John Gardner pleads guilty in the deaths of Amber Dubois and Chelsea King and is sentenced to LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Re: John Gardner pleads guilty in the deaths of Amber Dubois and Chelsea King and is sentenced to LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE

Post by charminglane on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Oh, it gets worse.
I have had former students of mine killed in drive-bys.
My best friends brother (who was the same age as my bro and in the same classes at the high school) was killed by some guy he met at the mall. He had stood up another friend of mine for lunch that day. When he didn't report for work after school at his uncles meat shop the family went looking. He was missing for more than a week when his cousin saw someone driving HIS CAR on the freeway and followed the guy home. It was reported to the police and he lead them to Matt's body on the side of the freeway, where he had been dumped after being shot 5 times.
Arcadia, Ca is one of the best places to raise your kids in the country, however, you have to be vigilant.

charminglane

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: John Gardner pleads guilty in the deaths of Amber Dubois and Chelsea King and is sentenced to LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE

Post by laga on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:13 pm

I am curious about what his defense will be. I hate that this process will be so long and drawn out, so stressful for Chelsea's family and friends. I would like to see a fast track system straight to the chair for cases like this.
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 pm

What bothers me is that he is quite a nice-looking man - he should have no trouble getting a girlfriend! What is wrong with him? He apparently was living with his mother - I am very curious what kind of a relationship he had with his mother... he seems to be harbouring anger towards women.

As the mother of a young boy (10 years old), I am concerned about how these "monsters" are created! Although my son doesn't display any deviant behaviour, I'm always vigilant. I've always tried to maintain a healthy relationship with him, so I can only hope & pray that he turns into a responsible young man one day!

Back to top Go down

Normal A Chilling View into Suspect's Past Shows Red Flags Ignored

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Chelsea King's accused killer, John Albert Gardner III, was described by a court-appointed psychiatrist as a "danger to the community," in a probation report filed a decade ago, and released Tuesday by the San Diego County Superior Court.

Gardner pleaded guilty in 2000 to committing lewd and lascivious acts on a 13-year-old girl. The girl had skipped school and went to Gardner's mother's house in San Diego's Rancho Bernardo neighborhood to watch a movie.

According to the complaint Gardner heaved the girl onto a couch and pulled down her pants. When she resisted, he choked her and hit her repeatedly in the face and head, leaving her heavily bruised and vomiting before she escaped

During the sentencing phase a probation report quoted Dr. Matthew F. Carroll as saying that Gardner's "predilection toward younger girls is a problem. He manifests significant predatory traits and is a danger to the community."

Carroll recommended that Gardner get the maximum sentence allowed, 10 years, but the prosecutor in the case recommended six. He ultimately served five years before being released on probation.

Gardner later insisted he was innocent, saying he accepted a plea bargain to avoid getting "reamed" at trial. The girl had been beaten by her mother, he said.

"The defendant's cool denial of culpability is cause for the gravest concern," a probation officer wrote in the 2000 report.

He is now accused of attempting to rape a woman in December and of killing Chelsea. Gardner is also being investigated in the suspected slaying of Amber Dubois, a 14-year-old Escondido, Calif. girl whose skeletal remains were found Sunday in a remote area of northern San Diego County.

Gardner, whose mother lives in Rancho Bernardo, was arrested at an Escondido, Calif. restaurant on Feb. 28. A state Justice Department spokeswoman said he was identified by DNA analysis of semen on a piece of King's clothing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Family strains outlined in probation report; preliminary hearing set for Aug. 4

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:11 pm

As a teenager, John Albert Gardner III was paid to keep people safe — first as a seasonal lifeguard at a resort in the San Bernardino Mountains, then as a ride operator at Santa’s Village amusement park.

He thought of becoming a math teacher, maybe joining the military or a police department. But in 2000, facing prison time for molesting a 13-year-old girl, he knew those dreams were gone, according to a probation report The San Diego Union-Tribune obtained yesterday.

A week after Gardner was charged with murder in the death of Poway teenager Chelsea King, a clearer picture of his background and 2000 sexual-assault conviction emerged with the court-ordered release of that report.

San Diego Superior Court Judge David Danielsen ordered the court to unseal it at the request a day earlier of the Union-Tribune and its media partner, KGTV Channel 10.

Danielsen also set Aug. 4 as the date for Gardner’s preliminary hearing.

Gardner, 30, is also the focus of an investigation into the death of Escondido teenager Amber Dubois, whose remains were recovered Saturday after she went missing 13 months ago.

The probation report on Gardner offers details about his family history and the medications he took over time for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

He claims to have taken 18 medications altogether, a statement a psychiatrist who evaluated him in 2000 didn’t believe. The report says Gardner took Ritalin, Cylert, Zoloft, Paxil and Wellbutrin, Tegretol, Mellaril, Imipramine and Wellbutrin.

Some of these drugs are common ADHD treatments, and others are prescribed for depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

The report says he stopped taking medication before he turned 16.

Gardner was most recently living in Lake Elsinore. He was released from prison in September 2005 after serving five years of a six-year sentence.

On March 16, 2000, Gardner brought a girl, who is not identified in the report, to his home before school and began giving her a massage as they were watching a movie. She resisted and repeatedly told him to stop as his advances became more physical. He groped her on the floor, on the couch, upstairs in his bedroom and again on the couch, where he hit her repeatedly in the head.

At one point, the report says, he asked if he was scaring her. Before she rushed out the door with unzipped pants and one shoe, the report says, “the defendant hugged her when it was over and said that he was sorry; that he didn’t know what he had been thinking.”

The probation report concludes that the 13-year-old girl who knew and trusted and was assaulted by Gardner is “quite probably marred ... for life.”

“It is very fortunate that the victim was not severely injured,” it says. “Even so, one can only imagine the terror she must have felt. Finally, the defendant’s cool denial of culpability is cause for the gravest concern.”

The report notes that Gardner’s uncle, stepfather and father “are all alcoholics,” that his father spanked him with a belt and that Gardner “felt that he went over the line to abusiveness.”

It also says that Gardner said his relationship with his mother “is somewhat strained at times because they share a small apartment and get on each other’s nerves.”

Gardner’s mother is a registered nurse, according to state records. She is also the legislative committee chairwoman of the California Chapter of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, according to its newsletters. In April, she protested state mental health care funding cuts during a walk in San Diego to raise money for the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

She has not responded to interview requests since her son’s arrest. Gardner’s father died at the age of 64 in 2008.

In 2000, the county’s psychiatrist, Dr. Matthew Carroll, said he found a “pervasive oddness” about the case and recommended Gardner be locked away as long as possible.

Nancy Kincaid, spokeswoman for the state Department of Mental Health, said yesterday after reviewing the probation report that she agreed with Carroll’s assertion that Gardner would not have benefitted from sex offender treatment in 2000 because he thought he did nothing wrong.

“You can’t compel treatment and have it be effective,” she said.

The department monitors sexually violent predators, a designation for which Gardner would not have qualified under the law at the time.

Kincaid said that to be classified as a sexually violent predator in 2000, an offender would have had to be convicted of one of nine violent crimes — such as rape, sexual assault or child molestation — against more than one victim. An offender would also have to have a diagnosed mental disorder, such as pedophilia.

Jessica’s Law, enacted by the voters in 2006, expanded the number of applicable crimes to 35 and reduced the number of victims to one.

Under that law, Gardner might have faced a much harsher punishment.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal John Gardner in court for Chelsea King murder

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Yesterday, John Gardner appeared in court for the rape and murder of 17-year-old Chelsea King. John Gardner III appeared briefly and was separated by a glass wall. It was determined that his next hearing will be postponed until August 4, 2010. Last week, John Gardner plead not guilty to rape and murder charges regarding Chelsea King. Now, he is the subject of another case, the death of 14-year-old Amber Dubois.

In the court appearance John Gardner spoke little and answered the judge’s questions with a simple yes. When asked if Gardner had been advised of his rights and if he understood them, he said yes. He was also asked if he agreed to waive time for his preliminary examination, to which he answered yes.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Neighbors Recall Gardner's Childhood As Uneventful

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Former neighbors of the man accused of killing 17-year-old Chelsea King told 10News that John Gardner didn't leave much of an impression on their community while growing up.
On Thursday, 10News traveled to Running Springs and Lake Arrowhead in Riverside County to see the area where he was raised.
Jo Braasch told 10News she knew Gardner and his family very well, but said she was caught completely off guard when she learned Gardner was charged with the murder and rape of King.

He never caused problems with the neighborhood, Braasch said.
"I'm one that watches out for things," said Braasch, who for the past 15 years has lived right next to the red, cabin-style house in Running Springs where Gardner grew up.
According to an article in the Lake Arrowhead Mountain-News, members of the 1997 graduating class recall Gardner, but said he didn't make a particular impression on them. They also described him as "dorky and unpopular," and said he "kept to himself."
School officials at Rim of the World High School declined to comment on Gardner. They told 10News "the issue is way too sensitive,” and said they wanted to keep their privacy.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Marica on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Sex crime, resulting in death of a child should be automatic death penalty or at the very least LWOP.
Stiffer sentences must be given to those who commit sex crimes against children.
Marica

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:16 am

Thanks for the updates, BJ! I appreciate learning more about his upbringing & family life, and was surprised to read that his mother is a nurse, and also the legislative committee chairwoman of the California Chapter of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. I'm not too surprised that she didn't want to be interviewed!

The only thing that stood out as a "red flag" was that his uncle, stepfather, and father were alcoholics. I guess he was exposed to violent behaviour as a result. Interesting to read that he was "dorky and unpopular" as a teenager.

I guess whatever led him to commit the crimes he has allegedly committed, is irrelevant now. Two young women are dead, and he is now facing the rest of his life behind bars! huge waste

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:21 am

It makes me wonder how many other girls he molested who got away and haven't come forward? As you said, he isn't bad looking. I can see a girl being physically attracted to him.

There are many people who grew up with alcoholism and/or drugs in their childhood environment and they don't turn out to be murderers and rapists.

If he wasn't taking his medication OR taking too much medication, this could be a factor.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:56 am

by Wrapitup Today at 4:21 am It makes me wonder how many other girls he molested who got away and haven't come forward? As you said, he isn't bad looking. I can see a girl being physically attracted to him.
Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal A photo released by the state yesterday shows John Albert Gardner III holding a prison ID card in 2000.

Post by Nama on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:38 am

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Don't think about it too long, Madame D.A.

Post by Nama on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:42 am

In a more perfect world — or at least a society with a more efficient criminal justice system in which sex offenders get longer sentences and are subject to more thorough monitoring once they get out of prison — King might be alive today. In fact, if there is any good that can come of this horrible tragedy, it might be in the form of a new political movement to strengthen the laws for dealing with sex offenders and close some of the loopholes that now render many of the present statutes useless.

Californians know how to make change. The three-strikes law, where a third conviction can bring a life sentence, was enacted here in 1994. Later, more than 20 states and the federal government adopted their own versions to combat recidivism and limit judicial discretion.

It's time to do it again. There is nothing more fundamental to the survival of a society than its ability to protect its children. Stories like that of Chelsea King remind us that we don't always do a good job at that. In fact, sometimes we fail miserably. When that happens, lives are lost. Others are destroyed. Changing the law is how we can begin to make amends.

As for Gardner's fate, San Diego County District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis has said that she hasn't yet decided whether to seek the death penalty because it only "should be used and exercised in those cases that are the most serious."

Don't think about it too long, Madame D.A. Criminal cases don't get more serious than this. It's because of predators who refuse to admit what they've done, let alone show remorse, that we have capital punishment in the first place. So if Gardner is convicted, we should make sure that he gets to experience the concept up close.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:00 pm

BJ in OR wrote:
by Wrapitup Today at 4:21 am It makes me wonder how many other girls he molested who got away and haven't come forward? As you said, he isn't bad looking. I can see a girl being physically attracted to him.
Don't judge a book by it's cover.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Father of twins

Post by Nama on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:18 pm

We’re learning more about John Albert Gardner III. The man charged with Chelsea King’s murder and rape, and who is being investigated for Amber Dubois’ murder, is a father and the son of a highly-educated mother.

John Gardner’s mother and his stepfather, Cathy Osborne and Kevin O’Neill, are both members of the San Diego Hash House Harriers, a group that describes itself as a “Drinking Club with a Running Problem.”

On Dec. 27, the group hosted a running event on the same day and location where John Gardner is accused of attacking a woman.

Gardner’s stepfather wrote in the group’s newsletter that day, “Disturbing news at the start…when other members…give us word that a girl had been attacked that morning in the trails where we would be running.”

Kevin O’Neill runs a family photo touch up company out of his Rancho Bernardo home while Cathy teaches behavioral health at Scripps.

On her LinkedIn page, Cathy says she cares for “some of the most challenging psychiatric patients.”

Court documents from 2000 show her son, John Gardner, took at least 8 different psychiatric medications while living with Cathy, including Ritalin, Zoloft, and Paxil.

Last week, Chelsea King’s parents told San Diego 6 that they believed Cathy was putting neighbors in danger by allowing her son to stay at her home. ”Anyone who is a parent cannot in good conscience sit there and say, ‘Yes, it’s okay to let this person live next door.’ You cannot — you cannot tell me.”

Now we’re learning Gardner is a parent of twin boys. But the convicted sex offender never married his children’s mother.

Jariah Baker, the mother of John Gardner's twin boys.

By 2009, The Enterprise Report says, he was living with Jariah Baker at an apartment not far from Escondido High School where 14-year-old Amber Dubois disappeared. Sources tell us Baker is now working with authorities on the Dubois murder investigation.

The black Nissan Sentra that Gardner was seen driving is registered to Baker. The Enterprise Report obtained a ticket John Gardner received while driving the sedan on January 30th in Lake Elsinore.

He was stopped at a DUI check point and ticketed for failing to have registration or proof of insurance.

Last week, San Diego 6 broke the story of a man matching Gardner’s description following another young girl in a black car as she walked home from Bernardo Heights Middle School. The suspect in that case was eventually scared off.

Sources said the black Sentra was seized by investigators.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal VIDEO ON THIS LINK that goes along with the last post.

Post by Nama on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Good sleuthing, BJ and great article!! Thanks!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Gov. Schwarzenegger orders review of sex offender, John Gardner III

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:06 pm

By DON THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer Don Thompson, Associated Press Writer – 23 mins ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ordered a review Friday of the way the state handled a molestation case involving a man who is now charged with murdering one California teenager and under investigation in another killing.

The order came a day after The Associated Press disclosed John Albert Gardner III could have been sent back to prison in 2007 for parole violations and evaluated for possible commitment to a state mental hospital as a sexually violent predator.

"We must learn from what happened in this case to make sure the public is protected from sexual predators," Schwarzenegger said in a statement detailing his order to the state Sex Offender Management Board.

Gardner, 30, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Chelsea King in San Diego County. He also is a suspect but has not been charged in the killing of 14-year-old Amber Dubois, who disappeared as she walked to school in Escondido in early 2009.

The 17-member board includes law enforcement officials, crime victims, treatment experts and others who advise the governor and Legislature on sex offender policies.

Gardner pleaded guilty in 2000 to molesting a 13-year-old neighbor. He spent five years in prison and three years on parole before being released from supervision in September 2008.

Parole records independently obtained by the AP showed Gardner could have been sent back to prison in 2007 and 2008 for violations that included living too close to a college daycare center.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation has said it was trying to determine if actions regarding Gardner's parole were consistent with policy and law.

"We are taking every appropriate step to review these case factors to determine if these potential infractions warranted a return to prison on their merits," Corrections Secretary Matthew Cate said in a statement.

Oscar Hidalgo, spokesman for the department, previously said Gardner was considered to be a low- or moderate-risk sex offender, based on the assessment in use at the time.

He wasn't sent back to prison in September 2007 because he corrected the residency violation by moving away from the daycare center, Hidalgo said.

Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, R-San Diego, called for an investigation of the department and intends to hold public hearings before proposing legislation to increase penalties and oversight of sex offenders.

Assemblyman Pedro Nava, D-Santa Barbara, said he would amend one of his existing bills now in the state Senate to increase the penalty for a first offense of raping a minor to a mandatory 25 years to life in prison.

The current punishment is 15 years to life and also depends on the age of the victim. Nava is a former prosecutor who is running for attorney general.

Nava's bill also proposes creating a system to call the cell phones of residents in a specific area letting them know when a sex crime has been committed in their neighborhood.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Friend remembers 'wild and crazy' Gardner She says the accused killer once confided in her about abuse by a male relative

Post by Nama on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:12 pm

This is the John Albert Gardner III that Jennifer Brandt knows.

The wacky guy who walks into convenience stores wearing nothing but a paper bag over his head and yells, “I’m naked.” Or holds onto car bumpers to get hauled up mountain roads on in-line skates as they smoke and melt.

Brandt, who graduated with Gardner from Rim of the World High School in Lake Arrowhead in 1997 and was a close friend for the next few years, remembered him as “kind of wild and crazy, always trying to get attention.”

Gardner, convicted of molesting a 13-year-old girl in 2000 at age 20, is now accused of killing and raping Poway teenager Chelsea King, and is under investigation in the death of Escondido teenager Amber Dubois.

Brandt, 31, who lives in Indianapolis, Ind. now, said today that Gardner so liked to be the center of attention that before one of his court appearances in 2000 he flexed muscles in a shirt and tie for a camera, then climbed a tall tree wearing bluejeans and no shirt.

That day, Brandt said, Gardner took off his court get-up — and threw on the bluejeans temporarily — to help a friend unload lumber from the back of a truck.

Brandt said several friends from the San Bernardino Mountains were gathering in Cedar Glen to wish him well in court before he headed to San Diego with some of them.

“He professed his innocence to us, and since he had never done anything like that, we believed him,” she said.

Brandt said she was close enough to Gardner before his 2000 court conviction that he would confide in her about the bipolar disorder that he’d been diagnosed with and that sometimes he showed signs of it.

“Most of the time he was pretty up,” she said.

He told her he felt suicidal after one girlfriend broke up with him, and he told her a male relative had sexually abused him more than once when he was younger.

One time, she was visiting Gardner in Rancho Bernardo, where he moved in 1998, and she drove him to a grocery store, where he stole two bottles of booze.

“When he came out, he didn’t have any bags,” she said. “And I said, ‘Why did you go in?’”

He proceeded to pull out two bottles of alcohol from his pants, she said.

She said she didn’t see him drunk or drinking often, but that day, “We went back and got drunk and got silly.”

Another time, he gathered some friends from San Bernardino County and drove them down to watch an ice hockey practice of his, she said.

“He loved ice hockey,” she said. “It was something he was passionate about. But he got kicked off or didn’t make the team because he had been late several times. They didn’t want him around if he was going to be late.”

Gardner first told his friends that the 13-year-old victim he molested and hit in the head in 2000 was blaming him for something a boyfriend did to her, Brandt said.

After he pleaded guilty, these friends stopped supporting him and “were all devastated,” she said.

“It was so horrific that none of us wanted to talk about it at the time,” Brandt said.

And none of her friends have any desire to talk about the latest allegations, she said.

“He learned a lot of bad habits in prison,” she said of Gardner. “But he earned the right to be there.”

Brandt said there’s no way anyone could have predicted their friend would face the future he does.

“You can put all that together and say this is what has led up to that,” she said. “But there are people out there who have all that done to them, and they don’t go around killing people. You just never know who it’s going to be and what’s going to cause it.”

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:20 am

Interesting.... thanks for posting these articles BJ & Wrap! It sounds like he was a fairly "normal" young man, although he suffered from "bipolar disorder" (I don't think that can be used as an excuse for murder though).

It is sad to hear that he was sexually abused as a boy -- I wonder if he ever got counselling for that? Also sad to hear he is the father of twin boys - esp. sad for the boys having to grow up with their father in prison, and for such a heinous crime. Hopefully, their mother will marry a decent man that will be a good example for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:37 am

Re-reading my last post, I realized that it sounds very sympathetic towards John Gardner, the alleged rapist/murderer of Chelsea King & Amber Dubois. Although I am disgusted & horrified at the crimes he allegedly committed, I find myself wanting to know "how" an innocent young boy can turn into a violent young man. It really scares me!

Having a 10 year old son myself, I find that I am extra cautious about the movies he watches & video games he plays. There are so many with violent content! I know that I can't avoid it altogether, but I really feel that parents need to be more vigilant about the violence their sons are exposed to through video games, movies, music, etc. If we don't, we are helping to create "little monsters"!

I am glad to hear that Gov. Arnold Schwarenegger is ordering a review of this case, and I do hope & pray that the laws toughen up in California & everywhere! At the same time, we need to do our part in protecting our sons & daughters... JMO!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:24 am

This guys parents have money from what I've heard. They are both successful. Maybe he was spoiled rotten. Something about his good looks remind me of Scott Peterson. I wonder how they will support him through this mess he's in. I would like to know more about his childhood, too. I always want to know "the rest of the story".

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Ex-friend: Gardner sexually abused and suicidal over breakup

Post by Nama on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:44 am

A former close friend of accused killer John Gardner has come forward with shocking revelations about his past.

Jennifer Brandt and Gardner weren't close in high school, but became friends shortly after they graduated from the Class of 1997 at Rim of the World high school near Lake Arrowhead, California.

"He was a fun and crazy guy," Brandt said.

That was the John Gardner who Jennifer Brandt thought she knew, until his 2000 conviction for molesting and assaulting a 13-year-old girl.

"Pretty much all of his friends were hurt and betrayed by him after that. We stopped all contact with him," Brandt said.

She hasn't spoken to Gardner since then. In fact, she says she hasn't even thought of his name in years, until he made national headlines.

"It was shocking. This was a guy I hung out with, I stayed the night on his couch," she said.

She told News 8 on the phone from Indianapolis that John once admitted to her a dark secret.

"He had on one occasion spoken to me about how a male family member had sexually abused him when he was young. He was almost in tears talking about it. I don't even remember how the subject was brought up but it was obviously something he needed to talk about, and I was there to listen," she said.

"It's very painful right now. We had several very deep conversations," Brandt said of her former friendship with Gardner.

She says Gardner admitted he had major mood swings and claimed his mother once committed him to a mental hospital.

On one occasion, she and her friends watched from a car while Gardner streaked a convenience store, Brandt told News 8.

"He got completely naked and put a bag on his head and ran in the store. And the thing that was funny was, there was nobody in the store. The clerk was in the back," she recalled.

Gardner also threatened suicide a couple years after high school when his then girlfriend Jennifer Tripp dumped him, said Brandt. Tripp is a couple years younger than Gardner and was still in school at the time of the breakup, according to Brandt.

"He missed her and he would cry about it and there was nothing left to live for without her," Brandt recalled Gardner telling her.

Brandt also believes Tripp – the girlfriend who broke Gardner's heart -- resembles both Chelsea King and Amber Dubois.

"From the photos that I see… the blue eyes, the straight hair… they all look like the girl he dated in high school and broke his heart," Brandt said.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Can Gardner's parents be blamed in Chelsea's death?

Post by Nama on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:41 pm

The man accused of murdering 17-year-old Chelsea King was staying at his parents' home at the time of her death. As a convicted sex offender, John Gardner is required to register his residence, but he never registered at the Rancho Bernardo home.

A picture of John Gardner inside his mom's Rancho Bernardo home, where he was living at times, despite never registering here as a sex offender. Authorities didn't know about Gardner's secret residence, but his mother did. So can police go after her?

"It's stretching the argument under criminal law that would be harboring a fugitive cause he's not really a fugitive," News 8 legal analyst Kerry Steigerwalt said.

Stiegerwalt says the only way Gardner's mom could be held criminally responsible for his actions is if police could prove she knew what he was doing.

"Somebody has to be able to establish knowledge on her part for her to have any exposure," he said.

If John Gardner was under 18, things would certainly be different for his mom, who lives in the home with Gardner's stepfather. Under something called vicarious liability they could be held responsible for their kid's actions, even if they weren't there when the crime was committed.

But Gardner is 30, so while his parents may have an ethical and moral duty to protect society from John Gardner, their liability ends there.

"At some point in time, your responsibility as a parent ends and that point in time is when the child turns 18," Steigerwalt said.

That extends to civil cases too. So Chelsea King's parents won't have much luck if they go after Gardner's parents for money.

Truth be told, they won't have much luck if they go after John Gardner either, even if he is convicted of Chelsea's murder.

"You're limited to what he had, even if he had insurance, no insurance coverage policy would cover that because it's an intentional act," Steigerwalt said.

The Kings haven't said if they plan to sue Gardner, but no amount of money can buy them what they really want - the safe return of their precious daughter.

Gardner has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Aug. 4.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Hospital staff object to working with mother of sex offender and alleged murderer John Gardner

Post by Nama on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:45 pm

If you're the mother of a convicted sex offender and alleged murderer, should you then expect to have your co-workers take issue with you?
According to a report from 10News ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] co-workers at Scripps Mercy Hospital are outraged at the return to work of registered nurse Cathy Osborn. Osborn, supervisor in the behavioral health unit, is the mother of John Albert Gardner III, the convicted sex offender and accused rapist and murderer of Chelsea King.

10News reported that staff members at Scripps Mercy Hospital are upset about the fact that Osborn allowed her son to live with her in her Rancho Bernardo home after his release from prison for raping a teenaged neighbor. Authorities allege that Gardner rape and murdered King last month while she was jogging after school. Her body was later discovered in the Lake Hodges area.

In an email to 10News, one co-worker stated:

“Cannot tell you who I am for fear of being harassed, but his mother Cathy Osborn is going back to work at Scripps Mercy Hospital in behavioral health. She let her son live with her and had a key to her house and now is in a position of authority on a psychiatric unit where other sex offenders or psychiatric patients are placed based on her position … She knew he was a danger and never reported him. Her judgment could let other people out of a psychiatric facility that should not be. Staff do not respect her anymore and have to listen to her because she is in a position of authority. This is not right … Staff do not want to work with her and she is coming back to work.”

10News also reported on some rather bizarre and risque photos of Osborn that have come to light.
The pictures are of Osborn and a group calling themselves the Hash House Harriers running the hills around Lake Hodges and other trails.
This was information and images that have been circulating on Scared Monkeys.net for some time in an attempt to draw comparisons, similarities and connections between the murders of King and Amber Dubois. Gardner is a person of interest in the murder of Dubois, whose remains were found last week on grounds of the Pala Indian Reservation.

Many people will ask just how does a behavioral nurse whose job it is to deal with disturbed people not have seen the signs with her son? Another question is why is she posing for some rather risky pictures given the sexual messages they are sending, especially regarding how women may be viewed?
Cathy Osborn certainly does have a right to work, but more importantly, the parents of Chelsea King and Amber Dubois deserve far more for the grief they are dealing with.
Answers to if John Gardner murdered both their daughters would be a good start.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Doctor: Gardner's Childhood Could Explain Adult Behavior

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 am

A local psychologist told 10News John Gardner's childhood could explain his behavior as an adult.
10News spoke with psychologist David Gruder, who said, "Children learn from modeling. All of us learn from what's modeled to us. Not from what we're told."
10News learned Gardner's mother, Cathy Osborn, is a member of the Hash House Harriers, an adult running club. Pictures obtained by 10News showed club members, including Osborn, partying half-naked or completely naked after a run.

Gruder said any child exposed to such behavior would be impacted.
"If this is part of the environment that a child grows up in, then that child starts to believe as a child that this is part of what's normal and that it's OK for them to follow in those footsteps," said Gruder.
There is no proof that Gardner ever saw his mother with the club or knew about it.
Meanwhile, a childhood friend of Gardner's told a Lake Arrowhead (Riverside County) newspaper that as a teen Gardner admitted to having bipolar disorder. He also said he had been sexually abused by a male member of his family.
Gruder said that shouldn't be a surprise because many sexual predators were victims themselves, and those victims react differently as adults.
"They'll either go to one extreme where they become very, very asexual or anti-sexual, or extreme in terms of their hatred of sexuality or they will go to the other extreme or become very indulgent in their sexuality. But that indulgence can take many forms," said Gruder.
Gruder said none of what happened in John Gardner's childhood is his fault.
"The responsibility for doing the damage is of course on the shoulders of those who did not parent this boy properly," Gruder said.
However, according to Gruder, Gardner's actions as a 20-year-old, when he was convicted for committing a lewd act on a 13-year-old girl, cannot be blamed on anyone else.
"The responsibility of adult actions is squarely on our shoulders as adults and not with our parents anymore," Gruder explained. "That's part of what being a mature adult requires of us."
Gruder said the only time someone else could be held responsible is when the suspect is a ward of the state and considered insane, and Gardner was neither.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal The Face of Evil

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:06 am

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:21 am

Hash House Harriers
Drinkers with a Running problem.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Gardner's family took part in run on day of attack

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:32 am

Hours after registered sex offender John Albert Gardner III allegedly attacked a lone jogger at Rancho Bernardo Community Park, his mother and stepfather went for a run on the same trails as part of their jogging group.

Mother Cathy Osborn and stepfather Kevin O’Reilly, members of a local running and drinking group called Hash House Harriers, went to the park for a 2 p.m. group run on Dec. 27 — hours after the 10:30 a.m. attack on a 22-year-old college student, according to online group photos and a group newsletter.

There is no indication that Gardner was at the afternoon event or involved in the club.

Gardner, 30, has been charged with assault with the intent to rape in the jogger attack, and is charged with rape and murder in the death of Chelsea King, 17, of Poway, who was running in the same park two months later.

A run club member identified as “DrZaius” — whose contact information on the group Web site matches O’Reilly’s — did a write up on the event for the newsletter. It mentions the morning attack.

“Disturbing news at the start.” he wrote. “(Two members) who live next to the park, came out to give us word that a girl had been attacked that morning in the trails where we would be running.”

O’Reilly and Osborn live a mile from the park and have not returned calls and e-mails seeking comment.

Their presence at the park that day was reported last night by KGTV Channel 10, a news partner of The San Diego Union-Tribune, and was discussed in several online forums.

Hash House Harrier members who know the couple declined to comment yesterday.

In San Diego, the club’s chapters are perhaps best known as hosting the annual Red Dress Run, when male and female members don red dresses. Many in the group use sexually explicit monikers and often drink after running.

San Diego police classified the Dec. 27 assault at the time as an attempted robbery because the assailant demanded money from the jogger after tackling her. The victim, who goes to college in Colorado Springs, was able to elbow him in the face and escape, the victim’s mother has said.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:36 am

John Gardner's mother sounds rather strange... at least the running group she is involved with sure sounds odd! Running half-naked & in red dresses?!? Not exactly mature adult behaviour! I wonder if Gardner was a part of this running group too? It looks like him in the picture "mooning" the woman behind him! Being around a group of people like this, may have been what gave him the idea to attack young women while they were jogging. Who knows?

I also wanted to add that I really dislike his smile in his mug shot... shows a complete lack of remorse!!

Back to top Go down

Normal Accused killer collected string of citations in various vehicles

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:41 pm

The murder of Poway High School senior Chelsea King, allegedly at the hands of a known sexual predator, has sparked outrage in the community.

News 8 is continuing to investigate John Gardner's past run-ins with the law and the vehicles he was driving since his release from prison.

We are learning more about missed opportunities the case of accused killer John Gardner. A News 8 review of court records shows Gardner was cited for marijuana possession while still on parole.

A string of other citations did not seem to raise any red flags with law enforcement.

News 8 searched records in four different courthouses to compile eight citations filed against Gardner in a little over three years. Four of those citations were filed while Gardner was still on parole, including one for possession of marijuana.

News 8's review of the records shows a total of two citations for marijuana possession, one for driving with an open alcohol container, and several other traffic violations.

The records also show Gardner failed to appear in court, didn't pay court fines, and had his driver's license suspended for two months at the end of 2009.

Despite that history, when Riverside Sheriff's deputies pulled Gardner over at DUI checkpoint in Lake Elsinore in January 2010, they let him go with a traffic ticket for expired registration and no insurance.

Speaking in general terms, Riverside Sheriff's spokesperson Sgt. Joe Borja told News 8 that's not unusual. "You normally would not book (a driver) for that type of traffic violation," Borja said.

At the time of the stop in Riverside, Gardner had already missed court appearances on three different citations.

Even so, DMV records show Gardner's suspension on his driver's license had been lifted by the time he was pulled over in January 2010 and jail space in Riverside County is at a premium these days, according to Sgt. Borja.

"It's a matter of housing and what's available for housing. They're not going to be housed in the county jails on misdemeanor traffic citations," said Borja.

The list of vehicles Garder drove is almost as long as his list of citations. News 8's investigation reveals at least five different vehicles Gardner was driving over the past three years.

Gardner owned a white, 2004 Chevy Silverado pickup truck between 2006 and early 2009. He collected three traffic tickets in that pickup: for speeding, running a red light, and possession of marijuana, records show.

In 2008, Gardner was cited again for possessing marijuana in a silver 2005 Hyundai Elantra registered to his step-father, Kevin O'Reilly, according to the records.

In 2009, Gardner was pulled over driving a 2005 gray Ford Focus registered to his girlfriend. He was not carrying a driver's license and had an open container of alcohol.

In June 2009, Gardner paid cash for a 1999 gold Pontiac Grand Prix. He totaled it in a parking lot, according to one family member, but not before receiving a speeding ticket for driving in excess of 70 miles per hour near Bonsal.

Which brings us to back to January of this year, when Gardner was driving his girlfriend's black 2002 Nissan Sentra and Riverside sheriffs wrote him up at that DUI checkpoint for having no proof of registration or insurance.

That was one month before Poway high school senior Chelsea King went missing and Gardner was eventually arrested for her rape and murder.

News 8 wanted to speak with the sheriff's departments in both San Diego and Riverside counties about the past citations against Gardner, but officials are unable to comment because of a gag order issued in Gardner's case.

Gardner has been charged with the rape and murder of Chelsea King, and is also being investigated in the murder of 14-year-old Amber Dubois.

Gardner's preliminary hearing – which will determine if there's enough evidence to send the case to trial – is set for August 4th.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Details released on two other Gardner traffic violations POT POSSESSION WHILE ON PAROLE DETAILED

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Three months before John Albert Gardner III's parole ended in September 2008, he pleaded guilty to a marijuana possession charge stemming from an Escondido traffic stop.
A parole review was triggered, but it did not land Gardner, a registered sex offender, back in prison, as some drug crimes can.
Gardner was cited for having less than an ounce of pot. State prison officials have said Gardner's violations were minor compared to other parolee offenses.
Reincarcerating parolees for possessing a small amount of pot and similar crimes would overwhelm the system, they have said.
Gardner paid $550 in fines to resolve the misdemeanor pot possession.
San Diego Superior Court released details Monday about the Escondido traffic stop from June 25, 2008, and a speeding ticket Gardner received in 2007.
Gardner, who spent six years in prison for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl in Rancho Bernardo in 2000, is charged with the rape and murder of Poway teen Chelsea King.
He is a suspect in the death of Amber Dubois, an Escondido teen.
The remains of both North County girls were found early this month in separate graves.
Over the past three years, Gardner was stopped at least seven times in San Diego and Riverside counties for traffic violations.
He drove at least four separate cars, including one matching a vehicle involved in a 2009 Lake Elsinore attempted child abduction, according to officials and court records.
Below is a list of Gardner's known traffic violations, including details of the violations that were released Monday:
-- Jan. 30, 2010: cited for expired registration and no proof of insurance in Lake Elsinore during a DUI checkpoint. He was driving a black 2002 Nissan Sentra at Corydon and Cereal streets.
-- June 11, 2009: cited for driving without insurance north of Escondido on Interstate 15 near West Lilac Road. Gardner was driving a gold 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix north of Escondido. That car matches the description of a vehicle used in an attempted child abduction reported Oct. 28, 2009, in Lake Elsinore. A car of similar make and model was seized Thursday from an Escondido junk yard and taken to a city holding facility.
-- April 2, 2009: cited for having an open container of alcohol, driving without a license and without a front license plate in Escondido on El Norte Parkway at North Iris Lane. Gardner was driving a gray, four-door Ford Focus at the time. The year of the car was not noted on the citation.
-- Nov. 19, 2008: cited for misdemeanor marijuana possession while driving in Oceanside near Buccaneer Park. Gardner was driving a white 2004 Chevrolet Silverado truck at the time.
-- June 25, 2008: cited for misdemeanor marijuana possession while driving on North Rock Springs Road in Escondido. Gardner was driving a 2005 Hyundai Elantra, registered to his stepfather, Kevin O'Reilly.
-- Jan. 11, 2007: cited for speeding in excess of 70 mph on northbound Interstate 15 north of Old Highway 395. Gardner was driving a white 2004 Chevrolet pickup.
Gardner faced hundreds of dollars in fines in each case. Three of his cases have been forwarded to collections because the fines were unpaid, a court spokeswoman said.
She did not specify which cases were outstanding.
Gardner is listed as an Escondido resident, living at a Rock Springs East apartment complex, on the citations from November 2008 and June and April 2009.
The complex is less than two miles from Escondido High School. Amber Dubois vanished Feb. 13, 2009, while walking to the school. She was 14 and a freshman.
Gardner's residence on the June 25, 2008, citation is listed as 17559 Matinal Road in Rancho Bernardo. That was his parents' address until they recently moved.
His address on the Jan. 11, 2007, citation was 10460 Maya Linda Road, San Diego, across from Miramar College.
After a parole review in September 2007, Gardner was ordered to move from that address because living there violated Jessica's Law, which requires sex offenders to live at least 2,000 feet from schools and parks.
Police and prosecutors have refused to comment about anything related to Gardner over the past week, citing a recent court-issued gag order.
Gardner remains in custody without bail.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Woman says accused killer John Gardner tried to rape her in December

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:32 am

On Tuesday, the woman who claims to have been attacked by John Gardner just months prior to the murder of San Diego area teen, Chelsea King, spoke with CNN's Larry King.

Candice Moncayo said she was jogging in Rancho Bernardo Community Park in December, when Gardner assaulted her.

“He threw me down onto the ground and pinned me to the ground. I was screaming, and he said ‘Shut up’ and I said no. He told me to shut up again and I said no. And I said you have to kill me first because I though he was trying to rape me. He said, ‘That could be arranged,’” Moncayo said on ‘Larry King Live.’

Moncayo claims she escaped Gardner’s grasp by elbowing him in the face. She recognized Gardner as the man who attacked her after he was arrested for Chelsea’s murder.

Chelsea King’s parents were also on the show and reacted to Moncayo’s account of her ordeal with Gardner. Chelsea’s mother, Kelly King said “to hear what a victim has to go through when attacked like this. It’s extremely difficult… it’s multiplied 1,000 times when it’s your own daughter that’s been through this as well.”

Chelsea disappeared on Feb. 25 after leaving for a jog near Lake Hodges. Her lifeless body was found only days later in a shallow grave near the lake. Gardner, a convicted sex offender, has been charged with the 17-year-old’s rape and murder, but has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

He is also being investigated in the death of 14-year-old Amber Dubois, who went missing in Feb. 2009 and whose remains were discovered just days after Chelsea was found.

Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher also spoke on the CNN show saying he believes “everything possible” must be done to change laws pertaining to sex offenders.
The King family have created the Chelsea's Light Foundation, which will work in concert with the assemblyman to bring such changes to fruition across the nation.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal 10News Obtains John Gardner's Prison System File

Post by Nama on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:27 pm

A nearly 300-page stack of prison documents released to 10News Wednesday gave a rare look at accused killer John Gardner's life inside the California prison system.
Gardner's file -- also known as a "central file" -- reveals more problems supervising Gardner while he was on parole.
As previously reported by 10News, Gardner lived in a Mira Mesa apartment complex in September 2007 that was around the corner from a daycare center at Miramar College. The file indicated parole agents realized this violation but may have dropped the ball in getting Gardner to move out.

One statement in the file read: "A review of the record of supervision and conversations with previous agents indicates Gardner was never given notice to relocate at the end of his lease."
The documents also revealed following Gardner's 2000 conviction for molesting and beating a teenage girl from Rancho Bernardo, he was transferred to Donovan State Prison. There, he was immediately placed into the administrative segregation unit, also known as "the sensitive needs yard."
In Gardner's initial interview, it was determined that he presented an immediate threat to the safety of himself or others and was also considered a threat to the security of the institution.
Three months later, he was transferred to the California Correctional Institution in Tehachapi, where the documents stated: "The inmate was interviewed to ascertain whether or not he has enemies here at CCI that would preclude his placement in general population."
At CCI, Gardner completed an education program and also had several prison jobs.
According to the file, he earned a glowing report that stated he was an "excellent teacher's assistant, enjoys what he is doing and motivates the students … and runs the classroom math program and has generated great enthusiasm."
The documents also stated how Gardner was written up several times for smoking a cigarette in prison and possession of a butane lighter.
In 2003, Gardner wrote a handwritten appeal in response to one of the smoking offenses. He complained to a hearing staff member, claiming he was found guilty without being allowed to bring forth witnesses and that they believed officers over him. He finished his handwritten appeal by stating: "I feel my right to properly state my case was violated."
According to the file, in 2004 Gardner complained of being threatened by other inmates and was transferred to Avenal State Prison.
In July 2005, Gardner was involved in what the prison referred to as "mutual combat" at Avenal, which led to the loss of family visits and visits with minors.
The file said: "The above inmate has been restricted from visiting with minor children."

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:27 am

In July 2005, Gardner was involved in what the prison referred to as "mutual combat" at Avenal, which led to the loss of family visits and visits with minors.
The file said: "The above inmate has been restricted from visiting with minor children."

What are you thinking after reading this BJ? Same as me?
Was Gardner trying to molest the minor child of another inmate and a fight ensued?
Or was Gardner attempting to molest the child of someone visiting him and the other inmate stepped in?

EITHER WAY... the guy can't stop his twisted ways, even when in prison surrounded by people happy to do him bodily harm.
The prison system patted him on the back and said "Yeah... we'll see ya again soon Johny." then turned him out into society yet again.

Because of the way these people are punished Judicially they just keep turning back up on the streets free to prey on our loved ones and friends anytime they desire to do so. It is up to us to change the laws that allow this to continue happening. We don't have to put up with our prison systems sweeping the trash back into our streets time and time again when they clean house!

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal File of John Albert Gardner III/ 282 pages PDF File

Post by Nama on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44 am

It sounds like it was something like either those choices. I found the file.....all 282 pages of it! affraid I'm not going to have time to read it for awhile.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:43 pm

P-I-G-pig.

Yes, he comes from an affluent family. Rancho Bernardo is a very toney community.
How his mother can go on working in a behavioral science program at Scripps after not noticing anything wrong with her son is beyond me. Although, he probably laid low and being a drinker/runner, she had no interest or chased those blues away.
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:10 pm

charminglane said: P-I-G-pig.

Yes, he comes from an affluent family. Rancho Bernardo is a very toney community.
How his mother can go on working in a behavioral science program at Scripps after not noticing anything wrong with her son is beyond me. Although, he probably laid low and being a drinker/runner, she had no interest or chased those blues away.[/quot

Exactly!!!!
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Normal MySpace removes link to Gardner's page

Post by Nama on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:20 pm

The social networking site MySpace said Thursday that it removed the profile of a registered sex offender who is charged with murdering a 17-year-old girl.
The company said it worked with the FBI and the San Diego County Sheriff's Department to confirm the profile belonged to John Albert Gardner III, who used a false name, birthday and hometown to register for the account. It removed the profile Wednesday night.
A copy of the profile obtained by The Associated Press uses the names Jason Stud and Energizer Bunny. It uses sexually explicit language to describe his interests, names Playboy Mansion as his hometown and lists "CSI" and "Bones" among his favorite television shows.
Gardner, 30, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Chelsea King, whose body was found five days after she vanished Feb. 25 on a run in a San Diego park. He is a suspect, but has not been charged, in the death of 14-year-old Amber Dubois, whose remains were found March 6 in a remote area north of San Diego, more than a year after she disappeared walking to school.
MySpace said the account was set up on Dec. 22, 2007, more than nine months before Gardner ended parole on a conviction in 2000 for molesting a 13-year-old neighbor. The account would violate terms of his parole, which prohibited him from using a computer to connect to the Internet or communicate with others.
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation has not independently confirmed that the MySpace profile was created or used by Gardner, or that he used the site while on parole, said spokesman Oscar Hidalgo. He said the California Sex Offender Management Board, a panel made up law enforcement, victims and treatment experts, would investigate.
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has asked the board to investigate how the corrections department handled the case.
My Space said it was alerted to the account by law enforcement officials.
"MySpace has a zero tolerance policy against registered sex offenders and uses cutting edge technology to identify and delete such profiles from our site," said Hemanshu Nigam, chief security officer of MySpace and parent company News Corp. "For the past several years, MySpace has advocated and testified in favor of federal and state legislation that would empower Web sites to block sex offenders who utilize false identities, like John Gardner, from their communities."
The San Diego Union-Tribune first reported on Gardner's MySpace profile late Wednesday. It said the link was discovered by Robert Scott, a Los Angeles private investigator who operates an online data retrieval service called Skip Smasher.
Scott said he plugged Gardner's name into his search engines to get an e-mail account registered to the suspect.
"It was remarkably simple," he said Thursday.
Gardner's attorney, public defender Michael Popkins, declined to comment Thursday night. A judge has issued a gag order to bar attorneys from discussing the case publicly.
Gardner served five years of a six-year sentence for child molestation and was on parole for three years until September 2008.
MySpace said Gardner was an infrequent user who had two friends. A posting on the profile in May 2008 read: "I'm poor, homeless and living in my truck."
Another posting said "love is just one big ugly compromise of two people pretending not to know what the other is doing."
The profile's last login was on Feb. 24, the day before Chelsea went missing.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal More Gardner parole issues found Sex offender lived near school longer than previously known

Post by Nama on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Convicted sex offender John Albert Gardner III lived for just under two years in a Mira Mesa apartment complex, 700 yards from Walker Elementary School.

That’s seven months longer than previously known — a timeline now acknowledged by state parole officials, though not apparent from incomplete records previously released. Gardner’s special conditions of parole barred him from living within 880 yards of such a school.

A review by The San Diego Union-Tribune shows the violation was apparently unrecognized for seven months, excused for three more, then ignored or forgotten for 13 more — until a new parole agent took over Gardner’s supervision.

Gardner served five years in prison for beating and molesting a 13-year-old Rancho Bernardo girl in 2000, and was on parole from September 2005 to September 2008. The handling of his parole has drawn criticism since he was accused last month of raping and killing Chelsea King, 17, of Poway.

While on parole, records show, Gardner committed seven violations that could have been used to send him back to prison and subjected him to tougher post-release monitoring under Jessica’s Law, which passed in 2006. The most serious was the residency issue.

Parole official Margarita Perez was asked about it at a legislative hearing in Poway last week.

“It’s important to understand he was approximately 2,100 feet away,” Perez said. “It’s not like he was across the street.”

Still, the distance was too close for Martha Mattson, a parent who says so many children cluster on city streets near Miramar College, Wangenheim Middle School and Walker Elementary that it’s a predator’s paradise.

“That they allowed him to be there is just unbelievable,” said Mattson, whose sons, now grown, went to the area’s public schools. “It seems unconscionable that he was there, steps away from vulnerable girls.”

Gardner, 30, who has pleaded not guilty in the Chelsea case, is also a focus of an investigation into the slaying of Amber Dubois, 14, of Escondido.

He was released from prison Sept. 26, 2005, and lived first at the scene of his 2000 assault, his mother’s townhouse in Rancho Bernardo. It was 437 feet from Westwood Elementary School, a parole violation that his agent did not let stand.

After 11 days, he moved into the Mira Monte apartments on Maya Linda Road. It’s unclear whether he moved with approval — and housing assistance — from parole officials. A public records request with the agency is pending.

Parole records released so far show a district administrator gave him approval in May 2006 to remain in his apartment for three more months until his lease expired, but he stayed 16 more.

Riverside County parole agent Tifani LaDuke said it was not uncommon at the time for an administrator to use discretion because state law on sex offender residency was undergoing a series of changes.

Ryken Grattet, a sociology professor at University of California Davis who has studied state parole violations, said sex offender residency issues aren’t as simple as the public might expect.

He said parole agents must balance the “blunt instruments” of distance requirements against housing stability or staying close to family or work.

“The trade-off is sometimes between keeping a person where they are even though they’re in violation or having them be homeless, which I think is even scarier,” Grattet said.

In 2007, the year after Jessica’s Law barred sex offenders from living within 2,000 feet of any school or park, 88 sex offenders were registered as homeless. In less than two years, that figure shot past 2,000.

At Miramar College, campus police Detective Cornelius Ashton said knowing where sex offenders live can be of limited use because they move around as much as anyone else.

“Anyone could be a victim of crime at any time,” he said.

To help guard against this, Ashton tracks the 46 sex offenders taking classes at Miramar College and other San Diego Community College District locations and also tries to keep track of sex offenders living near district sites.

One lives in the same complex that Gardner called home in Mira Mesa, according to California’s sex offender registry.

Gardner was still living there in August 2007, when his parole agent noted on a report that he was clear of parole violations and had “maintained a stable residence.”

Six days later, he got a new agent who flagged the residency issue. Gardner was forced to move the next month because he was living 125 yards from Miramar College’s preschool and 356 yards from Scripps Ranch High School. His proximity to the elementary school and an adjacent middle school was not mentioned on the charge report.

Officials with the state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation at last week’s legislative hearing said they cannot answer why Gardner was allowed to stay in Mira Mesa or how many parole agents he had because they destroyed some of his records — a practice Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has ordered halted.

The officials repeatedly called Gardner’s residency a parole offense only — not a more serious violation of state residency laws for sex offenders, as the agent had alleged.

Scott Kernan, the corrections department’s undersecretary of operations, said the second agent erred at the time. Perez, deputy director of the state’s Division of Adult Parole Operations, said the relevant law — Penal Code section 3003(g) — applied only to high-risk sex offenders, not those deemed low risks like Gardner.

Kernan said heavy caseloads and the complexities of changing laws make the jobs of parole agents difficult. He emphasized that parole conditions are assigned at the department’s discretion, and that any violation would be weighed against the conditions that are being followed.

“I don’t know how instructive it is for us to try to explain or justify why they misapplied these laws,” Kernan said.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Pick Axes, Shovels Seized From John Gardner's Home

Post by Nama on Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Authorities recovered digging tools and clothing from the home of registered sex offender, John Gardner, who is charged with murdering 17-year-old San Diego girl, Chelsea King.

That's according to search warrant records obtained by KFI radio.

Authorities searched Gardner’s Lake Elsinore home on Gillette Street on March 9 and seized two pick axes, 10 shovels from a backyard shed, as well as an additional shovel and pick ax near the front door, according to the return affidavit.

Also seized was five pairs of jeans, a white “Hard Iraq Cafe - Baghdad” T-shirt and a pair of Reebok size 12 sneakers from his bedroom.

The documents have been sealed by a judge.

Gardner has pleaded not guilty to murdering Chelsea King, whose body was found in a shallow grave five days after she vanished in February on a run in a San Diego park.

He is also a suspect, but has not been charged, in the death of 14-year-old Amber Dubois.

Her remains were found March 6 in a remote area north of San Diego, more than a year after she disappeared.

A decade-old probation report paints a disturbing picture of Gardner who was convicted 10 years ago of molesting a neighbor girl.

The report contained a psychiatrist's conclusion that the defendant had "significant predatory traits" toward underage girls and should be kept in prison for as long as possible.

"The defendant does not suffer from a psychotic disorder," a probation officer quoted Dr. Matthew F. Carroll as saying for the report.

"He is simply a bad guy who is inordinately interested in young girls."

Carroll further said John Albert Gardner III's "prediliction toward younger girls is a problem. He manifests significant predatory traits and is a danger to the community," the officer wrote.

The report was prepared in 2000 for the sentencing of the then-21-year-old Gardner after he pleaded guilty to committing lewd and lascivious acts on a 13-year-old neighbor girl.

The victim was also punched repeatedly before escaping.

At that time, the probation officer recommended a so-called middle term of six years, reasoning in part that Gardner had no prior criminal record.

Gardner pleaded guilty in May 2000 to two counts of forcible lewd act on a child and false imprisonment.

A judge ordered the six-year term and Gardner served five before being paroled.

Gardner remained on parole until September 2008, and after that was required to register as a sex offender.

According to Superior Court documents Gardner picked up his 13-year-old victim as she waited at a school bus stop on March 16, 2000.

The victim willingly went with Gardner to his mother's Rancho Bernardo home to watch a movie.

According to court documents, Gardner began touching the victim inappropriately and rubbing himself against her.

When she objected, he allegedly hit the girl in the head repeatedly before she managed to escape to a neighbor's house.

The same court records indicate that Gardner may have had another run-in with authorities the year before.

In the fall of 1999, when only 19, Gardner also fondled a 14-year-old girl.

The documents indicate that incident was consensual.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Gardner to be in court Friday

Post by Nama on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Accused murderer John Albert Gardner III will be in court Friday afternoon, but officials are mum about why hearing has been scheduled.
Gardner has a status conference set for 2 p.m., according the Web site of the San Diego Superior Court, and will be in the same downtown courtroom where he was arraigned March 3 in the slaying of Poway teenager Chelsea King.
The San Diego County Sheriff's Web site on Thurdsay afternoon also listed Gardner as scheduled to be in the courtroom Friday afternoon.
The hearing set for Friday comes as a surprise. Gardner, who is in jail, was not due back in court until Aug. 4, for a preliminary hearing, a key pretrial proceeding.
Details about the case against Gardner have remained closely held by officials. Superior Court Judge David Danielsen issued a gag order in March barring prosecutors, defense attorneys and their agents and representatives from discussing the case.
Gardner was arrested Feb. 28 in connection with the killing and possible rape of Chelsea King, 17, who disappeared Feb. 25 while running near Lake Hodges.
Her body was found in a shallow grave near a lake tributary March 2.
Gardner, 31, also is charged with attacking a female jogger at the same park in December, and is a suspect in the February 2009 disappearance and death of Amber Dubois, a 14-year-old Escondido girl whose remains were found in Pala on March 6.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:28 pm

OMG, Gardner just plead guilty to everything and is being sentenced to life! It's running live on TV in CA!
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Gardner pleads GUILTY!

Post by Nama on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Gardner Pleads Guilty To Murdering 2 S.D. Teens

John Gardner of Lake Elsinore was in court Wednesday afternoon.
CBS
Sex offender John Albert Gardner has pleaded guilty to killing two San Diego County teenage girls.

Gardner agreed Friday to plead to the deaths of 14-year-old Amber Dubois and 17-year-old Chelsea King. In exchange, prosecutors will not seek the death penalty.

Amber vanished in February 2009 and the investigation produced few solid leads until Chelsea disappeared Feb. 25 near where Amber went missing. Gardner was arrested three days later and has pleaded not guilty to murdering Chelsea.

Chelsea's body was discovered March 2 in a shallow lakeside grave after a massive search. Prosecutors say Gardner was linked to the crime by DNA found on Chelsea's clothing.

Last edited by BJ in OR on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:38 pm

FYI -It is streaming live on KCAL.com right now.
I didn't know where to post this to get everyones attention, sorry!
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:39 pm

New thread in the LOUNGE.

Thank you raine1953!

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal John Gardner pleads guilty in the deaths of Amber Dubois and Chelsea King/ Gag order lifted, but no one is talking/ Gardner sentenced to LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE

Post by Nama on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Gardner Pleads Guilty To Murdering 2 S.D. Teens

John Gardner of Lake Elsinore was in court Wednesday afternoon.
CBS
Sex offender John Albert Gardner has pleaded guilty to killing two San Diego County teenage girls.

Gardner agreed Friday to plead to the deaths of 14-year-old Amber Dubois and 17-year-old Chelsea King. In exchange, prosecutors will not seek the death penalty.

Amber vanished in February 2009 and the investigation produced few solid leads until Chelsea disappeared Feb. 25 near where Amber went missing. Gardner was arrested three days later and has pleaded not guilty to murdering Chelsea.

Chelsea's body was discovered March 2 in a shallow lakeside grave after a massive search. Prosecutors say Gardner was linked to the crime by DNA found on Chelsea's clothing.

Last edited by BJ in OR on Sat May 15, 2010 2:47 am; edited 3 times in total

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:47 pm

OMG, he also plead guilty to killing Amber DuBois? That is mind boggling but I am so happy he didn't put the Dubois and King family through anymore than they have already been through.

I imagine he plead guilty so he wouldn't get the DP.

Thank God there is some Justice at last this week!!!

Thanks for reporting this, BJ!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal 10News Live Stream 1

Post by Nama on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:48 pm

Friday to the murders of Chelsea King and Amber Dubois, ending weeks of speculation as to whether he would be charged in the deaths of both teenage girls.

As a result, Gardner, a 31-year-old convicted sex offender, will avoid facing the death penalty, and instead be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

San Diego Superior Court Judge David Danielsen accepted the plea Friday afternoon.

The high-profile Gardner case has drawn intense media coverage and captured the public’s attention since his Feb. 28 arrest in the disappearance of 17-year-old Chelsea King of Poway.

Thousands of volunteers and law enforcement officials searched for the girl over five days before her body was discovered in a shallow grave near Lake Hodges on March 2.

Gardner was arraigned the next day on charges he raped and murdered Chelsea. He was linked to the crime through DNA evidence found on a piece of Chelsea’s clothing.

On March 6, authorities announced they had found the skeletal remains of 14-year-old Amber Dubois of Escondido, who had been missing for 13 months.

Escondido police said Gardner was a focus in the investigation into Amber’s death, but would not discuss any further details. Amber disappeared Feb. 13, 2009 while she was walking to Escondido High School.

Citing a gag order, lawyers in the case refused to answer any questions about Gardner, including whether he had led authorities to Amber’s body.

Gardner was also charged with assault in connection with a Dec. 27 attack on a jogger near Lake Hodges.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:50 pm

In a stunning development, convicted sex offender John Albert Gardner III pleaded guilty Friday to killing and raping 17-year-old Chelsea King of Poway and 14-year-old Amber Dubois of Escondido.
As the parents of the two girl looked on in a packed courtroom, San Diego Superior Court Judge David Danielsen accepted Gardner's plea and said he would be sentenced to life in prison without parole.
When asked if understood what he was doing, Gardner said, "Yes, I do."
Shackled and standing before the judge in a blue jail suit, a somber-looking Gardner repeatedly gave the same answer when asked if he fully understood the charges he was pleading guilty to and the sentence he faces.
"Guilty," Gardner said when asked how he pleaded to Chelsea's death. He also admitted he killed her in the course of a rape.
"Guilty," he repeated when asked if was responsible for the death and rape of Amber.
The 31-year-old Gardner was named the suspect in Amber's death shortly after he was arrested on Feb. 28 for the rape and killing of 17-year-old Chelsea.
Gardner has also pleaded guilty in the Dec. 27 assault with intent to commit rape of a 22-year-old jogger at the same park where Chelsea was killed.
The jogger, Candice Moncayo, has said the attacker threatened to kill her and that she believed he was attempting to rape her. Moncayo has appeared on national television and told her story.
Increased monitoring
Amber was 14 when she disappeared while on her way to class the morning of Feb. 13, 2009.
An animal lover and voracious reader, she was known for being shy.
On the day she went missing, she was supposed to buy a lamb that she would show at the Del Mar state fair through the Future Farmers of America's Club she had joined at the high school.
Four days after he was arraigned for the killing of Chelsea that could result in the death penalty if convicted, Escondido police announced Amber's skeletal remains had been found adjacent to a paved road off of Pala-Temecula Road near the Pala Casino northeast of Escondido.
The stories of Chelsea and Amber have prompted an examination of state sex offender laws and whether enough is being done to protect the public from sexually violent predators.
Each girls' parents say they want to toughen the laws so that the tragedies that have befallen them don't happen to other families.
On Monday, San Diego state Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher introduced a bill that would increase the monitoring of sex offenders who target children and strengthen the penalties for a first offense.
Earlier crime
Gardner was paroled from Avenal State Prison in the Central Valley in 2005 after serving a six-year sentence for molesting a 13-year-old girl who lived near his family's home in Rancho Bernardo.
In that case, prosecutors said Gardner, then 20, persuaded the eighth-grade girl to skip school and go to his home to watch a movie.
The girl, who was about 5 feet, 5 inches and weighed about 100 pounds, was repeatedly punched in the face and sexually assaulted, although not raped, before escaping.
Gardner "never expressed one scintilla of remorse for his attack upon the victim," prosecutors said.
He had faced a maximum of nearly 11 years in prison under terms of a plea agreement. He was sentenced to six years in prison. He served five years, and was on parole from 2005 to 2008.
San Diego psychiatrist Dr. Matthew Carroll evaluated Gardner and warned in a pre-sentence report that he was a "continued danger to underage girls in the community."
Carroll, urged the "maximum sentence allowed by law," writing that Gardner was "an extremely poor candidate" for treatment because he refused admit responsibility for his crime. He had blamed the girl's mother for her bruises and denied sexually assaulting her when interviewed by police.
'Unforgivable'
At his sentencing in that case, Superior Court Judge Peter Deddeh deflected Gardner's plea for probation.
"This is one of those situations where you have done something that's so bad that I can't just say, 'Well, you're a good guy, you get the benefit of the doubt,'" Deddeh said, later adding, "You're a big, strong guy and you're thumping on a little girl like that ---- that's just unforgivable to me."
Gardner said little at the sentencing, asking the judge for "forgiveness" but seemingly aware he was headed to prison.
"I know I need to be punished for what I have done, but I just want to get back to my life the way that it was," Gardner told the judge.
His mother told the court her son, who spent part of his childhood in the San Bernardino Mountains area of Running Spring,s had dreamed of one day becoming a mathematics teacher.
Gardner served a five-year sentence and was paroled on Sept. 26, 2005.
On Sept. 13, 2007, he was deemed in violation of his parole conditions because he was living near a day-care center. Twelve days later, he was placed on GPS monitoring.
Living near children wasn't his only violation. He committed at least six other parole violations, including possession of marijuana charges.
Despite those violations, parole agents never moved to send him back to prison.
While on parole, Gardner spent time at an Escondido sober living home.
He'd wake up early, drive to his job as a commercial electrician in Riverside County and return just before the home's 9 p.m. curfew, according to a roommate.
"Some days, when he'd come in, he was just the nicest guy you could ever meet," said Gardner's former roommate at the East Pennsylvania Avenue home. "Some days you could just see it in his eyes: You'd just see anger ... just mad at the world."
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation doesn't have the money to provide rehabilitation for sex offenders while they are in prison.
Gardner remains in the Central Jail in downtown San Diego where he is being held in a one-man room. Authorities said they placed him there for his own protection and so they could monitor his well-being.
Live reporting from the courtroom is available at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
More information will be available at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as this story develops.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal RIP Amber and Chelsea

Post by Nama on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:55 pm

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum