Brian Crabtree Sentenced for Rape & Murder of 2-Year-Old Katelynn Stinnett

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Brian Crabtree Sentenced for Rape & Murder of 2-Year-Old Katelynn Stinnett

Post by NiteSpinR on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The 18-year-old man accused of raping and murdering a 2-year-old girl told police that he dropped the child from a height about level with his shoulders before sexually assaulting her, according to testimony Friday in a court hearing.

A Fayette County grand jury will consider the case of Brian Crabtree.

Katelynn Stinnett’s mother and some other relatives listened as a police detective recounted his interview with Crabtree.

Lexington Police Sgt. Jesse Harris testified that Crabtree gave him a taped confession several hours after the alleged crimes occurred.

According to Harris, Crabtree said he gave Katelynn a bath on the afternoon of Nov. 25, at a Lexington apartment off Versailles Road. He then dropped her from a height of about his shoulders to the floor before raping her.

Katelynn’s mother, Angela Johns, cried quietly in the courtroom, and an aunt was heard gasping,
“Oh my God.”

Katelynn died of her injuries on Dec. 3, 2008

Crabtree’s public defender Sam Cox asked Harris if he knew that Crabtree has an IQ of just 68 or that Crabtree couldn’t read or write.

Harris said Crabtree said he had graduated from high school, and Harris didn’t question Crabtree further about his education.

Harris also said that Katelynn’s older brother, 3, was in the apartment at the time that Crabtree said he attacked Katelynn. The boy told investigators, according to Harris, “Brian hit sissy. Brian hit sissy.”

Crabtree was watching the children as their father and his roommate, Daniel Stinnett, worked. Stinnett returned home from work at a fire and disaster recovery company and found his daughter in a deep sleep, according to the children’s mother, who wasn’t living with them. Because it was around the child’s nap time, Stinnett didn’t think much about it and took her to a friend’s house.

When Katelynn wouldn’t wake up, he called his mother, and they went together to the hospital.

December 08, 2008
Katelynn’s mom speaks out following the alleged murder of her ‘little angel’

Like only a mother’s hands could, Angela Johns smooths out a white, tulle dress over a tiny coffin.

She fingers the pink ribbons that dangle from it until they are laid just right. Clutching a black scarf and pulling her hands to her face, she steps back, shuts her eyes, then looks again at the small dress.

Johns stares at two coffins before her in the Ellison Funeral Home Chapel, where she must choose the one that will hold her daughter, 2-year-old Katelynn Elizabeth Stinnett, who died Dec. 3 after being raped and abused by a man who was supposed to be baby-sitting.

Ultimately, she chose the one adorned with cherubs in each corner.

“She was my little angel,” she said.

Johns, 24, has three boys, the youngest of which was also living with his and Katelynn’s father, Daniel Stinnett, and was home at the time of Katelynn’s attack.

According to police, on Nov. 25, 18-year-old Brian Crabtree raped and threw the girl on the floor of the Lexington apartment he shared with the child’s father.

“He was Daniel’s roommate,” Johns said. “Daniel had known the guy for a while. They lived in the same trailer park for years. Whenever I met the guy, he was a very nice, sweet guy. I mean, a well-mannered country boy — very country boy — but he was a nice guy.”

Johns said Crabtree helped out with the kids after Daniel Stinnett could no longer afford to keep them in daycare. The two men and the children had recently moved into the Bradford Apartments off Versailles Road in Lexington.

“So he let Brian watch the kids, and every other weekend I got the kids,” she said. “But Brian was their caregiver and he’s been their caregiver for the last three months.

“Nobody ever expected this out of this man. But you can never tell, you can’t ever judge a book by its cover.”

Brian Crabtree’s charges were upgraded to murder Friday in Fayette District Court. He pleaded not guilty, although an arrest citation indicated that he had given a recorded confession to police.

A preliminary hearing scheduled for Friday morning was postponed until Dec. 12 because Crabtree had just been appointed a public defender.

Johns said she and Katelynn’s father were together for five years and had been married. They separated several months ago. Johns said she lived in London for two years until February, when she moved back to Lexington.

“We separated because ... it was two different people,” she said. “But as far as my relationship with him, I mean, when Katelynn passed away, we’ve come together good. He’s my friend, I’m his friend. He tries his best in life. He had the kids for a little while, since July 4, and he raised them the best way he could. I’m proud of him for that. He’s a great guy, but we just didn’t get along.”

When she first saw Daniel after Katelynn’s attack, she said, “I grabbed his hand and hugged. We was there for our daughter. We didn’t argue with each other, some people didn’t like it, but we didn’t care. It was our daughter.”

The attack occurred two days before Thanksgiving, and Katelynn remained in a medically-induced coma until her death Dec. 3.

“I was there with her every day, every night,” Johns said. “I spent the night every night, there every day. I was in the room when they pronounced her dead. I was there through the whole thing.”

Johns said she had taken Katelynn and her brother home the weekend prior to the attack, and hadn’t noticed any injuries.

Katelynn’s 3-year-old brother Matthew was taken into protective custody after his sister’s attack. Johns said there was no sign that the boy had been abused.

Other than a two-minute phone call on Thanksgiving, Johns hasn’t spoken to her son and does not know where he is staying.

“Her (Katelynn) and Matthew were inseparable. They were best friends,” she said. “I don’t know how I’m going to break it to him, but hopefully he don’t understand. He don’t know anything. He knows she’s in the hospital. I don’t even know if he’s seen what happened.”

Johns said both her youngest children were well-mannered and smart. Katelynn was already speaking sentences and, through the influence of older brothers, was becoming a bit of a tomboy.

“She was very vibrant, wonderful, had a personality, she was so special. Everyone that encountered Katelynn, she touched in some way,” Johns said. “She was — I’m not going to say was — she is the best thing that ever happened to me.”

Johns is making funeral arrangements with the help of her pastor at River of Life Church of God in Lexington. Ellison Funeral Home in Williamsburg is handling arrangements free of charge. Funeral Home Director Jim Paul said both the casket and the vault were donated to the family.

Services will be at 1 p.m. Sunday at River of Life Church of God, 1757 Wilderness Road in Lexington. Burial will follow at Clintonville Cemetery. Visitation will be after 6 p.m. Saturday (today) at the church.

A memorial fund in Katelynn’s name has been established through Community Trust Bank. Paul said donations made to the account will be used to support children who are victims of abuse.

Johns and her family arrived at the funeral home in Williamsburg Friday to collect photos for a memorial, choose music for the services and select a coffin. While family members comforted her, she took photos of the coffin and the dress with her cell phone to send to Katelynn’s father.

“It was final whenever I held her lifeless body in the hospital, but that was just so, so real right there,” John said after making her selection. “All I’m worried about is getting her to rest.

“She was my everything. I’m just glad the person that did it is in jail.”

Friday, 04 November 2011 11:42
21-year-old Brian Crabtree will spend the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole, after a judge sentenced him in the death of Katelynn Stinnett.
"Why would he want to take her away? She was so pretty, she was so sweet. So i don't know get why? I don't understand?," says Katelynn's mother, Angela Coleman

Crabtree was charged with the gruesome crime back in 2008, after officers say that he slammed the little girl onto the floor, while he was babysitting her, then sexually assaulted her.

"I just want you all to remember Katelynn and she wasn't neglected, she wasn't. she was a good child, just god wanted her, but it's just sad how she left the world," adds Coleman

Friends and family of the toddler, sat in the front row during the sentencing and say they have no remorse for Crabtree, as he will now spend the rest of his life behind bars.

"I wish he would just give an apology. something. i mean, it may sound sick to some of you all but an apology would be great. but, i'll never see that," explains Coleman

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Brian Crabtree Sentenced for Rape & Murder of 2-Year-Old Katelynn Stinnett

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:56 pm

What an adorable little girl. This makes me sick to my stomach!!!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Brian Crabtree Sentenced for Rape & Murder of 2-Year-Old Katelynn Stinnett

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:58 pm

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:45 am

cryingagain Her name was spelled exactly how my Katelynn's name is spelled. She was a beautiful child. Reading how she died was soul wrenching.

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:34 am

OMG. cryingagain
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum