Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Josh Powell Back in Utah

Post by Nama on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:43 am

Josh Powell, the husband of a West Valley City woman who has been missing since Dec. 7, has returned to Utah after moving to Washington state with his two sons Jan. 11. Friends of Powell told FOX 13 News he is back in Utah to deal with the sale of his house in West Valley City. Police say Powell is in the only person of interest in the disappearance of Susan Powell, and he has not been cooperative.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:47 am

"Deal with the sale of his house."

It's not that easy. First, he has to have a buyer. I doubt too many people are clamoring at the door to do a walk-thru of that house.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Post by TerryRose on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:00 pm

What, his wife's name is not on it? If her name is on it jointly, wouldn't he have a hard time selling it without her? What buyer would want to take a chance on all the legalities in that case? He must have planned that one out well if he is the sole owner of the house.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Normal Police seize Joshua Powell's van

Post by Nama on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Police have seized Joshua Powell's blue minivan that he said he drove the night his wife disappeared.
Powell, whose wife Susan has been missing since Dec. 7, had moved back to Washington state with his two young sons, but returned to Utah today to fix up his West Valley City home to sell or rent, said his brother-in-law Kirk Graves. Powell had driven a moving van to Washington and left the family's minivan at the home.
Powell was out with friend John Hellewell today and returned to his vehicle to find a West Valley City police officer waiting with a tow truck and search warrant for the car, Graves said. The vehicle was returned Friday evening.
Kiirsi Hellewell, John Hellewell's wife and a close friend of the Powells, said Joshua Powell spent much of the day Friday with her husband. Joshua Powell was using John Hellewell's computer to draw up lease agreements for potential renters at his West Valley City home.
He parked his minivan at a nearby Walgreen's to avoid media parked outside his home at 6254 W. Sarah Circle (3935 South), Kiirsi Hellewell said. When Powell returned to his vehicle, police served him the warrant, she said.
Powell seemed "pretty rattled, pretty shaken" when police handed him the warrant about 4:30 p.m., Hellewell said.
"He said he doesn't know why they want it," said Hellewell, adding she and her husband don't know what to think about the development.
"There must be something they want to find in there," she said of Powell's van.
Shelby Gifford, a spokeswoman for Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox in Puyallup, Wash., said the Cox family is aware police executed the search warrant today.
She said they aren't aware of other details, including whether an arrest in the case may be imminent.
"Our confidence in West Valley City police continues. We know they're taking all the right steps," Gifford said. She said the family knows they need to be patient to find out more answers, although waiting can be difficult.
The police searched the vehicle once before, shortly after Powell's disappearance.
Graves said his brother-in-law had told people that he wanted to be in Utah for "as short a trip as possible" to fix his unfinished basement, deck and do some wall repairs. Joshua Powell planned to spend a couple of days making the home improvements, Graves said.
Though Graves wasn't present when the warrant was served on Joshua Powell, he said he had been told Powell turned "white as a sheet" when the incident unfolded.
West Valley City police Capt. Anita Schwemmer said officers picked up the vehicle Friday afternoon and by 7:30 p.m. they had returned it.
Powell returned to Utah late Thursday. He arrived at his home to find family and friends had decorated the property with purple ribbons and signs to bring renewed attention to the case of his 28-year-old missing wife.
Joshua Powell told friends he appreciated the decorations, Hellewell said.
"When [Joshua Powell] saw the ribbons, he said 'That's a good idea,'" she said.
Police have said Joshua Powell told them he took their two sons, now ages 3 and 5, camping at 12:30 a.m. the day Susan Powell disappeared, leaving his wife at the family's home. Joshua Powell, 34, whom police have called a person of interest in the disappearance, has since moved to his hometown of Puyallup, Wash., with the boys. He is living with his father after he lost his job in Utah.
Graves and his wife, Jennifer, visited Powell and the boys in Puyallup on Jan.22. He said the boys were excited to see them. Charlie Powell, 5, mentioned that his mom "wasn't around," Graves said.
"They didn't go on and on about it. But they've noticed their mom isn't there," Graves said of his nephews.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal JoVonna Owings clears up a misconception about the day Susan Powell disappeared

Post by Nama on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:01 pm

JoVonna Owings and Susan Powell were friends. Owings is the last person, other than Susan’s husband, Joshua Powell, to see Susan before she went missing nearly two months ago.
Police are frustrated at the lack of cooperation from Josh and are calling him the only person of interest in this case. Police are calling this a missing person’s case with “suspicious overtones."
JoVonna said, “Susan and I knew each other from church for about a year and became close friends about a month before she went missing. I was with her on the day she disappeared and I’ve often wondered what I could have done differently, is there something I should have seen or heard that would have raised a red flag?"
“The only thing that I thought was a little unusual was that Josh took so long to prepare brunch," she said, "Susan took the kids to church in the morning and walked home around noon. I came to their house for the afternoon to spend time with the family and to help Susan untangle some yarn."
“Josh had already started cooking before we got there and didn’t have the meal ready until about 4 p.m. I just figured he didn’t have much experience in the kitchen. When we did eat it was a pleasant meal. He made us scrambled eggs with onions and bell peppers and pancakes with cream cheese.”
JoVonna remembers things went well during their late brunch and that Josh and Susan showed no signs of trouble.
“Not long after we ate Susan was tired and wanted to take a nap,” Owings said.
“One misconception I’d like to clear up is that Susan did not say she was sick and she did not appear sick. She was just tired and wanted to rest for a little while."
She went on, “Josh said he’d take the kids out sledding while she rested, and I left at the same time he and the boys left, between 5 and 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 6.”
“I never went back into Susan’s room to tell her goodbye, something I have regretted not doing. Of course I never thought that might be the last time I’d ever see her."
JoVonna said she offered to bring the yarn back that evening but Josh said no, not to worry about it because Susan wouldn't get a chance to work on it until her next days off.
It was JoVonna's understanding Susan was taking a short nap, maybe 30 minutes to one hour, and she would be up to make dinner and get ready for the next day, which was Monday.
“Nothing seemed unusual that day. The family seemed happy, Josh seemed attentive to Susan. He played with the kids while Susan and I finished up with the yarn. He noticed she was chilled before brunch and brought her a blanket. He did the dishes so we could visit and finish with the yarn.”
JoVonna said one of the most important things to Susan as a mom was stability in her children’s lives. She felt they needed a routine they could count on, being only 2 and 4 years old.
JoVonna told Josh after Susan went missing that she knew how important this was to Susan. She said the week after Susan went missing Josh did put the children back in preschool/daycare for a week.
“I don’t see him looking for a job. Honestly, I think he feels more secure with his father there to shield him,” Owings said.
“I didn’t know them all that well as a couple so I can’t say if it was normal or not for him to take the kids camping. But I can say if it were me and my husband had wanted to take my kids camping in the middle of a snowstorm and in the middle of the night, I would have said ‘No way!’ From what I remember, when Josh did things with the kids he wasn’t gone very long.”
“A neighbor reported he heard the Powell’s car alarm go off at around 11 p.m. for about two minutes - that’s a very long time late at night. I’m surprised no one called the police. Women are taught to push the panic button to raise attention in an emergency situation and I have always wondered if that’s what Susan did the night she went missing.”
“I feel like Susan stepped into a black hole. I just can’t see Josh doing anything physically to hurt her. But then again people do things you wouldn’t expect them to, so who’s to say.”
“Whatever it is that’s happened to Susan, I don’t believe it something she’s doing. It’s something being done to her. She wouldn’t leave her kids - it’s not in her to walk away from her children.”

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Joshua 'Josh' Powell back in Utah, police issue a warrant and seize his van

Post by Nama on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:03 pm

Josh Powell arrived back in Utah Thursday evening and was in town less than 24 hours when police served him with a search warrant and seized his van.
Susan's best friend, Kiirsi Hellewell, said that her husband John picked Josh up from the airport around 9:30 p.m. Thursday.

Josh moved to Puyallup, Wash. one month after his wife, Susan Powell, 28, mysteriously disappeared. He flew back to Utah Thursday to take care of some unfinished business.

JoVonna Owings, a friend of both Susan and Kiirsi, said, "I talked to Kiirsi today and she said Josh planned to meet her and her husband for lunch Friday. On his way to meet them, Josh saw reporters and didn't want to be confronted. He contacted the Hellewells who agreed to meet him outside a grocery store."

Josh got in their car and joined the Hellewell's at their home for lunch, leaving the van behind.

When the three returned to the grocery store parking lot so Josh could retrieve his van they were met by police with a search warrant and tow truck.

“Police seized the van at 4:30 p.m. and returned it to Josh about three hours later,” Kiirsi said in an email this evening.

During a phone interview this evening with JoVonna Owings, she said Josh left his van at his home in West Valley City when he moved to Puyallup nearly three weeks ago, "knowing he would return to make repairs to the home's deck and basement so he could either put the house up for sale or rent."

Owings stated she believes Josh has plans to lease the home where he, his wife, and two children lived before Susan disappeared, to a neighbor.
Owings believes the reason the person may be leasing the home is that it's nicer and bigger than their current home.

Kiirsi said she doesn’t know if Josh is in shock from all that’s happened but does believe the main reason he’s not talking to anyone, including the police, is because he’s been advised by his lawyer.

Friends and family have noted that Josh has been less talkative since Susan went missing, and that his demeanor has changed. “Yes, though he is more talkative with us now than he was,” Kiirsi said.

Josh’s sister, Jennifer Graves, said in a phone interview this evening that, “Josh hasn’t opened up at all. He used to be talkative to the extreme, dominating conversations to the point you couldn’t get a word in edgewise.”

“Now,” she says, “He just goes on about things that don’t matter.”

Kiirsi doesn’t know if Josh plans to remove the signs and ribbons that were put on the house by friends and neighbors last week, but said Josh’s reaction was that they were nice and it was a good idea.

“He acted grateful,” Kiirsi said, “Though I don’t know what he really felt.”

Kiirsi hopes the house isn't sold because she still holds out hope Susan will return.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:17 pm

I wish they had not waited so long to seize the van. Glad they did and I am praying for answers.

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:24 pm

The man needs to spill his guts. I wish they had the right to put him under hypnosis.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Normal Van returned

Post by Nama on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Police have returned a minivan to the husband of a missing Utah woman after searching it.

West Valley City police Capt. Anita Schwemmer on Saturday declined to comment on the purpose of the search and whether it netted any evidence.

She says officers picked up Josh Powell's van Friday afternoon and returned it to him Friday evening.

Schwemmer says investigators impounded Powell's van after obtaining a search warrant.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Family: Missing mom's Facebook support page disappears

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:37 pm

A Facebook page devoted to missing mom Susan Powell has disappeared, and now her family and friends are asking the social networking site to restore the page.

Story Published: Jan 30, 2010 at 7:48 PM PST

Story Updated: Jan 30, 2010 at 7:48 PM PST

PUYALLUP, Wash. – A Facebook page devoted to missing mom Susan Powell has disappeared, and now her family and friends are asking the social networking site to restore the page.

The Facebook page contained information and an extensive photo gallery of Susan Powell, a 28-year-old mother of two from Puyallup who moved to Utah with her husband Joshua after their marriage.

Susan was last seen Dec. 6, 2009, by her husband at their home in West Valley, Utah. He told police he saw her just before he took their two young children on a midnight camping trip in snowy conditions. When they got back, he says she was gone.

Police now consider Joshua a person of interest in her disappearance.

The "Friends & Family of Susan Powell Facebook page" was launched to aid in the effort to find her, and had attracted more than 45,000 members, said Shelby Gifford, spokeswoman for the family.

The page contained information about Susan and her disappearance, and was a place where members of Facebook could come for up-to-date information about the case.

"An entire database of people willing to help with searches and provide other services was deleted from Facebook as of approximately 2 p.m. Friday," Gifford said.

She says Susan's Facebook page has also been plagued by a "troll" who visited the page under assumed identities, even pretending to be Susan Powell herself at one point.

She said Susan Powell's family and the page administrators have made repeated complaints to Facebook and have not received a response.

"Obviously, our reason for using Facebook is that it can reach such a large audience quickly," said James Hofheins, social media coordinator for the Friends & Family of Susan Powell group. "Their lack of response is causing great frustration among Susan’s friends, family and supporters."

In the meantime, a new page called "Friends & Family of Susan Powell Part Two" has now been launched to replace the original page, but it lacks much of the photos, information and membership.

The Facebook page vanished a day after police in suburban Salt Lake City searched a minivan belonging to Susan Powell's husband. There was no word on what, if anything, was found.

Joshua Powell moved back to Puyallup after his wife disappeared and is selling the couple's home in Utah.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:47 pm

How sad that a Troll could do something like this to her family. Takes a sick person to do this.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:55 pm

I think Josh turned white when they served him with the papers to take his van because he thought they were coming for him. I can't believe he is still walking around. I still think he slipped something in her food or drink while her friend was there. What mom goes and "lays down" when she has small children and a friend visiting. Never heard of that.
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:31 am

I wonder what in the world happened to the facebook account???? Internet crimes need to be punished under the full extent of the law. That page took a long time to build and it is gone. To me it is no different than disturbing a memorial or burial site.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:25 am

You know who LM...somebody evil. They walk among us!
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:10 am

Would Josh Powell have the ability to authorize Facebook to remove the page? As it was about his wife
would he have that authority? Because I think he is the one behind it.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:32 am

by artgal16 Today at 11:10 am Would Josh Powell have the ability to authorize Facebook to remove the page? As it was about his wife
would he have that authority? Because I think he is the one behind it.
I don't think he would be able to do anything on her page. A friend of my son died a couple years ago and her MySpace page is still up. Her mother would like to remove it or be able to update it and legally can NOT.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 am

A few friends of mine that passed over the years still have their myspace page. Tom (owner of myspace) even allowed Roger's daughter access to his page. I don't know much about facebook.

