5 students shot at Chardon High School; three have died. Suspect, TJ Lane, in custody. Lane did NOT Attend Chardon High School!! Found Guilty of 3 Life Sentences!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal 5 students shot at Chardon High School; three have died. Suspect, TJ Lane, in custody. Lane did NOT Attend Chardon High School!! Found Guilty of 3 Life Sentences!!

Post by Praying For Faith on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:52 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

5 students hurt in shooting at Chardon High School; suspect in custody

Published: Monday, February 27, 2012, 8:18 AM Updated: Monday, February 27, 2012, 11:10 AM

By John Horton, The Plain Dealer

Thomas Ondrey, The Plain DealerStudents evacuating Chardon High School wait to enter the Maple Elementary School nearby, where they are waiting to be released to their parents. Police were searching backpacks and other belongings because of a report that a second student might have been involved with the as-yet-unidentified shooter.

CHARDON, Ohio -- Five students have been injured in a shooting this morning at Chardon High School.

According to the Geauga County Sheriff's Office and the FBI, a suspect has been arrested. Scott Wilson of the FBI said they believe there was only one shooter, but the incident remains under investigation.

Initial reports were that four students were shot. But at a news conference about 10:30 a.m., officials said there was a fifth victim.

The youth who was arrested had fled the high school building, but was caught on Woodin Road in Chardon Township, a law officer said. The boy is being processed at the sheriff's office, according to reports about 9 a.m.

Both the sheriff's office and Wilson declined to provide further detail of the events that unfolded in the high school cafeteria about 7:45 a.m.

A local official said four boys and a girl were injured. Four ambulances -- from Chardon, Kirtland, Burton and Chesterland -- arrived at the school just after 8. Sources said three of the students were flown to the trauma center at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland and the other two were taken to Hillcrest Hospital.

View Chardon high school shooting
in a larger map

The school was immediately put on lockdown but parents are lined up near the campus now to pick up their children. Parents crowded outside the school said they started receiving text messages from children before 8.

Several students came out of the school in tears. Others came out in gym shorts, an indication of how suddenly the school day changed and the urgency with which the students were removed from the building.

"I'm just glad you're OK," one parent said to a student as they embraced.

The shooting happened in the cafeteria, according to a waiting parent, Jessica Bryant, whose freshman daughter, Allison, had seen it and texted her.

Parents were being told at 8:21 that it might not be safe to remain near the school. Maple Elementary school across the street was being evacuated.

Police were blocking streets near the school as they went through the building in search of the shooter. A teacher saw the shooting and chased the gun-wielder, who escaped, according to reports.

At 8:30, students were being evacuated from the school and are going to Maple Elementary. Many, scared, could be seen holding hands and crying.
0227120824.jpgView full sizeJohn Horton, The Plain DealerWorried parents wait for news at Chardon High School early this morning.

Mother Darlene Judd said she had heard from her two sons, seniors Peter and Paul, and was relieved for them but scared for the others. Chardon is "a tight-knit community," she said. "Everybody knows everybody; everybody cares for everybody. Even though it's not your kid down, someone else's is."

Around 8:45, the Lake County SWAT team arrived with two large vehicles.

Parent Jeannette Roth, who had heard from her son Joshua, a junior, said he told her the shooting happened while students were eating breakfast in the cafeteria and waiting for first period. Suddenly, a boy "stood up and started shooting, and then it was chaos."

Students fled and were locked into classrooms for safety.

John Horton, The Plain DealerWorried parents wait for news at Chardon High School early this morning.

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: 5 students shot at Chardon High School; three have died. Suspect, TJ Lane, in custody. Lane did NOT Attend Chardon High School!! Found Guilty of 3 Life Sentences!!

Post by TerryRose on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:04 am

One of the 5 victims has died.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: 5 students shot at Chardon High School; three have died. Suspect, TJ Lane, in custody. Lane did NOT Attend Chardon High School!! Found Guilty of 3 Life Sentences!!

Post by Praying For Faith on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:05 am

Chardon High School Shooting: Five Injured, One in Custody

Five students were injured and one gunman is in custody following a shooting this morning at Chardon High School in Ohio.

The gunman opened fire with a handgun just before 8 a.m. in the school cafeteria where students were eating breakfast, authorities and witnesses said.

The shooter was chased out of the building by a teacher and later turned himself in to a passerby, authorities said at a news conference. Police have not yet confirmed if the gunman was a student at the school, but junior Heather Ziska told the Associated Press she recognized the shooter as a fellow student.

The suspect is in custody at Geauga County Safety Center, according to ABC News' Cleveland affiliate WEWS.

"A prompt entry was made into the school. They went into the school and located the victims. It became readily apparent that the shooter had fled already," Geauga County Sheriff Daniel McClelland said at a news conference. "The individual was apprehended some distance from the school and had fled on foot."

The officer said police created a security perimeter to make sure the gunman could not return and a search, including a K-9 unit, was launched for the suspect.

Two students were taken by ambulance to Hillcrest Hospital and three were taken by helicopter to MetroHealth Hospital, according to WEWS.
PHOTO: People are evacuated from Chardon High School in Chardon, Ohio, after a number of students were shot, Feb. 27, 2012.
John Horton/The Plain Dealer/AP Photo/
People are evacuated from Chardon High School... View Full Size
Seattle School-Shooting Boy Charged Watch Video
Cape Fear School Shooting: 2 Teens in Custody Watch Video
Rio de Janeiro Shooting Claims 12 Lives Watch Video

Parent Teresa Hunt told WEWS that she was texting with her daughter during the lockdown and her daughter said she heard five shots fired in the cafeteria about 7:30 a.m. Her daughter texted that students were scared and that four people had been shot.

Chardon student Evan Erasmus told WEWS that a student had tweeted that he was going to bring a gun to school, but that no one took him seriously.

The Chardon Fire Department was called to the school at about 7:45 a.m. in response to a report of "several people shot," according to Inspector William Crowley of the Chardon Fire Department.

Multiple law enforcement agencies are on-scene, including a SWAT team that is checking the entire school.

"We are on scene and can confirm that a SWAT team is out there, making things secure and, of course, conducting the preliminary steps of the investigation with the local authorities that called us," Vicki Anderson, a spokeswoman for the FBI's Cleveland division, told ABCNews.com.

The superintendent immediately canceled classes at all schools in the district. Students who were still on school buses were being dropped back off at their homes and parents were called to pick up their children that were already at school.

The Chardon School District sent a voicemail to parents that schools are closed and high school students are being moved to the middle school, according to WEWS.

Parents received the following message:

"As of 9:00 AM the alleged sole CHS gunman is in custody and Chardon High School students are being moved by safety forces to Maple Elementary. Parents or legal guardians can pick up their students up any time. Chardon Middle School students are also being released to parents."

Ohio Gov. John Kasich tweeted around 9:30 a.m., "Pls pray for wounded Chardon HS students, their families, and their community; appears things under control now."

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has eight agents on their way to the scene and they are expected to trace the firearm.

Chardon is a village in Geauga County, about 35 miles east of Cleveland, Ohio.

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 am

They just announced that one student may have died on our news here. We are always late.

TR, isn't that Amish Country in Chardon also?

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 am

I guess metal detectors is going to be the norm in schools. We will never get cohesive gun laws in this country, the gun lobby is too strong.
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Normal Chardon High School student identifies shooter in spree that killed 1

Post by Praying For Faith on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Chardon High School student identifies shooter in spree that killed 1

Published: Monday, February 27, 2012, 12:17 PM Updated: Monday, February 27, 2012, 1:58 PM
Laura Johnston, The Plain Dealer By Laura Johnston, The Plain Dealer

The Plain DealerNate Mueller talks outside Chardon High School.

CHARDON, Ohio -- A Chardon High School student died today after a shooting spree that left four others injured, police said.

High school junior Nate Mueller, who was hit in the right ear, identified the shooter as T.J. Lane.

Mueller said he and his friends, including Russell King, Nick Walczak and Demetrius Hewlin, were sitting at their regular cafeteria table when T.J. approached them about 7:30 a.m.

Nate said he heard a gunshot behind him. He turned and felt a sting on his ear.

"My friends were crawling on the floor, and one of my friends was bent over the table, and he was shot," Nate said. "It was almost like a firecracker went off. I turned around and saw [T.J.] standing with a gun and I saw him take a shot."

Nate, who has a scratch on his upper right ear, said he ran out of the building, hid behind a car and called 9-1-1.

Nate said his group was friends with T.J. through middle school, but in high school, T.J. went a separate way.

Russell, he said, had recently started dating T.J.'s ex-girlfriend, who is home-schooled.

"He was silent the whole time," said Nate, who was waiting for a bus to his culinary arts classes at Auburn Career Center. "That's what made it so random."

T.J., he said, normally waits for a bus that goes to Lake Academy, a school in Willoughby that serves at-risk students.

Police have confirmed that there are five victims and that the shooter is in custody.

A 17-year-old-boy and 18-year-old girl are in stable condition at Hillcrest Hospital, a spokeswoman said.
More Chardon High School shooting stories

Geauga County Sheriff's deputies appeared to be talking with someone in the back of this vehicle on Woodin Road following a shooting of five students at Chardon High School in Chardon on Monday, Feb. 27, 2012.

Suspected Gunman T J Lane

RT @Q104Kory: Shooter in #chardon is allegedly TJ Lane. This picture posted on his Twitter account last night. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:15 pm

From TR's link above:

Chardon student Evan Erasmus told NewsChannel5 that a student tweeted that he was going to bring a gun to school but no one took him seriously.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:30 pm

pff, I do not know of any Amish sections in Chardon. I visited a family there once or twice in my life, but basically, I always had the impression that well-to-do people mostly lived there, meaning a class higher than myself. Houses have big sized properties, maybe could be called rural. This is my impression of the area of Chardon.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:32 pm

I had posted wrong information. The 2 in critical condition are still in critical condition, and they have not released their names. There are 2 in serious and stable, whose names have been released. And, of course, they have released the name of the student who was killed.

Last edited by TerryRose on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Do we have information on the student who was killed?
They are saying this student was bullied?
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:25 pm

CHARDON, OHIO -- One student is dead and four others remain hospitalized in the Chardon High School shootings. Two of those victims are listed in critical condition.

The student who died of his injuries has been identified as Daniel Parmentor, 16. His family released the following statement:

"We are shocked by this senseless tragedy. Danny was a bright young boy who had a bright future ahead of him. The family is torn by this loss. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time."

Four others are still being treated at area hospitals for injuries. All of the injured are students.

The two victims that are listed in critical condition were taken by LifeFlight to MetroHealth Medical Center. The other two victims were taken by ground ambulance to Cleveland Clinic's Hillcrest Hospital in Mayfield Heights.

According to Hillcrest, the victims being treated there are a 17-year-old boy who is listed in serious condition and an 18-year-old girl listed in stable condition.

The victims were found in three locations inside the school.

The alleged gunman has been identified as Thomas "TJ" Lane, 17. Law enforcement officials Lane has been described to them as a victim of bullying and an outcast.

The victims were in the school's cafeteria waiting for a bus for the Auburn Career Center when the shots were fired. According to a survivor, Lane attended Lake Academy for at-risk students.

The sheriff says Lane turned himself in to bystanders off-site from the school in Chardon Township.

A teacher is credited with chasing Lane from from the building.

Gunfire was reported inside the high school cafeteria just after 7:30 a.m.

Students barricaded themselves in classrooms as the school was placed in lockdown.

Students were evacuated from the school five at a time. The Superintendent says high school students were evacuated to Maple Elementary School where parents were picking up their children.

The wounded were taken to a makeshift landing area in the parking lot of the nearby Walmart where they were placed on LifeFlight.

All classes in the Chardon school district have been cancelled for today. A spokeswoman says the district's schools will be closed on Tuesday as well. Grief counselors are on hand for students at Chardon Middle School from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:26 pm

They have been covering this all day on Channel 3 news in Cleveland, Ohio. In their latest newscast, they have revealed the names of all victims, except for the 2 in critical condition.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:45 pm

TerryRose wrote:pff, I do not know of any Amish sections in Chardon. I visited a family there once or twice in my life, but basically, I always had the impression that well-to-do people mostly lived there, meaning a class higher than myself. Houses have big sized properties, maybe could be called rural. This is my impression of the area of Chardon.

TR, I am wrong. I looked it up and it is Charm in the Amish Country, south of you that I was thinking of. I have never been to Charm either, but know people who have. I knew the kids and parents did not look Amish. lol

Sorry

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 pm

pff, Chardon is NE of me and in the primary snow belt. They probably get hit the hardest with heavy snowfall. Wrap's brother is probably much closer than I am to that location. Charm lives in Amish country?----where?

I don't know about this. One of three main channels in the area say 2 kids are dead. I was listening to one of them at 11:00 who had an on location news reporter who said 2 are critical at Metro, then said something about families leaving the hospital very upset and in tears, but quickly added that "the official word is that the 2 are still critical". This doesn't sound promising for one or both of them, the way this is being presented right now. The 2 in critical must be severely damaged, perhaps their survival is in doubt or perhaps they are just not releasing the facts to the media yet. Those poor families, how tragic this is!
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:45 pm

lol TR, Charm is a little community in that Amish area.

Last edited by Praying For Faith on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:10 pm

What a sad and senseless thing this is. I wonder if he singled out the kids who bullied (if that part is true) him? So unnecessary. I hope that three are still alive and that they make a full recovery. OMG, when will this end?
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 am

This video explains the confusion. This is the only channel still reporting 2 dead, plus one near death and that all 3 of the critical were shot in the head. The hospital has quit releasing information, local news awaits official word and confirmation of the above.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 am

Visit msnbc.com for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:17 am

Visit msnbc.com for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:17 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:22 am

Chardon High School Shooting: Second Student Dies as Alleged Gunman Is Identified

By CHRISTINA NG and BARBARA LOWE | Good Morning America – Mon, Feb 27, 2012 9:06 AM EST

A second victim of the teenage student who allegedly opened fire at Chardon High School in Ohio has died.
Russell King, Jr., 17, was pronounced brain dead at 12:42 a.m. at Ohio's MetroHealth Medical Center, according to the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office.

The alleged shooter who killed two and wounding three others has been identified as T.J. Lane, according to a fellow student who witnessed the incident and ABC News' Cleveland affiliate WEWS.

The attack left "friends laying all over the place" in puddles of blood, one student told ABC News.

Nate Mueller, a junior at the school, was having breakfast with three friends when he heard a loud pop like a firecracker about 7:45 a.m., he told ABC News.
A friend yelled, "Duck" and Mueller told ABC News he turned to see fellow student Lane standing by his table. Mueller said Lane took a second shot and saw a friend get hit.

"He was over the table in a pool of blood," Mueller said, and another pal "was on the floor in a puddle of blood next to him."

A third friend "had not been hit yet as I jumped over him," Mueller said.

Mueller got on the floor and was trying to crawl away when a shot rang out and he felt a bullet graze his ear. He was not badly injured, he said, with just a small red mark left on his ear.

"It was terror. Everything had just gone tunnel vision, like, I need to get out of here," Mueller said. "You see glances of your friends laying all over the place. There's blood, there's people screaming, everybody's just running in different directions and you're just trying to get out. That's all you can do, get out of the school and not look back even though your friends are back there."
Two students were taken by ambulance to Hillcrest Hospital and three were taken by helicopter to MetroHealth Hospital, according to WEWS.

A student identified by MetroHealth Hospital as Daniel Parmertor died from the wounds Monday. His family released the following statement through the hospital:
"We are shocked by this senseless tragedy. Danny was a bright young boy who had a bright future ahead of him. The family is torn by this loss. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time."

Another students at MetroHealth Hospital is in critical condition, according to police.

Police have not officially identified Lane as the gunman, saying only that the shooter has not yet been charged and that he is a juvenile.

Mueller described Lane as "a quiet kid. Freshman year he got into a 'goth' phase and didn't talk to that many people anymore. He never egged anybody on. He just went about his business."

But Lane's family life had been disrupted by divorce and violence, WEWS reported. His parents divorced in 2002, and his father later served time in jail on assault and other charges, according to the station.

Classmates described Lane as a outcast who'd been bullied. In late December he posted a poem on his Facebook page that read: "He longed for only one thing, the world to bow at his feet," and ended ominously: "Die, all of you."

Lane allegedly opened fire with a handgun just before 8 a.m. in the school cafeteria where students were eating breakfast, authorities and witnesses said.

The shooter was chased out of the building by a teacher and later turned himself in to a passerby, authorities said.

The suspect is in custody at Geauga County Safety Center, according to WEWS.

"Our prayers go out to the five victims and their families," a choked up School Superintendent Joseph Bergant said at news conference. "It's a horrible tragedy."
In the wake of the shooting, perhaps in a sign of solidarity, many of Lane's classmates -- including many in the "friends" column on Lane's Facebook page -- had the Chardon High School "Hilltoppers" logo as their Facebook profile pictures.
Geauga County Sheriff Daniel McClelland praised the reaction to the shooting.

"A prompt entry was made into the school. They went into the school and located the victims. It became readily apparent that the shooter had fled already," McClelland said. "The individual was apprehended some distance from the school and had fled on foot."

The officer said police created a security perimeter to make sure the gunman could not return and a search, including a K-9 unit, was launched for the suspect.

Ohio High School Student Arrested in School Shooting
Parent Teresa Hunt told WEWS that she was texting with her daughter during the lockdown and her daughter said she heard five shots fired in the cafeteria about 7:30 a.m. Her daughter texted that students were scared and that four people had been shot.

Chardon student Evan Erasmus told WEWS that a student had tweeted that he was going to bring a gun to school, but that no one took him seriously.

The Chardon Fire Department was called to the school at about 7:45 a.m. in response to a report of "several people shot," according to Inspector William Crowley of the Chardon Fire Department.

Multiple law enforcement agencies, including a SWAT team, rushed to the school.

The superintendent immediately canceled classes at all schools in the district. Students who were still on school buses were being dropped back off at their homes and parents were called to pick up their children that were already at school.

The Chardon School District sent a voicemail to parents that schools are closed and high school students are being moved to the middle school, according to WEWS.
Parents received the following message:

"As of 9:00 AM the alleged sole CHS gunman is in custody and Chardon High School students are being moved by safety forces to Maple Elementary. Parents or legal guardians can pick up their students up any time. Chardon Middle School students are also being released to parents."

Ohio Gov. John Kasich tweeted around 9:30 a.m., "Pls pray for wounded Chardon HS students, their families, and their community; appears things under control now."
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has eight agents on their way to the scene and they are expected to trace the firearm.

Chardon is a village in Geauga County, about 35 miles east of Cleveland.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:23 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:25 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:27 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:29 am

This is HORRIBLE!! Another Columbine! OMG!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 am

3rd. student has just died at Metrohealth, Cleveland, Ohio.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:33 pm

TR, how horrific!! I just changed the header. Do you please have a link?

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:14 pm

OMG!, I just heard at 12:30 on the radio that the second student had died, now a third one. How horrific!!!

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Normal Third student dies after Ohio school shooting

Post by raine1953 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Chardon, Ohio (CNN) -- A third student has died of wounds suffered in a shooting at a high school in Chardon, Ohio, hospital officials said Tuesday.
Demetrius Hewlin died Tuesday morning, MetroHealth Medical Center said in a statement.
Russell King Jr., 17, was declared brain dead early Tuesday, according to the Cuyahoga County medical examiner's office.
The first victim, student Daniel Parmertor. died Monday.
"We are very saddened by the loss of our son and others in our Chardon community," Hewlin's family said in a statement released by the hospital. "Demetrius was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends. We will miss him very much, but we are proud that he will be able to help others through organ donation."
Police have yet to identify the alleged shooter, but many students -- some of whom said they were steps away when the shooting began -- described him as a withdrawn boy named T.J. Lane.
Police Chief Tim McKenna said the motive remained unclear. He hoped prosecutors could provide more information after a hearing in juvenile court Tuesday afternoon.
The suspect was scheduled to appear in juvenile court at 3:30 p.m.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said Tuesday he does not expect the case to remain in juvenile court.
Shooting suspect went to other school Friend: Alleged gunman had sad look Student: Teacher chased out gunman Chardon student: 'I saw a gun pointing'
"I have not talked to the prosecuting attorney, David Joyce, yet, but what we would assume is that this case would be at some point bound over and he would be tried, in all likelihood, as an adult," DeWine said on CNN.
Lane told authorities that he stole the gun used in the shootings from his uncle, a source told CNN on Tuesday.
A law enforcement source said that the weapon used in the shooting was a semi-automatic .22-caliber handgun that had been legally purchased in the last few years, the law enforcement source said.
The source said the shooter fired at least six shots at victims in the cafeteria and in a hallway.
Police found the gun inside the school, apparently dropped by the suspect as he ran away, the source said.
Two other students wounded in the shooting remained hospitalized Tuesday. They were being treated at Hillcrest Hospital in Mayfield Heights. Police said Monday that one was in serious condition and the other in stable condition. Their names have not been released.
Geauga County Sheriff Daniel McClelland said that although the initial response to the shooting is over, the community has a long way to go before it can put the shooting behind it.
"Now we move to another important phase," he said. "And while the investigation continues and we still look for the why and what and who, we now deal with a community looking to heal."
Classes in the tight-knit community of 5,100, about 30 miles east of Cleveland, are not scheduled to resume until Friday. But staff, students and parents will be encouraged to return to district schools for visits and counseling on Wednesday and Thursday, Superintendent Joe Bergant said.
iReport: Shooting at Chardon High School
Thousands of people posted on Facebook and other social networking services pledging to wear red -- Chardon's school color -- on Tuesday in support of the victims and survivors of the shooting. Thousands of others came together to post condolences on memorial pages dedicated to the victims.
Some of the victims were students who attended Auburn Career Center, a nearby vocational school, and were waiting for a bus to take them there, said Maggie Lynch, the school's superintendent.
Lane is a student at Lake Academy Alternative School, a school for at-risk children, said the school's interim director, Don Ehas.
Attorney: Shooting suspect 'remorseful' Author: Schools need 'culture of caring' Columbine survivor on Chardon shooting Social media's double edged sword
In a statement Monday, Parmertor's family said they were "torn by the loss."
"Danny was a bright young boy who had a bright future ahead of him," the family said.
Lawyer Bob Farinacci, speaking for Lane's family, said late Monday night that the suspect, a 17-year-old sophomore, was "extremely remorseful."
"Very, very scared and extremely remorseful," he told CNN affiliate WKYC.
"He is a very confused young man right now," Farinacci said. "He's very confused. He is very upset. He's very distraught."
Like others in Chardon, Lane's family also has been left grappling for an explanation.
"This is something that could never have been predicted," Farinacci said. "T.J.'s family has asked for some privacy while they try to understand how such a tragedy could have occurred and while they mourn this terrible loss for their community."
With little to go on to help make sense of the violence, many turned to cryptic Facebook postings by the alleged shooter for a glimpse into Lane's mindset -- especially a long, dark poetic rant from December 30.
The post refers to "a quaint lonely town, (where there) sits a man with a frown (who) longed for only one thing, the world to bow at his feet."
"He was better than the rest, all those ones he detests, within their castles, so vain," he wrote.
Lane then wrote about going through "the castle ... like an ominous breeze through the trees," past guards -- all leading up to the post's dramatic conclusion.
"Feel death, not just mocking you. Not just stalking you but inside of you," he writes. "Wriggle and writhe. Feel smaller beneath my might. Seizure in the Pestilence that is my scythe."
He concluded the post with: "Die, all of you."
Despite the dark tone, Farinacci said Lane was a "fairly quiet and good kid" with good grades who was doubling up on classes to graduate in May.
"He pretty much sticks to himself but does have some friends and has never been in trouble over anything that we know about," he said.
But just before class started Monday, witnesses say, Lane silently walked up to a table of students, holding a gun. As he opened fire, the shooter was expressionless, a student recalled.
"He was silent the entire time," said student Nate Mueller, who said his ear was grazed by a bullet. "There was no warning or anything. He just opened fire."
Danny Komertz, a freshman, said the shooter seemed to be focused on specific targets.
"I looked straight ahead, and I saw a gun pointing at a group of four guys sitting at a table. ... He just fired two quick shots at them. I saw one student fall, and I saw the other hiding, trying to get cover underneath the table," Komertz said.
"He was aiming right at them as he was two feet away. ... He wasn't shooting around the cafeteria at all. He was directly aiming at the four of them," he said.
Monday's death toll may have been much higher were it not for the actions of assistant football coach and study hall teacher Frank Hall, students said. Hall chased the gunman out of the school, and police arrested the suspect nearby a short time later.
"Coach Hall, he always talks about how much he cares about us students, his team and everyone," said student Neil Thomas. "And I think today he really went out and he proved how much he cared about us. He would take a bullet for us."
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:01 pm

This is beyond horrific.

On my FB page, River Cruz is saying the kid did this because he was bullied. Apparently, her kid is being bullied, too, and she is calling all the news stations in Orlando and no one is listening to her.

I have not read that he was being bullied and he didn't even go to that school! And, even if he WAS being bullied, that doesn't give him the right to take innocent lives.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Slys Hunny on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:34 pm

I dont have a link yet but on our news it said the 3rd student had died, that Lane was saying he shot at random people and that he got the gun from his uncle. Also the part about being bullied.

My son 13 came home yesterday from school and was scared. He said "Mom i could see **** doing this he gets bullied all the time". I immediatly called the principle just to let them be aware. Such a tragic tragic thing!!!
Slys Hunny

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:18 pm

On the most recent press conference, law enforcement adamantly denied that his motive was having been bullied or that he had any particular motive against those he chose to shoot. They claimed very firmly that it was a random act and he shot whoever was present to shoot, didn't even know every one of them. I don't totally believe this, but this is what they said he confessed to. These sleepy bedroom communities hush things up forever, I know, I live in one of those. I believe they would endeavor to protect the reputations of the deceased and the preservation of the memories of good, wholesome kids. To say that they could have been antagonizing and bullying this kid would serve to sully the fallen's memory. This is my opinion only, but knowing well-to-do kids as I do, I know this is a common thing among even the brightest of them.

Also, is this what the damn NRA wanted to bring upon us? No control of handguns? Last weekend in nearby Cleveland, there were 7 gunshot deaths. You probably never heard about it as you have this school shooting simply because it was inner-city poor drug-infested black neighborhoods in which they occurred. There has been handgun violence in the schools that serve those neighborhoods, Cleveland installed metal detectors at the doorways to the schools because of the increasing threat of gun violence within those schools. On the other hand, Chardon, a more wealthy class, mostly white, suburb of Cleveland smugly thought they needed no such protections, they were above this.

Add to this what an interview with a neighbor of the grandparents' 40 acre property said: They were always nice and polite, like he was, whenever they by chance happened to see them, but they used their property frequently for target practice with guns. Neighbors heard them shooting all the time. This kids' parents divorced, after which his father went to jail for his own violent actions, and he was being cared for by the grandparents who obviously loved their guns.

The NRA has foisted upon us the Wild West all over again. We are not safe anymore in restaurants, ballgames, bars, food stores. It is now legal to concealed carry and we have to trust that a lady who packs a loaded weapon in her purse sitting at the next table in a restaurant is responsible and that it won't go off accidentally in our direction.

A big hoopla over my cigarette----I could shout it from the rooftops to people----Quit falling for all this hype----Catching a foul smell in the open air as you pass by me smoking a cigarette will never kill you, but that loaded gun in somebody's pocket or purse will kill you before you even have a chance to complain about it.

Add to this, the more handguns out there (and remember, handguns are not meant to be used for hunting food or sport----they have no other purpose but to kill other people).....the greater the possibility of a child from toddler through high school age getting his hands on one.

When will these so-called Christians who were so championing the abolition of all gun control laws quit worshipping their damn guns?!

TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Bravo Bravo Bravo

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:54 pm

The copycat phenomenon has begun:

This is very close to my neighborhood.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 pm

TR, I saw you just posted that on FB. Unreal!!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:26 pm

When I went to Fox 8 for that link, underneath were 2 earlier articles about students expelled for bomb threats to yet another county's school system in the upper half of the state of Ohio. Yet, I must say, that even when my children were in school, there were bomb threats. Sometimes kids just want a day off, or they play with being bad and cool or something, there was never a real bomb. Strangely, those links are now dead and after a minute or two, totally removed from their web page. What is of concern, are the copycat, Columbine-Chardon threats with the use of guns, in my opinion. I think all the schools right now are on high alert much like they were after Columbine.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:51 pm

TR wrote:
The NRA has foisted upon us the Wild West all over again. We are not safe anymore in restaurants, ballgames, bars, food stores. It is now legal to concealed carry and we have to trust that a lady who packs a loaded weapon in her purse sitting at the next table in a restaurant is responsible and that it won't go off accidentally in our direction.
Do you really think that gun control laws would stop people that want to use guns to rob and kill from getting hold of one? With the way that this society is going, I think that decent citizens need to be able to protect ourselves from the killers...You can bet your bippy that the CRIMINALS will have weapons no matter what laws are in place. I am a Christian and I have a concealed carry permit, but I DO NOT worship my gun. And I've never heard of a concealed gun in a lady's purse going off accidentally and harming anybody. Maybe it's happened, but I haven't heard of any instances near my neck of the woods. But I HAVE heard of women being kidnapped and raped and home invasions where the occupants were not prepared to defend themselves. I may be in the minority here, and this may be cliche, but "Guns don't kill people: people kill people."
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Lisette, I respect what you have to say and you made some great points. I've always been on the fence on this issue. In the case of the high school that just lost 3 students, I can see where people are coming from. And, yes..I can also see wanting to protect ones self from an intruder, robber, rapist. I applauded TR because I do agree with her..she made some great points.

I used to carry a gun and did I feel safer? Not really. But that is just me. I live in a state where Everyone has a gun. I can see a rifle or a shot gun for hunting but a hand gun IS primarily used for killing a person..so this is where I go, "what's right? what's wrong?" Gun control or NO gun control? It's one of those issues that IMHO has nothing to do with "religion" and everything to do with personal choice. I respect both of your positions.

Last edited by Wrapitup on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed "both of you and your")

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Happened in a food store several years ago, woman behind in checkout line got shot from woman's purse in front of her. Heard of another case but cannot remember it clearly. Look, the state of Ohio had quite acceptable laws that didn't take any legitimate gun owners rights away until the NRA put the stops on those laws. They were making progress also in the big cities, buying back guns to get them off the streets and throwing them in the furnaces of the steel mills. Prior to this, there were laws whereby rifles had to be dissasembled and unloaded, transported in vehicles, do not remember the details, but in plain sight maybe. You have a permit, do they need one now after the laws have changed? Before this, they were illegal to bring concealed into bars, restaurants, stadiums, etc.....now the cities have no control over that either. The NRA has done us a great disservice in tinkering with the laws. The laws as they were never bothered your rights at all as a responsible gun owner within this state of Ohio. I am Christian also and resent that silent majority or whatever they called their pious selves, one of whose main objectives was to get rid of all gun control. We need to be protected from crazy people getting assault weapons and handguns, we need to be protected from unlawful sales at gun shows to these irresponsible people. We have to have licenses to have dogs, drive a car, run a business, what is the harm in requiring one to own and carry a lethal weapon? No, we cannot have that, no controls at all. In my humble opinion, therein lies the danger to you, me and the rest of society we live in. Laws were created since the Wild West days because they were needed in heavily populated cities, now all laws are abolished, thanks to the efforts of one political party that calls itself Christian all the time and really championed the agenda of the NRA to get all controls and laws abolished about a decade or less ago. I don't know about you, but this is not the Christianity I believe in. I hope I have explained what I meant without offending anyone for I do not want to offend members of that political party that championed this cause of the NRA and now we are stuck with the effects of it.

PS Something is quite wrong when the only interests and entertainments this particular child had in his recent past was shooting at things and killing things on his grandparents' acreage.

Last edited by TerryRose on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:11 am

I will post no more on the subject of the change in the laws regarding handguns in the state of Ohio, unless I am asked for any further opinions or to cite the many cases in which children were killed or endangered by guns because of it. The portion of the state of Ohio in which this school tragedy occurred is the heavily populated portion of this particular state, containing big congested cities. This is not the same kind of situation that exists in the lower half of the state of Ohio, being more rural and mountainous, and perhaps home to more threatening creatures in those areas of the state. This is not the same kind of situation as Texas for example which always was said to be "wide-open" Texas with vast ranches and stretches of land, sparsely populated, with more dangerous wildlife. I want to point out the differences in where we live. What might work for some is certainly not a good thing for others.

I will say that I will probably be long gone when, as the pendulum swings back and forth, people will one day say they need more laws and regulations to protect their young and their innocents and seek to change things back from this anarchy or free-for-all. Previous generations were quite rational when they established some of the laws that have now been abolished in our generation. But, like I say, when people see the need is to gain back some control over their own safety and that of their children, I will probably not be on this planet any more anyway, just wanted to speak my piece while I have the chance.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:42 am

I am like Wrap and have been on the fence about this subject. That is until I had an attempted break-in at my own home at 9:00a.m. in the morning.

He had previously knocked on my door to see if anyone was home. No one that I know would travel to my house without first calling to see if we were home. I am on the way to no where, for them to just drop by. Well, I did not answer my door and when he quit knocking I hurried to my front windows to peek out and see who was driving, walking out of my driveway. I saw no one. So I thought that they must have walked to the left of my house, because I could see in every other direction. Wrong, he went back to his vehicle to get his tools and rubber gloves so he did not leave any fingerprints. Smart thief! Next thing I knew I heard my storm door open, then a ripping noise which was the glass being cut out and then the pounding and kicking at my front door. He tried to pry the stainless grills apart so that he could get his hand in to unlock my door lock. He fractured the leaded glass panel but could not get it broken. He pounded, pried so hard that he broke the inside trim around that window. He worked and worked and finally left. I was on the phone with 911, but TR LE never gets to your home while the criminals are there to catch them. The longer this went on, the more hysterical I became. When LE finally arrived, they told me that they usually only stay a certain length of time and then leave before they get caught. My feelings are that it is hard telling what would have happened to me if this person would have gained access to my home. For sure I would have been robbed, maybe raped or beat up. The LE did tell me that they tell people to go and get a concealed carry permit for a weapon to protect yourself. I have not done that yet, because of 2 surgeries and the shoulder injury. But it is fully my intent to do so and I fully intend to learn how to use it properly and to practice so that I am comfortable with it. Could be in my own backyard also. When LE arrived, they first told me that there had just been another attempted break-in just 45 minutes earlier across the county. Then they called me for a while each time another break-in happened. We were having a lot of them at that time. They continue to grab women's purses in the parking lots. Actually a lady had her taken just recently, she tried to hang on to it and ended up getting knocked down and dragged. Thankfully for her strangers came to her rescue. I had no one to help me that morning because most people around me are not home. They are now constantly stealing air conditioning parts, copper and aluminum gutters off of your house, on the outside of course, but they are still creeping around your own property. They broke into our large storage barn out back several time. No, nothing of importance in there anymore. The first time, I woke up about 3:00a.m. coughing my head off and flipped on the hall light to go and get more cough medicine so that I did not wake up everyone else. They were out there then stealing our stuff. They had things down and close to the door to take, but grabbed a sledge hammer and left when I turned on the lights. They got some things, including my oldest son's nice bike that he had purchased with his own money from a job that he worked. He was just sick. They had broken into the neighbors regular garage before us and cleaned him out. Do I feel safe today, no way? I felt very violated.

My dil had a strange feeling in a grocery store parking lot also. She was close to the door. A man was hanging around the front entrance and she did not like the looks of him. She sat in her car and called a friend on her cell phone. Well the man got tired of waiting for her to get out of her car and shrugged his shoulders to another man that was hiding between two cars. She figures that they were going to grab her purse and maybe even her very nice diamond ring. When they left, she went inside and got the manager and he could have cared less. This is a different world today we live in and it is not safe. I feel that you have to protect yourself someway. That man scared me to pieces TR and I hope you never have to be scared like that. Someone did the same thing to an 80 year old man shortly after they tried to break-in to my home. Knocked on his door, he answered, they asked for someone else that they were supposed to do work for. Of course it was a lie. They went back later, broke in to his home and beat him up pretty bad and robbed him.

So, I guess my mind has changed. I do feel that citizens should have the right to have protection, but I also feel that they should be trained on how to use it properly, safety latches ect. The criminal will always get their hands on illegal weapons that have not been registered to them. They will be the ones to have more weapons and the higher powered weapons also. That is why I now feel that we have a right to protect ourselves and why my mind has changed on this subject. especially in today's society. When I get protection and a concealed carry, I am not so sure that I would carry it in my purse. Although when I have these people appear at my window out of no where when I am sitting in my car in a parking lot or going to my car, I feel that I should have protection. They are definitely after money and it is hard telling what they would do to get it. Recently I told my husband NO to giving a man money, when he appeared at his window just as he was getting in the car. He had his story about running out of gas, 6 kids in his car further up in the shopping area. I told my husband to take him and BUY him some gasoline. He told the man that and guess what he did not want that gas after all. We saw him walking in the parking lot, there was no car or kids. Usually they just move on to someone else. We are tired of it and truly again who knows what they will do. Yes, we do feel that they are hiding somewhere, as you do not see them while you are going to your car. My husband was also hit upon for money INSIDE a Home Depot Store here in the middle of a Saturday afternoon. Getting pretty bold. My son and a friend had their cars broken into at 6:00a.m. the day before Thanksgiving. They were even parked under a light. They were able to watch a video of the low life thief. He spent 45 minutes getting into both of their vehicles. He took my son's briefcase with nothing but school paperwork, coaching paperwork and a couple of textbooks and of course some paperwork had his name and address on it. Oh, then a sack that had an apple in it that he had not eaten for lunch the day before. Nothing of value there for that man. He got the other man's briefcase with his work laptop ect. Of course they were left with broken windows and scratched paint on their vehicles. The owner of the club called my son a couple of weeks later and told him that the same man, in the same truck came back again and broke into other vehicles. This time he had a female with him. An employee of the club was now watching the video camera and went racing out and was able to get a few numbers off of the license plate before the man raced out of there. Police could nothing again. I could go on with other stories also, but I won't. It is happening all the time now, even inside stores.

So my feelings have changed and I do feel that I have the right to protect myself from these criminals. Weapons should have the safety lock on, the clip or ammo removed from the gun until needed and should be put up and away from children and teenagers. That is just common sense and I know a lot of people do not have common sense, but I do no longer feel that regular citizens should be punished for the others.

I hope that my post has not offended you or anyone else, as that was not my intent. Just my point of view now.

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:02 am

PFF, I swore I wasn't going to comment but have to after your post. I can most definitely see why you would want protection and can understand why you are very, very leary of things like Craigslist, etc., after reading your post.

I wonder..what if there were NO guns at all? What would this world be like? I know this will never happen, but think about it. NO guns. Not in the US, not anywhere. Then what? We would have to worry about explosives or knives? I think I'd take my chances. Guns, in the wrong hands, as we read about every.single.day - are being carried by juveniles and drug addicts. I know there is no way every gun out there will EVER be registered..so why not abolish them? Now, I know people that hunt will read this and say, "Is she nuts?" But, wouldn't we, as a society, be much better off without guns? How about pepper spray? No guns but pepper spray and everyone gets free security for their homes. I know this post is WAY off base but these are the things I think about in the wee hours. Maybe the government should pass a law that every citizen has to take karate or some form of marshal art. IDK, maybe I'm "loopy" cause it's late but as long as there are guns, there are going to be horrific deaths. And, why must they be concealed? I would think no one is going to try to shoot you if they see you wearing a gun in public. These are just my early morning thoughts and NO, I am not drunk or drinking. LOL.

Bottom line, there has to be a better way. MOO.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Praying For Faith on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:06 am

That would be great, if they could keep the guns out of the criminals hands. But I don't truthfully think that will ever happen. I do think that the criminals will always find a way to get their hands on them. MOO!

I wish that we did not live in a world like it is today where we even had to think about protecting ourselves and could go back and leave the keys in our cars and our doors unlocked like it used to be. Those days will never return I am afraid.

Last edited by Praying For Faith on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Praying For Faith

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:07 am

EXACTLY, and therein lies the problem!!!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:26 am

PFF, if what happened to you had happened to me, I know I would have bought a gun. The next time he tried to get thru' my door I would think I'd call 911 and inform them he was breaking in and to send a car but in the meantime I'm shooting a great big hole in him if he makes it into the house.
I wasn't going to comment either. I still ride the fence on the issue. I have to say I LOATHE the NRA. I understand that the criminals will always be able to obtain the biggest and best firearms with no problem. But on the flip side, I don't want to go to a bar or party where people are legally packing, everyone gets drunk, someone gets miffed at someone and they shoot them. I think the laws needs to be revamped and every single state in the US should have extremely strict background checks on people purchasing firearms BEFORE they get that gun in their hand.
One thing that sticks out in my mind, in the 90's, in the Valley here in CA two men robbed a bank. The PD was no match to them with the firearms. PD was clearly outgunned by two men. I'll never forget watching that on live TV.
OK, now I'm going to zip it!
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:54 am

Everyone who wants to have a gun in a house for protection, one caveat: I don't know if the law is still in place, but they used to say, if you shoot someone trying to break in, make sure you drag them into the house afterward or you will be guilty of a crime. Also, the purse grabbing thing happens here too quite often----what if the woman stored the gun in her purse? Would it then do her any good? Something more to think about with that one. But, if she defends her property with a gun, and shoots in a crowded parking lot, what about the stray bullets and the innocent people in the vicinity and their safety? Lots to think about on that subject.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRose on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:19 am

Word just in....N. Royalton HS, Ohio was on lockdown this AM due to threats of violence. Another very good school in a very nice place copycatting. 3 others have had bomb threats since the Chardon High Massacre a few days ago. All the copycats now come out of the woodwork.
TerryRose

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:39 pm

This copycat stuff is sickening and unfortunately it happens all the time.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:11 pm

My God, this needs to STOP!! I hope they catch these sick bastards that are making these bomb threats and scaring everyone. Enough already!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum