Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Re: Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:11 pm

You both rock!! :cheers:

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Susan Powell missing/ Carpet cleaning machine in home/ Husband rents car and disappears for 24 hours/ Susan's family doubts husbands story/ Husband leaves Utah

Post by jeanne1807 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:49 pm

I shall not be drawn into another one....but. This guy is a real wackey do. He takes off at midnight in sub zero temps with a two year old and a four year old and his wife went to sleep at 5pm and he didn't know it was Sunday? I think he drugged her...slipped something in her coffee. Then her friend left and he did her in. Put her in the van and took her camping.

I can't believe her father is not suspecious...WTH

This must be a new club these men are joining. The kill your wife club. Darn I am keeping a good eye on hubby. One false move and I shall do him in...lol Then I will buy a ticket and go to Hawaii and say I did not know it was Christmas.
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Susan Powell missing since 2/6/09. Husband,Josh Powell, sets home on fire killing himself & their 2 sons. Much More on this thread..

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:20 am

You guys are hilarious! :lol!:

I just wanted to add my "two cents" and say that I believe the husband is definitely guilty - no "normal" person takes young kids out camping in the winter at midnight!

I wish NG would highlight this case on her show instead of discussing Tiger Woods & his infidelity. She needs to get back to trying to solve real crimes... like this one!

Back to top Go down

Normal Powell family friend shares inside perspective

Post by Nama on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:49 am

New information tonight in the disappearance of Susan Powell. The Deseret Morning News reports items confiscated by police last week include a notebook that might contain details about Susan's relationship with her husband, Joshua Powell. According to the Salt Lake paper's sources, the notebook details threats allegedly made against the missing mother of two almost a year ago.

The investigation has moved from a missing persons to a criminal investigation. We are for the first time today, hearing police say '’foul play’' is suspected. Police say there's just no other way to explain what happened on the night of December 6th. ABC4 asked a close friend of the Powells, the one who talked with Josh just days after Susan went missing, what he thought about Josh's alibi, recent silence and something now in the spotlight: Josh and Susan's marriage.

Tim Peterson is a family friend of the Powells, who drove Josh to pick up his van from the police department three days after Susan went missing. He says Powell seemed relatively calm. Peterson then asked why he didn’t seem more distraught to which he says Powell replied, “The cops are taking care of that.” Peterson says this response caught him off guard. He says Josh also told him he frequently takes his boys out camping late at night.

Peterson told us that perhaps what's most startling to him now--the fact that Josh is staying so what he calls “uncharacteristically quiet.” He says, “This much I do know about Josh. Josh is extremely opinionated.” Police, however, are saying they're having a hard time getting Josh to say much at all. They say yesterday's interview with Powell was a bust with only brief general ID answers.

Peterson told us tonight that Susan would often confide in him about her marital woes. He says, “She really did try in that relationship, she tried so hard…She had a very strict plan that come this Spring, if things weren't right between the two of them, that she was going to get a divorce.”

Police say they subpoenaed Powell to get a sample of DNA. They say they wanted a clean sample from Josh on file in case they need it.

Police won’t talk about what kind of evidence they took out of Powell's house, but they do say they're waiting on the analysis from the state crime lab.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:21 am

Susan Powell case: Police take DNA from missing West Valley City woman's husband
Probe » Friends say Joshua Powell was 'very, very controlling.'

By Brooke Adams

and Sheena Mcfarland

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 12/16/2009 10:51:21 AM MST

Police have obtained DNA samples from Joshua Powell as part of their investigation into the disappearance of his wife, Susan Powell.

West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan said investigators have taken DNA samples from multiple people in the search for 28-year-old Susan Powell, and the warrant served Tuesday does not imply her husband is a suspect.

"We hope to have him come in for a more extensive interview, but I don't know if a date or time has been set for that," McLachlan said Tuesday night.

Joshua Powell answered some "basic" questions at the station Tuesday, a day after he cancelled a police interview that was scheduled for Monday, McLachlan said.

Powell's attorney Scott C. Williams said Powell sought legal counsel shortly before the scheduled meeting.

"I needed time to get information so I could advise and consult," Williams said, explaining why Powell cancelled Monday's interview. Williams would not discuss details of Tuesday's exchange with police.

Also Tuesday, friends of Susan Powell filled some of the silence with information about long-simmering difficulties in their marriage and details about how the couple met.

According to court documents, Joshua Powell filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2007 and listed more than $200,000 in credit card, furniture, student loan and other debts.

That debt put a stress on the couple's relationship, several sources told The Salt Lake Tribune.

Even before the bankruptcy, friends had counseled Susan Powell to leave her husband, who was "very, very controlling," said Rachel Marini, who met the couple shortly after they wed in 2001.

"She had lots of people tell her to end it and get a divorce because it was not worth going through that kind of heartache," Marini said. "But Susan didn't want to give up on her marriage."

Marini's husband, Tim, met Joshua Powell in 1999 at the singles ward in Tacoma, Wash. The couples were close until Rachel Marini had a falling out with Joshua Powell during a road trip from Utah to Washington several years ago.

However, the Marinis stayed close with Susan via Facebook. Over the past year or so, Susan told the couple the relationship "was still pretty bad, but that for the first time, Susan started standing up for herself," Rachel Marini said.

While Joshua Powell went to church sporadically, Susan Powell insisted on taking the children to church each week. And during the past year, despite their financial straits, she also bought them a few Christmas presents.

"Josh didn't like it, but he was letting her do it," Rachel Marini said.

Susan Powell openly discussed the trying year the couple had in 2008 during meetings at her church, where she served as a secretary in the Relief Society.

"Church was a big part of her life. It gave her a sense of feeling needed," said Stephanie Olson, a neighbor and fellow ward member. "A lot of people really loved her and needed her there."

Charles Cox, Susan Powell's father, said the couple had worked through their problems and were doing better.

Susan and her husband are natives of Pullayup, Wash., and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They met through a church activity at an LDS ward in Tacoma, Wash., and were married in April 2001, said Kiirsi Hellewell, Susan's best friend.

The couple managed an assisted living facility in Washington for a while, Hellewell said. They moved to Utah about five years ago searching for a fresh start and to be closer to Joshua Powell's mother and two sisters, who had relocated here, Hellewell said.

The couple found a home in West Valley City and joined the Hunter 36th Ward. Larry Richman, the lay leader of the LDS Church congregation, confirmed the couple are regular members of the church.

Joshua Powell worked for Homenet Real Estate for several years while Susan cared for their sons, ages 2 and 4. Friends and neighbors all say Susan Powell would never leave her two boys.

"She absolutely loved [becoming] a mom," Hellewell said. "Her boys were her whole life."

Susan Powell, who had worked as a cosmetologist in Washington, embraced life as a homemaker, learning to garden, can, bake bread and crochet.

It was crocheting that brought Susan Powell together with fellow churchgoer JoVonna Owings. That friendship continued, and, shortly after Thanksgiving this year, Owings began baby-sitting Saturdays for the Powells.

On Dec. 6, she was at the Powells' home, helping Susan untangle yarn, and joined the family for a dinner of pancakes and scrambled eggs that Joshua Powell made.

"Susan is very energetic and enthusiastic. She's sort of like the Energizer Bunny," Owings said. "She was an excellent mother and wife. She took care of her family, house and husband, and often made meals from scratch."

Owings said she would bring her 9- and 17-year-old children along when she tended the Powell boys. Joshua Powell often spent those Saturdays working on the home's back deck, and would teach Owings' children basic woodworking skills.

Joshua Powell's hobbies include radio-controlled cars, gardening and landscaping.

He operates a home-based business called Polished Marketing that creates Web sites and logos for business. He also works as a computer programmer for a trucking and warehousing company.

Susan Powell is a stockbroker with a local financial institution. She passed her financial certification while she was pregnant with her first child, Hellewell said.

"She kept saying, 'If anyone had told me I would be a stockbroker, I would have laughed my head off,'" Hellewell said.

Friends and family say they are baffled by Susan Powell's disappearance.

"She wouldn't leave those boys," Olson, her neighbor, said. "It's our deepest wish that Susan could be found. We're hoping and praying. Her little boys need her."

On Tuesday, Shelby Gifford, who is serving at a spokesperson for the Cox family, relayed a message from the family, thanking the community for its support.

On the Facebook Web site devoted to Powell, the family states they have not given up hope in finding the missing mother.

"We each have a finite amount of energy and capacity. We are using 100 % of ours to find Susan," the posting states. "We come to this page frequently for comfort and to feel surrounded by Susan's friends and family. It's a source of strength for us, and keeps us focused on our goal -- finding Susan."

Tribune reporters Bob Mims and Jason Bergreen contributed to this report.
Time line of Susan Powell's disappearance

Afternoon, Dec. 6 » Neighbor JoVonna Owings dropped by the Powells' home Sunday afternoon to visit with Susan Powell. The family had pancakes for dinner. Susan, who was feeling ill, laid down for a nap about 5 p.m. Owings left, as did Joshua Powell, who said he was taking his two sons sledding.

8:30 p.m., Dec. 6 » A neighbor saw Joshua Powell as he returned home and pulled into his garage.

Midnight to 12:30 a.m, Dec. 7 » Joshua Powell says he left home with his two sons to go camping at Simpson Springs in the West Desert, while Susan remained at home.

9 to 10 a.m., Dec. 7 » The Powells' daycare provider became alarmed when the couple failed to drop off their sons on schedule and she could not reach either parent by phone. She contacted Joshua Powell's mother and sister, who called police after they could not locate the pair. Police broke into the Powell home but found no one there.

Evening, Dec. 7 » Joshua Powell and his two young sons returned home between 5 and 6 p.m. He was taken to the West Valley City police station for questioning.

11 a.m., Dec. 8 » Charles Cox received a telephone call from Joshua Powell, who informed him Susan was missing and that he was about to be interviewed by police again.

Dec. 9 » Police served a search warrant on the Powell residence and removed boxes, bags and a computer.

Dec. 10 » Law officers searched the Simpson Springs area where Joshua Powell said he camped with his sons but found nothing.

Dec. 14 » Joshua Powell hired defense attorney Scott C. Williams. He skipped a third interview with police.

Dec. 15 » Joshua Powell provided a DNA sample to police.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:48 am

He left in the middle of the night with expected subfreezing temperatures overnight and also left
two fans going on a wet spot on the carpet. Gee,
does anyone else think there is something wrong with this story. I think the in-laws are terrified of saying anything against him - for now he and probably his side of the family have control of those two little boys.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:31 pm

The family of the West Valley City woman who has been missing for 11 days will hold a press conference Thursday afternoon.

Seven members of Susan Powell's family are expected to meet with the media in Puyallup, Wash., where her parents live. The reason for the press conference is unclear, but family members are expected to field questions after a brief statement is read.

On Wednesday, Deseret News sources said West Valley police collected several items from Susan Powell's office last week, including a notebook the mother of two kept in her desk at work, possibly containing information about her relationship with her husband. The notebook, according to one source, detailed threats allegedly made about a year ago against the missing West Valley woman.

Police have identified Powell's husband, Josh Powell, as a "person of interest" in their investigation into Susan Powell's disappearance on Dec. 6.

"We don't have any solid evidence at this time that a crime has been committed, but there is circumstantial evidence that foul play cannot be ruled out," West Valley Assistant Police Chief Craig Black said Wednesday.

Black said Josh Powell is not the only person of interest. Black declined to discuss who the others are in the case.

"We're not focused in on one person at this point," he said.

Black is quick to point out, however, that a person of interest is not the same as a suspect. As an example, he said that a neighbor who might offer important information about the case would be considered a "person of interest." Everyone else who has been labeled as a person of interest, besides Powell, however, has been forthcoming with information, he said.

Powell was interviewed by police late Tuesday and submitted to a search warrant to collect DNA.

Despite his voluntarily showing up for an interview, police say Josh Powell is still not being completely forthcoming, refusing to answer specific detailed questions such as exactly where he was camping the night of Dec. 6 and whether his wife had any close friends with whom she might have confided.

"He's not being cooperative," Black said. "He's answering very general descriptive-type questions. He would not submit to questioning about specific questions we think would be helpful to finding his wife."

Josh Powell said he went camping about midnight on Dec. 6 with the couple's two children, ages 2 and 4. They drove to an area in Tooele, where they slept in their minivan, Powell told police. The temperature that night was well below freezing.

The next day, Josh Powell returned to his home in the afternoon. Susan Powell was nowhere to be found.

Josh Powell talked to police that night and the following day. He was scheduled for a follow-up interview Monday but did not show up for that meeting, based on the advice of his newly hired attorney, Scott Williams.

When Powell did meet with police Tuesday, Black said, investigators did not get many of the answers they were hoping for and have requested to speak to him again.

"We're interested in what he has to say," Black said. "We expressed to him we would like to have a chance to ask him more specific and detailed questions. He said he'd like to think about it. Right now, he's giving us general ID questions, such as he was camping along the Pony Express Trail. That's 2,000 miles long. We haven't been able to find anything.

"We'd appreciate some more detailed cooperation from him," Black said. "There's a lot of questions concerning his camping trip, what Susan's state of mind was on Sunday (Dec. 6), has she ever talked to him privately about leaving. Those are areas Josh could help with. We're not marriage counselors. If she wants to be away, that's her business. We just would like to have information that helps us find her."

A friend of Susan Powell, Rachel Marini, told KSL Radio Wednesday that after the Powells moved to Utah from Washington state, Josh Powell became very controlling.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal extended family member wouldn't be surprised if Powell gets arrested in the next week

Post by Nama on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:36 pm

The focus of a missing person investigation in Utah is turning to the victim's husband, Joshua Powell.

Kirk Graves, an extended family member, told ABC News he wouldn't be surprised if Powell gets arrested in the next week.

Police have said the husband has been uncooperative in answering questions about his wife, Susan Powell, who vanished on December 7th.

West Valley City police said the case is about to turn from a missing person case into a criminal investigation.

Joshua maintains he went camping with his two kids, only to find his wife missing when he returned home.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal News conference » Family 'saddened' that Joshua Powell is now a 'person of interest.'

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Forensic police searching Susan Powell's home; family 'not surprised' suspicion on husband

By Erin Alberty

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 12/17/2009 04:03:24 PM MST

Susan Powell's family on Thursday said they are not surprised that police have called her husband, Joshua Powell, as a person of interest in her disappearance.

West Valley City officers served a search warrant at the Powell home and had it blocked off while forensic officers looked for clues in the house. They began the search about the same time Susan Powell's family held a news conference in Puyallup, Wash.

"The fact that Joshua has been named a person of interest in this case deeply saddens the family, but it is not a surprise given the events and his reaction to them in the past week," family friend Shelby Gifford read from a statement while standing in front of Susan Powell's parents and siblings at the conference.

Gifford said Joshua Powell's claim that Susan disappeared while he took his children camping in the West Desert at 12:30 a.m. Dec. 7 is "a huge red flag to the family."

"Susan ... would not have tolerated her children being taken out of the home to go camping in dangerously cold [conditions]," Gifford read from the family statement.

However, Susan Powell's father, Charles Cox, said he is confident that the Joshua Powell will not harm their two sons -- Charlie, 4, and Braden, 2 -- who remain in Joshua Powell's care.

"He's always been a super father to them," Cox said. "There's no doubt in my mind that they're safe with him."

Gifford said the family had no indication that the Powells' marriage was violent.

"If we felt like Susan was in danger, as a family we would have taken the steps to get her out of the situation," Gifford said. "Some of the things you're learning about this week, we're learning right along with you."

Susan's friends have told various media outlets that they had been concerned about the health of the marriage, which had undergone financial and emotional strains.

West Valley City police on Thursday continued to express frustration with Joshua Powell's refusal to give additional interviews about the case. Joshua Powell, who has hired high-profile defense attorney Scott C. Williams to represent him, has spoken with police twice.

The first interview was on Dec. 8, a day after Powell's disappearance. Joshua Powell told investigators he last saw his wife at their home before he took his sons camping in Tooele County. A second interview occurred Tuesday when police served a warrant to take a sample of Joshua Powell's blood. At that time, police have said, he only answered questions about what kind of jewelry his wife wears, scars she has and other information that would help police identify her.

"He was the last person to see Susan, and we'd like to get additional interviews," Capt. Tom McLachlan said Thursday. "We've had a lot of questions about exact timing and where he went."

Police have said they want Joshua Powell to take investigators to the specific campsite he went to in the vast west desert area.

According to several sources, Susan Powell, 28, kept a journal at work, according to several sources. Police refused to confirm whether they had the journal, citing a policy against discussing evidence.

Police have said they found Powell's purse and cell phone in the home, and that there were no signs of forced entry. Powell's father, Charles Cox, said Saturday that when police initially entered his daughter's home to check on the family, reported missing when neither Susan or Joshua Powell showed up for work, they found two fans blowing on a wet spot. He didn't know where in the house the spot was or what caused the spot.

Powell's friends and family have set up a Facebook page and distributed fliers to spread word of her disappearance. Among those helping the family are Damon Talbot, who set up the Destiny Search Project, Inc., following the murder of Destiny Norton in 2006, and Ed Smart, whose daughter Elizabeth spent nine months in captivity before being found in 2002.

please click above for press conference video

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Very interesting the father says that his grandsons are safe with their father. I see, he might have killed your daughter, but you arent afraid for your grandkids. I wonder how many fathers have killed their kids and themselves after they killed their wives? Too many to name here I believe.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by laga on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:43 pm

artgal16 wrote:Very interesting the father says that his grandsons are safe with their father. I see, he might have killed your daughter, but you arent afraid for your grandkids. I wonder how many fathers have killed their kids and themselves after they killed their wives? Too many to name here I believe.

I hear you artgal!!!! WTF is wrong with this father????? Even if I felt he would not harm the children (which how could you trust that), I would never allow him to be alone with them, no matter what I had to do. This guy is obviously guilty, just like kc, it is sooooo clear, in my opinion.
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:02 pm

How can anyone feel the kids are safe with him....look at drew peterson. He became the custodial parent of his children after kathleen died and his children with stacey when she vanished.IMO he is a murdering :ba$tard., same as POWELL!!!!!!! Get the kids to a loving family member until this is sorted out.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Normal Utah Family Not Surprised Husband Is Person of Interest

Post by Nama on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:09 pm

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:12 pm

CritterFan1 wrote:How can anyone feel the kids are safe with him....look at drew peterson. He became the custodial parent of his children after kathleen died and his children with stacey when she vanished.IMO he is a murdering :ba$tard., same as POWELL!!!!!!! Get the kids to a loving family member until this is sorted out.
That is what this case reminds me of. Drew Peterson. When Stacey went missing.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Son confirms camping trip

Post by Nama on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Her husband, Josh Powell, said he went camping with the couple's boys, ages 2 and 4, in subfreezing temperatures in the middle of the night Dec. 7 and returned in the evening.

West Valley City Police Capt. Tom McLachlan on Thursday said the 4-year-old boy was interviewed within "a day or two" after his mother was reported missing. The son told police his family went camping — an event his father has said coincided with her disappearance.

"I think the verification of the camping trip is important to the timeline on this," McLachlan said, cautioning against placing too much importance on the child's statement.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal People Magazine

Post by Nama on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:18 pm

Police to TV Stations: Save Footage of Missing Woman's Husband

Police investigating the disappearance of Susan Powell are asking Salt Lake City television news stations not to destroy footage of her husband, who has been called a "person of interest" in the case.

Detectives won't elaborate on their unusual request, but they're hoping that something in the footage might help explain what happened to Susan, 28, since she disappeared 11 days ago from her split-level home on a quiet cul-de-sac in the suburb of West Valley City.

Her husband, Joshua Powell, claims he took his 2- and 4-year-old sons on a midnight camping trip to Utah's harsh and frigid west desert on the night his wife went missing, but he thus far refuses to retrace his route for authorities.

Police returned to the Powell home Thursday with a second search warrant, set up a barricade and spent more than three hours dusting for fingerprints before hauling away four large paper bags of evidence, along with several swabs and vials. One investigator was seen gathering potential evidence at the front window and door.

Detectives are also looking for cell phone numbers, says West Valley Assistant Police Chief Craig Black. Susan's cell phone was found at the family's home shortly after her disappearance, along with her purse and keys, according to family spokesperson Michael Gifford.

At a press conference held by Susan's parents in Pullayup, Wash., on Thursday, Gifford said that Powell "would never leave her home without her cell phone, especially if her children were camping in the kind of conditions that they'd gone camping."

West Valley City Police Chief Buzz Nielsen told reporters that although Joshua Powell is their only "person of interest" right now, they're looking into other possible reasons for Susan's disappearance. "If you focus your attention on any one area, you're going to miss something else," he said. "We've got a lot more to do."

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Police building case to solve missing mom mystery

Post by Nama on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:59 pm

(ABC 4 News) – Police are building a case to help solve the disappearance of Susan Powell.

But authorities won’t say who they’re targeting.

Yesterday, police searched the home of her husband Josh Powell for the second time. In addition, police also used a search warrant to look at Powell’s van last week.

But credit card transactions and cell phone records may offer clues for police.

Police won't say if those records they’re seeking belong to Josh. But historically those kinds of record searches help police.

"What that does especially a financial account or a cell phone record it allows us to get a better picture of what went on at what time and what amount was spent at what locations,” said police Captain Tom McLachlan.

He did acknowledge that surveillance videos at convenience stores in West Valley are also being gathered by investigators.

"I'm sure that that has been done what results are I'm not aware of,” he said.

Mitzi Dodge said the Powell's came to the store she manages often and she's anxious to help out.

"The surveillance tape is available, the cops can come and pick that up if they need to look at the surveillance tape,” she said.

Police won't say what or who they're looking for on those tapes.

But police subpoenaed ABC4 news for an interview with Josh Powell.

"We need that to review and not have the edited information,” he said.

Josh Powell claimed he went camping with the boys late Sunday night while Susan was sleeping at the home.

It wasn't until three o'clock Monday afternoon that Susan's friend Kiiri Hellewell called him to say she's missing.

And she told ABC4 News Josh showed up at the house two hours later.

Those bank and cell phone records could tell police where a person who disappeared for nearly a day actually went.

And when asked if police were building a case against Josh Powell McLachlan answered this way: “We are building a case.”

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:21 pm

I have wondered if Josh paid someone to off his wife. I had read upthread that others MAY be involved. If Josh were the one that killed Susan (and let's face it, in all likely hood, she is dead and most likely out in the boondocks buried in snow crying ) where were the kids while he was murdering his wife? I think he took the boys somewhere, not sure where..and had someone come in and kill her and take her away. MOO!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Early Friday evening a detective with the West Valley Police Department served a subpoena to ABC 4 News Director Matt Malyn. The subpoena's language broadly asked for video related to the Susan Powell missing person case. But detectives only seemed interested in one tape containing the original interview with Josh Powell conducted last week on the steps of the Powell family home in West Valley. In fact, police also delivered similar subpoenas at the other TV news organizations in Salt Lake City seeking raw tape of their interviews with Powell.

Police would not say why they want to hear everything Powell said to the media. Powell has been called a "person of interest" in the disappearance of his wife, Susan Powell.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:56 pm

He probably said something that was close to the truth (like most liars) and the detectives caught it and want it re-played.

I can barely stand to look at him. It is so evident he is guilty by his own hand or by hiring someone to do it for him. He is going down!!!!!!!

I see an arrest coming soon..I would best within the next 72 hours. I feel so sorry for those poor kids - no mom, a 2 and 4 year old..I bet that little 4 year old is just beside himself. crying

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:04 pm

Geraldo will be Live in Utah discussing the missing Susan Powell case.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:11 pm

Carpet cleaning machine found: Police found a carpet cleaning machine inside the house last week when Susan first went missing and during the early stages of the investigation. While police could not comment about the reported wet spot they did confirm a carpet cleaning machine was found in the home, according to Fox 13 News.

Josh rented a car, then went missing for 24 hours: Josh rented a car and briefly disappeared himself, according to Fox 13 News. Detectives said Josh wasn’t seen or heard from for nearly 24 hours. They will not go into detail about the car rental but did say that Josh rented the car when they seized the van to search it. They would not comment when asked how many miles were put on the rental car, which, Fox News reported, could be significant.

Police have not asked Josh to take them to the campsite: The campsite where Josh reportedly took his two sons on an overnight camping trip has yet to be found. Fox News reported that Powell told police the campsite was in a vast, mountainous area on the Pony Express Trail, making it difficult for authorities to search the area.

Police say Powell has not said exactly where on the trail he spent the night in his van, although his attorney said Friday he's never been asked to take police to the site.

Testing for blood in Powell home: Police were asked if lights or chemical were used in the house to detect blood. McLachlan responded, “I would assume that would occur. I cannot say whether that did or did not occur”.

Five search warrants served in the case: Five search warrants have reportedly been served in this case - three on the Powell home, one for Josh’s DNA, and one for the family van. Police cannot be specific about the search warrants or what they have found.

Susan’s notebook or journal found: According to Fox News, a notebook or journal was reportedly found at Susan’s work with entries describing an alleged threat made by her husband about a year ago.

RECAP - Susan’s disappearance:

* The day before her disappearance Susan went to church with her two sons, Josh stayed home
* Susan walked home with her friend and neighbor, JoVonna Owings
* Owings stayed during the afternoon to help Susan untangle yarn
* Josh made pancakes and scrambled eggs for the family for dinner. Owings joined them
* At around 5:00 Owings went home and Susan went to rest because she wasn’t feeling well
* Josh took the boys sledding and returned at around 8:30 p.m.
* At about 12:30 a.m. on Dec. 7, Susan went to bed for the night
* At about 12:37 a.m. Josh took his boys, ages 2 and 4, camping in subfreezing temperatures
* Josh said they slept in the family van
* Mon., Dec. 7, the Powell’s daycare provider becomes concerned when the children don't arrive
* She contacts family and friends
* Family and friends grow increasingly concerned when they can't reach Susan or Josh
* They contact police
* Police knock at the door, no one answers
* Fearing the family was poisoned by carbon monoxide poisoning, police break in
* They find no one home
* They find two fans aimed at a wet spot on the floor
* Police find no visible sign of forced entry
* Susan’s personal belongings, including purse and cell phone, are still in the house
* Police believe family may have been taken to the hospital
* Josh returns home around 5:00 p.m. that day with his two sons
* Josh tells police he took his boys camping overnight
* When asked why he did not notify his work, Josh said he forgot what day it was
* Josh, Susan, and their two boys attend a church Christmas function on Sat.., Dec. 5
* Susan and the two boys attended church services on Sun., Dec. 6
* Susan Powell has been “missing without a trace” since Dec. 7

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:31 pm

He rented a car when they seized the van and was gone for almost 24 hours. Where did he go? Did he take the kids with him?

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal ABC News Nightline video/ embedding disabled - can't post video

Post by Nama on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:02 pm

Mom Vanished Without a Trace:

If you've been following the Susan Powell "missing persons" case, you'll want to see ABC News Nightline's "Mom Vanished Without a Trace" video: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (video disabled by request)

Excerpts:

"It's a story line that's become tragically familiar. A young mother vanishes leaving behind her belongings and her loving children."

"And as the investigation develops it’s her husband who soon becomes a person of interest."

"Now friends and family of Susan Powell, the mother of two young boys, are being forced to confront the possibility that she might never come back and the reason may be very close to home."

"Susan Powell vanished without a trace. As the facts come out the family is overcome with emotion, saying, 'Our reaction is it breaks our hearts but we want support'."

"The young mother known as loving and loyal left behind clues that have done little more than baffle friends and family and even police."

Susan Powell has been missing since Dec. 7. Native of Puyallup, Washington, Susan most recently lived in West Valley City, Utah. Her many friends and family members have tirelessly passed out fliers and are doing everything they can possibly think of to help find her.

While their hopes may dwindle as time passes, they are not giving up hope of finding Susan alive. Susan's family will hold a candlelight vigil tomorrow night in Puyallup, Washington. Friends and neighbors in West Valley, Utah, hope they can organize a vigil there to coincide with the vigil in Washington.

Frustration mounts as Susan's husband, Joshua Powell, the last person to see her, is not cooperating with police and is not forthcoming with information about his missing wife. Actions police say have hindered their search in finding Susan.

His actions over the past two weeks have made even his supporters question whether he knows more than he's saying.

Police are now considering this case a crime. Susan's brother-in-law, Kirk Graves, believes Joshua could be arrested as early as next week in the case of Susan's disappearance.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Missing mom's family casts doubt on son-in-law's story/ Grandparents concerned about the well-being of their two grandsons

Post by Nama on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:16 pm

About 900 miles northwest of where the Utah search for Susan Powell finished its thirteenth unsuccessful day, family and friends of the missing West Valley City mother are shocked that the upbeat girl-next-door they know is at the center of a national news story.

In Susan's hometown of Puyallup, she's remembered as the Rogers High School teenager who spelled out "UR A FLAKE" in Corn Flakes in the front yard of a boy she liked, then ran away from the scene giggling with friends.

She's the young woman who earned a scholarship to beauty school to pursue her philosophy that "people should be pretty" and it was her job to make them that way, said her father Chuck Cox.

She's considered by friends to be the gregarious life of the party, who, despite her sweet demeanor, never shied from providing a frank opinion about any situation.

Those personality traits, along with her responsible nature and reputation as a devoted mother, is what makes her disappearance puzzling and alarming to those who know her best in Puyallup.

"Susan wasn't one to go off quietly into the night. She isn't some mousy little girl who is off hiding somewhere," said Susan's father, Chuck Cox, in an interview at the family's Puyallup home. "If she could contact us, she certainly would. The idea that she was sleeping or getting ready for bed at 12:30 a.m. and (her husband) said 'I'm leaving with the boys to go camping' ... I don't think so. No way."

What isn't perplexing to several in the community of 36,000, located at the base of Mount Rainer about 35 miles south of Seattle, is that Susan's husband, Joshua Powell, is a person of interest in the case that many fear may have a tragic end.

West Valley City police have questioned Joshua Powell, 34, repeatedly for information about how his 28-year-old wife could have abruptly vanished. So far, Powell's vague and odd responses have left investigators and Susan's family with more questions than answers.

Chuck Cox initially expressed his support for his son-in-law, saying suspicion about Joshua Powell's potential involvement overshadowed the need to consider other possibilities surrounding Susan's disappearance.

But as more time passes with no sign of Susan, he and his wife Judy have changed their minds about the possibility of Joshua's involvement, pleading with their son-in-law to come forward with any knowledge he has about Susan's whereabouts.

The family is starting to publicly admit frustrations and concerns they've had with their son-in-law's behavior over the years -- reservations they've previously kept to themselves to support their daughter and her family.

"We want to support him, but frankly the story he tells just doesn't come close. Our daughter was not afraid of him. She would stand up to him. If he was taking her children out in that kind of weather, she wouldn't have let him," Chuck Cox said.

"He might tell her he was going to do that, but she would do whatever she needed to do to prevent that."

When asked whether they were happy about their daughters relationship with Joshua Powell, Chuck and Judy Cox were silent for a moment.

"She was happy," Chuck Cox said about his daughters' decision to marry Powell about a year after graduating from high school. "With daughters, they decide who they're going to get married to and when they're going to get married and you say 'Yes dear, sounds good to me,' because they're going to do it anyway."

Now the Coxes are left wondering: What exactly happened behind closed doors in their daughter's marriage? And is that connected to her inexplicable disappearance?

--

Life of the Party »

Chuck and Judy Cox said their daughter made the best out of challenging situations from the time she was a little girl.

The third of four daughters born to the Coxes, Susan as a child was known for her striking looks, energetic personality and playful jokes. She moved with her family from her birthplace in New Mexico to Alaska and Vancouver, Wash. before the Coxes settled in Puyallup in 1991.

As a teenager, Susan loved to sing and participated in high school choir. Known as a "girly girl," she relished having three sisters to share in her enjoyment of clothes, hair and makeup: Mary, 32; Denise, 30; and Marie, 25.

Her spunky personality made her popular among classmates, said Andrea Thomas, who met Susan in an eighth-grade English class and was her friend through high school.

"She knew how to have fun," said Thomas, 27, who last communicated Dec. 6 with her on Facebook.

"We'd hang out on the weekends, we went to slumber parties at her house. We liked to talk about boys and be silly that way."

When Susan neared the end of high school, her father asked her what she would like to do. Beauty school seemed like the right fit. She attended Gene Juarez in nearby Federal Way, Wash. and then secured jobs at Regis and Supercuts salons, where her friendly attitude earned her a steady stream of clients.

Susan met Josh when she was 18 at a singles ward of the LDS Church in Puyallup. A short time later, the two married at the LDS Portland Temple and found an apartment together a few miles away from the Coxes.

Chuck and Judy Cox worked to get to know their new son-in-law, whose personality they called "different." Chuck Cox said his son-in-law has an "interesting" sense of humor that people don't understand.

He grew frustrated with his son-in-law, who would arrive hours late to family dinners or other functions. Joshua Powell's behavior was an odd departure from the way Chuck and Judy Cox raised Susan, they said.

Some of Susan's friends were also put off by Joshua's seemingly anti-social or awkward behavior.

The Coxes silently wondered if Joshua had a possible mental illness, knowing he had a relative that suffered from bipolar disorder. But Joshua's family summed up the man's eccentric behavior as "Josh is just Josh," Chuck Cox said.

They also had "issues" with Joshua's father, Steven Powell, who could not be reached for comment for this story. A man who answered the door of a Puyullap home believed to belong to Steven Powell refused to speak to a Salt Lake Tribune reporter. The Coxes said Steven Powell isn't actively helping with the search for Susan.

"He's just a different person. We don't feel comfortable with him," Judy Cox said of Steven Powell.

Susan and Joshua Powell moved to Utah about five years ago, after stints working in assisted-living facilities in Yakima and Olympia, Wash. didn't provide them with enough income to start a family.

The couple picked Utah because Joshua's sister, Jennifer Graves, and his mother lived there, Chuck Cox said.

Susan quickly made friends in Utah, including Kiirsi Hellewell, who has been vigilant in organizing grass-roots efforts to find Susan. Kiirsi, along with Jennifer Graves, were the first to inform the Coxes that Susan was missing.

The Coxes worried about Joshua and Susan's move to Utah, knowing the couple's history of financial difficulties. Chuck Cox said his daughter would occasionally ask him to talk to Joshua for her when he seemed to be on the brink of making a bad financial decision.

His son-in-law was usually receptive to Cox's advice, he said.

After Susan's disappearance, court records revealed that she and Joshua had about $200,000 in debt, including a large amount of credit card debt.

Susan gave up her goal of working as a hairstylist shortly after relocating to Utah to help Joshua with his real estate business. She later worked with Fidelity and got a job at Wells Fargo, working as an assistant stockbroker, where she helped people with transactions over the phone.

Susan tended to fall into the role as the family's main breadwinner as Joshua tried to make his career work, Chuck Cox said. The couple had two boys, Charlie, 4 and Braden, 2.

Chuck Cox visited his daughter and grandchildren every three to six months, when his job as a safety inspector for the government brought him to Salt Lake City.

Aware that his daughter and her husband had "typical" problems, he believed on a recent visit that her relationship with Joshua had taken a turn for the better. The couple underwent marriage counseling, Chuck Cox said, which encouraged his daughter.

"We were constantly asking her, "How are things? And she was telling us that they were better," Chuck Cox said. "And now hearing things ... I think she wasn't telling us the whole story."

"I think she just didn't want us to worry," Judy Cox added. "She wanted to make things work."

Still, the family reached out to Susan out of concern that a day might come when she needed their assistance.

Chuck Cox said he bought his daughter a cell phone when she moved to Utah so she could use it for emergencies. Joshua Powell knew about the phone, he said, but he and Judy paid the bill each month to ensure his daughter had a way to call them.

"We wanted her to be able to call us whenever she wanted -- just on the off chance that if something ever got really weird -- we wanted to cover all of our bases so she could call us for help," he said.

--

Disappearance » Chuck Cox didn't hear about his daughter's disappearance from her husband until two days after she went missing.

Joshua Powell called Chuck Cox the Tuesday after Susan disappeared, a day after "the entire state was already looking for her," Chuck Cox said.

Since then, he has seen his son-in-law once when in Salt Lake City and spoke with him over the phone once. Joshua behaved strangely in both encounters and claimed he doesn't know what happened to Susan, Chuck Cox said.

He said he has spoken with Joshua's mother in West Valley City, who along with Joshua's sister, Jennifer Graves, is committed to finding out the truth about what happened to Susan. Jennifer's husband, Kirk, has said in previous media interviews that he thinks Joshua could be arrested in connection with Susan's disappearance.

Those comments are disturbing to the Coxes, who are concerned about the well-being of their two grandsons.

"They know him better than we do -- for them to say that, it's like, 'Wow'," Judy Cox said of Graves' comment.

Chuck Cox said he was careful not to point a finger at his son-in-law at first when news about his daughter broke, in part because of the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping case, where the wrong suspects were initially targeted. But he said he had his own suspicions about Joshua from the start, especially after seeing TV interviews in which a seemingly befuddled Joshua speaks of "making s'mores" and hiking on trails somewhere "down south" in the middle of a snowstorm with his two young children.

He said it's excruciating to hear his 4-year-old grandchild, Charlie, talking about "Mommy being lost."

"That's all he knows," Chuck Cox said. "He's too young to understand."

--

Holding Out Hope »

The Coxes draw inspiration from Ed Smart, Elizabeth Smart's father, who has been in contact with the family and is encouraging them to speak to the media to keep Susan's face in the public spectrum.

"We're hoping Susan will become the next Elizabeth Smart," Judy Cox said, explaining that she hopes her daughter will be found alive and well. She said she vacillates between sustaining hope that Susan will be found OK and preparing herself for the possibility that her daughter won't be returning home.

Chuck Cox has done more than 40 interviews about his missing daughter, including appearances on national shows including "Larry King Live," "Good Morning America" and "The Today Show" -- a pattern he wants to continue so he can "shout Susan's name from the rooftops."

He said the family doesn't plan to celebrate Christmas without Susan this year. Chuck Cox is instead planning to return to Salt Lake City soon, indefinitely, as the search for his daughter continues.

As word spreads in her hometown about the case, neighbors are reaching out to the Coxes. Carrie Mandt, who lives two doors down from Chuck and Judy Cox, left a candle and card outside the family's nativity scene on Friday evening.

Mandt said everyone in Washington who knows Susan and the Coxes want to help.

"None of us know what to do. We don't feel like we can go down there and find her," Mandt said. "Our prayers are with them."

For Susan's longtime friends, like Andrea Thomas, seeing the missing woman's face on the national news is surreal.

"I think, 'This must be Laci Peterson or some other person,'" Thomas said, referring to the 2002 case of the pregnant California woman murdered by her husband. "I keep thinking, is this really Susan? Is this really happening?"

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Friend: Joshua Powell 'Emotionally Drained' over Missing Wife

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:02 am

By Cathy Free

Saturday December 19, 2009 04:00 PM EST

Joshua (left) and Susan Powell, at a church function on Dec. 5

Ten days after his wife, Susan, went missing, Joshua Powell knocked on a friend's door in tears. For the next hour, he sat on Wayne Hamberg's living room sofa, sobbing, but saying nothing about Susan's mysterious disappearance on Dec. 6.

"He was so distressed, so despondent, so overwhelmed," says Powell's friend Wayne Hamberg, who met the 29-year-old Web site programmer about a year ago at a Salt Lake City computer club gathering.

"The reason he's not talking to police is he's just shut down," Hamberg, 49, a software engineer says about Joshua. "He's so emotionally drained and everybody's attacking him, making him out to be a Mark Hacking or a Scott Peterson. The Josh I know is not some kind of evil guy. I don't believe that's he's suicidal or anything like that, but right now, I don't think he's capable of doing much more than tying his own shoelaces."

Powell, whom police consider a person of interest (there have been no suspects named) in the case, has been under intense scrutiny since he told police he went on a midnight LINK "/people/article/0,,20331686,00.html" "desert camping trip"] in freezing conditions with his two sons, ages 2 and 4, on the night Susan Powell was last seen. Thus far, he has refused to retrace his whereabouts or give investigators an in-depth interview about the night's events.

Family Against Him
"I told him Tuesday night, when he came to see me, not to say anything to me about the circumstances, only to talk to his attorney," says Hamberg. "I want to be his friend, not somebody snooping around for a scoop. I'm there to support him and I'd like to think that he's innocent. I'd like to think that of all of my friends."

Hamberg noticed that Powell was thin and pale, as though he hadn't eaten in days. "I offered to make him dinner, but he refused, saying he just had no appetite for food – that it was tasteless," Hamberg says. "I gave him a hug, then he just sat on the couch and cried. He said the only thing keeping him going right now was his two boys. He's latched on to them as his sole mental support because even some of his own family members have turned on him now."

Although Hamberg has never met Susan Powell, he says Joshua talked about her occasionally during their twice-monthly club gatherings. "Usually, when he had something to say, it was nice," he says. "I do know, though, that he thought Susan was overspending. So there were some financial problems. But that happens to a lot of families."

Needs Support
During their visit at Hamberg's house, Joshua Powell told his friend that he'd been fired from his job because of all the bad publicity, and that the only reason he'd hired an attorney was because "he was so overwhelmed and needed some help."

"He didn't feel that anybody was sticking up for him," says Hamberg. "I've never seen a guy look so beaten down and withdrawn. I think the reason he's not commenting is because right now, he's just incapable of it – not because he has something to hide."

Whether Powell had something to do with his wife's disappearance or not, "he needs some emotional support right now and I'm there for him," says Hamberg. "I don't want to think about whether he could have done the unspeakable. I don't even go there. But I'm worried about Josh as a person. He could really use some friends right now."

Don't shoot the messenger. This is from People Magazine. I highly doubt Josh is so despondent that he is incabable of talking to police! BS

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:23 am

He is despondent because he knows the gig is up, that he will NOT get away with murdering his precious wife. He is in pain for himself....He lost HIS job, people are suspicious of HIM....it is all about HIM!!! crap pick in
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:48 pm

A Utah man considered a person of interest in the disappearance of his wife has left the state with the couple's two young children, his attorney said Sunday.

Josh Powell's attorney, Scott Williams, said in a text message to The Associated Press that his client went to his father's house in Washington state for the holidays with his sons.

Powell's wife Susan has been missing since Dec. 7. Josh Powell told police he last saw her at 12:30 a.m. that day when he took their sons on a camping trip and left her at home.

Police have called Josh Powell a person of interest and said he was not forthcoming in interviews with detectives.

Susan Powell's parents and siblings, who also live in Washington state, have said that they were saddened that Josh Powell had been named a person of interest, but not surprised. The family and Susan Powell's friends were planning a candlelight vigil Sunday night in Puyallup, Wash.

Williams said he was unsure whether Josh Powell planned to attend.

West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan on Sunday said there are no restrictions on Josh Powell's movements.

"He can come and go as he pleases," McLachlan said, adding that police would still like to speak with him again.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Father defends Joshua Powell

Post by Nama on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Joshua Powell's father said Sunday he believes his son is being "vilified" as questions swirl around the disappearance of his daughter-in-law, Susan Powell, who has now been missing for two weeks.

"The whole thing has just turned into a vilification of Josh and it will turn into a vilification of me, my ex-wife and my other kids," said Steven Powell, who spoke to The Salt Lake Tribune briefly through the partially open front door of his home Sunday.

"I'm not making any statement because it doesn't matter how benign it is or how supportive it is. Somebody will twist it around."

It's unclear whether Joshua Powell was at his father's home Sunday.

West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan said Joshua Powell left Utah on Friday or Saturday and is spending the holidays in Washington, his home state.

Powell's attorney, Scott C. Williams, said Joshua took the couple's two children, Charlie, 4, and Braden, 2, with him on the trip. Williams declined to answer further questions Sunday.

Steven Powell's home is located in a gated community called Country Hollow in South Hill, a community just outside of Puyallup, Wash. Joshua and Susan Powell both attended high school at nearby Rogers High school. Susan's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, also live in Puyallup.

On Friday, the Coxes told The Salt Lake Tribune that Steven Powell isn't actively
Advertisement
helping in the search for their daughter. The Coxes said they've had "issues" with Steven Powell in the past and aren't comfortable being around him.

Little other information about Joshua and his family has been available so far. His mother and sister who live in Utah have declined comment on the case. Kirk Graves, who is married to Joshua Powell's sister, Jennifer, has said in previous media interviews he wouldn't be surprised if Joshua Powell is arrested in connection with the case.

In Washington, many in the Puyallup area are familiar with Joshua's brother, Michael Powell, an Army veteran elected to be a national delegate for President Barack Obama. Powell ran as a Democrat for a seat in the Washington State House of Representatives this fall and lost.

According to Michael Powell's campaign Web site, michaelcpowell.org, Joshua Powell served as a "technical coordinator" during his brother's campaign.

Steven Powell asked The Salt Lake Tribune to not publish his comments after he spoke to reporters. Powell said his house and the subdivision around it are private property and said he worries if media discover where he lives, they will "camp out" near his house.

He told Tribune reporters to "please just go and please do not come back." Asked whether he wants a chance to speak on behalf of Joshua Powell and explain the reasons why he thinks his son has been unfairly vilified, Steven Powell said, "I don't need to explain anything. There is nothing to explain."

The Pierce County Sheriff Department -- the agency in charge of the areas where Steven Powell as well as Judy and Chuck Cox live -- is assisting West Valley City police with the case to find Susan Powell, spokesman Ed Troyer has said. Troyer declined to say who authorities have interviewed in Washington, but said they've been contacted by West Valley City police and are helping to gather any relevant information in the search for Susan Powell.

McLachlan said police learned of Joshua Powell's travels from Powell's West Valley City neighbors.

"We hope to still try to maintain contact with him so we can have an interview with him at some future time," McLachlan said.

"He's free to come and go as he wishes," he said.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Susan's husband, Josh, attends vigil in Puyallup, Wash

Post by Nama on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:06 am

A night of tears and celebration to honor missing West Valley City mother Susan Powell at a candlelight vigil in her hometown of Puyallup, Wash. took an unexpected turn Sunday when the man suspected of playing a role in her disappearance arrived at her candlelight vigil.

Joshua Powell, 34, who police have named as a person of interest in the case after Susan Powell, 28, was reported missing Dec. 7, did not speak to a hoard of cameras and media gathered at the event, held at the LDS Church ward chapel attended by Susan's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox.

He stood in a downpour surrounded by a tight group of supporters who shielded him from the media with umbrellas. Joshua's 4-year-old son, Charlie, accompanied him at the vigil and held a candle as many of Susan's friends and families stared at Joshua in surprise.

In Utah friends and supporters of the Powells gathered at a West Valley City chapel of the LDS Church for another candlelight vigil.

Joshua Powell's departure to Washington State mystified some of Susan's friends, who are organizing volunteer search efforts in Utah.

"It's hard for us to understand that," said Kayla Reed, who arrived at the West Valley City vigil with a box of fliers to distribute. "I would be frantic if it were my husband. I wouldn't be leaving the state."

At the Puyallup vigil, Joshua spoke to his wife's sister, Denise, briefly
and gave the woman a hug. After the encounter, she told The Salt Lake Tribune that she asked Joshua how he was doing, how Charlie and his brother Braden, 2, are doing and if she could speak to him later about recent events.

Joshua agreed to talk to her, a response she appreciates, she said.

Susan's mother and father walked by Joshua and did not stop to talk to him.

Earlier at the Puyallup vigil, a family spokeswoman said the night should be an occasion of hope, faith and love to "strengthen resolve to find Susan."

Shelby Gifford said the Cox family has received support from all over the world. Those at the vigil sang "Silent Night" and "Abide With Me," two of Susan's favorite hymns.

"We are gratified to know this will be sung in many languages," Gifford said, referring to efforts to hold a worldwide vigil for Susan on Sunday evening.

Two of Susan's friends, Nicole Owens and Darleen Allen, said the vigil in Puyallup was a chance for friends and family to share with the world the wonderful person Susan is.

Had it been one of Susan's friends missing, Nicole Owens said, "She would have done just as much, if not more" in getting out the word to find that friend.

A photo of Susan sat on a table surrounded by candles in Puyallup. Supporters wrote messages on the enlarged photo of the beaming 28-year-old woman.

Friends of Susan Powell in Utah said they are struggling to keep their hopes up. Rachel Marini wept as she sang "Silent Night" with others at the West Valley City vigil.

"It's hard to stay positive," she said. "We just keep hoping and praying."

Reed urged anyone who wants fliers to contact her via the "Friends and Family of Susan Powell" Facebook group.

"We're going door to door, ... and some people still don't know about this," she said.

James Hofheins, who administers the Facebook group, said a prayer at the vigil, and asked God to comfort Susan Powell's parents, her children and "all of her friends and family."

Joshua Powell was not mentioned .

"I'm still friends with Josh," said Kiirsi Hellewell, who has described Susan as her best friend.

"I know we're all praying for Josh," she said. "At least, some of us."

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm

How could Josh leave Utah, leave his home and NOT look for his wife IF he were innocent? How could he NOT be cooperating with the police if he were innocent?

I pray the find Susan's body. This ass is so guilty and his "alibi" is ridiculous.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamaree44 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:43 pm

I've been following this on the news. So sad. I too can't believe Josh would leave Utah. Seems like he'd want to stay and search. All seems too suspicious.

lisamaree44

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:46 pm

amen, lisamaree44! I think he knows he will be arrested soon.

And, welcome to VH!!! welcome2

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamaree44 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I think an arrest will be soon too.

lisamaree44

Back to top Go down

Normal A car rented by Josh Powell two days after his wife was reported missing was returned just 24 hours later with a lot of miles on it, according to police.

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:01 am

A car rented by Josh Powell two days after his wife was reported missing was returned just 24 hours later with a lot of miles on it, according to police.

"It looks like there were several hundred miles driven," West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan told the Deseret News.

Investigators do not know where the car was taken or where Josh Powell was during that 24-hour period. There was no GPS data stored in that rental car, said McLachlan, who declined Monday to say from where the vehicle was rented.

Powell reportedly rented the car after police seized his minivan — his only vehicle — to be processed for evidence in connection with the disappearance of his wife, Susan Powell. The van has since been returned to Josh Powell.

Questions surrounding the rental car are just a few of many to which West Valley police would like Josh Powell to provide detailed answers. But as of Monday, they say, he continues to be non-forthcoming and has not accepted their open invitation to return to police headquarters for another interview.

Powell has been named a person of interest in the missing person case by police, but not a suspect.

Josh Powell left Utah this weekend with his two young boys to spend the holidays in Washington. Neighbors have reported seeing many of the family's items being moved out of their house. Police say Powell is free to come and go as he pleases because he is not a suspect. Investigators do not know how long he intends to stay in Washington.

Friends say Powell was recently fired from his job. They told the Deseret News that he said he was fired because of the attention surrounding his wife's disappearance.

He attended Sunday night's rainy vigil in Puyallup, as did Susan's grandparents, parents and siblings. Josh Powell did not speak to reporters gathered at the event.

Josh came after the vigil had ended and family members were hugging each other before leaving, said Shelby Gifford, a family spokeswoman and a friend of Susan Powell. He arrived with his 4-year-old son, Charlie, and a group of friends who shielded him from others already at the vigil, including Susan's family, with umbrellas, she said.

Chuck Cox, Susan's father, later posted on a Facebook page dedicated to Susan that he wasn't sure why Josh showed up at the vigil. The post has since been removed.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal local defense attorney answers questions surrounding Powell case

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:07 am

With all eyes on the investigation now, many wonder: Will they ever find Susan alive? Without a body, can police still charge a suspect?

One of the Valley's most high profile defense attorneys says, much like other cases in Utah's history, if there's enough circumstantial evidence that a homicide has occurred, a person can be charged, even without the finding of a body.

In 1995, with Kiplyn Davis, and again, in 2004, with Lori Hacking, these suspects were all charged with homicides without finding a body.

Mark Hacking was charged before Lori's body was found, and Kiplyn Davis' case proceeded as a homicide even though her body's never been located.

We spoke with attorney Gregg Skordas who's done both defense and prosecuting work. He says, “Without that component, it is a lot harder to prosecute a homicide, but it's not impossible.”

Skordas also answered another question asked by those who raise eyebrows at Josh Powell's recent actions: Can the police do anything to stop Josh's silence…or stop him from “hindering their investigation”? Skordas says, “The constitutional protection of the 5th amendment, the right to remain silent, overrides any right that the police have to investigate a case, to solve a case.”

Also under scrutiny as of late, the police's decision to what some call “softball'” Powell with his designation as only a “person of interest'” or the least suspected ranking on the legal scale. Skordas says, “I think from the police perspective, as soon as you identify someone as a suspect, it is far more likely that they are not going to cooperate with you, or talk to you anymore.” Not only, he says, do they continue dialogue that way, but he says the delay in elevating the ranking could be because police want to make sure they are researching each and every possibility, thoroughly. Skordas says, “If you investigate one individual and you designate him a target or suspect, and you later learn it is really someone else, you've tainted both investigations.”

ABC4 talked with police and neighbors who say they don't know how long Powell will be in Washington. According to the attorney we spoke with today, there are no legal restrictions for a person of interest to leave the state. Once someone is formally charged with a crime, then there are travel restrictions.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Susan Powell told friends of fears, struggles before her disappearance

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:13 am

A year before she disappeared, Susan Powell told a wide circle of friends she was preparing for the worst if she sought a divorce: that her husband might try to kidnap their sons and break her financially.

She said she had set up a separate bank account, arranged a place to stay if she decided to leave, and had informally written a will, according to friends who requested anonymity because they are not authorized by police to speak about the investigation. And Susan Powell made sure many knew of her preparations.

Susan Powell ultimately decided to stay and work on the relationship after fasting and praying.

While friends and family say the marriage had improved during the past year, the trail Susan Powell, 28, left behind explains why Joshua Powell has become the focus of efforts to find his wife. Joshua Powell also was the last person to see Susan Powell alive on Dec. 7, when he told police he left her at home and took their four- and two-year-old sons on a late-night camping trip in Utah's snowy west desert.

On Monday, there was no sign of an eminent break in what is still being called a missing persons case. Police said they were waiting for results from the state crime lab, which is testing DNA evidence taken from the couple's home five days ago.

Friends said they told her the relationship wasn't healthy and confirm that they encouraged Susan Powell to leave her husband, whom they have described as controlling and emotionally abusive. A friend has said Susan Powell was at one point poised to return to Washington with the aid of her parents.

Joshua Powell, 33, was upset his wife was depositing money into an account he didn't have access to, said friends who added that they encouraged Susan to stand up to him. Family members have said the couple got marital counseling at Susan Powell's urging.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:05 am

Charles Cox has changed his views. He said last night on TV that he does think Joshua is involved now, it was at the end of NG.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:07 am

How can anyone look at the facts of this case and NOT suspect Josh Powell?

Where did he go in that rental car? It was not stated, but I would presume LE has dna'd the car and checked it w/a fined-tooth comb. Why wouldn't he tell LE where he went in the rental car?

I mean, really..this is b.s. This guy didn't like the fact that Susan had opened an account in her name and he couldn't get to her money. She was taking a stand and he couldn't handle it.

And, I am sorry and I hope I don't piss anyone off but not eating (fasting) has zip to do with attempting to save your marriage. I wish she HAD taken the kids and left his sorry ass and gone to Washington to her parents.

This Josh Powell is nuts. He is more than a control freak IMHO. He is a cold blooded killer. Either that or he planned this out and hired someone else to off her but I think she is dead and jail is just around the corner for Josh. :mad:

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:06 am

You are right wrap, I know one thing the bible says
"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God's". Spiritual demands may supercede in some peoples minds earthly ones but do not abolish them. Common sense ladies, your good old fashioned common sense and intuition, when it says time to leave... GO.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:04 am

This case is a bit different than others. I don't see the arrogance in this guy that I have seen in others like Scott Peterson and Drew Peterson.. I had a aaha moment today and said..what if he didn't do it? Naaa I said, he did it. But for a moment I thought...could it be somebody else. Could he have taken off mad and she had somebody in that murdered her. He looks soooo obvious but evidently they aren't finding evidence.

I am anxious to see how this plays out. He is either very, very guilty or an innocent man. Funny they haven't gotten any goods on him yet..enough to arrest.

I am playing devils advocate here..now I am ducking and running..
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:16 am

Well he has certain characteristics of some husbands who kill - past financial problems so that a divorce might cause him future money problems for child support or spousal support that would be viewed very negatively, a controlling personality, perhaps a strong religious streak that might view divorce as not to be desired for the communities eyes (this last one is a real stretch I have no idea about his views here). Feeling he owned his wife and/or children and thinking she would try to take them. Feeling he was losing control of the entire situation as he knew that continuing his ways would probably bring about divorce. The biggest thing for me is the controlling behavior and emotional abuse. I have seen that many times when women try to get away from men with these particular characteristics that their husbands turn to murder.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:20 am

I saw Susan’s Father on JVM last night. His heartbreak was more than my soul could bare. My thoughts and prayers go out to Susan’s' family. Those poor little boys of hers. I just feel so awful for them. I think Susan’s Father is choosing his words very carefully and wisely because of his Grandson’s. He don’t want to risk never seeing them again because he said the wrong thing about their Father. What an awful position to be in.

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:22 am

Yes grandparents have no rights - sick isnt it.
All that talk about "it takes a village" and most courts
wont give grandparents any standing when wanting to see their grandchildren if there is a problem. Im disgusted with the whole damn system.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:50 am

West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan says he is feeling heat from the community to make an arrest.

"The pressure is to conduct the investigation of this missing person in a legal fashion where we can get a resolution that will stand up in any court," he says.

In the investigation, police want to know more about a rental car. They tell the Deseret News Josh Powell rented a car two days after his wife was reported missing, then returned it a day later with several hundred miles put on it. Police say they do not know where the car was taken and there was no GPS data stored. Josh Powell has not talked to police about it.

Powell rented the car after police seized his minivan to process it for evidence.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:51 am

I think it's just a matter of time and Josh Powell is toast!

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 am

Does Powell have any parents or relatives? I havent heard of any so if someone knows please post. In cases like this, if he is arrested then I guess the grandparents fight over who can take the children?
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:04 am

Susan and Josh both have parents and siblings that live in Washington.....where Josh is right now.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:06 am

Has anyone calculated where in each direction he could go for about 200 miles? He certainly couldnt have gone from Utah to Washington in 200 miles - right?
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:17 am

Her Dad, Mr. Cox was on JVM lastnight. Seems her family is questioning what really happened to her and not as sure of his innocence now based on his behavior.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum