Berndt twins leave their mother, Sybil Berndt, on the floor to die after a fall/A grand jury has declined to indict the twins, Edwin Larry Berndt & Edward Christian Berndt, both 48

Go down

Normal Berndt twins leave their mother, Sybil Berndt, on the floor to die after a fall/A grand jury has declined to indict the twins, Edwin Larry Berndt & Edward Christian Berndt, both 48

Post by artgal16 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:15 pm

HOUSTON — Twin Houston men were charged Tuesday with the murder of their 89-year-old mother after police say the pair allowed her to die on the floor in their foyer after she fell, then lived for three months with her decomposing, bug-infested corpse.

Edwin Larry Berndt and his brother, Edward Christian Berndt, both 48, were arrested Monday when police went to check on Sybil Berndt, prompted by a neighbor who called to say the elderly woman had not been seen since January.

Edwin Berndt answered the officer's knocks and initially said "everyone was fine and there was no need for the police at their home," according to court documents. The officer insisted she had to see Berndt's mother and he let her into the house.

The home was in "deplorable condition and smelled terribly," and the elderly Berndt was laying face down on the floor of the foyer, according to the documents. Sybil Berndt was dressed in a nightgown pulled up under her arms and was not wearing underwear. The body was in an advanced state of decomposition and insects were crawling around it, the documents said.

The brothers told police their mother had fallen and died, and that they didn't have enough money to bury her. They said they didn't call police because they didn't want to go to jail.

Police searched the home and found bank statements from JP Morgan Chase totaling about $700,000, according to court documents.

The twins later told police they lived with their mother and cared for her. On Jan. 10, Edwin Berndt said he and his brother were watching the BCS Championship football game when their mother "came in ranting and raving and she then fell down and did not get up." He said they decided to leave her on the floor because they didn't have money to provide her with medical treatment.

.For the first day, Sybil Berndt was conscious and able to speak, but did not ask for any help, Edwin Berndt said. His brother said they didn't give her any food or water while she lay on the floor.

Three days later, on Jan. 13, the elderly woman died, Edwin Berndt told police. He told them he remembered the date because it was a day after her 89th birthday.

The brothers then decided to leave her on the floor because they didn't have money to bury her.
source
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Berndt twins leave their mother, Sybil Berndt, on the floor to die after a fall/A grand jury has declined to indict the twins, Edwin Larry Berndt & Edward Christian Berndt, both 48

Post by raine1953 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:45 pm

OMG!!!!!!
"She was conscious and able to speak the first day?"
Her sons didn't give her any food or water? She died three days later? OMG! They left her laying on the floor in the same place for three months because they didn't have money to bury her? OMG! I wonder what the mental capacities of this woman's sons is? I wonder because didn't they know she had accounts worth $700,000, ? This is so bizarre!

raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Berndt twins leave their mother, Sybil Berndt, on the floor to die after a fall/A grand jury has declined to indict the twins, Edwin Larry Berndt & Edward Christian Berndt, both 48

Post by artgal16 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Maybe they are mentally challenged and she kept her accounts to herself and told them there was no money.
They didnt say one word in the article about them being handicapped in any way.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Sybil was 41 when she gave birth to these creeps. I wonder if she had other children....
I wonder if the twins worked? They look deranged!

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 pm

artgal16 wrote:Well they certainly dont look right do they?
They look VERY wrong! YUK!

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal They always lived with their mother

Post by Nama on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:07 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Its amazing to me that they told the police everything that happened. That makes me think they have mental problems. I assume there was no extended family.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by HippieChick on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:36 pm

They have to be mentally "not right", between the 2 of them they couldn't even come up with a believable lie as to what happened to their mom. And to leave her to lay decomposing for months right there in the house? And her gown pulled up and she wasn't wearing underwear? I shudder to think what else was going on in that house. Disgusting story, and I hope they both rot.

HippieChick
HippieChick

http://abbiespot.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 pm

omg grrrr Shocked 2 huge waste

I do not know what to say. This story is just so bizarre!

I agree, they do look like they are mentally ill. I wonder how they lived after she died. Disgusting and sick!

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:30 am

The one on the left looks sick. Mentally and physically. They both are extremely unkempt and look like the filthy pigs they are.

How could they not give any food or water to her. This is their own mother!!! I cannot imagine this. It is just too disgustingly Sick!

That poor woman probably starved to death!

And, how could these brothers stand the smell of a decomposing body and the bugs, and their mother lying dead on the floor w/her nightgown pulled over her head?

I wish they would treat them the way she was treated. This one could give us nightmares for sure!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:15 am

OMG they need to be put away somewhere! They scare the hell out of me and I do not scare easily! affraid
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:22 am

They are a scary pair to look at. Dirty and filthy looking.

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Normal Neither Edwin nor Edward Berndt had held a job for several years

Post by Nama on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:31 am

Edwin Berndt told investigators that his mother was conscious and able to speak for about a day after she fell. He told investigators he remembers that his mother died Jan. 13 because it was a day after her 89th birthday.
"They didn't seem to have any real remorse for their mother," Torres said. "I think they were more concerned with what was going to happen to them."
Torres said both men spoke clearly with a bit of Southern drawl and seemed fairly intelligent. Both men graduated from high school - Edwin attended Milby High School, while Edward went to Lyndon B. Johnson High where he was in a program for gifted children.
When they spoke to investigators, they wore blank stares. Both men told investigators they never tried to help their mother, Torres said. When investigators asked them why, their reply: She never asked us to.

Most residents said they knew little about the family. They would occasionally see Sybil Berndt at civic club events, which she attended less after her husband died from Alzheimer's in 2007.
Investigators found bank statements showing that Sybil Berndt had several hundred thousand dollars in her accounts. Neither Edwin nor Edward Berndt had held a job for several years. Torres said the family owned ranch property that they rented out, which made up most of their income.
Neighbors said they occasionally saw the twins in the front yard raking leaves and mowing the lawn, never bothering anyone. Neighbors were surprised to see the brothers, who were always clean cut and freshly shaven, clad with bushy dark beards and unkempt hair.
"I would have never expected this to happen because they seemed very docile," said 75-year-old Jim Scott, who lives across the street from the family.
Segundo Abrego III, 18, also said the brothers seemed harmless, always keeping to themselves.
He could tell something was wrong when he saw several police cars around the Berndts' home Monday afternoon.
"I didn't know what to expect," he said. "But I wasn't expecting this."

More on this link:

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:05 pm

My brother, Darryl and my other brother, Darryl.
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Normal Grand jury declines to indict twin brothers charged in mother's death

Post by raine1953 on Wed May 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Posted on July 12, 2011 at 12:20 PM
HOUSTON – A grand jury has declined to indict twin brothers accused in their elderly mother’s death, an attorney for the brothers said Tuesday.
Edward Larry Berndt and Edwin Christian Berndt, both 48, were arrested and charged with murder in mid-April after police said they found the men living with their mother’s decomposing body.
"All the applicable evidence in this case was presented to the grand jury,” Assistant District Attorney Donna Hawkins said Tuesday. “Based upon that evidence, they elected to no-bill the cases. This effectively ends the prosecution of the brothers."
The twins were released on bond shortly after their arrests and have been living at an assisted living facility. Their attorney, Robert Scardino, said Tuesday they will likely move in with relatives now that the charges have been dismissed.
"(This case was) unusual and tragic,” Scardino said. “It's just hard to imagine living under the circumstances those two men lived with their dead mother for three months."
According to police, the Berndt brothers said they were watching the BCS Championship game on Jan. 10 when their 89-year-old mother, Sybile Berndt, came in "ranting and raving." The twins said she slipped and fell, and they left her on the floor without food, water or medical attention for three days until she died.
After that, police said the twins never moved their mother. By the time investigators arrived for a welfare check on the woman, the body was severely decomposed.
Police said Sybile Berndt’s body was dressed in a nightgown that was pulled up under her arms, and insects were crawling all over her.
According to police, the twins said they never called for help because they couldn’t afford medical care for their mother, and after she died, they couldn’t afford a funeral.
Scardino said doctors believe his clients are autistic.
"The boys were born mentally disabled. They were born oxygen-deprived and I think that was the source of their problem with being able to make decisions and live in society, live a life with other people," Scardino said.
He said they depended on their mother to take care of them, and once she was gone, their health suffered.
"It doesn’t appear that there was any hygiene and baths or showers taken. There was water, but it was trickling water. There was no air conditioning," Scardino said. "There were a lot of empty popcorn bags in the house. There were a lot of broken egg shells in the house and a lot of empty tin cans where they were eating food out of a tin can which indicated to me there wasn’t any grocery shopping."
Scardino also said there was a Christmas tree found in the home with unopened presents underneath it. The twins said the family had planned a belated celebration with relatives in January.
The dining room table was still set the way their mother had left it.
"It was in a state that I’m not sure even the most warped director in Hollywood could have made up the scene in that house," Scardino said.
When reached for comment Tuesday, one of the twins' cousins, Elvin Berndt, said he was relieved that the pair would not go to trial for murder.
"What they did wasn't right," he said. "But they didn't know what they were doing."
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed May 22, 2013 8:38 pm

WTH?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum