Four charged with baby selling, Michael Overby, 57, is a convicted SO, SIL Debbie Overby has a Record, Rose Faucett, 36, & Phillip Hester, 58 Are Bio Parents/Overby's Plead Guilty Baby Buying Scheme & Sentenced, Phillip Hester's Charges Dropped

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Four charged with baby selling, Michael Overby, 57, is a convicted SO, SIL Debbie Overby has a Record, Rose Faucett, 36, & Phillip Hester, 58 Are Bio Parents/Overby's Plead Guilty Baby Buying Scheme & Sentenced, Phillip Hester's Charges Dropped

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Published: April 13, 2011 at 1:29 PM

INDIANAPOLIS, April 13 (UPI) -- A new mother, the Indianapolis couple who took her in when she was pregnant and the alleged father of her child were charged Wednesday with selling the baby.

One of the defendants, Michael Overby, 57, was convicted in 1984 of molesting children, The Indianapolis Star reported.

Overby, his sister-in-law, Debbie Overby, 50, Rose Faucett, 36, and Phillip Hester, 58, appeared in court Wednesday morning. All were charged with conspiracy to sell a child. Michael Overby was also charged with forgery for allegedly signing a false affidavit claiming to be the father of Faucett's child, while she is charged with conspiracy to commit forgery.

A tearful Debbie Overby, the only one of the four out on bail, told reporters after the hearing she was only being a Good Samaritan when she found Faucett homeless and hungry.

"I did what anyone with a heart would do," she said. "I fed her and cooked for her and took her to the doctor."

Debbie Overby, who was married to Michael's late brother, has a conviction for child neglect. Because of their felony convictions, the couple would have been unable to adopt a child legally.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Pair traded truck for 2nd child

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 am

Man, woman accused of buying newborn were keeping girl, 4
Apr 14, 2011

Written by
John Tuohy

Two people charged with trying to buy a newborn also have been paying an Alabama couple hundreds of dollars to keep the couple's 4-year-old daughter, investigators said Wednesday.

Now, investigators are digging even deeper into the Indianapolis pair's past to see whether other children have lived in their Southside home.

Debbie Overby and her brother-in-law Michael Overby exchanged an old pickup truck for the girl, Emily Rose Lloyd, 21/2 years ago, authorities said Wednesday.

Since then, they have been paying her parents up to $200 a month to let them keep the child at the home they share in the 500 block of Perry Street, authorities said.

Marion County Deputy Prosecutor Mary Hutchison said the discovery could signal a history of child brokering.

"The investigators will be looking into every piece of information or tip they get to see if there is anything else there," Hutchison said. "This is an ongoing investigation. It's difficult to know what to expect. We have never seen a case quite like this in our office."

Hutchison said charges could be filed as early as next week against the Overbys for keeping Emily.

In addition, an 11-year-old boy lived in the home. He was legally adopted nine years ago by Debbie Overby and her husband, Danny Overby, who is now dead and was the brother of Michael Overby.

The boy is the son of Patricia Overby, who is Michael Overby's daughter. Patricia Overby was killed in 2006 by her ex-boyfriend.

Debbie Overby, 50, and Michael Overby, 58, along with an unmarried, homeless couple, were charged in Marion Superior Court on Wednesday with conspiracy to commit child selling. Debbie Overby has been released from the Marion County Jail, and Michael Overby remained there on $80,000 bond.

Investigators said the Overbys agreed to pay the homeless woman, Rose Faucett, 36, about $300 for her daughter, Anna Marie Rose Overby. Faucett gave birth to the girl April 2 at Wishard Memorial Hospital.

The baby's father, Phillip Hester, 58, also was charged. Hester said in court that he lives on Social Security disability checks and described himself as "retired."

Faucett and Hester each were in jail on $5,000 bond.

In court documents, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Detective Sgt. Jan Faber said the Overbys paid David and Rebecca Lloyd, of Alabama, $100 to $200 a month to let them keep Emily.

Michael Carlyle, 28, who is engaged to Debbie Overby's niece, said the Lloyds lived on Bacon Street, a block north of Perry Street, before moving out of state a few years ago to find work.

"They have three or four other kids," he said.

The Lloyds could not be reached for comment.

Carlyle said they have visited Emily twice a year and sometimes took her back to Alabama.

The Lloyds took Emily back to Alabama last week, police said. The 11-year-old adopted boy is in the custody of an in-law, and Anna Marie is in the custody of the Indiana Department of Child Services.

Mitchell Solomon, Debbie Overby's lawyer, said he wasn't aware that children other than the 11-year-old boy had lived at the house and said he couldn't comment on the allegations.

Solomon said Debbie Overby lives on $2,400 a month from her deceased husband's Social Security benefits. Half goes to her, and half goes to the 11-year-old adopted son.

The house where Debbie and Michael Overby lived was owned by her late husband, he said.

Prosecutors said the Overbys, Faucett and Hester all made a deal to give Anna Marie to the Overbys at birth, but Solomon said the baby's mother was the mastermind.

Debbie Overby said after Wednesday's hearing she was only trying to help Faucett when she took her into her home several months ago.

"I did what anyone with a heart would do," she said, before breaking down in tears outside the courtroom. "I fed her and cooked for her and took her to the doctor.

"She had no shoes, no coat, no money. She was homeless and had no place to stay."

Prosecutors said Michael Overby signed an affidavit at the hospital saying he was Anna Marie's birth father so the Overbys could gain legal custody of the girl. He also was charged with felony forgery. Faucett also was charged with conspiracy to commit forgery.

The Overbys by law could not have adopted Anna Marie because both have criminal records. Michael Overby was convicted of child molesting in 1984 and sentenced to four years in prison. Debbie Overby was convicted in 2009 of child neglect.

Police have been called to the Overby home at least twice to investigate reports of unsanitary living conditions, and reports have described it as "deplorable."

"It isn't fit for a hamster to live in," Carlyle said, "much less a child."

Oh, what a tangled web we weave! I am sitting here just shaking my head. WTH??

And, if the police had been "out there" twice and saw the deplorable conditions, WHY didn't they remove the children? Especially if they ran them on NCIC. It would have shown these idiots had records for child molestation and child neglect. Hello? Does any of this make sense?

Jeanne, I don't know if you get this on your local news, but if you do..let us know what you're hearing. TIA!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Four charged with baby selling, Michael Overby, 57, is a convicted SO, SIL Debbie Overby has a Record, Rose Faucett, 36, & Phillip Hester, 58 Are Bio Parents/Overby's Plead Guilty Baby Buying Scheme & Sentenced, Phillip Hester's Charges Dropped

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 am

faint I am always shocked when I read stories like this. Were they buying babies and children then molesting them? Holy cow. I am so glad they got busted.

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Four charged with baby selling, Michael Overby, 57, is a convicted SO, SIL Debbie Overby has a Record, Rose Faucett, 36, & Phillip Hester, 58 Are Bio Parents/Overby's Plead Guilty Baby Buying Scheme & Sentenced, Phillip Hester's Charges Dropped

Post by raine1953 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:13 pm

What a bunch of sickos!
Are the Lloyds being charged for renting their child out to these people? I sure hope so.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Two plead guilty in baby buying scheme

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The couple accused of trying to buy a newborn for $300 have entered guilty pleas, according to court officials.

Michael Overby, 57, and Debbie Overby, 50, were facing charges in connection with a plan to buy a baby born to Phillip Hester, 58, and Rose Faucett, 36, police said. All four people were arrested in early April.

According to court documents, Faucett was pregnant when she met the Overbys. She told police that Debbie Overby offered to adobt her baby, but couldn’t officially do so due to an earlier felony conviction. So, Faucett said, Debbie Overby offered her $300 to give the baby to the Overbys.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police said Michael Overby signed a paternity affidavit falsely stating he was the biological father of the child. Hester, the actual biological father of the child, told police he went along with the plan because he “did not want anything to do with the child.”

Debbie Overby was on probation at the time, stemming from a conviction for neglect of a dependent. Michael Overby is a convicted sex offender.

Hester and Faucett have pretrial hearing set for Aug. 24 and jury trials scheduled to start Aug. 29.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Michael and Debbie Overby
Can you imagine what these two disgusting people would have done to a baby? He's a S.O. and she's got a record too. This makes me so sick. I wonder what kind of time they're looking at. I hope Hester and Faucett spend a long time behind bars w/ these two.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:08 am

🇳🇴

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Women gets house arrest for baby buying scheme

The woman police said tried to buy a baby for $300 was sentenced to home detention Friday, and charges were dismissed for another suspect in the case.

Debbie Overby, 50, who pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit child selling in early August, was sentenced Friday to two years of home detention, with one year suspended.

According to court documents, she and Michael Overby, 57, offered a pregnant woman $300 to leave her baby with them . Because of earlier convictions, the pair told the mom-to-be, they could not adopt.

That pregnant woman, Rose Faucett, has a hearing set on Oct. 28, according to court records.

Charges against the biological father of the child, Phillip Hester, have been dismissed.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Ind. woman gets 3 years for trying to buy baby

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — An Indianapolis woman who pleaded guilty to trying to buy a baby from a homeless woman has been sentenced to three years in prison.

The Indianapolis Star reports (http://bit.ly/qaBHPm ) that 50-year-old Debbie Overby was sentenced Friday in Marion Superior Court after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit child-selling. Her sentence includes two years on home detention and one year of probation.

Overby will serve an additional year on home detention for violating probation in a prior child neglect case.

Her 57-year-old brother-in-law, Michael Overby, was sentenced last week to six years for conspiracy to commit child-selling and forgery.

Investigators said the Overbys agreed to pay a homeless woman about $300 for her daughter. The woman gave birth to the girl in April at an Indianapolis hospital.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:44 pm

This is the house of the woman in July 2009 who tried to buy a newborn for $300!
Mother arrested for leaving child in filthy home

Indianapolis - Police arrested an Indianapolis mother for child neglect. Debbie Overby, 48, was charged with leaving her 10-year-old son in filthy conditions in their East Perry Street home.

Investigators say the home she and her son were living in wasn't even fit for animals.

Animal Control first went to investigate a complaint about animals not being cared for in a backyard. That's where police say they found the 10-year-old, Overby, 14 dogs, two cats and countless cockroaches.

"When the officer was approaching the residence, he could smell a strong odor of what he described as urine and fecal matter, emitting from the house," said IMPD Lt. Jeff Duhamell.

Investigators took pictures of the inside that show animal feces on the floor, clothing everywhere, dishes and garbage on the floors and sink.

"The stench and smell was just deplorable," said Lt. Jeffrey Duhamell. "The clothing was piled up four feet high in some areas."

"Even where the kid was living inside the bedroom was full of feces and trash and debris," said Lt. Jerry Bippus with Animal Care and Control.

Child Protective Services took the boy. Some of the animals wound up at the shelter, but seven of the dogs had to be euthanized.

"They had a severe skin issue that was untreatable," said Lt. Bippus. "The vet even recommended euthenasia and that's what we did."

When Eyewintess News stopped by Overby's East Perry Street Home, people wearing protective masks said they were friends with Overby and there to help clean up.

"I don't care who you are, you just gotta clean up after yourself, " said Lt. Duhamell.

"The animals would not want to live in, let alone, a little ten-year-old," Duhamell added.

Overby's troubles may just be starting. Animal Care and Control is considering animal cruelty charges against her too.

more images at the link.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:50 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe what I just read! That is ALL she gets is Home Detention?????? And, she has a prior record of doing the same damned thing???

We will be hearing of her again and I pray it isn't too late for some young, innocent life! angry

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by HippyChick2 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:11 am

Guess the pregnant woman didn't mind living in squalor while she was waiting for her baby to be born?
These two people are so creepy, so disgusting, you can almost imagine the flies swarming above their heads and the cockroaches climbing out of the brother's beard.
Yuck.
Home detention might be a pretty nasty punishment in that home. Please tell me at least the 11 yr old adopted son was removed from the home???

Now you see why so many kids are abused and subjected to people like this. Our system is very broke and needs fixed. Home detention is completely ridiculous.
HippyChick2

http://www.abbiespot.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum