Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!!

+14
Lilone
michelle_ellis
raine1953
annacanna
jeanne1807
Slys Hunny
laga
adelacruz
NiteSpinR
charminglane
Wrapitup
Nama
lisette
mommyof3kids
18 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 Empty Re: 7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!!

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:06 pm

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 4e25be10
Nick's family and Leah's family huddled on either side of the Coos County courtroom door Monday evening.

Some cried. Some hugged. Some, finally, went home.

"This is always the hardest part," Robert McCrea's paralegal Maryann Howard told some of McGuffin's family sitting on benches in the courthouse hallways.

They are all waiting to hear the fate of Nick McGuffin. It is unknown how long the jury will deliberate, weighing the evidence from both prosecution and defense to decide if McGuffin killed his girlfriend, Leah Freeman, 11 years ago.

The jury began deliberations a little before 3:30 p.m., shortly after closing statements. It started up again this morning at 8:45 a.m.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 Empty Re: 7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!!

Post by Nama Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 pm

After less than a day of deliberation, the jury reaches a verdict finding Nicholas McGuffin guilty of killing his girlfriend.

The jury found McGuffin guilty of manslaughter but not guilty of murder.

Both Leah Freeman's mother and the district attorney say the jury's verdict is what they were hoping for. As for the accused, Nicholas McGuffin, it was the most emotional moment of the trial.

Tears rolled down his cheeks and he visibly shook as the judge read his fate aloud in the courtroom.

District attorney Paul Fraiser says he felt the jury listened and chose the right verdict.

But Frasier says after 11 years, it's the toughest case he's had. Tough, because there was no concrete evidence and all the rumors flying around town didn't help.

"I don't think you can say that there's one piece that sold the case. I think this was a circumstantial case where you had a circumstance atop of a circumstance to get to the ultimate conclusion," says Fraiser.

As for Freeman's mother, Cory Courtright says she's elated that the jury found McGuffin guilty.

Since the man's arrest she says she knew they had the right guy.

"It's always all been about justice for me. Leah didn't deserve her fate," says Courtright.

But now that McGuffin is convicted of killing her daughter, Courtright feels there's closure in the long nightmare.

"Nothing will ever bring Leah back. But nobody should ever get away with what happened to her. Nobody," says Courtright.

Other family members joined in the celebration. Courtright's sister and brother say they're satisfied with the outcome.

"I feel like justice has really honestly done today," says Carrie Shields, Leah's aunt.

"It's been a long time coming. Our family's been just crushed from day one. And we lost our mother and father, we wish they could have been here to witness this moment," says Rich Courtright.

McGuffin's attorney's could not be reached for comment. But Fraiser says he anticipates an appeal after sentencing.

McGuffin may serve up to ten years in prison.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 pm

A jury Tuesday found Nicholas McGuffin, 29, guilty of manslaughter in the death of 15-year-old Leah Freeman in 2000. The vote was 10 to 2. The jury found McGuffin not guilty of murder, also on a 10-2 vote. Sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 1.

When the verdict was read, Freeman’s mother, Cory Courtright, slumped back in her chair, eyes closed. After the hearing ended, Courtright, who has fought for more than a decade for justice for her daughter, had to be helped from her chair and out of the courtroom.

McGuffin’s mother, Kathy McGuffin, stared at the jurors one by one and shook her head after the verdict was read. Judge Richard Barron, who had previously told people attending the trial that there was to be no reaction in the courtroom to the verdict, ordered her and McGuffin’s girlfriend to leave the room.

Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier said after the hearing that this had been the toughest and biggest case of his career. Courtright said in a press conference that she was overwhelmed, and that she didn’t know how to say thank you to Frasier and the local police. “It’s been a long 11 years,” she said. “Justice has been served.”

Freeman disappeared on June 28, 2000, after leaving a friend’s home. Her body was found five weeks later, in a forested area east of Coquille. At the time she was dating McGuffin, then 18, a relationship that her friends and family disapproved of.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:29 pm

by prayerbone Today at 4:53 pm

Hi Guys sorry been away so long been a real busy time in my life with work and what not!!

Sending Cory a big hug xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Manslaughter here means he didnt go out with a plan to kill Leah, that it was a spontaneous action etc....

Im hoping he might confess, when he appears for sentencing!!

Anyhow love to u all muahxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and a bigger muah to Cory cause shes cuter :p xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So glad to see you here and TOTALLY understand what you mean about being sorry for not being here as much as we use too! Life gets away with us sometimes huh! but in the end here we all are, together and just thankful that our precious Leah has finally gotten the justice she so long has deserved! :cheering: ruled ruled party
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 am

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 774410
Cory you have been an inspiration to all who seek to find justice for the loss of a love one. We all admire the strength and patience that you've shown.
NiteSpinR
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:13 am

God Bless Cory. When that verdict of "Guilty" was read I am sure the weight of the world lifted from her shoulders.

Now it is time for her to heal. She has fought a tough battle. One no parent should ever have to fight.

11 long years. Wow.
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 am

Nicholas James McGuffin killed his 15-year-old girlfriend 11 years ago, a Coos County jury decided Tuesday, and he’ll spend the next nine years in prison paying for it.

The verdict came after four hours of deliberation by a jury and a decade of dogged pursuit of McGuffin by Cory Courtright, the mother of Coquille High School freshman Leah Freeman, who disappeared after leaving a friend’s house on June 28, 2000. Freeman’s body was discovered in a forested area east of Coquille five weeks later, so badly decomposed that the county medical examiner couldn’t determine the precise cause of death.

The delay in finding Freeman’s body made retrieving physical evidence tough, and as the months pressed on without an arrest, Courtright and the community seethed. On Tuesday, Courtright said she finally got the “justice for Leah” for which she never quit campaigning.

The reading of the verdict carried all of the drama and suspense of the past 11 years, boiled down into a few tense moments. “Breathe,” someone said to Courtright as she walked into the courtroom Tuesday morning.

Circuit Court Judge Richard Barron began by admonishing those in the courtroom to keep their emotions after the verdict to themselves.

“There is to be absolutely no reaction by anybody at all, no matter what this verdict is,” Barron said sternly, looking out into the crowd. “And I will enforce that rule if I have to.”

As the jury forewoman presented the envelope to the judge, Nicholas McGuffin’s mother, Kathy, kept her arms wrapped around Maegan Edgerton, the 29-year-old girlfriend of Nicholas and mother of his child. Both women were shaking.

“We find the defendant … ” Barron read, but then he stopped, looking puzzled.

“Did I fill it out wrong?” the jury forewoman asked from her seat, and indeed she had, leaving the people in the courtroom to wait a few minutes longer, while the jury returned to their room to correct the mistake.

Then, finally, came the conviction. The jury found McGuffin not guilty of the charge of first-degree murder, by a vote of 10 to 2. They found him guilty, by the same margin, on the charge of manslaughter, which requires that the jury find McGuffin “recklessly” caused Freeman’s death.

As Barron announced the verdict, Courtright fell back into her front-row seat, eyes closed. Kathy McGuffin and Edgerton each let out a cry, and Nicholas McGuffin’s gaze dropped to the floor as he shook and wept.

When his mother regained her composure, she glared at the jurors, one by one, shaking her head, until Barron noticed, and threw both her and Edgerton out of the courtroom.

“Ma’am,” Barron said. “You and you need to leave, now.”

“We will go,” Kathy McGuffin shot back, and she and Edgerton walked out.

Outside the courthouse, Courtright paced as she made phone calls to deliver the news. At a press conference held shortly after the verdict, Courtright said she was “overwhelmed” and that “justice has been served.”

“I look at law enforcement, (Coos County District Attorney) Paul Frasier and I don’t even know how to say ‘Thank you,’ ” she said, as most of the Coquille Police Department lined up against the wall. “I’ve gotten to know some of you pretty good.”

Replied one of the police officers, “You’ve gotten to yell at us pretty good, too.”

“A mom’s gotta do what a mom’s gotta do,” Courtright replied. After the press conference, she hugged several of the officers and posed for a group photo.

McGuffin and his family had a much different reaction. Reached by telephone Tuesday afternoon, McGuffin’s father, Bruce McGuffin, said, “I have nothing to say” in a heavy voice. Later, in a statement released through Shaun McCrea, Nicholas McGuffin’s Eugene attorney, he added “Nick McGuffin has been convicted, but it is extremely doubtful the Leah Freeman case has actually been solved.”

McCrea said she was “incredibly disappointed” in the verdict because it wasn’t supported by evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, and that her client intends to appeal.

At the press conference, a clearly elated Frasier thanked his staff, the officers and especially Mark Dannels, the former police chief who reopened the case along with the DA shortly after his arrival in 2008.

Frasier said he didn’t know he had a case until after investigators began re-interviewing witnesses and sorting out the rumor mill.

The case was easily the biggest and the most difficult of the DA’s 26-year career, he said, in terms of the amount of time he spent on it and the circumstantial evidence he put together to prove McGuffin guilty, with no forensic evidence, no eyewitnesses, not even a precise cause of death.

“It was circumstantial evidence on top of circumstantial evidence on top of circumstantial evidence, to get to the ultimate conclusion,” Frasier said.

But new witnesses came forward with new information, including David Brakefield, who claimed McGuffin once said to him, “I strangled that bitch” and “I’ve killed before.” Oddly enough, Frasier said, the McGuffin family inadvertently led investigators to Brakefield in an attempt to clear Nicholas McGuffin’s name.

“We found out about Mr. Brakefield from a person the McGuffin family steered us to,” Frasier said.

Former Mayor Steve Britton said some in the community will be disappointed with the manslaughter conviction, a Measure 11 crime that carries a mandatory 10-year prison term, meaning McGuffin will serve a little more than nine years with credit for the time he’s served since his arrest last August, Frasier said. Others believed McGuffin innocent, Britton said.

When he was first locked up, “I wondered, ‘Did they arrest the right person?’ Just because the girlfriend disappears doesn’t mean the boyfriend did it,” Britton said. But after hearing bits and pieces from the trial, he said, “I felt they had the right person on trial. I don’t believe he intentionally meant to kill her, though.”

Former chief Dannels, reached by telephone in Arizona, said he was “satisfied” with the verdict, especially in light of how tough the case was to prove.

“It restores the community’s faith in the criminal justice system,” he said, noting how much criticism was directed at police who handled the case at the time. “It shows you can’t run. Even after all these years.”

McGuffin’s sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 1 at 1:30 p.m.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:19 am

So happy that he is being held responsible for Leah's death...Wish he had to serve more time. I really think he didn't plan to kill her, but he's been free all this time, and it doesn't seem like enough of his life is being taken away in exchange for hers. BUT we will take what we can get. ruled party Group Hug crazy 1
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am

I could have sworn I posted last night. Have been flat on my back sick.

I just got off the phone w/Cory. She is ELATED, OVER THE MOON (her words) that Nick got Manslaughter in the First Degree. The minimum sentence (I looked it up while speaking to her is 10 years in Oregon), I am trying to find the MAX sentence. It is up the the judge.

Thank GOD he got what is coming to him!! Cory is Very Happy and cannot wait for Aug. 1 to stand before him and tell him what she thinks of him. She said she has been waiting almost 11 years to do that.

I told her after the 1st of August to go to a spa, then take a longggg vacation..somewhere away from Oregon.

She said that Meagan and the McGuffin's started shouting, "no" when the verdict was read and they were kicked out of the courtroom. I just LOVE Karma!!

This is for Cory! :cheering: pole dancer pole dancer pole dancer pole dancer pole dancer pole dancer pole dancer
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by mayhem Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 am

Hello all! So happy for Leah's justice!

It really bothers me that Nick preferred "rolling the dice" on getting off, instead of coming clean and telling the truth. Nick was vomiting, fidgety, anxious, needed to be treated for panic attacks. Sounds like his body was desperate to shed that secret. I understand he could have plead guilty to manslauter and avoided this whole trial -- and he STILL decided to keep his mouth shut. He could have cleansed his conscience and given Cory an accurate account of exactly what happened that night. Then he would have had the chance to apologize to Leah, to God, to Cory.

Instead, he chose to keep silent. I hope the judge has a great deal of flexibility to sentence him on the extreme range for this sentence. He has no remorse or any desire to do the right thing. And he has a child somewhere? Dear God.

I also wish Nick's mother and father had been put on the stand to explain what it was that they burned at the family bonfire the night after Leah disappeared. His parents have acted indignant and arrogant through this whole ordeal.

Cory -- love to you & lots of hugs.

mayhem

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:42 am

So, he turned down a deal months ago for Manslaughter 1. Wonder how much time they would have given him for that "deal"??? He thought he would get OFF Scott Free!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mayhem Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Yep, Wrap. Paul Frasier said in a press conference they offered him manslaughter 1 several months ago and he turned it down. (It's above in video link BJ posted today at 9:59 a.m.)

I wonder what time they offered him back then, too!

mayhem

Back to top Go down

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 Empty Intent is the difference between Murder and Manslaughter

Post by Nama Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:44 pm

The jury convicted Leah Freeman's boyfriend of Manslaughter, not Murder, but what is the difference? Legal experts say it all comes down to the intent.
Veteran Oregon Criminal Defense Attorney Laura Grazier says that under Oregon Law, Murder means a person sets out to kill someone, or kills someone while committing another Felony, like Robbery or Rape.
Manslaughter is when someone kills another person with "extreme indifference to the value of human life."
Now in the McGuffin case, the jury didn't have any physical evidence to explain how Leah Freeman died, only what people had said.
On Monday, during Closing Arguments, Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier did give an account of what the prosecution believes happened to Freeman on the night of June 28, 2000.
"...As she's walking away, she's thinking to herself, 'mom's right...Sherie's right, maybe this is not something I should be in'...The defendant finds her, the argument gets worse. 'this is my girl, no one else's'....finds her by the high school, tries to get her into the car. She loses a shoe. She ends up with a bloody lip, or a bloody nose. She screams, which is what was heard by Mr. Bounds, and in an effort to keep her quiet, or in anger, he strangled her."
The Defense argued that there was just no physical evidence to tie McGuffin to Freeman's death.
Frasier does expect that McGuffin's Attorney's will appeal the verdict.
Manslaughter is a Measure 11 crime, with a mandatory 10 year sentence. McGuffin, however, is expected to receive credit for the one year that he has already spent behind bars since his arrest.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:46 pm

As long as Cory is happy. I am happy. Thanks for letting us know Wrap. Cory certainly deserves to be happy after 11 long years.

I have to ask. If he gets 10 years..how long will he actually be in prison.

He has served one year waiting and I know they give time off for good behavior. Anybody know?
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by mayhem Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I just stumbled upon this testimonial given by Nick's parents back in 3/2010 to a realtor who seems to have sold them their "piece of paradise" in Hawaii, presumably about 5 months prior to Nick's arrest. They mention that they only had a few years until retirement. Ouch.

mayhem

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Looks like he will get out in 9 years. However, I read that 10 years is the Minimum sentence. So, IDK. I think it's up to the judge. I have looked online and can't find a thing for the MAX sentence.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:11 pm

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 4e2712765e80e.image

World Photos by Benjamin Brayfield Cory Courtright, mother of victim Leah Freeman, reacts after Judge Richard Barron read the verdict on Tuesday. Her niece, Melissa Beebe, left, testified that McGuffin allegedly told her in 2003, 'It's amazing what you can get away with in Coos County."

mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Slys Hunny Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:44 pm

A mother set free

Courtright said she feels at peace for the first time in 11 years.

'It is OK to move on now," she said. 'I couldn't move on, because Leah was gone and no one was paying. Justice for Leah was done today
'Denise has missed her mom," she said. 'I love Denise with all my heart and soul, and she needs me."

Courtright also intends to spend more time with her grandchildren. Someday, she might become an advocate for a family going through an experience similar to her own.

But for now, she feels 'elated" to be free from the 11-year burden of pursuing justice.

'I've been a bitter, angry person for a lot of years," Courtright said. 'Eventually, one of these days soon, the real Cory is going to come back. I'm going to bounce back."

These are my favorite parts of this article. Im so happy for Cory!!!
Slys Hunny
Slys Hunny

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:46 pm

McGuffin will be sentenced Aug. 1. Manslaughter is a Measure 11 crime, so he will face a minimum of 10 years in prison and a maximum of 20. Any sentence will include time served, in this case one year.

c81b17755e24.html#ixzz1Sg05Xinv

I got the minimum and maximum from the article Mommy posted above. I hope the judge gives him the maximum. If he does not I hope he gives him 15 years, one year for each year of Leah's life. She deserves at least that.
RIP now dear Leah....
Cory, I hope this a beginning of a absolutely wonderful life for you.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Very well put Rain! At least 15 years makes sense to me too!

When I read from the above about NM's Mom Kathy and his Baby Momma, Megaen and the way they acted in court, I thought to myself, "What a couple of Class acts"

Last edited by mommyof3kids on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:21 pm

I agree with what you said about NM's Mom and the Baby Momma. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in this case either.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:35 pm

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 Chicke10

Here is a bowl of homemade chicken soup to comfort your soul, Cory. I wish I were there to serve it to you.
You must feel like you went 12 rounds with Mike Tyson all these years.
Welcome to peace.
charminglane
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:18 pm

COQUILLE -- Less than an hour after a Coos County jury had convicted Nick McGuffin of manslaughter, the verdict was already the subject of discussion at Fraser's Restaurant in Coquille.
'I think it's probably the right thing to do," 66-year-old Wayne Nelson said, leaning over his coffee. 'I'm sure the jury did what they had to do.
His friend, Ed Morris, agreed that a murder conviction would have been a mistake.
'From what I've read in the paper, I wouldn't have voted to convict."
A man from a different table chimed in his agreement, to which Nelson added, 'I think you've got to trust your jury. That's what they're there for."
The conversation continued later at Nelson's barber shop.
'That's what I figured he'd get is manslaughter," said Jack Hillar, waiting to get his hair cut.
Rod Summers, a former Coos County sheriff's deputy, had a similar sentiment.
'There's no way in hell they were going to prove intentional murder," he said. 'I think justice was served."

mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:10 pm

mayhem wrote:I just stumbled upon this testimonial given by Nick's parents back in 3/2010 to a realtor who seems to have sold them their "piece of paradise" in Hawaii, presumably about 5 months prior to Nick's arrest. They mention that they only had a few years until retirement. Ouch.

I heard or read this about a year ago. I firmly believe his Parents knew the truth of what happened and helped cover it all up. So what ever they get they deserve. I am elated that Cory is happy with the verdict. That is what really matter most to me is Cory. Leah is in heaven with her Grandparents and her Father. I just know they are all so proud of Cory and Denise. mayhem I am so happy to see you posting. Don't stay away so long next time Couple Hugging
crazy 1
Nick
:celebration:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 pm

lindamarie wrote:
mayhem wrote:I just stumbled upon this testimonial given by Nick's parents back in 3/2010 to a realtor who seems to have sold them their "piece of paradise" in Hawaii, presumably about 5 months prior to Nick's arrest. They mention that they only had a few years until retirement. Ouch.

I heard or read this about a year ago. I firmly believe his Parents knew the truth of what happened and helped cover it all up. So what ever they get they deserve. I am elated that Cory is happy with the verdict. That is what really matter most to me is Cory. Leah is in heaven with her Grandparents and her Father. I just know they are all so proud of Cory and Denise. mayhem I am so happy to see you posting. Don't stay away so long next time Couple Hugging
crazy 1
Nick
I posted about his parents and their "piece of paradise" quite some time ago. I wonder if they had to sell it to pay for Nick's legal expenses.
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:46 pm

I remember that BJ. I wonder if they were able to hang on to it after all Nicks legal expenses as well. I can't remember if Nick has 1 or 2 boys. I am pretty sure he has 2 kids. I will be praying that those children are adults before their Father gets out of prison.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:50 pm

I know he has one and there was talk that Meagan was pregnant.

Remember all that mess at CSO? WOW!! I wonder what those peeps have to say now!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 Empty McGuffin's attorneys will appeal conviction

Post by Nama Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Tuesday morning, the verdict was in. Not guilty of murder, but guilty of manslaughter. Now, Nick McGuffin faces ten years in prison. But his defense team says this case is not closed.

Nick McGuffin's defense lawyers, father-daughter team Robert and Shaun McCrea of Eugene released this statement: “Nick McGuffin has been convicted, but it is extremely doubtful the Leah Freeman case has actually been solved.”

Manslaughter is a Measure 11 offense; it comes with standard sentence of 120 months in prison. McGuffin has already been in jail about a year, and will receive credit for that time served.

At a press conference Tuesday, District Attorney Paul Frasier said his team was very satisfied by the verdict, and called it the toughest case he's ever worked on. Prosecutors had little concrete evidence, no "smoking gun," and no eyewitness to the crime. Frasier said, "You had to lay circumstance on top of circumstance on top of circumstance to get to the ultimate conclusion." Frasier thanked law enforcement for the countless hours of work put into the case, "Every agency—police agency—in this county had something to do with this case at some point or another."

The D.A. says he will not be prosecuting anyone else for involvement in Freeman's disappearance, or covering up her death.

Nick McGuffin is due back in Coos County court August 1st for his sentencing hearing. His attorneys have 30 days after that to file notice of appeal. As for the $10,000 reward offered for the successful prosecution in Leah Freeman's murder, police say no one has inquired yet.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle_ellis Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:05 am

Cory, this would never have happened without you! We all know that it won't bring Leah back and it isn't fair that Nick will get to live any of his life walking free - but at least he has to pay for his crime. Without your persistance this would never have happened and his ignorant comment about not believing what people can get away with in Coos County would ring true. Hello Nick, you can't get away with anything when a mother fights as hard as you did to get law enforcement to wake up and do something. I am so glad you will have a chance to give him a piece of your mind at sentencing. You remain in my thoughts and prayers!

michelle_ellis

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:17 am

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 Nickgf
Meghan Edgerton and Bruce McGuffin, foreground, listen to the verdict. Edgerton dated Nick McGuffin before his indictment last year. Bruce McGuffin is his father

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 am

Maybe now she believes it. She was living w/a murderer.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:35 am

Is CSO still going? I had kind of forgotten about them but that was our roots? I forget his name and the wife. I wonder what happened to them?
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by mayhem Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:37 am

lindamarie wrote:

crazy 1
Nick

:) I was sure you guys had uncovered this long ago! I found it profoundly sad.

Thanks for your kind words, Lindamarie!

mayhem

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:52 pm

As far as I know, Meagan has one child a little girl with NM, not sure if she was pregnant and can't remember anything about that.

March 31st, 2010

Aloha Christi,

Thank-you so much for helping us find our own "piece of paradise". It took us awhile to find the perfect property, but you did not give up on us. We really appreciated the ease and quickness of our purchase and your knowledge of the area was very helpful. Now, we are just counting down the few years left until retirement.

Mahalo,

Bruce and Kathy McGuffin

Coquille, Oregon

It is interesting that they boug ht property in HI just a few months after they found out the trial was re-opened isn't it Suspect
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 pm

jeanne1807 wrote:Is CSO still going? I had kind of forgotten about them but that was our roots? I forget his name and the wife. I wonder what happened to them?
Their names were Yourturntohelp and Mrs Yourturntohelp. just kidding
YT is Facebook friends with someone that I went to highschool with that now lives in TX. I was surprised when I looked at the names of his friends and saw YT.....AKA Tommie Gibson. CSO is just a memory, but it was where we all met, so........
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Didn't he go by another name as well? "Yourturd" or something like that? duct and run
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Wrapitup wrote:Didn't he go by another name as well? "Yourturd" or something like that? duct and run
You don't have to duct and run around here when you say that. I think we all thought he was one when CSO went 7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 Boom-1 without any warning.
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:30 pm

We shouldn't be talking about this here so please let me just say, sorry Cory, for putting this crappola here but he did allow those idiots to go on and on and on about what a great guy Nick was and I know it caused you a lot of stress.

BJ, You're right, and I shouldn't have to duct and run
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

7/19 - Nick McGuffin guilty of manslaughter in the death of Leah Freeman/ Nicholas McGuffin sentenced to 10 years/ Judge will hear McGuffin's motion on 9/9/2011/BREAKING NEWS: JUDGE WILL NOT ALLOW A NEW TRIAL!!!!! - Page 4 Empty Leah Freeman

Post by Wrapitup Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:45 pm

I just wanted to let everyone know that I got an email from Cory. She said to tell everyone hello and that she will be coming our way once things settle down.

The latest: 20/20 contacted Cory yesterday to do a follow-up to the October broadcast. So, the reporters are back in Coquille and ABC is saying it will air Next Saturday, July 30th. So, please set your DVR's!! I know they changed the date a couple of time before but for now, that is the date they have chosen!!

Also, Cory is having a big family BBQ on Sunday, July 31st in honor of Leah's life.

Then, on August 1, she will be in court for Nick McGuffin's sentencing and will have the opportunity to stand in front of him and let him have it!

She is very excited about Finally getting her chance to tell him what she thinks of him and how it's impacted her life.

God Bless Cory!! She is a real trooper and someone I highly regard for all she has gone through and how she has fought and fought to get the murder locked up and have some justice for Leah!
angel
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:26 am

20/20 will be covering the 2nd segment of Leah Freeman's trial on Friday, July 30. On July 31, the family is having a BBQ to honor Leah's life.

Than, on August 1, Nick McGuffin w/be sentenced. Cory will get to stand up and tell him just what she thinks of him. She is very excited about this and has waited 11 years to have her say!

She also wanted me to say hello to everyone and that she misses us but is very busy and tired and will be on VH as soon as she can.

I told her to take her time. She deserves a longgg break! ❤

NS, I just Love your posts with the pics!!! They are beautiful!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:33 am

I will program my DVR to record that 20/20, that sure is one I will not want to miss.
I'm so glad that Cory will have her chance to finally tell Nick what she feels/thinks. This has been a long time coming and I hope that she unloads everything on to Nick and let him have the misery and heartache she's had to endure for these eleven years.
Cory, you got Justice for Leah. Without the fight you gave it for all these years, I doubt that it would have ever been done. Be proud of what you've accomplished and I do hope that you can now start living a new and peaceful life. Leah is proud of you!
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:44 am

by Wrapitup Today at 1:26 am

I think of Cory and Leah every day, these pictures seemed like the most appropriate way for me to let her know.
NiteSpinR
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:03 am

NiteSpinR I really enjoyed your pictures. They brought some beauty to the sadness we all felt for Cory as she waited for those words "guilty".

They mean sooooo much to a family when they know who harmed their loved one.

Charms Chicken Soup for Cory was nice too.

What a nice bunch of friends we have here! Lucky us.
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by adelacruz Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:55 am

Wrapitup wrote:20/20 will be covering the 2nd segment of Leah Freeman's trial on Friday, July 30. On July 31, the family is having a BBQ to honor Leah's life.

Than, on August 1, Nick McGuffin w/be sentenced. Cory will get to stand up and tell him just what she thinks of him. She is very excited about this and has waited 11 years to have her say!

She also wanted me to say hello to everyone and that she misses us but is very busy and tired and will be on VH as soon as she can.

I told her to take her time. She deserves a longgg break! ❤

Can't wait to watch it!! :D
i'm at a loss for words for Cory! she is one strong mom! she deserves a long break after all this!!
WE LOVE YOU CORY!!! :cheering:
adelacruz
adelacruz

Back to top Go down

Post by prayerbone Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi gang!! Ive been catching up with everything, and reading some of the trial stuff...I think manslaughter was the best we were going to get, like the police said to prove murder 1 after all these years would be near impossble...If i'm being honest i don't think Nick drove off from Cheri's with the intention of murder, so in the laws eyes thats Manslaughter...

The thing that i'm peeved at, the jury obviously took on board the womans statement about seeing two guys with a woman walkin along the rd WHOS THE SECOND GUY!! Whoever he is hes harboured this for years, would of giving Cory a lot of closure if he had come forward, and he's walkin scotfree???

prayerbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next