Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

+22
HippyChick2
Slys Hunny
HippieChick
Praying For Faith
mayhem
raine1953
Turtle
Lilone
TerryRose
charminglane
adelacruz
Marica
lisamaree44
jeanne1807
lisette
artgal16
laga
janie
CritterFan1
Nama
Juanita
Wrapitup
26 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Josh at a strip club?

Post by Nama Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:34 am

- A handful of patrons and even some employees are sure they saw Josh Powell in their bar, Duces Wild, on Monday, December 7th -- the same day it was discovered his wife, Susan Cox Powell, was missing.

West Valley friends of the Powells say it couldn't have been Josh because he doesn't drink.

Either way, what does it matter?

The alleged sighting did not bring Susan Powell home.

As for the legal implications, ABC 4 turned to Daniel Medwed, a law professor at the University of Utah.

If Josh Powell were to ever find himself in court over his wife's disappearance, Professor Medwed said a prosecutor could use the sighting to establish Powell's state of mind. "But more importantly," Professor Medwed said, "It goes to the purported alibi that Mr. Powell has been advancing for months now -- That he was in the west desert with his kids. This directly contradicts that alibi."

However, the professor also noted that a good defense attorney would have little trouble shredding the story of Josh Powell in a strip bar.

The first problem: There is no concrete evidence. The surveillance video recordings at "Duces Wild" recycle every seven days. By the time West Valley police detectives were notified, the pictures from the Monday in question had been erased.

Next problem: There's a conflict with the timeline. The bartender at Duces Wild remembers the man identified as Josh Powell arriving at 2:00 p.m. and staying until 4:30 p.m. But Powell family friend JoVona Owings said she called Josh on his cell phone around 3:00 p.m. She believes during their conversation he was in his car, not a noisy bar. Conclusive? No, but it plants doubt in a juror's mind.

What's more, Profession Medwed said the defense attorney would attack the credibility of the witnesses from the bar. "And you know what? You might have some ammunition to discredit them. They were, after all, in this bar in the middle of the afternoon. That's not going to play well with a Utah jury." In other words, the bar is dark and people are drinking ... You can see where a defense attorney would take those facts.

Even more, he would pound away at the fact that identification of Josh Powell came only days later. Sherman, a bar patron who sat next to the man he says was Josh Powell, remembered, "When I saw his face on TV, I said, 'Where do I know this guy from?' And then it came to me that I knew him from the bar." The defense attorney could call expert witnesses who would testify such an after-the-fact identification was "unconscious transference." Professor Medwed said, "So as soon as the news broke of Susan Powell's disappearance -- ABC 4 News in particular -- it's quite possible that the patrons of the bar kind of conflated their recollection of the event with the higher profile image of the Josh Powell - Susan Powell fiasco and they merged the two."

Such a "tainted" memory, he said, "can easily unravel during a skillful defense attorney's cross examination."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Re: Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Post by Nama Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:36 am

For the past three months, many have been asking the same question: Where was Josh Powell the day his wife disappeared?

Three people in Salt Lake City say they have the answer to that question.

Some people don't believe it, and police have no surveillance footage to corroborate the claim. But a bartender, a bouncer and a customer of the Deuces Wild Strip Club in Salt Lake City claim they saw Josh Powell drinking and talking too much on the day Susan Powell disappeared.

"He just kept saying over and over, I've had a really bad day, and I've got a story to tell,"' said Sherman, a patron.

And he finally asked him, 'Well, what kind of day did you have? What's up, dude?"' Kimberly, the club's co-owner, said.

The three people claim Josh Powell was at the club on the day his wife Susan Powell disappeared from their home near Salt Lake City. They said they'd never before seen Josh Powell, but he was hard to forget because he was exceptionally annoying.

"Kind of acted a little bit off the wall," said one man, who did not want to be identified.

"At one point, I guess he took someone else's beer off the table," said Kimberly.

"He was being belligerent to the patrons and to the girls at the bar," Sherman said.

Some patrons even reportedly applauded when Josh Powell finally left the bar.

"(They were) glad he was leaving, because he was such a pain in the butt," said Kimberly.

The same patrons and club employees were later stunned to see Josh Powell's face on the news as the husband who claims he left for a camping trip with his kids at midnight in freezing temperatures on the night his wife vanished.

"He drew my attention, because nobody forgets a jerk. And it was just one of those things that bothered me. When I saw his face on TV, I recollected, 'Yeah, that is definitely the guy,"' said Sherman.

Over the weekend, a broken-hearted father and friends held a vigil in Susan Powell's honor in her home town of Puyallup.

Josh Powell moved back to Puyallup with his two young sons in the days after his wife's disappearance. He remains the only person of interest in her case.

Sherman called police after he saw Josh Powell on the news a week after meeting him at the strip club.

A spokesman for the West Valley Police Department confirmed investigators received and looked into the tip, but concluded there was no way to verify the tip since there was no surveillance footage available.

A friend of Susan Powell says she doesn't believe Josh Powell is the type to pay a visit to a strip club. She also wonders where the boys were during the time their father was allegedly at the club.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Police doubt story of Josh Powell at strip club

Post by Nama Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:37 am

West Valley police say they doubt a man seen at a strip club on the day Susan Cox Powell disappeared was her husband.

"We're aware (of the story). We investigated it. We talked to the people involved. We don't feel that was Josh (Powell)," said West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Re: Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Post by Guest Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:30 am

BJ in OR wrote:...A friend of Susan Powell says she doesn't believe Josh Powell is the type to pay a visit to a strip club. She also wonders where the boys were during the time their father was allegedly at the club.

That is what I was thinking... particularly the part about where his boys would be! If he left them with someone, whoever he left them with would surely have come forward by now. I guess he could have left them sleeping in the van outside, but not likely.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:47 am

As cold as it was that night, I cannot imagine him leaving the boys out in the van, alone. IF he was really camping with the boys he would probably have to turn the car heater on every now and then. Also, why bother going to a strip club then, he knew he would be free to hang around strippers, because he knew Susan would never know about it. stripper
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Update 9/15/11 Susan Powell's Scattered Remains MAY have been Found! A search in the Utah desert for a missing mother took a strange turn Thursday when the site that authorities said contained human remains turned up no body parts.

Post by Wrapitup Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:28 am

By Melinda Rogers

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 03/16/2010 11:46:48 PM MDT

As the search for missing West Valley City mother Susan Powell inches toward its fourth month, a formal ground search to locate the 28-year-old woman is taking shape.

A group of Cache County residents has announced plans to search for Powell in Utah's west desert on April 10.

The search area will be near the region where Powell's husband, Joshua Powell, told police he went camping with the couple's two young boys the night his wife disappeared.

Volunteers will be organized into teams and assigned an area to search.

"There are several roads in the area, but most of the searching will be done on foot over some hill country and flatlands," the news release states.

The West Valley City Police Department said the area is dangerous and volunteer searchers may put themselves at risk going over an area already thoroughly investigated.

"We have had teams of trained officers both in the air and on the ground and underground searching the area. We've spent several thousand hours [searching the area]," said West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan.

"The problem with a public search is that it is a vast area. It is an area that is very wild and remote, and somebody who is relatively untrained can go out there and get hurt and help is a long ways away," he said.

The group plans to stage a command post south of Tooele and west of Vernon at the Simpson Springs campground where search groups will "be sent out to different areas to cover as much ground as possible from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.," according to a news release posted on "The Friends and Family of Susan Powell" Facebook page.

McLachlan said police will be in touch with volunteer search organizers to warn them of potential problems they may face and provide advice on what they should do if coming in contact with anything "of a dangerous or suspicious nature."

He said the location of the Powell search is near the U.S. Army Dugway Proving Ground, where military weapons are tested. He said Dugway Proving Ground officials warned West Valley City police to be careful when they conducted their investigation of the area during the winter and that volunteer searchers need to be aware of hazards.

"The potential for possible unexploded military ammunitions is higher than in other areas," McLachlan said.

Some Utahns, however, are still eager to help in the search.

Chris Willden, of Bountiful, contacted West Valley City police in December, shortly after Powell was reported missing, to ask if he could assist in any volunteer search. The Police Department said it wasn't organizing volunteer search parties, he said.

Willden's company, Strategic Tactical Group, will join others to hunt for Powell next month. Willden has participated in searches for a missing Uintah County Boy Scout and for 5-year-old Destiny Norton, a Salt Lake City girl found dead in her neighbor's home in 2006. He said he's hopeful volunteers may find Powell.

"We're trying to find closure for the family, or at least eliminate one place possible that law enforcement and family will have to worry about [searching]," said Willden, who will bring a trailer, pop-up tent for shelter, communication devices, first aid materials, four-wheelers and other search materials.

Bill Greenhalgh, who owns a Salt Lake City-area ATV service and repair business, has also organized a group of his friends to participate in the search. He said he has a friend with a ranch seven miles west of the area that volunteers will comb. He said he will bring GPS units, two-way radios and other equipment to head out into the west desert.

"I really care about people and that issues like this eat me up. I never quit thinking about this. I know the area fairly well and just hope we can help," Greenhalgh said.

"We will search. That's what we all do because we care. Not just me, millions of others as well. It all boils down to finding Susan. We need to do this for her, her family, her children, for all the other people who care," Greenhalgh said.

Shelby Gifford, a spokeswoman for Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, in Puyallup, Wash., said the family continues to appreciate the public's support.

"We are happy people want to help us search for Susan and hope anyone who chooses to participate will respect police guidelines and safety measures," Gifford wrote in an e-mail on Tuesday.

Maybe now that the snow is starting to melt, and in the Summer months to come..her body will be found. crying

Last edited by Wrapitup on Tue May 17, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:50 am

May God bless these volunteer searchers and keep them safe. I support and respect these people willing to risk their own safety to find Susan.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by laga Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 am

lindamarie wrote:May God bless these volunteer searchers and keep them safe. I support and respect these people willing to risk their own safety to find Susan.

I agree. I hope they find her soon and with enough evidence to arrest the murderer and get Susan's children to a safe and loving home. I think there is good reason, from what I have read, to be concerned about their safety.
laga
laga

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Cement strip found in desert

Post by Nama Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:36 am

Police received concerns about a cement strip found during a search for Susan Powell in the West Desert.

Police have received several tips on potential clues to Susan's disappearance since Demcember, but a body sized pouring of cement has some people wondering.

Linda Osbourne has been searching for clues of Susan's disappearance. She was out looking in the West Desert on February 16 when she found a concrete slab that measured to be about 7 feet long and 3 feet wide. She suspected the pouring could be covering a body.

Osbourne contacted West Valley City Police and the Tooele County Sheriff's Office in February. However, no one followed up on her findings at that time.

Friday, the Tooele County Sheriff's department sent a deputy out to locate and investigate the slab. At this time, investigators do not believe the cement strip is suspicious. However, they might be going back out soon to further investigate.

Currently Josh Powell, Susan's husband, remains the only person of interest in the case.

A volunteer ground search effort is scheduled for April 10 in the Simpson Spring Area.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:36 am

Now, why wouldn't they find this suspicious? :scratch:
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:50 am

In the desert. A strip of cement. Duh.
Get off yer asses and investigate, LE!
charminglane
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Tooele County Sheriff's office to take another look for cement strip

Post by Nama Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:38 pm

Friday Examiner.com reported a cement strip was seen in the Rowley area of Utah's West Desert. There were concerns the cement strip could be related to the Susan Cox Powell case. Susan went missing from her West Valley City home Dec. 6. Tooele County Sheriff's office went to investigate Friday but aren't sure what they saw was the cement strip in question.
Examiner.com received the tip from Linda Osbourne who has been out in the West Desert searching for clues into Susan Powell's disappearance since December.

Osbourne says she reported the cement strip to authorities in February. There was no confirmation it had been investigated. Examiner.com contacted both the West Valley City Police and the Tooele Sheriff's Department Friday to alert them of the cement strip, to find out if it had been investigated, and if not, suggesting it be investigated.

The responses Examiner.com received were:

West Valley City Police Capt. Tom McLachlan told Examiner.com Friday, "I passed the information along to investigators but I'm not sure who's handling it. We can't look here and there, it would be a dog and pony show. We can't check everything and report back to everyone, it would be counterproductive."

During a phone interview with Tooele County Sheriff Frank Parks he said he never saw the initial email sent to his department back in February with a description of the cement strip, photos, and a map. Once he was notified by Examiner.com he sent a deputy to investigate.

According to Ch. 4 a Tooele County Sheriff's deputy went out there Friday, determined he doesn't believe it is suspicious, but that the department might send someone out soon to further investigate:

Ch. 4 news:

"Friday, the Tooele County Sheriff's department sent a deputy out to locate and investigate the slab. At this time, investigators do not believe the cement strip is suspicious. However, they might be going back out soon to further investigate."

Examiner.com spoke with Tooele County Sheriff Sgt. Gowans Saturday morning who said, "The only thing the deputy could find yesterday, that even came close, was some cement someone cleaned out of their cement truck. It didn't really fit the description so we want to send someone back out there because we're not sure we're looking at the same thing."

Sgt. Gowans said he plans to further investigate because he believes they may not have found the cement strip in question. He said, "Someone, somewhere twisted our words. We did not say we found the cement strip, just that we found some cement, and that it doesn't exactly fit the description given by Osbourne."

On February 16 Osborne was out searching in Utah's West Desert. She stumbled upon a concrete strip about 7' long and about 2.5' to 3' wide. One area of the strip was wider than the other, appearing it could be covering a body, the wider area possibly the size of a person's shoulders.

The area where Osborne located the cement strip is off of Hwy 80 near the Skull Valley Road off ramp, There is an old abandoned gas station at Rowley Junction. The cement strip is down a dirt road off of Skull Valley Road at Rowley Junction about 500 to 750 feet from the abandoned gas station.

"This piece of cement is not something that was left behind from the abandoned station. It was clearly poured in its current location," Osborne said.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:31 pm

If YOU were going to dump a body, wouldn't YOU use SKULL VALLEY ROAD?
charminglane
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:56 am

omg :LE: better get out there and tear out that concrete. Skull Valley Road? That is creepy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:29 am

Well I guess it does make sense them not investigating. How could one mix and pour cement in those weather conditions? Plus didn't they examine his van a couple of times. Evidently no signs of cement there either.

I don't think he could have done that. Might be somebody else though?

I am suspecious of that strip club. I can see him leaving the boys in the van with the heater running.

He surely won't get hubby or daddy of the year..for sure.
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Does cement freeze as it is being mixed in weather like that.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:00 pm

CritterFan1 wrote:Does cement freeze as it is being mixed in weather like that.
I would think so but not sure.

A "dog and pony show"??? I think these cops are as bad as PCSO. The odds of him putting her in cement are slim but I still think it needs to be investigated.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 pm

He might have thrown Susan there the night of the "camping" trip and then came back later with that rental car to cover the body.
charminglane
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Missing woman’s father no longer believes son-in-law’s story

Post by Nama Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Susan Powell case: Missing woman’s father no longer believes son-in-law’s story

Susan Powell case: Missing woman’s father no longer believes son-in-law’s story
In December, Susan Powell went missing from her Utah home, and her whereabouts remain a mystery. Her father no longer believes the story his son-in-law, Josh Powell, has relayed regarding the night his daughter vanished.
Powell told police that he and his two young sons—ages 2 and 4—left for a camping trip around midnight on Dec. 6 in temperatures that fell below freezing. He claims that when the three returned to the family home the next day, Susan had vanished.
To see more photos of Susan and her family, click here.
Police have been unable to verify Powell’s story regarding the outing due to snow covering the camp site. Additionally, Susan’s purse and cell phone were found inside her home, which authorities found unusual. Hence, Police eventually named Powell a person of interest in the case.
In January, Powell moved he and his sons to Washington, despite the fact his wife was still missing.
Last week, Susan’s father, Chuck Cox, decided to investigate Simpson Springs, the campground that Powell claims to have taken his boys the night Susan disappeared.
“My daughter never would have let him out of the house with the kids that night to go camping,” Cox said.
KATU reports that Cox does not believe Powell could have entered the camp site driving a minivan with a front-wheel drive, due to the major snow storm that had hit the area at the time Powell claims to have made the camping trek.
Cox said “You get pulled into there, get stuck real easily in a car like this.” He spoke to a scout who had been camping on the weekend of Dec. 6, who said “I have never been in a camp that cold.”
After visiting the area, Cox said his doubts about Powell’s story were confirmed. “The only hard thing is thinking she could be out [there] somewhere… a place like this.”
Susan Powell is 28-years-old, 5-foot-3 inches tall and weighs about 130 pounds. She has brown hair and blue eyes. West Valley Police are urging anyone with information to call 801-840-4000.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Gee, it sure took the FIL long enough, didn't it?

And, BJ. You brought up a good point about the cement.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 am

Right Wrap. Your daughter, with no known enemies, goes missing. Aren't you going to scream from the rooftops that it's the husband with the wacky story in this day and age?
charminglane
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Tribune drops suit to see Susan Powell documents

Post by Wrapitup Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Courts » Sensitive investigation information cited.

By Nate Carlisle

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 03/24/2010 09:30:52 PM MDT

Search warrants discussing the investigation of the Susan Powell disappearance will remain closed.

An attorney for The Tribune on Tuesday withdrew the newspaper's lawsuit to open the warrants. An order, agreed to by the newspaper and attorneys representing law enforcement with the dismissal, says the warrants "include some detailed explanations of certain investigative techniques being used in this matter as well the thoughts and reactions of certain investigators regarding the developing evidence, some of which is not known to the public or involved persons."

The warrants also discuss witnesses who "could face a substantial risk of possible harm" if identified, the order states.

Since Powell went missing on Dec. 7, West Valley City police have served at least four search warrants, including on the Powell home and van and to take biological samples from her husband, Joshua Powell.

Search warrants and the written explanation for why police want them typically are public in Utah, but West Valley City police and the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office persuaded a judge to seal the Powell search warrants.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Tribune drops suit to see Susan Powell documents

Post by Nama Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:01 am

Search warrants discussing the investigation of the Susan Powell disappearance will remain closed.
An attorney for The Tribune on Tuesday withdrew the newspaper's lawsuit to open the warrants. An order, agreed to by the newspaper and attorneys representing law enforcement with the dismissal, says the warrants "include some detailed explanations of certain investigative techniques being used in this matter as well the thoughts and reactions of certain investigators regarding the developing evidence, some of which is not known to the public or involved persons."
The warrants also discuss witnesses who "could face a substantial risk of possible harm" if identified, the order states.
Since Powell went missing on Dec. 7, West Valley City police have served at least four search warrants, including on the Powell home and van and to take biological samples from her husband, Joshua Powell.
Search warrants and the written explanation for why police want them typically are public in Utah, but West Valley City police and the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office persuaded a judge to seal the Powell search warrants.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty How to dispose of a body?

Post by Nama Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:07 am

March 23, 2010 - Just as a group of volunteers are coordinating the first large volunteer-driven ground search effort for Susan Cox Powell, the 28-year old mom who's been missing for over three months, we learn that Josh Powell was talking about how one could dispose of a body in a mine shaft just a year before she went missing.

Susan Cox Powell, 28, went missing from her West Valley City home Dec. 6, 2009. Her husband is the last known person to see her around midnight when he claims she went to bed. He then says he took their kids, then ages 2 and 4, camping in the middle of the night during a winter snowstorm.

At a 2008 Christmas party Susan and Josh' friend told Brent Hunsaker of ABC 4 News in a video interview that Josh told him a mine shaft was the best way to dispose of a body. "Basically," the friend said, "it would be deep, it would go straight down, and for someone to find something down that it would literally be impossible."
A year later he said, "I didn't realize Susan Powell would go missing and that her body would not be found." That's what caused him to go to police.
"I can't believe I was having this discussion with him about this type of thing," the friend said. "I just couldn't believe it."

Captain Tom McLachlan of the West Valley Police Department said, "We have done a thorough search for the last three months both air, ground, and underground."

There are 1,000's of abandoned mines, according to state mining officials who said it's worse than finding a needle in a haystack.

McLachlan said, "If the mines were sealed and were not tampered with, we did not go in them. If they were not sealed, we searched them."

ABC 4 News Marcus Ortiz asked how deep did police go? The police won't say how deep they went. But, what they do say is their search for Susan Powell in abandoned mines as well as other areas isn't over.

First major volunteer ground search effort for Susan

The first major volunteer search effort in Susan's disappearance is scheduled April 10 and reportedly could bring as many as 2,000 people into the West Desert.

Brent Hunsaker of ABC 4 News reported that more concerns and more pressure are being put on organizers, and that those concerns are coming from the Bureau of Land Management, the Tooele County Sheriff's Department, and even the Cox family. "It all boils down to this," Hunsaker said. "The area to be searched is a long way from anywhere."

Simpson Springs is where Josh Powell said he was camping with his two young sons the night Susan disappeared. It's about a two hour drive from the Wasatch Front, a good part of it is on dirt roads through land controlled by the BLM.

The Bureau's concerns, Hunsaker said, are where are 500 cars going to park, if people come four to a car? That's assuming 2,000 people were to show up for the search.

In a place, he says, that can't handle a tenth of that number. What's more, he said, no vehicles will be allowed off-road. Examiner.com contacted the BLM. Click here to learn the potential hazards people could face and what precautions they can take in preparation for the search.

Chuck Cox, Susan's father, believes it could be dangerous and is not sure it's worth the risk. Sheriff Park said there's no chance the Tooele County Sheriff's Department will help organize the search. They will be there, they will be present, but he can't handle that kind of liability.

Organizers of the search say the number one concern they've heard from officials and Susan's family is for the safety of the searchers, the second concern is liability, as Sheriff Park pointed out.

Despite what officials are saying organizers of the April 10 ground search for Susan are still excited and believe they will find clues into Susan's disappearance. "Everyone's main concern is safety," said one of the organizers, Shawn Sorenson, "that's why organizers are seeking prepared individuals and experts."

"We have faith," Shawn said, "that we will find something before, during, or after the search. We are optimistic good will come from the search."

Organizers of the search will work with professionals and law enforcement to provide details to everyone searching on how to preserve evidence, should they find something they believe could be a clue into Susan's disappearance, or even of someone else who might have met their demise out in the West Desert.

"It's a way to bring everyone together that's wanted to do something for Susan," Shawn said. "This gives them that opportunity."

Organizers continue to receive tips from the public they believe will help in their search for clues.

People who have been searching for Susan, and who plan to search for Susan on April 10, have voiced their hope that West Valley Police will give them an indication of exactly where they've searched so that efforts are not duplicated.

Josh Powell remains the only person of interest in what police call a missing person’s case with suspicious criminal overtones.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by laga Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:09 am

This is a little confusing, does the person who would cause the harm not know the person/s witnessed something incriminating? I am anxious for an arrest here, because I am worried about the safety of those boys.
laga
laga

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Saturday, 04/03/10, Susan Powell search closed to public

Post by Wrapitup Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:29 pm

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 04/03/2010 05:49:32 PM MDT

The upcoming western Utah desert search for Susan Cox Powell, who disappeared Dec. 7 from her West Valley City home under suspicious circumstances, will be closed to the public, according to a news release from search organizers.

A group of Cache County residents announced last month plans to search Saturday for Powell in Utah's west desert. The search area will be near the region where Powell's husband, Joshua Powell, told police he went camping with the couple's two young boys the night his wife disappeared.

Volunteers were to have been organized into teams and assigned an area to search. However, search organizers in the news release, have decided not to invite members of the public to search for Powell.

The West Valley City Police Department and Tooele County Sheriff's Office have both said the area is dangerous and volunteer searchers may put themselves at risk going over an area already thoroughly investigated.

Search organizers stated in the release that Saturday's search will now be limited to trained professionals, and asked the public to stay away because of potential liability issues they might face.

The news release states that "Only professionally certified organizations with proper identification and pre-approval from the search organizers will be allowed to participate in the search."

I am just wondering if LE is not saying what they really think. That they believe they will find Susan's body where Josh states he went camping and are telling the public they cannot search due to liability.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:10 pm

It sounds like LE is afraid that the body and/or evidence will be found that they missed, making them look imcompetent...It looks like they would be more supportive of this effort, joining in and helping, instead of discouraging the searchers...
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:02 am

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Rts_Photo_Paula_Bunn_Sweden_Studios

April 7, 2010 - It's been four months ago today since Susan Cox Powell, 28, was reported missing and she is far from forgotten.
Her friends, family, and the 46,000+ people who have gotten to know and love Susan, will not rest until she is found and until justice is served. They will do this for Susan, and they will do this for Susan's children, Charlie, 5, and Braden, 3.

Below are comments her friends, family, and Facebook group members have shared on the Friends of Susan Powell Facebook group, the Where is Susan Powell Facebook group, and on the Service for Susan website. Some have known Susan for years, while some have never even met her:

From the Service for Susan Website:

This was written by Kirsii Hellewell, Susan's best friend:

Four months ago today, Susan Cox Powell disappeared from her home.

Her family and friend’s lives were shattered. We never believed this could happen to someone we know—especially Susan, a person who lights up people’s lives and makes everyone smile when she walks into a room. Everyone loves her.

We never believed it would drag on this long and that four months later, we still wouldn’t have answers or that Susan would still be missing.

But there’s still hope—hope that we will find her. We believe we will. We know the police are working day and night to bring her home, and that many thousands of kind and wonderful people the world over are praying and putting time, effort and money into finding her. As I write this, plans are in place to mount a large-scale ground search in Utah’s west desert this Saturday.

Today—both four months since Susan went missing and what would have been Susan’s 9-year wedding anniversary—I’d like to share a little bit about Susan and what kind of person she is. This comes from a church newsletter in Susan’s ward, written in November 2009, just one month before she disappeared. The ladies did an interview “Spotlight” on her as they often do with one or the other of the women in our ward to help everyone get to know each other better. Here it is:

Spotlight: Susan Powell

Susan is the third of four girls and was raised in western Washington state. She and Josh got married in 2001 and moved to Utah in 2004. She has two sons, Charlie and Braden.

Her favorite foods are Greek and Italian. Popcorn and spaghetti are like chocolate to her. Her food philosophy is “Cheese, peanut butter, ranch dressing or A-1 sauce makes anything taste good.”

Her favorites are: color = forest green, lavender/lilac purple; songs = “I Don’t Understand,” “Which Part is Mine” and “Celebrating the Light” by Michael McLean; books = anything murder/mystery, especially Mary Higgins Clark; movies = Enchanted, Get Smart, and most Disney movies.

Her hobbies are: crocheting, doing yard work, cleaning, doing hair, American Sign Language, yoga and pilates.

Her favorite places to go are Washington State to see her family and to be outside hiking and camping. She would love to go to Hawaii with her husband.

She is a licensed series 7 and 63 stockbroker, real estate agent and cosmetologist. She highly believes in saving money by growing a garden and becoming more self-sufficient with your food storage.

Thoughts shared on the Family and Friends of Susan Powell Facebook group:

Holly Stafford Wesley wrote Susan a poem:

We think of you today, but that is nothing new, we thought about you yesterday, and days before that, too. We think of you in silence, we often speak your name. All we have are memories and a picture in a frame. Your memory is a keepsake, from which we'll never part. God has an Angel to watch over you. We have you in our hearts!

Tina Anderson wrote:
"The thoughts of the season brought me back to thoughts of Susan. My prayers are with you all. I wish the searchers luck this coming weekend, and my heart aches for the loss that is being felt by all. God Bless, and with luck, bring Susan home."

Sonja Stewart wrote:
"Oh Susan. My heart still aches for you. Easter got me thinking of you and your boys. They didn't have Mommy to share in the joy and wonder of Easter and egg hunts. The purple bow still hangs where I can see it every day. Until you are brought home to the family and friends who love you so much it hurts, the ribbon will hang for you. Much love to Susan's family and friends. Again and again I will shed a tear for all of you."

Kristin Rothwell Payne wrote:
"Praying for new information to come to light this weekend. For those searching, please be careful. For those praying, don't give up. For those hoping, keep the faith."
Glenda Ryser wrote:

"Somehow it just doesn't seem like 4 months have passed. Although I don't personally know Susan, I feel sadness in my heart that she's still not been found. God bless her precious baby boys who I KNOW are missing their mommy and asking daddy where she is! … My heart breaks for those tiny boys! I'm confused, as I know we all are. God bless Susan... Father God, show us.... show us...."

Thoughts shared on the Where is Susan Powell Facebook group:

Lorren Kelly wrote:
"Whoever is responsible for Susan going missing should know that she has never left her friends, her boys, her family and other loved ones. Each and every one of us has Susan in our hearts and she will remain there."

"Susan hasn't been seen since Dec 7th, but since then her beautiful smile has shone for so many people," Kelly said. "Susan is missing but not forgotten. She will always be around, everyday in her boys. She cannot just be erased.

Kate Bower wrote:
"Susan has touched the lives of thousands all around the world...we won't let her be forgotten. We will find her and bring her home, we will ensure her precious boys know the truth as they grow and we won't let who ever harmed her get away with it!!!"
Linda Blair wrote:

"How is it that we can miss her so much and we didn't know her? I feel that is is part of my very extended family. I see her smile and feel her laughter and warmth....Susan come back to us...."
Debbie Caldwell wrote:
I know one day we will all look back and some how understand this better. It's the time between now and then that is driving me crazy. It's going to be a warm weekend here so My hubby and I are going to go look some more up by where Susan worked to see if we can get any clues to where she might be. We are trying to rule out all our theories and some of yours. The problem is the needle in the haystack. I'm counting on everyone getting out this year and enjoying the great out doors. ;)"
Linda Osborne wrote of the search on Saturday:
"It's great to hear about the powered parachutes! There are some ravines that are very difficult to access on foot. If any are equiped with video it would be that much better as things could be later viewed on high resolution monitors. Although this search effort has had is ups and downs, I'm very optimistic and hope there will be many more searches after this one."
Caryn Macquet Fortune wrote:
"Susan gave Josh the deadline of April 6th to turn his behavior around and start making their marriage something worth fighting for. This is their wedding anniversary, if I remember correctly. How I wish we could find her in time for her to keep this deadline. Even if we don't find her by tomorrow, I believe we'll find ...her very soon. And Susan WILL have the last word. She deserves at least that. And, finally, her precious sons will get the love and care that they, too, so deserve."
Linda Blair wrote:

"I wonder if he [Josh] will talk to the kids and explain that it's their wedding (his & Susan's) anniversary....or will it just be another day without their mother...sooo sad....does anyone know what's going on with the boys. Have they had any contact with Susan's parents....I thought of those boys when I was donating the beanie babies in Susan's name and what a comfort that something as small as that can make a child smile when something bad is happening...."
April Steelman wrote:
Saw on Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook group where someone saw Josh, his Dad and the boys on an Easter egg hunt yesterday. Funny they can go searching for colored eggs.... ..just wondering how they've justified to those kids the importance of looking for those eggs and not their Mom...."
Few details of the case:

Susan Cox Powell, 28, went missing from her West Valley City home Dec. 6. Her husband, Josh Powell, is the last known person to see her when she went to bed at midnight. He told police and media that just after Susan went to bed he took their two young sons, then ages 2 and 4, on an overnight camping trip.

