Serial Killer Elias Abuelazam Convicted, Life With NO Parole

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Serial Killer Elias Abuelazam Convicted, Life With NO Parole

Post by NiteSpinR on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:02 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
September 20, 2010

Suspected serial stabber Elias Abuelazam, jailed in Michigan, is expected to face new charges as early as Monday, a defense lawyer said.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Edwar Zeineh said his client will likely be charged with one count of premeditated murder and four counts of assault with intent to commit murder. Abuelazam had only been charged with a single count of assault with intent to commit murder.

Abuelazam is suspected of stabbing 18 victims in three states. Five people were killed in the attacks in May through August.

"What we make of it is that we have new charges to defend against," Zeineh said, indicating an arraignment is set for Monday.

Gennessee County Prosecutor David Leyton could not be reached for comment over the weekend.

Zeineh said he has been provided with very little pretrial evidence.

"I've not seen a murder weapon, not seen evidence of DNA [linking Abuelazam to the crimes], not seen any evidence of motive," Zeineh said.

"While I hold the police and prosecutor in high regard, I'm concerned I'm not getting all the evidence police have. It's slow coming. I would have expected more by now," he added.

Abuelazam is trying to help with his own defense.

"His spirits are high, he has confidence in his counsel, and the American judicial system," Zeineh added.

Abuelazam has been able to talk with his mother, who lives in Israel.

"After that conversation, he now has a sense of strength and courage," Zeineh said.

Abuelazam was arrested in Georgia on August 11 at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. He was trying to board a flight to Israel when he was taken into custody, police said.

Leyton has said previously he would seek the death penalty for Abuelazam if he is found guilty.

Authorities had Abuelazam in custody twice in a two-week stretch, both within hours of when stabbings were reported, but he was released. Police said he had not been linked to the attacks at the time.

Abuelazam was arrested August 5 after a traffic stop and July 29 for allegedly providing alcohol to a minor. He was fined $125 in July.

In the traffic stop arrest in Arlington, Virginia, police arrested Abuelazam after learning he had an outstanding warrant for assault. A knife and hammer were found in his car.

Authorities now believe both weapons were used in the string of stabbings. One of the attacks took place in Virginia hours after Abuelazam was released.

Most of the stabbing victims were African-American. Federal officials have not provided a motive for the attacks, but Leesburg, Virginia, Police Chief Joseph Price has said he believed the attacker was targeting African-Americans.

Abuelazam is believed responsible for three attacks in Leesburg, the stabbing deaths of five people and the wounding of nine others in Flint, Michigan, and a stabbing that wounded a man in Toledo, Ohio, authorities have said.

One of the stabbing victims, Richard Booker of Flint, Michigan, talked with CNN last month about being attacked.

Booker recalled he had gone for a walk to the store, and encountered a man who asked him to help him get his truck hood open. As he was doing so, the man grabbed him from behind, he said.

"He had a Bowie knife ... he tried to gut me or something," Booker said.

"He stuck me, fell on top of me," he said. He said the man wounded him on his arm and "tried to stab me in the face and throat. I punched him in the nose and he kind of got off me a little bit."

Booker managed to escape and make it home, where he passed out on his porch. He said he lost six pints of blood by the time he got to the porch.

The suspect, he said, is a "stone-cold maniac killer."



Last edited by NiteSpinR on Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
along comes a spider to sit down beside ya


Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
avatar
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Join date : 2009-05-30

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Serial Killer Elias Abuelazam Convicted, Life With NO Parole

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:33 am

Authorities had Abuelazam in custody twice in a two-week stretch, both within hours of when stabbings were reported, but he was released. Police said he had not been linked to the attacks at the time.

Abuelazam was arrested August 5 after a traffic stop and July 29 for allegedly providing alcohol to a minor. He was fined $125 in July.

In the traffic stop arrest in Arlington, Virginia, police arrested Abuelazam after learning he had an outstanding warrant for assault. A knife and hammer were found in his car.


Authorities now believe both weapons were used in the string of stabbings. One of the attacks took place in Virginia hours after Abuelazam was released.

WTF When is "the system" going to STOP releasing these maniacs from our prisons and jails? It makes me livid! IMO, "the system" is responsible for these crimes!!! angry

_________________
Prayers for our little HaLeigh Cummings, wherever she may be!!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
avatar
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Join date : 2009-05-28

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Serial Killer Elias Abuelazam Convicted, Life With NO Parole

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:37 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

_________________
Prayers for our little HaLeigh Cummings, wherever she may be!!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
avatar
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Join date : 2009-05-28

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Serial Killer Elias Abuelazam Convicted, Life With NO Parole

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:39 am

very interesting. Thank you, Nite, for bringing this to our attention. I had never heard of this maniacal serial killer until now.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

_________________
Prayers for our little HaLeigh Cummings, wherever she may be!!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
avatar
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Join date : 2009-05-28

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Serial Killer Elias Abuelazam Convicted, Life With NO Parole

Post by NiteSpinR on Thu May 16, 2013 9:31 pm

September 20, 2010

Suspected serial stabber Elias Abuelazam, jailed in Michigan, was arraigned Monday on five new charges, a defense lawyer said.
Brian Morley said his client was charged with one count of murder and four counts of assault with intent to commit murder, bringing the total number of charges against Abuelazam to six. Previously, he was charged with a single count of assault with intent to commit murder.

Abuelazam was arrested August 11 at Atlanta, Georgia's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. He was trying to board a flight to Israel when he was taken into custody, police said.

If convicted in Michigan, Abuelazam could face life in prison without parole. The state does not have the death penalty.

Authorities had Abuelazam in custody twice in a two-week stretch, both within hours of when stabbings were reported, but he was released. Police said he had not been linked to the attacks at the time.

Abuelazam was arrested August 5 after a traffic stop and July 29 for allegedly providing alcohol to a minor. He was fined $125 in July.

In the traffic stop arrest, in Arlington, Virginia, police arrested Abuelazam after learning he had an outstanding warrant for assault. A knife and hammer were found in his car.

Authorities now believe both weapons were used in the string of stabbings. One of the attacks took place in Virginia hours after Abuelazam was released.

Most of the stabbing victims were African-American. Federal officials have not provided a motive for the attacks, but Leesburg, Virginia, Police Chief Joseph Price has said he believed the attacker was targeting African-Americans.

Abuelazam is believed responsible for three attacks in Leesburg, the stabbing deaths of five people and the wounding of nine others in Flint and a stabbing that wounded a man in Toledo, Ohio, authorities have said.

One of Abuelazam's alleged victims, Richard Booker of Flint, Michigan, talked with CNN last month about being attacked.

Booker recalled he had gone for a walk to the store, and encountered a man who asked him to help him get his truck hood open. As he was doing so, the man grabbed him from behind, he said.

"He had a Bowie knife ... he tried to gut me or something," Booker said.

"He stuck me, fell on top of me," he said. He said the man wounded him on his arm and "tried to stab me in the face and throat. I punched him in the nose and he kind of got off me a little bit."

Booker managed to escape and make it home, where he passed out on his porch. He said he lost six pints of blood by the time he got to the porch.

His attacker, he said, is a "stone-cold maniac killer."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
January 3, 2011

The lawyer for an accused serial stabber said he filed motions on Monday for a change of venue and a private psychiatric evaluation meant to preserve his client's right to a possible insanity defense.

Elias Abuelazam has been charged with three counts of murder and six counts of assault with intent to commit murder, said Genesee County, Michigan, prosecutor David Leyton.

He is suspected of 18 stabbings -- five of them fatal -- in Michigan, Virginia and Ohio, Leyton said.

His attorney, Edward Zeineh, said he is uncertain whether he will use the insanity defense, adding that he was concerned over a local jury's capacity to provide a fair trial given the level of publicity surrounding the case.

Abuelazam has pleaded not guilty and is expected to undergo a separate court-ordered psychiatric evaluation, Zeineh said. Abuelazam remains jailed while he awaits trial.

Monday's hearing was one of several hearings since a September incident in which a fellow inmate tried to serve a poisoned apple to Abuelazam after the two had an altercation behind bars.

The incident reflected "a security concern for my client," Zeineh said. "The jail took steps to assure me it wouldn't happen again."

Abuelazam never took a bite, said Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell. But Andre Franklin, 34, now faces a charge of attempted poisoning.

The tainted apple, sprayed with oven degreaser with "poison components in it," never made it out of the kitchen, Pickell said.

"We found out immediately, " he said, but declined to say how guards learned what happened.

Pickell said Franklin apparently targeted Abuelazam after the two "had some words with each other."

Pickell said Franklin had nearly completed all of his time for a simple assault charge and was a trustee -- a nonviolent prisoner who qualified for jobs that could help reduce his sentence.

If convicted of attempted poisoning, Franklin could face up to 15 more years behind bars, Pickell said.

He is in jail in lieu of $5,000 bail.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6/25/12
Sentenced To Life For Murdering Arnold Minor In Michigan
With one life sentence already in the bag, a prosecutor said Monday he'll consider offering plea deals to close the eight remaining cases from a fatal 2010 stabbing spree in Michigan.

Elias Abuelazam received a mandatory no-parole punishment for killing a handyman in his first murder trial. The 35-year-old Israeli immigrant still faces two additional murder trials and six attempted murder trials in Flint, as well an attempted murder case in Toledo, Ohio.

Shackled at the belly, Abuelazam was in and out of court within minutes Monday.

The 68-year-old mother of victim Arnold Minor, holding her son's cremated remains, collapsed and had to be carried from the courtroom. Elzora Minor said her legs weakened when she looked over and saw a grin on Abuelazam's face.

She was standing at a courtroom lectern next to daughter Stephanie Ward, who had a biting farewell for Abuelazam.

"I'm just glad for this day and hope that he rots in hell for the pain he put this city through," Ward told Genesee County Judge Judith Fullerton.

The stabbing spree terrified the working-class city of Flint. Fourteen people were attacked in the area, and five died. Survivors said Abuelazam claimed to have car trouble or asked for directions before plunging a knife into them.

"This man terrorized our community. He murdered our citizens. He slashed our people. He stabbed and maimed our friends," county Prosecutor David Leyton said before the sentence was announced.

He said he hoped the punishment would satisfy all victims. Four men who survived were allowed to testify at trial.

Outside court, Leyton signaled for the first time that the first trial may be the last. He said he will talk to survivors and relatives of the deceased about offering plea deals to Abuelazam in eight cases.

"We've secured his conviction and a sentence of life without parole. ... I have to balance their feelings with my fiduciary duties to the county," Leyton told The Associated Press, referring to the cost of so many trials.

But it's hard to see any benefit for Abuelazam, especially when he's already going to prison for the rest of his life.

"It's way too early. There's a lot going through his head," defense attorney Ed Zeineh said of any deals. "I would like to discuss a potential resolution but it's not my decision."

Minor's blood was detected in Abuelazam's luggage, which was seized when he tried to flee the United States for Israel. Facing such overwhelming DNA evidence, defense lawyers tried to convince jurors that he was insane and under the control of demons during the stabbing spree. But three experts hired by prosecutors interviewed Abuelazam and found he wasn't mentally ill or incapable of understanding the criminal acts.

Abuelazam was given a chance to speak Monday but said nothing about Minor's death. Most victims were stabbed in the wee hours. There is no evidence that Abuelazam, who worked the afternoon shift at a party store, knew them.

Fullerton, unlike many judges in high-profile cases, didn't offer any tough words before the convicted killer was taken back to jail.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October 5, 2012
Elias Abuelazam, Mich. stabber sentenced to life, will likely not face additional trials

FLINT, Mich. - Suspected serial stabber Elias Abuelazam will face no additional trials in Michigan unless his first murder conviction is overturned, a prosecutor said Friday, citing the high cost of bringing each case to court.

Abuelazam is already serving a life sentence, and additional trials would cost "hundreds of thousands of dollars," Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said.

"We have him life without parole. You can't do any better than that," Leyton said outside court.

Abuelazam was convicted last spring of fatally stabbing a man after the Israeli native tricked the victim into believing he needed help with his car. Two more murder cases and six attempted murder cases were pending in Flint, 60 miles north of Detroit.

Those cases now are suspended. Leyton and assistant prosecutor Tamara Phillips will bring Abuelazam to trial again only if the Michigan appeals court or Supreme Court finds fault with the first murder conviction and upset that guilty verdict.

The agreement was signed by defense attorney Ed Zeineh and presented to a judge Friday. Abuelazam, who was transported from prison for the brief hearing, said he understood the deal.

"In the interests of justice, this is appropriate," Zeineh told the judge.

Abuelazam, 36, was linked to 14 stabbings in and around Flint in summer 2010, although he was not charged in every incident. Five people died.

He presented an insanity defense at his first trial, the death of Arnold Minor, but the jury rejected it. In Toledo, Ohio, where Abuelazam faces a separate attempted murder charge, Lucas County Prosecutor Julia Bates said she would review her case for possible extradition.

Leyton said his decision to suspend the remaining Michigan cases was supported by the victims he was able to reach. But not everyone is satisfied. Natashi Brown, whose son, Etwan Wilson, survived a stabbing at age 17, said "it's a shame."

"My son is still recovering; mentally he'll never recover," Brown said. "If he's going to keep having nightmares, he can at least have one last encounter with Abuelazam in court and the nightmares might stop."

Velma Marshall, the mother of murder victim Darwin Marshall, said she understands the decision but still feels a bit incomplete.

"We have to roll with the punches. ... If I could get my hands on him," Marshall said of Abuelazam. "But I know that is not the correct way. We're Christians."

Leyton had been signaling for months that many trials seemed unlikely. Four survivors were allowed to describe their attacks by testifying against Abuelazam at the first murder trial. When Abuelazam was sentenced to life in prison in June, the prosecutor said he hoped the result would satisfy the victims.

Abuelazam was a drifter with ties to Virginia and Florida. He settled in Flint, where an uncle lived, in spring 2010 and got a job managing a liquor store at night. Police soon received reports of stabbings in the wee hours. Survivors said a muscular man would stop pedestrians and ask for directions or help with his Chevy Blazer before plunging a knife into them.

Authorities had strong evidence against Abuelazam: The blood of victims was found on his shoes and in the Blazer. He was arrested in August 2010 while trying to flee to Israel.

Abuelazam told mental-health experts that he was a paranoid schizophrenic under the spell of demons when he attacked. But experts testifying for prosecutors said they found no mental illness.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

_________________
along comes a spider to sit down beside ya


Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
avatar
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Join date : 2009-05-30

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Serial Killer Elias Abuelazam Convicted, Life With NO Parole

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum