Talking With … Scot Safon: Casey Anthony trial is 'gigantic' for HLN

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Talking With … Scot Safon: Casey Anthony trial is 'gigantic' for HLN

Post by Nama on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:48 pm

When it comes to TV coverage of the Casey Anthony trial, Scot Safon will be one of the most important figures determining what viewers see. He is executive vice president of HLN and oversees truTV's "In Session," which will provide pool coverage of the trial.

CFB: How big a deal is the Anthony trial for HLN?

It's a gigantic deal for us. It's a case that has been very important to our audiences since the early developments in the case. Nancy Grace has done a ton of coverage. It really strikes a chord with people who watch us. We get active audience feedback. It's true across the country. It's not a regional-interest story. It's about justice.

CFB: What about this case strikes a chord?

It speaks to so many issues, to the responsibility parents have, to the responsibility grandparents have, to the vulnerability of children, to the fact that this could play out in the midst of what might seem a normal family. I think a lot of people find it relatable. They know people like the people in this story, grandparents like the Anthonys, women like Casey, children like Caylee. A lot of stories happen like this, but this one just seems to capture a lot of those fundamental things. It seems so extreme on some levels, but some people go, 'My sister is like that.' Even if you're not identifying with Casey Anthony, you know somebody like that in your life. Based on what we hear, the audience says it's outraged, but there's an undertone of identification with the anxieties that a story like this points out.

CFB: When will expanded coverage start on HLN?

It's important to do dedicated coverage before the trial so people can get up to speed. Nancy Grace's show will be doing dedicated hours to that: Here's how this trial is going to play out.

CFB: How many people will be here covering the trial?

Not sure of that yet. It's a little unusual for us, because of the 'In Session' production unit, which is part of what we do, we'll have enough dedicated people down there because we're pool for the camera in the courtroom. We have to have a certain number of people, and different 'In Session' and HLN people will be there at different times.

CFB: How much will we see in HLN prime time?

I don't think you'll see it on every show every day. But I think on a given night, if there's testimony that takes trial in new direction or gives a new insight, you'll see it more than on just Nancy or Jane Velez-Mitchell's show. Nancy's show will focus very much on it. Because Conrad Murray is going on at the same time, Jane Velez-Mitchell will be spending a lot of time on that case. [Murray is charged with involuntary manslaughter in singer Michael Jackson's death.] Dr. Drew Pinsky starts on April 4. I don't expect he'll do a lot.

CFB: And Joy Behar?

Joy will probably talk about it. A through line on a lot of HLN shows is looking at women, and obviously you've got a woman's behavior under the microscope as well as perspectives from that woman's mom. You're dealing with a lot of seminal issues and behaviors and how people act in a situation and what they choose to share. It's grist for a lot of discussion.

CFB: Could HLN go live with the trial along the way?

There will be times when HLN will go live with some of the coverage. We could simulcast at any point that we think it makes sense. 'In Session' goes off at 3 p.m. ET. If there's an opportunity, we have to make a decision: Is there testimony in the Anthony or Murray trial that we should go to? It depends on what's going on in the trial. Our audience will be well steeped in what's going in both trials every day. When we cut to live coverage -- opening and closing remarks, certain expert witnesses -- it depends on whom we're hearing from.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Talking With … Scot Safon: Casey Anthony trial is 'gigantic' for HLN

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:32 pm

That is a very interesting article. I can do w/out NG's coverage but we all know she will be the "drama queen". I just hope she changes the 3 minute intro. I think we all can recite it verbatim by now.

It's going to be a tough call for HLN if there are two important testimonies for the MJ Case and the Anthony case going on at the same time.

Most of us w/watch it online as it is commercial-free.

Everyone needs to rest up as we have one month until the Anthony trial and our dear Leah Freeman trial. It would be so awesome if it was covered live!!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by HippieChick on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:32 pm

I gather from that that their coverage on TruTV will end at 3 so they can air those stupid shows as per usual. Jeez, we could ALL sacrifice those shows for more trial coverage. I will stick to live stream, so I won;t miss anything.

As far as NG covering this, I wouldn't mind it except that she is NOT accurate in what she reports. Nobody will want to listen to her scream at her guests and be rude after watching a day of Casey day in and day out.
No human being could endure that kind of punishment, especially while missing half of our summer so we can watch the trial.

TruTV has blown its fan base, everyone but NG's steadfast blue haired fans who have no computer. The rest of us will be watching it live stream instead of enduring the commercial interruptions at the most inopportune times by TruTV. I remember when they had so many respected lawyers on as TH's and during trials I would learn SO MUCH legal stuff by listening to them. Now poor ole Vinnie is the lone wolf.

HippieChick
HippieChick

http://abbiespot.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:32 pm

No Sheba, either, on live stream.
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Post by HippieChick on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Well, I can live w/out Sheeba. She's had her 15 minutes of fame and I just naturally distrust someone so into NG that they call in so much.

HppieChick
HippieChick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Joy Behar show will be the better talk show on the KC trial. This is a huge trial.
It speaks to so many issues, to the responsibility parents have, to the responsibility grandparents have to the vulnerability of children, to the fact that this could play out in the midst of what might seem a normal family. I think a lot of people find it relatable. They know people like the people in this story, grandparents like the Anthonys, women like Casey, children like Caylee. A lot of stories happen like this, but this one just seems to capture a lot of those fundamental things. It seems so extreme on some levels, but some people go, 'My sister is like that.' Even if you're not identifying with Casey Anthony, you know somebody like that in your life. Based on what we hear, the audience says it's outraged, but there's an undertone of identification with the anxieties that a story like this points out.
Perfectly said right here as to why this is a big deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:37 pm

LM, Did Joy Behar say what is in quotations?

I also look to her to cover it well. Also, Prime News. I wish Mike Galanos was still in that spot.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilone on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:19 pm

Joy B. doesn't report news as I like it. She just wants to express her opinion and that of her "friends". I don't watch her show.

I do agree with you Wrap concerning Mike Galanos. I like him a lot. Nancy gets on my nerves with all the drama and the mis-reporting, but she still seems to have pretty good coverage over all. I'll be watching her, but I sure wish she was on at 10pm like she used to be.
Lilone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:39 am

Wrapitup wrote:LM, Did Joy Behar say what is in quotations?

I also look to her to cover it well. Also, Prime News. I wish Mike Galanos was still in that spot.

No it was in the article that was posted.

Back to top Go down

Post by HippieChick on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:50 am

You would think TruTV would take advantage of the fact that this trial is HUGE and so many people will be watching it that they would be airing it everyday in its entirety, those 3pm shows be dammed. Their viewership would be insane, at least for the duration of the trial.

We need another network like CourtTv used to be, that will run trials all day. CourtTv had a good thing going and I don't know why they had to go and change it. Many of us wrote them and protested from the very beginning- Starr Jones, remember when she came on board? She wasn't on long.....you would think they wold have heard us back then and kept what they had. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

HippieChick

Last edited by HippieChick on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
HippieChick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum