Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parents of killed or missing kids to get income help

2 posters

Go down

Parents of killed or missing kids to get income help Empty Parents of killed or missing kids to get income help

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Parents of killed or missing kids to get income help Li-harper-620-02529541
Prime Minister Stephen Harper discusses the income support program for parents of victims of crime alongside Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu. (Jacques Boissinot/Canadian Press)

Parents with children who have died or disappeared as a result of a crime will be eligible to receive income support if they take time off work to cope with their loss, the federal government announced today.

Beginning on January 1, the new income support benefit will provide $350 per week for up to 35 weeks for parents of murdered or missing children who are younger than 18 years old, and whose death or disappearance is the result of a Criminal Code offence.

A child's disappearance would be considered a Criminal Code offence if police investigate it as a suspected crime.

"Often and understandably, parents are unable to return to work after their children disappear or are murdered," said Prime Minister Stephen Harper at a news conference in Sherbrooke, Que.

Harper announced the program alongside Human Resources and Skills Development Minister Diane Finley and Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu, who became a victim's rights activist after his own daughter was killed in 2002.

Jobs of mourning parents to get protection

To be eligible, parents will need to have earned a minimum income of $6,500 in the previous calendar year and take leave from employment. The government said it would also alter the Canada Labour Code to allow for unpaid leave for federally-regulated employees and ensure the person's job is protected while receiving the benefit.

If missing children are found, the benefits would continue for two weeks after the child is found, assuming the parents are still entitled to the benefits for those weeks.

The government says the benefit will help more than 1,000 parents annually, basing those numbers on a 2008 Statistics Canada crime survery. The total number of youth who were victims of homicide, other offences causing death, kidnapping and abduction was 1,229 in 2008, according to Statistics Canada.

Parents who receive the benefit that are later determined to be criminally responsible for the death or disappearance would have to repay the benefit, a spokesperson for Human Resources and Skills Development Canada said.

Parents will apply for the benefit through Service Canada.

The program follows on a campaign promise to provide support for parents of child victims of crime. That same campaign promise also included families of gravely ill children as potential recipients of benefits, but Friday's announcement made no mention of those families.

"That was a platform commitment and we are reviewing legislation," said a spokesperson for HRSDC.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Parents of killed or missing kids to get income help Empty Re: Parents of killed or missing kids to get income help

Post by Wrapitup Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:48 pm

GO CANADA!!! This is an Excellent commitment Canada has made and should be world-wide!!

Thanks for the article, SixxChick!!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Parents of killed or missing kids to get income help Empty Re: Parents of killed or missing kids to get income help

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:53 pm

I absolutely agree! Let's face it...your kid goes missing and you are supposed to go to work like 'la ti da - nothing else matters'? I don't think so. There are people that have lost everything looking for their missing kids, spouse, etc. This is at least something that can help. It should absolutely be world-wide!

IMHO
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Parents who receive the benefit that are later determined to be criminally responsible for the death or disappearance would have to repay the benefit, a spokesperson for Human Resources and Skills Development Canada said.

How will they pay it back when they are in prison? Don't mean to sound cynical, but wonder how many parents are scumbag enough to "disappear" their child in order to get this free money...Casey Anthony and Lisa Irwin's parents come to mind, along with many others that we discuss on here. I think it is a good thing for parents where it is definitely clear that the parents had nothing to do with the disappearance or death.
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 pm

agreed
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:58 am

There are loopholes with everything. I can only hope that if some sicko parent that has killed their child and gotten this money will also be charged with fraud. I think that the parents should have to be cleared as a suspect first. The spirit of this is good though.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:58 am

FTR - I do see what you are saying.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:33 am

lisette wrote:

How will they pay it back when they are in prison? Don't mean to sound cynical, but wonder how many parents are scumbag enough to "disappear" their child in order to get this free money...Casey Anthony and Lisa Irwin's parents come to mind, along with many others that we discuss on here. I think it is a good thing for parents where it is definitely clear that the parents had nothing to do with the disappearance or death.

This is what I love most about blogging here at VH. What 1 does not think of the other 1 does. Very good point lisette.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 am

I agree, LM. Lisette brought up a very good point.

I would think, as SixxChick said, the parents would be completely cleared (unlike the Irwin's, Ayla's father, Shockley's mother and on and on and on) before they are awarded the reward money. I think of people like the Kesse's or Beth Holloway or Summer Thompson's mother who fought tooth and nail and continue to do so to get justice for their missing or dead child.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down