Hailey Dunn Isn't Only Missing Person: The Cold Case Of Loy Cosby

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Hailey Dunn Isn't Only Missing Person: The Cold Case Of Loy Cosby

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:54 am

By Mari Cockerell, KTXS News
POSTED: 7:59 am CST February 14, 2011
UPDATED: 8:55 am CST February 14, 2011

SWEETWATER, Texas -- Colorado City teenager Hailey Dunn has been missing since Dec. 27 – but she is not the only person still missing in the Big Country.

Another Big Country resident, 87-year-old Loy Cosby, has been missing for almost 13 years.

Early on the morning of June 2, 1998, Nolan County authorities were called out to Lake Sweetwater for the report of missing Cosby.

His wife got up around 6 a.m. that day to find he had left the house. Cosby suffered from dementia. He was last seen just north of the lake dam and recreational area.

Dozens of volunteers came out to look for Cosby, handing out flyers and helping anyway possible. Hundreds of tips were called in.

Nolan County Sheriff David Warren was chief deputy in 1998 and worked the Cosby case.

"It's just so disturbing to know that somebody may have gotten into a car and made it halfway across the country and something happened to him or something. We just don't know," Warren said.

Warren said he's never forgotten the Cosby case. Nolan County sent Cosby's DNA to the Texas Department of Public Safety's Missing Persons Database. In 2005 they resubmitted material as the system was updated. Still, no matches.

In 2005, Nolan County did get a call from authorities in San Angelo about an elderly gentleman they had found. His description seemed to match Cosby's, but after a closer look, it was clear he wasn't the same man.

"I would love to think that someday we'll get that call and be able to determine some remains are that of Mr. Cosby," Warren said.

This April will mark what would have been Cosby's 100th birthday. Sheriff Warren does not believe Cosby will be found alive. But just like those involved in the Hailey Dunn case, Warren has hope for closure.

"Just like what's going on right now in Mitchell County, my heart goes out to that community because I know what it's like to have somebody just virtually vanish," Warren said.

Warren says just about all of Cosby's immediate family who lived in Sweetwater at the time of his disappearance have either died or moved away. However, the case remains open.

If you have any information about the disappearance of Loy Cosby, call the Nolan County Sheriff's Department at 325-235-5750.

http://www.ktxs.com/big_country_news/26857240/detail.html
video I cannot embed.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Hailey Dunn Isn't Only Missing Person: The Cold Case Of Loy Cosby

Post by raine1953 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:02 pm

How sad! That poor man, it must have been just horrible on him, to be somewhere and lost, even with dementia. I sure feel for his wife and family, I cannot even imagine if that was my loved one!
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Warren says just about all of Cosby's immediate family who lived in Sweetwater at the time of his disappearance have either died or moved away. However, the case remains open.
crying

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston_Lady on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:12 pm

My grandmother had alzheimer's before she died and wandering was always a fear. And seeing how she was when she was afraid was heartbreaking because nothing we said would calm her down. She didn't recognize us.

I can't imagine not knowing where my loved one was and worrying with no relief . It\\'s Not Fair
Boston_Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Being that he went missing in June, at least he had the elements on his side. Being confused, he could have ended up in a pond or a creek bed somewhere.
In my area this happens more than anyone would want to admit. A home should be childproofed for someone suffering from dementia, high locks on outside doors,cabinets, etc. We have had elderly patients wander off from nursing homes around here. One was closed down because it was so slack.
I can imagine what it was like for him, being scared in the dark, stumbling. He could have caught a ride somewhere, guess no one will ever know. How sad.
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Slys Hunny on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:37 pm

atleast with dimentia he didnt remember not knowing where he was or what was happening. I cant imagine his wife and loved ones not knowing what happened to him but being in sound mind at the same time. breaks my heart to think about it.
Slys Hunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Being that he went missing in June, at least he had the elements on his side.
Not really. Remember, this is Texas. In June, the heat index due to the horrific humidity is over 100 degrees. He could have died of a heat stroke and his remains have never been found. How sad. crying

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum