Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Police: Baby Drowns While Mom Playing Game on Facebook

+2
raine1953
mommyof3kids
6 posters

Go down

Police: Baby Drowns While Mom Playing Game on Facebook Empty Police: Baby Drowns While Mom Playing Game on Facebook

Post by mommyof3kids Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:16 pm

FORT LUPTON, Colo. -- The mother of a 13-month-old boy who drowned in a bathtub told police she was on Facebook in another room when her son died.

Shannon Johnson of Fort Lupton is due in court today on charges of child abuse resulting in death.

According to an arrest affidavit, Johnson's son died on Sept. 20 after she left him alone in the bathroom for a few minutes.

She told police she was playing a game called 'Café World' while her son was in the tub.

According to the affidavit, when police got to her home, Facebook was still up on her laptop.

Johnson told officers Joseph was playing in the tub for 10 minutes and she had checked on him once.

When three minutes passed without the sound of him playing, she went to check on him and found him on his side with his face in the water.

He was flown to The Children's Hospital in Aurora where he died.

Court documents indicate Joseph had been treated for a seizure about a month before his death.

She is being held at the Weld County Jail on a $100,000 bond.http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-facebook-drowning-boy,0,2151588.story

Last edited by mommyof3kids on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Police: Baby Drowns While Mom Playing Game on Facebook Empty Re: Police: Baby Drowns While Mom Playing Game on Facebook

Post by mommyof3kids Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 pm

WTF Is wrong with these Mother's who think Gaming on FB is more important then watching their kids??
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Police: Baby Drowns While Mom Playing Game on Facebook Empty Re: Police: Baby Drowns While Mom Playing Game on Facebook

Post by raine1953 Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:28 pm

And especially when the child had previously been treated for a seizure!!!!
I cannot imagine leaving a 13 month old child alone in a bathtub, especially being in another room!
This is completely inexcusable.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Completely agree with you Rain1953! This reminds me of the Jacksonville FL. Young Mom that actually killed her own baby because it was interrupting her FB time.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just sick and wrong! Some people should NOT be parents as we all know from what we read TOO OFTEN!!
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:03 am

That is CRAZY!! I must admit that I play some of those FB games too, but ONLY after my son is asleep. He is older too (11), so he is more independent. However, these games can be addictive. It's important to stop & think - What is more important: a stupid computer game or a precious child?!? I think we all know the answer to that one! over reaction
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:04 am

Police: Baby Drowns While Mom Playing Game on Facebook S-shan10

Shannon Johnson
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:47 am

That's all it takes is 3 min.; probably less than that and your baby can drown or swallow something.

My son and DIL think I am over protective. Maybe I am, but so be it.

What a horrible, horrible situation...and for FB??????
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 am

I don't believe that someone could be so stupid. Just how long does it take to bath a baby.

Wrap, I agree with you, I was very overprotective also. This is just such a shame. Get on FB when your baby is sleeping and nothing else. I just don't believe it. crazy3 🇳🇴 Whip crying

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by janie Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:11 pm

mommyof3kids wrote: WTF Is wrong with these Mother's who think Gaming on FB is more important then watching their kids??
I agree mommy it's good to see you again!! I've missed you!!!
janie
janie

Back to top Go down

Police: Baby Drowns While Mom Playing Game on Facebook Empty UPDATE: Shannon Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison After Pleading Guilty To Negligent Child Abuse

Post by NiteSpinR Mon May 20, 2013 2:21 pm

A northern Colorado woman who was playing a game on Facebook while her 13-month-old baby drowned in a bathtub was sentenced Friday to 10 years in prison.

Shannon Johnson, 34, of Fort Lupton was also sentenced to five years of mandatory parole following her prison term.

The Greeley Tribune reported that Johnson cried as District Judge Thomas Quammen told her he didn't think she was a bad person or that she killed her son on purpose. That doesn't mean what she did wasn't criminal, he added.

Johnson was charged with child abuse that knowingly or recklessly caused death. She pleaded guilty to negligent child abuse in March.

The charges made her eligible for community corrections or probation, but authorities rejected both, saying they didn't want to play down the seriousness of her crime.

Johnson said she found her son, Joseph, sideways and face-down in a bathtub last September. She told investigators she had been playing the game Cafe World and sharing videos on Facebook in another room while her son was alone in a bathtub full of water.

Johnson called 911 to say Joseph wasn't breathing. Paramedics were able to revive the toddler but he was pronounced dead at a Denver hospital.

Johnson said her son was independent and wanted to be alone in the tub.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
NiteSpinR
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down