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamaree44 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:51 pm

LM you said you wished they wouldn't have waited so long to seize the van, but wasn't it seized earlier? Wonder why they would want it again?

lisamaree44

Back to top Go down

Normal Newspaper's lawyer will look at sealed documents in Susan Powell disappearance investigation

Post by Nama on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:06 am

A judge on Friday permitted a Salt Lake Tribune attorney to view sealed documents concerning the Susan Powell police investigation.
Those documents may include search warrants, which have been shielded from public view. The Tribune has filed a lawsuit to have them disclosed.
Third District Court Judge Judith Atherton told the newspaper's attorney, Mike O'Brien, he may view the materials but cannot share or discuss them with The Tribune .
Atherton's decision came at the end of a short hearing Friday to schedule written and oral arguments for the lawsuit. The Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office has until March 5 to file a written argument for keeping the search warrants sealed and O'Brien must respond 10 days later.
Deputy District Attorney Sandi Johnson said she also will argue The Tribune does not have standing to file a lawsuit over the warrants. Atherton said Johnson may make that argument, but the judge sounded suspicious.
"The press has a pretty strong interest in access," Atherton said.
O'Brien said he needed to view sealed documents in order to argue the merits of the case.
"I'm good, but I'm much better when I know what I'm arguing against," a smiling O'Brien told Atherton.
After the hearing, O'Brien said he will view the petition, which sealed the search warrants and perhaps the search warrants themselves.
West Valley City police have served at least four search warrants in their investigation of what happened to Powell: two on the family home and car, one on the car alone and one to take biological samples from Powell's husband, Joshua Powell.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Judge allows lawyer to review sealed documents in Susan Powell case

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:39 am

February 6, 2010 - The Salt Lake Tribune filed a lawsuit last month to have four search warrants in the case of the missing Utah mom, Susan Powell, unsealed, and Friday a judge allowed their lawyer to view the sealed documents to prepare his case.

Susan Powell disappeared Dec. 6, her husband, Joshua Powell, now living in his hometown of Puyallup, Wash., was the last person to see her. He’s the only person of interest in the case police call a “missing person’s case with suspicious overtones”.

At least four search warrants to Josh’s house, car, and person were served.

Just days prior to their release to the public, they were sealed and continue to be shielded from the public. The Salt Lake Tribune wants them disclosed.

Mike O’Brien, The Salt Lake Tribune’s attorney, convinced Third District Court Judge Judith Atherton that he should be allowed to view the materials in order to prepare his case.

However, there is one stipulation – he cannot share or discuss them with The Tribune.

According to The Salt Lake Tribune, Atherton’s decision came at the end of a short hearing Friday to schedule written and oral arguments for the lawsuit.

The Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office has until March 5 to file a written argument for keeping the search warrants sealed and O’Brien must respond 10 days later.

The Deputy District Attorney Sandi Johnson told The Tribune she also will argue they have no standing to file a lawsuit over the warrants. Atherton said Johnson may make that argument but the judge sounded suspicious.

“The press has a pretty strong interest in access,” Atherton said.

O’Brien’s reasoning for wanting access to the sealed documents is to prepare for argument on the merits of the case.

"I'm good, but I'm much better when I know what I'm arguing against," a smiling O'Brien told Atherton.

After the hearing, O'Brien said he will view the petition, which sealed the search warrants and perhaps the search warrants themselves.

West Valley City police have served at least four search warrants in their investigation of what happened to Powell: two on the family home and car, one on the car alone and one to take biological samples from Powell's husband, Joshua Powell.

O'Brien said the Deseret News and the Society of Professional Journalists also will join the lawsuit as plaintiffs.

In an effort to keep Susan’s story alive her friends and family are planning a “Week of Service for Susan Powell” campaign that will run Feb. 8-12.

Susan disappeared two months ago today.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Joshua Powell rents home to neighbors

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:52 pm

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 02/09/2010 05:52:24 PM MST

Joshua Powell has rented his Utah home to a neighboring family, which is finishing the basement before moving in to the home in a few weeks.

The family's lease on its current residence expired, said Kirk Graves, Powell's brother-in-law. The family is finishing up at least one room in the basement before it moves in, said Kiirsi Hellewell, best friend of Powell's wife, Susan. Hellewell would not disclose the neighbors' names to protect their privacy, she said.

Susan Powell has been missing for more than two months.

Joshua Powell had left Utah to move in with family in Washington, but returned recently to fix up the house and rent or sell it. Friends said he had lost his job in Utah and could no longer afford the house payments.

Susan Powell was reported missing Dec. 7. Police have said Joshua Powell told them he took their two sons camping at 12:30 a.m. that day, leaving his wife at the family's West Valley City home. Police have named Joshua Powell a person of interest in the disappearance.

You could offer that home to me rent free and I wouldn't live in it.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Susan Powell's Parents Suspect Husband Josh Powell Behind Her Disappearance

Post by Nama on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Most of our readers knew all along there was something wrong with Josh Powell's story. He supposedly took a midnight camping trip with their young children from their suburban Salt Lake City home -- in the middle of the winter...

Then he arrived home after missing a day of work -- only to find his wife Susan gone. There were no signs of forced entry. Her keys, credit cards and cell phone were all at home, as was her car. Friends say there's no way she'd leave without her kids.

It's pretty clear Josh Powell killed his wife. But Susan's family is only now beginning to realize it.
​Then there was her husband Josh. He quickly lawyered up and refused to answer detailed questions from police. He also refused to show them where he went camping. In the middle of what was supposed to be a search for his wife, he moved with the kids to Washington state to live with his father.

All along, Susan's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, declined to cast aspersions at their son-in-law. They're devout Mormons inclined to believe the best about people. They wanted to buy Josh's pleas that he wasn't involved.

But two months after the December 7 disappearance, they finally seemed to have realized that Josh is the likely suspect.

They still believe their daughter is alive. But they now admit Josh has done nothing to help police find her. "He's the last person who saw my daughter -- his wife -- alive," Chuck Cox told ABC4-TV. "He's got to know something. He's got to help out. He's thrown a roadblock without his cooperation."

They also say Josh refuses to let them see their grandkids unless they visit them at his father's house in Puyallup, Washington. So far, that's been a no-go for the Coxes. No matter how polite they spin it, they won't visit the home of the man they must know killed their daughter.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamaree44 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:54 pm

That must be so difficult for Susan's parents. I can't believe they have not found any leads.

lisamaree44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:24 am

The one "bright" spot in all of this is that spring is coming, and hopefully they will at least find her body! I would think if he had buried her body in the snow, it would be fairly well-preserved? I'm remembering how Lacy Peterson's body (and her unborn child) eventually surfaced. The truth will eventually be revealed!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:04 am

Rainbow, I Completely agree with you. And, I think Josh knows this. That's why IMO, Josh moved back to Washington where his parents live. He KNOWS eventually he will be arrested so he just wants to be close to his family as long as he can.

I have ZERO sympathy for him. But, his poor children will never see their mother again. He is trying to get his children used to his parents as he knows they will end up raising them. What a complete ass!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:42 am

lisamaree44 wrote:LM you said you wished they wouldn't have waited so long to seize the van, but wasn't it seized earlier? Wonder why they would want it again?

I am sorry lisamaree I don't know the answer to that. If LE seized and examined the van before I have no knowledge of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:22 pm

lindamarie wrote:
lisamaree44 wrote:LM you said you wished they wouldn't have waited so long to seize the van, but wasn't it seized earlier? Wonder why they would want it again?

I am sorry lisamaree I don't know the answer to that. If LE seized and examined the van before I have no knowledge of it.

Hi LM, it was posted on 1.30, when it was reported his Van had been seized again.

said the family knows they need to be patient to find out more answers, although waiting can be difficult.
The police searched the vehicle once before, shortly after Powell's disappearance.

Hope I did this right!
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Family of Susan Powell to take case on 'Dr. Phil' show

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:27 pm

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 02/10/2010 03:42:17 PM MST

The family of missing West Valley City mother Susan Powell will discuss the woman's case on "Dr. Phil" on Tuesday.

Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox; Shelby Gifford, a family friend who has served as a spokeswoman during the search for Susan; and Jennifer and Kirk Graves, the sister and brother-in-law of Joshua Powell, will appear on the program to talk about the search for Susan, said Kiirsi Hellewell, a friend of Susan Powell.

The program will air on KUTV Channel 2 at 3 p.m. and KJZZ Channel 14 at 8 p.m. on Tuesday.

Phil McGraw hosts the one-hour show, which is the second highest-rated daytime talk show in the nation, according to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Susan Powell,28, was reported missing Dec. 7.

Police have said Joshua Powell told them he took their two sons, now ages 3 and 5, camping at 12:30 a.m. the day Susan Powell disappeared, leaving his wife at the family's West Valley City home. Joshua Powell, 34, whom police have called a person of interest in the disappearance, has since moved to his hometown of Puyallup, Wash., with the boys.

He recently returned to Utah to fix up his home to rent to neighbors.

Supporters of Susan Powell meanwhile are continuing to promote a "week of service" in her name through Feb. 15, encouraging people in the arts and crafts community to make projects to donate to organizations that benefit women and children.
said her friend was known for making hats, baby blankets and other gifts for people.

Jennifer Graves, Joshua Powell's sister, announced on the "Friends and Family of Susan Powell" Facebook page Wednesday that she is organizing a baby blanket drive in Susan's honor. She asked people to meet at an LDS chapel at 5176 W. Parr Drive in West Jordan (8440 South) on Saturday at 10 a.m. to work on the blankets, which will be donated to Primary Children's Medical Center.

Two local yarn stores will partake in the service event on Thursday. Blazing Needles, at 1365 S. 1100 East, will host several of Powell's supporters from 6 to 9 p.m. Unraveled Sheep, at 9316 S. 700 East in Sandy, will also host an event from 5 to 9 p.m. Participants are asked to work on a project to donate.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:32 pm

raine1953 wrote:
lindamarie wrote:

Hi LM, it was posted on 1.30, when it was reported his Van had been seized again.

said the family knows they need to be patient to find out more answers, although waiting can be difficult.

Hope I did this right!

LM, Josh's van was originally impounded to look for any evidence at which time he rented a car and put about 200 miles on it in 48 hours. Unfortunately, there was no GPS tracking device. Then, about 2 weeks ago, they impounded the van again. No reason given. Josh has the van back.

Raine1953, you did it right!!! :cheers:

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal abuse from Josh toward Susan became physical, according to a family member Susan confided in

Post by Nama on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:30 pm

February 15, 2010 - During the press conference this afternoon Shelby Gifford, spokesperson for Susan Cox Powell's family, discussed the new foundation set up in honor of Susan. She said they understand that domestic violence progresses through physical violence, sexual violence, and even death.

Gifford said domestic violence typically starts gradually and escalates. Susan and Josh had some of those dynamics in their relationship.

In Susan's case Gifford said yes, there was an incident where abuse from Josh toward Susan became physical, according to a family member Susan confided in.

Susan also confided in family member that she had plans to leave Josh in April of this year, after their wedding anniversary. They do not believe Josh was aware of this.

When asked for a better understanding of Susan's future plans, did they include leaving Josh, Gifford said yes.

The family believes Susan planned to leave Josh in April of this spring, she shared that information with friends. That was a date she set for leaving, the family is not aware if Josh knew about her plans.

Asked if the family would seek legal advice if Josh is not more cooperative in allowing them to see the children, Gifford said yes, if the family cannot come to an agreement and if Josh continues to refuse to let them see the children, they will seek legal action.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Susan Powell's family alleges physical abuse

Post by Nama on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Susan Powell, the 28-year-old mother of two who disappeared in December, told her family she would leave her emotionally -- and they say at least once physically -- abusive husband by April 6, her wedding anniversary, if their relationship did not improve.
While family and friends knew Powell enjoyed gardening, they say what they didn't know was that for her it was a survival tactic: Her husband refused to give her money she needed to feed her family in order to keep control over her life.
"She was told she needed to grow the food that her children ate," said Shelby Gifford, a family friend and the spokeswoman for Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox.
Powell's family shared this story and other insights into her life and the investigation of her disappearance Monday in Puyallup, Wash., where her parents live.
Shelby Gifford, a friend and family spokeswoman, said since Powell's disappearance, her family learned she was in a "difficult marriage and adversarial relationship" with her husband, Joshua Powell, which included "egregious acts of control."
Joshua Powell isolated Susan by preventing her from using the family car and constantly changed the access numbers on their bank account, despite the fact that she earned most of the family's money, Gifford said.
"We didn't have all the pieces," Gifford said. "Everyone knew just a little bit. It is heartbreaking for
us to know these things happened to someone we love so much."
The family said Susan Powell confided in a close friend that Joshua Powell was physically abusive to his wife at least once in the past year, but she did not seek medical assistance or file a police report.
Police and court records show Joshua Powell has never been arrested for or charged with abuse against his wife. His attorney, Scott C. Williams, was not immediately available to comment on the allegation.
Joshua Powell remains the only named person of interest in the investigation, and police have searched his van and the house the couple shared several times, said Judy Cox, Susan Powell's mother.
Her family is not sure whether Joshua Powell knew about Susan Powell's deadline for their relationship to improve. They said her main concern in leaving her husband was the welfare of her two sons, now ages 3 and 5, Gifford said.
Her husband threatened several times to take their children from her if she left, a threat she took seriously, Gifford said. She never mentioned she was afraid for her own safety.
Charles and Judy Cox saw the children for about three hours on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and January 3, but since then, Joshua Powell has refused any more visits.
"I have concerns for their safety -- emotionally at least," Charles Cox said.
The Coxes said they did not talk with the children about their mother's disappearance.
Joshua Powell threatened to take the children if Susan left him, and he often tried to "undo" her parenting efforts, such as taking the children out of bed and telling them their "Mommy is so mean" after she put them down for the night, Gifford said.
Susan Powell's family has taken her story to national media outlets with the desperate hope that someone will be able to help.
Most recently, the family appeared on a special episode of "Dr. Phil," the second-highest-rated daytime talk show, which will air Tuesday.
"He didn't do a normal show," said Charles Cox, who said the entire show is dedicated to the issue of finding missing family members. John Green and Ed Smart, both fathers of young women who were abducted, will appear on the show, he said.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 pm

What a control freak, making her grow what she and the family ate. Wish she had saved old corn cobs for him and told him she grew them for his toilet paper. What a darn shame she did not get the hell out and follow her instinct. She knew something was sseriously wrong.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:50 pm

I agree, Critter, she should have taken those boys and got out of there a long time ago...She just seemed to be the type that took her marriage vows very seriously and didn't want to give up...but she should have It\\'s Not Fair
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Why did Susan put up with this jerk? Her family
seems that they would have been understanding.
There is NEVER any reason to take this type of abuse.
I hope they nail this guy soon- he makes me sick to even see his picture.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Normal Susan Powell's family expresses frustrations on 'Dr. Phil'

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:47 am

By Emiley Morgan
Deseret News
Published: Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2010 6:08 p.m. MST

HOLLYWOOD — Family and friends of Susan Cox Powell appeared on CBS' Dr. Phil show Tuesday in an episode in which the talk show host made parallels between her case and those of women who were killed by their spouses.

The parents of Powell, her husband Josh Powell's sister, Jennifer Graves, and Graves' husband Kirk Graves appeared on the show with Cox family spokeswoman Shelby Gifford.

Dr. Phil McGraw presented the show as a way to prompt people to consider what they would do if they suspected their loved one was killed by someone meant to care for them. He cast doubts on what he called Joshua Powell's "odd alibi," stating that his stories "don't add up."

Susan Powell has been missing for more than two months. Her husband said he last saw her just after midnight on Dec. 7, when he left to take the couple's two young boys camping in a remote part of Tooele County.

Jennifer Graves spoke of her conflicted position having a brother who is a person of interest in the disappearance of a sister-in-law whom she considers a "good friend."

"The thing that has bothered me the most about Josh's behavior is that he has been uncooperative with the police in giving them any details," she said. "You're the husband, there's more you can do. Get up and do it."

When McGraw asked Graves if she had ever directly asked her brother if he was involved in Susan's disappearance, she said she had.

"He wouldn't respond," she said. "He literally wouldn't say anything. He wouldn't say either way."

Much was made of the couple's two young sons, now 3 and 5, who are in Joshua Powell's custody.

Charles "Chuck" Cox, Susan Powell's father, said he and his wife haven't seen the boys since Jan. 3 despite attempts to reach Joshua Powell on numerous occasions. He said the oldest boy told police in an interview that he did go camping, but Chuck Cox said he knows that his daughter would not have allowed her boys to go camping under such circumstances.

"If she had a breath in her body, she would not let them out at that time in the morning," he said.

Cox said the story of a father who believes his daughter was killed by her husband and was kept from his grandchildren for seven years, prompted him to "strengthen his resolve" in maintaining a relationship with his grandsons.

"We will be talking to them," he said. "No matter how it feels or what it takes."

In an e-mail Monday, family spokeswoman Shelby Gifford asked the media to refer to Susan Powell as Susan Cox Powell. Gifford said this was because those who loved her knew her as Susan Cox, though the world knows her as Susan Powell. The foundation started in her name will be the Susan Cox Powell Foundation.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by laga on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:18 pm

I feel so sorry for Susan's family, what agony it must be to know your beloved grandchildren are with a murderer. Why, oh why must LE take so long to make an arrest!?
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamaree44 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:20 pm

Apparently they have no evidence. How sad.

lisamaree44

Back to top Go down

Normal Photos, ribbons distributed in Washington neighborhood of Joshua Powell

Post by Nama on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Reminders of missing West Valley City mother Susan Cox Powell are plastered around the neighborhood where the only person of interest in the case is now living.
Supporters of Susan Powell have canvassed the Washington state neighborhood where her husband Joshua has moved with the couple's two children, Charlie, 5, and Braden, 3. Several posters with Susan Powell's photo, adorned with purple tape and ribbons, are hanging on signs, light posts and trees, said Shelby Gifford, a spokeswoman for Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox.
Joshua Powell, 34, is staying at the home of his father, Steven Powell, in a gated community called Country Hollow. The home is in South Hill, an area just outside of Puyallup, Wash.
Two posters with Susan Powell's photo are prominently displayed at the entrance of the gated community.
Colleen Russell, who lives two doors down from the Powells, said she organized the effort after seeing a recent episode of "Dr. Phil" discussing the search for Susan Powell. Russell went door to door and asked neighbors if she could tie purple ribbons to trees in their yard in honor of Susan Powell. Many in the neighborhood didn't know about the case or Joshua Powell's connection to it, she said.
"I just feel it's unfair that Josh can move out of state and forget. We're not going to allow that," said Russell, who had never met the Powells or the Coxes before organizing the neighborhood flier and ribbon campaign. She
said she observed Joshua Powell taking out the trash at his father's home as she walked around the neighborhood with ribbons.
Russell said Joshua Powell recently attended a neighborhood get together with one of his young sons. Some in attendance said he seemed "a little off", but was polite, she said.
She also questions why Joshua Powell isn't helping to post fliers with his missing wife's photo.
"If he had nothing to hide, he'd be helping me out there; helping me hang the fliers," Russell said.
Gifford said the Coxes are grateful for attention to the search for their daughter as well as the outpouring of support from neighbors in Puyallup. Besides ribbons and fliers in the Powell neighborhood, merchants have posted Susan Powell information on the marquees of their businesses.
"I think there has been a consistent effort by people up here to make other people aware that Susan is missing. Everybody up here knows Susan. Of course up here, they know her as Susan Cox," Gifford said. "When they see her photograph, it has been jogging a lot of memories."
Joshua Powell has continually declined to speak to The Salt Lake Tribune . His father, Steven Powell, and brother, Michael Powell, have also declined comment about the search for Susan Powell.
Steven Powell told The Tribune in December that he believes his son has been "vilified" during the search for his missing daughter-in-law.
West Valley City police, the Cox family, and Joshua Powell's sister Jennifer Graves have publicly expressed frustration over Joshua Powell's apparent lack of cooperation and participation in the search.
West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan said the investigation into Powell's disappearance continues, but no new details can be released.
Gifford said those closest to Susan Powell are eager to hear about a break in the case, but are confident police are handling the investigation well.
"We still are confident and comfortable that the police are doing what they can do," Gifford said.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:13 am

It's good to hear that someone is "keeping the heat on" Joshua Powell. He can run but he can't hide!! :lightning:

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 am

SALT LAKE CITY - In his own way of reaching out toward the public for the first time, Josh Powell, husband of the missing Utah mother, had his own site published online, dedicated to his missing wife and wellbeing of his children. Susan Powell dot org makes no mention of other search sites for Susan -- sites that have already garnered a vast nationwide following. The Facebook page currently has over 45,000 members.

Susan's friend, Kiirsi Hellewell says that when the search for Susan went online Josh told her he "owned" the SusanPowell.org domain. "We said, great, get it up," says Hellewell. That was nearly two months ago.

The site has new pictures of Susan and her family and references West Valley Police for potential tipsters who may know the whereabouts of Susan Cox Powell.

Susan Powell dot org says it is the official website for her. But her parents, the Cox family, say they do not sanction the site and do not want anyone to confuse it with the Facebook page or their website, Susan Cox Powell Foundation dot Org.

"Some of things Josh says on the website are very contradictory to what I know from Susan's own mouth," says Hellewell.

CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:46 am

CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:48 am

I am sooooo excited, this is my first video I ever figured out how to post!! Off topic I know, pls forgive me. 🐶 🐶 🐶
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Joshua Powell's father: Fliers of missing mom upset kids
Steven Powell » 'We all support any legitimate effort to locate Susan.'

By Melinda Rogers

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 02/27/2010 09:34:14 AM MST

Joshua Powell's father on Friday said posters of his missing daughter-in-law plastered around his Washington state neighborhood this week are upsetting and confusing his two young grandchildren.

"Five-year-old Charlie did notice the flyers, and was concerned, asking why his mother's picture was on all the signs," said Steven Powell, father-in-law of Susan Powell, in an e-mail. "We have made every effort to shield the children from emotional trauma and will continue to do so."

Joshua Powell and his sons, ages 5 and 3, have been living with Steven Powell since December. The home is in a gated community in South Hill, an area just outside of Puyallup, Wash.

Colleen Russell, who lives two doors down from the Powells, said she organized the effort after seeing a recent episode of "Dr. Phil" discussing the search for Susan Powell. Russell went door to door and asked neighbors if she could tie purple ribbons to trees in their yard in honor of Susan Powell. Many in the neighborhood didn't know about the case or Joshua Powell's connection to it, she said.

"I just feel it's unfair that Josh can move out of state and forget. We're not going to allow that," said Russell, who had never met the Powells or the Coxes before organizing the neighborhood flier and ribbon campaign.

Steven Powell said the homeowner's association in his gated community has agreed to take down some of the Susan Powell memorabilia as well as to pay for cleanup of the materials.

He wrote that he and his family "all support any legitimate effort to locate Susan," and linked to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The home page features a photo of Susan and Josh Powell, along with their two children, outdoors in the snow near what appears to be a campfire.

"Susan, we love and miss you," the headline on the page states.

The Web site contains information about when Susan was reported missing and includes contact information the West Valley City Police Department. The site includes separate biographies for Susan and Josh Powell, and says it will "attempt to share general facts about the children's happiness and progression."

"These sweet boys will need your support both in terms of prayers and in terms of any other support you would like to offer," the Web site states. "The children are happy and well adjusted in their new home...They receive love and hugs frequently throughout each day. They regularly play with their friends. And they get lots of personal attention to their education and other needs."

Josh Powell's biography on the Web site offers a stark contrast from descriptions from several of Susan Powell's friends and family, who have described Josh Powell as controlling and abusive toward his wife and cited incidents including keeping her from using the family car and bank accounts and undermining her parenting abilities to their children.

The Web site, however, describes the 34-year-old as a "loving father and husband."

"He likes to take his wife out to dinner or watch movies with her. He regularly does activities with his beautiful wife and with his entire family. Josh is totally committed to his wife and children, continually finding new and engaging activities to do with them," the Web site states.

"Josh loves to socialize with friends and family. He enjoys gardening, woodworking, and building construction projects. He knows a few songs on the piano and guitar. And he has been known to sing a song when the mood hits. He also loves photography, especially when the photos are of Susan and the boys. He enjoys problem solving and he is a computer programmer by trade. Josh is very involved in his children's lives and every day he includes the children in many hobbies, educational events, and outdoor activities."

Steven Powell in his e-mail to The Tribune confirmed that his son has been frustrated by reports that he is not allowing Chuck and Judy Cox to see their grandchildren, Charlie and Braden. Powell included an audio recording in the e-mail of a last-minute phone message Chuck Cox left at the Powells informing them they wouldn't be able to attend one of the children's birthday party because someone in their LDS Church ward had been admitted to the hospital.

Shelby Gifford, a spokeswoman for the Coxes, said Chuck Cox canceled only after someone collapsed from a heart attack in the same room as him during a meeting at church. She said that Josh Powell refused to allow his boys to attend a birthday party at the Cox home on Dec. 19.

At point, Josh Powell told Chuck Cox, "The kids can't come over. You understand," Gifford said.

"He said, 'I don't understand. Explain it to me,'" Gifford said.

Josh Powell gave no answers, and hasn't been consistently returning phone calls, she said. The last time Josh Powell allowed his sons to visit the Coxes was Jan.3.

Wayne Hamberg, a friend of Josh Powell who lives in Utah, recently told The Tribune that Josh Powell has been treated unfairly by his in-laws. He said when Josh has brought the boys to the Coxes home, he has to wait outside.

Hamberg said his friend is being unjustly targeted and doesn't believe Josh Powell knows anything about his wife's disappearance. He thinks others are afraid to support Josh Powell publicly.

Kirk Graves, Josh Powell's brother-in-law, said the Coxes supported Josh Powell in the early stages of the investigation.

"They were the ones most likely to turn people away from speculation about Josh and keep things focused on Susan," Graves said.

That's changed since Josh Powell stopped speaking with investigators and hired an attorney early in the case.

"The more recent approach they are taking now is in response to Josh's lack of cooperation with them or the police, and their conviction that he knows more than he has said," Graves said.

Graves and his wife, Jennifer, have publicly criticized Josh Powell for refusing to speak with police. The Coxes are working hard to see their grandchildren and may soon see more of them, he said.

CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 pm

Critter, how did you post that video?? It's embedded and I would love to know!!!!!!! I know I'm not alone!

WTH is wrong with this ass? He is acting a lot like the Anthony's. It's really unbelievable!!!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal New memorial website for Susan Cox Powell said to be 'creepy', thought to be set up by her husband

Post by Nama on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 am

February 27, 2010 - A new website, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] has many people confused and asking questions.

There is chatter on the Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook page about the new website. The general consensus seems to be that the fire in the photo may have been added to the picture.

Some believe the picture is distasteful given the circumstances surrounding Susan's disappearance and Josh Powell, Susan's husband's, largely disbelieved story that he took his kids camping in the middle of the night during a Utah snowstorm the night she disappeared.
Readers shared their opinions:

Fonda Sue Truelove wrote, "Someone photo shot the campfire into the pic."

Linda Blair said, "Scary picture...is he trying to prove they go camping in the snow???? It looks photo shopped … added to the picture … I think I've seen this picture without the fire before …"

"That picture is just creepy considering what we know," said Anne White. "How distasteful that he would choose that shot - but typical Josh I guess."

Kiirsi Hellewell, Susan's best friend, said, "I have never known Susan to go camping in the winter. My guess is that the fire is someone's backyard fire pit."

"It looks tampered to me too," said Robyn Morris.

Anne White said, "Me too - the flames don't look natural."

Kiirsi Branham Hellewell says, "That may very well be the case (photo shopped). I haven't seen the pic before but Josh is in possession of thousands of pics and videos of Susan and kids."

"Susan is not a huge fan of the cold and snow," Natalie Taylor Butler said, "she would not go 'camping' in the winter, in the snow.....that is so not them!"

The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] URL was purchased July 19, 2006, it expires July 19, 2019, and was last updated Jan. 20, 2010.
The Sponsoring Registrar is Wild West Domains, Inc., the site is set to Private Registration, and the Registrant Organization is Domains by Proxy, Inc.
In other words, there is no way to know who established the website because the owner set up filters to protect their anonymity.

According to Connect2Utah.com, Susan's friend Kiirsi Hellewell says Josh told her in December he intended to set up a site in his wife's honor.

Shelby Gifford, a spokesperson for Susan's family, says if the site is established by Josh then he should instead spend his time looking for his wife or talking to the police. "I don't think there is any credibility to the website at all," Gifford told Connect2Utah.com. "I think if Josh really is sincerely involved in this website and he is truly interested in finding his wife he certainly has passed up multiple opportunities to do that."

The site claims there are other websites about Susan but that it is the only source of new photos, videos, and even Susan's own words.

At the time of this writing, the website contained four pages- Home, Susan Powell, Josh Powell, and Contact - each page links to a Legal Notice with Copyright, Trademark, Use of Information, and No Warranty information to its readers.

The "Home" page reassures its readers that Susan's two young sons are happy and well-adjusted in their new home and that they receive love and hugs frequently each day. They play with their friends and get lots of personal attention to their education and other needs.

The "Susan Powell" page shares information about Susan and claims some information is humorous. Some is educational, and they want it to be uplifting. Information on the page is present-tense and talks about Susan's hobbies, things she enjoys, and that she never holds back when socializing with friend.

"You could say she wears her heart on her sleeve," it says.

The "Josh Powell" page is all about a loving father and husband who likes to take his wife out to dinner or watch movies with her. It talks about activities they do together, again in the present-tense. "Josh would like you to include his family and friends in your prayers," it says.
And finally, the "Contact" page urges people to contact police, but please, no prank calls.

It's unclear if Josh Powell created the site or someone very close to the family, someone who would be involved in their day-to-day life.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by laga on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:42 am

If Josh photo-shopped that picture adding the fire.....could that be a freudian slip of sorts telling what he did with Susan?
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:03 pm

laga wrote:If Josh photo-shopped that picture adding the fire.....could that be a freudian slip of sorts telling what he did with Susan?
Hard to imagine him burning her that night as cold as it was....horrible to think of her being burned. I cannot even look at his picture. He makes me sick.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Normal What about the boys? How is Josh treating them??

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:51 pm

March 5, 2010 - Susan Cox Powell, 28, mysteriously disappeared Dec. 6. Her husband, Josh Powell, was the last person to see her around midnight. He claimed to have taken their two young sons on an impromptu overnight camping trip leaving in the middle of the night. The next day when he returned his wife was missing. He claims he does not know where she is.

Soon after Susan disappeared police questioned Josh but he would not cooperate and canceled future interviews scheduled by police.

He will not speak with family or friends and, other than an interview with media the day Susan was reported missing, he has refused to speak to media. Click here for the interview.

He has not pleaded with the public to help find his wife.

His silence has raised concerns that he may have something to do with Susan's disappearance, or that he may know something he isn't telling police.

Josh remains the only person of interest in what police call a missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones.

Josh moved his two young children, now ages 5 and 3, from their West Valley City, Utah home to his hometown of Puyallup, Wash., less than a month after Susan went missing. Friends and family are concerned that the children have lost not only their mother but the only support system they knew.

Josh and his sons are now living with Josh's father, Steven Powell aka Steven Chantrey, in the Country Hollow community in Puyallup.

Examiner.com spoke with two legal experts, Attorney and Legal Analyst, Anne Bremner, and Family Law Attorney, Juliana Wong, of Stafford Frey Cooper in Seattle regarding the Susan Cox Powell case. Attorneys Bremner and Wong have agreed to provide their expert opinion.

"The paramount concern for any court is the well-being of the children - physically, mentally and emotionally. Here, in this case," Bremner and Wong said, "it is necessary to investigate what is occurring in the home and whether the children are being cared for properly."

"This includes," they said, "whether the boys are being exposed to mental and emotional abuse as it relates to their missing mother and their current circumstances of having no contact with extended family."

While Susan and Josh's children live near their maternal grandparents in Puyallup, Chuck and Judy Cox, they're not allowed to see them without their father being present and they must visit the children at Steven Powell's home. The Coxes are not comfortable in Steven's home.

Josh has never given any reason why he will not allow the Coxes see the children unsupervised.

"Given the tragic circumstances, one has to analyze why Josh Powell and his family is choosing to keep the children away from their maternal grandparents and other extended family," said legal experts, Bremner and Wong.

"The children are young and confused and should be afforded the security of familiar family members," they said. "The complete alienation from a set of grandparents and an aunt and uncle, who were very involved in their lives prior to the disappearance, cannot be seen as in the best interests of the children. Especially, when additional comfort and support is essential during this time of transition."

Jennifer Graves, Josh's sister, said that her father, Steven, is the only adult in the home who is working at this time. Three of Jennifer's brothers and one sister all live in the home with their father, are all 24 and older, and are all unemployed. She does not believe it is a good environment for her nephews.

Kirk Graves, Josh's brother-in-law, told Examiner.com that Steven works selling furniture made in prisons that is then sold mostly to public schools and that on the side, he writes and edits songs using the name 'Steven Chantrey'.

Debbie Caldwell, who provided childcare for the Powell's before Susan disappeared, said Susan made it clear to her husband she did not feel comfortable around his father, Steven, and that she never wanted the children left alone in his care. She also said she never wanted her boys left alone with Josh's brother.

A little digging revealed Steven Powell had a troubled childhood. He claimed on his website that he was 'kidnapped' by his grandparents and when he told a friend his grandmother put cayenne pepper on his tongue and stood him in the corner. He was told he would never see his mother again.

Levi Page, Host of the Levi Page Show, a crime-based Internet radio show on Blog Talk Radio, has been covering Susan's case. He said, "Let's not forget about the suspicion that is growing around Joshua's father. Why is the family of Susan Powell afraid of Joshua's father? Having the children living with someone like Joshua in addition to his father, could be TNT, an explosion waiting to happen."

"Unfortunately," Page said, "Child Services rarely take children out of the homes of parents, but this at least should entail an investigation. I've covered cases where children are left in the care of unstable parents and they end up abused, missing or murdered. Hopefully that will not happen in this case."

"The big question," he said, "is what do the children know? Did they witness anything that could implicate Joshua? If so, I believe the children are in immediate danger."

Jennifer Graves, Josh's sister, says, "I don't feel it's an emotionally safe environment for the boys."

Kirk, Jennifer's husband, and Jennifer believe it's no place for their nephews who they say they have not seen since Jan. 22. They traveled 900 miles to see the boys and were asked to leave when they asked Josh about Susan's disappearance.

Chuck Cox, Susan Powell's father, said that physically he doesn't believe his grandkids are in danger. But then again, did he ever consider his son-in-law could possibly be involved in the disappearance of his wife?

Did he consider Josh, his son-in-law, would tell the unbelievable story he told, that he would move away from the house where Susan lived before she disappeared, and that he would not help police find her?

He never thought any of those things. He did say during a recent press conference that he feels Steven Powell's home is dysfunctional.

Are they in danger? No one really knows.

Levi Page shared his opinion and said, "I believe that based on Joshua's strange behavior that his children are in danger. Putting aside the obvious fact that it is a strong possibility that he was involved in his wife's mysterious disappearance, according to his time line of events, he had taken his children out to a remote area to go camping after midnight while it was 10 degrees outside and snowing."

"The fact that he would subject a two-year-old toddler, and a four-your-old to that sort of weather, that late at night, while they should have been sleeping peacefully in their own beds," he said, "shows that he is lacking proper judgment and that the children are not safe in his care. Joshua also acts on impulse, according to him he suddenly decides to go camping in freezing weather after midnight and then acts on those impulses."

Legal Analyst, Lisa Bloom, said on the Dr. Phil Show, "Let me speak plainly, I think that Josh's alibi
is preposterous, it's outrageous, and it's an insult to our intelligence. Nobody can really believe that he would take two little children out camping in the middle of the night. But there may be a germ of truth in it just as there was a germ of truth in Scott Peterson's story, because, unfortunately, Laci's remains were found in the bay where he said he had gone fishing. And I do believe that Josh Powell probably did take a long ride that night with the boys in the car, and, unfortunately, that may have been where he disposed of his wife."

"But we really can't believe anything that he said. His story is so far beyond the pale. And his refusal to be part of the search, his refusal to cooperate, his clamming up, his moving out of state when people are still looking in the state for his own wife, none of that adds up to anything good for Josh Powell," Bloom said.

Susan Murphy Milano, Violence Expert, said, "Jason Young, after 3 years, was finally indicted in North Carolina for the murder of wife Michelle Young, who was pregnant at the time. Young, like so many who are finally charged, do not take their own life as they believe they will never 'get caught.' The children are in danger in my opinion when the person with whom they identify with as 'daddy' is a suspect in not some random act, but premeditated murder.

"When a mother goes missing (like in the Powell case), the children should automatically be placed by the State with relatives until such time as the husband or father of the children is cleared," Milano said, "We are seeing far too many of these cases and we need to protect the children unable to speak for themselves. "

"In this case, it would be appropriate for the children to be placed with relatives and not the father, at least pending an investigation," said legal experts Bremner and Wong.

"A Guardian ad Litem should be appointed on behalf of the minors and pending the recommendations of the GAL, liberal residential time should be set forth for the father, but the children’s safety should be secured by placing them temporarily with the Cox’s," they said, "Especially when the father is under investigation is still a possible suspect in the disappearance of the children’s mother."

The Coxes have made repeated attempts to contact Josh to visit the boys. Josh has declined their requests or simply refused to return their phone calls. They have seen their grandchildren only three times since their daughter went missing three months ago.

Chuck said Josh claims to have lost his cell phone and is using that as an excuse for not returning Chuck's calls and requests to see the boys.

For their entire lives the boys have been 900 miles away from their maternal grandparents, now they live within a few minutes, but they are further from their grandparents than ever.

Josh was a talkative, very opinionated man before his wife went mysteriously missing last December. Now, Susan's family and friends say they can hardly get two words out of him these days.

Josh's sister, Jennifer Graves, said this about her nephews, "I have concerns about their safety - especially emotionally."

Last edited by Wrapitup on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Family, friends mark 3 months since Susan Powell's disappearance

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:18 pm

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 03/06/2010 09:42:08 PM MST

Laura Daniel never met Susan Cox Powell.

But over the past three months, posters of the smiling 28-year-old West Valley City mother along with purple ribbons displayed across the Salt Lake Valley to bring awareness to Powell's disappearance tugged at Daniel's heartstrings.

So on Saturday evening, Daniel and her husband gathered with others in West Valley City's Centennial Park to commemorate three months since the day Powell vanished.

"I just wanted to show my support and to keep her face out there," said Daniel, who wore a purple sweatshirt for the occasion. Purple is Powell's favorite color.

In West Valley City and Puyallup, Wash., friends and family of Susan Powell as well as people who had never met her gathered to light candles, sing songs and share prayers that she might soon be found.

Kiirsi Hellewell, Powell's best friend in West Valley City, said she never expected the search for her friend would have stretched so long.

"We did not think we would still be doing this three months later," said Hellewell, who implored anyone with information about Powell's whereabouts to come forward to provide answers for Powell's grieving family.

"We want her back. We are heartbroken and we are suffering," Hellewell said.

In Puyallup, Chuck Cox, Powell's father, said he is still "keeping hope alive" that his daughter will be found.

"We want people to know she is still out there," he said.

About 50 people attended the Puyallup vigil. Some brought signs and ribbons they gave to the Coxes.

Joshua Powell did not attend either vigil. He is the only person of interest named by West Valley City police in the case. Powell moved to live with his father in Washington state following his wife's disappearance.

A small group of participants at the West Valley City vigil sang one of Powell's favorite songs, "Hold On," by Michael McLean. A telephone message Powell left for her mother, Judy Cox, also was played on loudspeakers.

Powell is heard singing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" with her 5-year-old son Charlie, while 3-year-old Braden chattered in the background. Powell ends the message by wishing her mother a good day.

The message, also played in Puyallup, was heart-wrenching for many in the crowd.

"Hope you are having a good day," Chuck Cox repeated. "That's Susan. Always there, helping her children."

Jennifer Graves, Joshua Powell's sister, spoke briefly at the West Valley City vigil and thanked everyone who has played a role in keeping her sister-in-law's name alive as the search continues. Her family is grateful to people in the community who have offered support in the difficult months since Susan Powell went missing, she said.

"Those words uplift our hearts, which sometimes feel heavy," Graves said. Through tears, she spoke of her faith and her belief that Susan Powell will be found.

"God has a plan for Susan. Please keep praying for her," she said.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Josh at a strip club?

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:34 am

- A handful of patrons and even some employees are sure they saw Josh Powell in their bar, Duces Wild, on Monday, December 7th -- the same day it was discovered his wife, Susan Cox Powell, was missing.

West Valley friends of the Powells say it couldn't have been Josh because he doesn't drink.

Either way, what does it matter?

The alleged sighting did not bring Susan Powell home.

As for the legal implications, ABC 4 turned to Daniel Medwed, a law professor at the University of Utah.

If Josh Powell were to ever find himself in court over his wife's disappearance, Professor Medwed said a prosecutor could use the sighting to establish Powell's state of mind. "But more importantly," Professor Medwed said, "It goes to the purported alibi that Mr. Powell has been advancing for months now -- That he was in the west desert with his kids. This directly contradicts that alibi."

However, the professor also noted that a good defense attorney would have little trouble shredding the story of Josh Powell in a strip bar.

The first problem: There is no concrete evidence. The surveillance video recordings at "Duces Wild" recycle every seven days. By the time West Valley police detectives were notified, the pictures from the Monday in question had been erased.

Next problem: There's a conflict with the timeline. The bartender at Duces Wild remembers the man identified as Josh Powell arriving at 2:00 p.m. and staying until 4:30 p.m. But Powell family friend JoVona Owings said she called Josh on his cell phone around 3:00 p.m. She believes during their conversation he was in his car, not a noisy bar. Conclusive? No, but it plants doubt in a juror's mind.

What's more, Profession Medwed said the defense attorney would attack the credibility of the witnesses from the bar. "And you know what? You might have some ammunition to discredit them. They were, after all, in this bar in the middle of the afternoon. That's not going to play well with a Utah jury." In other words, the bar is dark and people are drinking ... You can see where a defense attorney would take those facts.

Even more, he would pound away at the fact that identification of Josh Powell came only days later. Sherman, a bar patron who sat next to the man he says was Josh Powell, remembered, "When I saw his face on TV, I said, 'Where do I know this guy from?' And then it came to me that I knew him from the bar." The defense attorney could call expert witnesses who would testify such an after-the-fact identification was "unconscious transference." Professor Medwed said, "So as soon as the news broke of Susan Powell's disappearance -- ABC 4 News in particular -- it's quite possible that the patrons of the bar kind of conflated their recollection of the event with the higher profile image of the Josh Powell - Susan Powell fiasco and they merged the two."

Such a "tainted" memory, he said, "can easily unravel during a skillful defense attorney's cross examination."

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum