12 yr old Brittany Mae Smith has found in the San Francisco / Jeff Easley pleads no contest and will spend the rest of his life in prison for the murder of Brittany's mother, Tina Smith

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Re: 12 yr old Brittany Mae Smith has found in the San Francisco / Jeff Easley pleads no contest and will spend the rest of his life in prison for the murder of Brittany's mother, Tina Smith

Post by laga on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:44 pm

WHY indeed Wrap???? I may be out of line too, but I am getting the feeling there was not enough parental involvement/control in this household for either child.

laga

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: 12 yr old Brittany Mae Smith has found in the San Francisco / Jeff Easley pleads no contest and will spend the rest of his life in prison for the murder of Brittany's mother, Tina Smith

Post by jeanne1807 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:03 pm

Laga I don't think the son lived with them. In fact I think Tyler was Brittanys half brother. They both had the same mother but different fathers.

I think he was living with his father and step mother. But then again..I am not sure just think I read that somewhere.
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 pm

I do not like making waves about a deceased person but I must say this: WHY in the world would Tina not only meet someone on line but allow this person to actually move in to her home? Maybe I am old as I know lots of peeps are meeting others on all the dating web sites but I would never do that; much less allow them to move in with me and my 12 year old daughter. Hell would freeze over first.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Wrap,

I agree, I would never meet someone online either. You just don't really know their background.

I think that Tina, the mother had to work, so it would be hard to supervisor kids 24/7, and the kids can always figure out how to do way they want out of Mom and Dad's sight. JMO

What exactly is the Choking Game, I think I might know, but just not sure if I am right or not?

Last edited by Praying For Faith on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Normal Welcome to the Official "Choking Game" Awareness site

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:07 pm

The Choking Game is a dangerous oxygen deprivation activity that is popular among school aged teens and older children. The same
(or slight variation) of this activity is also commonly known among teens and tweens as Elevator, Pass out Game, Hangman, Tap Out,
Blackout, Flatliner and many, many more. The object of the "game" is to stop blood flow to the brain until the player passes out.

Educate Yourself with FACTS about the
Choking Game

The Choking Game has been attracting, injuring and
killing teens for generations. When played in a group the
Choking Game carries risks of seizure, memory loss,
broken bones, concussions and potentially death.
Playing alone drastically increases the likelihood of
severe permanent brain damage and death. The
prevalence of teens knowing about and engaging in this
risky behavior is far greater than the level of proactive
preventative education. Until there is mainstreamed
education and awareness, teens will continue to
perceive there is minimal danger and that, according to
them; "it's just like fainting". This needs to stop. Parents
need to be aware, as do children, and all who work with
youth.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Erotic asphyxiation

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: David Caradine, some say......

"The carotid arteries (on either side of the neck) carry oxygen-rich blood from the heart to the brain. When these are compressed, as in strangulation or hanging, the sudden loss of oxygen to the brain and the accumulation of carbon dioxide can increase feelings of giddiness, lightheadness, and pleasure, all of which will heighten masturbatory sensations."
Author George Shuman describes the effect as such "When the brain is deprived of oxygen, it induces a lucid, semi-hallucinogenic state called hypoxia. Combined with orgasm, the rush is said to be no less powerful than cocaine, and highly addictive".
Concerning hallucinogenic states brought about by chronic hypoxia, Dr. E L Lloyd notes that they may be similar to the hallucinations experienced by climbers at altitude. He further notes that no such state occurs in hypoxia brought about by sudden aircraft decompression at altitude. These findings suggest to him that they do not arrive purely from a lack of oxygen. Upon examining the studies on hypoxia he found that "abnormalities in the cerebral neurochemistry involving one or more of the interconnected neurotransmitters, dopamine, 5-hydroxytryptamine, and β-endorphin had been reported in all the conditions associated with hallucinations."

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Choking Game

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:18 pm

When I was about 12 yrs old the neighbor kids and I used to go out to one of their barns (away from our parents) and one of us would press on the arteries on another persons neck while they took deep breathes. The person would pass out. That's all we were looking for...... to "pass out" for a few seconds. We knew nothing about "sexual or euphoric". We were all about the same age and this was around '56. I don't remember where we found out about doing it, but thinking back now................OMG! I only recall doing it a few times.....guess it must not have been that much fun.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:18 pm

omg BJ,

That is much more extreme that what I was thinking. Now I am wondering why the media has not picked up on this and tried to educate these teens. This is just horrible!

I'm glad that you are okay. I do not remember hearing this was going on when I was a teen.

Thanks for the information.

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:37 pm

I worked with a girl back in the late 80s. Her brother had just graduated from high school and was moving into an apartment with his best friend the next day.......all his things were packed. That evening his father came home to find him hanging in the garage....no suicide note. My friend always thought he might have been playing this "choking game", but didn't ever share her thoughts with her parents. Teens always think it can't happen to THEM!.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Right BJ,

"It won't happen to me!" They just do not think, do they.

Strange he was found hanging. I guess he could have been trying to the choking game with the rope. Maybe his sister knew that he was already playing this game.

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Wasn't David Caradine found hanging?

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:23 pm

I couldn't watch all of the You Tube video. OMG, BJ..you could have killed yourself. I have never heard of this before. I asked my son tonight if he ever heard of it and he looked at me like I was nuts. Yes, he has heard of it and knows of kids back in high school who played this and told me he tried it once and it scared him. I had NO clue, like most parent's.

Why would anyone want to pass out by choking? That is completely crazy3

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:20 pm

What an adorable Avatar Wrap!

These kids do not do this in front of the parents. They all want to fit in.

I am glad that it scared your son.

I guess I did not take the time to watch the video earlier. Wow, how scary.

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:30 pm

BJ, yes David Caradine did die from hanging himself.

I do remember hearing that news about him. I just don't pay that much attention to that kind of stuff.

I will post the link, but it is kind of sick to me. He was a 72 year old man.

The mysterious death of actor David Carradine -- perhaps by auto-erotic asphyxia -- focused renewed attention on a practice that is one of the greatest and most dangerous sexual taboos.

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:19 am

We have a whole thread on David Carradine's death.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

I will have to read through some of it after Christmas. Maybe, what I have already read is just gross.

Wrap, that little face in your Avatar is just so cute. I bet you can't keep from kissing that face all over. :lol!:

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:50 am

I can't!! That is my little Noah. He is something else. Thanks for the compliment.

Yea, we had a lot to say on the DC thread. crazy3

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Easley: Brittany Smith rode along voluntarily

Post by Nama on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:44 pm

In a letter from jail, the man accused of abducting Brittany Smith said he'd promised not to leave her behind.

Accused abductor Jeffrey Easley said in a letter from jail that 12-year-old Brittany Smith was his willing cross-country travelling companion.

"I did not kidnapp her or take her aginest her will," Easley, 32, wrote in a letter postmarked Thursday from the Western Virginia Regional Jail. "She made me promise not to leave her."

The one-page letter, hand-printed on lined notebook paper, contains misspellings and lacks punctuation. It doesn't mention the slaying of Tina Smith, 41, who was Easley's girlfriend and Brittany's mother.

"I want the truth out there not all these storys," Easley writes.

It continues: "I made a promise to britt in front of her mom back in july

"i promised never to leave her behind and always to protect her. that what I did."

Tina Smith was found slain at her western Roanoke County home Dec. 6, the same day police discovered that Easley, Brittany and Smith's Dodge Neon were missing. Police found the pair a week later, camping in downtown San Francisco.

Easley was charged with abducting Brittany. Police have called him a suspect in Smith's killing, but no one has been charged.

His letter responds to a Roanoke Times request to interview him.

"Its about time," the letter begins.

Easley told jail authorities on Friday that he would agree to a jailhouse interview, but quickly changed his mind and said he wanted his attorney, Thomas Roe, present. Roe, angry that a reporter had contacted Easley, declined to elaborate on Easley's letter.

"It's way too early in the case," Roe said. "It could hurt his defense."

Brittany has retained Altavista attorney Glenn Berger, who in 1997 won a dismissal of murder charges against an 8-year-old Franklin County boy accused of beating his stepfather to death. Berger would not answer questions about whether Brittany will testify against Easley, or whether she is cooperating with police.

Brittany's father, Benny Smith, a police officer in South Boston, said he did not want to talk about the investigation.

He said Brittany shares time with him and other relatives, sees a counselor twice a week and is being home-schooled.

"Brittany is doing a lot better than anybody thought she would be at this time," Smith said Friday. "She's tough, and she'll make it through all this."

Tina Smith's stepmother said she doesn't understand why no one has been charged in the slaying.

"I'm sitting here going, 'Why isn't this guy being charged with my daughter's death?' " said Liz Dyer, who lives in South Boston, Tina Smith's hometown.

"I know it's not forgotten, but I just would prefer that I could see some evidence that he's going to be charged."

Roanoke County police Lt. Chuck Mason said in a statement on Friday that his detectives and the Roanoke County commonwealth's attorney's office have been actively investigating "the crimes committed against Tina and Brittany Smith." Mason wouldn't answer questions about the case.

"It takes time to complete forensic examinations and to analyze the enormous volume of evidence compiled in this case so far," Mason said in the statement. "Let me assure you when the investigation is complete, and we have a case that is ready for court, we will place charges for the crimes that were committed."

Easley, a landscaper whose mother lives in Franklin County, met Tina Smith online over the summer and moved into the Smiths' home in October. The three became close, according to their postings on social media websites.

Brittany's MySpace page mentions that she and Easley worked out and watched movies together. He called her "Short Stack." She called him "Handcuff Buddy."

Even if Brittany willingly accompanied Easley, the law doesn't care. She's 12, not old enough to give legal consent, police and prosecutors have said.

Easley was being held in solitary confinement at the regional jail. A preliminary hearing on the abduction charge is scheduled for Feb. 8.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:14 pm

BJ♥OR wrote:
Even if Brittany willingly accompanied Easley, the law doesn't care. She's 12, not old enough to give legal consent, police and prosecutors have said.

That is the bottom line! Easley may CLAIM that he didn't kidnap Brittany, but he that is what he will be charged with because she was only 12. I am sure that is not all he did either - once the investigation is complete, he will be charged with much more!!

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:17 pm

Oh for heavens sake. Virginia again. They just can't get it right. Morgan Harringtons is Virginia too.

I was just wondering about this case the other day. No charges and no information. Sounds like VA.

Virginia is not for lovers. It's for killers. MOO
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Roanoke Co., VA - A judge has certified the abduction charge against Easley and next the case will go to a grand jury.

Easley is accused of taking 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith back in December after her mother, Tina, was found bound and beaten to death in her bedroom.

Some new information about the case came out in the preliminary hearing, but not nearly as much as was expected, although it was enough for a juvenile and domestic judge to find probable cause to move the abduction charge forward.

After establishing that Easley and Smith were together after Smith's mother was beaten to death, Roanoke County's commonwealth's attorney focused on exactly what custodial authority Easley had.

The commonwealth argued that Easley did not have permission, from the living parent, to take the 12-year old across state lines.

" Did you ever give permission for Brittany to travel to California with Mr. Easley?" the commonwealth's attorney asked Bennie Smith, Brittany's father.

He replied that he had not given that permission.

Defense lawyer Tom Rowe spent his early strategy tying to establish that Easley was the emergency contact for Brittany.

"It goes to who had the ability to be with Brittany and whether there was a custodial aspect to it of Mr. Easley having the ability to go to Walmart with Brittany," Rowe said.

No one called to the stand could confirm that.

The most difficult testimony came when Bennie Smith admitted to being on administrative leave from the South Boston Police Department prior to the alleged crime.

He also admitted that there was a court order keeping him from his daughter during some point last year, an order he said had ended by the time Brittany disappeared.

"I could have contact with her at that time," Bennie Smith said.

"We need to investigate and find out whether the father even had custody of this child. So that's going to be an issue that needs to be brought up," Rowe said.

Relatives say the young girl was in the courthouse, but she was not called to testify.

This case will now go before the April grand jury.

As for additional charges in relation to the murder of Tina Smith, the Commonwealth is still waiting on a substantial amount of forensic evidence to come back from the lab, while the defense admits that upcoming charges-against someone- are likely.

PRESS RELEASE

ROANOKE COUNTY, VA (February 8, 2011) – A preliminary hearing on a felony abduction charge was held in Roanoke County, VA Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court this morning for 32-year old Jeffrey Scott Easley. After evidence was presented, Judge Philip Trompeter ruled there was enough probable cause to certify the case to the next grand jury.

During the hearing, Judge Trompeter also denied Easley's request for bond and Easley continues to be held in the Western Virginia Regional Jail. Easley is charged with abducting 12-year old Brittany Mae Smith in December. Police realized the child was missing after her mother, Tina Smith, was discovered dead in the family's Roanoke County, VA home on December 6. Easley lived at the home with Brittany and Tina Smith.

Easley and Brittany were located in San Francisco, CA on December 10 after a woman at a supermarket recognized Brittany from national media reports about the case. Easley has not been charged, but has been named a suspect in Tina Smith's death. Police found Tina Smith not breathing and her body bound with cords in an upstairs bedroom of the home.

During the preliminary hearing prosecutors called Brittany's father to testify. Ben Smith told the court that Easley did not have his permission to take Brittany to California. A grand jury will meet next on April 1.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:49 pm

The most difficult testimony came when Bennie Smith admitted to being on administrative leave from the South Boston Police Department prior to the alleged crime.

He also admitted that there was a court order keeping him from his daughter during some point last year, an order he said had ended by the time Brittany disappeared.

"I could have contact with her at that time," Bennie Smith said.

"We need to investigate and find out whether the father even had custody of this child. So that's going to be an issue that needs to be brought up," Rowe said.

What in the world is this all about!? I had not heard anything about this! Anybody know what the deal was about this court order?
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:35 pm

I don't think I've read/heard that anywhere either Lisette!
Does anyone else know about this?
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:21 am

I am wondering the same thing? Why was there a court order in place against her own father?

Also, there still has been no mention (that I know of) of whether Easley raped her. I assume that he did, and if so, that should certainly be brought up in court!

Back to top Go down

Normal life in prison if convicted

Post by Nama on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Roanoke County authorities said a grand jury has indicted Jeffrey Scott Easley, 33, on a charge of abduction with intent to defile. He could face life in prison if convicted. Prosecutors sought the charge because police believed Easley intended to sexually assault Brittany Mae Smith, who was 12 years old when Easley allegedly abducted her to San Francisco in December.

Easley had originally been charged with abduction, and would have received no more than 10 years in prison if convicted of that offense, the Roanoke Times reports.

Easley has not been charged in the death of Brittany's mother, Tina Smith.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:22 pm

I wonder if this guy is going to be charged with murdering Tina? I sure hope so!
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:24 pm

A Roanoke County Circuit Court grand jury returned an indictment on Friday in the abduction case against Jeffrey Scott Easley. His court date for the abduction charge — with the intent to defile — is July 28 and 29.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:25 pm

The murder is still under investigation. I'm sure those charges will be coming.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Hummm. I had kind of put this one out of my mind. No word for so long. But I figured since her dad was LE they would play it close to the belt to protect her.

Yes it is strange they are charging him with Abduction with Intent to Defile but poor Tina lies cold and whodunnit?
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm actually surprised at the charge of "with the intent to defile". I was sure he had "defiled".

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for the update, BJ. I hate to admit that I had forgotten about this one. Surely he is going to be charged with murder. Maybe they think that other guy on the video at the gas station did the actual murder, but Easley had something to do with it, and (I hate to say it) maybe even Brittany.
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:19 am

BJ wrote:I'm actually surprised at the charge of "with the intent to defile". I was sure he had "defiled".
I had to look up defile. Had no clue what it meant.
de·file 1 (d-fl)
tr.v. de·filed, de·fil·ing, de·files
1. To make filthy or dirty; pollute: defile a river with sewage.
2. To debase the pureness or excellence of; corrupt: a country landscape that was defiled by urban sprawl.
3. To profane or sully (a reputation, for example).
4. To make unclean or unfit for ceremonial use; desecrate: defile a temple.
5. To violate the chastity of.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/defile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slys Hunny on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:29 am

I have to admit I agree with lisette as much as I hate to think its possible. I think this girl had a hand in on or didnt attempt to stop her mothers murder.Ive thought so ever since the walmart photo was released. Im sure this sick SOB made this little girl think he was in love with her. At that age a kid especially without good parenting will look for love anywhere. Kids are so vulnerable especially girls at that age IMO. I just cant imagine what kind of nightmares this girl will have through her life time when she matures enough to realise this POS never loved her and just wanted to hurt her for his own sick gain.
Slys Hunny

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:41 am

lisette wrote:Thanks for the update, BJ. I hate to admit that I had forgotten about this one. Surely he is going to be charged with murder. Maybe they think that other guy on the video at the gas station did the actual murder, but Easley had something to do with it, and (I hate to say it) maybe even Brittany.

Thats what I am thinking Lisette. Perhaps some kind of plea bargain. They aren't going to give out any information. Brittanys father is a cop. Need I say more!

Goodbye Tina...Rest In Peace.
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:25 pm

Audio: His attorney says Jeff Easely looks forward to the opportunity to offer his account of events. "When that time comes he will use that time to explain his side of it."

Please, don't insult our intelligence!

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Slys Hunny on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Hes going to blame everything on Brittany. I saw this comming all along. What a POS
Slys Hunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:40 pm

I agree, Sly!!! LOVE your avatar!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:53 pm

BJ wrote:Audio: His attorney says Jeff Easely looks forward to the opportunity to offer his account of events. "When that time comes he will use that time to explain his side of it."

Please, don't insult our intelligence!
Jeff and Casey and a few others, too. Can't wait to hear HIS version. Wonder if he'll take the stand or hide behind his lawyer? Lets see.......maybe he'll throw his mother under the bus to keep George Anthony company.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:46 am

BJ wrote:I'm actually surprised at the charge of "with the intent to defile". I was sure he had "defiled".

That's exactly what I was thinking, BJ! This really surprises me, but I hope that it is true... somehow it seems doubtful. Also, I agree with those who are wondering about Tina's murder... no charges yet? shocked3

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Fri May 06, 2011 11:52 am

Most of the lab results are back in the Tina Smith murder investigation. Smith was found dead in her Roanoke County home back in December. Police say she was murdered. Her 12 year old daughter Brittany was missing sparking a nationwide search. She was found a week later in San Francisco. Investigators say Smith's boyfriend Jeffrey Easley kidnapped her daughter.

Easley is currently behind bars charged with kidnapping with the intent of having sex with an underage girl. He is the main suspect in the murder of Tina Smith.

News 7 talked to the lead investigator in the case, one day after he won an award from the National Center for Missing and Exploited children for his involvement in the case.

Chris Welch wouldn't go into specifics but says most of the lab results are back. He characterized the lab results as good. He says the results are matching the initial assessment of the case, that it's basically backing it up, there have been no surprises.

Welch says Easley is still the main suspect. He says charges could be filed when the grand jury meets in June. Welch says they are in the final phase of the investigation, there will soon be a conclusion.

They are waiting for the final report from the medical examiner's office. It's unclear when that will be completed.

Welch declined to address the issue about Brittany's possible involvement in the murder investigation.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Man indicted in death of abducted child's mother

CNN) -- A man charged in a Virginia girl's abduction has also been indicted in the slaying of her mother, authorities said Friday.
Jeffrey Scott Easley, 33, could face the death penalty, but prosecutors have not made a decision, Roanoke County officials said in a press release.
Easley is accused of killing Tina Smith, 41, in her home, officials said.
He was arrested in December after he was accused of abducting Smith's daughter, then 12, and taking her across the country before being spotted outside a San Francisco supermarket. Easley was arrested on abduction charges, as well as counts of credit card theft and credit card fraud. He waived extradition.
On Friday, a Roanoke County grand jury charged Easley with murder in the commission of abduction with intent to defile. The capital murder charge means Easley faces the possibility of life in prison with no parole or death, according to the statement.
Easley's attorney, Thomas W. Roe Jr., has said his client will contest any allegations. He did not return a call seeking comment Friday.
Police believe that Smith, Easley's girlfriend, was killed December 3.
An Amber Alert was issued for the girl December 6, after co-workers found Smith's body inside her Salem home and discovered that her daughter was missing. From the beginning, public notices named Easley, who is being held without bail, as the abduction suspect.
Easley is also charged with abduction with intent to defile for allegedly taking the girl from her home and faces a potential life sentence if convicted in that case. Police believe that Easley intended to sexually assault the child when she was abducted, officials said Friday. That trial will probably be delayed.
In January, Easley wrote a letter to the Roanoke Times, saying the girl was his willing cross-country companion.
"I did not kidnapp her or take her aginest her will," Easley wrote in a misspelled letter postmarked from the Western Virginia Regional Jail. "She made me promise not to leave her."
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal questions about Brittany Smith

Post by Nama on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:52 pm

Leach acknowledged that some in the community have raised questions about Brittany Smith, but said there were no plans to charge her with anything at this point. He emphasized that her family and attorney were cooperating with the investigation.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:55 pm

I bet little Brittany is having a fit that her "friend" has been indicted. I do wonder what, if any, her involvement was.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:59 pm

I wonder the same thing Wrap! Someday we will know.

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:37 am

Make that three of us wondering the same thing.

I still think Brittany isn't as innocent in all this.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Five!

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:36 am

Jeffrey Easley gets new lead attorney
Salem attorney Mark Claytor is certified by the state to defend capital murder cases.
By Cody Lowe

Sporting a bushy, slightly graying beard and a wide smile, Jeffrey Scott Easley returned to Roanoke County Circuit Court on Wednesday.

After a brief appearance, he had a newly appointed lead attorney to help defend him against a capital murder charge in the December death of Tina Smith.

In a 15-minute hearing, Judge James Swanson appointed Salem attorney Mark Claytor to be Easley's lead attorney in the capital case.

Thomas Roe, previously appointed to defend Easley on a charge of abduction with intent to defile Smith's daughter, will be Easley's co-counsel.

By law, defendants who are charged with capital crimes and lack the means to hire their own lawyer must be aided by specially trained lead lawyers certified by the state's Indigent Defense Commission. Claytor said he has defended more than a dozen capital cases in the past 15 years.

In addition to years of defending clients in jury trials, the specialist attorneys must, according to the commission's website, "have served as lead counsel in the defense of at least one capital case within the past five years; or served as co-counsel in the defense of at least two capital cases within the past seven years." They also must have at least six hours of specialized training in capital litigation within the past two years. Only 14 such lawyers are certified in the 23rd Judicial District, which includes Roanoke County.

Swanson noted that Easley's defense also will be aided by the Virginia Capital Defender's Office, a special unit of the state public defender system specifically trained to assist in capital cases.

Swanson set aside time for the cases on Aug. 12, but, if necessary, it likely will be used only to hear motions.

On Wednesday, Easley specifically gave up his right to a speedy trial. Both his lawyers and Roanoke County Commonwealth's Attorney Randy Leach acknowledged that it will take months to prepare their cases.

Easley, 33, drew national attention when he disappeared with Tina Smith's then 12-year-old daughter, Brittany, just about the time Tina Smith's body was found on Dec. 6. He and the girl were found panhandling in San Francisco four days later.

On their return to Roanoke, Easley -- who had been living with the Smiths since October -- was charged with abduction and Brittany Smith was reunited with family.

The capital murder charge wasn't filed until fully six months after Smith's body was found. Much of the delay was in getting complete analyses of evidence from the state crime lab, Leach said.

Lawyers on both sides of the case said Wednesday it is far too early to know when the case might come to trial, and the defense team said it has not considered whether to request a change of venue.

Leach previously indicated that he has not yet decided whether to pursue the death penalty in the case, or a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

lisette

Back to top Go down

Normal Brittany Smith's lawyer talking with Roanoke County prosecutors

Post by Nama on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:12 pm

10 On Your Side has learned discussions are on-going between the Roanoke County commonwealth's attorney's office and a lawyer representing Brittany Smith.

Jeff Easley is charged with the capital murder of Brittany Smith's mother, Tina Smith.

He's also charged with kidnapping Brittany back in December of 2010.

Roanoke County commonwealth's attorney Randy Leach confirmed he's having "on-going discussions" with Brittany Smith's attorney, Glenn Berger.

Leach declined to reveal the nature of those discussions.

Leach said he could not comment on if those discussions centered around Brittany Smith's potential testimony in the case against Easley.

Berger said he did not want his client judged on the fact her family hired him to represent her.

Berger said he's looking to ensure that a young girl, "who is innocent, is protected from the public, the media, and the system in every way."

In a court filing from last February, Easley's attorney, Tom Roe, claimed Brittany Smith wasn't talking to investigators, which required more work and "research" in order to defend Easley.

Roe also declined comment for this story.

Leach said Brittany Smith is now operating under the advice of her attorney.

Investigators said Brittany Smith has been interviewed by police.

Easley's next court appearance is set for November.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:13 pm

It would be my guess that they are trying to get her to tell them just what happened to her mother.

So they can prosecute Easley and get a conviction.

I think she is not talking, on advice of counsel because she is guilty as hell.

Thats when they tell their client..don't talk.

She probably has a better chance of getting nothing with her silence because nobody knows what happened but the three of them. One is dead.

MOO
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum