Jason Young won't face death penalty in beating death of his wife Michelle Fisher Young/Second trial for first degree murder going on now/Convicted, First Degree Murder!/TO BE FEATURED ON DATELINE TONIGHT 3-30

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal 3 Separate Videos of Todays Trial of Jason Young.

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Jason Young won't face death penalty in beating death of his wife Michelle Fisher Young/Second trial for first degree murder going on now/Convicted, First Degree Murder!/TO BE FEATURED ON DATELINE TONIGHT 3-30

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Jason Young won't face death penalty in beating death of his wife Michelle Fisher Young/Second trial for first degree murder going on now/Convicted, First Degree Murder!/TO BE FEATURED ON DATELINE TONIGHT 3-30

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Jason Young is standing trial for the murder of his wife Michelle. Michelle Young was pregnant at the time of her death.

Michelle Young lost her first unborn baby after an accident, which cause the baby to die in utero. When she became pregnant for the second time, her husband Jason pressured her to abort the baby. His refusal to accept his wife’s pregnancy put a strain on their marriage, but they stayed together after baby Cassidy was born in 2004.

When Michelle Young got pregnant for third time in 2006, Jason increased the pressure. Family members, such as Michelle Young’s mother and her best friend Linda Fisher took the stand and described how Jason had harassed his wife in the time leading up to the murder, insisting she have an abortion. Michelle, who was looking forward to a second child, refused.

On November 3, 2006, Michelle Young was found beaten and strangled to death in her home. She was 29. Suspicion quickly fell upon Jason, but his first trial ended in a hung jury. He is now being tried again at a courthouse in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Linda Fisher described her friend as being a “great mother” to her living daughter, and told the jury that she had been so happy to be pregnant despite the friction with Jason.

Jason Young faces life in prison if he’s convicted of the murder.

Earlier this year, in Broward County, Florida, a man has been convicted of two counts of murder for killing a pregnant woman and her unborn baby. The court determined that Edward Jermaine Babbs killed Stephanie Rabsatt by shooting her in the abdomen and head on Oct.1, 2009. Rabsatt was almost 8 months pregnant with a son, who she had named Jayden. Babbs, who was the baby’s father, had been pressuring her to abort. Her refusal to have an abortion and the imminent birth of her son was what triggered the murder, according to police.

Rasblatts’ family was in the courtroom when Babbs was sentenced to life in prison. They tearfully told reporters that they felt justice had been done but that the grief of losing their loved ones would never go away.

“She was a brilliant child,” Rabsatt’s mother, Karen Moore, said after the verdict was revealed, “She was loving and kind, and she loved her baby.”

Also this year, a man who killed his pregnant girlfriend on her due date after she refused an abortion has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for the crime.

On November 8, 2011, LifeNews covered the tragic death of Niasha Delain, 25, who was brutally stabbed on the day she was supposed to give birth to a son. The stabbing, which was described by the prosecutor as “a crime of almost unimaginable viciousness” took place in October of 2008.

The convicted murderer, Derrick Reed, had been pressuring Delain to have an abortion for months, according to her friends and family and police. Under current law, Reid could only be charged with one murder despite the death of Delain’s full term son. The baby, who could easily have survived outside the womb, was to have been named Aidan by his mother.

Delain’s mother, Towanda Wimms, has urged state lawmakers to make it a crime to take the life of an unborn child during the commission of a homicide.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:01 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:40 am

RALEIGH – Testimony in the Jason Young murder trial Wednesday focused on tracing his steps the night before his wife was found murdered.

Young's pregnant wife, Michelle, was found beaten to death almost six years ago.

An expert in hair and fiber analysis says there was hair in Michelle Young's hand the day she was found brutally beaten to death in her Wake County home. It didn't belong to Jason.

“It's a Caucasian head hair it's about 22.5 centimeters long and as I said again, not consistent with the head hair of Mr. Young,” said Jennifer Remy, hair and fiber analyst.

The defense also said there was not a trail between the couple's home in Wake County and the hotel Jason Young was staying at in Virginia.

“You found no transfer of fiber from the Hampton Inn in Virginia to the home at 5108 Birchleaf correct?” a defense attorney asked.

“Right, I looked at the carpet from the hotel and did not find any transfer,” said Remy.

Young has testified he slept at a Virginia hotel the night Michelle was murdered.

Also on the stand Wednesday, a now-undercover investigator, who created a trail of where Jason Young had been the evening before Michelle was discovered, based on calls to and from his cell phone.

Jason's last call was made around 11:45 p.m. The next day, before Michelle was found, Young made numerous calls to his mother, which the investigator said means something.

“That seems like somewhat of a panicky call, like, 'I need her, obviously I need to get a hold of this person.' It would be important because he's calling her and calling her and calling her,” the investigator said.

Based on his cell phone records, it appears Jason Young was in close contact with his mistress, who is a former sorority sister of his wife. She is expected to testify in this trial.

video at above link.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:51 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Daycare workers testify in Young trial

Updated at 11:03 AM today

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Two daycare workers told jurors that Jason and Michelle Young's 2-year-old daughter Cassidy behaved differently when she returned after her mother was murdered.

Brooke Bass and Sheley Palmatier said Cassidy came back to daycare the week after Michelle Young was found beaten to death in her south Raleigh home on Nov. 3. 2006. Cassidy was found in a bed next to the body. She was unharmed.

Investigators said it appeared the child was left with the bloody corpse for hours and her bloody footprints were tracked throughout the upstairs of the home on Birchleaf Drive.

On the witness stand, the women said Cassidy was normally a social child, but when she returned, she was more withdrawn.

Bass recounted an incident where Cassidy was playing by herself with dolls at a table on the back porch of the daycare.

"I saw her kinda hitting them together," said Bass.

Palmatier said she approached Cassidy and asked her what she was doing.

"'Mommy is getting a spanking. Mommy has red stuff all over. Mommy has boo-boos all over,'" Palmatier said Cassidy told her.

Palmatier said Cassidy placed the mommy doll face down on a bed in a dollhouse she was playing with.

On cross-examination, Young's attorney Mike Klinkosum asked Palmatier: "She never identified who the doll was?"

Palmatier said Cassidy did not.

Jason Young is on trial for the second time in the death of his wife. The 29-year-old was pregnant with the couple's second child when she died.

Bass said she spoke with Young about the pregnancy after his wife's death, and he explained why he agreed to have a second child.

"[He said it was the] only way he could get Michelle to have sex with him," said Bass.

Other witnesses in the trial have testified that Young complained regularly and publically about his sex life with Michelle. Last week, two women testified that they had affairs with him in the weeks leading up to the murder.

Young's defense objected to allowing the daycare workers to testify. Wake Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens instructed the jury that they could only use the testimony to determine if Cassidy witnessed the murder, but not the identity of the killer.

Prosecutors allege Jason returned from a business trip in Virginia in the middle of the night to kill his wife and then secretly returned to his hotel room in Hillsville. Young maintains he never left the hotel.

The prosecution has painted Young as an immature man who fought frequently with his wife and had multiple affairs. It alleges he tampered with a surveillance camera at his hotel and was spotted by a gas station clerk buying gas between Hillsville and Raleigh.

It's not clear if Young plans to testify in his own defense as he did in his first trial. The first ended with a hung jury last June. At his first trial, Young took the witness stand and admitted he and Michelle were having problems, but said he was working on his marriage and didn't kill his wife.

The trial is expected to last several more weeks.

How Horrifying for that little one!!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Lead detective testifies in Jason Young retrial

RALEIGH, N.C. — The lead detective investigating the slaying of Michelle Young took the stand Tuesday in her husband's second murder trial, detailing for jurors aspects of the nearly 5-year-old murder case.

Young, 29, was five months’ pregnant when she was found beaten to death in her Wake County home on Nov. 3, 2006.

Jason Young, a medical software salesman, has said he was out of town on business at the time and has denied any involvement in his wife’s death. He first went to trial last summer, but a jury failed to reach a unanimous verdict.

Sgt. Richard Spivey of the Wake County Sheriff’s Office spent the morning going through surveillance videos, receipts and phone records that laid out the prosecution’s timeline of Jason Young's activity immediately before and after Michelle Young's death.

Jason Young checked into a Hampton Inn in Hillsville, Va., 169 miles from his home at 5108 Birchleaf Drive, shortly before 11 p.m. on Nov. 2, 2006, after stopping for gasoline in Raleigh and dinner at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Greensboro, Spivey said.

He was wearing a light-colored sweater, jeans and a pair of brown slip-on casual shoes, based on surveillance video, when he checked into the Hampton Inn, but he appeared to be wearing a darker shirt with a stripe across the chest on hotel video shortly before midnight.

Prosecutors contend that Jason Young then left the hotel through an emergency exit in the west-end stairwell that he left propped open and drove approximately 2.5 to 3 hours to his home and brutally beat his wife to death.

A Hampton Inn employee has testified to finding a landscaping rock in the door and a security camera in the stairwell unplugged. Spivey said security video showed a black screen from approximately 11:20 p.m. on Nov. 2, 2006, until around 5:50 a.m. the next day, when a hotel maintenance employee reconnected the camera.

After killing his wife, the state has said, Jason Young returned to Virginia, stopping along the way at Four Brothers Food Mart in King, N.C., where he paid $20 for gasoline but only purchased $15 worth. Receipts at the store confirmed a $15 cash purchase for gasoline at 5:27 a.m. and a $20 cash purchase at 5:36 a.m., Spivey said.

He then drove back to the hotel and continued on with his trip to a hospital in Clintwood, Va., arriving about 30 minutes late.

Spivey said further review of the security video from the west-end stairwell showed that the camera was pointed toward the ceiling at approximately 6:37 a.m.

Defense attorneys contend that Jason Young did not kill his wife and that there is no physical evidence linking him to the crime. They also insist that he could not have committed the crime based on the state's time line.

If convicted, Jason Young faces life in prison without the possibility of parole. He is out of jail on a $900,000 secured bond.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 am

Jury hears Jason Young recall learning of Michelle's death

Jason Young from the first trial, as shown to the jury Feb. 22, 2012.

Full coverage: Jason Young murder trial
By: DANE HUFFMAN | NBC17.com
Published: February 22, 2012

RALEIGH, N.C. --
NBC17.com is live blogging the Jason Young murder trial in Wake County Superior Court. Here is Wednesday's coverage.

10:41 a.m.: Becky Holt's follow-up with Jason Young had some tough questioning, about whether he truly loved his wife while he was having affairs with other women.

But while that was emotional, some other parts of Jason's initial testimony may prove more significant on the re-trial.

For example, she asked about his opposition to smoking, which was well-known, and yet he claims he smoked a cigar the night Michelle was murdered.

"Yes ma’am, absolutely," he said when asked about being opposed to smoking. "Cigarette smoking I think is very bad."

He denied that he had ever punched a hole in his apartment after a fight with Genevieve Cargol, as she had testified.

9:52 a.m.: The prosecution continued with its strategy of showing the jury testimony from the first trial on Wednesday as the second jury saw Jason Young recall how he learned about the death of Michelle Young.

Jason testified that he had returned to his mother’s home in Brevard, and Pat Young and her husband Gerald came to see him outside the house.

“They were kind of holding each other and walking toward the car,” he said. “You can tell when your mom is upset.”

His father told him Michelle was dead, he testified.

“I just … I just fell. I broke on the inside. I didn’t believe it. It just didn’t feel real. It didn’t feel like it was happening. I didn’t understand it,” he said, with tears welling up and dropping his head.

Jason said he was told by friends that the police were asking about him, and that an investigator had been "ugly" to his mother, demanding that Jason return to Raleigh.

“I didn’t understand that," he testified.

He said his friends told him investigators were asking them hard questions about him.

“They said they were asking really ugly questions and pointing their finger at me,” he

testified. “They told you need to get a layer – ‘You don’t need to talk to anybody, you need to get a lawyer before you talk to anybody.”

Jason testified that he did that and met with a lawyer the next Monday or Tuesday.

“The lawyer that I got, he advised me to not go talk to the police,” Jason said.

Did the lawyer tell you not to talk to anybody?

"That’s exactly what he said – don’t talk to anybody about anything," he said. "That meant my mom, my sister, my family, my friends. I took his advice.”

He confirmed that he had bought a pair of Hush Puppy shoes but they didn't hold up and he thought Michelle had gotten rid of them. He also said he had not bought athletic shoes - the Franklin brand that has been brought up - at a Family Dollar store.

Jason was highly involved in sports, playing basketball with his friends, and said, "Actually, that's where I would not be cheap."

Jason, again, closed the questions from defense attorney Bryan Collins by insisting he did not kill his wife.

He said he did not know why someone would want to kill her, did not go to the house to strangle her, did not hit her on the head.

Asked directly if he had anything to do with killing her, he said, "No sir."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:57 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Published: February 24, 2012

RALEIGH, N.C. --
The murder trial of Jason Young resumed Friday, with the state calling its last witness and expected to rest its case. Here is NBC-17's live blog of events.

11:21 a.m.: The defense and prosecution sparred over the final witness for the state as Raleigh attorney Michael Schilawski explained what he did for Meredith Fisher and Linda Fisher to establish communication with Cassidy, their granddaughter and niece.

He said that Jason Young's attorneys told him Jason had agreed to a visit with Cassidy in October of 2008, and that Jason was willing to let them see Cassidy but did not want to have a written agreement.

Schilawski said the Fishers wanted a written contract and pushed for that.

"My clients clearly wanted to have some sort of written understanding," he said.

So they filed a lawsuit, asking for a psychological evaluation of Jason Young and the chance to depose Jason.

"I would have asked him whether or not he brutally murdered his wife," Schilawski testified. "Anything and everything I could have discovered."

Schilawski and the Fishers were gearing up for a custody battle, asking only for written visitation rights, when, instead, a lawyer for Jason Young said he was willing to give custody to Meredith.

Defense attorney Bryan Collins, on cross examination, pointed out Schilawski's credentials, which brought some humorous moments in an otherwise grim trial.

Collins asked where he went to law school, and Schilawski said Campbell. Collins pointed out that Schilawski was the editor of the law review, and Campbell modestly said that was true.

You have to be a pretty good law student to do that, right?

"Depends on your competition, I guess," Schilawski said the courtroom laughed.

Collins did have a point to make, however. He asked Schilawski's rate, which is now $325 an hour. And Collins asked about the enormous cost of fighting a custody battle.

But Howard Cummings, the prosecutor, followed up with a strong point. He mentioned that the Fishers weren't asking for a battle, just a written agreement to see Cassidy.

“This idea of a full-blown custody battle, that could have avoided if he had just signed that one document so that the custody would have been in writing," he said.

"Correct," said Schilawski.

The state will show the jury evidence now. After the jury sees that evidence, the state is expected to rest its case.

The defense expects to have four days of witnesses and will start its case on Monday.

10:12 a.m.: The state of North Carolina called its last witness Friday in the case against Jason Young, putting on the stand the lawyer for Linda Fisher and Meredith Fisher.

After the witness concludes, the defense said it will call for a dismissal of the case.

Judge Donald Stephens ruled that if the case is dismissed, the trial is over. If not, the trial will resume Monday. The defense said it expects to have about four days of witnesses.

The attorney for the Fishers, Raleigh attorney Michael Schilawski, said he was hired by them in August of 2008, and he wrote a letter to Jason asking that he allow for regular visitations with his daughter, Cassidy.

Linda Fisher, Cassidy’s grandmother, and Meredith Fisher, Cassidy’s aunt, were upset that they had were not allowed to have a relationship with Cassidy.

The attorney said gifts to Cassidy were returned unopened, and Jason did not answer or return calls to the Fishers.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal State rests in Jason Young murder retrial

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:33 am

RALEIGH, N.C. — Wake County prosecutors, trying for a second time to win a conviction in the 5-year-old murder of Michelle Young, have rested their case against her husband after calling nearly 50 witnesses over the past three weeks.

MORE INFO

Jason Young retrial (Day 15)

Jurors spent more than two hours Friday reviewing evidence before the state concluded its 15-day presentation.

Defense attorneys will begin presenting their evidence Monday. They told Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens that they expect that process to take about four days.

Jason Young, 37, is charged with first-degree murder in the Nov. 3, 2006, beating death of his pregnant wife, who was found facedown in a pool of blood in the couple's home south of Raleigh.

He was arrested in December 2009 and originally went to trial last year, but it ended in a mistrial when the jury couldn't reach a unanimous verdict.

The state called one witness Friday – family law attorney Mike Schilawski, who represented Michelle Young's family in a custody case involving the Youngs' daughter.

MORE INFO

Full coverage: Michelle Young murder case

Schilawski testified that the family initially sought scheduled visitation with the child after Jason Young cut off all contact and then sought full custody when neither side was able to come to an agreement.

Jason Young eventually signed over permanent custody to Michelle Young's sister under the conditions that he would not have to submit to a psychological evaluation or sit for a deposition.

"I would have asked him whether or not he brutally murdered his wife," Schilawski said.

Testifying in his first trial, Jason Young said he couldn't afford a custody fight, but prosecutors contend that he could have but avoided one so that he wouldn't have to answer questions about his wife's slaying.

Defense attorneys questioned Schilawski about the likelihood of a judge awarding their client custody given time constraints, the allegations that he killed his wife and a judgment against him in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Assistant District Attorney Howard Cummings focused his line of questioning back to the visitation agreement, which was never reached.

"This cost that was going to be involved in all this was because of his lack of agreement, isn't it?" Cummings said.

"We tried to do it the easy and economical way, yes sir," Schilawski replied.

Prosecutors claim that Jason Young didn't want to be married anymore and that he had felt pressured to do so in 2003 when Michelle Young found out she was pregnant with their daughter.

Witnesses testified that the couple had a "volatile" relationship and argued frequently about sex, Michelle Young's relationship with her mother – with whom Jason Young didn't get along – and other issues.

Defense attorneys have conceded that their client wasn't a proper husband, but they say that doesn't mean that he is guilty of first-degree murder.

He could not have committed the crime, they have said, because the state's timeline doesn't fit, there's no physical evidence linking him to it and some DNA samples collected from the crime scene haven't been identified.

Compared with the first trial, the state's case lasted longer and included more witnesses, including two day care workers who said they saw the Youngs' daughter acting out her mother's beating death and a therapist who testified that a tearful Michelle Young sought counseling a week before her death in an effort to straighten out her life.

Prosecutors also focused on Jason Young's testimony from his first trial, in which he talked about what he was doing in the hours before and after Michelle Young was killed.

Jason Young said he was in Virginia on a business trip and asleep at a Hampton Inn, but the state says he drove 169 miles back to Raleigh, committed the crime and drove back to the hotel.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Jason Young May Take Witness Stand in Retrial

(RALEIGH, N.C.) -- Defense attorneys are spending the weekend deciding whether Jason Young, the North Carolina man who is on trial a second time for allegedly killing his pregnant wife, should take the stand on Monday.

Young, 37, was originally tried in 2006 for the death of his 29-year-old wife, Michelle, and is now back in court for first-degree murder charges after the trial ended in a deadlocked jury in June.

Young took the stand in his first trial and admitted he and his wife were having problems, however he denied killing his wife and said he had been on a business trip at the time of her murder.

Prosecutors are taking a closer look at his first trial testimony, comparing it to previous evidence submitted by the lead investigator.

Chief Assistant District Attorney Howard Cummings compared Young's statements to find inconsistencies, such as what he did on the night of his wife's death, the shirt he wore to his daughter's birthday party and his financial situation in 2008.

Prosecutors called their final witness, a family attorney who represented Michelle Young's family in a custody dispute on Friday.

Attorney Mike Schilawski told the jury he was hired after Young cut off visitation of the couple's young daughter to his wife's mother and sister.

Linda and Meredith Fischer, the mother and sister of Michelle Young, sued for custody of Cassidy Young, who was 2 years old at the time of her mother's 2006 murder.

Had Young chosen to fight the lawsuit, he would have been subjected to questioning under oath—allowing attorneys to ask him what he knew about his wife's murder. Instead, he ceded custody to his in-laws.

When Cummings asked Schilawski what he would have asked Young, he replied, "I would have asked him whether or not he brutally murdered his wife."

The defense argued Young did not have the money to engage in a costly legal battle and that his relinquishment of custody should not be seen as an implication of guilt, ABC affiliate WTVD reported.

Meredith Fischer found her sister face-down in a pool of blood with the couple's 2-year-old daughter and only possible witness, Cassidy, hiding under the covers of her parents' bed.

If convicted, Young could face life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Read On ABC News Radio: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Young's defense to call witnesses?

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:28 am

Updated at 07:06 AM today

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Jason Young's defense team will announce Monday if it plans to call any witnesses to the stand in his murder trial. It's not clear if Young will take the stand a second time.

Young, 37, is accused of beating his wife Michelle to death in their south Raleigh home in Nov. 2006. Their daughter - who was just 2-years-old at the time - was found next to the bloody corpse.

Prosecutors allege Young returned from a business trip in Virginia in the middle of the night to kill his wife and then secretly went back to his hotel room in Hillsville. Young maintains he never left the hotel, and his lawyers have said he did not have time to be all the places prosecutors claim he went.

The prosecution called its final witness Friday. On the witness stand, a family law attorney testified about the custody dispute between Young and Michelle's family after her death.

The prosecution maintains Young gave up the legal fight over his daughter in order to avoid answering questions about the murder.

Attorney Mike Schilawski testified Friday he was hired by Linda and Meredith Fisher - Michelle's mother and sister - because Jason cut off visitation to Cassidy Young.

When Young refused to sign a visitation agreement, they sued for custody. That lawsuit that would have required Young to answer questions under oath.

"What would you have asked him?" prosecutor Howard Cummings asked Schilawski.

"I would have asked him whether or not he brutally murdered his wife," Schilawski responded.

Schilawski said soon after the lawsuit was filed, Young's family law attorney called and the two met.

"The result was that Mr. Young was agreeing to change custody to Meredith and Linda," said Schilawski.

While the prosecution used the testimony to try to show Young's guilt, his defense pointed out how expensive it would have been for him to fight a legal battle during its cross-examination of Schilawski - money they said he didn't have.

But prosecutors shot back - pointing out that the custody suit was only filed after Young refused to go along with an initial visitation agreement.

"This idea of a full-blown custody battle and how expensive that was - that could have been avoided if he had just signed that one document right there so that the visitation schedule could have been in writing?" Cummings asked.

"That's true," said Schilawski.

That visitation agreement would have allowed Young to keep custody of his daughter for at least a year.

It's Young's second murder trial. His second ended last June with a deadlocked jury. At his first trial, Young took the witness stand and admitted he and Michelle were having problems, but said he was working on his marriage and didn't kill his wife.

The trial will continue Monday at 11 a.m.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Attack reenacted by Jason Young's daughter?

Post by raine1953 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Little Cassidy Young’s unusual behavior took center stage Monday in the third week of the Jason Young murder trial.

Three of Cassidy’s daycare teachers took the stand to testify to the two-year-old’s behavior following the brutal murder of her pregnant mother, Michelle Young, in November of 2006.

“She had what she referred to as the Mommy doll,” describes daycare worker Ashley Palmatier. “She began hitting the doll repeatedly.”

Palmatier went on to describe to the jury how Cassidy then put the “Mommy” doll into a dollhouse, laying the doll face down onto the bed.

“While she was hitting the doll she said ‘Mommy’s getting a spanking for biting’,” Palmatier said. “When she laid the doll down is when she said ‘Mommy has boo boos all over, Mommy has red stuff all over.”

Cassidy Young was home when her mother was brutally beaten to death. Her footprints were found at the crime scene, scattered throughout the house in blood. She could also be heard on the 911 call made by her aunt, Meredith Fisher, who discovered Michelle’s body. In the background, Cassidy can be heard saying “Mommy has boo boos all over.”

“We know that she witnessed a trauma,” Psychotherapist Jenn Berman tells HLN’s Mike Brooks. “Clearly she’s acting out a trauma, that’s what children do, especially at such a young age. And to see that change in her, to see her withdrawal, to see her play with the dolls like that is indicative of a child who has witnesses a trauma.”

Jason Young faces first-degree murder charges for the death of his 29-year-old wife. This is his second trial for Michelle Young’s murder after his first trial last year ended in a hung jury and a mistrial. If convicted, Young faces life in prison.

Computer forensic investigators also took the stand Monday to discuss the findings on Jason Young’s computer. In addition to emails he sent to his mistress and former fiancée declaring his love for them, there were also several heated email exchanges between Jason and Michelle.

But the most fascinating piece of computer forensic evidence came from search engine results on the Young family computer.

“One of the searches I found … was ‘anatomy of a knockout,’” says computer forensic expert Beth Whitney. “Another … search that I found was ‘head, trauma, blackout.’”

Whitney also described further searches for the terms “knockout” and “blackout” but says she couldn’t determine when these searches were conducted on the Young computer.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Live blog: Jason Young emotional as mother recalls the moment he learned Michelle was dead

Post by raine1953 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:22 pm

RALEIGH, N.C. --
NBC17.com is live blogging the entire Jason Young murder trial in Raleigh. Here is Monday's testimony from Wake County Superior Court.

5:27 p.m.: Jason Young rubbed his eyes and appeared in tears Monday as his mother recalled when he learned Michelle was dead.

The defense began its case Monday after three weeks of testimony from the prosecution, and the defense brought Jason’s family to the stand in rapid fire. His sister, brother-in-law and step-father all took the stand in his defense before the day ended with his mother, Pat, in the witness chair.

Pat Young recalled Michelle fondly, spoke of how much Jason loved children, and joked about how he had been a mischievous “imp” himself as a child.

But the most emotional part came when she retold the scene on Nov. 3, 2006, when she had learned from Linda Fisher that Michelle was dead, and she waited at her Brevard home to tell Jason.

She had no idea how they would tell Jason the news. She remembered Jason walking up with a coat over his shoulder and leaning down to pet her dog. And she remembered Jason looking at her and saying, “What’s wrong, Mom?”

Gerald McIntyre, her second husband who had raised Jason with her, “blurted out” the news.

“Jason, Michelle is dead,” he said.

“He just um … I think he said, ‘What? That can’t be right,’” she said.

“And he just - the color just drained from his face. He started kind of going down. I thought he was going to just fall down.

“He started crying. He asked about Cassidy. ‘What about Cassidy?’ And Gerald and I were on each side of him, Gerald was trying to hold him up.”

As she spoke, Jason started rubbing his eyes, his face emotional and appearing moist.

They made preparations to drive to Meredith Fisher’s home in Fuquay-Varina. On the way, she said, she got a call from a law enforcement officer, who asked if she was on the way with Jason.

“You damn well better be,” she remembered the agent saying.

Later, the family urged Jason not to talk to law enforcement, and to get a lawyer.

“We knew he was going to speak to Roger Smith [Jr.] on Monday,” she said.

4:30 p.m.: Pat Young, the mother of Jason, sought to downplay any doubt about whether Jason wanted children or was unhappy about Michelle being pregnant again.

“Jason used to talk about he would like from four to six children,” she said.

She referenced her first husband, Bob, who died when Jason was 5.

“Bob, Jason’s dad, was really happy when he had a son to carry on that Young name,” she said. “Jason was very happy he would have a little boy to carry on the Young name.”

That testimony was intended to blunt any question about whether Jason was unhappy Michelle was pregnant again. She was carrying a boy when she was murdered.

3:54 p.m.: Pat Young took the stand Monday afternoon to defend her son Jason in his murder trial, showing the jury pictures of the wedding between the two and painting a bright picture of his marriage to Michelle.

She called the wedding “a happy time” and remembered the joy of Cassidy being born.

“There were ups and downs as you would expect, I believe,” she said.

But she had one telling point in direct examination from the defense when asked if she remembered Jason calling to tell her he would marry Michelle.

“I said, ‘Is she pregnant?’ and he said yes,” she testified.

“And I said, ‘Do you love her?’

“And he said yes.

“And I said, I think that’s great.’”

2:48 p.m.: The step-father of Jason Young took the stand Monday, recalling the moment he told Jason that Michelle had been killed.

Gerald McIntyre married Pat Young, a widow, when Jason was about 7 years old, he said, and had raised him as his own. He took Jason skeet shooting and to baseball games and said he remembered Nov. 3, 2006 vividly.

McIntyre said Pat Young got a call from Linda Fisher that Michelle had been murdered.

“We were both devastated. We couldn’t believe it,” McIntyre testified. “It just ripped something out of you.”

McIntyre said they knew Jason was on his way to their home in Brevard, and they waited for him to arrive.

He said they watched from the window as Jason arrived, and said he looked “just as normal as all get-out.”

“He walked within a foot or two of us and said, ‘What’s the matter? What’s wrong?’

"I told him Michelle was dead. And if I hadn’t gotten a-hold of him he would have gone straight to the ground,” McIntyre said.

They went into the house, and he said Jason “was just jerking all over. He was crying. He was broke all to piece.”

McIntyre said he also told Jason later that day not to talk to police.

“I told him to keep his mouth shut and everything would be fine,” McIntyre said. “I told him that and don’t talk to anybody unless you’ve got counsel.”

Joe McCracken, Jason’s brother-in-law, also testified that he told Jason not to talk to authorities.

McCracken remembered going to Pat Young’s house that day and said Jason “was very quiet. He wasn’t saying a lot. He was real pale. He was really upset.

“He was crying.”

McCracken remembered a quiet ride to Meredith Fisher’s home in Fuquay-Varina, with Jason often having his head in his mother’s lap in the back seat.

He remembered Pat Young taking the phone calls, and remembered how some friends of Jason’s had called to say police were asking questions about him.

“They were asking some very disturbing questions,” McCracken said. “So we pulled over in the parking lot and decided what to do.”

McCracken said the family, in a meeting at an Applebee’s close to Meredith’s home, urged Jason to get a lawyer before speaking to police.

Asked to describe Jason at Michelle’s funeral, McCracken said, “He was sad. It was an open casket. He went up there and kneeled down and put his hand on Michelle’s belly. He was crying.”

McCracken also said he had only seen Jason and Michelle fight one time.

“They had their ups and down,” he said. “Nothing stood out saying they had a bad relationship.”

2:42 p.m.: The morning of Nov. 3, 2006, Jason Young met with Jennifer Sproles at Dickinson Community Hospital at about 10:30 a.m.

Sproles was the medical records director at the hospital, and Young had software he wanted to sell her.

Sproles testified Monday that Young was late for the appointment, and said he couldn’t call her to tell her because of poor cell reception in the Virginia hills.

“I think he was a little bit nervous, in my opinion,” she testified. “I just assumed it was because he was late and having to explain that. And just selling his product, a normal nervousness.”

Sproles did not buy the product.

The prosecution, on cross-examination, asked about him being nervous, and she said he definitely was. But when defense attorney Bryan Collins followed up by asking if that appeared to normal nervousness in that situation, Sproles said, “Exactly. And being late. You don’t want to be late for a business meeting.”

11:25 a.m.: David Dicks of the Highway Patrol was on the scene May 29, 2006, when Jason and Michelle Young had an accident in Transylvania County. With Jason driving, their Mitsubishi SUV went nose-first into a river.

Dicks arrived after Jason and Michelle had been transported to a hospital. The car ran off the road, went down an embankment and smashed into the river.

He said the vehicle was going only 40 mph in a 55 mph zone. He said Jason and Michelle returned to the scene after being checked out at the hospital. He said he did not see any injuries to them.

He said the evidence he saw was consistent with what Jason told him. Asked if he saw any argument or disagreement between them, he said, "No sir, I did not."

Dicks, by the way, is now active in the National Guard, and wore his National Guard uniform on the stand.

Earlier testimony in the trial revealed Michelle was pregnant at the time of the wreck and lost the baby. She later got pregnant again and was carrying that child, a boy, when murdered.

9:00 a.m.: Defense attorneys will start presenting evidence Monday morning in the re-trial of Jason Young.

The trial resumes this morning at 11 a.m. because one of the jurors had a morning appointment. You can stay up to date on the trial with NBC17.com's live stream and live blog.

Young is accused of killing his pregnant wife, Michelle, in 2006. She was found beaten to death inside their Raleigh home. The couple's daughter was inside the home at the time of the killing but was not harmed.

Prosecutors spent three weeks laying out their case against Young, even playing a recording of his testimony from his first trial, which ended in a hung jury.

The prosecution concluded its case Friday by displaying all its evidence for jurors to view. That took several hours before court concluded for the day.

After that, defense attorney Mike Klinkosum rose to ask Judge Donald Stephens to dismiss the case, but Stephens immediately denied his motion.

The prosection has taken a different approach this time. While some of the testimony has been explosive, the prosecution seemed to less time focusing on Jason's bawdy and inappropriate behavior and more time on details that showed he had the motive, and the time that night, to kill Michelle.

The prosecution brought in some new witnesses. A high school friend of Michelle's testified that Michelle told her Jason wanted to abort the first baby. A psychologist who met with Michelle the week before she died testified about a tearful, hour-long conference in which Michelle wanted to change her life. And an attorney explained how Jason was willing to give up Cassidy rather than fight visitation rights for Michelle's family.

Young says he's not guilty and was on a business trip in Virginia the night of the murder.

The defense will call their first witness Monday and said they expect to take four days on the case. The defense hasn't said whether Young will take the stand again.

Jason Young faces life in prison if found guilty.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Jason Young's smoking habits analyzed during retrial

RALEIGH -- Prosecutors worked during the past three weeks to poke holes in Jason Young's account of his whereabouts the hours before his wife's death, calling witness after witness to argue that he did not like smoke or smokers.

Young, in the June trial that ended with a jury deadlocked 8-4 for acquittal, testified that he went outside a Virginia hotel close to midnight Nov. 2, 2006, smoked a cigar on a windy night, then returned to his room, closing the doors he had propped open and stayed there through the morning.

Michelle Young, his wife, was 29 and pregnant when she was found bludgeoned to death Nov. 3, 2006, in the master bedroom of her suburban Wake County home.

Young, charged with murder in December 2009, testified in June that he did not kill his wife or have anything to do with her death.

He waited until his first trial to offer any account of his whereabouts to law enforcement, family and friends. He said he was acting on the advice of a lawyer he talked with several days after his wife's death after telling the attorney he was having an affair and alone in his hotel room when the killing occurred.

Prosecutors have worked to portray Young as a philandering husband, worried about a second child on the way and wanting out of his marriage.

In this trial, which has been somewhat different strategically from the trial eight months ago, prosecutors have worked to highlight their contentions of financial motive, too, arguing that the Youngs changed their life insurance policies ahead of time.

But defense attorneys pointed out that Jason Young never received benefits from the policies, that Cassidy Young, just a toddler when her mother was killed, was the beneficiary.

This week, defense lawyers began calling witnesses to show jurors a different side of Jason Young from the prosecutors.

Pat Young, his mother, was on the stand Monday afternoon and most of Tuesday morning. She testified that she recovered a cigar humidor when cleaning out the Youngs' home in suburban Wake County after the homicide.

Howard Cummings, Wake County's chief assistant district attorney, a prosecutor who did not actively participate in the first trial, asked why she had not mentioned that in June.

Another change from her testimony in June was Pat Young's recollection of a conversation with Meredith Fisher, the younger sister of Michelle Young.

Meredith Fisher and her mother Linda Fisher were seeking custody rights to Cassidy after animosity developed between the families.

During an argument, Pat Young testified at this trial, Meredith Fisher wanted to talk with Jason Young, who had only limited communications with his in-laws.

"I remember she said she had some questions for Jason," Pat Young said. "She said she was 90 percent sure he had not murdered Michelle."

Also on Tuesday, Faye Hensley, an elderly woman who lived in the Enchanted Oaks neighborhood where the Youngs lived, recalled seeing a gray SUV in the road the morning Michelle Young was killed.

Prosecutors contend Jason Young left the Virginia hotel at the time he said he went out to smoke a cigar, made the 160 mile trip back to Wake County, killed his wife and returned to Virginia for business calls later that day.

A convenience store clerk in King, a Stokes County town just outside Winston-Salem and about a 45-minute drive from the Hillsville, Va., hotel that Young checked into, said she sold gas to the defendant at about 5:30 a.m.

Footage from surveillance cameras near the pump show a light-colored SUV.

Read more here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:13 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:01 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:05 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Jason Young doesn't testify; defense rests

Post by raine1953 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:54 pm

RALEIGH -- Defense attorneys rested their case today in the second trial of Jason Young in a great departure from their strategy eight months ago.

This time, Young, 37, a medical software salesman accused of killing his wife, did not testify in his defense.

Prosecutors plan to call at least one witness to rebut some defense testimony.

Closing arguments are set for Thursday.

The jury could get the case Friday.

The decision not to put Young on the stand came after defense attorneys called 14 witnesses.

Jurors saw videotape of Young testifying at the June 2011 trial that ended with a jury deadlocked 8-4 for acquittal.

Lawyers say deciding whether to put a defendant on the stand can be one of the most important trial decisions.

That decision must be case-specific, they say, with no sweeping rule for how to proceed.

In the Young case, the defense team has worked through cross-examination and their own witnesses to poke holes in the prosecution's theory.

Young, prosecutors contend, left a hotel in Hillsville, Va., at midnight on Nov. 2, 2006, returned to his suburban Wake County home about 160 miles away in the early hours of Nov. 3, bludgeoned his wife Michelle to death in their master bedroom, then left his toddler daughter home alone and returned to Virginia in the predawn hours to make business calls later that day.

Defense attorneys called Young's mother, stepfather, sister, brother-in-law and two friends to offer jurors another portrayal of the defendant than the one prosecutors presented during the first 15 days of testimony.

Prosecutors described Young, an N.C. State University graduate known to strip naked at parties and do sophomoric things, as a philandering husband who had a volatile and violent history with women.

They contend he killed his wife, who was 29 and 20 weeks pregnant at her death, when he wanted out of his marriage and free of the responsibilities of raising a second child.

Prosecutors, through a largely circumstantial case, brought witnesses to raise the possibility of financial motive, such as millions of dollars available from a life insurance policy the Youngs obtained the same year that Michelle Young was killed.

The defense team has pointed out that Jason Young did not benefit from that policy, that Cassidy, the daughter found alone in the home on Nov. 3, 2006, unharmed, will one day be the beneficiary.

Prosecutors stressed throughout this trial that Young waited 1,693 days to provide an account to anyone other than his lawyers of his whereabouts in the hours before and after his wife's death.

He testified during his first trial that he simply was following the advice of a lawyer he offered him counsel several days after the homicide.

Young said after he told the lawyer he was having an extramarital affair and alone in his hotel room in Hillsville, Va., the attorney advised him not to talk to anyone and he followed that advice "to a T."

Prosecutors contend a latent print found on the molding near Jason Young's bedroom closet and a partial bloody footprint found on pillows near his wife's body tie him forensically to the crime scene.

Defense attorneys brought forth Marty Ludas, a former FBI agent who now teaches at Wake Tech, to raise doubt about the prosecution's forensic investigation.

The defense also called their private investigator Steve Hale to show how doors at the Hampton Inn in Hillsville, Va., could be propped open with twigs, bolstering Jason Young's account that he went outside close to his car close to midnight, smoked a cigar on the windy knoll, then returned to his hotel room without using a keycard, which would have recorded information on a computer, by propping hotel doors open.

The defense called three witnesses they did not call in the first trial, a state trooper who investigated a single-vehicle wreck the Youngs were involved in six months before the homicide.

Prosecutors have raised questions about whether that wreck should have been further investigated. The vehicle Jason Young was driving went down an embankment and ended up partially submerged in a river.

Michelle Young was pregnant at the time and had a miscarriage after that wreck. Prosecutors pointed out the couple had just taken out new life insurance policies that would have brought $4 million in a case of accidental death.

Defense attorneys point out that Young is being represented by Wake County's Public Defender Bryan Collins and Mike Klinkosum, a private-practice attorney being compensated by Indigent Defense Services. Young was declared indigent by the courts to receive such representation.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Posted: 8:39 a.m. today
Updated: 11:53 a.m. today

State's case makes no sense, Young defense says

RALEIGH, N.C. — After 64 witnesses over a span of 18 days, closing arguments are under way in the retrial of Jason Young, who is accused of first-degree murder in the beating death of his pregnant wife in their Wake County home more than five years ago.

Michelle Young, 29, was five months’ pregnant when she was found facedown in a pool of blood in the couple's bedroom on Nov. 3, 2006. Their daughter, Cassidy, then 2, was found unharmed under the covers of her parents' bed.

Jason Young, 37, first went on trial for the crime last summer, but the jury deadlocked, and Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens declared a mistrial.

Defense attorney Mike Klinkosum repeatedly told jurors in the first part of the defense's closing argument Thursday that "the state's case makes no sense."

Jason Young was asleep in a hotel room in Hillsville, Va., about 170 miles from Raleigh, at the time of the crime, and there's no physical evidence linking him to the crime, Klinkosum said.

"Jason Young did not kill Michelle Young and their unborn son, and this case remains unsolved," he said.

Even the circumstantial evidence in the case, Klinkosum said, points to someone else.

Prosecutors spent 15 days – six days longer than in the first trial – trying to prove that Jason Young killed his wife because he no longer wanted to be married.

Witnesses testified over the course of the retrial that Jason Young wasn't a good husband and cheated on his wife and that they argued often and publicly. Common themes, they testified, were the lack of sex in the marriage and Michelle Young's close relationship with her mother.

"They are trying to get you mad at him for the way he treated Michelle," Klinkosum said. "Be mad at him. Hate him if you want to. I don't blame you. But what you feel about him in terms of him as a person – that anger that you feel – put it in context, because when you look at the physical evidence in this case, it does not match up."

The state contends that Jason Young traveled to Virginia for a business trip on the night of Nov. 2, 2006, checked into a hotel and then returned in the middle of the night to kill his wife.

Closing arguments are expected to last all day, with each side getting three hours to present its case. Jury deliberations are scheduled to begin Friday morning.

If convicted of first-degree murder, Jason Young could spend the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Defense wraps up closing arguments in Jason Young retrial

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:09 pm

RALEIGH -- Jason Young, under one scenario put forth by prosecutors, is the kind of guy who flies by the seat of his pants, a partier, and philandering husband who sent his wife an anniversary card from Orlando, where his lover was, when his cover story was he was in Wilmington.

In another scenario, prosecutors contend he was a plotting criminal, sly enough to disable hotel security cameras, know which gas stations were without cameras and plan a killing without leaving any electronic trace of his actions or whereabouts for an eight-hour period.

Defense attorneys representing the 37-year-old medical software salesman said in their closing arguments this morning the two very different portrayals don't mesh with evidence in the homicide case of Michelle Young.

Jason Young has been on trial for the past month in Wake County Superior Court.

Today defense lawyers stitched together a tightly woven theme.

The prosecution's theory that Jason Young killed his wife, defense attorney Mike Klinkosum said over and over this morning, "doesn't make sense."

But Becky Holt, an assistant district attorney who has tried Jason Young twice now for murder, argued investigators had the right man on trial.

"This case is solved," Holt argued.

Holt was first up this afternoon as prosecutors begin their closing arguments in a trial that has lasted nearly a month.

Young is accused of bludgeoning his wife Michelle Young to death in the master bedroom of the couple's suburban Wake County home.

"We're not going to ever know what happened in that house that night," Bryan Collins, Wake County's public defender, contended. "It's been too long."

Collins and Klinkosum argued that police focused on Jason Young as their prime suspect "like a laser" from the outset.

"It''s completely understandable that police suspected Jason Young in this case," Collins said. "He's the husband, he's not there. He refuses to talk to law enforcement."

But defense attorneys say the investigators turned such a tight focus on Jason Young they failed to thoroughly explore any possibilities outside their initial theory.

"If you decide what happened before you go investigate, instead of finding the truth, your investigation will merely accept the evidence that confirms your suspicions and reject what's in conflict with it," Collins said. "This case is full of that."

"The physical evidence points away from Jason," Collins added.

Young testified in a first trial that ended with a jury deadlocked, leaning strongly toward acquittal.

Young said he was alone in a Hampton Inn hotel room in Hillsville, Va., about 169 miles from Raleigh. It was not until that trial, 1,693 days after Michelle Young's body was found, that he gave an account of his whereabouts and activities to anyone other than lawyers.

He was having an extramarital affair at the time, and the lawyer he consulted several days after his wife's death advised him not to say anything.

He did not offer an account when his in-laws sued him in a wrongful death claim, which resulted in $15 million default judgment against him.

He did not sit for a deposition or mental health evaluation, when his in-laws again sued him for custody of his only child, Cassidy, who was just 2 1/2 when her mother was killed.

The girl was found unharmed, in her parents' bed, in clean clothes and clean feet though she tracked blood around her parents' bedroom and in the hall and bathroom near her room.

Klinkosum, up first for the defense, argued that jurors should have doubts about at least 10 circumstances from the prosecution's case.

Young was in Virginia shortly before midnight, according to surveillance camera images at the Hampton Inn.

He was near Wytheville, Va., about 35 minutes northwest of Hillsville, Va., when his first phone call of the day is made at 7:40 a.m. to his mom's house.

According to the prosecution's theory, Young would have traveled just over 500 miles in less than 12 hours.

Michelle Young suffered 30 blows, according to medical examiners, and had scratch marks on her neck and was known by her sister to be a scratcher.

"There was a fight in this bedroom, ladies and gentlemen," Klinkosum said. "There were pillows thrown on the floor. There were scratch marks on her neck."

Young was stripped naked four days after the homicide and searched and photographed by law enforcement officers. That investigation turned up one bruise, partially on the nail of a big toe.

Klinkosum also pointed out that no blood was found on jeans that appear to be the same ones Jason Young was wearing in security camera footage at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Greensboro and the hotel in Hillsville, Va., where he checked in at 10:54 p.m. and then near an outer door shortly before midnight.

Investigators seized the pants from his suitcase the day his wife was murdered, and the pants still had the belt in the belt loops.

"If she had been clawing at the attacker's hands there would have been nail marks somewhere," Klinkosum said.

Michelle Young was a fighter, her family said, someone who would have fought back particularly if her toddler daughter was in the house.

"There was a hand-to-hand fight in that bedroom," Kilinkosum said.

Klinkosum again attacked the timeline laid out by prosecutors. To pull off what they contend, he said, he would have been harried, rushing from a Virginia hotel about 170 miles away, about a three-hour trip to his home, committing a violent act, cleaning up not only himself, but also taking his young daughter out of the home to clean her.

"If he did this he's under time pressure, Klinkosum said. "He's got to get in there kill his wife and get out. So he chooses to kill her in the bloodiest way possible?"

Collins pointed out that in an era where cell phones, credit cards and other items from daily life leave electronic traces.

"You can't go anywhere these days," Collins said, "without leaving some kind of electronic trace."

But Young left no electronic trace for nearly eight hours, from close to midnight Nov. 2 until 7:40 a.m. when he called his mom's house from Wytheville, Va.

"You know why that is?" Collins asked. "When you're in your hotel asleep, you're not generating electronic evidence."

Through 50 witnesses over 15 days of testimony, the prosecution attacked Young's character, describing him as a philandering husband, focusing on one physical altercation he had with a former fiancee and sophomoric, imbecilic and volatile incidents.

"They are trying to get you mad at him for the way he treated Michelle," Klinkosum said. "Be mad at him. Hate him if you want to. I don't blame you. But what you feel about him in terms of him as a person – that anger that you feel — put it in context, because when you look at the physical evidence in this case, it does not match up."

Holt countered that contention in her closing argument.

"The state is not asking you to convict Jason Young because he's a jerk, but because of the evidence presented to you," Holt said.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Prosecutions Closing Arguments

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Defense Closing Arguments

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:13 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Jury deliberating Young's fate

Post by raine1953 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:56 pm

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Jurors began deliberating Jason Young's fate Friday morning. The 37-year-old is accused of beating his pregnant wife Michelle to death in their south Raleigh home in 2006.

Michelle was five months pregnant when she died. During the trial, prosecutors called witnesses to testify about the couple's long history of marital problems and Jason's affairs with multiple women in the months before the murder.

The Young's daughter Cassidy - who was 2-years-old at the time - was found unharmed next to her mother's corpse. Investigators said her tiny bloody footprints were tracked throughout the upstairs floor of the home.

At his first trial - which ended with a deadlocked jury last year - Young took the witness stand and claimed he was away on a business trip in Virginia on Nov. 3, 2006 when Michelle died. He admitted he was a less than perfect husband, but said he was working on his marriage and didn't kill his wife. He said he was asleep in a Hampton Inn in Hillsville when the murder happened.

Young's testimony was replayed on video for the second jury. It's picking from three options: not guilty, guilty of first-degree murder or guilty of second-degree murder.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Jury finds Jason Young guilty

Post by raine1953 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:14 pm

RALEIGH -- Jason Young was found guilty today of murdering his wife, bringing a verdict in a 2006 homicide case that left seven women and five men deadlocked in uncertainty eight months ago.

Young, 37, will receive life in prison for a crime that left his daughter motherless when she was just a toddler.

Michelle Young was 29 and pregnant with the couple's second child when she was found bludgeoned to death in the master bedroom of the suburban Wake County home she shared with her husband and child.

The verdict came after nearly two days of deliberations in a case that has been broadcast live on court TV and on TV web sites.

Young testified in his first trial that he was alone in a Virginia hotel room not far from the North Carolina border when his wife was killed. In testimony that this panel of 12 saw on videotape the second to last week of the trial, Young said he did not kill his wife or have anything to do with her death.

The medical software salesman, who waited 1,693 days after his wife's death to provide anyone other than lawyers an account of his activities and whereabouts around the time of her death, did not testify in this trial.

Prosecutors contend he made a 170 mile trip from the Hampton Inn in Hillsville, Va., to Wake County in the early hours of Nov. 3, 2006, killed his wife, cleaned himself up and proceeded back to Virginia for business calls later in the day.

Defense attorneys argued that Young did not have time to commit such a violent act without incurring any bruises or scratches or leaving a trail of evidence in his wake.

The prosecution's case was largely circumstantial.

raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 am

:cheering: party crazy 1 :celebration:
Gotcha, Jason!! Thought you were so smart!! LOL!
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:19 pm

This is GREAT news!!!!! flowerpower kick

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:53 pm

New strategy yields different result in Jason Young murder trial

RALEIGH, N.C. --
A new prosecution strategy yielded a different result in the Jason Young murder trial, a strategy forged in part by conversations with the jury from the first trial that ended with a hung jury.

Prosecutor Becky Holt, in an interview in her office Wednesday, said the prosecution interviewed "a majority" of the first jury for feedback. She said the jurors asked the prosecution not to share what they said.

She also said she could not address allegations of juror misconduct, since that is an on-going investigation. Judge Donald Stephens has asked the SBI to investigate whether a jury leaked information about the jury proceedings in the second trial.

But Holt did address the approach of the prosecution in the second trial. Holt and Howard Cummings, who joined her for the second trial, came in with a new strategy. In a stunning moment Monday, Young was found guilty of first-degree murder Monday in Wake County Superior Court and sentenced to life in prison.

"I think we made a point of connecting the dots a lot more," Holt said. "We put a lot of inferences out there [in the first trial] but didn't connect them for the jury. We did a lot more of that [in the second trial], not just leaving it out there for the jury."

The prosecution also used some new witnesses. For example:

Two day care workers detailed Cassidy's violent use of two dolls, one a "mommy" doll, six days after her mother's murder on Nov. 3, 2006.

A psychologist testified that Michelle came to see her the week before her death and cried the entire hour she was there.

A high school friend of Michelle's testified that Michelle told her Jason had wanted to abort their first child, and threatened to hold it against Michelle if she refused.

Holt said that after the first trial, the prosecution reviewed its mountains of evidence looking for some fresh information.

"One thing that's hard to realize is the amount of information," she said. "There were 19,000 pages of discovery."

She said the fact Jason Young had testified in the first trial helped the defense, because the jury could see how he interacted with Holt when she cross-examined him. She noted he would not answer her questions directly.

"His controlling personality came out," she said.

Holt was convinced all along Jason murdered Michelle. She said there was no forced entry, no robbery and only the rings were missing.

The fact the rings were missing were symbolic to her, and an important point she raised with the jury in closing arguments. Jason had, she pointed out, ripped an engagement ring off the finger of Genevieve Cargol and had pretended to swallow the engagement ring of Carroll Anne Sowerby.

"The rings -- it stood out to me," she said. "I just thought it was no small coincidence that that is what was missing."

The verdict came after more than five years of investigating the case, and Holt was involved from November 2006 on.

She delivered a powerful closing argument last Thursday. Remembering that moment in her office on the eighth floor of the Wake County Courthouse, she held up the large white tearsheet she and Howard Cummings used to make the key points for their final arguments.

She said she didn't write out her closing arguments in advance, but did write out the opening line. She opened by saying with conviction, "This case is closed."

"This was a case I knew upside down," she said. "I have lived this case a long time."

When the verdict finally came Monday, she said she felt a sense of relief. And she went out to celebrate, taking her 13-year-old daughter to Chick-fil-A.

And to celebrate, they shared milkshakes.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Jason Young remains in Central Prison, waits for assignment

Jason Young mug shot

Published: March 13, 2012

Jason Young, convicted last Monday of killing his pregnant wife, is now at Central Prison in Raleigh but only likely to be there a few weeks, a prisons spokesman said Tuesday.

Keith Acree of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety told NBC-17 that Young will be processed at Central Prison for up to six weeks.

“Right now, he’s going through the admission and diagnostic process,” Acree said.

As part of that, the state assesses an inmate’s physical and mental health.

“It’s a mental health screening to see if you have any mental health needs,” Acree said.

Young, sentenced to life in prison, is in a cell block with other prisoners being assessed. There are usually 50 to 100 inmates in that group at any given time, and all have been sentenced to at least 10 years in prison, Acree said.

The prisoners get prison assignments after that. Prisoners can be assigned close custody, medium custody or minimum custody.

Young is likely to be assigned to close custody. Acree said there are 12 prisons for males in North Carolina that have close custody facilities.

Acree said Central Prison only houses “special needs” prisons, such as those with significant health issues. He said the state looks to send prisoners near their homes, so their families can visit.

Thus, Acree said, it’s unlikely Young will remain at Central.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up somewhere in the Western part of the state,” he said.

Young is from Brevard.

As for now, Acree said, Young can come and go from his cell in his particular cell block. He can read and watch television in the common area and exercise at certain times of the day.

“He could congregate with other inmates in his group,” Acree said.

Young's attorneys have said they plan to appeal, and Judge Donald Stephens has asked the SBI to look into whether any jurors improperly shared information about their deliberations.

In the meantime, Young is inmate number 1309245 - being processed, and waiting for assignment. A spokesman for the Central Prison said Tuesday he would not agree to an interview with NBC-17.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Jason Young trial featured tonight on 'Dateline'

Post by raine1953 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:23 pm

The Jason Young murder trial takes a national stage tonight, when “Dateline” airs a restrospective on the case at 10 p.m. on NBC-17.

Young, meanwhile, remains in prison after being convicted of murdering his pregnant wife, Michelle. Young had been in Central Prison in Raleigh but moved to Alexander Correctional Institute in Taylorsville on Wednesday.

Young is in “close custody,” which is North Carolina’s term for what is thought of as maximum security. He is confined to his own cell, prison spokesman Keith Acree said Friday.

Meanwhile, there has been no resolution as to whether any of the jurors in his case acted inappropriately, according to Judge Donald Stephens’ office. Stephens asked the SBI to investigate whether anyone in the jury had discussed the case with others.

There had been postings on Facebook suggesting that at least one juror had leaked some information the jury discussions.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Visit msnbc.com for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Visit msnbc.com for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum