's wife Susan disappeared, yet Graves still has hope. She said, "I would like everyone to continue to keep looking."

In Friday's interview, she said she's not sure how the couple's two boys are holding up. They are in Washington with their grandfather.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by laga on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Lilone wrote:I looked it up. Only if a convict requested the firing squad before 2004, and is still on death row, will it be used as a method of execution. So it wouldn't apply in this case... Apparently, OK is the only remaining state that allows the firing squad.

I did not know this, very interesting...from reading another thread about remarks made by a certain dp defense atty, FL has the "burn at the stake" option. tongue-in-cheek emoticon here.
laga

Back to top Go down

Normal Gary Gilmore/ The Executioner's Song by Mailer Norman (worth reading)

Post by Nama on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Gary Gilmore was executed by firing squad January 17, 1977, at 8:07 a.m. The night before, Gilmore had requested an all-night gathering of friends and family at the prison mess hall. On the evening before his execution, he was served a last meal consisting of a steak, potatoes, milk and coffee, of which he consumed only the milk and coffee. His uncle, Vern Damico, who attended the gathering later claimed to have secretly smuggled in three small Jack Daniels one-ounce whisky shot bottles for Gilmore which he supposedly consumed. He was then taken to an abandoned cannery behind the prison which served as the prison's death house. He was strapped to a chair, with a wall of sandbags placed behind him to absorb the bullets. Five gunmen, local police, stood concealed behind a curtain with five small holes cut for them to place their rifles through which were aimed at him. After being asked for any last words, Gilmore simply replied, "Let's do it!" The Rev. Thomas Meersman, the Roman Catholic prison chaplain, imparted Gilmore's last rites. After the prison physician cloaked him in a black hood, Gilmore uttered his last words to Father Meersman:

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 pm

laga wrote:
Lilone wrote:I looked it up. Only if a convict requested the firing squad before 2004, and is still on death row, will it be used as a method of execution. So it wouldn't apply in this case... Apparently, OK is the only remaining state that allows the firing squad.

I did not know this, very interesting...from reading another thread about remarks made by a certain dp defense atty, FL has the "burn at the stake" option. tongue-in-cheek emoticon here.
:tongue in chee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:10 pm

The thought of death by firing squad is affraid
so is :hang : people until their dead. So old school and inhumane.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:41 pm

So the two little boys are up in Washington with their grandfather (where is the grandmother) while Josh packs up his home in Utah from which his wife is missing??? Can you sell a home if one of the homeowners are missing? Can you make payments and keep the lights on if you have no job.

I donno but I think Susan Powells family has been "nice" long enough. Time to take custody of those little boys or at least get some visitation.

He has not been charged but why does he get to set all the rules. I am sure they are giving him plenty of rope to hang himself but darn those little boys lost their mother and now their grandparents and Susans whole family?

Something is wrong.
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:37 am

Thanks for posting those pictures of Susan, Lindamarie. She looks like a beautiful person, and a loving mother... hard to imagine that her husband most likely killed her. It brings back sad memories of Lacy Peterson, and her smiling face... all too tragically taken away by her self-centered husband.

I hope & pray that very soon Susan will re-appear (if she is still alive), or that her body will be found. Unfortunately, that may not happen until the spring.

Last edited by Rainbow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Took out an extra word)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:18 am

Your welcome Rainbow. I agree Susan was beautiful inside and out. I want to know that to how the house can be sold when one of the owners is missing. To me that says a lot. Josh knows she is not coming back. But how can he legally do that?

Back to top Go down

Normal Josh Powell's sister tells ABC4 she's frustrated with Josh's decision to move

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:34 am

Josh Powell is packing up and moving to Washington. His sister tells ABC4 she's frustrated that Josh is leaving town, this time, for good.

Kirk and Jennifer Graves say they've been over at Josh's for the last two nights to help him pack up. They say as of late they have a strained relationship with josh and they don't support his move. Jennifer says, “We'd like him to step up a little bit more, and he's not, so it leaves us carrying the weight.” The Graves say they don't understand why Josh feels he must bare the burden alone. Kirk says, “Family is always family, and it never stops being family, but that doesn't mean you don't wish family would do things differently some time.”

Namely, they wish Josh wasn't moving back to Washington. Jennifer says, “We're disappointed that he's moving. We don't want him to. We think he would be better off staying here and participating in the search.”

They say they believe Josh's silence is actually hurting the investigation. Kirk says, “I think josh has done a lot to make himself look bad. I think that the media has correctly portrayed what he's been doing. Josh's sister says she doesn't understand why Josh shies away from the media. She says, “Staying away from the media, I think, has been a bad thing...he shouldn't have done that.”

The Graves say they've spent the last couple nights with Josh and they've noticed atypical behavior. Kirk says, “He's not really normal Josh right now, take that as you will.”

Jennifer says she finds it hard to act like herself lately. She misses her sister in law, and good friend Susan, and she says she's worried for her nephews. She says, “They've been able to spend some time with Chuck, and we're grateful for that, to keep a little continuity in their lives.”

Josh has asked his ward, the Hunter 36th Ward in West Valley, for their help in moving Josh out of his home. Anyone who wants to help is supposed to meet there tomorrow at 10-am. By the way, both Keith and Jennifer Graves say they will be there to help.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:39 am

Linda Marie, Thanks for creating this thread just for Susan. And, also for the pictures of her. She doesn't deserve this.

I am also surprised about a firing squad still being legal in one State. IMHO, it may be inhumane, but so are the criminals who have committed some of the horrific crimes.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Friends turn out to help Joshua Powell move from Utah West Valley City » He's selling the home he shared with his missing wife and is moving to his native Washington.

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:12 pm

By Melinda Rogers

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 01/09/2010 08:45:55 PM MST

Between 10 and 15 people arrived to help with the move, and began putting boxes into the truck shortly after 9 a.m.

Several said they wanted to help Joshua Powell despite questions surrounding the disappearance of his wife, Susan, just over one month ago. Joshua Powell is the only person of interest investigators have identified in his wife's case so far, and police have criticized him for not being more cooperative with their investigation. He has not been named as a suspect.

Ron Stagg, who lives a few houses from the Powells, said he came Saturday because Joshua Powell needed help. "Regardless of who is responsible for Susan's disappearance, Josh is really hurting," Stagg said. "I don't know if it was him or someone else [who was involved in Susan Powell's disappearance], but he still needs help."

Stagg said he hasn't spoken with Joshua Powell extensively about his plans to move and sell the couple's home, but doesn't fault him for leaving. Friends have said Powell has been fired from his job as a computer programmer for a trucking and warehousing company and may be financially unable to keep the home.

"I don't know that he had any choice," Stagg said.

Stagg also said Saturday
Advertisement
may be the last day friends from the Powell's Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ward have the chance to see him. "It's a chance to say goodbye to a friend," he said.

Another member of the couple's Hunter 36th Ward, John Dabel, said church members often help neighbors pack up to move. Dabel said he is a little surprised Joshua Powell is leaving town when his wife is still missing. When asked whether he might do the same, Dabel said he didn't think he would.

"...but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt," Dabel said. "The biggest thing is nobody knows. We really still don't know if anything happened."

When asked by reporters if he wanted to say anything before he briefly left his home in a blue Chevrolet Tahoe around noon, Joshua Powell replied "no."

John Hellewell, whose wife, Kiirsi, is Susan Powell's best friend in Utah, said Joshua Powell hasn't shared with friends what his specific plans are once he returns to Washington.

"He told me he will take any job he can get," Hellewell said. "There's no one around here that will hire him."

Thursday marked one month since Susan Powell was reported missing. Police have said they are still awaiting state crime lab reports on DNA tests and fiber evidence taken from the Powell home. Last month, police took fingerprint evidence off the front door of the home and collected several items, including a bedspread and a carpet cleaner, according to neighbors.

Investigators have confirmed they found a large wet spot in the home with fans aimed at it to dry on the day Susan Powell was reported missing. Police have said they subpoenaed the couple's phone records, but have declined to say whether they have reviewed a journal that sources told The Salt Lake Tribune Susan Powell wrote at her workplace.

According to police, Joshua Powell told them he last saw his wife in the early morning of Dec. 7, when he took their two young sons, ages two and four, camping in the snowy west desert. He has refused to speak in further detail with investigators who want him to take them to the exact spot he went camping, according to a police spokesman.

Following her disappearance, friends and family of Susan Powell told The Tribune the couple were having marital difficulties and were undergoing counseling. Court records show the couple had declared bankruptcy and sources have said Susan Powell had been thinking of leaving her husband.

John Hellewell said he understands why Joshua Powell wants to leave the home.

"I think it would be hard to stay in a house with all the memories, whether he did it [was involved with Susan Powell's disappearance] or not," Hellewell said.

Supporters of Susan Powell have been wearing purple ribbons. Kiirsi Hellewell was having a ribbon-making gathering Saturday with members of the Powell's ward. John Hellewell said friends of Susan Powell want to continue to raise awareness about her disappearance.

Kiirsi Hellewell and Jennifer Powell, Joshua Powell's sister, were among a group of family and friends who helped pack up Susan Powell's things Friday night.

"It was very, very hard. Every item I packed up, I could see her wearing it," Kiirsi Hellewell said.

Jennifer Graves told ABC 4 News she and her husband, Kirk, are disappointed Joshua Powell is moving. Jennifer Graves told the station she feels her brother would be "better off staying here and participating in the search."

Kirk Graves told ABC he thinks Joshua Powell's avoidance of the media has made him look bad.

Kiirsi Hellewell said she and others working to find Susan Powell are trying to plan a fundraiser in coming weeks.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Josh Powell prepares to leave Utah for good

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:31 pm

January 7th, 2010 @ 12:00pm
By Shara Park

WEST VALLEY CITY -- After spending weeks in Washington with his family, the husband of Susan Powell returned to Utah to pack up and move out of the state for good.

West Valley City police say Powell has the right to move out of the state because he is not a suspect in his wife's disappearance.

"Legally he has that freedom of movement," said Capt. Tom McLachlan with the West Valley City Police Department.

Friends and neighbors who have been searching for Susan Powell say her husband's decision to leave the home where she was last seen is frustrating. Neighbors say Josh's decision to move to Washington is a little unexpected.
Susan Powell has been missing for a month

Police say the move doesn't really affect their investigation because he's been uncooperative the whole time.

"Whether he's up there and not talking to us, or down here not talking to us, it really doesn't make that much difference," McLachlan says.

It's been exactly one month since the disappearance of 28-year-old Susan Powell, and police say they still have yet to formally talk to the one person who saw her last.

"We would love to talk to Joshua, and we would love to verify what he has initially told us, but he has removed himself from our ability to do that," says McLachlan.
Josh Powell's brother helped Powell move things out of the West Valley City home he shared with Susan

Josh Powell has been called the only person of interest in his wife's disappearance, but police say that doesn't mean he is required to stay in Utah. Close to three weeks ago he took his two boys to Washington state to stay with his dad for the holidays, but has now decided to make that permanent.

"I was really surprised because that's his wife," says neighbor Betty Trujillo.

Trujillo doesn't agree with Josh's decision to move. As one who has been searching for Susan, she feels he should be doing the same.

"You would think he would be out there searching for her and waiting for her to come home," Trujillo says. "If anything you're going to be there for her and with him leaving that's surprising to me."

Trujillo watched as Josh returned to his West Valley City home Wednesday. She says he and his brother pulled into his garage and shut the door. She says his brother finally emerged from the house later that afternoon, when Tim Peterson showed up to remove a swing set from the backyard.

"He's not looking for his wife. That much I know," Peterson told KSL Wednesday. "I just want to make sure I get my playground, OK, so I can give it to someone else in the ward."

Peterson did not get the swing set back. Powell's brother called police and reported he was trespassing.

Josh's presence back in the neighborhood is another reminder to neighbors that Susan is still out there. Trujillo says even though it's been a month, her disappearance is still fresh in her mind.

"To me it does, I think it's going to be until we find her," she says.

Police say the recent media blitz to help find Susan has resulted in dozens of calls. They wouldn't say whether or not any of them were credible leads into her disappearance, but they did say they still have several tips to follow up on.

Josh Powell prepares to leave Utah for good
January 7th, 2010 @ 12:00pm
By Shara Park

WEST VALLEY CITY -- After spending weeks in Washington with his family, the husband of Susan Powell returned to Utah to pack up and move out of the state for good.

West Valley City police say Powell has the right to move out of the state because he is not a suspect in his wife's disappearance.

"Legally he has that freedom of movement," said Capt. Tom McLachlan with the West Valley City Police Department.

Friends and neighbors who have been searching for Susan Powell say her husband's decision to leave the home where she was last seen is frustrating. Neighbors say Josh's decision to move to Washington is a little unexpected.
Susan Powell has been missing for a month

Police say the move doesn't really affect their investigation because he's been uncooperative the whole time.

"Whether he's up there and not talking to us, or down here not talking to us, it really doesn't make that much difference," McLachlan says.

It's been exactly one month since the disappearance of 28-year-old Susan Powell, and police say they still have yet to formally talk to the one person who saw her last.

"We would love to talk to Joshua, and we would love to verify what he has initially told us, but he has removed himself from our ability to do that," says McLachlan.
Josh Powell's brother helped Powell move things out of the West Valley City home he shared with Susan

Josh Powell has been called the only person of interest in his wife's disappearance, but police say that doesn't mean he is required to stay in Utah. Close to three weeks ago he took his two boys to Washington state to stay with his dad for the holidays, but has now decided to make that permanent.

"I was really surprised because that's his wife," says neighbor Betty Trujillo.

Trujillo doesn't agree with Josh's decision to move. As one who has been searching for Susan, she feels he should be doing the same.

"You would think he would be out there searching for her and waiting for her to come home," Trujillo says. "If anything you're going to be there for her and with him leaving that's surprising to me."

Trujillo watched as Josh returned to his West Valley City home Wednesday. She says he and his brother pulled into his garage and shut the door. She says his brother finally emerged from the house later that afternoon, when Tim Peterson showed up to remove a swing set from the backyard.

"He's not looking for his wife. That much I know," Peterson told KSL Wednesday. "I just want to make sure I get my playground, OK, so I can give it to someone else in the ward."

Peterson did not get the swing set back. Powell's brother called police and reported he was trespassing.

Josh's presence back in the neighborhood is another reminder to neighbors that Susan is still out there. Trujillo says even though it's been a month, her disappearance is still fresh in her mind.

"To me it does, I think it's going to be until we find her," she says.

Police say the recent media blitz to help find Susan has resulted in dozens of calls. They wouldn't say whether or not any of them were credible leads into her disappearance, but they did say they still have several tips to follow up on.

Very good video here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:43 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Josh ready to leave Utah

Post by Nama on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

Josh Powell and friends finished two days of packing for his trip back to his home state of Washington. Powell had the help of almost 12 volunteers Saturday, and just a handful of family and friends Sunday.
As late as Sunday night, Powel’s van and a trailer were packed up. But, the question is when he will leave. Powel’s two sons, ages 2 and 4, have already made the move to Washington State.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:32 am

If his sons are already in Washington, Josh needs to drive himself and the Uhaul over a cliff.

He can even call the local news media and do it just like in "Thelma and Louise". affraid

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:31 pm

How far away is this Washington he is moving too? Does that mean Susans family are out in the cold as far as seeing those boys and checking up on their welfare. Personally I believe they have been "too nice" for too long. I wonder if there is something more going on???
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Juanita on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:13 am

shame on all his neighbors for helping him move. whether he did it or not, leaving town is a cowards way out. he should stay and face the music. his wife is missing, dont you think he would want to stay and look for her too?
Juanita

http://janiesuper.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:45 am

The father of Susan Powell, a missing West Valley City woman, told followers of a Facebook page that police recently have received results on some forensic evidence in the case.
Chuck Cox posted on the Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook page that some, but not all, forensic evidence is in, but added that police won't comment on any specifics as "it could impact the ongoing investigation."
Several calls to the West Valley City Police Department went unreturned Friday night.
On the Facebook page, Cox wrote that although the missing 28-year-old woman's husband, Josh Powell, has moved to Washington with his two young sons, the West Valley City Police Department is still hard at work.
"If anything, it provides more determination and more law enforcement officers, because we have law enforcement in Washington State also," Cox wrote.
However, there's "still no cooperation or help from Josh [Powell]" he wrote.
Cox asked people to continue to pray for his daughter.
"We are still confident that Susan will be found, and very hopeful that she will be found alive," he wrote. "Make sure that people know she is still missing and make sure no one gives up hope."

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:48 am

by jeanne1807 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:31 pm How far away is this Washington he is moving too? Does that mean Susans family are out in the cold as far as seeing those boys and checking up on their welfare.
Both Susan's and Josh's parents are in WA. Susan and Josh were living in Utah away from their families.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtle on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:00 pm

Waterboard list:
Josh Powell
Casey Anthony and family
Misty Croslin
and many more
Turtle

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:54 am

Watching Josh Powell is like watching a movie with the whole thing turned to slow motion. I think the neighbor that counseled them had it right. He was an energy drainer. How could Susan keep on keeping on?
I think she wanted a two parent home for her boys. Something a lot of women just walk, no run, away from. She did everything right and now we have no idea where she is. Did he murder her? Did she take off with somebody? In my heart of hearts I don't see her with family and friend support leaving her boys.
I truly believe that while that friend was there visiting Josh dropped something in her tea and that is why she went to bed at that early hour. She was drugged. I think the friend left and Josh loaded her into the van and off the four of them went.
The stain on the carpet puzzles me. In all of that why would he worry about a stain?
Also I am wondering "gated community" where Josh's family lives. Are they wealthy? If yes then he is running to poppa where everything will be paid and he will feather his nest.
Where is Susan Powell?
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:55 am

One last thought. He appears slow witted and stumble bumble but did he pull off "the perfect crime"?
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:58 am

Love your above comment, Jeanne. "Slow-witted", yet his friends said he talked up a storm, never shut up until this happened.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Facebook deletes page discussing Susan Powell after complaints

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:50 pm

By Nate Carlisle

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 01/18/2010 08:34:57 PM MST

Facebook has deleted a page discussing Susan Powell that reportedly drew complaints.

The social networking Web site notified the page's creator, Leslie Bleak, on Thursday the page was deleted, according to a posting on Bleak's personal Facebook page.

A Facebook spokeswoman on Monday said, due to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, she was unable to investigate why the page was removed. Facebook's terms of use warns content can be removed if it violates copyrights, other laws or the "spirit" of its terms.

Bleak's page was titled "Susan Powell" and had about 6,000 members. Many of the postings on the page accused Powell's husband, Joshua Powell, of having a role in the disappearance or implored him to cooperate in the police investigation.

Bleak, who was unavailable for comment Monday, told The Salt Lake Tribune last month she started the page because she did not like the speech restrictions on a page started by Susan Powell's family. Bleak has said she received angry messages from people asking her to remove or edit her page.

In one episode that played on Bleak's page, a member of the Destiny Search Project accused Bleak of violating the project's copyright when Bleak posted a missing person's flier. Bleak removed the flier.

Susan Powell's family established a Facebook page shortly after her disappearance titled "Friends and Family of Susan Powell." It had 42,790 members as of Monday afternoon. Its administrators
have been vigilant in deleting posts speculating why the 28-year-old wife and mother went missing or who may have been involved in her disappearance.

Shelby Gifford, a friend and spokeswoman for Susan Powell's parents, said Monday the family did not complain to Facebook about Bleak's page.

In recent weeks, both Susan Powell pages deleted posts by one or more people who made sexually explicit comments about the missing woman and posted pornographic pictures.

The deletion of the smaller Susan Powell page is the latest chapter in a missing persons search that has been largely virtual. With no geographical area to explore, Susan Powell supporters have turned to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to raise awareness about the case.

Gifford said Susan Powell's family is considering another social media blitz to raise awareness of her case. Gifford said a decision should be made Wednesday.

Claudette Artwick, an associate professor in the department of journalism and mass communications at Washington and Lee University, has been following the use of social media in the Susan Powell case. She was surprised Facebook would delete a 6,000-member page and said it might be counterproductive.

"Keeping Susan Powell in the eyes of as many people as possible is the goal here," Artwick said. "I'm not a police expert, but I know that if more people are aware she's missing and looking for her, it's more likely she will be found."

Artwick said opposition to Bleak's Facebook page points to a conflict between wanting to disseminate information about Susan Powell's disappearance while controlling that information. Artwick, who also is tracking a social media campaign to find a Virginia woman who went missing after a Metallica concert, said those are issues police, advocates and academics will address as social media advances.

"We're learning every day, and I'm really hoping that we see success and these young women are found alive," Artwick said.

Since Bleak's page was deleted, another page titled "susan powell part 2" has been created. It had 50 members as of Monday afternoon.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Susan's son has a birthday

Post by Nama on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:54 pm

His mother is not around to celebrate with him, but Susan Powell's oldest son, Charlie, turned 5 years old on Tuesday.
A Facebook page dedicated to Susan Powell was filled with birthday wishes for Charlie on Tuesday. Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, are trying to arrange a time this weekend for Charlie to come to their home for a birthday party, said Shelby Gifford, a friend of and spokeswoman for the Coxes.
Charlie and his 2-year-old brother, Braden, are in Washington with their father, Joshua Powell. Joshua Powell turns 34 years old on Wednesday.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Let's arrest him on his birthday!
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Normal Neighbors decorate Susan Powell's house to keep attention on case

Post by Nama on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Dozens of purple ribbons, hearts and signs tacked to the side of missing West Valley City mother Susan Powell's house on Wednesday screamed out a message the 28-year-old woman's friends and family fear is fading as each day passes without any new information about the woman's whereabouts.
"We will find you!" a poster scrawled with a purple marker read. "We will bring you home," states another. Purple ribbons adorned to sticks were stuck into the ground in the woman's front yard as her friends continued to tie purple streamers around the bushes at her house.
The effort, organized by Powell's best friend Kiirsi Hellewell and other neighbors, was designed to bring renewed attention to the case of Powell, who has now been reported missing for 52 days.
"The motivation is to make sure the [public] knows Susan is still missing," said Kirk Graves, Powell's brother-in-law, noting he's hopeful the decorations on the Powell home will prompt anyone with information about her to contact police with potential leads.
"This is as much as we can do," he said.
Susan Powell's husband, Joshua Powell, remains the only person of interest publicly named by police in the case. He took his two young children and moved to Washington state to live with his father earlier this month. Friends of the couple have previously said Joshua Powell plans to put his home on the real estate market, but
Advertisement

it had not been listed as of Wednesday.
Graves said he and his wife, Jennifer, Joshua Powell's sister, traveled to Puyallup, Wash., over the weekend to visit with Joshua Powell. He said he can't comment about whether Joshua Powell spoke about the case or the efforts to find his missing wife during their encounter.
Kirk and Jennifer Graves said they had a chance to see their two nephews, ages 5 and 3, and had dinner and played games with the boys, who appear to be doing well. They also visited with Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, who also live in Puyallup.
The Graves said it has been difficult as time continues to pass with no sign of Susan, but they are optimistic the police will make a breakthrough in the case.
"We're getting by. Life has kind of been put on pause. It's going to be awhile before we're capable of going back to normal," Jennifer Graves said. She said she and her husband wish Joshua Powell would put more effort into finding his wife and that he has spoken little to them since she was reported missing Dec. 7.
West Valley City police say the case is moving along but they are not able to comment about specifics, including results of forensic testing conducted on the Powell home.
"The detectives are still doing a lot of follow-up. We still are getting information and contacts. Some credible and some totally not credible. We check them all out," West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan said Wednesday.
Shelby Gifford, a spokeswoman for Susan Powell's parents in Washington, said the family is touched by the efforts of Susan's Utah friends and enjoyed their recent visit with the Graveses.
She said the family continues to hold out hope Susan will be found.
"Waiting is difficult. We have the support of thousands of people, including family and friends, and we continue to hope that we will find Susan. We believe in miracles. We speak regularly with investigators and know they continue to investigate this case thoroughly," Gifford said.
Hellewell said friends of Susan Powell will continue with campaigns to bring awareness to her disappearance.
Hellewell is helping to plan a fundraiser and also a "Week of Service" from Feb. 8 through Feb. 15 in Susan Powell's honor. The "Week of Service" will be targeted at the arts and crafts community because Susan Powell loved to crochet and was known for giving homemade baby blankets and hats to friends, Hellewell said. Donations will be given to domestic violence shelters, she said.
In the process, the event will keep Susan Powell's name in the public sphere.
"We are not going to stop until we get her back," Hellewell said.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal sister-in-law, Jennifer Graves disappointed and do not believe Josh has done all he can to help find his missing wife

Post by Nama on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:39 pm

Joshua Powell’s sister-in-law, Jennifer Graves, and her husband Kirk, are disappointed and do not believe Josh has done all he can to help find his missing wife, Susan Powell.

The Graves traveled from their home in Utah to Washington State Friday to visit family and to have dinner with Josh and his two sons, Charlie, now 5, and Braden, now 3.

Kirk said, "We had a great time spending time with the boys.” The topic of Susan and her disappearance were not discussed.

When Kirk was asked if the topic came up after dinner he declined to answer.

Both Jennifer and Kirk have changed their tone toward Josh and have grown increasingly disappointed.
Jennifer says Josh's demeanor toward her and her family have completely changed since Susan disappeared and that while Josh used to be very talkative he hardly ever talks now.

The Graves do not believe Josh has done all he can to help find his wife.

"I've been disappointed with his efforts. He hasn't put enough effort in, in my opinion," Jennifer Graves said. "He's chosen to work away from the media, which is our biggest tool right now."

"He has not told police anything except the basics," Kirk Graves said. "Every little thing that comes to our minds, we pass along. He hasn't passed anything along. … I know where I'd be if it was my wife."

Jennifer agreed, "I am disappointed with his behavior. He’s chosen to walk away from the media which is our biggest tool right now. His job right now is to talk to police and continue to get her name out there, but he hasn't been doing his job."

The thought that Josh could be in shock about his wife’s disappearance has come up. When asked if he believes this is coming into play, Kirk said, "Anything is possible, I can't pretend I understand Josh's mind, but anything is possible."

Jennifer said the boys, Charlie and Braden, appear to be doing fine. They know mommy is lost.

"They are aware she is lost, that is what they've been told. Other than that, they seem to be OK," she said.

Friends and family of Susan Powell have worked very hard to find her and to keep her story alive.
They put together the Susan Powell Social Media Blitz in an effort to get her picture to every corner of the globe. Click here for ways to continue helping in the search for Susan.
They also put together a Susan Powell Purple Ribbon Campaign.

And today, they’ve decorated her house in purple ribbons, her favorite color.
There’s not much they won’t do to try to find their loved one who has been missing for nearly two months.

Josh was not present at the house when it was being decorated. Critics ask, “Isn’t that trespassing?”

Josh moved to Washington Jan. 11 after he lost his job and felt he would not find work again in his community.

Now everyone is trying to get back into normal routines, but that’s not going to be easy so long as Susan is missing.

"It's going to be awhile before it gets back to normal," Jennifer Graves said. "Just keep looking. Keep looking for her."

"The detectives are still doing a lot of follow-up. We still are getting information and contacts. Some credible and some totally not credible. We check them all out," West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan said Wednesday.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamaree44 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 pm

I too find it difficult to imagine leaving your home when your wife is missing. I would think he'd want to be there in case of her return.

lisamaree44

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamaree44 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:19 pm

It sounds like the Graves are not to sure about him.

lisamaree44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:24 pm

lisamaree44 wrote:I too find it difficult to imagine leaving your home when your wife is missing. I would think he'd want to be there in case of her return.

I agree
welcome2 lisamaree

Back to top Go down

Normal Josh Powell Back in Utah

Post by Nama on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:43 am

Josh Powell, the husband of a West Valley City woman who has been missing since Dec. 7, has returned to Utah after moving to Washington state with his two sons Jan. 11. Friends of Powell told FOX 13 News he is back in Utah to deal with the sale of his house in West Valley City. Police say Powell is in the only person of interest in the disappearance of Susan Powell, and he has not been cooperative.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum