Jason Young won't face death penalty in beating death of his wife Michelle Fisher Young/Second trial for first degree murder going on now/Convicted, First Degree Murder!/TO BE FEATURED ON DATELINE TONIGHT 3-30

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Jason Young won't face death penalty in beating death of his wife Michelle Fisher Young/Second trial for first degree murder going on now/Convicted, First Degree Murder!/TO BE FEATURED ON DATELINE TONIGHT 3-30

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:16 pm

The man a civil court judge found liable for the bludgeoning death of his wife should not be allowed to raise their young daughter, according to the dead woman's mother and sister.
Linda Fisher and Meredith Lynn Fisher -- the mother and sister of Michelle Young -- have filed suit in North Carolina seeking custody of Young's now 4-year-old daughter, Cassidy.

The two women claim in the suit to have "enjoyed a close and loving relationship with Cassidy since her birth" and detail how Linda Fisher, who lives in Sayville, N.Y., had visited her daughter monthly and bought a home in North Carolina to be close to her and help with raising her granddaughter and the baby boy Michelle Young was expecting when she was killed.

Among the reasons the suit alleged that Jason Young, Michelle's husband, should not have custody are the ruling that he "willfully and unlawfully killed" his wife, and that before her death he "engaged in a pattern of behavior that was degrading to Michelle, erratic and inappropriate."
Read more here http://abcnews.go.com/US/mom-womans-killer-raise-child/story?id=6506277
He has been arrested. I am trying to find out if Linda has custody of Cassidy.

Last edited by lindamarie on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:15 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Normal Jason Young won't face death penalty in beating death of his wife Michelle Fisher Young

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:29 pm

Jason Young won't face death penalty in wife's beating death

Wake County prosecutors announced Thursday that they won't seek the death penalty against a Raleigh man when he goes to trial for the November 2006 beating to death his pregnant wife.

Jason Young, 35, was arrested in December on a first-degree murder charge in the death of Michelle Young, 29, who was five months' pregnant when she was beaten inside the couple's Wake County home on Nov. 3, 2006.

"The state will be filing notice that in our discretion we have decided to proceed non-capitally in this case," said Assistant District Attorney Howard Cummings Thursday.

Chief Resident Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens appointed himself to hear the case, which is scheduled to begin May 16, 2011.

Investigators haven't offered a motive for the killing, but in search warrants, investigators have described the couple's marriage as a "volatile" relationship that included violent arguments and infidelity on his part.

According to search warrants in the case, he told investigators he was out of town on business when his wife was killed. Michelle Young's sister, Meredith Fisher, found her body after he asked her to go to the couple's home to retrieve a fax.

Testifying during a wrongful death hearing last year, sheriff's investigator R.C. Spivey called the slaying "particularly brutal."

An autopsy found she died from blunt force trauma to the head after being hit at least 10 times. The report also suggests that her killer tried to strangle her before beating her to death.

"(It was) the most severe physical beating I've ever seen someone encounter," he said. "This [was] pretty extreme, a pretty vicious attack that she underwent."

Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison won't say why it took more than three years to arrest Jason Young, only that the arrest had been "a long time coming" and that such domestic cases "take time."

Last year, a Wake County judge awarded Michelle Young's family $15.5 million in damages in a wrongful death suit against him.

Fisher has primary custody of the Youngs' daughter, Cassidy, who was 2 years old when she was found in the same room with her mother's body.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Jason Young

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Offender Name: JASON LYNN YOUNG
Offender ID: 325539
Date of Birth: 04/08/1974
Race: White

Custody Status: In Custody
Location of Offender: Wake County Sheriff's Dept.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Jason Young won't face death penalty in beating death of his wife Michelle Fisher Young/Second trial for first degree murder going on now/Convicted, First Degree Murder!/TO BE FEATURED ON DATELINE TONIGHT 3-30

Post by Landonsmom on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks BJ for starting this thread. Meredith, Michelle's sister has primary custody of Cassidy.

Landonsmom

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Jason Young won't face death penalty in beating death of his wife Michelle Fisher Young/Second trial for first degree murder going on now/Convicted, First Degree Murder!/TO BE FEATURED ON DATELINE TONIGHT 3-30

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:00 pm

Landonsmom wrote:Thanks BJ for starting this thread. Meredith, Michelle's sister has primary custody of Cassidy.
So glad you found that good news...... Cassie is growing up and turning into a young lady by now. It's been 5 years since she lost her mother.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Michelle Fisher Young

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Very informative website:

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Yup, Orange is his color!

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonsmom on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:14 pm

BJ wrote:Very informative website:

Yes that is a great website. I visit there quiet often. Scout, the mod, is very passionate about this case.

Landonsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonsmom on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Although alot CE is found in this case, there is more that points to only him. What is wrong these husbands? Divorce is the best way out of a marriage. Now a entire family is shattered due to one man's selfishness.

Landonsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Landonsmom wrote:

Yes that is a great website. I visit there quiet often. Scout, the mod, is very passionate about this case.

It is a great website. I learned a lot about this case I did not know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:44 pm

lindamarie wrote:
Landonsmom wrote:
BJ wrote:Very informative website:

It is a great website. I learned a lot about this case I did not know.
I hope the members of VH will go there and read about this case. No sense bringing all of the old news over here since it's right there at our finger tips. We can start posting anything new now that this case has been brought to our attention......and of course there is a trial coming.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:55 pm

I did go to the website and I read it. I'll keep up with this case from now on too.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Defense wants gas receipt blocked in Raleigh man's murder trial

RALEIGH, N.C. — Defense attorneys for a Raleigh man going to trial next month for the beating death of his pregnant wife want a judge to block testimony from a convenience store clerk who says she sold him gasoline.

Jason Lynn Young, 37, was arrested in December 2009 on a first-degree murder charge in the slaying of Michelle Young, 29, who was five months' pregnant when she was beaten inside the couple's Wake County home on Nov. 3, 2006.

Attorneys for Jason Young want Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens to suppress the testimony of Gracie Bailey, a store clerk at a convenience store in King, N.C., approximately 120 miles from Raleigh.
more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed May 25, 2011 11:19 pm

Brevard man charged with pregnant wife's murder makes court appearance

RALEIGH — A Brevard man charged with the murder of his pregnant wife was in court this week.

Jason Lynn Young was arrested in 2009 for the alleged slaying of Michelle Young on Nov. 3, 2006.

The victim was found beaten to death in their suburban Raleigh home, surrounded by bloody footprints left by the couple's then 2-year-old daughter. The child was unharmed.

A judge ruled Friday he would allow the testimony of a convenience store clerk who said she sold gas to Young the morning of his wife’s death, according to news accounts. Young has maintained he was sleeping in a Virginia hotel room at the time the clerk says he was in her store.

Jury selection in Young’s trial on a charge of first-degree murder is expected to begin May 30.

Young, 37, grew up in Brevard. He moved back to Transylvania County following the murder, first living with his sister and then his mother, according to the court records.

Authorities pulled over his car near a business in Brevard and took him into custody in December 2009. Earlier that year a civil court judge ordered Young to pay $15 million in damages to his wife's family for her death.

Deputies and SBI agents in February 2008 executed search warrants at the Brevard home of Jason Young's mother, Pat Young, and his sister, Heather McCracken, of Etowah, according to the Wake County Sheriff's Office.

They also searched a storage unit in Etowah owned by Jason Young.

Young said he was out of town on a business trip at the time of the murder. Michelle Young was five-months pregnant.

Jason Young worked a counselor at Camp Illahee in his teens, according to a warrant. Investigators in a search of his e-mail account found that he denied being married in a message he sent to a woman who had attended the camp with him.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:55 pm

RALEIGH -- When prosecutors and defense attorneys begin polling potential jurors today for the Jason Young murder trial, there might be a sense of eerie similarities to a case that wrapped up three weeks ago in the same Wake County courthouse.

Jason Young, 37, is accused of murdering his wife, Michelle Young. She was 29 and several months pregnant when her sister found her body Nov. 3, 2006, in the master bedroom of the family's suburban Wake County home. Cassidy, the couple's then 2-year-old daughter, was physically unharmed, but had tracked bloody footprints throughout the house.

Much like the trial of Brad Cooper, the 37-year-old husband and father convicted this month of killing his wife in their suburban Cary home, the trial of Jason Young could be one of circumstantial evidence and accusations of a bungled police investigation.

Phone records, computer searches and surveillance camera video footage convinced a jury that Cooper was guilty, even though his defense team argued investigators ignored evidence that might have led them to a different conclusion. The jury was not convinced by their theory that Cary police tampered with and planted evidence.

Detectives in the Young case have outlined their theory in search warrants and other court documents related to the case.

They contend that Young checked into a hotel in Hillsville, Va., in early November 2006, then some time either late Nov. 2 or early Nov. 3, drove back to his home in the Enchanted Oaks neighborhood south of Raleigh and killed his wife.

Young told a judge this month that he is not guilty of murder.

Defense suggested

Though his attorneys have yet to lay out their defense in an opening statement, they began several weeks ago to discredit the investigation in hearings leading up to the trial, giving glimpses of some issues they could attack in the upcoming trial.

Defense attorneys attempted to persuade a judge to suppress testimony from a convenience store clerk who said she sold gasoline to Young in North Carolina at a time he said he was in a Virginia hotel room about 45 miles away. They argued in a pretrial hearing that Wake County investigators did not follow proper procedures during one interview with the clerk in King, who testified that Jason Young cursed at her before buying gas from her early Nov. 3, 2006.

Judge Donald Stephens, the Wake County Superior Court judge presiding over the trial, disagreed with the defense team about one of their claims of sloppy investigative work, but he was slow to rule on whether an improper photo lineup was used in one interview with the store clerk.

The similarities

Unlike Cooper, Jason Young was arrested three years, not three months, after the death of his wife. Still, the two murders have other similarities.

Investigators have described the Youngs' marriage as a "volatile" relationship, similar to descriptions of the Coopers' marriage. There were accusations of violent arguments and of his being unfaithful.

Phone and computer records are expected to be introduced in the Young case, as are images from surveillance cameras that show the defendant during the hours before and after his wife's death.

As in the Cooper case, civil court procedures in the Young case are likely to come up in the criminal trial. In 2009, a judge awarded the family of Michelle Young $15.5 million in damages in a wrongful death suit against Jason Young. Meredith Fisher, Michelle Young's sister, has primary custody of Cassidy.

The jury in the Brad Cooper case was shown a six-hour videotape interview of the defendant, answering questions under oath as part of a custody dispute with his in-laws over the Coopers' two daughters.

Some differences

But, unlike Cooper, Young did not respond to the civil lawsuits brought by his in-laws.

Cooper talked with Cary investigators for several days after his wife was reported missing, then declined further interviews.

Investigators say Young has never cooperated with them.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys speculate that the Young trial will not be as protracted as the Cooper case.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/05/31/1237362/jason-young-trial-gets-under-way.html#ixzz1OXzSmKej

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:50 am

NORTH CAROLINA LATEST STATE TO ENACT UNBORN VICTIMS OF VIOLENCE LAW
May 3rd, 2011

By Dave Andrusko

On Friday North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue, an abortion supporter, signed “Ethen’s Law,” a measure that makes it a separate crime to kill or harm an unborn child as a result of a violent attack on the child’s mother. Her signature caps a battle that Republicans have waged for more than two decades to pass a unborn victims of violence act.

Jenna Nielsen in an undated photograph supplied by her family. The pregnant 22-year-old was found dead behind a Raleigh convenience store in the early-morning hours of June 14.

The bill is named after the unborn child of Jenna Nielsen, the mother of two, who was murdered in 2007 when she was 8 1/2 months pregnant with her third child.

The state Senate approved H215 by a vote of 45-4. Last week the state House voted 77-40 in favor.

The Unborn Victims Of Violence/Ethen’s Law enables prosecutor to charge the attacker with a violent felony such as murder, voluntary manslaughter and aggravated assault if they caused death or injury to an unborn child. It is no defense under the law to argue that the attacker did not know his victim was pregnant, or did not intend to kill or harm her unborn child. Previously North Carolina law did not recognize the death of unborn child as a result of a violent crime as a homicide or separate crime.

“Finally, the state of North Carolina has joined the 35 states that recognize the unborn child as a second victim,” stated Barbara Holt, President of North Carolina Right to Life. “This law which mirrors the federal law, acknowledges what the victims’ families have always known; there are two human victims when a mother is attacked and her unborn child is injured or killed or in the case of an automobile accident when the unborn child dies or is injured.”

Kevin Blaine, Jenna’s father, told WGNC, “It should have always been a law.” He went on to say, “Why we had to go through this, I don’t really have an answer for that, but I’m really happy right now.”

National Right to Life has a complete summary of these laws.

North Carolina joins 35 states that recognize the unlawful killing of an unborn child as homicide in at least some circumstances. The federal Unborn Victims of Violence Act, enacted April 1, 2004, covers unborn victims of federal and military crimes.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:30 am

Opening statements expected in Jason Young murder trial

RALEIGH, N.C. — Attorneys in the murder trial of a Raleigh man accused of brutally beating his wife to death are finishing up jury selection in the case and are scheduled to deliver opening statements Tuesday afternoon.

Michelle Young, 29 was found facedown in the master bedroom of her home at 5108 Birchleaf Drive in the Enchanted Oaks subdivision south of Raleigh on Nov. 3, 2006.

An autopsy report found that she died from blunt force trauma to the head, after being struck more than 10 times. It also indicated that the killer tried to strangle her.
continue reading at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:25 am

ALEIGH -- Defense attorney Mike Klinkosum held up his hand to the seven women and five men selected to hear the Jason Young murder trial late this afternoon to try to make a point.

With his palm clearly in view, Klinkosum told all in the jury box they could not say they had seen his hand. Then he turned his wrist to show a different vantage.

"None of you can say you've seen my hand until you've seen the other side of it," Klinkosum said.

The prosecution and defense laid out two different sides to what happened to Michelle Young, who was 29 and five months pregnant, when she was found dead on Nov. 3, 2006, face down, near Jason Young's bedroom closet in the master bedroom of the home the couple shared south of Raleigh.

Prosecutors contend Jason Young, 37, a philandering and disgruntled husband, beat his wife to death after trying to strangle her while their 2-year-old daughter was home.

They argue that Michelle Young put up a struggle and a bloody fight ensued.

Young, prosecutor Becky Holt argued in a 30-minute opening statement, planned the killing as his marital troubles mounted and the family financial situation grew tighter.

Young, a medical software salesman, had a business trip in Virginia scheduled the first week in November.

Prosecutors contend he drove to a Hampton Inn in Hillsville, Va., on Nov. 2, 2006, checked in late that night, changed clothes and then leaves the hotel, an exit captured on security cameras in the lobby close to midnight, and heads back to Raleigh.

Prosecutors contend Young, who was involved with another woman then and upset about the possibility of his mother-in-law moving to North Carolina to help with child care when the new baby arrived, hatched a criminal plan.

"His plan was to murder his wife," Holt contended. "His plan to was get away with it."

But Klinkosum argued that Young did not commit murder.

He argued that his wife's killer remained on the loose.

Inside the home, where Young's sister in law found a bloody mess, including tiny bloody footprints tracked through the house by Cassidy Young, a toddler at the time, was evidence of bloody footprints that could not be tied to Jason Young and DNA evidence that could not be linked to him.

Young was a louse of a husband, Klinkosum ceded. He was unfaithful to his wife and was rude and sometime immature. He liked to drink with his friends.

But even his mother-in-law, Linda Fisher, described her son-in-law as a good father to police, Klinkosum said.

There was no evidence of blood in Young's Ford Explorer, Klinkosum contended. There were no fibers from the Hampton Inn found in the Young home, he added.

"This young man did not kill his wife," Klinkosum contended. "He was not one of the attackers who brutally murdered her and his unborn son and this case is not solved."

The trial is expected to last several weeks. Last month, Young pleaded not guilty to the accusations.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06/07/1255839/jason-youngs-trial-for-murder.html?tab=gallery&gallery=/2011/06/07/1256096/jason-young-trial-060711.html&gid_index=1#ixzz1PQwDI2BB

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Excellent, Linda Marie!!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:20 am

Raleigh, N.C. — A third-shift convenience store clerk testified Friday in the murder trial of Jason Young that she sold him gasoline the morning his wife was found dead in their Raleigh home.

It was sometime between 5 and 5:30 a.m. on Nov. 3, 2006, Gracie Dahms recalled, that a man driving a white SUV pulled into the parking lot of the Four Brothers Food Store in King, N.C., about 120 miles from Raleigh, and attempted several times to get gas.

More Info Gracie Dahms Full video: Day 3 trial testimony

The pump was off during overnight hours, Dahms said, to keep people from driving away without paying. After several attempts at starting the pump, she said, the man entered the store and stood face to face with her.

"He asked me what was up, and I told him, 'Either you have to have cash or a license or credit card for me to hold on to until after you get done,'" Dahms said. "That's when he started cussing at me and threw a $20 at me."

Dahms said the man, she later pointed out in court as being Jason Young, got $15 worth of gasoline and drove away behind a nearby McDonald's.

"I don't forget anybody who cusses me," she said. "I don't forget nothing like that."

It was around the same time, Jason Young has said, that he was asleep inside a Hampton Inn approximately 45 minutes away in Hillsville, Va.

Prosecutors say he checked into the hotel on the night of Nov. 2, 2006, and then drove back to Raleigh and killed his pregnant wife, Michelle Young.

"His plan was to be able to say that he was in Virginia. His plan was to go in and kill her and get back out so that he could say he wasn't there," Wake County Assistant District Attorney Becky Holt said during opening statements Tuesday.

Also Friday, jurors heard testimony about Jason Young's cellphone records, which indicated he made dozens of calls, including several to a Florida woman with whom he was having an affair, on the night before and the day his wife died.

Jurors also spent hours listening to a crime scene investigator go over the crime scene as he found it on Nov. 3, 2006. They saw photos of the Youngs' bedroom and of Michelle Young as she had been found that day.

On Thursday, Hampton Inn employee Keith Hicks testified that, early in the morning of Nov. 3, 2006, that he discovered an emergency exit door propped open with a rock and a security camera pointing toward the door unplugged.
Read more here http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/story/9712468/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 am

Raleigh, N.C. — A sorority sister and friend of Michelle Young testified Tuesday morning that she had an affair with Young’s husband shortly before Young was killed nearly five years ago.

More Info Michelle Money Full video: Day 5 trial testimony

Michelle Young, 29, was five months’ pregnant when she was found beaten to death in her Wake County home, at 5108 Birchleaf Drive, on Nov. 3, 2006. Her daughter, Cassidy, then 2, was in the house at the time but was unharmed.

Her husband, Jason Young, 37, has said he was out of town on business at the time and has denied any involvement in his wife’s death. He was arrested in December 2009 on a first-degree murder charge and is currently on trial. If convicted, he faces life in prison.

Michelle Money, a Florida woman who attended North Carolina State University with Michelle Young in the mid-1990s, told investigators that she had been having a sexual relationship with Jason Young and had seen him a month before Michelle Young's death.

After a September 2006 visit to the Youngs' home in which Money shared concerns with Jason Young about her marriage, Money said, the two began talking daily, and she felt like they had become friends.

"It grew very quickly. We started talking all day about anything ... anything that you would talk to a friend about," she said.

The relationship evolved from a friendship into something more, Money said, and on the weekend of Oct. 7, 2006, he visited her in Florida. Money said the two wavered about whether he should make the trip.

"He flew in on a Saturday, and I believe that, as late as Thursday night, I was saying, 'Maybe you shouldn't come. This is wrong,'" she said.

Jason Young had planned a fishing trip in Wilmington that weekend, she said, but he said he could tell his wife that he had a business trip in Florida.

"We basically just hung out at the house and basically had an intimate relationship for the two days that he was there," she said.

He left early Monday morning, and the two discussed seeing each other again, Money said, although they never set any other time.

"We kind of knew it couldn't keep going, but we kept talking," she said.

Jason Young and Money spoke several times the night of Nov. 2, 2006, and the following morning, she said.

"It was a normal conversation," Money added about the morning phone call. "I don't remember anything standing out in our conversation at all."

They spoke several other times that day, she said, during which Jason Young was disappointed that his business meeting didn't go well and he said he was concerned that his wife would find printouts of a Coach purse he was thinking about getting her for a belated anniversary gift.

Money said she found out about Michelle Young's death later that night and made plans to go to Raleigh the next morning.

A couple of weeks after the funeral, investigators traveled to Florida, Money said, and questioned her about her relationship with Jason Young. At one point, she said, she was considered a suspect.

The two stopped communicating for a while, she testified, but started to send email to one another in early 2007. They saw each other and talked at length again in June 2007, when Jason Young was in Myrtle Beach for a guy's weekend, Money said.

She ceased contact with him in January 2008, Money said, after investigators told her she was "an idiot" and needed to stop speaking to him.

"I sent Jason a text saying I needed to put my life first, and he wrote back and said he understood," she said.

Despite the affair, she said, she still considered Michelle Young her friend, but she never asked Jason Young if he murdered his wife.

Prosecutors say Jason Young felt as if he were rushed into marriage when his wife found out she was pregnant with their daughter and that he killed her so that he could live a single life.

They say he drove three hours from a Hampton Inn in Hillsville, Va. – where he checked into a Hampton Inn shortly before 11 p.m. on Nov. 2, 2006 – to Raleigh and killed his wife before returning to Virginia to continue with his business trip.

Defense attorneys admit that their client wasn’t a good husband but insist that he did not kill his wife. Forensic evidence, they say, proves it and that it actually points to someone else, possibly two people.

Read more here http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/story/9725672/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:45 am

Jason Young trial: Women recall Jason's infidelity, rough behavior
RALEIGH, N.C. --

The Jason Young trial resumes Thursday in Wake County Superior Court. NBC17.com will have live updates throughout the proceedings. Two women testified about Jason Young on Thursday - one a former fiancee who recalled an intense fight, and another a woman who knew Jason at a camp near Brevard and had an intimate relationship with him the month before Michelle died.

4:44 p.m., former financee recalls fight with Jason Young: Genevieve Cargol was engaged to Jason Young in late 1999 and went to friend’s wedding in Texas. The Friday of that weekend, she testified, Young drank excessively at a lunch on Friday. He went back to their hotel and slept for an hour before waking up.

When he awoke, she reminded him of an agreement they had where he would not drink excessively around her, which she said had concerned her.

“Jason agreed that he would not drink so heavily. He agreed his behavior was becoming out of control when he was drinking, especially around me,” she said.

Young, she said, “became agitated.”

I reminded him of the agreement. He said something to the effect of, ‘If I’m going to make such a terrible husband, give me my ring back.’ I told him in so many words that wasn’t going to happen.”

She said the ring was half a size too small, which made it hard for her to get it off her finger.

“He became extremely agitated with me and came after me to get the ring,” she testified. “He began trying to pull the ring off and it wouldn’t come off. I was becoming emotional and upset. And he was pushing me around the room. … He was throwing me from one bed to the other.”

She said he jumped on her “with all his weight” and pinned both of her arms behind her “so hard I felt like my arms were going to come out of the socket, out of the shoulder.”

Prosecutor Becky Holt asked if she could see Young’s face.

“Yes. I saw his face and his eyes were glazed over and didn’t show any emotion,” she said. She paused, and then added, “Just pretty much sums it up.”

She later broke off the engagement. The two continued to date some but she was no longer interested in being engaged to Jason Young.

4:17 p.m., former financee testifies: Genevieve Cargol, a former N.C. State student, is testifying about how she was engaged to Jason Young in 1999.

2:42 p.m., woman details intimacy: Carol Ann Soweroy just testified that she was intimate with Jason Young in October 2006.

She first got to know him when she went to a camp near Brevard as a girl. Young grew up in Brevard and had worked at the camp. The two became friends, and they kept up through the years.

Soweroy came to Raleigh, from Montana, the month before Michelle Young died. She was coming to Raleigh for a class and arranged to stay with the Youngs while in town.

She said she was excited about seeing Jason and his new family, and didn't realize at first that Michelle was away on a business trip. On the second night she was there, she said, she and Jason were intimate on the Young's sofa.

Asked by prosecutor Becky Holt what happened her second night there, she testified, "Um. Again, Cassidy was put down to bed. And ... um ... I had a couple of drinks. We were talking. And … [she started crying] … we ended up having sex."

After Michelle's murder, she said she cut off communication with Jason on the advice of her father and law enforcement officers.

She is the second woman to testify she had a sexual relationship with Young the month before Michelle Young died. He also had an intimate relationship with Michelle Money in October 2006.

In cross-examination, defense attorney Mike Klinkosum got Soweroy to say it was obvious how much Jason Young loved Cassidy.

2:01 p.m. Greg Tart testimony: Agent Greg Tart of the SBI, a special agent in charge of the Raleigh field office, testified earlier. The defense pushed him on the memory of Gracie Dahms - the clerk at the Four Brothers convenience store in King, N.C.

Dahms' testimony is crucial to the state, since it places Jason Young between the hotel in Hillsville, Va., and Raleigh. The defense wants to portray Dahms' memory as faulty.

A big question from the defense was, Why wasn't Dahms given a "photographic lineup" of several pictures where she had to identify Jason Young? She was twice shown one photograph and identified it as the man who was in her store around 5 of 5:30 a.m. on Nov. 3, 2006.

The defense wants to plant doubt in the jury's mind, of course, about whether Dahms remembered Young correctly.

One other critical point from the testimony. Tart said he went to Brevard and found a receipt for the purchase of a pair of shoes by the Youngs.

“It was a Hushpuppies plain toe slip-on model, orbital size 12,” he said. They were purchased July 4, 2005, he said.

He said he was not able to find those shoes in any of his searches.

12:02 p.m., no matches: Agent Karen Morrow of the SBI just testified that she went to Jason Young's hometown of Brevard, where his parents lived, to check and see if she found any shoes there that matched the Franklin and Hushpuppy shoes she found at the crime scene. She said she did not find any shoes there that matched the prints she evaluated from the crime scene.

11:12 a.m., short break: Court is in a short break with agent Karen Morrow still on the stand.

10:12 a.m., impressions from two shoes: Agent Karen Morrow of the SBI is showing the jury pictures of footwear impressions to the jury.

She just testified that her photographs and analysis showed two sets of shoes - one that was a Hushpuppy shoe and another that was a Franklin brand. In some cases, there was not enough detail for her to determine if it was a left or a right shoe.

She said that she had requested everyone who visited the crime scene to visit her office with the shoes they wore that day to the crime scene, and no shoes corresponded with the Hushpuppy and Franklin shoes.

9:46 a.m., agent Morrow returns: Agent Karen Morrow of the SBI is testifying again Thursday morning. However, this could be a bumpy day when it comes to testimony. Judge Donald Stephens said some witnesses scheduled to take the stand Thursday may be running behind because of weather delays, which could mean there could be some down time today.

Stephens said told the juror delays like this are natural in this type of case.

"I amazed we haven't had that problem until now," Stephens said.

We'll keep you posted if there are delays in the testimony.

9:38 a.m., trial back in session: The Jason Young first-degree murder trial is continuing on Thursday morning. We’ll update you as soon as testimony begins.
http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/jun/16/26/jason-young-trial-thursdays-session-begins-ar-1126894/

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:14 am

Emails highlight problems in Young marriage

RALEIGH, N.C. — Emails entered into evidence this week in the trial of a Raleigh man accused of beating his pregnant wife to death nearly five years ago substantiated the problems in the couple's marriage that witnesses have described over the past two weeks.

Jason Young, 37, is accused of first-degree murder in the Nov. 3, 2006, death of his wife, Michelle Young, 29. She was five months’ pregnant with their second child when she was found in a pool of blood the bedroom of the couple's home.

Jason Young has said he was out of town at the time and has denied any involvement in his wife’s death.

Despite living in the same house, the couple found email was an easier way to communicate, according to witnesses.

The three emails, which jurors saw Friday, appear to support Wake County Assistant District Attorney Becky Holt's claims in opening statements that Jason Young didn't want to be married and that he killed his wife so that he could "live life on his own terms."

In an Oct. 24, 2006, email exchange recovered from the Youngs' family computer, Jason Young wrote:

"I enjoy my freedom and being independent and I feel like when I go through the process of 'clearing' something with you (which we USED to fight about me not 'clearing' stuff and just doing at the drop of a hat …), I should be able to follow through with it and make a decision for myself."

Read more at:
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:15 am

Thanks for the update lisette.
After calling 36 witnesses over the past two weeks, the state expects to call its final witness, the lead investigator in the case, Monday morning.
I have been trying to keep up with this trial.

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Prosecution rests in Young case

BY ANNE BLYTHE - STAFF WRITER
RALEIGH -- Richard Spivey, the lead investigator in the Michelle Young homicide case, was the last witness prosecutors called in the murder trial of Jason Young.

Prosecutors rested their case early this afternoon.

Jason Young is accused of killing his wife Michelle on Nov. 3, 2006, in the Wake County home.

Young pleaded not guilty in May. His defense attorneys argue his wife's homicide remains unsolved.

Shortly after the state rested its case this afternoon, the defense asked the judge to dismiss the charge.

But Judge Donald Stephens, the Superior Court judge overseeing the trial, said he had heard enough evidence to send the question to a jury.

The defense plans to put on witnesses.

For much of the morning, Spivey recounted details of a lengthy investigation that eventually led them to bring charges against Jason Young in December 2009.

The arrest came nearly three years after Meredith Fisher founder her sister Michelle Young face down and lifeless in the master bedroom of the Youngs' home in the Enchanted Oaks neighborhood just south of Raleigh.

Cassidy, the Youngs' daughter, wriggled out from under the covers of the bed in her parents' bedroom.

Prosecutors contend Jason Young bludgeoned his wife to death, beating her violently with a weapon never found. Michelle Young's teeth were broken out and, according to a medical examiner's report, suffered 30 blows and a broken jaw.

Spiveys' testimony this morning began with prosecutors showing video from a surveillance camera at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Greensboro that Young visited on Nov. 2, 2006.

Young told family and friends he had a business trip in Virginia on Nov. 2 and 3.

He left Raleigh about 7:30 p.m., according to a gas station receipt. He was at Cracker Barrel in Greensboro at about 9:30 p.m. and checked into a hotel in Hillsville, Va., about 160 miles from Raleigh. At about 11 p.m., images of Young leaving the hotel lobby shortly before midnight were captured on the surveillance camera of the Hampton Inn where he booked a room. The key card reader does not show that a guest card was used after that to re-enter the room.

Prosecutors argue that Young drove from Hillsville, Va., killed his wife, then drove back to Virginia for his business trip.

A convenience store clerk in King, a small North Carolina town about an hour's drive south of Hillsville, Va., testified that she sold $15 gas to Young at 5:27 a.m. Nov. 3.

Prosecutors showed jurors footage from the Greensboro Cracker Barrel surveillance camera so they could see clothes that Young was wearing that investigators never found.

Spivey also told jurors that investigators never found two pairs of shoes tied to prints investigators found at the crime scene.

Prosecutors contend at least one set of prints was made by Young in size 12 Hush Puppies never recovered.

Spivey revealed this morning that Young purchased a new pair of shoes on Nov. 4, 2006, hours before he was to meet with investigators so they could seize hair, saliva samples and do a scan of his body for bruises and other injuries.

Defense lawyers contended in their opening statements the shoe prints found on pillow cases in the master bedroom were evidence of someone else in the house.

Spivey also testified about a medicine dropper that investigators found in the bedroom of Cassidy Young, who was 2 at the time of the homicide.

The dropper, tested by crime scene lab analysts showed traces of Dihydrocodeine, a prescription drug that causes drowsiness. Prosecutors contended that Young, a medical software salesman for a pharmaceutical company, could have had access to the drug and used it to immobilize his daughter during the incident.

A bottle of adult Tylenol was found in Cassidy Young's room, and defense attorney Mike Kilnkosum pointed out on cross-examination of Spivey today that a fingerprint was found on the cap that did not match any of the people investigators tested for the case.

Jurors will have an opportunity to review evidence from the prosecution's case early this afternoon.

The defense is expected to begin calling witnesses for their case by mid-afternoon.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Mom's testimony in murder trial brings smile to Jason Young

RALEIGH, N.C. — Jason Young briefly smiled Monday afternoon as his mother took the witness stand, describing his childhood and his relationship with his wife and daughter.

"He loved all sports, camping and hiking. He loved animals. He loved to pester and tease his sisters," Pat Young said. "He was always quite an imp."

That brought the smile – the first sign of emotion that the 37-year-old has shown while on trial for the November 2006 beating death of his wife, Michelle Young, 29. If convicted, he faces life in prison.

Within minutes of the start of Pat Young's testimony, defense attorneys introduced a number of photos of Jason Young and his wife on their wedding day in October 2003, as well as photos of the couple with their daughter, Cassidy, after her birth in 2004.

"He was very excited to be a father," Pat Young said. "He absolutely loved her. He stayed in the hospital with Michelle and bragged that he changed that first diaper."

Read more at:
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:33 pm

RALEIGH, N.C. --

The day started with a simple statement, and it changed the trial.

The defense opened Wednesday morning’s testimony with a surprise – calling Jason Young to the stand in his first-degree murder trial. Young has refused to give his version of events since his wife, Michelle, was found murdered on Nov. 3, 2006. But suddenly, he was on the stand, insisting he loved his wife and was devastated by her murder.

A salesman by trade, Young sought to convince the courtroom – and the 12 jurors to his left who will decide his fate – that he was not the killer. He explained where he was the night of Nov. 2, said he regretted his infidelities, and explained why he had searched for terms like “head blow knockout.”

He became emotional when recalling how he learned of her death, and when he saw her body a final time.

But the mood changed on cross-examination. He responded to the questions from prosecutor Becky Holt with a series of polite “Yes, ma’ams” and “No, ma’ams,” but beyond the genteel exterior was a fierce battle over details.

Holt, growing annoyed, responded with a ferocious string of questions.

She reminded him he had testified that he loved his wife.

Then she asked, Did you love your wife when you were having an affair with Michelle Money?

She continued questions about other infidelities.

She also asked why he had refused to discuss specifics of the case with authorities until Wednesday.

“I followed the advice of my legal counsel,” he said curtly.

Young's testimony was a bold move by the defense to sway the jury in its favor as the trial heads toward a conclusion.

The defense rested Wednesday, and closing arguments could begin Thursday.

NBC17.com is producing live blogs throughout the trial. Here is NBC17.com's complete coverage of Wednesday's testimony.

3:21 p.m., done fo rthe day: Judge Donald Stephens, with the jury out of the room, dismissed a motion from the defense asking for the case to be dismissed based on "insufficient evidence."

Stephens just called the jury in and is letting them go for the day.

3:17 p.m., defense rests: A newspaper carrier just testified he saw nothing unusual on the morning of Nov. 3 at the Youngs' house.

After that witness, Judge Stephens said, "It appears the evidence in this case has now been completed."

2:46 p.m., prosecution confronts Jason: Prosecutor Becky Holt has torn into Jason Young in cross examination. They have fought over specific details of the case, and Holt responded by firing off a searing set a questions for Young that focused on his infidelity, and thus his credibility.

She noted that he had testified that he loved his wife.

Then she asked, Did you love your wife when you were having an affair with Michelle Money?

“Yes ma’am.”

Then she asked, Did you love your wife when you had sex with Carroll Anne Sowerby on the coach with your daughter sleeping upstairs?

"Yes ma'am," he said.

Did you love your wife when you wrote Genevieve Cargol an email and said she was the love of your life?

“Yes ma’am, I did,” he said.

Holt brought up specifics of two other infidelities, one with a woman in Charlotte, but Young fought her on the details. For example, Holt asked if it was true that Michelle did not want him to stay at the woman's "home," but Jason said she didn't have a home - later, under further questions, the woman shared a place with someone else.

Holt pushed hard on why Young had waited until this day to tell his story.

"You didn't provide any of that to police, did you?" she asked. "To your friends or family members?"

"Yes ma'am, that’s correct," he testified. "I followed my legal advice."

“You said you went and got any attorney. What did you tell your attorney?” she asked.

“I told the attorney what I am telling the people here today,” he said. He said he told the attorney he was in Virginia by himself, that his wife was pregnant, and that he was having an affair.

“And my attorney said, ‘I don’t think you should talk to law enforcement.’”

Holt often sounded incredulous when questioning Young. At 2:58 p.m., she said curtly, "That's all I have. Thank you."

2:14 p.m., cross examination: Lead prosecutor Becky Holt is very aggressive in her cross-examination of Jason Young, with the two of them often sparring over details of the case and what happened in the days leading up to the murder.

She just got him to testify that he had a sexual relationship with another woman after he had been dating Michelle and Michelle had moved into his townhouse. Jason at first argued with her timeline and whether he and Michelle had an agreement at the time that they would only see each other. But, when she persisted and reminded him he was under oath, he said he had that relationship with the woman.

She got him to testify that he had gambled online and that was a source of contention with Michelle.

"That was the source of a couple of arguments that I recall, yes ma'am," he said.

He testified that Michelle was making around $55,000-60,000 at the time she died and he made a base salary of $70,000, plus commissions.

12:50, p.m., summary: Jason just detailed the impact since Michelle's death, saying he lost two jobs and, of course, much else.

“I’ve lost. ... family, friends, jobs," he said. "I’ve lost everything.”

12:48 p.m., tears up: Jason teared up during his testimony talking about his unborn son, Ryan. Earlier in the day, Jason had spoken about how he wanted more children, and how thrilled he was to learn his second child would be a son. He cried when remembering being at Michelle's body and touching the mound on her stomach.

12:46 p.m., why he was silent: Jason Young testified that friends told him not to speak to police until he got an attorney.

“I listened to what they said and said I wasn’t going to talk to them until there was a lawyer present,” he said.

He said he spoke to an attorney on "Monday or Tuesday" after Michelle's death on Friday.

“He said, 'Don’t talk to anybody about anything,'” he said.

Young said he followed that advice.

12:27 p.m., hearing the news: Jason Young just testified that he got to his mother's home in Brevard, and he saw her and her husband, Gerald McIntyre, walking to his car holding each other.

He asked what was wrong and that there was something with his grandmother.

“That’s when Gerald told me it’s Michelle. It’s when he told me Michelle was dead," he said.

“I just broke on the inside. I just broke – I didn’t believe it. It didn’t feel real. It didn’t feel like it was happening.

“It didn’t feel real. I didn’t understand it. I remember … I remember going inside the house and I just remember crying and I remember sobbing and I remember just feeling really, really hot. And I’d feel really, really cold.”

12:15 p.m., Jason's version of Hampton Inn: Jason Young, in the continuing his testimony, insisted he was in the Hampton Inn in Hillsville, Va., the night of Nov. 2, and was not en route to Raleigh.

The defense asked him directly if he was in the Four Corners convenience store, where Gracie Dahms says she saw him.

“No sir,” he testified. “I was in my hotel room.”

Young said he got into the hotel Nov. 2 around 11 p.m. and went to his room. He said the door wasn’t heavy and didn’t lock behind him when he went down to the lobby.

Young testified that he needed to go to his car to get the power cord for his computer. He acknowledged that he was the man in a snapshot taken just before midnight in the lobby. He said he had been watching a college football game, and said he went to the counter to get a copy of USA Today so he could look at football schedules and standings.

He said he later went outside to smoke a cigar, and that’s why he had bottles of water with him. Usually, he said, he would have a beer, but he had a meeting the next morning.

He propped the hotel door open, smoked his cigar, and went back inside, where his room door was not completely closed. Then, he said, he went to sleep.

“I closed the door, brushed my teeth and went to bed,” he said.

He said he did not get a wake-up call for that morning because he had set the alarm in his room and he woke up easily.

One key point he addressed is why he searched for words like "head trauma blackout" and "head block knockout."

Young said he came across a brutal two-car accident in the summer of 2006. He stopped to aid a victim and wondered later if he'd done enough. To see if he'd done the right thing, he said, he searched for those terms on the Internet.

11:42 a.m., sick juror: One juror is not feeling well. Judge Stephens asked the juror to let him know if she can't continue

11:13 a.m., quick break: The trial just took a 15-minute break, but Jason made an important point before the break. He testified that he did check into the Hampton Inn just before 11 p.m., as video cameras show, but said the reason he was seen later was he forgot the power cord for his laptop and went back out to his car to get it.

He said he didn't want to slam the door on his hotel room, and wake others up, so he kept it slightly ajar. He also said he went out the side exit door and used a twig or branch to block it so he could get back into the hotel.

10:40 a.m., Jason on the stand: Jason Young is on the stand in a surprise move by the defense.

When asked by his attorney if he loved Michelle, he said, "Yes sir, I did."

When asked if he killed her, he said, "No sir."

He is on the stand now recalling how they met and started dating.

He said he first met her at a bar in downtown Raleigh.

"I felt like she was a little out of my league," he said. "She was really pretty."

They eventually started dating and she moved in with him. She even got him to start dancing with her, even though he hated to dance before that.

“We always were jokey with each other. She was always the serious type. I was the loosen her up type,” he said.

They were married after she got pregnant.

"It didn’t cause us to get married. It expedited the marriage," he said. "It made it happen sooner. It was going to eventually happen. On my schedule, it would have taken a little longer. On her schedule, it would have happened sooner."

Asked if he wanted to stay married to Michelle, he said, "Yes, I did. I wanted to have another baby and for the family to grow."

Asked if they ever discussed divorce other than in the heat of anger, he said, "No, no sir."

The defense just walked Jason through several incidents that involved inappropriate behavior by him. He admitted he was "very intoxicated" when he was engaged to Genevieve Cargol and tried to pull her engagement ring off her finger back in 1999. When asked if he had ever put his hands on a woman in anger since that moment, he said, "No sir."

He admitted to the infidelity with Carroll Anne Sowerboy - someone he knew from camp days back at Brevard - the month before Michelle was killed.

And he addressed his relationship with Michelle Money.

“Michelle Money and I, as she described, confided a lot in each other….. It led to an intimate relationship between the two of us," he said. "And I know for a fact that Michelle Money loves her family, loves her boys and loved her husband.”

He insisted he had no plans to leave his wife for Money.

"We really knew we had to stop," he testifed.

He admitted, as Josh Dalton testified, that he said on the way to Shelly Schaad's wedding that he was "done" with Michelle. He said he was frustrated with his wife after a long series of arguments that day with Michelle.

His attorney asked, Did you say that? "Yes I did."

Did you mean it?

"No sir. I was very upset," he testified.

9:25 a.m., previewing today: Wednesday could be the final day of testimony in the Jason Young trial. The events have moved quickly, especially for a first-degree murder trial, with Judge Donald Stephens holding lawyers to a tight, efficient timeline.

The defense has not called a great deal of witnesses. Remember, their first witness was Pat Young, mother of Jason, and she initially testified on Monday.

Judge Stephens said Tuesday there were no more than two more witnesses, so today could see the closing arguments on both sides. After that, of course, the trial goes to the jury.
http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/jun/22/54/jason-young-trial-testimony-likely-conclude-today-ar-1143783/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:10 am

RALEIGH -- Jason Young waited 1,693 days to give his account of where he was and what he was doing the hours before and after his wife was killed to anyone other than his attorneys.

Now the 37-year-old medical software salesman must wait as seven men and five women deliberate whether he is guilty or innocent of murdering his wife, Michelle, on Nov. 3, 2006.

The jury is to resume deliberations today.

Before the jury got the case midafternoon Thursday, prosecutors and defense attorneys laid out arguments in four hours, two for each side. Each urged jurors to look at circumstances and consider whether they made sense.

The defense argued that the prosecution's timeline did not make sense, and much of its evidence played to its theory that the homicide remained unsolved.

Prosecutors argued that Young had not acted as an innocent man would, that he refused to talk with investigators, never asked about their theories or uttered a word about his whereabouts to family and friends.

Young, in an unusual move, took the stand Wednesday.

When asked whether he murdered his wife, he offered an emphatic "No sir, I did not." He also testified that he did not know what happened to his wife.

"We will never know what happened at 5108 Birchleaf Drive that night," defense attorney Bryan Collins said. "This case is not solved. The evidence is not clear."

Jurors were instructed to decide whether Young is guilty or innocent of first-degree murder and to decide whether there was evidence that he acted in concert with others to commit the crime.

Prosecutors contend that Young brutally and fatally bludgeoned his wife with a weapon that never was recovered. They argue that he drove from a Virginia hotel, nearly 160 miles from Raleigh, shortly after midnight on Nov. 3, killed his wife and returned to Virginia.

The medical examiner testified that Michelle Young's facial bones were fractured, her lips were split and her teeth were broken. She suffered at least 30 blows and had defensive wounds.

Defense attorneys reminded jurors in closing arguments that two days after the homicide, the only sign of injury that investigators found on Jason Young was a bruise on his left big toenail.

No blood was found in Young's white Ford Explorer. No blood was found on his luggage. No blood was found in the Hampton Inn room booked under his name. Klinkosum argued that Young would not have had time to do what prosecutors contended and not have been bloodied.

Was it a plot?

Prosecutors contended that Jason Young plotted to kill his wife.

But Klinkosum pointed out that Young talked to family and friends from his cell phone on Nov. 2 while traveling to Hillsville, Va., and no one reported any oddities in those conversations.

During one call, Young and a college buddy talked about heat pump warranties, sports and tailgating. "It's regular Jason who's out there freewheeling and wanting to have fun," Klinkosum said.

Klinkosum reminded jurors of evidence indicating that others might have been in the Young house - two cigarette butts with DNA from men never identified, a hair on a wedding frame, a jewelry box that had a mixture of DNA that matched neither of the Youngs and an unidentified print on the cap of a Tylenol bottle found in Cassidy Young's bedroom.

Prosecutors contend that Young drugged his daughter so she would sleep through the violence. The defense argued that someone had to clean up Cassidy Young after the killing and Jason Young would not have had time.

Cassidy, just 2 at the time of her mother's death, tracked bloody sock prints from her parents' bedroom to her bathroom down the hall. Yet when Meredith Fisher, the girl's aunt, found her at the crime scene, she had no blood on her pajamas or bare feet.

Activity at the hotel

Prosecutors contend Young disabled a security camera at the Hampton Inn so he could leave and return undetected.

But Klinkosum pointed out that Jason Young went into the hotel lobby shortly before midnight, no hat on, no coat pulled up around his face, asked a clerk for a USA Today and then went down the hall where a security camera was.

"If he's such a genius to pull off a murder like this why does he go back to the front desk?" Klinkosum said.

A convenience store clerk in King, about an hour south of Hillsville, Va., testified that Young bought gas from her at 5:30 a.m. Nov. 3. But the defendant said he was not there. Young and his attorneys argue that her early descriptions of the man did not match Young; that she had been influenced by a photo investigators showed her.

Character points

Young was a lousy husband, his attorneys acknowledged, cheating on his wife and acting immaturely.

"The state is stringing together a bunch of innocuous events and trying to tell you they mean something," Bryan Collins said.

"He has acted like an immature jerk," Klinkosum added. "They want you to convict him based on the fact that you don't like him."

Assistant District Attorney David Saacks argued that absence of evidence at the crime scene was "not evidence of absence." He urged jurors to consider the testimony from family and friends, the state of Young's marriage and his extramarital trysts in the weeks before his wife's death.

Investigators found evidence of his DNA on a palm print on molding of the bedroom closet door, but defense attorneys argued it would be common to find Young's DNA or prints in his home.

Investigators found two shoe prints - one made by a size 12 Hush Puppies shoe and another made by a size 10 Franklin athletic shoe. Young testified that although he had a pair of size 12 Hush Puppies, he thought his wife had either thrown them away or given them to charity.

He said he never bought Franklin athletic shoes.

"There's no one thing that we're going to tell you and show you and bring to you that's going to say the defendant is the killer," Saacks said. "It's all of it. It's the totality of it. There's too much pointing to the defendant to think otherwise, (to think) that it couldn't be the defendant."

Becky Holt, the lead prosecutor, urged jurors to look critically at Young's actions. He waited until Wednesday, 1,693 days after his wife's death, to say what he was up to in the hours before and after the homicide. Young said he was following the advice of an attorney. But Holt questioned why he had not talked with family or friends or asked investigators their theories of what happened to the spouse he professed to love.

"These aren't normal human reactions," Holt said. "Tell Jason Young by your verdict that you're not buying what he's trying to sell. Tell Jason Young that his story, and his tears on the witness stand, are too little too late."

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06/24/1296744/young-is-defiant-no-sir-i-did.html?tab=gallery&gallery=/2011/06/22/1293071/jason-young-testifies-062211.html&gid_index=2#ixzz1QBe3qaJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:00 am

It seems like no one gets the DP anymore.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Mistrial declared in Michelle Young's beating death

RALEIGH, N.C. — A deadlocked jury prompted a Superior Court judge on Monday to declare a mistrial in the first-degree murder trial of Jason Young, a Raleigh man accused of beating to death his pregnant wife, Michelle Young, more than four years ago.

After deliberating for about two hours Monday morning, the jury foreman sent a note to Judge Donald Stephens saying the seven men and five women were at an impasse and "immovably hung" at a 6-6 verdict vote.
continue reading at:
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:15 pm

What??? over reaction
Thank you for posting this raine. I was just getting ready to check for an update.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:17 pm

BTW the article went on to say
In March 2009, Stephens awarded Michelle Young's family $15.5 million in damages in a wrongful death lawsuit. Jason Young never responded to the complaint.

A month earlier, in February 2009, Jason Young reached an agreement with his wife's sister, giving her primary custody of Cassidy, now 7. Part of that agreement stipulated that he would not have to answer any questions under oath or give a deposition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Unreal!!! over reaction

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 pm

State paints Jason Young marriage as troubled

RALEIGH, N.C. — Prosecutors getting their second chance to try a Raleigh man on a first-degree murder charge in the brutal beating death of his pregnant wife, Michelle Young, described his marriage as being in trouble in the weeks and months prior to her killing.

Jason Young's first trial ended in a mistrial last June after a jury failed to reach a unanimous verdict in the case.

During her opening statement Monday morning, Wake County Assistant District Attorney Becky Holt told jurors that those marital problems, in part, stemmed from Jason Young, 37, not being ready for a life that included two children, and that had become an increasing source of friction between the couple.

Michelle Young, 29, "wanted the white picket fence, the home, the family" – an idea to which her husband was resistant, Holt said.

"He was the free spirit. The adventure lover. The irresponsible. The immature. The life of the party. The jokester. The salesman," she said.

"According to friends and family members, he was stuck in the college life," she continued. "He would go to parties. He would get drunk … He wanted to do things with the guys."

There were also other problems in the marriage.

Tension between Jason Young and his mother-in-law was often the source of conflict as the couple prepared for the birth of their second child, Rylan.

Michelle Young had talked about her mother moving in with them to help care for the children, but Jason Young adamantly opposed the idea, Michelle Young's sister, Meredith Fisher testified.

"It was strained, at best," Fisher said of the relationship between her mother and brother-in-law. "They did not get along. He did not want her in the house."

Fisher testified that she often served as an intermediary between her sister and Jason Young, sitting with them to get them to talk about their marriage and their issues.

"Just a little fight would turn into silent treatment for days. They didn't know how to get along," she said. "I can think of more times that they fought than they got along."

Jason Young also complained about a lack of sex in the couple's marriage, Fisher testified, and Holt said he had been having an affair with his wife's sorority sister.

Two months before his wife's death, she said, he had reached out to an old girlfriend in an email in which he described her as the love of his life.

Two days before her death, Holt said, Michelle Young confided to her sister about a fight in which her husband had thrown the TV remote control at her and was giving her the silent treatment.

"She told Meredith, 'I'm done,'" Holt said.

It was on Nov. 3, 2006, that Fisher found her sister in a pool of blood in the master bedroom of the couple's home.

"It was a brutal, personal beating," Holt said.

Michelle Young suffered at least 30 distinct blows to her head, and an autopsy revealed that someone had also tried to strangle her.

Cassidy Young, the Youngs' 2-year-old daughter, was hiding beneath the covers of her parents' bed.

"(Fisher) found little footprints by Michelle Young who lay facedown on the floor of her bedroom. Little footprints in blood around Michelle's head," Holt said. "She found baby dolls – a baby doll by Michelle's head, another baby doll in the bed. A blanket. And she heard Cassidy say, 'Mommy got boo boos.'"

There were no signs of forced entry. Aside from Michelle Young's wedding rings and two drawers from a jewelry box in the bedroom, there was nothing missing from the home.

The state contends that Jason Young, a medical software salesman at the time, had left for Hillsville, Va., on the night of Nov. 2 and checked into a Hampton Inn hotel but drove back to Raleigh to kill his wife.

He never asked about the murder investigation and never talked about the case. He refused to answer questions from investigators, family and friends. In fact, Holt said, he gave up custody of his daughter and defaulted on a wrongful death lawsuit to keep from doing so.

Jason Young finally spoke, she said, 1,693 days later, when he testified in his first trial – a move some attorneys say likely played into the jury being unable to reach a verdict – and it's evidence that Holt said jurors in his second trial will get to hear.

During the defense's opening statement, attorney Mike Klinkosum didn't dispute the state's claims about the Youngs’ marriage but said Jason Young did not kill his wife and that prosecutors weren't telling the whole story.

"I am not here to tell you that he was a good husband. He was far from it," he said. "You are going to hear about sexist remarks, juvenile behavior. You are going to hear that he acted like an obnoxious jerk."

The state's case, he said, although full of emotional evidence, lacks any physical evidence tying Jason Young to the crime.

"This puzzle that the prosecution talked to you about – Jason does not fit into it," he said.

There were DNA and fingerprints in the home, including evidence from the jewelry box, that match neither Jason Young, his wife nor more than 100 other people associated with the case.

There were bloody shoe prints, Klinkosum said, that the state could not definitively link to Jason Young, and there was no blood found in the downstairs of the couple's house or in Jason Young's SUV.

"Jason Young did not kill Michelle Young," he said. "He did not kill their unborn son, and this case has not been solved, ever."

This trial in on "In Session" as I type.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:55 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Live Footage of Trial..also on In Session!!

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:59 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:34 am

RALEIGH -- A Wake County investigator testified Thursday during the Jason Young murder trial that he called Raleigh-Durham International Airport during his investigation to find out whether any small planes had landed Nov. 3, 2006, from southwestern Virginia.

Brent David's testimony came on a day that defense attorneys tried to poke holes in the prosecution's theory that Young, 37, a medical software salesman, left a Virginia hotel shortly before midnight Nov. 2, 2006, made a 160-mile trip back to Wake County, then bludgeoned his wife, cleaned himself up and returned to Virginia to make business calls later that day.

David testified on cross-examination that he turned up no records of Young landing at the airport early Nov. 3. But he added that the airport "didn't keep any records of small planes."

Before the detective took the stand in the second trial of Young (the first ended with a jury hung 8-4 for acquittal), the state's one eyewitness who prosecutors say can link Young to that route between Raleigh and Virginia testified that she has been having memory problems since 2006.

Gracie Calhoun, who has also been called Gracie Bailey and Gracie Dahms during hearings related to the Young case, was a gas station clerk working the third shift Nov. 3 in King, a small Stokes County town about 45 minutes south of Hillsville, Va., where Young checked into a Hampton Inn.

Calhoun has been in two marriages since Michelle Young was found bludgeoned to death in the master bedroom of her Wake home, hence the name changes.

On Thursday, the day after Calhoun pointed to Jason Young in the courtroom and identified him as a man she sold gas to at 5:30 a.m. Nov. 3, defense attorneys cross-examined her about a head-trauma injury she suffered after being struck by a delivery truck when she was 6 years old.

Calhoun said she chased a ball into the street and can only rely on what others have told her to piece together what happened next.

"I don't know exactly what happened," she said Thursday. "I was told by my parents that when I got hit my brain was laid out in the street."

Testimony from Calhoun is crucial to the prosecution's contention that Young left the Hampton Inn shortly after midnight, made the estimated three-hour drive home, and then returned to the hotel before dawn.

On Thursday, in response to a question from defense attorney Mike Klinkosum, Calhoun said, "I've had memory problems since '06 because I've been through a lot with myself, my kids and my husband."

But when Assistant District Attorney Becky Holt asked Calhoun again Thursday whether Young was the man she sold gas to, she said he had left a lasting impression.

Memorable customer

Calhoun said when she worked the third shift at the Four Brothers Food Store alone, she often set the gas pumps so customers paying with cash had to come inside before filling up. Her practice was to tell customers who weren't regulars they could either pay in cash at the register or leave a credit card or photo ID with her before she would start the pump. That way, she said, she could prevent a "gas and go," a theft she would have to pay for personally.

Calhoun said Young came into the store irritated that the pumps were off, threw down $20 and huffed out, pumping gas and driving off toward U.S. 52. "It was still fresh in my memory of what happened that night," Calhoun said. "I don't forget nothing like that when someone fusses at me or cusses at me or something like that."

Dr. Thomas Clark, the medical examiner who did the autopsy of Michelle Young, testified Thursday that she had so many wounds that he categorized them in his report.

Clark, a former deputy chief medical examiner for the state, said Young died from blunt force injury to the head. He also said there were signs of strangulation. Not only was there bruising to her neck area, Clark said, there also was evidence that Young scratched her neck while trying to move someone's hand away.

"There had to be at least 30 distinct blows, and there may have been more considering all of the injuries, including the hands," Clark said.

Extent of injuries

There was no sign of pneumonia in Young's lungs, Clark said, causing him to conclude that she did not languish, that she died quickly after her injuries.

Many of the injuries, Clark theorized, could have been caused by a heavy blunt object, likely with a rounded surface.

Defense attorney Bryan Collins asked Clark on cross-examination whether some of the injuries also could have been caused by a fist, particularly the blow that split open her lip and knocked out teeth.

Clark said he suspected the injury was caused by more than one blow by a fist to the lip, but it could have been one.

Howard Cummings, the chief assistant district attorney, asked whether the fist could have been gloved. Clark said he had no opinion on that.

Defense attorneys contend that Michelle Young's homicide is not solved, that DNA evidence not linked to Jason Young or any people tested as part of the investigation shows others were in the house. Jason Young had no bruises or scrapes in a full scan of his body by investigators hours after his wife's body was found. Defense attorneys said the prosecutors' theory does not make sense, that Young did not have time to do what they contended.

Read more here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:36 am

RALEIGH, N.C. — The sister of Michelle Young testified in her former brother-in-law's murder trial Tuesday that she went back and forth between him and sheriff's investigators, urging him to speak to them the night his wife's body was found in the couple's Wake County home.

But Jason Young never did.

MORE INFO

Full coverage: Michelle Young murder case

"(I told investigators) that he wanted to have an attorney before he would speak to them," Meredith Fisher said.

Expected to take the stand for a third day Wednesday in Jason Young's retrial, Fisher said Young and some of his family members had just arrived at her Fuquay-Varina home after a business trip on the evening of Nov. 3, 2006, when police knocked on her door.

"They wanted to talk to us. They wanted to talk to Jason – to ask questions," Fisher told Wake County Assistant District Attorney Becky Holt.

"What was your response?" Holt asked.

"Ask away," Fisher said.

But Jason Young did not want to, she said. He had been in the bedroom with his sleeping 2-year-old daughter, whom Fisher found earlier that day hiding beneath the covers of her father's bed while her pregnant mother lay dead in a pool of blood on the floor.

"I went back in my bedroom and told him that police were there and wanted to talk to him. He stayed in the bedroom and said, 'No,'" Fisher said. "I went back to the police and said, 'He said no.'"

The back-and-forth went on for some time, she recalled. At one point, she said, the two were on the back porch of Fisher's house talking about what had happened that day.

"We hugged at a point," she said, adding that Jason appeared to be sobbing. "When he pulled away, his face wasn't wet. His eyes weren't bloodshot. I did not see one tear … I left with a bad taste in my mouth after that conversation."

Holt said in opening statements on Monday that Jason Young, even after he got an attorney, never talked to investigators, family or friends about his wife's death and never asked about how the investigation was progressing.

In fact, Holt said, he gave up custody of his daughter to Fisher and defaulted on a wrongful death lawsuit to keep from having to answer questions.

The state claims that Jason Young traveled to Virginia on the night of Nov. 2, 2006, checked into a hotel and left about an hour later left through an emergency exit that he left propped open. He returned home, killed his wife, and drove through the night back to the hotel.

Jason Young finally talked about what he was doing during his hotel stay, Holt said, when he took the stand June 22, 2011, during his first murder trial – a move that some legal experts say contributed to the hung jury that forced a judge to declare a mistrial.

"He answered those questions 1,693 days after his wife's murder. When he answered those questions, what he said was that he did not kill his wife and that when he went outside the hotel, it was for the purpose of smoking a cigar," Holt told jurors. "(After 1,693 days), that is what he tells. How in any way would that have been incriminating?"

Jason Young's defense attorneys say that despite there being no physical evidence linking him to the crime, that investigators "focused on him like a laser" and that because the case "got blown up in the media," that their client "simply shut down and kept to himself."

"He didn't talk to anybody," attorney Mike Klinkosum said during opening statements. "He followed his lawyer's advice."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:36 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:16 pm

PUBLISHED MON, FEB 13, 2012 01:33 PM
MODIFIED MON, FEB 13, 2012 06:31 PM
Investigator details scene of Michelle Young's murder

RALEIGH -- A crime scene investigator has been on the stand in the retrial of Jason Young this morning talking about video, photographs and observations that were made in the hours after Michelle Young was found bludgeoned to death in her home.

Michael Galloway, an investigations supervisor for the City-County Bureau of Investigation, an evidence-collecting organization for law enforcement agencies in Wake County, described a bloody scene.

After one week of testimony in which prosecutors brought forward family and friends to describe a tension and friction between Jason and Michelle Young, the second week started with the forensic side of the case.

Galloway gave a narrative for video taken inside the Youngs' Wake County home the afternoon Michelle Young was reported dead.

Investigators theorized the door of the bedroom closet that Michelle Young was found by was closed when she was killed, prosecutor Becky Holt pointed out. Then her body was moved and the closet door was open when crime scene investigators got to the scene, prosecutors contend.

Young, 37, is accused of murdering his wife early on Nov. 3, 2006, then leaving her and their toddler daughter in their home in the Enchanted Oaks neighborhood just south of Raleigh.

Investigators said they found a hose with water running in the backyard. They found blood in the bed, on the floors and on the walls of the master bedroom.

There were bloody footprints, believed to be those of a small, sock-footed child, tracked from the bedroom to a bathroom down the hall.

Michelle Young was beaten so badly, Galloway said, investigators found teeth knocked from her mouth under her body, under a pillow and on the floor around her.

"I found her face to be horrific," Galloway said.

Young, who testified in the summer during a trial that ended with the jury deadlocked 8-4 for acquittal, has said he did not kill his wife. He also testified that he had nothing to do with her death.

Prosecutors contend he left a Virginia hotel at about midnight, made a three-hour drive home, killed his wife and then returned to Virginia for business.

Defense attorneys describe the prosecution's theory as one that does not make sense. They argue that Jason Young did not have any bruises or scrapes on him a short time after such a brutal beating. They also argue that investigators found no blood in Young's white Ford Explorer.

Read more here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Must-See!!

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:46 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:59 pm

RALEIGH, N.C. --
NBC17.com is live blogging the Jason Young murder trial. Here is Wednesday’s testimony.

12:41 p.m.: Agent Russ Holley, whose expertise is bodily fluids, tested sheetrock from part of the wall, found blood and a fingerprint.

He also examined some of Cassidy's clothes for evidence of blood. In the middle of his testimony, court broke for lunch.

11:48 a.m.: Jennifer Remy of the North Carolina State Crime Laboratory, an expert in hair and fiber analysis, just testified.

Remy testified that she found a hair in Michelle Young's left hand that had been "forcibly removed" from someone's head.

And she found some hair underneath Michelle's body as well. That also had been forcibly removed from someone. Remy said that human hair has three parts in its life span, the early part is when it has to be pulled out. Older part can just fall out, but that was not the case in the samples she found.

But those hairs, she said, did not match those of Jason Young.

Defense attorney Mike Klinkosum pressed that point in his cross-examination. He pointed out that she had made multiple "trace tape samples" in the Youngs' bedroom.

"In all that, you found no transfer of fiber from the Hampton Inn in Virginia [to the bedroom]," Klinkosum asked.

She said that was correct.

And, Klinkosum said, she testified that she did not find hair consistent with Jason Young's.

"That means they don't match him?"

"Yes," she said.

The defense is obviously using that as evidence that some other than Jason Young killed Michelle.

11:09 a.m.: Cross examination of Eddie McCormack from defense attorney Bryan Collins focused on the details of the testimony. Collins pointed out one correction - a call on Nov. 2 at 10:32 p.m. was actually made to Michelle Money, and not to the home at Birchleaf Drive.

9:52 a.m.: The Jason Young trial is back underway on Wednesday, with prosecutor Howard Cummings going over Young’s cell phone records with a witness.

“I created a map … with where those towers were located. … and I plotted every single phone call Mr Young made,” the witness said.

The phone calls show how Jason Young was travelling from Greensboro through Winston-Salem and up toward Hillsville, Va., on Nov. 2, 2006.

He had two phone calls with Michelle Money, a sorority sister of Michelle Young with whom he had an affair.

He got a call from Birchleaf Drive - presumably Michelle Young - at 10:32 p.m. and then called back and had a 6-minute conversation.

What's interesting is He had a conversation with Michelle Young around 11 p.m. and then called Money at 11:06 p.m. - in other words, right after hanging up with his wife, he called Money.

His last phone call on Nov. 2, 2006 was for 1 minute, 54 seconds at 11:42 p.m., when he talked to Money.

He also had more calls with Money the following morning in Virginia, north of Hillsville and heading to Clintwood, Va., for an appointment.

He also called Michelle Young's work phone at 12:02 p.m. on Nov. 3, 2006.

He then called his mother's home four times in a row and then calls Pat Young on her cell phone.

"That seems like a panicky call - 'I need her,'" the witness testified.

Summarizing, the witness said, "In my opinion, it would be, I need to get ahold of somebody."

He called Meredith Fisher at 12:10 p.m. - that's the call apparently where he asks her to go check on the Coach bag paperwork.

And at 12:13 p.m., he places yet another call to Money.

At 12:16, he called his mother again, followed by a call at 12:17 to Michelle Young's cell phone.

Multiple calls follow, to friends and to Pat Young's home and to Meredith Fisher.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal 3 Separate Videos of Todays Trial of Jason Young.

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:24 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum