Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson, in Waxhaw

+4
Praying For Faith
CritterFan1
Wrapitup
Nama
8 posters

Go down

Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson,  in Waxhaw   Empty Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson, in Waxhaw

Post by Nama Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson,  in Waxhaw   Girlembeddedprod_affiliate138

A 5-year old girl was killed by two pit bulls who attacked her near her grandmother's house in Waxhaw Wednesday morning.

The child's grandmother was injured trying to get the dogs off the girl and taken to Carolinas Medical Center-Union.

Police identified the girl as Makayla Woodard. Her grandmother, Nancy Presson, 67, was expected to survive, but had bite wounds on her shoulders and arms.

One dog was shot and killed by officers who responded during the attack on Rehobeth Road. The other dog escaped, but was tracked down and shot by officers about two hours later, said Waxhaw Police Chief Michael Eiss.

NewsChannel 36, the Observer's news partner, reported that the girl had several bite marks around her neck.

Residents in the neighborhood along Rehobeth Avenue near the Captain's Galley restaurant were on edge for two hours as officers tried to locate the second dog.

Police said the dogs belonged to someone in the neighborhood and wandered into the victims' yard. It was not immediately known how the dogs got loose.

Eiss said no one had been charged in connection with the attack Wednesday afternoon.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by BJ♥OR on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson,  in Waxhaw   Empty Re: Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson, in Waxhaw

Post by Nama Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:36 pm

Two pit bulls attacked and killed a young girl and severely injured her grandmother in Union County Wednesday morning.

According to the Waxhaw Police Department, five-year-old Mckayla Woodard and her grandmother, 67-year-old Nancy Presson, were attacked by the dogs just after 11 a.m. at 325 Rehobeth Road behind the Captain's Galley seafood restaurant.

Presson was hurt while trying to get the dogs off Mckayla, police said.

Mckayla and Presson were transported to Carolinas Medical Center-Union in Monroe where the girl died a short time later from her injuries.

Presson was under sedation and listed in stable condition in the hospital's emergency department as of Wednesday at 4 p.m.

Amy Plyer, who is a family member, told WBTV Reporter Sharon Smith the girl was attacked while trying to get into a fenced-in yard adjacent to her home.

Mckayla was mauled by a pit bull named Rebel which Plyer said "tended to wander the street."

"I don't know if Mckayla even saw them coming," she said.

Investigators said Rebel was immediately killed by authorities. The other dog was on the loose for a short time, but was later fatally shot by authorities.

Both dogs were owned by neighbor Michael Gordon. WBTV has learned that Waxhaw police went to Gordon's house last month and warned him about restraining his dogs.

A man who lives nearby on Sweetbay Court told WBTV he heard a woman's scream around 11:10 a.m.

Scott Bland was in his driveway trying to clear snow and ice so he could go to work.

"She was screaming non-stop, she would catch her breath--there were no words, just screams," said Bland who called 911. "It was like a horror film, just high-pitch squeals, a woman's voice, the screaming just got worse."

Bland says when he spoke with a 911 operator, they had already received other calls concerning the attack.

"It was a little bit unnerving to know the pit bull dogs were running around the neighborhood," Bland said. "This is a perfect example of why people should not allow these dogs to run loose."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson,  in Waxhaw   Empty Re: Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson, in Waxhaw

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:48 pm

OMG, This is where Critter is from!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Yes, it is horrible. We know the family, the people involved are all related.. Net full of other facts, going to try and copy and paste.having a hard time with this little netbook, copying and pasting. So sad, of course every tv station within 50 miles was there.
People need to hear these horrible stories to realize their dogs needs to be socialized and not thrown outside on a chain.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:26 pm

By Cleve R. Wootson Jr. - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

WAXHAW -- A 5-year old girl was killed by two pit bulls who attacked her near her grandmother's house in Waxhaw Wednesday morning.

The child's grandmother was injured trying to get the dogs off the girl and taken to Carolinas Medical Center-Union.

Police identified the girl as Makayla Woodard. Her grandmother, Nancy Presson, 67, was expected to survive, but had bite wounds on her shoulders and arms.

One dog was shot and killed by officers who responded during the attack on Rehobeth Road. The other dog escaped, but was tracked down and shot by officers about two hours later, said Waxhaw Police Chief Michael Eiss.

NewsChannel 36, the Observer's news partner, reported that the girl had several bite marks around her neck.

Residents in the neighborhood along Rehobeth Avenue near the Captain's Galley restaurant were on edge for two hours as officers tried to locate the second dog.

Police said the dogs belonged to someone in the neighborhood and wandered into the victims' yard. It was not immediately known how the dogs got loose.

Eiss said no one had been charged in connection with the attack Wednesday afternoon.

CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:27 am

POSTED: Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2011
5-year-old North Carolina girl mauled to death by 2 pit bulls
By CLEVE R. WOOTSON JR. AND MEGHAN COOKE - McClatchy Newspapers

WAXHAW, N.C. A kindergartner at home on a day off from school Wednesday was mauled to death by two pit bulls who had prompted calls to police before, authorities said.

Makayla Woodard, a 5-year-old who attended Waxhaw Elementary School, died on the way to the hospital of injuries police officers described as "gruesome."

Her grandmother, 67-year-old Nancy Presson, tried to save Makayla, but the dogs turned on her in an attack that rattled the neighborhood and will likely bring charges against the dogs' owner. Presson had bites and scratches on her shoulder and arm, but was expected to survive.

A police officer who responded and arrived during the attack, pulled the dogs off Makayla and her grandmother and began treating the girl's wounds. The officer then shot one of the dogs as it charged toward the girl again. The second dog got away and was loose for two hours before police were able to shoot and kill it too.

It was the second high-profile pit bull attack in the Charlotte area in less than a month. On Dec. 22, a 6-year-old boy was attacked by his cousin's pit bull in Mint Hill. The boy survived but was seriously injured. His grandmother, who rushed to help the boy, was also injured.

The owner of the pit bulls involved in Monday's attack, who lives next door to Presson, has not been charged with a crime, though Waxhaw Police Chief Michael Eiss said charges are likely later this week. He would not release the owner's name because no charges had been filed.

Eiss said the attack happened around 11 a.m. EST in the dog owner's backyard. No one answered the door at the home where the pit bulls lived Wednesday afternoon. A woman who answered the phone at the house said the family had no comment.

Makayla was at home because the Union County Schools were closed due to icy roads.

Her cousin, Amy Plyler, told Charlotte Observer news partner WCNC-TV that the girl was on her way to play with her own dogs in the yard when she was attacked.

"She was crossing the yard to get in the pen ... and the dog got her," Plyler said.

"She was a really good kid. She was just a miracle," Plyler said in tears. "She was so smart, and she was loved very much."

Eiss said he wasn't sure whether the dogs - both full-sized pit bulls - were loose or had broken free of their chains.

Neighbors said the dogs had gotten away at least once before. Eiss said his officers had received calls about the dogs roaming the neighborhood and warned their owner just before Christmas to contain them.

"We told him to keep them locked up," Eiss said. "Apparently he did not."

A neighbor who declined to give her name said she had seen the dogs loose in the neighborhood before and worried about the safety of her own children. One time, she said, the pit bulls stopped in front of her yard and growled.

Wednesday's attack was reminiscent of the 2004 mauling of Roddie Dumas Jr. that led Charlotte leaders to strengthen dog ordinances. Roddie, 8, was mauled to death by his father's four pit bulls while his father was inside the house.

Police charged Roddie Dumas Sr. with involuntary manslaughter, but the charge was later dismissed after prosecutors won convictions for several drug and gun crimes discovered during the investigation. Dumas was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

After Roddie's death, some in the community asked the city to ban pit bulls, but leaders refused and made only minor changes to the city's pet ordinances.

Pit bull advocates said the breed is no more vicious than any other. Owner behavior is more often at fault for a vicious dog, says Sara Enos, founder of the Charlotte-based American Pit Bull Foundation.

"It's not the dog. It really is the owner - how responsible they are with their pet," Enos said.

She said Wednesday's attack likely resulted from human irresponsibility.

"If this dog has an issue of getting out to begin with, that is a huge problem.

* [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:39 am

My prayers go out to the family of this little girl - what a tragedy! crying

I'm sorry to those people who love pit bulls, but I really dislike those dogs!! I have heard one too many horror stories about them. All I know is that if someone is crazy enough to own one of these killer dogs, they need to keep them properly locked up at all times. If they take them out of the yard, they need to be on leashes & muzzled. When my son was younger, I was very protective of him around dogs, esp. pit bulls!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:56 am

Rainbow,

I am like you. I do not like Pit Bulls and some of the other big dogs. They scare me. When my boys were little, the neighbors had 2 very mean dogs, and I don't know what kind, they were not P.B.'s though. I could not even let my kids in our own backyard to play. I ended up being bit on the back of my leg around the ankle area. My neighbor just stood there and watched and said nothing. They would let them out to run at night and I think they still do with the dogs they now have. Neighbors complained and complained. She ended up having to go to court about her dogs.

I do not trust Pit Bulls at all and I have read articles when they do turn on their owners also. So I don't believe all of that article.

My prayers go out to this family also. I cannot imagine what the little girl went through and the grandmother. How horrifying

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:15 am

Alexis Flores
Police Promise Full Investigation After Deadly Pit Bull Attack On 5-Year-Old Girl

Posted: 9:48 pm EST January 12, 2011Updated: 11:03 pm EST January 12, 2011
WAXHAW, N.C. -- Investigators said they contacted the district attorney's office Wednesday after a 5-year-old girl died when she was attacked by a neighbor's pit bulls.

Waxhaw Police Chief Michael Eiss did not reveal what charges, if any, might be filed but said "we've contacted the D.A.'s office and we're going to investigate this."

Makayla Woodard died from severe injuries suffered in the attack on Rehobeth Road on Wednesday morning, police said.

The child's grandmother, Nancy Presson, was injured while trying to pull the two dogs off Makayla and was in serious condition Wednesday night, according to investigators.

Police killed both dogs. The scene brought Eiss to the verge of tears.

"Obviously when it's a child, it becomes more emotional and more tragic," Eiss said.

The dogs' owner lives next door to Presson but was not home at the time of the attack, police said.

"When we got there, they (the dogs) were loose," Eiss said. "The owner made the comment that they were chained. We don't know. It's still under investigation right now."

Police said an officer went to the owner's home in December and warned him about Waxhaw's leash law after the dogs were discovered loose at that time.

The city is in the process of adding an animal control officer to enforce town ordinances such as the leash law and a vicious dog ordinance.

Waxhaw Town Manager Michael McLaurin said the town has "a higher level of service need" than is provided by Union County Animal Control.

Police Promise Full Investigation After Deadly Pit Bull Attack On 5-Year-Old Girl Dies After Pit Bull Attack

CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:31 pm

CritterFan1 wrote:"When we got there, they (the dogs) were loose," Eiss said. "The owner made the comment that they were chained. We don't know. It's still under investigation right now."Police said an officer went to the owner's home in December and warned him about Waxhaw's leash law after the dogs were discovered loose at that time.

That doesn't even make sense! How could they have been chained & attack a little girl in her yard?!? Give me a break!! la la la

It sounds like this owner has been irresponsible with these dogs in the past, as well. I hope he is receives the strictest penalty possible (can they hold pet owners responsible for murder?), and is banned from ever owning a pit bull again!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by RileysMom Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:18 am

I have always been scared of those dogs .I know people always say it's the owner not the dog but i have ones seen a little girl with a poodle outside a store waiting for someone and a young men pass by with a pit bull while i was waiting at a bus stop on the other side and let's just say it was not pretty that dog did not want to let go of that poodle and when they have the jaw locked in there is not a lot you can do anymore ... the poodle died the girl did not get hurt besides the fact that she will never forget what happened of course and the pit bull was killed by the police right there.
Like i say everybody always says its the owner not the dog but it also seems that when ever something like that happens it's a pit bull I don't think I have ever heard a German Shepard a Husky or a Golden Retriever doing something like that ..It's sure possible but I haven't read anything like that ever .
And now it's not a dog who lost it's a beautiful little girl who had so much more to look forward to it's such a shame and i feel for her family something like that should never happen !
Im sorry if i offended any pit bull lovers out there it's just my opinion .

RileysMom
RileysMom

http://www.etsy.com/shop/DiaperCakeJungle?ref=si_shop

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:20 pm

This is beyond horrible, that poor little girl and her g'ma!
That owner needs to be prosecuted, he's been warned before and this time a life was taken. Just the fact that he was defending himself saying the dogs were chained tells a lot. They obviously were not chained so he really didn't care one bit that he's been warned before!
I don't know this case but so many people get dogs and just throw them in the back yard to be watch or guard dogs. They get little to no socialization, they become dangerous and then throw in an irresponsible owner and it's like a ticking time bomb.
I've never had a pit, have never met one that I didn't like but I'm a total dog lover so that's probably why. I would not have my grandson around one, wouldn't want to tempt fate but I also would not have him around another dog I don't know to be gentle either.
Pits are usually pretty animal aggressive, they are strong and who knows if the person walking them have enough control over the dog if they do encounter another animal or person.
I've never owned a Pit and won't at this period in my life because I don't think I have what it takes to have that much control over the dog but I also won't have another German Shepherd either, they can be quite a handful too. Pits are strong and they have so much strength in their jaws that's another reason when they bite or attack it is or can be deadly.
I think the answer in this is usually it's the owner but usually they have no common sense (like this case) and it's the child or another animal that pays the price. I have no answer to this problem.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson,  in Waxhaw   Empty Waxhaw has no animal control Fatal mauling prompts town, county to discuss new laws, registration of dangerous breeds.

Post by Nama Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:32 pm

For years, the dog leash law in this small town has gone largely unenforced. Officials halted animal control service because there weren't enough complaints.

But the fatal mauling Wednesday of 5-year-old Makayla Woodard by two loose pit bulls has prompted a push for new restrictions and renewed debate about the dangers posed by pit bulls.

On Friday, a county commissioner said he wants to ban the breed in Union County, saying they are a threat to public safety.

Waxhaw Mayor Daune Gardner said town leaders will meet on Monday to discuss possible new ordinances, including forcing pet owners to register potentially dangerous animals with the police.

"We will be looking at what we can do to make our community safer," Gardner said.

The attack took place in a town 12 miles southeast of Charlotte, where rapid population growth has transformed a formerly rural area with virtually no pet law enforcement into a bedroom suburb.

Waxhaw had agreed before the attack to reinstate animal control service later this year to handle complaints because population has doubled to about 7,000 in the last decade, said Michael McLaurin, town manager.

"We've had a lot of growth, and we've got all of the related issues," McLaurin said.

Makayla, a kindergartner at Waxhaw Elementary School, died Wednesday after the attack, which took place between her home and a neighbor's property where the dogs lived on Rehobeth Road.

Her 67-year-old grandmother, Nancy Presson, told police she let Makayla outside to play in the snow and heard dogs barking. She went outside to find two dogs attacking the girl and flung herself over Makayla's body to try to protect her, according to a police report.

The dogs also attacked Presson, who suffered severe lacerations to her right hand, arm and shoulder, police said.

It remains unclear whether the dogs were left loose Wednesday or got off their chains before the attack.

A floral arrangement of daisies and carnations was outside Makayla's home Friday.

No one answered the door at the dog owner's house Friday afternoon.

Waxhaw Police Chief Michael Eiss told the Observer he expected to file charges soon against the dogs' owner.

Eiss would not divulge any new details about the attack but said the dogs' owner was not at home when it occurred.

Waxhaw's leash law requires that dogs be kept on their owner's property unless they are on a leash. Dogs can roam their owner's property as long as an adult is outside with them and in control of the dogs.

Authorities said neither the Union County Sheriff's animal control division nor Waxhaw police had received complaints about the pit bulls.

But a neighbor who lives across the street said she called animal control on the two dogs about two months ago - not because they had behaved aggressively, she said, but because she feared they were being neglected.

Cyndi McCoy said one of the dogs wandered over to her house in November. She fed the dog because she said it looked malnourished. Then she called 911 and spoke to animal control.

"She looked like a dead dog walking," McCoy said. "She was just pitiful."

She said animal control told her there was nothing it could do. Although Waxhaw has a leash law, Union County does not. County officers cannot enforce town ordinances.

McCoy said one dog was usually chained in her owner's yard, while the other was often left unrestrained but usually stayed in the yard.

She said she never saw either of the dogs behave aggressively in the neighborhood, where dogs often roam. She said neighbors have had issues with dogs chasing children playing along the street.

But she said she fears the two dogs had been abused and that it may have led to Wednesday's attack.

"You put any dog under those circumstances, and they'll snap," she said.

McCoy was home when Makayla was attacked Wednesday.

"I keep hearing those screams," she said. "I can't get that out of my head."

Waxhaw stopped providing animal control service five years ago because there were so few complaints, said McLaurin, the town manager.

According to town ordinances, a first violation of the leash law is $10. Eiss said the amount is not enough of a deterrent. He said hiring an animal control officer would lead to better enforcement.

Now, Waxhaw leaders say they will look at implementing new ordinances.

The death of Makayla puts the issue "on the front burner," said Martin Lane, town commissioner.

Union County Commissioner Jonathan Thomas said he looked into whether the county could ban pit bulls. Thomas said he was told state law would prohibit such a measure but he says it would protect residents.

"You should get rid of all of the pit bulls," Thomas said. "You have to mitigate threats."

The Humane Society of the United States has opposed breed bans, said Kim Alboum, director of the North Carolina branch.

"Breed can't alone predict behavior," she said.

Some Waxhaw leaders indicated they would not support a ban on pit bulls, saying it is too difficult to separate breeds that are dangerous from those that are not.

But Mayor Gardner vowed officials would find out "what we can and cannot do."

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson,  in Waxhaw   Empty Learning More About Makayla

Post by Nama Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Makayla Woodard wanted to be a doctor or nurse when she grew up. She liked singing. Dancing. She even liked dogs. In fact, she lived with one pit bull inside her great grandmother's home and a second pit lived outside.
On Wednesday, the five-year-old was attacked and killed by a neighbor's pit bulls. A person close to the investigation who spoke to FOX Charlotte on the condition of anonymity says the little girl was bitten 200 times. They also say the attack could have been prevented, in part, if Makayla had been better supervised by her great grandmother, Nancy Presson.
"She should have been supervising Makayla. She should not have let her out unsupervised by herself and especially if she knew the pit bulls were next door.”
We're told the Department of Social Services had been notified about supervision and health issues concerning Makayla. The department did not return our calls. FOX Charlotte's Morgan Fogarty asked the person close to the investigation, "Do you feel like DSS failed Makayla? Their reply was, “Yes I do. They were called on the family three or four times."
The neighbor's pit bulls that attacked Makayla were shot at the scene. It still remains to be seen if charges will be filed against the dogs' owner, Michael Gordon.
We spoke with Makayla's mom, but she said she wasn't ready to talk about the attack. Also, we checked and Nancy Presson is no longer in the hospital. The little girl's funeral date has not yet been set.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:39 pm

omg. crying
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:37 pm

BJ♥OR wrote: They also say the attack could have been prevented, in part, if Makayla had been better supervised by her great grandmother, Nancy Presson.
"She should have been supervising Makayla. She should not have let her out unsupervised by herself and especially if she knew the pit bulls were next door.”

So now they are blaming the great grandma?!? Give me a break!!

Last edited by Rainbow on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by janie Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:47 pm

This story made me cry! She was such a beautiful little girl. When I watched the video it made me sick to learn she had been bitten two hundred times!!! I love dogs too but I am afraid of these dogs and wouldn't want any pit bulls living close to me and my two small dogs. Welcome to VH RileysMom! I agree with everything you said too.
janie
janie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 am

RileysMom wrote:I have always been scared of those dogs .I know people always say it's the owner not the dog but i have ones seen a little girl with a poodle outside a store waiting for someone and a young men pass by with a pit bull while i was waiting at a bus stop on the other side and let's just say it was not pretty that dog did not want to let go of that poodle and when they have the jaw locked in there is not a lot you can do anymore ... the poodle died the girl did not get hurt besides the fact that she will never forget what happened of course and the pit bull was killed by the police right there.
Like i say everybody always says its the owner not the dog but it also seems that when ever something like that happens it's a pit bull I don't think I have ever heard a German Shepard a Husky or a Golden Retriever doing something like that ..It's sure possible but I haven't read anything like that ever .
And now it's not a dog who lost it's a beautiful little girl who had so much more to look forward to it's such a shame and i feel for her family something like that should never happen !
Im sorry if i offended any pit bull lovers out there it's just my opinion .

Welcome to VH, Riley'sMom!! I agree with what you wrote as well. I think it is probably a combination of the breed of dog and the owner. People have to realize that owning a pit bull is like owning a loaded gun - you never know when it will "go off"! And, as we have seen, the results are often deadly.

Janie, that is the cutest dog on your avatar - what is the breed? I couldn't help but think that I would hate to see it meet up with a pit bull! 🇳🇴
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by janie Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:03 am

Thank you Rainbow! I have two sweet dogs named Sugar and Spice they are Cockapoos. It's a cross between Cocker Spaniel and a Miniature Poodle. They are great with children too.
janie
janie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:44 pm

such a horrible crime a poor little girl lost her life due to a irresponsable dog owner......it is the dog and the owner at fault, if you have a mean dog and may I say any breed can be mean ( maybe a little dog wont kill you but can surely cause pain and fear) it is up to the owner to have control of the dog at all times as a breeder and trainer I see so many animals go bad due to bad breeding to bad training and as far as Iam concerned the owner should be responsable 100 % I do search and rescue and own three German Shepherds do I trust them a 100 % no.............they are a animal and no animal can be trusted a 100 % so as a responseable owner I wactch them and keep them in a chainlink fence where they are confined safely and if my grandchildren are around or if Iam out in the public at schools or any functions with them My dogs love children and other animals but I can not read there minds and know what they are going to do I try to educate people on how immportant it is to have a watchful eye at all times with any dog ~horse ~sheep Goat~ ect they can be unpredictable my thoughts and prayers are with this family we can not bring this little angel back but we can beg people to please doo not keep an animal that you can not control
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:51 pm

by janie Today at 10:03 am Thank you Rainbow! I have two sweet dogs named Sugar and Spice they are Cockapoos.
Our Cockapoo, Scruffy, was part of our family for 14 years and we called him 'that little man in the doggie suit'. I swear he was part human.....so darn smart!
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:03 pm

I can totally see why Social Services/DSS has been out to Nancy Presson's house repeatedly. Makala lives 1/8 of a mile to a busy intersection(for the country). Railroad tracks right there.
Her house's street gets a lot of traffic. She was reported to have been alone numerous times in the front yard!!!.
The family built her a little fence, all of her own. She had little food table, plastic picnic table...little girl things. IMO, her grandparents got the message to a certain extent or else they would not have built the little fence. There are 5 houses from the intersection to her house. All 5 houses are filled with relatives.
Little Makayla was walking behind her grandmother's house, how many of us have let a 5 yr old play in the back yard?
There is a new neighborhood behind these 5 houses, on a cul de sac, cannot see the houses at all, for the trees. The dogs came from there, not on Makayla's street.
In defense of the grandmother, not sure the particular's...she also has a severely handicapped grandson, breathing tube, special wheelchair designed to hold his head up. Ambulance's there all the time, the young boy is always in the hospital, or home needing 24 hr help. I just feel this grandmother is overwhelmed. Her life will never be the same.
Poor Makayla, I shudder to think how horrible her death had to be. 200 bites. 200. Dog bites are painful, but to be pulled around like a rag doll, it is enough to keep you awake at night.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:30 pm

My heart hurts for little Makayla!! crying
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:21 am

newsobserver.com
Charlotte Observer news

Modified Wed, Jan 26, 2011 10:06 PM

Makayla Woodard

By Meghan Cooke - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The owner of two pit bulls that killed a 5-year-old Waxhaw girl was charged Wednesday with involuntary manslaughter, after police said his dogs mauled the girl as her great-grandmother tried to fight them off.

Michael Brandon Gordon, 23, is charged in connection with the death of his next-door neighbor Makayla Woodard.

Gordon wasn’t home at the time of the attack two weeks ago, Waxhaw police said. They declined to describe what role his actions may have played in the girl’s death.

Makayla was in her own yard on Rehobeth Road, police said Wednesday, when the dogs attacked and dragged her into a neighboring yard.

Her great-grandmother, 67-year-old Nancy Presson, tried to save Makayla by flinging herself over the girl. But the dogs attacked her, too, police said, biting her hand, arm and shoulder.

The police officer who responded arrived during the attack and pulled the dogs off Makayla and her great-grandmother. He shot one of the dogs as it circled the girl, police said. The other dog got away, but authorities found and killed it two hours later.

Makayla died on the way to the hospital.

Presson, who police initially identified as Makayla's grandmother, was hospitalized for her injuries and later released. She couldn’t be reached Wednesday, but her attorney said while the family had hoped for a more serious charge, they are satisfied that he has been charged with a crime.

“For them, the biggest thing is that he be held accountable for her death,” said Charlotte attorney Amanda Mingo.

Neighbors told the Observer Gordon’s dogs sometimes roamed the neighborhood. Cyndi McCoy, who lives across the street, said she never saw the dogs behave aggressively but worried they were hungry and might have been mistreated.

“You put any dog under those circumstances, and they’ll snap,” she told the Observer two weeks ago.

Police won’t say whether the dogs were left free outside, broke their chains, or somehow got out of the house Gordon shares with relatives.

Gordon was released from prison in May 2010 after serving nearly eight months for felony breaking-and-entering charges filed in Union County.

He has been arrested more than a dozen times since 2005 on charges ranging from reckless driving to assault, primarily in Union. Although many charges were dismissed, his convictions include resisting a public officer, assault and battery, possession of drug paraphernalia, driving after consuming alcohol while underage, and shoplifting.

Gordon was released from the Union County jail Wednesday afternoon after posting $20,000 bond.

The Waxhaw Elementary School student’s death prompted a push from town officials to strengthen animal control ordinances. Some called for regulations to ban pit bulls.

The Waxhaw Board of Commissioners voted last week to study how to deal with stray or potentially dangerous dogs.

The town’s leash law has gone largely unenforced because the town had no animal control officer. An officer, who was in training before the Jan. 12 attack, is expected to go on duty within the next two months.

Staff researcher Maria David contributed.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 am

I am really glad this guy is being charged. It looks like he is familiar with the Union County jail.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:54 am

I agree

Although, I can't believe he is already out of jail! I hope that LE puts some strict conditions on him - esp. with regards to owning any more pit bulls!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson,  in Waxhaw   528-girl.embedded.prod_affiliate.156
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Critter, is there a picture of this man who owned the dogs? I looked for a mug shot but had no success.
I agree, this guy needs to have strict observation while he's out on bond and especially anything to do with dogs. What a creep.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Michael Gordon, owner of pit bulls that attacked and killed Makayla Woodard, attacks reporters at the Union County Courthouse on Thursday, in court!! This was reported in the Union County paper on Thursday. This guy seems to have flipped out, totally. A photographer tried to take his picture and Gordon lost it, attacking the man. I am looking for a link. Everyone in Waxhaw is talking about Gordon and his violent temper.
This incident will really help his case....NOT!
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Raine, I have seen his mug shot, possibly on the local TV news. Will see if I can find it and will post it.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:09 pm

A man that lives in a nice neighborhood behind Gordon's house has said that he has never heard screams before, like the horrible screams of Makayla and her grandmother, Nancy Presson. Makayla never saw the attack coming as she was going into her own fenced yard. I know Nancy Presson, a nicer lady you will ever meet. Her brother told me that she is haunted by the attack and having a really bad time trying to deal with the tragedy, nightmares, and the viciousness of the two pit bulls. It is so sad. Every time you drive by her house family and friends from all over the country are there to support Presson and her family. Such a tragedy.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm glad that Makaya never saw the attack coming and I just pray to God that she never realized what happened. That poor child. That poor Grandmother and the neighbor who is having nightmares and any of the others who will probably continue to relive this the rest of their lives.
That idiot man who owned the dogs sounds like a real looser, no wonder he had killer dogs.
I never saw your posts yesterday Critter because I stuck myself on another thread but today I'm going to try to get back to normal and read all threads.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:34 pm

Rainbow wrote:
CritterFan1 wrote:"When we got there, they (the dogs) were loose," Eiss said. "The owner made the comment that they were chained. We don't know. It's still under investigation right now."Police said an officer went to the owner's home in December and warned him about Waxhaw's leash law after the dogs were discovered loose at that time.

That doesn't even make sense! How could they have been chained & attack a little girl in her yard?!? Give me a break!! la la la

It sounds like this owner has been irresponsible with these dogs in the past, as well. I hope he is receives the strictest penalty possible (can they hold pet owners responsible for murder?), and is banned from ever owning a pit bull again!!
Rainbow, It is a typical redneck mentality you see some, around this county. The dog that started the attack was on a chain. A long, long, thick chain....to PROTECT????? I think they walked behind the doghouse like they had done a thousand times, on the way to play with Maklyah's in a large fenced area. In the fenced area are toys and swings, along w/the family dog. This is a busy road, the grandmother put up this fenced area on a large side of the back yard. Does that make sense?? My head is still spinning from all of the initials that I have been seeing around here. I thought BBM was "big..big..movement. We need an index card with the codes.:):)
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Rainbow wrote:

CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Me too, raine, I am trying to catch up, too. A lot going on. Whew. Off topic, I am sorry!!!
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Rainbow wrote:
CritterFan1 wrote: My head is still spinning from all of the initials that I have been seeing around here. I thought BBM was "big..big..movement. We need an index card with the codes.:):)

ROFLMAO
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Pit bulls kill 5-year-old girl, Makayla Woodard and attacks grandmother, Nancy Presson,  in Waxhaw   Empty UPDATE: Michael Brandon Gordon Guilty and Sentenced to 20 to 24 Months In Prison

Post by NiteSpinR Wed May 22, 2013 4:38 pm

May 29, 2012

Michael Brandon Gordon was found guilty Tuesday of involuntary manslaughter after his pit bulls attacked and killed a 5-year-old girl last year.

The incident took place on January 12, 2011 in Mikayla Woodard’s grandmother’s yard just off Rehobeth Road in Waxhaw. The dogs jumped a fence and bit the 5-year-old in the neck. According to Makayla’s family, the dogs bit the young girl more than 200 times.

The two dogs were owned by Gordon, who was sentenced to 20 to 24 months in prison on Tuesday. Gordon entered a guilty plea during the middle of his trial's jury selection last week.

Investigators said Gordon was more worried about his pit bull than the little girl when it happened.

Woodard's family received a $20,000 wrongful death settlement in court this past February.

Neighbors had complained many times about the two dogs roaming free and believed the tragedy could have been avoided. Woodard's grandmother was injured in the incident as well.

“The loss of Makayla Woodard is an unspeakable tragedy, and it is my hope that this case can be a reminder to our community to act responsibly and not act in a manner which puts our neighbors in danger,” said District Attorney Trey Robison.

NiteSpinR
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed May 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Thank you for this update!!!!!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down