Massachusetts mother, Tanica Goodwin, in custody after children's throats slashed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Massachusetts mother, Tanica Goodwin, in custody after children's throats slashed

Post by lisette on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:44 am

A Massachusetts mother is in custody after police said she slashed her two children in the throat and set her apartment on fire.
Police said the children, ages 3 and 8, suffered very serious injuries and remain in critical condition at the Children's Hospital Boston, Fox affiliate WFXT-TV reported.
Tanicia Goodwin, 25, of Salem, Mass., will be arraigned Monday in Salem District Court on several charges, including two counts of assault with intent to murder and two counts assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and arson.
Firefighters said the two children were found in adjacent seventh-floor apartments just before 9:00 p.m. on Sunday. One of those apartments was filled with heavy smoke and no adult was nearby, they added.
Authorities have not released the names of the children.
About 50 people were left homeless as a result of the fire, according to the station.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lisette

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Massachusetts mother, Tanica Goodwin, in custody after children's throats slashed

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:18 pm

SALEM, Mass. — A mother accused of slashing her children's throats and setting fire to the family's apartment had removed the unit's inside doorknob, sealed vents, covered sprinklers and disabled the smoke alarm, prosecutors said Monday at the woman's arraignment.

Tanicia Goodwin was ordered held without bail pending an appearance in court next week. A judge will then decide if she's eligible for bail on two counts of assault with intent to murder, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and arson.

The 25-year-old Goodwin didn't enter a plea.

She held her head low and didn't speak in court other than to answer in the affirmative when the judge asked if she needed a court-appointed lawyer.

Firefighters responding to reports of a fire on the seventh floor of the Salem Heights apartment complex at about 9:15 p.m. Sunday found Goodwin and her 3-year-old daughter, Erica, in a neighbor's apartment. The girl had a laceration to her neck, and Goodwin was also suffering from what was described in court as a "superficial" wound to her neck.

Goodwin's 8-year-old son, Jamal, was found inside the family's apartment with a neck wound so deep his trachea was exposed, Assistant District Attorney Melissa Woodard said.

Both children were flown to Children's Hospital Boston in critical condition.

Goodwin told police: "I did what I had to do to protect my children," the prosecutor said, but there was no indication that anyone else was involved.

"I'm not supposed to be here. I'm not supposed to be alive," Goodwin told police, according to prosecutors.
Goodwin admitted to police that she had hurt the children, and when asked if his mother had done it, the boy nodded, prosecutors said.

There was no indication of drug or alcohol use, Woodard said. No possible motive was disclosed by either the prosecutor or Goodwin's lawyer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What the hell is going on? OMG, all these parents killing or harming their children!!!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Massachusetts mother, Tanica Goodwin, in custody after children's throats slashed

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Salem breeder slashes her kids’ throats and set the place on fire
Tanicia Goodwin, alleged baby throat slasher and arsonist.

I don’t usually start my stories telling you the ending, but I feel I must in this case. The two kids in this story are still alive. In critical condition, but alive nonetheless.

Tanicia Goodwin, 25, of Salem, MA, did the unthinkable (don’t they all?). She has been charged with two counts of assault with intent to murder, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and arson after she slit the throats of her 2 babies, doused them in lighter fluid, and set her apartment on fire. She sits in jail without bond while the she waits for her court date next week. She has plead not guilty.

Not sure how you plead not guilty after you walk into a police station covered in blood and lighter fluid, smash a glass display case in the lobby, then say ”I did what I had to do to protect my children.” According to police, she smelled of lighter fluid, had red liquid on her clothing and ash on her hands. Police said she had a “superficial” cut on her neck as well. ”I’m sorry, I had to protect my babies,” she told police. f**k, protect them from what? The boogie man doesn’t have shit on you lady.

Back at her apartment, her kids were being rescued by firefighters. Her 8-year old boy Jamal, was found inside the apartment with his throat slashed so deeply that his trachea was showing. He wasn’t able to speak or move, and hardly able to breath. When firefighters asked him if his mother did this to him, he was able to nod. Her 3-year old, Erica, was found face down and bleeding from her throat at a neighbor’s empty apartment. Tanicia had gone to this neighbor’s apartment with her and the firefighters actually saw them both before responding to the fire, but didn’t notice the girl’s wounds. Didn’t the f\'ing neighbors notice? While everyone was evacuating the building, she dumped her little girl on the couch face down, and left her alone to run to the police station. It was only by chance that a firefighter happened upon her while checking apartments to be sure everyone had gotten out safely.

As if it could get worse, not only did she set the fire but also disabled the apartment’s smoke alarms, removed the interior doorknob and blocked the vents and nearly every sprinkler with duct tape and rags. Guess she really wanted to get the job done. In her interview with police, she wouldn’t say much at first. She kept asking about the well being of her children, asking if they were alive. ”I’m not supposed to be here. … I’m not supposed to be alive”, she told them. Guess she was going to off herself too, too bad that didn’t work out. Police asked her if her husband or boyfriend had hurt her kids and she nodded no. When they asked her if she had hurt them, she shook her head yes.

Police recovered three cans of lighter fluid at the apartment, as well as a large kitchen knife, which they believe to be what she used to cut her kids.

Both children were flown to Children’s Hospital Boston in critical condition. Nurses had to wipe lighter fluid off both children before they could be treated. They’ve both undergone surgeries and Jamal is listed as critical condition as of yesterday, Erica in stable condition.

Another tidbit about Tanicia is that she only regained custody of Jamal in 2010 after voluntarily giving him up in 2007 to a cousin so that she could earn her GED and college degree. Um ok. I’ll refrain from commenting on this. But I will ask, you can’t go to school and be a mom like the f\'ing rest of us?

Thank GOD Jamal and Erica are alive. If we can find a silver lining, that’s it. No word on their dad or dads. Or on any family members stepping up to take care of these babies while this c**t serves her time. I hope they don’t end up in the system, but I suppose anywhere is better than with her. I hope she gets more than a slap on the wrist for her brutalities and direct disregard for human life. I smell an insanity pleas though and a “history of mental illness” story as well. Let’s hope the judge gets it right though.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:20 pm

Tanicia Goodwin Not 'Psycho Mom,' Despite Allegedly Slashing Kids' Throats, Cousin Says
By JAY LINDSAY 05/ 3/12

BOSTON — She has no doubt what prosecutors say is true: Her step-cousin doused her own children with lighter fluid, slashed their throats and set their apartment on fire. She's also adamant that Tanicia Goodwin should never again be near the two children, who somehow survived.

But Isis Haraty also knows Goodwin's encouragement is the main reason Haraty is now attending community college, despite having dropped out of middle school. That's just as real to Haraty as her anger at Goodwin for the horror of March 18.

"A person isn't one-dimensional," said Haraty, 22.

A status hearing was held Thursday in Goodwin's case and a probable cause hearing was scheduled for June. Goodwin faces charges including the attempted murders in Salem of her 3-year-old daughter, Erica, and her 8-year-old son, Jamaal, who lived even though Goodwin allegedly cut his throat so deep the boy's trachea was exposed.

The sickening allegations disgust and baffle those who knew Goodwin.

But Haraty still wants people to know there's more to Goodwin than the woman with the wild hair and dead eyes photographed during her initial court appearance.

"It's not `Psycho Mom,'" Haraty said. "She's also my cousin. She's also my friend. She's also all these other things, too."

Goodwin's attorney, Steven Van Dyke, declined to comment for this story.

Goodwin, 25, never knew her father, and her mother died of natural causes when she was pregnant with Jamaal, said Makeda Haraty, Haraty's mother and Goodwin's aunt.

Isis Haraty knew Goodwin best shortly after Jamaal was born, when Goodwin was a teen mother and Haraty was a middle school dropout, so gripped by a fear of crowds she sometimes couldn't step on a train.

"She felt isolated, I felt isolated and we found solace together," Haraty said. "We were both like statistics: ... `Black kids who can't make it to school.' But we didn't want to stay like that."

Goodwin eventually got her GED, and encouraged Haraty to do the same.

"She was like, `You are going to get your (butt) out this house. ... You can't stay in here, the world is out there,'" Haraty said.

"Without her, I would not be in college right now," added Haraty, who studies English at Bunker Hill Community College.

When Jamaal was about 3, Goodwin gave custody to her cousin, Wayne Cox, who then lived in the same building, so she could continue her schooling. Goodwin petitioned successfully in 2010 to get Jamaal back when Cox planned to move to Georgia, telling the court her life had stabilized.

In fact, things would soon fall apart. Goodwin had moved to Salem after she had Erica in 2008. But Goodwin didn't have a job, and family members say they heard increasingly less from her.

In May 2011, state social workers were notified after Jamaal told teachers Goodwin hit him, including once so hard in the forehead that his nose bled, prosecutors said in court.

In August, Goodwin received an eviction notice after failing to pay two months' rent. The case was later settled.

Haraty said she would call Goodwin every few weeks, but Goodwin rarely picked up.

Her cousin Shannon Suttles, who'd had a falling out with Goodwin, reached out around Christmas by texting her a picture of her baby son. Goodwin never acknowledged it.

On March 18, a responding firefighter found Goodwin naked and wet outside her smoking apartment, according to police reports. Jamaal was sitting inside against a wall, covered in lighter fluid and struggling to breathe through the hole in his throat. Erica was bleeding and abandoned on a neighbor's couch.

Goodwin, meanwhile, walked barefoot to the Salem police station and allegedly told officers she'd hurt her children to protect them. In her cell that night, she continuously repeated, "I'm sorry, my babies," according to a police report,

Six weeks later, Erica is living with her father and Jamaal is with family members, according to the state Department of Children and Families. Erica is laughing, talking and playing, said Makeda Haraty. She's more worried about Jamaal, who's old enough to remember that night.

Jamaal is able to talk and "doing very well," according to attorney Courtney Linnehan, who's representing Cox as he tries to regain custody of the boy.

Suttles, 26, thinks her cousin needs treatment more than just incarceration. That doesn't mean things will be right between them. "I don't think I could ever forgive that," she said.

Isis Haraty hopes to talk to Goodwin, to find out how she could do what she allegedly did.

Still, Haraty admits, "I'm afraid of the answer."

lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Posted July 19, 2012

Salem mom pleads not guilty to slashing kids

SALEM, Mass. (AP) -- The Salem woman charged with slashing the throats of her two children and setting fire to their apartment has been arraigned in Superior Court.
A not guilty plea was entered on behalf of 25-year-old Tanicia Goodwin on Tuesday to charges including armed assault with intent to murder and arson.
The Salem News reports that a judge also approved an order that will keep Goodwin at a psychiatric facility for at least another 30 days.
Prosecutors allege Goodwin slashed 8-year-old Jamaal and 3-year-old Erica inside their apartment in March then set it on fire with the boy inside. Both children are recovering.
Prosecutors also filed a motion seeking to have Goodwin held without bail as a dangerous person. Goodwin's attorneys asked the judge to impound documents supporting that motion.

lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Unreal!! I don't care what this cousin has to say. The woman is deranged! Now, she's plead Not Guilty but reeked of lighter fluid? GMAB!!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Tanicia Godwin, Accused Of Slashing Kids' Throats, Seeks To Suppress Evidence Against Her

Post by NiteSpinR on Tue May 27, 2014 11:36 pm

01/23/2014

A mother accused of slashing her two children's throats and lighting their Massachusetts home on fire will try an insanity defense in her upcoming trial.

Lawyers for Tanicia Goodwin have also filed motions to toss out evidence that would be used against her, including: Goodwin's clothing that was soaked with lighter fluid, samples of blood and lighter fluid that were taken from off her body, and statements that she made to police in which she repeatedly said "sorry," the Salem News reports.

The defense said on Tuesday that their expert has determined Goodwin wasn't mentally competent, but resisted requests from the prosecution to turn over that report now. At some point, the prosecution will gain access to that medical file and will have their own psychiatrist examine Goodwin.

The 28-year-old's attorneys allege that police did not immediately inform her of her Miranda rights and that she was not mentally competent at the time of the March 2011 attack.

Her then-3-year-old daughter and 8-year-old son survived, despite serious injuries.

A police sergeant has admitted that he didn't start off by reading Goodwin her rights, because he thought that an intruder might have attacked her and her children, the Salem News said.

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Trial Date Set For May 5th, 2014 Has Been Delayed

Post by NiteSpinR on Tue May 27, 2014 11:40 pm

March 7, 2014

he trial of a Salem woman charged with trying to murder her two young children, then setting fire to their Salem Heights apartment, will be delayed while prosecutors have their own forensic psychiatric expert evaluate Tanicia Goodwin, a judge ruled on Wednesday.

Goodwin, 28, is facing attempted murder and arson charges in connection with the March 2012 incident, in which she allegedly slashed the throats of her 8-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter, then set the apartment on fire. During their efforts to put out the fire, a firefighter became briefly trapped in the apartment, where Goodwin allegedly removed the doorknob and doused the room in lighter fluid.

Her trial, originally set for May 5, will be rescheduled.

During a hearing that started in January, lawyers for Goodwin confirmed their plans to rely on a defense that argues Goodwin was not criminally responsible for her actions that night. They cited the results of their own forensic evaluation of Goodwin.

But they did not immediately want to turn over the results.

On Wednesday, Lawrence Superior Court Judge Douglas Wilkins ordered the defense to provide access to the records and will allow the prosecution extra time to have its own expert meet with Goodwin and prepare a report.

Goodwin has been hospitalized for most of the time since her arrest, which came after she made a series of rambling statements about trying to “protect” her children. The defense is in the midst of a hearing in which they want Wilkins to bar those statements from being used at trial.

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum