Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole!

+12
le
Heike
cherylz
Lilone
raine1953
charminglane
laga
lisette
Nama
artgal16
jeanne1807
Wrapitup
16 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty Re: Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole!

Post by charminglane Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:27 pm

He might have been bludgeoned with the torch.
Horrible.

charminglane

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty Re: Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole!

Post by Nama Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:47 pm

I read somewhere that Jonathan might have been alive, but gagged, when he was burned with the welding torch and that would have kept any soot from entering his lungs. That wasn't easy to write. Let's hope that wasn't the case. 🇳🇴
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty Video showing Mona Nelson's ex husband, Michael Nelson

Post by Nama Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Can't embed the video on this link:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty News conference on Dec 30/ 21 minutes long

Post by Nama Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:37 am

Thanks for posting that video, BJ! It is clear that the homicide detective was very shaken by Jonathan's death... and I am too. The death of an innocent 12 year old boy is tragic enough, but add to that his death on Christmas Eve at the hands of a "woman" and in such a gruesome & torturous manner! It's just unimaginable & I agree with Wrap that this case & Zahra Baker's case are the worst that I have ever heard of, and I truly hope that no more children ever suffer like these two innocent children again!! What a sad start to the new year. crying
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Have we heard anyone from the family say anything regarding Jonathon looking forward to Christmas? About any presents that were wrapped for him? About how excited he was? Other than the fact that he was relieved and happy to be back with his mother, I have not read of anyone saying that this child would have had a "normal" family Christmas. It is very strange to me.
My hinky meter is up. Again.
charminglane
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:20 pm

I read (and it may be posted here) that he was excited to be getting some sort of a video game system for Christmas.
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty Quanell X: 'I believe this case is a drug debt'

Post by Nama Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Quanell X today said that Mona Nelson, accused of the kidnapping-murder of 12-year-old Jonathan Foster, admitted that she had dumped the boy's burned body in a northeast Houston ditch. But, the Houston activist added, the woman had no motive for killing the child.
Quanell X said he attended Nelson's first court appearance today at the request of her family. Nelson, 44, this morning was advised of her rights by 182nd state District Court Judge Jeannine Barr, then remanded to county jail, where she is being held without bail on a capital murder charge.
Barr appointed lawyer Allen Tanner to defend Nelson. Tanner was not immediately available for comment.
"I believe this case is a drug debt," Quanell X said, adding that he based his comments on an earlier interview with Nelson. "I do not believe she had a motive to kill the boy."
The activist said he anticipates further arrests in the case. "I don't believe this case is solved at all," he said, "and I would urge the public not to rush to judgment."
Harris County Assistant District Attorney Connie Spence said she is "satisfied with the investigation by the Houston Police Department. They did an excellent job."
Still, she said, the investigation is continuing, and she is optimistic a crime lab examination of evidence could develop more evidence.
She said she expects to present Nelson's case to a grand jury in "a couple of months."
Foster disappeared from his family home shortly before 2 p.m. on Christmas Eve. His burned body was found near a northeast Houston culvert last Tuesday. Authorities he was killed and his body burned elsewhere.
Quanell X said he became involved in the case at Nelson's request. He said Nelson told him the seemingly incriminating burned carpet at her residence had caught fire months ago. "She had called on her landlord to fix it," he said.
Nelson, attired in an orange county jail jumpsuit, quietly listened as Barr apprised of her of her rights. Then, in a low voice, she affirmed that she understood the explanation.
Quanell X, speaking to reporters afterward, said she seemed "weaker physically and mentally."
"I could tell that she was absolutely stressed out," he said. "This has taken its toll."

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty Accused killer Mona Nelson appears in court

Post by Nama Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 pm

The woman accused in the murder of 12-year-old Jonathan Foster briefly appeared before a judge Monday. It was the first court appearance for Mona Nelson after a medical delay last week.

This is the first time we've seen and heard from Mona Nelson publicly. She only spoke two words in open court -- 'yes, ma'am,' to indicate to the judge that she understood her rights as read.
Nelson is accused of killing 12-year-old Jonathan Foster by tying his hands behind his back with twine and burning his body beyond recognition.

The boy vanished from his home on Christmas Eve. Nelson was arrested four days later.

In an exclusive interview with Eyewitness News, the murder suspect admitted driving to a ditch in northeast Houston and dumping the body, though she denies killing the child. Nelson says she was paid to dump a plastic container.

Police say there was no container. There is, however, surveillance video from that scene showing a woman with a pickup truck matching the description of Mona Nelson's truck dumping the body. Police also say they found physical evidence at Nelson's home, linking her to Foster's murder, such as burned carpet and twine consistent with the ties found on the boy's wrists.
Prosecutors say they are confident for now that they have a strong case.

"I am satisfied with the investigation. I think the Houston Police Department did an excellent job," said prosecutor Connie Spence. "There is more work to be done. There is evidence that is at the crime lab that we hope will produce even more evidence. But I believe that the Houston Police Department officers and sergeants that were involved did a very thorough investigation."

Nelson is charged with capital murder. She is being held without bond. She has been appointed an attorney who is familiarizing himself with the case.

The case will now go to a grand jury.

Foster's parents were not present at Monday's court appearance.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:03 pm

BJ♥️OR wrote:"I believe this case is a drug debt," Quanell X said, adding that he based his comments on an earlier interview with Nelson. "I do not believe she had a motive to kill the boy."

What kind of name is Quanell X? It reminds me of Malcolm X - maybe they are related! As for the motive, the drug debt is an interesting thought, as I think Jonathan's mother was into drugs in the past. However, it still doesn't completely make sense & it definitely doesn't make Mona look more innocent!! over reaction
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty Quanell X

Post by Nama Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Quanell X (pronounced /ˈɛks/) (born Quanell Ralph Evans; December 7, 1970) is the leader of the New Black Panther Party in Houston, Texas.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty Quanell X: Woman accused in boy's kidnapping, death did not act alone

Post by Nama Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Quanell X: Woman accused in boy's kidnapping, death did not act alone

Addressing the media outside a Houston courtroom Monday, local activist Quanell X questioned whether a woman accused of capital murder in the abduction and death of a 12-year-old Houston boy acted alone.
Mona Nelson,44, appeared in court to hear her rights Monday morning.
Prosecutors say she kidnapped, killed and dumped the burned body of Jonathan Foster on Christmas Eve.
Foster disappeared from his apartment while his mother and her roommate were at work.
His charred remains were found in a ditch four days later.
"Clearly, it’s an awful case. And anytime you have the death of a child – particularly in the manner that this child died – it makes it even more heart-wrenching," prosecutor Connie Spence said.
Nelson was an acquaintance of Foster’s mother and a friend of the mother’s roommate, police said.
Investigators have said they believe Nelson acted alone, but they’ve yet to establish a motive.
"Right now, I don’t know exactly what the motive is," Spence said. "Really, there’s probably only one person who knows that, and she has an attorney at this point."
Spence praised HPD’s investigation, but noted that there was still work to be done.
"I’m sure everybody’s curious as to why this happened, why this defendant is involved with a 12-year-old boy, and I can’t answer that right now," she added.
But Quanell X, who said he’s spoken with Nelson and promised her he’d attend her first court appearance, said he believes she had no motive, and that there may have been others involved.
"This is an awful tragedy. This child is dead, yes. This child should be alive. But I do not believe Miss Nelson had a motive to harm this child," he said. "I don’t believe this case has been solved yet at all. So I think the public should not rush to judgment solely on Miss Nelson’s lone guilt, as if she’s the sole suspect in this case. There’s a lot more to this case."
The activist said he believes there was a drug debt involved in the murder.
Investigators have said they found a "boatload" of evidence in Nelson’s apartment, including burned carpet and twine similar to material found on the body. They said they also found welding equipment and torches in her home, as well as other physical evidence in a trash can.
Police said Nelson was captured by surveillance cameras dumping Foster’s body around 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 24.
Initially, investigators said Nelson denied having anything to do with Foster’s death, but she later admitted to disposing of his body.
Still, she’s insisted that she did not kill him.
Quanell X said he believes she is protecting someone.
"She appears to be a hardened lady – you know, a tough lady. Tough enough to where she would try to protect others who were involved in this," he said.
Nelson was being held in the Harris County Jail Monday without bond.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty carpet

Post by Nama Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:27 pm

I wonder what the landlord would have to say about this?

Foster disappeared from his family home shortly before 2 p.m. on Christmas Eve. His burned body was found near a northeast Houston culvert last Tuesday. Authorities believe he was killed and his body burned elsewhere.
Quanell X said he became involved in the case at Nelson's request. He said Nelson told him the seemingly incriminating burned carpet at her residence had caught fire months ago. "She had called on her landlord to fix it," he said.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by laga Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:32 pm

BJ, help, didn't I read somewhere here that there was evidence on the burned carpet of decomposition? Did she murder someone else months ago that we have yet to find out about? I don't think Q X is helping her very much......but why did this guy involve himself in this?
laga
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:49 pm

I don't think I heard there was evidence on the carpet; in fact I read somewhere that there wouldn't be any decomp on the carpet because the body was burned immediately.

Last edited by BJ♥OR on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:53 am

BJ♥OR wrote:Quanell X (pronounced /ˈɛks/) (born Quanell Ralph Evans; December 7, 1970) is the leader of the New Black Panther Party in Houston, Texas.

Thanks, BJ! I was just thinking that this could have been racially motivated - a blond-haired, blue-eyed white boy murdered by a black woman. If the races had been reversed (ie. a black boy murdered by a white woman), I think the African-American community would be rioting on the streets!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Jonathan Foster disappeared from his home on Oak Street on Dec. 24. His burned body was found in a drainage ditch on Dec. 28.
Family and friends gathered to say goodbye at the Garden Oaks Baptist Church in northwest Houston.
"He taught me unconditional love," said Mary Gifford, Jonathan's grandmother.
Gifford said she had too many fond memories to single out just one.
Jonathan's uncle said he took the boy hunting and fishing for the first time and raised Jonathan from 6 to 11 years old.
"(He will be) remembered not as the 12-year-old who was murdered, but as an energetic young man," Glenn Scrimsher said.
Mona Yvette Nelson, 44, has been charged with capital murder in Jonathan's death. Prosecutors have not said if they plan to seek the death penalty if she is convicted.
Nelson has admitted to dumping the body, but claims she did not kill him, detectives said.
Community activist Quanell X said Nelson told him that Jonathan's stepfather, David Davis, paid her $20 to dump something, but she did not know that it was a body.
"There's more to this, and I believe the stepfather needs to step up to the plate and be absolutely honest and tell the truth because he knows more than he's saying," Quanell X said Monday.
Davis called the allegations lies and said his family is just trying to get through the boy's funeral on Tuesday.
A visitation will be held at Garden Oaks Baptist Church, 3206 N. Shepherd Drive, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jonathan's funeral will take place at the church at 1:30 p.m. He will be buried at South Park Cemetery in Pearland.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Friends, family and those who just want to honor the life of 12-year-old Jonathan Foster are gathering right now to remember him and say goodbye to a young boy that investigators say was the victim of a horrible crime.

Foster is being remembered this morning as a smart, fun-loving little boy whose life was cut too short. Foster was abducted from his home on Christmas Eve and his body was found four days later in a ditch. Mona Nelson, 44, is behind bars on capital murder charges in connection with the boy's death.
This is a very difficult day for this family, but despite that, Jonathan Foster's maternal grandmother and his uncle, the man who raised the boy for years, sat down with us. They emphasized they want everyone to remember Jonathan as a smiling, curios, obedient and innocent child. They don't want everyone to think about the horrific and brutal death that he endured.

There are a couple of interesting notes from the family today. For the first time, the family has asked the media to stop referring to Jonathan's stepfather as such. They say David Davis never acted like a father and was simply somebody who married Jonathan's mother. For the first time, there was a little bit of public tension. The family refused to answer any questions about why Mona Nelson would implicate David Davis.

The boy's grandmother, Mary Gifford, described Jonathann as an obedient child who would trust and listen to adults and for that reason, she said she believes Jonathan knew his murderer. They are now putting trust in the justice system to do the rest while they remember the joy that Jonathan brought to their lives.
"When he loved, he loved you," said Gifford. "He didn't care that you had to ground him because he didn't do his homework or whatever the case may be. That was just him."

"I was like his father," said Jonathan's uncle, Glenn Scrimsher. "His first time out in the woods hunting was with me. His first fish he caught was with me. He loved to ride his bike. He loved to play basketbal. He had long fingers, perfect for basketball. That is what he loved."

Jonathan lived with his uncle, aunt and six cousins in Mississippi and Missouri from the age of 6 to 11. Just last year, he returned to Texas.

"People who knew him will remember how energetic he was; the smiles, always willing to help somebody," said Schrimsher.

Just one day before Jonathan's burial, the woman accused of killing him and burning his body beyond recognition appeared in court.

"I'm sure everybody is curious as to why this happened, why this defendant is involved with a 12-year-old little boy," said prosecutor Connie Spence. "And I can't answer that right now."

Prosecutors are confident the 44-year-old acted alone on Christmas Eve and say physical evidence recovered at her home links her to the crime.

Nelson's attorney, Allen Tanner, told Eyewitness News by phone, "She is not the cold, soul-less killer police are making her out to be."

But for Jonathan's family, it's hard to put feelings into words.

"The Lord will deal with her," said Schrimsher. "The laws we have in place will deal with that and it's not going to bring him back, but we have Jonathan."

They are focused on remembering what they describe as a full life, even though it was just twelve short years.

"All his manners and the way he carried himself, that was me, instilling on him how to grow up and be a man and I think he did that until the end," said Schrimsher.

Jonathan's family says they hope his case will prompt improved response times on missing children. They fear if predators know there is a window of opportunity, they will take advantage of it.

Visitation is from 10am to 1pm at Garden Oaks Baptist Xhurch. The funeral begins at 1:30pm. Foster will be buried at South Park Cemetery in Pearland.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:24 am

I am thinking Mona is a member.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilone Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:41 am

I believe the evidence in the carpet was just the fact that there were burn marks, showing that the torch was used there. I don't remember anything about dna, blood or any biological evidence.
Lilone
Lilone

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:42 am

subdued Mona Nelson, charged with capital murder in the death of a 12-year-old boy, made her first appearance in court Monday. Then, after leaving the courtroom en route to her cell, she burst into wracking sobs.

"She cried her eyes out," her court-appointed attorney, Allen Tanner, said later. "She's not the stone-cold mean woman like the cops have made out."

Nelson, 44, is charged in the death of Jonathan Foster, whose charred body was found in a northeast Houston ditch last Tuesday, four days after he disappeared from his mother's home on Christmas Eve.

In 182nd District Court on Monday, Judge Jeannine Barr apprised Nelson of her rights and appointed Tanner as her attorney.

Tanner said he plans to meet with Nelson in the next few days to discuss the case.

"I don't know anything yet," he said. "I haven't gotten any reports from the state. I, hopefully, will find out what's going on. There just seem to be a lot of unanswered questions."

Foster disappeared from his family home about 2 p.m. Dec. 24. His body was found in a culvert near East Hardy and Schilder. With no indication of a fire at the scene, authorities concluded he had been killed and burned elsewhere.

Police found a portion of burned carpet, "hit on" by a cadaver dog, in Nelson's garbage. They also recovered twine that resembled the cord used to bind the boy's hands.

Nelson was linked to the case when surveillance video, filmed from a nearby office building, showed her Ford F-150 truck near the culvert. A witness told police a similar vehicle was seen at the boy's home earlier in the day and identified Nelson as the occupant.

Complaining of a stomach ailment, Nelson did not attend an earlier hearing in which a Harris County magistrate deemed probable cause existed for her arrest and detention.

New leads expected
Harris County Assistant District Attorney Connie Spence said she expects to present the case against Nelson to grand jurors in a couple of months.

Spence said the investigation into the boy's death is ongoing, and she expressed optimism that crime lab examination of physical evidence will develop additional leads.

Houston activist Quanell X attended Monday's court session at the request of Nelson's family.

After a meeting with Nelson, he said the woman admitted dumping the boy's body, but he believes that someone else may have been responsible for the killing.

"I believe this case is a drug debt," he said. "I do not believe that she had a motive to kill the boy. … I don't believe this case is solved at all, and I would urge the public not to rush to judgment."

Investigation ongoing
Police homicide Capt. David Gott invited the activist to share information with investigators.

"Obviously, it's very hard to tell whether she acted on her own, considering that we don't have all the details of the offense," he said. "She didn't give us a confession. She didn't tell us a lot of the things she's telling Quanell X."

Gott acknowledged the investigation is continuing.

"There's always the possibility that there could be someone else involved, but right now there's nobody else who's being targeted and it doesn't look like there's going to be charges filed on anybody else," he said.

Nelson pleaded guilty to an aggravated robbery charge in 1984 in return for 10 years' probation. Her probation was revoked in 1991, and she was sent to prison. She was paroled in October 1994.
source:
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty The catch and release killer

Post by Nama Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Titus County's reputation was sullied recently with the revelation that a long-time resident, Mona Nelson, was arrested as the suspect in the murder of 12-year old Jonathan Foster, who disappeared in Houston on Christmas Eve.

As we wrote on Dec. 31, Nelson was arrested ten times from 1991 to 2008 in Titus County for offenses ranging from traffic fines to family violence and assault, according to our jail records.

The last time she was arrested, in 2008, was for three counts of Injury to a Child - a fact mentioned by other media in Houston and elsewhere.

Last year, the subject of the so-called "catch and release" system practiced in Titus County - how in some courts a quarter of the subjects never showed up, and the judge never cashed in their surety bonds - became a campaign issue, and was a contributing factor in the defeat of County Judge Sam Russell at the polls in November.

Last Monday - on his first business day after assuming the office as County Judge - Brian Lee called in the bail bondsmen and took the radical step of telling them what the law is, and that he expected them to obey it.

Obeying the law! What an innovation in Titus County!

Someone expressed surprise to me that there was no "trouble" at the meeting. "What could they do," I said, "stand up and say, 'we don't want to follow the law like we're supposed to?" I mean, we know some of these bondsmen feel that way, but none of them are stupid enough to say it in public.

The Mona Nelson case now brings forward the other "catch and release" problem we face in our justice system, the tendency of the prosecutors to take the easy way out and let criminals plea bargain their way out of jail time.

In retrospect, anyone with half a brain should have recognized Nelson was violent and would probably some day kill somebody. So why was she walking around, free as a bird?

Because prosecutors can count any kind of guilty plea - even one that only results in probation - as a "win". So they take the easy way out and let people remain at large, until - like Nelson - they commit some truly heinous crime.

In 2011, we need to see our District Attorney, Chuck Bailey, take a hard line and put more of these repeat offenders behind bars. We have right now people in Titus County who rob and steal with impunity, with no sense of right or wrong , or remorse. People get off with no jail time - in other counties as well as Titus - because of this taking the easy way out.

I don't know about other counties, but I will be watching in Titus. I know of a particular case involving a career criminal who spent eight years in prison, who got probation and deferred adjudication in another county last year, and now is coming up for a plea in February in Titus County for stealing from a slew of local businesses.

This particular felon has been known to mock, scream at, threaten and impersonate me in my capacity as a journalist. If Bailey lets this thug skate with a slap on the wrist, I guarantee voters will be reminded of that when he runs for re-election.

More importantly, we can't afford to wait to stop punks like this until they do something as horrible as Mona Nelson did.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:11 pm

Today I read where the budget crisis in California is so bad that they will start releasing a lot more "low level"
offenders and probaby start implementing the catch and release here as well. They almost do it anyway.
Its really scary and the Foster case is a good example
of what these policies will bring.
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:43 pm

artgal16 wrote: subdued Mona Nelson, charged with capital murder in the death of a 12-year-old boy, made her first appearance in court Monday. Then, after leaving the courtroom en route to her cell, she burst into wracking sobs.

"She cried her eyes out," her court-appointed attorney, Allen Tanner, said later. "She's not the stone-cold mean woman like the cops have made out."

Nelson, 44, is charged in the death of Jonathan Foster, whose charred body was found in a northeast Houston ditch last Tuesday, four days after he disappeared from his mother's home on Christmas Eve.

I'm sure she wasn't crying her eyes out because poor little Jonathan is dead. I'm sure she isn't crying because poor little Jonathan was/might have been tortured. No, she just got out of her first court appearance, charged with capital murder, yeah, she's crying her eyes out because she got caught.

Police found a portion of burned carpet, "hit on" by a cadaver dog, in Nelson's garbage. They also recovered twine that resembled the cord used to bind the boy's hands.

Nelson was linked to the case when surveillance video, filmed from a nearby office building, showed her Ford F-150 truck near the culvert. A witness told police a similar vehicle was seen at the boy's home earlier in the day and identified Nelson as the occupant.

Complaining of a stomach ailment, Nelson did not attend an earlier hearing in which a Harris County magistrate deemed probable cause existed for her arrest and detention.

New leads expected
Harris County Assistant District Attorney Connie Spence said she expects to present the case against Nelson to grand jurors in a couple of months.

Spence said the investigation into the boy's death is ongoing, and she expressed optimism that crime lab examination of physical evidence will develop additional leads.

Houston activist Quanell X attended Monday's court session at the request of Nelson's family.

After a meeting with Nelson, he said the woman admitted dumping the boy's body, but he believes that someone else may have been responsible for the killing.

"I believe this case is a drug debt," he said. "I do not believe that she had a motive to kill the boy. … I don't believe this case is solved at all, and I would urge the public not to rush to judgment."

If sensitive/caring Nelson didn't act alone she sure doesn't care if the *other killer* still walks the streets with other children that could be killed because their parent(s) have a drug debt. Oh no, I'm not rushing to judgement about sensitive/caring Nelson, I wouldn't think of it. I'd say water boarding is in order here so if there's another killer of little Jonathan, LE can get him/her off the street now, there are other children/people in danger!

Investigation ongoing
Police homicide Capt. David Gott invited the activist to share information with investigators.

"Obviously, it's very hard to tell whether she acted on her own, considering that we don't have all the details of the offense," he said. "She didn't give us a confession. She didn't tell us a lot of the things she's telling Quanell X."

Gott acknowledged the investigation is continuing.

"There's always the possibility that there could be someone else involved, but right now there's nobody else who's being targeted and it doesn't look like there's going to be charges filed on anybody else," he said.

Nelson pleaded guilty to an aggravated robbery charge in 1984 in return for 10 years' probation. Her probation was revoked in 1991, and she was sent to prison. She was paroled in October 1994.
source:
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by laga Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Raine, what you said in blue above....ditto! You are right and said it so well!
laga
laga

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty Police still want to know why Houston boy, 12, was killed

Post by Nama Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Hours after Christmas Day dinner at her sister's Third Ward apartment, Mona Yvette Nelson, a nomadic 44-year-old maintenance worker, was jolted by a TV news report detailing the disappearance of 12-year-old Jonathan Foster from a ramshackle Garden Oaks enclave.

"I know those people," she reportedly told her sister, Angie Johnson, 62, after watching Jonathan's mother, Angela Davis, plead for help in finding her son.

Four days later, Nelson found herself in a Harris County jail cell, charged in the boy's slaying as veteran homicide detectives with uncharacteristic candor painted her a monster.

"She is a cold, soulless murderer who showed an absolute lack of remorse in taking the life of Jonathan Foster," said Michael Miller, the lead homicide detective on the case for the Houston Police Department.

With that, the evil that had visited the impoverished pocket of Garden Oaks on Christmas Eve had a face, and a nickname that went viral on the Internet: "Mona the Monster."

Since her arrest, a much more nuanced picture of Nelson — the daughter of a retired schoolteacher and deceased mortician - has emerged. There are hints of the alleged monster. Her Face­book page described an affinity for the movie Saw. Her boxing nickname was "Iron Fist." But those details are troubling only when taken in the context of Jonathan's grisly death.

Nelson's family, her defenders, paint her as a patsy who dumped what she thought was a bag of trash at someone else's request. She's a mother, a grandmother of five. Doing this, to a boy the age of one her own grand­babies?

No way, they say.

"She is not a monster," insisted her mother, Mary Lee Preston, of Mount Pleasant.

Whether Nelson is the cold-blooded killer, the raspy voice overheard in Jonathan's last phone call to his mother, remains to be seen. She has been charged with capital murder and kidnapping but has admitted only to dumping the boy's body, saying she thought it was "garbage."

Possible accomplice?
The key piece of the puzzle in the case - the motive - is elusive, or at least still a well-guarded secret. And then there's this: If Nelson didn't do it, she must know who did. She must know the Monster.

Somewhere along the six miles between the rundown apartment where the boy had lived with his mother and the weedy ditch near the Hardy Toll Road where his scorched body was dumped lie the vexing and scant details.

"This is the only person (Nelson) we have evidence on for the murder," Assistant District Attorney Connie Spence told the Houston Chronicle when asked if it was possible there was an accomplice.

At first, the Foster case seemed unbelievably random. A boy spending Christmas Eve day at home - alone while his mother worked - playing computer games, watching cartoons. Neither police nor anyone who knows her have an explanation for why Nelson might have killed Jonathan.

Interviews with family and friends who saw her in the days after the boy disappeared say Nelson was not nervous.

She was, though, worried about money.

"I asked if she was coming home (for Christmas)," said Preston, Nelson's 79-year-old mother. "She said, 'I don't know. I'm trying to save up money to buy something for my truck.' "

The day after Christmas, Nelson received a $20 pay advance from her boss so she could fill her truck with gas. Nelson's adult daughter, who also lives in Mount Pleasant with her five children, said Nelson was strapped for cash.

"The Tuesday after Christmas, she called, checking up," said Ava Nelson, 27. "She said she couldn't come up there because she didn't have any money."

Caught on video
The biggest break in the case for police came after the missing boy was found dead.

Security video in the area shows Nelson getting out of her silver pickup and placing what was later determined to be Jonathan's body in a culvert at 6 p.m. Christmas Eve, about four hours after he was last seen.

Traction on Jonathan's disappearance was hampered initially because of conflicting stories from Jonathan's family. His mother, Angela Davis, who once struggled with drug addiction, first told police the boy was left in the care of her roommate, when he actually was home alone.

On Dec. 14, some 10 days before Jonathan disappeared, Davis and her son moved out of the Villa Nueva apartment complex on Oak Street where they had shared a home with David Davis, her husband and Jonathan's stepfather.

Davis said her husband had hit the boy. With Jonathan in tow, she moved to a dumpy duplex next door with her friend Sharon Ennamorato, whom Jonathan called "Aunt Sharon."

According to interviews, David Davis dropped by the apartment at 1:45 p.m. Christmas Eve to check on the boy and found him playing games on the computer.

Enter Mona Nelson, who allegedly came to the house some time later looking for Ennamorato. Instead, she found Jonathan, who called his mom at work, supposedly at Nelson's behest, and talked to a co-worker, saying he needed to get "Aunt Sharon's" phone number.

Angela Davis called her son back moments later. A "raspy-voiced woman" answered. Davis told the woman she was Jonathan's mother, and the woman asked Jonathan: "Is Angela your mother?"

"Yes ma'am, Angela's my mother," he reportedly said.

The phone went dead.

And Jonathan was gone.

Since the killing, Ennamorato has been evicted from the duplex she shared with Angela Davis and Jonathan. She appears to be the only person who connected Nelson to Jonathan and his mother and stepfather, police say.

Police believe Nelson knew Ennamorato well before Jonathan and his mother arrived on Ennamorato's doorstep. Ennamorato, who had a felony drug record, said she met Nelson when Ennamorato was living in the Tiffany Oaks Apartments on Oak Street, where Nelson worked in maintenance.

Angela Davis says she never met Nelson until she showed up at the duplex about 7 p.m. Christmas Eve - an hour or so after she was captured on video dumping the body. Nelson reportedly offered to look for Jonathan, saying she had stopped by earlier in the day, before he disappeared, looking for Ennamorato. She said he answered the door shirtless, and she suspected someone else was in the house.

Started on good path
Mona Yvette Nelson was the ninth child, the youngest, born to Mary Preston, a longtime elementary school teacher in Houston's Third Ward. The man Nelson called her father, mortician James Russo, never married her mother. Though Preston said Russo was part of Nelson's life, Russo's grown children said they never heard of Nelson until a year and a half ago, when she turned up at the family's mortuary claiming to be kin.

Nelson started out on a good path, Preston said. She was a tomboy who loved sports and volunteered at the MLK Community Center as a teenager. At 15, she met her future husband, Mike Nelson, a construction worker. At age 16, Nelson was a pregnant high school dropout. Two months after they married in 1983, she had twins, a boy and a girl, born three months early.

By the time Nelson was 19, she was in serious trouble. She was arrested in the aggravated robbery of a barbecue restaurant. She told police a man forced her to do it, that she feared he was going to hurt her if she didn't. Nelson pleaded no contest in 1985 and was given 10 years of deferred adjudication, which would revert to prison time if she committed another crime.

"Oh, my God, that almost killed me," Preston said of her daughter's arrest.

But Nelson was just getting started.

Some time in the ring
Four years later, in 1989, she was caught by federal officials driving Mexican nationals through the Sarita, Texas, checkpoint, for $600 per person. Her federal arrest resulted in her return to prison because of her robbery case.

For the next 20 years, Nelson would be arrested in nearly a dozen more minor incidents ranging from criminal mischief and theft by check to operating a stolen vehicle and marijuana possession.

Nelson divorced, and her children lived with their father. She began a relationship with another woman, Danita Morris, and they lived together as a couple for about 10 years, raising Morris' young children in East Texas.

Nelson was arrested in 2001, accused of assaulting Morris and three neighborhood children she was baby-sitting, but Morris dropped the charges.

"She's always been there for me and my kids no matter what," said Morris. "She's not what they're claiming her to be."

At nearly 5-foot-11, weighing more than 225 pounds and with crewcut hair, Nelson is an imposing figure who failed on the women's boxing circuit. After winning her debut bout in Syracuse, N.Y., in 1997, she went on to lose three more matches in 2003, 2004 and 2006. According to her Texas boxing license, which expired last year, she chose the nickname "Iron Fist."

Nelson's daughter, Ava Nelson, declined to press charges against her mother after Mount Pleasant police found her with a blackened eye and a bloody face in 2008.

"It was a misunderstanding," Ava Nelson said this week, adding that despite her mother's faults, she is a good person.

"This is the lady who helped me raise my kids."

For the past year, Nelson had worked as a handyman for a management company that took care of odd jobs at various apartment complexes, including the Tiffany Oaks Apartments, just across the street from the duplex where Jonathan and his mom lived with Ennamorato.

Nelson was paid by the job but was on call around the clock. Also a welder, she collected scrap metal at the various apartment properties and was allowed to keep half of what she could get for it.

About three months ago, Nelson moved into a garage apartment near the Hardy Toll Road, about 10 minutes from the ditch where Jonathan's body was found. Still, she hung out on Oak Street when she didn't have a job to do.

Alibi offered, but . . .
Maintenance worker Frank Nickles, 47, said on Christmas Eve he was hanging out with Nelson, drinking beer outside his Tiffany Oaks apartment from about 10:30 a.m to 2:30 p.m. - and she didn't leave during that time. But that conflicts with what witnesses told police.

Except for Nelson, "everyone else in the case is accounted for," said HPD's Miller.

Early reports cast suspicion on Jonathan's stepfather, but he is captured on security video at a nearby bar, the Catty Corner Ice House on Wakefield. "His time is accounted for," Miller said.

At the time of Nelson's arrest, Quanell X, an advocate for people accused of crimes, asserted that Nelson was innocent of the crime, and a drug debt was at the heart of the boy's disappearance and killing.

Miller scoffed at the suggestion: "We don't have any evidence of that at all. I've never had a case where an individual who owed up money had their child killed. That's a fantasy."

Police said a "wealth of evidence" shows Jonathan was burned at Nelson's apartment.

They reported finding burned carpet and twine like the kind used to tie Jonathan's hands at Nelson's apartment, along with welding equipment they believe she used to burn the body postmortem.

A skilled welder, Nelson owned torches, but nothing inside her apartment was burned, her landlord, Gary Arnold said, noting that it had tile floors.

On whether Nelson has given them the name of an accomplice, Spence added, "We're not saying."

The day after she interred her son's ashes, Davis called Jonathan's accused killer "cold."

"God will punish her," she said.

Surprisingly, Davis also offered her absolution.

"I forgive her," she said, explaining that she could afford to because Jonathan is now free from harm. "My son's safe. He's not hurting."

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:50 am

Thanks for posting this, BJ! It is interesting to learn more about Mona Nelson & how she came to be in this situation. It sounds like she has had a troubled life for some time, and yet what would cause her to kill an innocent boy is a mystery! It is all so sad & disturbing. crying over reaction

I do admire Jonathan's mother for her attitude & words of forgiveness towards Mona. It must be so difficult for her to do, and yet so freeing at the same time. May God bless her (Jonathan's mom), and continue to bring healing to her soul.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Mona Nelson charged with capital murder after murdering 12 yr missing Jonathan Foster in Houston w/a blow torch. She will now spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility of parole! - Page 4 Empty HPD honored for missing child case

Post by Nama Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:30 am

The Houston Police Department is being honored for its work in the Jonathan Foster case.
At this afternoon's city council meeting, Texas EquuSearch gave HPD plaques of appreciation for their hard work and dedication to the case.
Nelson is scheduled to be in court later this week.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:26 am

I was trying to find some updates on this case, but can't find anything. Anybody know anything about when the trial will be, etc.?
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:36 am

I have a google alert for Jonathon Foster and haven't received anything.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heike Sun May 22, 2011 4:27 pm

It is unreal to me that there are no updates on poor Jonathon's case! Bless his soul!

xoxo
Heike
Heike
Heike

Back to top Go down

Post by le Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't have the link handy but according to court documents she was scheduled to be in court this pastWednesday ... not sure for what. Because no one is saying much, I'm sure the Judge has issued a gag order.

I am acquainted with Ms Nelson, she worked for me for about 6 months in late 2005 early 2006 and actually stayed at my home for a few weeks. At that time my son was 14 and my daughter was 12 they are still with me. Does she love kids ... yes but she seemed to to have less patience with pre to early pubescent males. Do I think she's capable of this .... possibly, she's a hard drinker prone to black-outs with anger issues.

le

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:52 pm

welcome2 to VH, le...Please keep us updated on this case if you hear anything...
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:25 pm

le thank you for the post. Welcome to VH. We would love for you to help us stay updated on this case.
Wow on the drinking and a bad temper. The videos and photos I have seen of Mona have the appearance of a Woman with a mood disorder. Probably fueled by drinking as a way to self medicate. Was she also a lesbian?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by le Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:03 am

Yes with a preference for white or Hispanic women.... Court records did indicate that a psychiatric evaluation was ordered last month as well as a medical one. I'll try to find that link again next week and see what the outcome of Wednesday's appearance was.

Last edited by le on Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total

le

Back to top Go down

Post by le Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:37 am

It's hard for me to fathom any of this .... while she worked for the company my husband and I owned, she was a hard working, fun and funny person. Reminded me of Larry the Cable Guy. If she did do this, I feel blessed that my son didn't suffer the same fate as he was roughly the same age at the time. I see a number of possible scenarios but am reluctant to speculate publicly.

le

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 am

I understand not wanting to publicly give any scenarios. I had to go back and read about the case against Mona. If I had done that to begin with some of my questions would have been answered. It sounds like the State has a solid case against her. She had a violent history. le I bet this case has affected you since you knew Mona. I think the answers you seek will be known in time. Check this out.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by le Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:18 pm

Next court date 8/23/2011

here's the link:

le

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 pm

le, Welcome to VH!! Please DO keep us apprised on this case.

Drinking and anger. One goes w/the other, although her sexual preference is a non-issue, I would think. I know you were asked that question and were only responding to it.

And, many alcoholics have lots of potential and a wonderful sense of humor.

One has to wonder: WHY would she kill this child? What was her motive?
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by le Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:21 am

I agree wholeheartedly that her sexual preference is a non-issue, unfortunately it provides fodder for all the bigots and homophobes out there. As for motive, I wonder if there is or was one.

I know she loves kids, my daughter called her "my buddy" she did seem to have a problem with males in general challenging her knowledge or authority. By the same token I had the occasion to witness her mentoring at risk teenagers. She talked my husband into hiring and training one such young man.

le

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks, le. We will keep an eye on the latest development.

I think she w/be found guilty of murder.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Was she or was she not a "family friend" as the title of this thread states? I heard the stepfather say that he barely knew her, but IDK...Anybody know?
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by phxxtc Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:01 pm

actually she was a friend of Sharon the roomate, but partied with the mother and stepfather on occasion. I can't believe she did this. She just tried to get back in touch with me on Thanksgiving and then kills a little kid on Christmas eve.

phxxtc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next