Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

20 month old Ayla Reynolds Disappears from Father's Home in Maine/Ayla still missing 3 years later.

+8
Charlotte
dawn sangelo
lisette
NiteSpinR
Lilone
artgal16
raine1953
Wrapitup
12 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

20 month old Ayla Reynolds Disappears from Father's Home in Maine/Ayla still missing 3 years later. - Page 2 Empty Re: 20 month old Ayla Reynolds Disappears from Father's Home in Maine/Ayla still missing 3 years later.

Post by Lilone Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:07 am

This case has "Daddy's Guilty!" written all over it. According to the mom, baby broke her arm when daddy fell down the stairs with her in his arms... Yeah, right!

She acts all indignant about what a good mother she is, yet she sent the baby to daddy?! He's a slimeball, according to her, but I'm thinking it takes one to know one.

She also said baby Ayla sleeps in a toddler bed. WTF?

My grandtwins are 21 months old. This story makes me shudder!

God, please help baby Ayla, and all the other babies out there who have been brought into this world by degenerates like Dustin DiPietro and Trista Reynolds. praying

Lilone

Back to top Go down

20 month old Ayla Reynolds Disappears from Father's Home in Maine/Ayla still missing 3 years later. - Page 2 Empty Re: 20 month old Ayla Reynolds Disappears from Father's Home in Maine/Ayla still missing 3 years later.

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:34 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:09 am

Police Seize Vehicle of Missing Maine Girl's Father
Published December 20, 2011

Authorities searching for a missing Maine girl have seized a sport-utility vehicle belonging to the child's father.

The Portland Press Herald reported Tuesday that police removed two vehicles from the Waterville home where 20-month-old Ayla Reynolds lives with her father, Justin DiPietro.

The child, wearing a soft cast on a broken arm, was last seen by her father in her bed at around 8 p.m. Friday. DiPietro, 24, reported her missing at 8:51 a.m. Saturday when he found an empty bed, authorities said.

No arrests have been made in the case and investigators said it's possible the girl was abducted.

Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey said during a press conference Monday that several adults visited DiPietro's home Friday night, including at least one non-family member, according to the newspaper.

Searchers have since scoured the surrounding area, including a stream not far from DiPietro's home.

The Herald reported that police removed a 1996 Ford Explorer with a U.S. Marine Corps sticker on the rear windshield from DiPietro's driveway. The SUV is registered to DiPietro, according to records from the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Also taken was a 2002 Hyundai registered to a Portland woman whose name has not been released, according to the newspaper.

Ayla's mother, Trista Reynolds, told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Monday that she filed paperwork seeking sole custody of the child a day before she disappeared.

Reynolds, who lives in Portland, told the network that she and DiPietro have been unable to get along in the last few weeks. She said she didn't tell him that she'd filed the court paperwork Thursday.

"I've had no contact with him; he's had no contact with me. All I know is he's the last man to see my daughter, and all I want to know is where she is," she said.
Ayla is described as 2 feet 9 inches tall, weighing 30 pounds. She has blonde hair. She was last seen wearing green one-piece pajamas with polka dots and the words "Daddy's Princess" on them.

Massey said investigators have interviewed DiPietro and Reynolds, as well as other family members. He said they all were cooperative.

Police are urging anyone with information on Ayla's whereabouts to call them at 207-680-4700.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

video about above link.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:11 am

9:47 AM
Vigil set for missing toddler
By Doug Harlow

WATERVILLE — A candlelight vigil for missing 20-month-old Ayla Reynolds will be held at 4:30 p.m. today on the front steps of First Congregational Church, UCC, on Eustis Parkway.

The “Vigil Of Hope For Ayla Reynolds” is being organized by the group Mainely Moms & Dads.

Participants are asked to bring a safe-burning candle and to dress warm. A prayer and a moment of silence will be given to honor Ayla and her rescuers. All are welcome to attend and speak out.

Mainely Moms & Dads founder and mother of two little girls, Dana Bushee Hernandez, said she needed to do something to help Ayla and all the families in the community.

“We’re all so consumed by this story and our heart just aches for Ayla,” she said this morning. “We just had to do something.”

Mainely Moms & Dads was founded in 2007 as a support and social organization for parents in the Waterville and Augusta areas. They can be found on Facebook and on-line at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hernandez said the vigil is open to all members of the community, regardless of religious preference.

“We all just want answers,” Hernandez said. “We all just want to feel like we are doing something positive to help Ayla and all the people who are working so hard to find her. That unites us all.”

Ayla was last seen Friday night sleeping in her bed at her father’s home on Violette Avenue in Waterville, police said. She was reported missing at 8:50 a.m. the next morning when her father, Justin DiPietro, found her bed empty.

Waterville police, game wardens, state police, the FBI and civilian volunteers have conducted a massive search for the missing child since Saturday morning.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

20 month old Ayla Reynolds Disappears from Father's Home in Maine/Ayla still missing 3 years later. - Page 2 Empty Breaking News: Wardens Searching Waterville Dumpsters

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:14 am

WATERVILLE, Maine -- Maine Game Wardens are searching dumpsters outside a fitness/nightclub and hotel in Waterville.

News 8's Dave Guthro reports wardens are at Champions Fitness/Nightclub at 30 Elm Plaza. Wardens are also searching dumpsters outside a Comfort Inn on Main Street.

The dumpsters are about four miles from the Violette Street home where 20-month-old Ayla Reynolds disappeared.

Stay with News 8 and WMTW.com for the latest on this breaking news.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

20 month old Ayla Reynolds Disappears from Father's Home in Maine/Ayla still missing 3 years later. - Page 2 Empty Nancy Grace - Entire show on Ayla Reynolds - 12/19/11

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:22 am

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:36 am

They are looking for a dead body not a live child.
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:57 am

Yea, they are and I think they w/find her very soon. crying
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 am

I hope so - I cant understand this. His parents were in the house - they didnt hear anything? There was another child in the house that was his sisters - someone had to have heard something. Are they all covering this up together?
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 am

I don't know if the parents slept there. That has not been released. I have to say, I am extremely impressed with the Waterville PD, Maine SO and Maine FBI. They are doing a fantastic job, staying mum but leaving no stone unturned. This case is right up there w/HaLaigh Cummings for me. Don't know why, but it is.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Trash bins, stream searched in Maine toddler case

By GLENN ADAMS
The Associated Press

WATERVILLE, Maine — Investigators combed through trash bins, drained a stream and pored over more than 100 leads offered by the public in the search for a 20-month-old girl who disappeared from her father's home over the weekend.

The FBI also stepped up its effort to find Ayla Reynolds on Friday, launching a door-to-door canvass of neighbors to glean any scrap of information that may lead them to the little girl, said Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey. The investigation remains a missing-person case, he said.

Massey refused to speculate on whether Ayla was alive, saying authorities are focused on finding her.

"We've ruled out nothing," said Massey, whose central Maine agency has combined efforts with firefighters, state police, game wardens and the FBI.

Ayla was last seen when her father, Justin DiPietro, put her to bed Friday night. He called police to report her missing the following morning when he found her bed empty.

On Tuesday, a state police evidence vehicle remained outside the home that DiPietro shared with his mother in Waterville.

State police stationed outside the house told reporters that the DiPietros were not there. Their whereabouts were unknown to the public, and The Associated Press could not find phone numbers for them.

While the neighborhood was canvassed, police were checking out trash bins across the city. A stretch of Messalonskee Stream a few blocks from DiPietro home was drained nearly dry so wardens could get a better look, both from the ground and from an airplane overhead, officials said.

Massey said each of the 100 leads that have been given to police was being followed.

Meanwhile, Ayla's mother said she's trying to remain optimistic that her daughter is OK. Trista Reynolds said she's trying to keep it together for an 8-month-old son who remains in her care but acknowledges the past few days have been tough.

"Sometimes I think that she's OK. Sometimes I start thinking that the worst can happen. That's how I've been feeling. I lay my head down at night and wonder where she is. Am I going to see her again? Do I get to see her beautiful smile?" Reynolds said of her daughter Ayla. "She's my little girl."

Police said both of Ayla's parents, who live separately, continued to cooperate with police as the search was in its fourth day.

"Ayla Reynolds is etched in all our minds and reminds every investigator why it's important to stay focused and committed to the task at hand: to bring Ayla back home," Massey said.

Asked if other children in the area were at risk, he said, "No," and did not elaborate.

The Reynolds family was advised after meeting with Waterville police to return to their homes 75 miles to the south in Portland to let police conduct their investigation. Reynolds and her older sister, Jessica, were holed up in a hotel Tuesday to stay away from the media frenzy.

"I'm watching my sister fall to pieces," Jessica Reynolds said. "I don't think she has any tears left to cry."

Trista Reynolds told The Associated Press that she and DiPietro never lived together as a couple and that he showed little interest in his daughter in the 18 months Ayla spent with her mother. But Reynolds said a drinking problem prompted her to enter rehabilitation in Lewiston for 10 days in October; she said that although her mother and older sister cared for Ayla during that time, child welfare agents intervened to place the girl with DiPietro.

Last week, Reynolds filed court papers that she hoped would lead to the return of her daughter. The filing occurred the day before Ayla was last seen in Waterville.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:11 pm

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:15 pm

Details of an unstable home life have emerged in the case of missing Maine toddler Ayla Reynolds, who was vanished from her father's house Friday night.

Reynolds was reported missing Saturday morning by her father, Justin DiPietro, who told police he put the 20-month-old to bed on Friday night and found her missing the next morning. The girl had been placed in his custody just weeks before by the Department of Health and Human Services because her mother, Trista Reynolds, had entered rehab for substance abuse, according to Trista Reynolds' relatives.

The toddler's grandmother, Becka Hanson, told the Morning Sentinel newspaper that she had been watching Ayla while her daughter, Trista, was in rehab, but that Ayla was taken by the DHS and placed with DiPietro. Trista's other child, a 9-month-old, remained in the Reynolds' family custody.

Trista and her 9-month-old son are currently living in a motel in South Portland, according to Hanson. Trista Reynolds had filed to regain custody of her daughter Dec. 15, the day before the disappearance. She told ABC News that DiPietro did not know she had filed the paperwork.

According to Trista's step-sister, the missing girl had recently broken her arm at her father's house and had begun showing bruises on her skin, the Morning Sentinel reported.

Waterville police chief Joseph Massey has said the girl broke her arm during an accidental fall.

Police are continuing their search for the girl for the fourth straight day, after Monday's canvasses of a nearby river and aerial searches turned up nothing. Massey said the police are following every lead that comes in from the public, and have not ruled out abduction.

Waterville police, state police, game wardens and FBI are all involved in the search, with more than 75 law enforcement agents now helping the investigation, Massey said. Twenty-five agents helped conduct the river search, which Massey called a "logical" step because of its proximity to where Ayla was last seen.

Police towed two vehicles in front of DiPietro's house Monday, but would not comment on why. Massey has said that there were several adults at DiPietro's home the night of the disappearance, including one non-relative. DiPietro did not return calls for comment.

A candlelight vigil is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. today, though a vigil held last night in front of DiPietro's home was sparsely attended.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:30 pm

On JVM, it was just stated that two days before Alyla went "missing", the mother got a text from Jason saying, "Oh, I think she will be taken." WTH??? Why is this just coming out now? She was on NG last night and never said that.

I caught the last part of it so I don't know if she saved that text or it's a "he said, she said." Anyone watching???
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:07 pm

Ronald Hanson listed on Maine Sex Offender Registry

December 20, 2011

Parents of Trista Reynolds, Ronald Hanson and Becca Hanson live in Portland, Maine.

Trista is the mother of Ayla Reynolds, the missing 20 month old baby who vanished on Friday. Ayla was last seen wearing polka dot PJs that say "Daddy's Princess."

Certainly, authorities are checking out neighbors and relatives to see if there are any known sex offenders in the area. Presumably they have run the name HANSON on the Maine Sex Offender Registry.

If so, they will find the name Hanson SR, Ronald Alden.

Clicking into that record, one can read the entire profile of that pedophile.

According to Mapquest, Portland, Maine (where Trista's parents live) is a one hour and nine minute drive to Whitefield Maine (where Ronald Alden Hanson is registered).

Inquiring minds want to know if there is any relationship between the 2 Ronald Hansons?

I take this w/a grain of salt until it is confirmed one way or the other. I do know that the maternal grandfather is in pure agony over his granddaughter. That was his little baby doll. Maybe he is a registered sex offender...but that doesn't mean he was sexually molesting Ayla or had anything to do w/her disappearance. I am not in any way condoning sex offenders, just saying...
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Nancy made a comment about Jason taking Ayla to Chuck-Cheese and other kids were hitting her and that is how he explained bruises she had?? She said it so fast, I wanted to say..."Nancy, slow down and back up. Repeat please?" Sarcasm

I have to give her credit..she is on fire w/this case and is asking all the questions I am thinking of. Bottom line, LE and the FBI searched a dumpster behind a Comfort Inn and another dumpster behind some Health and Fitness Bar. Why? They had to have had a good tip. Also, LE is sitting at Jason's home 24/7. But, allegedly, he is not there and "no one knows where he is". Do the cops know? Nancy got no compelling answer. She had LE on and asked Why they don't put a GPS tracking device on every car that was at the home the night she went "missing'. This cop said something about it depends on who is in charge of the case..made no sense and Nancy called him out big time.

Waterville PD have told the mom and maternal grandmother to stay away from Waterville. That makes no sense. Why don't they want them there? They are 80 miles away in Portland. I wouldn't care what they said. I would be where my child was last seen come hell or high water. Not saying she had anything to do w/it, just saying I would not be taking the cops advice on this matter.

I will say that I think they are doing an excellent job. Can you imagine diving into sub degree water? Maine is one cold State in the Winter. I was up there in the 80's and it was 70 below w/the wind chill factor. I thought I was in hell.

Oh, also..it was stated that the FBI is paying a lot of attention to the garage and have brought the dogs in. They say that whatever happened, happened in that house. I agree. And, Jason has a girlfriend. No one is talking. Not the cops, FBI or anyone that was at the house that night. This is NOT good and we all know that even though they have not come out and said it, guaranteed Jason is a suspect.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:32 pm

I agree I agree I agree
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

20 month old Ayla Reynolds Disappears from Father's Home in Maine/Ayla still missing 3 years later. - Page 2 Empty Ayla Reynolds' father speaks

Post by Wrapitup Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:06 am

Posted: 12:00 AM

‘I have shared every piece of information with the police,’ says Justin DiPietro as search for missing girl continues

By Doug Harlow [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Staff Writer

WATERVILLE — The father of missing toddler Ayla Reynolds said Tuesday night he has no idea what happened to his daughter.

Justin DiPietro statement

First, I'd like to thank everyone involved for their continued support in finding our daughter, Ayla.

I have no idea what happened to Ayla, or who is responsible. I will not make accusations or insinuations towards anyone until the police have been able to prove who's responsible for this.

Ayla was in my sole custody at the time of her disappearance per agreement between her mother and I because she was temporarily unable to care for Ayla. I have shared every piece of information possible with the police. Contrary to some statements floating around out there, I have been in communication with Ayla's mother over the last couple of weeks. The mom Admitted she spoke or texted w/Justin on 12/15 and he stated in a text, "I think she will come up missing" (Paraphrasing) - so he is trying to transfer the blame on her. He did NOT say "We have been in communication SINCE AYLA HAS GONE "MISSING". The Waterville police have the transcripts from my phone for verification of those communications.

It has always been my intention to have a shared parenting arrangement with Ayla's mother and I will continue to work towards that when Ayla is returned to us. GMAB! It's been stated by both the mom and grandmother and several others that he wanted nothing to do w/Ayla until June! And this, "when Ayla is returned to us?" Is there a remote possibility he has Ayla hidden somewhere?

My family and friends will continue to do everything we can to assist in this investigation and to get Ayla back home.

We appreciate the media respecting our privacy at this time. If anyone has any information that might be helpful, please contact Waterville police at 207-680-4700.

In a statement released through the Waterville Police Department, Justin DiPietro said, “I will not make accusations or insinuations towards anyone until the police have been able to prove who is responsible for this.” Oh really? Well, I think he is really saying, "Please don't make accusations or insinuation towards ME until the police have been able to prove I am responsible for "this". The "this" bothers me. That is NOT how you describe your own child!!

The 20-month-old disappeared sometime Friday night or Saturday morning from the home she shared with her father at 29 Violette Ave.

“Ayla was in my sole custody at the time of her disappearance per agreement between her mother and I, Wrong again: The mom took Ayla to her sister's I believe and Justin went to CPS and got orders for Ayla to reside with him. There was NO agreement between the mother and him. because she was unable to care for Ayla,” he said in the statement, his first public comment since he reported Ayla missing. “I have shared every piece of information with the police.”

Earlier Tuesday, a section of Messalonskee Stream near the home of missing toddler Ayla Reynolds was drained overnight as investigators on Tuesday continued to look for clues to her disappearance.

Investigators also examined Dumpsters, garages, backyards, ball fields and wooded areas near the Violette Avenue home where the 20-month-old girl was last seen sleeping in her bed Friday night.

Messalonskee Stream, a few blocks from the house, was drained so the Maine Warden Service could walk the banks, Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey told reporters Tuesday afternoon. He said it was also to make visibility better for the warden service's airplane flyover.

As the search entered its fourth day Tuesday, investigators remained closed-lipped on what they might have found. Overnight temperatures have dipped into the low teens and single numbers since the toddler disappeared overnight Friday or Saturday morning.

Massey said his department, the warden service and the FBI are intensifying efforts to find the child. The FBI is conducting a "knock and talk" campaign on nearby streets looking for answers.

"It's still a missing child case," Massey said. "I'm not going to speculate on whether she's alive or when she might come home. We need to follow the logical conclusion of a logical sequence of events. We've ruled nothing out, so I don't want to stand here and speculate."

Massey said Ayla's parents, 24-year-old Justin DiPietro and her mother, Trista Reynolds, 23, have been interviewed and are cooperating. He would not discuss who else was in the house Friday night, whether foul play is suspected or if there was blood or any other forensic evidence found in the house or garage.

He would not say if police have any suspects in the girl's disappearance, nor would he discuss alibis given to police by those who have been interviewed.

Massey would not say why police seized two vehicles on Monday -- one of them registered to DiPietro -- or what authorities might be looking for in those vehicles.

Firefighters and game wardens conducted a grid search on foot Tuesday surrounding the 29 Violette Ave. home, from Cool Street to First Rangeway. A Kennebec County Emergency Management van was stationed at the nearby Fran Purnell baseball field on Mathews Avenue.

A Maine State Police evidence response team truck returned to the house Tuesday at about 1:30 p.m. State and local police were stationed outside the modest vinyl-sided home.

A state police special crime incident command and communications truck was in full operation in the Waterville City Hall parking lot.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland described the operations center, which has taken over the City Council chambers, as impressive.

"That's where everything is being assigned; phones are ringing, assignments are being handed out -- the wardens are there, the FBI, state police, Waterville police, all working together," McCausland said before Tuesday afternoon's press conference. "It's a central focal point of where the investigation is today."

Another Waterville police car idled near Champions Fitness Club in Elm Plaza, where game wardens Tuesday morning had searched a Dumpster.

Ayla was reported missing by her father just before 9 a.m. Saturday, about 10 to 12 hours after he said she was put to bed.

She was last seen wearing green one-piece pajamas with polka dots and the words "Daddy's Princess" on them. She is 2 feet, 9 inches tall and weighs about 30 pounds.

Her left arm is in a soft splint. She has short thin blond hair.

Ayla's mother told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Monday that she had filed paperwork seeking sole custody of the toddler Thursday, the day before the toddler was last seen. Trista Reynolds filed a complaint against DiPietro for determination of paternity, parental rights and responsibilities and child support, according to documents obtained Monday from Cumberland County Superior Court in Portland.

DiPietro could not be contacted for comment Tuesday and police were not allowing anyone near the Violette Avenue home.

Other family members, including Ayla's grandmother Becka Hanson, said Monday that Trista had gone into rehab for substance abuse and the state Department of Health and Human Services had turned the child over to DiPietro in October.

Hanson said Ayla was with her father when she broke her arm. Police have said the child's arm was broken in an accidental fall about three weeks ago, but have declined to provide further details.

Massey said 75 law enforcement officers have been engaged in the search each day since Saturday. He said police have received more than 100 tips from the public to help find the missing toddler in what he termed a "major investigation."

"We are very much committed to this investigation and will follow it to its conclusion," Massey said.

Massey said he was asked how he could stay optimistic when his department is involved in a missing child case.

"When I walk into the briefing room at 8 every morning and I look out at 75 officers, I see nothing but commitment, determination, energy and an attitude of, 'Let's get it done,'" Massey said. "That's optimism, that's inspiration and that's law enforcement at its best."

Last edited by Wrapitup on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:52 am

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:57 am

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:44 am

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 am

OK, so I was on FB and NG was asking peeps to call in on the Kahn case if they had questions. I got through and the producer asked me if I had any questions or statements re: Ayla Reynolds. I said that I do but had called re: The Kahn case. She said that part is over with but do I want to comment on Ayla's case. I told her, that Yes, I do. She asked me what I wanted to say and I told her I have some issues w/the statement that Justin released. She got my name, my State and phone number and said Nancy is taping the show right now and to just listen until she gets to me. I could hear everything that was being said, but she never got to me. Then, I stayed on the line and the producer came back and asked me if I wanted to make a comment for Thursdays show re: a country singer whose husband came back from Iraq and allegedly tried to smother her w/a pillow. I told her I am a retired PI and have a website (did not tell her the website) and that I am not up on that case enough to comment but asked if she could possibly pass this on to Nancy:
In a statement released through the Waterville Police Department, Justin DiPietro said, “I will not make accusations or insinuations towards anyone until the police have been able to prove who is responsible for this.” Oh really? Well, I think he is really saying, "Please don't make accusations or insinuation towards ME until the police have been able to prove I am responsible for "this". The "this" bothers me. That is NOT how you describe your own child!!
She said that Yes, that is an excellent take and there is a possibility that either she or Nancy w/be calling me back. fingertap faint
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Search Intensifies for Missing Maine Girl Ayla Reynolds
Published December 21, 2011
Associated Press

As the FBI stepped up its efforts to find a 20-month-old girl who disappeared from her father's home over the weekend, investigators combed through trash bins, drained a stream and pored over more than 100 leads offered by the public.

Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey refused to speculate Tuesday on whether Ayla Reynolds was alive, saying authorities are focused on finding her. The investigation remains a missing-person case, he said.

Meanwhile, in his first public statement, the girl's father, Justin DiPietro, said he doesn't know what happened to her.

"I have no idea what happened to Ayla, or who is responsible," he said. "I will not make accusations or insinuations towards anyone until the police have been able to prove who's responsible for this."

The Portland Press Herald reported that DiPietro released the statement through the Waterville Police Department, saying his family and friends will do "everything we can to assist in this investigation and get Ayla back home."

Massey said the FBI launched a door-to-door canvass of neighbors to glean any information that may lead them to the little girl.

"We've ruled out nothing," said Massey, whose central Maine agency has combined efforts with firefighters, state police, game wardens and the FBI.

Ayla was last seen when DiPietro, put her to bed Friday night. He called police to report her missing the following morning, saying he found her bed empty.

"I have shared every piece of information possible with the police," DiPietro said in his statement.

On Tuesday, a state police evidence vehicle remained outside the home that DiPietro shared with his mother in Waterville.

State police stationed outside the house told reporters that the DiPietros were not there. Their whereabouts were unknown to the public, and The Associated Press could not find phone numbers for them.

While the neighborhood was canvassed, police were checking out trash bins across the city. A stretch of Messalonskee Stream a few blocks from DiPietro home was drained nearly dry so wardens could get a better look, both from the ground and from an airplane overhead, officials said.

Massey said each of the 100 leads that have been given to police was being followed.

Ayla's mother said she's trying to remain optimistic that her daughter is OK. Trista Reynolds said she's trying to keep it together for an 8-month-old son who remains in her care but acknowledges the past few days have been tough.

"Sometimes I think that she's OK. Sometimes I start thinking that the worst can happen. That's how I've been feeling. I lay my head down at night and wonder where she is. Am I going to see her again? Do I get to see her beautiful smile?" Reynolds said of her daughter Ayla. "She's my little girl."

Police said both of Ayla's parents, who live separately, continued to cooperate with police.

"Ayla Reynolds is etched in all our minds and reminds every investigator why it's important to stay focused and committed to the task at hand: to bring Ayla back home," Massey said.

The Reynolds family was advised after meeting with Waterville police to return to their homes 75 miles to the south in Portland to let police conduct their investigation. Reynolds and her older sister, Jessica, were staying in a hotel Tuesday to keep away from the media frenzy.

"I'm watching my sister fall to pieces," Jessica Reynolds said. "I don't think she has any tears left to cry."

Trista Reynolds told The Associated Press that she and DiPietro never lived together as a couple. But Reynolds said a drinking problem prompted her to enter rehabilitation in Lewiston for 10 days in October; she said that although her mother and older sister cared for Ayla during that time, child welfare agents intervened to place the girl with DiPietro.

Last week, Reynolds filed court papers that she hoped would lead to the return of her daughter. The filing occurred the day before Ayla was last seen in Waterville.
DiPietro said Tuesday that although he has sole custody of his daughter, "It has always been my intention to have a shared parenting arrangement with Ayla's mother and I will continue to work towards that when Ayla is returned to us."

video
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:52 pm

All-out effort under way to find Ayla Reynolds

By Erin Smith and John Zaremba
Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - Updated 3 hours ago

WATERVILLE, MAINE — Police searched homes, woods and rivers yesterday as they investigated more than 100 tips in the disappearance of toddler Ayla Reynolds.

The girl’s father, Justin DiPietro, reported 20-month-old Ayla missing Saturday morning after finding her bed empty at her grandmother’s Violette Avenue home.

“I didn’t even know he had a daughter. I never saw her,” said neighbor Ellen Paul, who said police searched her home yesterday morning.

Paul said DiPietro moved back from Portland about a month ago and was staying at his mother’s home.

Police have gone door-to-door in the neighborhood, speaking with residents and searching inside buildings for any trace of the little girl.

“We didn’t see anything out of the ordinary,” neighbor Philip Robinson said. “We want to help so much and yet we feel so helpless.”

The toddler’s disappearance rattled Heather Mirucki, a mom of a 2-year-old and a 3-year-old who lives just a few streets away.

“My kids have been sleeping in the bed with me ever since I heard about this. It’s scary,” said Mirucki, who lit candles at a makeshift shrine of teddy bears outside the home where Ayla was last seen.

State police investigators could be seen going in and out of the home last night. More than 100 tips have come in and 75 investigators from local police, Maine State Police, FBI and other agencies are combing the area for clues.

“It’s pretty much a major investigation to have that many officers on that many days working the case,” Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey said.

The FBI is leading the door-to-door investigation, while fish and game wardens are coordinating the woodlands and waterways search; a river was lowered so investigators could see the bottom more clearly.

Massey said Ayla’s disappearance is still classified as a missing-person case and police are following up a neighbor’s report of a strange car at the home in the middle of the night. The girl’s family has been cooperative, he said.

Tara True, who lives in nearby Winslow, stopped by the makeshift shrine last night to light a candle and pray for Ayla’s safe return.

“I hope she’s home for Christmas,” True said. “I just have a bad feeling about it. Somebody knows something and they’re not saying anything.”

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Wrap, if you get on the air with NG you might ask her about the SO below and if he's related to Trista Reynolds Dad.

Wrapitup wrote:Ronald Hanson listed on Maine Sex Offender Registry

December 20, 2011

Parents of Trista Reynolds, Ronald Hanson and Becca Hanson live in Portland, Maine.

Trista is the mother of Ayla Reynolds, the missing 20 month old baby who vanished on Friday. Ayla was last seen wearing polka dot PJs that say "Daddy's Princess."

Certainly, authorities are checking out neighbors and relatives to see if there are any known sex offenders in the area. Presumably they have run the name HANSON on the Maine Sex Offender Registry.

If so, they will find the name Hanson SR, Ronald Alden.

Clicking into that record, one can read the entire profile of that pedophile.

According to Mapquest, Portland, Maine (where Trista's parents live) is a one hour and nine minute drive to Whitefield Maine (where Ronald Alden Hanson is registered).

Inquiring minds want to know if there is any relationship between the 2 Ronald Hansons?

I take this w/a grain of salt until it is confirmed one way or the other. I do know that the maternal grandfather is in pure agony over his granddaughter. That was his little baby doll. Maybe he is a registered sex offender...but that doesn't mean he was sexually molesting Ayla or had anything to do w/her disappearance. I am not in any way condoning sex offenders, just saying...
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:38 pm

Great question but I doubt I will get on. It was cool listening to Nancy live and I could hear the producer saying to other producers, "Edit compliments". LOLZ!!!!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:08 pm

News conference at 2 pm EST - there's crime tape around home of the Father.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Could it be her Tristas father is a sex offender? Thats incredible.
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Homicide Prosecutors Called to Home of Missing Maine Girl

WATERVILLE, Maine – Two of the state's top homicide prosecutors have been called to the Maine home of a missing 20-month-old girl, but authorities continue to treat the disappearance as a missing child case.
As the search for Ayla Reynolds entered its sixth day, Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey told reporters during an afternoon press conference that the investigation is focused closely on the girl's Violette Avenue home. Crime-scene tape surrounding the home and the presence of two homicide prosecutors are merely investigative tools, he said.
Police are also using cadaver dogs in an area near the city's airport in the search, Massey said.

Ayla was reported missing Saturday by her father, Justin DiPietro, who told police he last saw her when he put her to bed Friday night.
On Wednesday, 50 trained volunteers from the Maine Search and Rescue Association joined 75 to 80 law enforcement officers already participating in the search for the girl, which entered its sixth day Thursday.
"I can tell you, they are working just as hard as if it was their own child," Waterville City Manager Mike Roy told the group at the vigil at the First Congregational Church, where a photo of a smiling Ayla, a few children's drawings and stuffed toys contributed by local families formed a centerpiece at the front of the pews.
Residents prayed, sang hymns and offered one another support and hope during the service, which was moved indoors because of freezing rain and low temperatures.
"I want to support the family," Cori Cote said as she held her 16-month-old daughter before the vigil. "I couldn't imagine losing my little girl. I want Ayla back safe."

raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:14 pm

Homicide prosecutors? What is their job exactly? Ive heard of homicide investigators but do they mean they are having the district attorney come to view the house?
That isnt clear to me = anyone have any ideas?
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:55 pm

The Office of the Attorney General has exclusive responsibility for the prosecution of homicide cases statewide. The Homicide Unit is part of the Criminal Division of the Office of the Attorney General.

thinking Things are moving along quickly in this case compared to the other missing children cases.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Crime Scene Tape Placed Around Home Of Ayla Reynolds

WATERVILLE, Maine -- Crime scene tape was placed around the home where 20-month-old Ayla Reynolds was reported missing.
The tape was put up shortly after 12 p.m. on Thursday.
Bill Stokes, chief of the criminal division at the Maine attorney general's office, is at the scene.
Detectives could be seen walking around the property with white protective booties covering their feet.
It has been six days since the toddler was reported missing from her father's home on Violette Avenue.
Stay with News 8 and WMTW.com for the latest on this breaking development.

raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:03 pm

An investigation into the life of missing Portland, Maine 2 year old, Ayla Reynolds, reveals a turbulent life for the toddler. Accusations of the father’s allegedly abusive behavior and her mother’s drug issues have put the case in the media cross-hairs of family variably.

The missing tot’s father, Justin DiPietro, reported his toddler daughter missing a little over a week ago when he woke up and found that she had disappeared from her room. DiPietro claims he last saw Ayla on the evening of December 16th, after putting her to bed around 8 pm, but didn’t call police until almost 9 am the following morning when he says he went to check on her and found her gone.

Ayla’s mother, Trista Reynolds, had custody of the baby temporarily revoked while she was recovering from a reported alcohol and substance abuse addiction and was staying in a rehab center. Members of Reynold’s family voiced concern last week, claiming that the toddler suffered a broken arm while in DiPietro’s care. Police are sticking to the original report of the injury which claims Ayla broke her arm in a fall, but the family remains suspicious. They want to know why the Department of Health and Human Services placed the youngster with her father without further pursuing a full investigation of the incident.

Incidentally, Reynolds whose other child, a 9-month old baby, has been cared for by the Reynold’s family while she was in rehab.

Meanwhile, as Ayla’s mother continues to make the media rounds, she appears to be placing blame on the baby’s father, telling MSNBC that DiPietro failed to keep Ayla safe. Coincidentally, Reynolds also makes mention that she filed for sole custody of Ayla the day before the toddler went missing.

Maine Police are saying that they aren’t ruling out anything at this point. This may suggest that both parents, given their checkered pasts, may eventually be potential persons of interests if you parse out their potential motives. If drugs, violence or a bitter custody battle enter into the equation, it’s conceivable that such things could have played a role but at this point of the investigation, police aren’t willing to name either parent is a suspect.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Maine police chief: Someone took Ayla Reynolds

By Associated Press
Monday, December 26, 2011

WATERVILLE, Maine — A police chief leading a search for a missing 20-month-old girl says investigators believe someone took her from her father’s home in Maine.

The comment by Waterville police Chief Joseph Massey marks the first time he has said directly he doesn’t believe Ayla Reynolds left her home by herself.

Ayla had been living with her father, who reported her missing Dec. 17. He told police he last saw her when he put her to bed the previous night at his home in Waterville. The home has been sealed with crime scene tape.

Massey spoke Monday when he announced a $30,000 reward is being offered for information leading to Ayla’s whereabouts.

Maine Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland says it’s the largest reward ever offered in a Maine missing-person case.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:46 pm

WATERVILLE, Maine—Investigators looking for a 20-month-old girl reported missing a week before Christmas believe someone took her from her father's home, the police chief leading the investigation said Monday.

The comment by Waterville police Chief Joseph Massey marked the first time since the search for Ayla Reynolds began that police have directly said they don't believe she left the home by herself.

"We certainly feel someone took Ayla out of that house," Massey said at a news conference at which he announced a $30,000 reward was being offered for help finding her.

The reward, assembled with donations from people and businesses in the Waterville area, is the biggest ever offered in the state for a missing person, state Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said.

Massey and McCausland were joined at their news conference by Waterville attorney John Nale, who appealed for the safe return of Ayla.

"I ask and I plead with the person or persons who have Ayla Reynolds that they please keep her safe and return her safely to us," Nale said.

Hundreds of police officers, game wardens and local residents have searched for Ayla since she was reported missing by her father, Justin DiPietro, on the morning of Dec. 17.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Maine toddler's disappearance now treated as kidnapping

(NECN: Alysha Palumbo) - Ten days into the search for missing 20-month-old Ayla Reynolds of Waterville, Maine and the focus of the investigation has narrowed - to kidnapping.

Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey said, "At this point in the investigation, let me say that we are confident that Ayla did not walk out of the house by herself."

But Chief Massey would not elaborate on why police no longer believe it was possible for the toddler to have left her father's home on her own.

"I don't want to speculate too much on that but again, we certainly feel that someone took Ayla out of that house and the circumstances surrounding that we are not sure of," said Chief Massey.

Police are hoping a $30,000 reward, put up by a group of concerned individuals and business owners in the Waterville area, will bring in new tips to help them crack the case.

The reward, organized by local attorney John Nale, is believed to be the largest reward for a missing persons case in Maine's history.

Nale said, "On behalf of the greater Waterville area community, I ask and I plead that the person or persons who have young Ayla Reynolds, that they please keep her safe and return her safely to us."

Police are also hopeful a segment featuring Ayla on America's Most Wanted Friday night may turn up new leads for detectives to follow up on, to try to break open this case that has troubled investigators.

Chief Massey said, "Unfortunately we have not been able to get Ayla home for Christmas. I can tell you that that weighs heavily on all of us."

Police would not say if they have a specific suspect in mind.

The police chief also would not say if they believe Ayla was abducted by a stranger, family friend, or a member of her family.

But he did say investigators have talked to many family members who live in both Waterville and outside the area.
He said searches will continue as necessary.

Anyone with information on Ayla Reynolds' whereabouts is asked to call Waterville, ME police at 207-680-4700.

raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Now this is strange-why in the world are they treating this a kidnapping -who would kidnap this child and why? It could be the father gave the child to someone specifically because he wanted to hurt the mother, I can believe that - or else he killed the child I can believe that - but a kidnapping? That I cant believe.
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:49 pm

I'm thinking that the Father did give the child to someone and LE are calling it a kidnapping. I don't know if I believe it but I sure want to .
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:59 pm

If the father gave the child to someone its the same thing as selling a child - so I would imagine the same penalty - but why would he do it? The mother made claims of abuse, the child had a broken arm - seems to me the first thing would be death from abuse. I cant think of a reason to give the child away -the mother was filing for sole custody - he never wanted the child - why not just let the mother have her?
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:09 pm

To get back at her for filing for sole custody. Spite. I know the Mom said he didn't know she filed but who knows if he had a feeling she was going to do it and maybe he thought ' I'll show her'. I sure hope it's this.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Well if its one thing we have learned, its that people do things for no explanable reason at all. But future child support payments might enter into it, whether he had joint custody or no custody at all.
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:17 pm

When drugs are involved anything is possible. If I am not confusing cases this Mother was in treatment for drugs? Artgal you may be correct and child support for 16 more years might have been a motive.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Casey killed Caylee to spite her mother when she could have easily allowed the Anthony's to legally adopt her. I am buying the kidnapping theory..or as Raine said, I sure want to.

LE and the FBI have done a very thorough search and have come up with nothing. I HOPE she is alive and he has her hidden somewhere.

The truth w/come out eventually..someone will spot her and he and his accomplice(s) w/be arrested. I am thinking this was planned the night of 12/16 when he had family and friends at his house. I want to know if all these people have submitted to a poly and if so, did they pass.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:57 am

Grandfather: Missing Maine girl's dad not communicating with family

(CNN) -- The grandfather of a missing 20-month-old Maine girl repeated over and over Wednesday night that the girl's father has not been in touch with the family, even as the father reiterated he doesn't know what happened to her.
"Nothing, not a word, nothing," Ron Reynolds told HLN's Nancy Grace. "My daughter tried to talk to him. Nothing's coming back ... nothing is being said."
Police said Wednesday they have received 370 leads in the disappearance of Ayla Reynolds, who was last seen December 16 when her father, Justin Dipietro, said he put her to bed.
Earlier Wednesday, Dipietro said he doesn't know what happened to her.
"It is important the public hear it from me personally that I have no idea what happened to Ayla and that I am not hiding," Dipietro said in a statement.
$30K reward in missing toddler case Klaas: Tot's disappearance not typical
The toddler's mother, Trista Reynolds, told NBC's "Today" this week that the girl's disappearance rests squarely on his shoulders.
"I trusted him to keep her safe and now she is missing," she said. "I don't know where she is and I blame him right now, because he did not protect her the way that he was supposed to."
Authorities in Waterville on Monday offered a $30,000 reward for information that would lead investigators to find the girl. Police are confident that someone took Ayla from the house, Police Chief Joseph Massey said.
Ayla is described as having blond hair, being about 2 feet, 9 inches tall, and weighing 30 pounds. She was last seen wearing green pajamas with white polka dots and the words "Daddy's Princess" across the front. When she disappeared, the girl had her arm in a soft cast.
Dipietro, 24, said he would never do anything to hurt Ayla, who was in his sole custody when she disappeared.
"The questions of Ayla's arm or bruises or anything else being said are simply ludicrous," Dipietro said in his statement. "I would never want anyone to spend even a minute in my shoes. No one should ever have to experience this."
Police searched Dipietro's home with his permission.
The day before the girl went missing, her 23-year-old mother filed a complaint seeking sole custody.
She told HLN she didn't tell Dipietro she was going to court because he was "vindictive" and "verbally abusive."
"Now, me and him had had the discussion within that week that he told me himself that he was going to file the custody papers against me," Reynolds said. "So I decided to go and file against him."
The mother told Grace that she had raised Ayla for 18 months and Dipietro became involved only after "I needed to go and get a little bit of help for myself." She told HLN she underwent rehab.
Police do not have anyone connected to the case in custody.
In his statement Wednesday, Dipietro thanked those who are aiding the effort to find his daughter.
"I have to believe that Ayla is with somebody and I just want that person to find the courage to do the right thing and find a way to return her safely," the father said. "The truth is the truth and when the case is solved it will be out there. Until then, please try to remain positive and hopeful as I remain confident that Ayla will return safely."
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:59 am

20 month old Ayla Reynolds Disappears from Father's Home in Maine/Ayla still missing 3 years later. - Page 2 111219110304-ayla-reynolds-story-top
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:29 am

Visit msnbc.com for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Ayla Reynolds' Dad Might Be Key to Finding Missing Baby

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM

It's been almost two weeks since little Ayla Reynolds went missing from her father's home in Waterville, Maine in the middle of the night. The fact that even with a $30,000 reward for information that leads to the kidnapped baby, police have come up empty leaves parents across the country to shake their heads and grab their own kids in fierce hugs. But a move just this morning by the 20-month-old girl's mom, Trista Reynolds, could make a real difference in how you're looking at this case.

Like most missing child cases -- whether it's the recent (and still unsolved) disappearance of Lisa Irwin or the infamous vanishing of Jon Benet Ramsey -- the story of baby Ayla has drawn increased scrutiny on the lives of her parents. And the fact that Justin DiPietro and Trista still weren't speaking to one another days after their daughter went missing the night of December 16 in her polka dot pajamas was hard to shake.

So an appearance by Trista Reynolds on the Today Show this morning to publicly beg her ex to "just talk to me" can only be a good thing, right? At least it means that one half of Ayla Reynolds' family unit has decided to put aside past hurts and make the missing child a priority.

Trista says she's tried to reach out to DiPietro on a personal level several times, but he's spurned her requests for contact even while he's come out to talk to the media himself. It's not hard to believe her when he isn't refuting it, even though he is talking to the media. Just yesterday, Ayla's dad told media he thinks that someone took his daughter from the crib in his home, and he begged that person to return her safely. In a statement issued via Waterville Police, DiPietro said he would never hurt his daughter and is cooperating fully with police.

And yet, it's hard not to feel like that's not enough.

Justin DiPietro is, by all accounts, the last person to have seen little Ayla. He put her to bed on the night of December 16 and claims she wasn't in the crib the next morning, which is when police were alerted. Police say Trista is not a suspect in the disappearance of her daughter, she seems to really have the child's best interests at heart. And I know if my child were missing, I know I would want to talk to the person who saw her last. I would want every minute detail of her last moments.

Having them relayed by police wouldn't be enough. I would want to hear them from the horse's mouth, because as a mother, that would be the closest I could come to my child. That seems only fair.

Besides, corny as it may be, I put a lot of weight in a mother's intuition. If Trista can force Justin to face her with this public push, maybe she can get out of him details of the night that will help solve this case -- whether they're details he's hiding or details he doesn't even realize are that important.

Either way, giving the mother of a missing child more information to help her in the search for her child can only be a good thing, right? Can you believe it's been two weeks, and Ayla's parents still haven't spoken?

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 am

Posted: 12:00 AM
Updated: 10:17 PM
Police narrow search for Ayla Reynolds
Two vehicles — one belonging to girl’s father — returned to owners
By Doug Harlow [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Staff Writer

WATERVILLE -- The sprawling police command center at City Hall still hummed on Thursday as the search for missing toddler Ayla Reynolds entered its 13th day, but it was a quieter hum than last week.

At 29 Violette Ave., where the 20-month-old was last seen sleeping the night of Friday, Dec. 16, passersby slowed to glance at a growing shrine of stuffed animals and crime scene tape. But the police cars -- stationed outside as recently as Wednesday -- were now gone.

Police on Thursday confirmed that two vehicles seized from the driveway by police Dec. 19 have been returned to their owners. One is a Ford Explorer registered to 24-year-old Justin DiPietro, Ayla's father, and the other a Hyundai registered to a Portland woman whose name is not being made public.

Police declined to say what they were looking for in the vehicles.

A $30,000 reward offered on Monday for information leading authorities to the missing toddler remains unclaimed, police said. There have been no arrests and Ayla, who was last seen in polka dot pajamas and her left arm in a cast, has not been found.

Even as the search effort has been scaled back, Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey on Thursday repeated his frequent refrain that the incident is still a missing person case.

"There have been some searches this week, but they have dropped off in numbers and size and the number of folks searching," Massey said. "We have gotten to the point where any other searches will be based on information."

The Maine Warden Service, which had coordinated an estimated 100 public safety and volunteer search teams in woods and streams since Dec. 17, has returned to its regular duties and will be called upon only if needed. Waterville detectives and Maine State Police investigators were still busy Thursday following up on hundreds of tips on the girl's disappearance, but the primary search operation had ground to a halt.

Massey said there has been no lack of people volunteering to help in the search. He said some volunteers had to be turned away because each searcher had to be coordinated by the Warden Service to make sure all search areas were recorded and there was no duplication of effort or evidence contamination.

Police said DiPietro reported his daughter missing just before 9 a.m. Dec. 17, some 10 to 12 hours after she was put to bed. They said the toddler did not wander off on her own and she was taken from the home by someone, though police have stopped short of calling it a kidnapping.

Massey said from the first day of the search efforts on Saturday, Dec. 17, there were 15 Waterville police officers at the scene, 15 to 20 firefighters conducting a search, three state troopers, three game wardens and two tracking dogs. Media were not allowed to get close to the house.

By Monday, Dec. 19, there were 75 law enforcement officers on the ground, on the water and in the air looking for the toddler.

A dozen FBI agents from several locations arrived in Waterville to assist in the investigation, including door-to-door visits in the neighborhood. Authorities are not making court affidavits filed in the case public, including those for permission to search the house, garage and the two vehicles seized by police.

At its peak, the search area measured five miles in width -- north to south from the epicenter on Violette Avenue -- and 2 1/2 miles in depth, from Messalonskee Stream west past First Rangeway.

Frustration mounts

DiPietro said in a statement Wednesday that he played no role in his daughter's disappearance and he begged whoever took Ayla to return her home.

Ayla's mother, 23-year-old Trista Reynolds, of Portland, appeared on NBC's "Today" show Thursday morning and said she has questions only DiPietro can answer because he was the last person to see her. Reynolds said she's tried to call DiPietro, but he hasn't called back.

Ayla had been turned over to DiPietro's care in October by the state Department of Health and Human Services. Reynolds' family members have said Trista was previously in rehabilitation for substance abuse.

Reynolds filed for sole custody on Dec. 15, a day before her daughter was last seen in Waterville.

Massey said both parents have been interviewed by police and have been cooperative. Details of the investigation have not been released by police.

Reynolds did not return a phone message for comment on Thursday. DiPietro has told police he will only comment through written statements so he doesn't hinder the investigation.

Massey and Deputy Police Chief Charles Rumsey said the prolonged search and national media attention to the case have been stressful.

"We try to stay very optimistic and focused and I think if you let frustration in, it's a distraction," Massey said Thursday. "Walking into that briefing room in the morning and seeing that many law enforcement officers with a great attitude and a commitment to find Ayla, that's optimism, that's inspiration.

"I don't see any long faces."

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:31 am

Ayla Reynold’s dad insists ‘I am not hiding’

By Matt Stout
Thursday, December 29, 2011 - Updated 16 hours ago

The father of a missing Maine tot insisted again yesterday that he knows nothing about her disappearance and any insinuation that he ever harmed the girl is “simply ludicrous.”

“I am not hiding,” Justin DiPietro, father of Ayla Reynolds, said in his second public statement issued through the Waterville Police Department. “I would never do anything to hurt my child. The questions of Ayla’s arm or bruises or anything else being said are simply ludicrous. I would never want anyone to spend even a minute in my shoes.”

Nearly two weeks have passed since the 20-month-old, whose arm was in a soft cast, was reported missing from DiPietro’s mother’s home in Waterville, about 75 miles north of Portland.

Investigators from local, state and federal agencies scoured waterways, woods and residential and business districts, fielding nearly 400 tips from the public.

Waterville police said yesterday the state warden service has concluded the last of its “large-scale operations.”

Investigators believe Ayla was abducted, but they continue to call the disappearance a missing-child case. DiPietro urged people to hold out hope that Ayla is all right.

“I have to believe that Ayla is with somebody,” he said, “and I just want that person to find the courage to do the right thing and find a way to return her safely. Even if that means, dropping her off at a church, or hospital, or some safe place

"simply ludicrous"....he used that term Twice. I don't believe a word he says. Has he taken a poly????
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

20 month old Ayla Reynolds Disappears from Father's Home in Maine/Ayla still missing 3 years later. - Page 2 Empty Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey Announced Friday Night They Believe Foul Play Was Involved

Post by NiteSpinR Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:32 pm

No DAH... Talk about stating the obvious! A little girl goes missing from her bed during the night and cannot be found. We were thinking it was Foul Play all along!

12-30-2011

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) – Police investigating the disappearance of a toddler from her father's central Maine home two weeks ago said Friday they believe foul play was involved, but investigators tried to remain optimistic even as the job of law enforcement officials becomes more difficult with each passing day.

Waterville police Chief Joseph Massey announced Friday night that the case "has evolved from the search for a missing child to a criminal investigation."

In a statement, the chief said the conclusion about the disappearance of 20-month-old Ayla Reynolds was based on evidence that has been gathered over the past two weeks, but he didn't elaborate. He said state police would take the lead on the investigation.

On Friday, a team of evidence technicians from Massachusetts joined Maine State Police at the Waterville home where Ayla was last seen and was reported missing by her father.

"All of our efforts continue to locate Ayla. Although this is beginning the third week, we remain hopeful," Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said. He declined to say what the technicians were looking for.

Ayla's father, Justin DiPietro, told police he last saw her when he put her to bed the night of Dec. 16. He reported her missing when she was nowhere to be found the following morning.

Before she vanished, Ayla was wearing green polka dot pajamas with the words "Daddy's Princess" on them and had a soft cast on her broken left arm. Extensive searches of woods, waterways, fields and private properties around Waterville, a city of 16,000 residents 20 miles north of the state capital, Augusta, have failed to turn up anything.

The day after Christmas, investigators announced a $30,000 reward, the largest ever for a missing person case in Maine, for information leading to Ayla's whereabouts.

McCausland on Friday declined to discuss whether any of the 300-plus leads had borne fruit for investigators. He also declined to talk about suspects or evidence that has been gathered. He said DiPietro and Ayla's mother, Trista Reynolds, of Portland, were cooperating with investigators.

There were news reports Friday that two cars seized from the Waterville home were returned to DiPietro and an unidentified woman. McCausland declined to confirm those reports.

Investigators put up crime scene tape at the father's home last week. Outside the home, about 75 miles from Portland, a pile of teddy bears and stuffed animals were piled at a makeshift shrine.

Ayla was placed in her father's care while her mother was in a substance abuse rehabilitation program, which she completed.

Trista Reynolds, making an appeal on national television on Thursday, said that she had questions for DiPietro but that he had not returned her calls since their daughter went missing. She previously raised concerns about Ayla's treatment while in her father's care after the girl broke her arm, which police said happened in an accidental fall. She had no further comment Friday night, her sister said.

DiPietro couldn't be reached for comment Friday night. The Associated Press has been unable to find a telephone listing for him, and he has not been at his home, which is empty.

A few days before Christmas, DiPietro, addressing the public for the first time, said in a statement he had "no idea what happened to Ayla or who is responsible." He said his family and friends would do "everything we can to assist in this investigation and get Ayla back home."

"I would never do anything to hurt my child," he said Wednesday in another statement.

Former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt said Friday that the odds of finding a child lessen if he or she isn't found within the first day or two of disappearing. But he said there's always reason for optimism, noting that there are even rare cases of missing children who turn up years later in someone's care.

"If you don't get this child back real quickly, you know that it gets harder and harder," he said. "But you can't give up hope."

Scott Bernstein, founder of Child Recovery International, a New York City-based organization that helps find missing children, agreed the first hours of an investigation are key in tracking down missing children as young as Ayla. Although the situation looks bleak, there's still room for hope, he said.

"One percent hope — but I'll go for that 1 percent hope," he said.

After Ayla went missing, law enforcement officials likely divided their investigation into two parts, one team looking at people with access to her, such as relatives and family friends, and another group looking at the potential for an abduction by an outsider or stranger, Van Zandt said. Under both scenarios, he said, the odds are that the person who took Ayla knew something about her or her family.

Strangers' abductions of children do occur, but they're rare, accounting for only 105 to 115 children out of 750,000 to 900,000 missing-persons cases each year in the United States, Van Zandt said.

Van Zandt, who has worked similar cases, said Ayla's disappearance, which once had more than 80 searchers and law enforcement officers involved, has been difficult for law enforcers as well as for distraught family members.

"As an FBI agent working these cases, you never turn off the emotional porch light," he said. "You always leave on the light with the hope that the child will come home again."

NiteSpinR
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next