It was snowing that night and temperatures were subfreezing. He claims he forgot what day it was and that he went camping because he and his boys liked to do S'Mores. He said when he returned the following day his wife had disappeared and he didn't know where she was.

His story has been largely criticized and disbelieved.

Josh Powell is the only person of interest in what police call a missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:18 am

Thanks for the updates, BJ! It's good to hear that Susan is still being remembered & looked for. It sounds like she had a lot of friends & family that thought very highly of her!

Now that Spring is here, I am quite confident that her body will be found. Although, learning that Josh was talking about disposing of a body in an abandoned mine makes me wonder if that is what he did with her... and if so, would LE be able to find her body?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Was Josh Powell in a strip club the day his wife, Susan Cox Powell, went missing?

Post by Nama Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:55 am

April 8, 2010 - News Josh Powell was at a strip club the day his wife, Susan Cox Powell, was reported missing on Dec. 7 was discounted by police late in January. Is there something more to this story than the public knows?

Levi Page, host of the Levi Page Show on Blog Talk Radio, covers the most explosive true crime stories making headlines and the crimes the mainstream media ignore.

In late January Levi hosted a show about Susan and invited a panel of experts to discuss the Susan Powell missing person's case and why people question the actions of Susan's husband, Joshua "Josh" Powell. Click here for full transcript of the show.

Now Levi posted on his Facebook page, "The husband of missing Utah mother Susan Powell attended a strip club, drank beer and watched nude dancers while police engaged in a desperate search for his wife! Is this the slam dunk police need to arrest Joshua Powell? Are police close to finding Susan? Tune in Sunday night at 10 PM EST for the latest: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Joining Levi Sunday will be Tricia Griffith, moderator of Websleuths and Forums for Justice, crime forums where people follow true crime cases; defense attorney, Raymond Giudice, criminal defense attorney and former prosecutor and regular guest on the Nancy Grace Show; and former prosecutor, Holly Hughes

Rydell Mitchell, owner of "Duces Wild", the Salt Lake City strip club Levi is referring to, told Examiner.com in January that police did not request receipts to determine if Josh Powell paid with a debit or credit card when Josh allegedly visited their club the afternoon of Dec. 7.

So, what really happened at Duces Wild the day Susan was reported missing?

Kimberly, co-owner of Duces Wild, told Examiner.com Thursday, "There are just too many conflicting stories of people who thought they saw Josh Powell in our bar."

"There were two people who saw the same person and said very different things," Kimberly said. "One said yes, it was definitely Josh, but the other person said no, it was definitely not Josh. And our bartender first thought it was him but then looked at other pictures and wasn't sure. All of that leads me to believe it probably wasn't Josh Powell."

"There's a fellow that comes in now and then and he looks an awful lot like Josh Powell. He wears a knit cap that's dark grey with blue and that looks a lot like the cap I saw Josh wearing on the news. It's definitely not Josh, but he does look like him," Kimberly said.

"I bet," Kimberly said, "They saw that guy and thought it was Josh. The next time I see him, if he comes in again, I'm going to ask him if he was here that day and if he acted like a jerk."

"I'd be happy to learn someone really saw Josh here and could definitely identify him, if it would help the case. But, unless someone comes forward and says they know it was Josh here that day, then I don't believe it was," Kimberly said. "There are just too many conflicting stories."

Kimberly said they did have security cameras in place the day Josh Powell was reported as being in their bar but that their equipment holds only so much memory. Unless they save what's been videotaped it automatically erases after seven days - which is what happened in this case.
According to KSL.com, one witness calling himself Sherman recognized Powell on the news, particularly because he says the man in the bar was wearing the same knit hat Powell had worn in several TV appearances.

He then said, "It was exactly a week after Josh was in the bar that a West Valley City detective showed up at the bar. By the time the patron told police and police contacted me, the video had already self-deleted."

"We hadn't thought to record the information until police showed up," Mitchell said. "By that time, it was too late."

KSL reported Bartender Liz Burkholder identified Josh in several photos from police and said Josh tried making advances toward her and took her picture. Then he was rude and vulgar when she declined.

"He wanted me to come over and bend down so he could see my boobs, kept telling me I had a nice [behind], telling me to come down there, he wouldn't hurt me, bend over," Burkholder said in an exclusive interview with KSL Newsradio. "At first it was advances, and then when I wouldn't go back down there it was just rude and vulgar… It was embarrassing because that's not normal -- even in a strip club. I stayed away from him as much as possible."

Background

Initially it was believed the entire family, Josh, Susan, and their two young sons, were missing when neither Josh nor Susan called in to work and didn't drop the kids off to daycare on Monday, Dec. 7.

When no one answered the door at the Powell residence family, friends, and police believed the family may have succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Police broke into the home and found Susan's purse and keys in the home, two box-style fans aimed at a wet spot on the carpet, and the family mini-van gone from the garage.

Friends and family then surmised that the family may have gone for a drive and had possibly been involved in a car accident. Police issued an "attempt to locate" on the van.

Family and friends continued trying to reach the Powells throughout the day, leaving messages on their cell phones.

Finally, at 4:48 p.m. Jennifer Graves, Josh's sister, received a call from Josh. When she realized Susan was not with Josh, she informed him Susan was missing. While Josh said he was in town it took him nearly an hour to get home.

Josh arrived at the house around 6 p.m. and was greeted by police.

Witnesses claim they saw Josh at the bar from about 2:30 p.m. to approximately 5 p.m. that afternoon.

But friends say they've never seen Josh drink and that Susan never told them he drank or attended strip bars. They believe she would have said something.
Just weeks after Susan went missing Josh traveled to Puyallup, Wash., to visit family for the holidays. He never returned the children to their home in Utah and the only support system they knew.
Instead, within weeks of traveling to Washington he went back to Utah, packed all of the family belongings with the help of his friends, and moved back to his hometown of Puyallup.
He is now living in his father's home in a gated community. He and his two young sons live with his father, Steven Powell, two brothers, and a sister. He and his siblings are all over 24 and are all unemployed, according to Josh's sister, Jennifer.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Day-long search for Susan Powell turns up nothing

By Christopher Smart
The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 04/10/2010 06:01:44 PM MDT

They came with ultralight aircraft, dogs, ATVs and old-fashioned shoe leather, but after a day-long search Saturday along the old Pony Express Trail near the Simpson Mountains, 28-year-old Susan Cox Powell remains missing.

Dozens of volunteers combed through an area between the Davis Mountains and the Slow Elk Hills southeast of the Dugway Proving Ground's artillery and bombing range for the mother of two who was reported missing Dec. 7. Her husband, Josh Powell, said he took the couple's two young sons camping Dec. 6 at the Simpson Spring's Campground about 25 miles west of Vernon in remote Tooele County.

Joshua Powell told authorities he left his wife at their West Valley City home. She has not been seen since. Powell is the only "person of interest" in the case, according to the West Valley Police Department, which already had searched the Simpson Spring's area.

Kiirsi Hellewell, a close friend of Susan Powell's, acknowledged the hard work of the West Valley City police Saturday.

"But this is something we can see," she said of Saturday's effort. "Today, it's so heartwarming to see so many people come out here and help us."

Shelby Gifford, a spokeswoman for the Cox family,also praised the volunteers.

"It's gratifying to see so many give their time in our quest to find Susan and what happened to her."

"This is like a needle in a haystack because they have so little idea where she might be," he said. "But this [search] will alleviate some concerns for those who think she could be here. And you never know."

The tranquil campground looks out across the vastness of Utah's West Desert as it stretches westward to the Dugway Mountains and beyond to the Deep Creek Mountains that straddle the Utah-Nevada line.

The search, however, was restricted to an area less than 10 square miles.

Kent Price of Eagle Mountain was among a group of pilots who fly "power parachutes," ultralight aircraft that can skim just feet off the ground at about 25 mph.

His group, unofficially called the Cedar Pass Air Force, has volunteered on several search-and-rescue missions.

"We can fly very low and very slow and plop down just about anywhere," he said.

Don Despain, Fountain Green, was among the Cedar Pass group of seven pilots who were flying grids along the Simpson Mountains.

"We don't scar up the land," he said. "And we can cover a lot of area."

But the expanse in question is huge and after four months in the wild, any human remains would be difficult to identify, even up close.

That is why folks like Kurt Hadfield and his 3-year-old German shepherd, Kaiser, volunteered. The pair, affiliated with Ogden's Great Basin Search & Rescue, are trained to identify human remains, among other things.

"A dog's nose is 1,000 times more sensitive than a human nose," Hadfield said.

Among the 60-or-so volunteers were a dozen who accompanied Fire Chief Jon Watkins from the Bridgerland Fire Company in Logan.

They walked search grids along the old Pony Express trail, looking under brush and behind rocks.

"If it was my family, I would like to see this kind of support," Watkins said of the volunteer search. "It's nice to see this many people come out on their day off and look out for someone they don't know."

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:02 pm

I'm glad to hear they are searching, although it is disappointing that they haven't found her yet. I wonder if they searched any mine shafts? It seems to me that would be a good place to look, seeing as the main suspect (Josh Powell) spoke about disposing of a body in a mine shaft! :idk:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Susan Powell's parents finally see their grandkids

Post by Nama Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:05 am

Chuck and Judy Cox, the parents of Susan Cox Powell who disappeared from her West Valley home in early December of last year, had a wonderful visit with their grandkids on Saturday in a Puyallup park. It was the first visit they’d been able to arrange with Josh in more than 3 months.

(They’d had a couple chance encounters with them around town, but nothing where they could spend quality time with the boys.)

Shelby said Josh was there and was … well … Josh.

Also there was Josh’s father, Steve, who was taking pictures of the Cox grandparents with Charlie and Braden.

That must have been awkward – kind of like being at Disneyland. You can’t just enjoy the experience; it has to be documented on digital media. And in this case, the photos were being snapped by someone who hasn’t shown any sympathy with what’s happened; the mother of those two boys has been missing now for more than 4 months.

I hope I am wrong about this. I am just wondering out loud here. Do you think those photos could … somehow … end up on the Internet? They could be used as “proof” that Josh is being a good guy and letting his kids see their maternal grandparents – even though there is no law that forces him to allow visitation.

If the pictures do show up on a certain website, that would be another kind of proof – proof of who is behind that website. (Like we don’t already know.)

I admit that in the past I have been critical of Josh and his apparent willingness to use visitation as a tool to punish the Cox grandparents.

After all, back in January, the Cox family started turning up the heat on Josh by publicly challenging their son-in-law to step up and cooperate fully with the West Valley Police. Then in early February, the gloves really came off when they accused Josh of being an abusive husband – emotionally, psychologically and at least on one occasion, physically.

I hope yesterday’s visit for Chuck and Judy was just the first of many, frequent visits with their grandkids.

I hope … it wasn’t a one-time “photo op.”

[url=Susan Powell's parents finally see their grandkids]Susan Powell's parents finally see their grandkids[/url]
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:17 am

It would be so hard to be the least bit civil to this man that they know killed their beloved daughter, but I guess they feel that they must do it for their grandsons...I hope that when he is arrested (hopefully!) the children don't land up in the hands of his father, which I am afraid is what will happen...I think I remember reading that he is not a very nice person...
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamaree44 Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 am

I would hope the courts would not allow Josh's father custody.

lisamaree44

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 pm

I am shocked Josh has not already been arrested. This is turning into the Haleigh Cummings scenario.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Since he has established a "home" there with his father, the courts may be reluctant to uproot the children if that is what the biological father requests...The Coxes (or other relatives) would probably have to bring a case with evidence that his father should not be granted custody in order to get the court to overrule any request.. :idk:
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Susan Cox Powell's case growing cold?

Post by Wrapitup Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:13 am

In Susan's case there has been nothing new from police in months. From the public's perspective this appears to be turning into a cold case.

Examiner.com spoke with West Valley City detectives over the past two weeks who indicated this case is anything but cold.

Those closest to Susan don't believe for a moment the case has gone cold.

Chuck Cox, Susan's father, posted a comment on the Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook wall Saturday that read, "As each day goes by we pray that Susan will be found. I know the search continues, and am confident that eventually Susan will be found. I am also thankful for the ongoing effort of Law Enforcement,they continue to be dedicated to finding Susan and solving this case."

"The police are working very hard and that hasn't changed," Kiirsi Hellewell, Susan's best friend, told Examiner.com via text message Friday. "They haven't slacked off one bit and are more determined than ever to solve this case, find Susan, and see that justice is served."

Shelby Gifford, spokesperson for Susan's family, told Examiner.com in a telephone interview Friday, "I don't believe this is a cold case. We're extremely confident that although it takes more time than we'd like, or than we'd hope, we have a lot of confidence that we'll know what happened to Susan and that the person responsible will one day face the music."

A source that wishes to remain anonymous told Examiner.com, "The only thing that's gone cold in this case is Josh's heart."

On April 10 a group of professionals combed an area of Simpson Springs where Susan's husband claimed he camped the night Susan went missing. Police, too, said they have extensively searched the area by air, ground, and underground.

According to searchers involved in other missing persons cases, combing an area after police have searched is not uncommon and is warranted, as additional clues can and have been found.

Evidence was collected during the April 10 search and given to police. However, police have confirmed the evidence was not related to Susan's case.

On April 12 the National Enquirer reported a 'bombshell development' in the case - Susan's child, they say, told police "Mommy's in a mine looking for crystals." Around the same time that information was released an anonymous source told ABC 4 that Josh once said if he ever had to dispose of a body, he would do so in a mine. (See slideshow below for National Enquirer article).

West Valley Police detectives were not able to be reached Friday for comment.

Examiner.com received the same information in February about the child stating his mommy was in a mine looking for crystals. David Wright, writer for The National Enquirer, confirmed the same person, who wished to remain anonymous, also contacted him.

She told Examiner.com in an email that she believed the information was presented to police. She also said she believed releasing the information to police could hinder the investigation.

The informant told Examiner.com the information came from someone she knew but said she had no way of verifying who heard the child say this, and that it was her understanding it came from an inside source, someone 'bound by duty' to not repeat it for the sake of the case.

The question is, if information like this was given to police by a 4-year old child, would police release that information? How would anyone other than police know if the child did, indeed, talk about his mommy being in a mine?

Considering how tight-lipped the West Valley Police Department has been, protecting the integrity of the case, it is difficult for those close to Susan's case to believe police would have shared that information.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:21 am

God bless the little children!
charminglane
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Susan Cox Powell update: Is Josh Powell making a mockery of his missing wife?

Post by Nama Thu May 27, 2010 3:17 am

Is Josh Powell making a mockery of his missing wife, Susan Cox Powell? The public seems to think so.
It is believed Josh Powell, the only person of interest in his wife's disappearance, created the controversial [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] website. This week he has added another page to the site, "Volcano Week", where he shows photos of his sons and talks about a trip they recently took to visit Mt. St. Helens.

Earlier this month friends, family, and the public reacted with disappointment, anger, and disgust over the Mother’s Day sentiments Josh had added to the site. The first response on the Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook page read, “Where’s the barf bucket?”

It was believed that Josh was alluding that Susan could somehow see what he was writing and could that she could come home.

Shelby Gifford, spokeswoman for Susan's family said, "We have said from the beginning that Susan would NEVER walk away from her boys voluntarily."

"The notion that she can choose to 'come home soon' or view the photos of her boys online is outrageous," she said. "If this was about Susan's choice, she would have never chosen to be separated from her boys in the first place."

New “Volcano Week” page

Once again people are disappointed, upset, and outraged at Josh Powell’s actions.

The first line of the new “Volcano Week” page reads: “As promised, here is another day in the life of Susan’s loving family.”

The question raised is, “Who has Josh promised to share days of Susan’s children’s lives with?”

People say Josh is trying to make himself sound like father-of-the-year when in reality Susan’s friends and family have shared that he did not do much to help out with the kids before Susan disappeared.

For example, Susan's good friend and daycare provider before Susan went missing, Debbie Caldwell, told Examiner.com that Josh undermined Susan's parenting and at times refused to help her with the children. (Click here).

People are also outraged that Josh would talk about “Grandpa Steve” and how happy he is to be greeted by his grandkids. Josh moved to his father's Puyallup, Washington home about a month after Susan went missing.
Susan’s own parents have barely been allowed to visit with the children.

Susan’s close friends and family have shared that Susan was not comfortable around Steven and that she did not want her children in his home. For Josh to make these statements, some believe, is a mockery to Susan and her family.

Josh's own sister, Jennifer Graves, said she does not believe her father's home is an emotionally stable environment for the boys.

Responses to new Volcano page

Below are thoughts from people on the Susan Powell Facebook sites.

Caty D. posted: “Who is writing this stuff? Seriously, again it feels like a mockery to me and I fell angry that Susan’s name is even in the article. Just leave her out of it next time! None of this is done for her and we know it! ‘It warms my heart???’ Let me tell Grandpa Steve something that would warm MY heart ……”

Anne W. posted: “Grandpa Steve commented, “’It warms my heart to come home from work and be greeted at the door by two beautiful and affectionate little boys, who want to show Grandpa what they learned or built with their daddy.’ Seriously? This sounds to me like it was written by some PR hack. I'm disgusted and saddened all over again.”

Terri S. posted: "GRANDPA STEVE???? My stomach is churning!! jp [Josh Powell] is doing nothing but trying to build a defense for himself and to prove to the courts that the boys really love spending time with Grandpa Steve. What a miserable excuse for a human being! Josh...those boys are smart and one day they will start to ask questions you and 'grandpa' aren't going to want to answer. They will hate you for taking their precious mother away from them.This is a stretch of the imagination, but be a man..tell the truth for everyone's sake."

Allison H. posted: "I can safely assume that the Powell's in Puyallup, read these posts. I pray they read them and that possibly, they see that everyone knows this is a sick game they are playing as far as that website goes. Those boys will know, as they grow older and access computers and Google, that this all happened and that all these people who really loved their mother, fought to protect them and to get justice for their mother. They will learn of the deception their father has created and the lies and lack of cooperation with investigators and will learn the truth that Susan did not leave them on her own, as I feel the father's family has told the boys. This game won't last for long. It's just a matter of a few years before the boys can get online on there own and read massive page after page of articles and news footage when they Google their mom's name, on this case and about their father. Even if Susan is found or not. "

Anne M.R. posted: “What does any of this have to do with Susan?? Is Susan supposed to be happy that Josh has taken the boys to live somewhere she didn't want them, with people she couldn't stand and didn't trust, and have Josh spend his time teaching his kids in detail about volcanoes instead of looking for HER? He is such an idiot!”

She continued, “I am just sick about this entire case. Something has got to happen here soon. What is happening is just so wrong! Why should this sicko man be allowed to take Susan's children to a sicko house and raise them in a sicko way? One day of this was too much, 6 months is just inexcusable.”

Linda B. posted: “He is SICK. Did he look under the volcano … if not what has this got to do with Susan? I guess he is bored with no job … How about looking for your wife and the mother of your children …. What is he saying to these poor children about their mother?? I’m sorry, but he is making a total a** out of himself …”

April S. posted: “YEA...DON'T mention that it's been six months that your wife has been "missing". Just proceed as if nothing has happened. He is so stupid. And when is he getting a job? I guess with no one around to have expectations of him it’s like a big vacation. Loser.”

Glenda R. posted: "I find it a bit peculiar that (1) he has all this money to take trips but not to help aid in Susan's searches; (2) that the little boy made a "volcano." I'm sure it is perfectly innocent but for those of us who want answers, what if it represents what he saw his daddy doing the night Susan went missing and this is yet another of Mr Powell's clever ways to cover up what they may have seen 6 months ago and (3) mostly how that grandfather can be so "happy" when his little grandchildren must be so sadly hurting wanting to see their mommy!!!!! .... just my thoughts.... nothing else.... We love and pray for Susan and all involved!"

Lori W. W. posted: “I'm speechless.....”

Amber H. posted: “Umm yeah.. if you were wondering about Josh's personality.. it's all over that web site.. Who wrote that you ask? A father of two with no job, and no will to search for his wife.

Caryn M.F. posted: “His website is so transparent of his motives. One has to wonder if he really is all that clued up, or if he's brazen enough to show the world how he just doesn't care. I sway between those two possibilities.”

Ashley F. posted: I’m glad jp [Josh Powell] can celebrate volcanoes while his wife is missing...maybe he is trying to give the boys some good memories of himself before he gets locked away...hopefully that day will come sooner than later...and if jp didnt do anything to susan, he should be locked away for not looking for her..jmo..”

Linda O. posted: “Well, Josh seems to be enjoying his LIFE. Notice how long it takes him to come up with something positive he has done with the boys. Not sure if this stuff is created by his defense attorney or a family law attorney.”

Se C. posted: “Assuming that Josh is the creator of this hideous piece of work, it seems like he is again taunting and mocking Susan's friends and family, particularly the Coxes. He's celebrating as he reminds everyone that he alone has custody of HIS boys, and that he and the boys are moving on with their lives without Susan. Susan is just a memory, a two-dimensional apparition that shows up once in a while on posters and in the press.”

“Good to know that Gramps actually leaves the house once in a while. I was under the impression that he stayed home pulling strings and telling people what to say, like some kind of creepy ventriloquist puppetmaster.”

“For what it's worth (not much, I realize), I think that this website might be a collaboration between SP [Steven Powell] and JP [Josh Powell]. They're two P's in a pod. Two very bad seeds.”

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Thu May 27, 2010 10:05 am

I am terrified that this "Grandpa Steve" will get custody of these two boys WHEN Josh Powell is arrested...He is setting everything up for that...And could the Coxes wage a successful custody battle if that is the biological father's wishes? Those poor children...my heart breaks for them!
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Where is Susan Powell? Her father-in-law thinks she’s having a fling, hopes she’ll land on her feet

Post by Wrapitup Sun May 30, 2010 7:52 pm

May 30, 3:15 PMSeattle Headlines ExaminerIsabelle Zehnder

May 28, 2010 - Susan Cox Powell went missing nearly six months ago and her father-in-law says he thinks she may have left for “a fling or respite,” and hopes she, his son, and their two kids will land on their feet.

Reports have streamed in for nearly six months indicating Susan would never leave her two kids, that "someone" is responsible for her disappearance, and that the only person they believe can help police, her husband, Josh Powell, has moved away. Police have repeatedly stated Josh will not cooperate with them.

Examiner.com has offered Susan's husband, Josh Powell, and her father-in-law, Steven Powell, via email and in person, the opportunity to share their side of the story. They declined.

In the Jun 7 issue of PEOPLE magazine, Steven Powell, aka Steven Chantrey, Susan’s father-in-law, suggested Susan Cox Powell, the 28-year-old missing West Valley City mom, may have left for a fling and inferred she may have needed a break and that’s possibly why she left. He wonders why police haven’t looked at other suspects.

Debbie Caldwell, who provided childcare for the Powell's before Susan disappeared, said Susan made it clear to her husband she did not feel comfortable around his father, Steven, and that she never wanted the children left alone in his care. She also said she never wanted her boys left alone with Josh's brother.

Even Susan's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, are not comfortable in Steven's home.

From what PEOPLE has reported, Steven believes Susan is still alive somewhere and has the option of coming home.

In the lower section of page 92 of the June 7 PEOPLE issue, under the heading "Who is Josh Powell?" Steven told PEOPLE his son is doing the right thing: “He [Josh] needs support … to make sure he [Josh], Susan, and the boys land on their feet.”

Interestingly, most people don’t believe Susan has the luxury of landing on her feet or has the ability to come home.

Josh’s father if one of very few people who have publicly stated that Susan may be off with some other man having a fling, or that she just needed a break from life and walked away from her two beautiful sons who she devoted her life to.

One of Josh’s friends, who has been vocal on Josh’s behalf, has alluded to that possibility as well, even though for the past six months his friend Josh has remained the only person of interest in what police call a missing person’s case with suspicious criminal overtones.

Controlling husband

As the six month mark of Susan’s disappearance draws near the majority of people commenting about Susan’s case believe she was murdered by her husband.

Of course no one wants to believe it but after six months of hearing how Susan’s husband reportedly controlled every aspect of her life, down to selling her car, taking away her keys so she couldn’t drive the family minivan, restricting the amount of groceries she bought for her children, restricting her ability to purchase personal products for herself, changing PIN numbers so she would not have access to the couple’s funds even though she was the one who brought in the bulk of the money, sabotaging her parenting efforts, and the list goes on, it’s no wonder.

That coupled with the story he told police and media and that virtually no one believes. He said he took his two young boys, then ages 2 and 4, on an impromptu camping trip just after midnight in subfreezing weather during a Utah snowstorm. He said he and his two young sons slept in the family minivan. When he returned the next day he claimed he forgot what day it was, that’s why he hadn’t called in to work, and had no idea where his wife was.

The only person who seems to think his story is plausible is his father, Steven.

Tim Petersen, a friend of the Powell family, told KSL, “He's [Josh] kind of in charge. He's in charge of everything: in charge of the computer, in charge of the house, in charge of the kids, in charge of her.” He told KSL Susan had told him if things didn’t get better by spring she’d leave her husband. He hoped that had nothing to do with her disappearance.

Susan would not leave

People closest to Susan have repeatedly said, for nearly six months, that Susan would not leave her children.

Kiirsi Hellewell, Susan’s best friend, said "She [Susan] wouldn't leave, and I don't know how to tell people that enough. She would not leave her children, and she wouldn't leave without letting her family know."

Susan’s father, Chuck Cox, said, “She is a very loving mother and would not leave her children for a moment … she would never leave those two children behind.”

Shelby Gifford, spokeswoman for Susan’s family, said, “We have said from the beginning that Susan would NEVER walk away from her boys voluntarily.”

Early on statements were made by frantic friends and family members that they didn’t think Josh would do anything to hurt Susan.

But over time, and after sharing what they individually knew about Susan’s marital issues, the family announced during a February press conference that Susan was a victim of domestic abuse in her home.

They again said Susan would never leave her children willingly and though they could not say what role Josh played in her disappearance, they could say without reservation that Susan was a victim of domestic abuse in her own home. They shared their frustration over Josh’s refusal to speak with police.

Gifford said during the February 15 press conference that Susan endured a difficult marriage and an adversarial relationship with her husband, Josh.

She said that during the two months since Susan had disappeared many family and friends had come together to share their grief and support one another.

They had the opportunity to compare notes and in doing so they discovered that collectively they knew more than any of them knew individually about Susan’s daily struggles in her marriage and her plans for the future.

“Each of us had a small sliver of the whole picture. When we began to put those pieces together,” Gifford said, “it became apparent to us that Susan endured a difficult marriage and an adversarial relationship with her husband, Joshua.”

Susan did not want to worry her parents and shared little with them. She wanted to work on her marriage and signed up for marriage counseling. Gifford said she attend most of those sessions alone.

Gifford said that Josh was verbally, emotionally, and even physically abusive to Susan.

Police interview

According to the June 7 issue of PEOPLE, Steven Powell said he supports his son’s decision to leave Utah and come live with him in Puyallup, Washington, Josh and Susan’s hometown. Josh moved the children to Puyallup before Christmas and then packed up the house and moved all of their belongings the first week of January. Less than one month after Susan disappeared.

Most people have been appalled he would leave so quickly, and that he did not help police or the public in the search for Susan.

Steven told PEOPLE that Josh had a conversation with police the night after Susan disappeared, and that, “The ‘interview’ turned into a marathon interrogation of about 10 hours. He told them everything he knew.”

However, an anonymous source told Examiner.com that neighbors watched as Josh arrive at his home between 5 and 6 p.m. the day Susan was reported missing.

He had allegedly been camping with his boys in the West Utah desert. He claimed he last saw Susan the night before, around midnight, and left to go camping at around 12:30 a.m.

When he returned home between 5 and 6 p.m. the following evening, Dec. 7, police were there waiting for him. They had already suspected foul play when they saw two large fans aimed at a wet spot on the carpet and Susan's purse and keys in her bedroom and wanted to take Josh in for questioning.

Josh, police, and the two children, Charlie and Braden, left shortly after Josh and the boys returned home.

Josh's neighbors contacted Examiner.com's source around 9:30 p.m. that evening and said Josh, the children, and police all returned to the house shortly after 9 p.m.

According to neighbors, police went into the house for a few moments with Josh and the kids. They said police then came out of the house and drove away, leaving Josh and the children alone all night.

Few details of Susan's case

Susan Cox Powell, 28, went missing from her West Valley City home Dec. 6. Her husband, Josh Powell, is the last known person to see her when she went to bed at midnight. He told police and media that just after Susan went to bed he took their two young sons, then ages 2 and 4, on an overnight camping trip.

It was snowing that night and temperatures were subfreezing. He claims he forgot what day it was and that he went camping because he and his boys liked to do S'Mores. He said when he returned the following day his wife had disappeared and he didn't know where she was.

Less that a month after Susan went missing Josh moved their two young sons away from the only support system they knew and into Josh's father's home in Puyallup, Washington.

Josh Powell is the only person of interest in what police call a missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones.

please click here for more links [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Josh Powell and his family are working to find his missing wife, Susan Powell, according to Josh’s father, Steve Powell.

Post by Nama Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Josh Powell and his family are working to find his missing wife, Susan Powell, according to Josh’s father, Steve Powell.

Josh, 34, alleges that the December night his wife disappeared he and his two young sons—ages 2 and 4—were on a camping trip in freezing cold temperatures. He claims they slept in a minivan and that when they returned to their West Valley City, Utah home the next day, Susan, 28, was gone.

Steve emailed The Salt Lake Tribune claiming Susan may have left her family willingly, stating, “Some credible insiders involved in the investigation have stated to us that they believe she is alive and may have left of her own accord.”

Steve claims Josh and his family have been in contact with several different law enforcement agencies, but would go into detail as to which agencies he was referring. “The agencies we are working with don’t want or need the publicity,” he wrote.

The Tribune notes that West Valley City Police Captain Tom McLachlan said last week that he was unaware of the agencies with which Josh and his family may have worked, but added “I guess you can say he’s talked to us.”

According to the Tribune, the Web site SusanPowell.org was launched by Josh’s family and refers to him as a “loving father and husband.” Steve said the site “belongs to us, and a number of friends and family members have contributed.”

Just over a month after his wife disappeared, Josh moved with his children to Puyallup, Washington, his hometown.

The kids are now 3- and 5-years-old and according to Steve his grandchildren “…are very happy and well-adjusted, although they miss their mother… They know their mommy and daddy both love them.”

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Susan Cox Powell: Friends, family, and supporters speak out about new web page "Six Months"

Post by Nama Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:13 pm

June 5, 2010 - Monday will be the six-month mark of Susan Cox Powell's disappearance. Her husband, Josh Powell, or someone close to him, is rubbing salt into an already very deep wound by adding new content to their already highly controversial website, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The new page cuts to the core of some of those closest to Susan with comments such as "Everyone hopes she will walk back through the door soon," and that Josh and Susan's children are investigating "Christianity as an alternative to Mormonism," something those closest to Susan say she would not have wanted.
The website talks about Susan like she left of her own free will, when most people believe he had something to do with her disappearance.

Now Susan's friends, family, and supporters want their voices heard on how they feel about the website.

Something special about Susan
There's something special about Susan - so special, in fact, that over 46,000 people follow the Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook page. Not only is she so deeply loved by her family, friends, fellow employees, fellow churchgoers, and everyone else who knew her, she has won the hearts of so many who never even met her.

Below are comments from people around the world who are confused, disappointed, and some who are angry and outraged over what they believe are continuing digs and insults at Susan and all those who love and miss her.

Shelby Gifford, Spokeswoman for Susan’s family

Shelby Gifford, spokeswoman for Susan's family, said, "The 'unclaimed' website 'about' Susan is NOT going to detract from the efforts of those who are truly searching for her.”

“I don't think for a minute that anyone is fooled by the drippy language or the insane theories that Susan can choose to come home any time she wants or that she's on a beach somewhere in South America,” she continued.

“Most people I speak with view the site as a mockery of the agony those who truly love Susan are going through,” Shelby said. “I think the average person will see this website for what it is, and for what it ISN'T.”

“It ISN'T about Susan,” she said, “It's about Josh. Did he create it? I don't know and I don't spend a lot of time dwelling on it. Josh may not be looking for Susan, but the rest of us are and we will find out what happened to her, regardless of what some mystery writer puts forth as 'fact.”

Caryn from Africa

Caryn, who lives half way around the world, has followed Susan’s case from day one and is the organizer of the new “Postcard Campaign” for Susan.

She said, “I have to say, it took me a while to summon up the courage to see the newest page entitled ‘six months’ on Josh's website. Given the narrative of deceit and insult that we have been subjected to in the history of that website, I wasn’t sure I had the stomach to read the latest slur.”

“For those of us who love Susan and care for her and her family, six months is indicative of the time that she has been missing and missed. Six months is the time that her loved ones have endured heartache, desperation, fear of the unknown, and the constant worry of Susan’s plight,” she said.

Caryn continued, “Six months, to those who really do care, is how long Josh Powell has refused to co-operate with Law Enforcement in order to help find his dear wife whom, he claims on his site, they ‘love and miss’ so much. To Josh Powell, the page entitled 'Six Months' seems nothing more than a further publicity stunt gone badly awry.”

Caryn shared her thoughts about some of the information Josh added to the page.

“He begins by saying that they are ‘still trying to cope with her absence.’ This is very true, I am certain. But while Charlie and Braden may well be suffering emotionally from the loss of their Mom, their home, their friends, their day-care, and their entire life as they knew it up until 6 December 2009, Josh is trying to cope with Susan’s absence from a completely different perspective. I’m sure he must be feeling a lot of pressure in his daily routine.”

“Once he has passed the introduction of how they ‘hope she will walk back through the door soon’ he launches into a new tale of how well Charlie and Braden are doing. While it may be comforting, on some level, to see a picture of a smiling Charlie (albeit blurred out) Josh’s intent is surely not to reassure that Susan’s sons are doing well, but rather to try and turn a spotlight of sorts onto his alleged fantastic parenting skills,” she continued.

“One has to wonder how Josh is working through the scarring emotions that the children must be enduring after the sudden and inexplicable loss of their mother. At the ages of 3 and 5, they may not be able to express their hurt, fear, confusion and possibly utter devastation, but it is still there. It will undoubtedly lie undetected until they are old enough to question further the mystery surrounding their mother’s sudden disappearance and apparent uncharacteristic abandonment of her sons.”

Caryn added, “If Josh is apparently so intent on wishing that Susan would walk through the door, it’s bewildering, to say the least, that he will not even publicly ask for assistance in finding her. It’s mystifying that he won’t answer further questions that might shed some light on what happened to Susan – he won’t even do so with his lawyer present. It seems that the less Josh does, the guiltier he looks. It also seems that the more he adds to this abhorrent website, the more despicable he becomes to the public eye.”

She said that Josh’s reference to investigating Christianity as an alternative to Mormonism strikes her merely a jab at Susan’s faith, instead of a genuine divulgence of his search for spiritual freedom and support.

Believing, like many others do, that Josh is somehow responsible for Susan’s disappearance, Caryn said, “’Hopefully soon they can again share that joy with Susan.’ This is the final word on the page dedicated to ‘Six Months’ of Susan being missing. Knowing what Josh knows about Susan’s disappearance, this comment is a blatant insult; impertinent and distasteful, to say the very least. But it seems that we have come to expect nothing less from this man who once promised to love and to cherish his wife and to honor her. He’s fallen short on so many counts. But, I believe, his fall from grace will be a long and painful one.”

Debbie Caldwell

Debbie Caldwell was very close friends with Susan before she went missing. They interacted most every day because Debbie took care of Susan’s kids while she worked. Susan often visited Debbie’s daycare during her days off to spend some time there with the other children and her boys. Everyone loved her and misses her terribly.

Debbie was the person who reported Susan missing to her family. “Josh had been trying to leave the church for a long time. Susan wanted him to live up to his promises as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and to their marriage convents that they made together,” Debbie said.

“I regret saying this but from what Susan has told me, Josh was failing to live up to his promises. He was not being a good husband and he was not doing a good job at contributing to the upbringing of the children. This might be a big clue to why she disappeared. She had nothing to lose divorcing him but HE (Josh) had everything to lose if she divorced him.”
“What is happening with the children could be different than he is saying is happening. It appears Josh has the luxury of giving the boys one-on-one time all day long and teaching them how to read. I have no doubt in my mind that if Susan didn't have to cook all the meals, do all the gardening and all the yard work along with a full-time job that she would have been more than able to create the same result.”

“Reading at the age of three would be amazing but when do they have time to be kids,” she added. “They are children. It will not matter how book smart they are if they are backward when talking with people. Who is teaching them how to respect people and behave in social environments? Who is teaching them that it is wrong to walk up to strangers and take thing away from them without asking? Who is teaching them to respect others property? Who is teaching them that they don't always get what they want? I can go on, but the point I am making is there are a great deal that goes into being a parent. Susan was doing it all, and in my eyes doing it almost alone. The boys now have 5 adults teaching them and who's to say what they are teaching is good?”

She said the LDS church offered free marriage counseling and questioned if Josh was really interested in being a better husband, why did Susan attend most of the appointments alone?

“I love Susan and will continue to take a Stand for her and be a voice while she can't. Josh continues to go against Susan’s wishes. Just more proof to me that he is lying. Josh’s father, Steven Powell, is just making me believe that he also is lying and might just have helped Josh eliminate Susan, so he could have complete control of everything.”

“This is so sad for the boys,” Debbie said. “They will one day see it all, Josh can’t control that! Such a shame!”

Kiirsi Hellewell

Kiirsi Hellewell is Susan's best friend who has worked tirelessly in the search to find her.
“Josh's website, plain and simply, turns my stomach,” Kiirsi said.

“Two weeks after Susan disappeared, Josh asked if he could come over and use one of our computers. My husband sat by him the entire morning while Josh made the beginnings of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Josh told us at the time, ‘I'm making a website to help find Susan’,” she said.

“I couldn't argue with that, since I was already deep into online campaigns to spread the word about Susan's disappearance. If Josh wanted to make a website to help, fine--but of course the most important thing he could possibly do was to go to police and cooperate fully, which the rest of us had already done and he refused to do,” she continued.

“This website didn't appear until February and when it came, there was nothing on it to help find Susan in any way or to spread the word of her disappearance. No vital statistics, no helpful information on what she was last wearing or details or when he'd last seen her. Nothing to show he truly cared about finding his wife.”

“Instead,” Kiirsi said, “the website has always been about Josh. It's very self-serving and the agenda seems clear: discredit Susan, make Josh look good, and show the world that Josh and the boys are doing just fine.
Are they grieving? Not according to the website.
Are they doing anything to find her? Not according to the website.
Do they let Susan's sons, Charlie and Braden, visit Susan's family? It's not documented anywhere on the website.”

“The new ‘Six Months’ page is another slap in the face to everyone who knows and loves Susan,” she said. “Even total strangers who have been following this case can see through the lies and propaganda. There is no way that Susan is going to ‘walk back through the door’ as the website authors say they hope, because she didn't leave on her own.”

“Someone took her away from all she holds dear and she has or had no choice in the matter,” Kiirsi said with strong conviction.

“It's also nauseating that Josh is now apparently turning his back on the LDS church--the same church who helped Josh and Susan financially, spiritually, and physically in many ways--helping them finish their basement, move sheds, babysit their children, and church members who offered Josh help and support after Susan's disappearance, including helping Josh move away from Utah--and taking Susan's sweet little boys away from their mother's most dearly-held beliefs.”

JoVonna Owings

JoVonna Owings was the last known person to see Susan, besides Josh, before she disappeared. She has many times asked, “Was there something else I could have, or should have done?”
JoVonna could not have known what was about to happen to her dear friend, Susan.

“I am so totally appalled at the new additions to the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] website. I do not know for sure that it is Josh doing the website but it is sure looking more like it with every new page,” JoVonna said.

“I think it’s wrong in so many ways to infer that Susan would be okay with Josh shopping around for a church that would ‘share his and Susan's pro-family values.’ Susan had found that as a member of the LDS church and Josh knew that the LDS church promotes family first!”, she said.

“I also think the new page on ‘Volcano Week’ is nice to let us know that on at least one day for at least one hour the boys were having fun, as all boys that age are inclined to do, but it was more of a self-promoting page for Josh and ‘Grandpa Steve’."
“I am sick to my stomach just thinking that the boys are not able to enjoy the company of Susan's parents and family while they are subjected to the constant strangeness they live in now,” she said.

JoVonna continued, “It has been six very long, traumatic months and it just seems to me that Josh is getting along just great while the rest of us who were Susan's friends are still in turmoil. This makes me wonder just how messed up Josh really is.”

“I know I would still be grieving for my spouse in six months if he were missing even if we didn't always get along,” she said.

“I have tried so very hard to give Josh the benefit of the doubt and not to judge. But whenever I think about Susan now I question, ‘Josh, what in the world are you doing and why won’t you help to find your wife?”

She ended with, “Okay, that’s all I have to say except that I would like to slap them both [Josh and Steven] upside the head for saying, six months later, that Susan is probably having a fling or taking a time-out!! Garbage,” she said, “pure garbage.”

“They,” she said, “are living examples of the computer term ‘GIGO’ which means ‘Garbage In, Garbage Out!”

Linda Osborne

Linda Osborne lives not far from the West Desert in Utah where Josh said he camped the night Susan went missing. Linda never had the pleasure of meeting Susan. Nonetheless, she has tirelessly searched for Susan and helped organize searches since Susan went missing.

Linda had this to say about the website, “This Web site was obviously created with one purpose in mind - to create a positive impression of Josh Powell as a ‘loving husband and father’ while libeling Susan with preposterous rumors.”

“Was he encouraged to do this by his defense attorney to prejudice prospective jurors? Why else would Josh suddenly decide to communicate with the public through this Web site?” she asked.

“While it is possible that they could succeed in influencing people who know very little about the case, family, friends, and others who are close to Susan or have become very familiar with this case know the truth, that Susan is known as an upstanding working mother, very active in her church, always helping others less fortunate, and being an outstandingly loving and caring mother to her two young sons, as well as the primary bread winner for the family,” Linda said.

She went on, “Susan worked full-time as a stock broker, ran the household, did the shopping, the primary child care, landscaping, raising a vegetable garden, marriage counseling (mostly on her own) and using her cosmetology training to do other people’s hair.”

“In addition,” she said, “Susan held many positions in the church. In the last few years--in the nursery watching over the toddlers; leading the music in the Relief Society (women's class); being a visiting teacher to visit women in the ward each month; and most recently, the secretary in the Relief Society presidency in her ward.”

“For Susan’s husband, the only person of interest in her disappearance, to suggest that she simply took off to 'have a fling, or just for respite’ as stated on this Web site, is absolutely ludicrous!,” she said.

“Their feeble attempt to mislead those who are not familiar with the case, into falsely believing Susan would actually leave her two boys is a repulsive, false statement showing the same malice aforethought that was probably involved in her disappearance last year."

Less that a month after Susan went missing Josh moved their two young sons away from the only support system they knew and into Josh's father's home in Puyallup, Washington.

Josh Powell is the only person of interest in what police call a missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones.http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m6d5-Susan-Cox-Powell-Friends-family-and-supporters-speak-out-about-new-web-page-Six-Months
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread.. - Page 7 Empty Six other agencies involved in the case?

Post by Nama Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:56 am

June 13, 2010 - According to Susan Cox Powell’s father-in-law, Steven Powell, he and Susan’s husband, Josh Powell, are working with six law-enforcement agencies trying to find Susan.
The question friends, family, and Susan’s supporters are asking is – which six law-enforcement agencies are the Powells working with?

None West Valley Police knows about

The claim made by Powell came as quite a surprise to West Valley City Police Department (WVCPD). WVCPD has been the lead agency in the investigation into Susan’s disappearance for the past six months.

Captain Tom McLachlan, spokesman for WVCPD, told Examiner.com Thursday, “I’m very surprised by the new developments.”

“I guess it’s a free country and a person can say what they want,” McLachlan said. “But if Josh were working with other law-enforcement agencies we would know about it. They would contact our department. No other law-enforcement agency has called us to say that Josh or his family is working with their department.”

It is, according to Capt. McLachlan, customary for law-enforcement agencies joining an active investigation, such as Susan’s, to contact the lead agency, in this case WVCPD, and to work hand-in-hand with the lead agency.

“The case is still very active,” Capt. McLachlan said. “We have eight detectives still assigned to the case and that are still following up on leads.”

Law-enforcement protocol

Shelby Gifford, the spokesperson for Susan’s family, told Examiner.com Friday, “I guess it would be helpful to define what the Powells mean by 'working with' six other law enforcement agencies. What does that mean, exactly?”

“Any law enforcement agency would have a series of protocols that dictate they contact the lead law enforcement agency if they were contacted by anyone about an open investigation,” she said.

“That's how it's done universally. Additionally, public information dissemination is a standard (and expected) part of every law enforcement agency in the country,” Gifford continued.

“If the Powells were actively working with another agency,” she said, “that department would have contacted WVCPD and would also be prepared to address the media attention that follows the case.”

Gifford concluded with, “They would NOT fail to contact WVCPD in order to keep a low profile or avoid public attention. That's just not how investigations are conducted.”

Shelby Gifford is the former spokesperson for Puyallup police and is married to retired Puyallup Police Officer, Michael Gifford. Both are friends with Susan’s parents.

Three other law-enforcement agencies, Puyallup Police, Salt Lake City Police, and Seattle Police, told Examiner.com Friday that routine protocol would be for any new department entering an investigation, including a missing person’s case, to contact the lead agency. Something WVCPD says has not happened.

Outside agencies

None of these agencies are working on Susan’s case and none have been contacted by Steven or Josh Powell, or anyone from the Powell family.

During a phone conversation with Puyallup Police Department Sergeant Portmann, he told Examiner.com, “We are not involved in this case. We have not been contacted by Josh Powell, his father, or anyone in his family asking to investigate this case. I think I’d know since I’m the one who assigns all the cases.”

Sgt. Portmann said if Puyallup PD was called to assist in the case they would work with WVCPD.

Detective Ed Troyer, spokesman for Pierce County Sheriff’s, said, “We are not the lead agency. I can say that any outside help that was requested of us from another agency we would engage in.”

“I have consistently referred all media to the lead agency [WVCPD],” he said.
"I can say that no one from any of the families have asked us to help find her," Detective Troyer said.

Examiner.com spoke with Salt Lake City Police Officer Daniel Delka who said, “If we are called in on an ongoing investigation we would contact the lead agency.”

Officer Delka said, “Where there is an agency already involved in a case yes, it is customary for the new agency to contact the lead agency.”

In fact,” Officer Delka said, “the new agency would type the missing person’s name into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC). If there was an active case the NCIC results would indicate the name of the agency heading up the investigation. That would raise a flag that another agency is involved and that agency would be contacted. The NCIC covers missing persons, wanted fugitives, things like that.”

Detective and spokesman for the Seattle Police Department, Mark Jamieson, said, “In an ongoing case, if another agency were to get involved, by all means they should contact the lead agency. In this case West Valley Police Department.”

“The missing boy in Portland is a good example of a lead agency, in that case the Sheriff’s Department. The sheriff’s department is in need of additional resources and reaching out to other agencies in different jurisdictions. They are the lead agency and all other agencies that join in on the case would report to that lead agency.”

Detective Jamieson said Seattle Police is not involved in Susan’s case.

Comment from Salt Lake Tribune article
Rowena, who commented on the recent Salt Lake Tribune article "Josh Powell's father: We're searching for Susan", said, “Perhaps we're all being a little bit hard on Josh and the Washington branch of the Powell family.”

She asked, “What's so unusual about a dad taking his two young sons on a camping trip in the middle of winter, in the middle of the night with a snowstorm coming and icy roads when he's got work in a few hours? How unlucky can you get that that's the night that your wife goes missing?”

“Is it Josh Powell's fault that even though he's working with SIX law enforcement agencies that the primary team of officers who are investigating his wife's disappearance have named him as the person of interest in the case, have characterized him as being 'unco-operative' and are unaware of these other ongoing investigations?” she asks.
A phone message to Josh Powell's attorney, Scott Williams, was not returned.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamaree44 Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:17 am

Where is Susan? I had hoped they would find her once the snow was gone.

lisamaree44

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:29 am

A friend of mine visited me from Ogden, Utah and she said there are plenty of huge crevices that go down about 100 miles. She said most people in Utah believe he dropped her in one of those crevices in the mountains and they will never find her. She said even a dog would not be able to pick up her scent. crying
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:35 pm

Wrapitup wrote:A friend of mine visited me from Ogden, Utah and she said there are plenty of huge crevices that go down about 100 miles. She said most people in Utah believe he dropped her in one of those crevices in the mountains and they will never find her. She said even a dog would not be able to pick up her scent. crying
That makes a whole lot of sense, dropping her down a crevice. That could be why he drove to where he did, he must have known the area and that is why he picked that part of the mtns. He looks like a doofus, a real dork. How has he gotten so lucky to have gotten away with this? He must have been reading up on the Drew Peterson case and taken notes on how to get rid of your wife. Susan sure was a beautiful young woman.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamaree44 Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:06 pm

So true. It would be nearly impossible to find anything with this type of terrain. Probably will never find poor Susan.

lisamaree44

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilone Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:40 pm

There is a lot of evidence that Susan was murdered. There is a lot of evidence that Josh could care less.

Powell mysteriously disappeared on Dec. 7, 2009, when she did not report to her stockbroker job and her two sons, ages 2 and 4 did not make it to day care. Police investigated the family's residence in West Valley City only to find it empty, except for two fans directed towards a wet spot on the rug. Josh Powell, Susan's husband, told police he had taken their sons camping at approximately 12:30 a.m. and returned that evening.
CBSNews
Lilone
Lilone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next