Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Impromptu shrine to Shaniya Davis grows at site body found

2 posters

Go down

Impromptu shrine to Shaniya Davis grows at site body found Empty Impromptu shrine to Shaniya Davis grows at site body found

Post by Wrapitup Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:36 pm

By Nancy McCleary
Staff writer

Less than a half-mile off busy N.C. 87 on Walker Road is a memorial to a little girl whose brutal death sent shock waves through the Cape Fear region and beyond.

Stuffed animals, cards, candles and messages of love have been piled into two makeshift shrines for Shaniya Davis.

This is where the body of the 5-year-old girl was found six days after her mother reported her missing from her home in Fayetteville.

An autopsy report revealed that Shaniya had been raped and strangled.

Her mother, Antoinette Davis, has been charged with prostituting her daughter.

Mario Andrette McNeil, also of Fayetteville, is charged with killing and raping Shaniya.

Most of the people who have paid homage to Shaniya never knew her.

But they have been touched by the tragedy that made national headlines.
Memorials

The two makeshift shrines have been set up on the winding, rural road just south of Carolina Trace.

Stuffed animals, at least 100 total, are piled on the ground around wooden pallets converted into rustic altars.

Heavy plastic covers most of them.

It looks more like a yard sale than a memorial.

Until you look more closely and see pictures of Shaniya and the cards and letters with her name on them.

A smiling ceramic snowman stands atop the roadside pallet. "Merry Christmas, From: Olivia Gang" is written across his belly.

A weather-beaten copy of "The Night Before Christmas" and a stuffed Grinch have been placed on the ground.

There's a picture of three little girls, each with her hands clasped in prayer and wearing angel wings.

Beneath it are the words of Matthew 18:20: "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

To the right of that is a white metal cross with a pink heart in its center and Shaniya's picture at the top. On the back it reads: "Sanford Muffler, Fabricated and painted by Erik Donithan and Jordan Coggins."

Some dolls have been stuffed between the boards of a pallet atop a set of table legs. A message is written across the boards: "No mosters (sic) now. Your in a safer place. You will never get hurt again. R.I.P. Shaniya. We Love You!"

It's signed "Kayla, Danielle, Kelly and Quay'Veon."

It's still hard for some of the people living nearby to see the reminders, said one woman, who did not want to be identified.

A lot of the residents took part in the two-day search for Shaniya along Walker Road.

"It still breaks your heart," the woman said. "I admire the people who put them up, and it's touched a lot of people."

But maybe it's time to take them down, she said.

"Every time I go by there, I can't help but visualize her face."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Impromptu shrine to Shaniya Davis grows at site body found Empty Re: Impromptu shrine to Shaniya Davis grows at site body found

Post by songline Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:59 am

Wrapitup wrote:By Nancy McCleary
Staff writer

Less than a half-mile off busy N.C. 87 on Walker Road is a memorial to a little girl whose brutal death sent shock waves through the Cape Fear region and beyond.

Stuffed animals, cards, candles and messages of love have been piled into two makeshift shrines for Shaniya Davis.

This is where the body of the 5-year-old girl was found six days after her mother reported her missing from her home in Fayetteville.

An autopsy report revealed that Shaniya had been raped and strangled.

Her mother, Antoinette Davis, has been charged with prostituting her daughter.

Mario Andrette McNeil, also of Fayetteville, is charged with killing and raping Shaniya.

Most of the people who have paid homage to Shaniya never knew her.

But they have been touched by the tragedy that made national headlines.
Memorials

The two makeshift shrines have been set up on the winding, rural road just south of Carolina Trace.

Stuffed animals, at least 100 total, are piled on the ground around wooden pallets converted into rustic altars.

Heavy plastic covers most of them.

It looks more like a yard sale than a memorial.

Until you look more closely and see pictures of Shaniya and the cards and letters with her name on them.

A smiling ceramic snowman stands atop the roadside pallet. "Merry Christmas, From: Olivia Gang" is written across his belly.

A weather-beaten copy of "The Night Before Christmas" and a stuffed Grinch have been placed on the ground.

There's a picture of three little girls, each with her hands clasped in prayer and wearing angel wings.

Beneath it are the words of Matthew 18:20: "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

To the right of that is a white metal cross with a pink heart in its center and Shaniya's picture at the top. On the back it reads: "Sanford Muffler, Fabricated and painted by Erik Donithan and Jordan Coggins."

Some dolls have been stuffed between the boards of a pallet atop a set of table legs. A message is written across the boards: "No mosters (sic) now. Your in a safer place. You will never get hurt again. R.I.P. Shaniya. We Love You!"

It's signed "Kayla, Danielle, Kelly and Quay'Veon."

It's still hard for some of the people living nearby to see the reminders, said one woman, who did not want to be identified.

A lot of the residents took part in the two-day search for Shaniya along Walker Road.

"It still breaks your heart," the woman said. "I admire the people who put them up, and it's touched a lot of people."

But maybe it's time to take them down, she said.

"Every time I go by there, I can't help but visualize her face."

[url=http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/03/24/985500
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There is a lady name (user name) is ORIA she is on another site I post on. She has a search dog and is a great lady, who was out there looking for angel faced shanaiya. she planted a garden in that space that is blooming beautifully. I have seen the photos. I am really glad that she has done this, I am really glad that she is keeping the little angel alive in the minds of many. The system sucks and wants us to forget this case, they postpone it every chance they get, they want us to be tired of it all. they do not report much about it. PUBLIC OPINION does matter, and they are more interested in the millions they invested in the area and dont want bad news. I AM GLAD THIS SHRIN IS UP. I HOPE IT STAYS UP FOR EVER !!!
songline
songline

Back to top Go down