Jane Bashara murdered by Joe Gentz, alleges her husband was involved/Bashara arrested & arraigned on chges of solicitation to murder/Gentz pleads GUILTY to 2nd degree murder/Bashara sentenced to life: 'May Jane now truly rest in peace'

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Re: Jane Bashara murdered by Joe Gentz, alleges her husband was involved/Bashara arrested & arraigned on chges of solicitation to murder/Gentz pleads GUILTY to 2nd degree murder/Bashara sentenced to life: 'May Jane now truly rest in peace'

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:25 am

That may be the only place you are safe!

JK....not banning you here.

BTW, Val has started a website. If you go back, I sure hope we don't lose you. You're quite interesting..sandbox and all.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Jane Bashara murdered by Joe Gentz, alleges her husband was involved/Bashara arrested & arraigned on chges of solicitation to murder/Gentz pleads GUILTY to 2nd degree murder/Bashara sentenced to life: 'May Jane now truly rest in peace'

Post by Darkman on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:33 am

If you ban me .. i will come back as Registered Guest with Proxy ... that's all .. LOL

Thanks .. i ll check out Val :)

Wordpress is free thingy i think.....

She was mentioning at RC refugee thread (and at Nicey's blog) that she might open some Read-only thingy where she would put everything from THMeter as read only..

Anyhow thanks.. i ll go click on it :)
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:00 am

Went there.. and also left a comment (lol, wonder if it gets approved)

Wonder if her new site will be Read-ONLY as she was saying before .. or a site where one can post etc (as any other site / forum)
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:35 am

Darkman wrote:Went there.. and also left a comment (lol, wonder if it gets approved)
Nope ... My comment didn't make it :)

"Will be visible after Moderation" .. or something like that.... but now totally gone...... - DID NOT make it :)

Oh well, at least Val is consistent confused

Wrapitup wrote:
BTW, Val has started a website. If you go back, I sure hope we don't lose you. You're quite interesting..sandbox and all.
Keep me posted please on new happenings there... --- as i just closed her Tab in my browser (enough of them open anyhow, .. so -- one less :)))))

If anything new ... like she starts a site or something like that - let me know...
Otherwise .. no need for me to read her personal problems ... when she doesn't even approve my "Welcome back, Val" post :)
We, surely, are not best friends :)
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:59 am

I read what you wrote as I asked to be emailed when someone responds. Yet, when I went to her link, your comment wasn't there. I don't get it. Why wouldn't she allow it?

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Darkman Today at 1:33

If you ban me .. i will come back as Registered Guest with Proxy ... that's all .. LOL
Would that be in the same sandbox or would you hop into another? chug

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:39 pm

I meant as Unregistered Guest, sorry .. LOL

We were talking "here" .. so i would come back here :)
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Ya, am sure lot's of peeps would do that but I am not one to ban much unless someone continues to be blatantly out of line.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:30 pm

At all those forums where they banned me (only 3 anyhow, Hinky and two "Hinky refugee" - one that i helped to bring those refugees over, and the other one run by "tried an convicted scammer") .. I didn't do "jack", lol

Was just being myself .. didn't kiss a$$ and, maybe, didn't sing the "oh! so popular" song that most others were singing (bash, bash, bash, speculate, speculate, speculate .. page after page) ...

You see me here, and that's how i am .. - mostly simply mind my business... find and post new articles / new finds etc... that's it :)

Check out me "go" over here, lol, not long ago:

i mentioned "tried and convicted scammer" there as well :)

maybe read sooner than later .. in case it gets deleted :)

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Our thread is sure not as exciting as some of the others regarding this case. I am so glad to see someone at the Detroit site finally call it right on a thread. Darkman if your are not part of their "click" or disagree with one of them you are banned. confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Snipped from:

But unlike most of "you" (you-like(s)) who frequent jack and those Crime forums, knows it all ... etc etc .. -- When Bashara case is DONE ... - I will be DONE also .. and will be for you "NO more Darkman", the "scape goat", to b*tch at, lol (Sure hope you won't "be DONE" at VH!)

So stay in your sandboxes .. and make some nice sand figurines in them ( and i will make mine at mine ) ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO .. and lay off me .. thankfully this is not the forum where you are in charge or one of the "bashers" or their "buds"....

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:34 pm

Darkman if your are not part of their "click" or disagree with one of them you are banned.
That is beyond ridiculous!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:23 am

The Bashara case at a glance
July 8, 2012

Here is a time line of events in the slaying of Jane Bashara of Grosse Pointe Park.

Jan. 24: Bob Bashara reports his wife, Jane Bashara, missing.

Jan. 25: A tow truck driver finds Jane Bashara's body in her SUV on Detroit's east side. She was strangled.

Jan. 27: Police call Bob Bashara a person of interest in his wife's death after he fails a polygraph examination. Jan. 31: Joseph Gentz walks into the Grosse Pointe Park Department of Public Safety, where, during an interview with police, he says he killed Jane Bashara at her husband's behest.

Feb. 3: Gentz is released from custody without being charged.

Feb. 4: Bob Bashara tells reporters: "I did not kill my wife."

March 2: Gentz is arrested.

March 5: Gentz is arraigned on first-degree murder and conspiracy charges.

March 9: The Free Press reports that the clothing Jane Bashara was wearing when her body was found never made it to the State Police crime lab for testing. Police say that day that some clothing was sent, but State Police officials stand by their statement that clothing she was wearing was never received for testing.

April 26: Rachel Gillett, Bashara's former mistress, files a personal protection order, saying he had harassed her.

May 9: In a court filing, Bashara denies stalking Gillett.

June 11: A court-ordered psychiatric evaluation finds Gentz competent to stand trial. Attorneys for both sides indicate he will undergo a second, independent evaluation before plea bargaining begins.

June 25: Bashara is arrested and is accused of attempting to have Gentz killed.

June 27: Bashara is arraigned on a charge of solicitation for murder.

-----------

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 am

New charges in Bob Bashara case a gift to prosecutors

July 8, 2012

By Joe Swickard and Gina Damron
Detroit Free Press Staff Writers

Joseph Gentz said Bob Bashara, above, had him kill his wife. Now, Bashara is accused of putting a hit out on Gentz. / Brian Kaufman/Detroit Free Press

Bob Bashara's alleged scheme to put a hit out on Joseph Gentz could be a huge evidentiary hammer for prosecutors trying to nail him for the January slaying of his wife, according to trial attorneys and other legal experts.

For more than five months, Bashara has been labeled a person of interest but was never charged in his wife's death. Legal experts say it's a difficult case marred by problems such as Gentz's reliability as a witness and the fact that articles of Jane Bashara's clothing were never analyzed for evidence.

But Bashara's arrest on a charge of attempting to have Gentz killed could be a legal game-changer in his wife's slaying, experts say.

If prosecutors charge Bashara with killing his 56-year-old wife, experts say, they'll be able to introduce any evidence in that case that shows Bashara tried to have Gentz killed.

Wayne County prosecutors aren't saying what their next move may be, but they have said Bashara tried to have Gentz killed to prevent him from testifying.

It's unclear how damning that testimony could be. Gentz told authorities he killed Jane Bashara at her husband's behest, but he could be vulnerable to cross-examination because of his mental and intellectual challenges, not to mention the multiple accounts he gave to police about what happened.

Bashara's arrest last month on a charge of solicitation to murder Gentz was just the latest whipsaw move in a case that has seen Bashara's image go from respected Grosse Pointe Park community volunteer to scorned outcast who has been heckled, kicked out of a church fund-raiser and asked not to patronize a popular restaurant because his presence was bad for business, residents and his attorney say.

"This case is like a Dickens novel without the London fog," said University of Michigan law professor Len Niehoff, who noted that the alleged hit on Gentz could be used against Bashara if he is charged with his wife's murder.

The second purported murder-for-hire plot may have other potential implications, experts say.

Among the possible scenarios: Prosecutors might not need to cut a deal with Gentz to testify anymore, and could put the potential murder charge on hold while they go after Bashara on the solicitation charge, which carries a possible life sentence.

Bashara's lawyer David Griem said the strange twists keep coming: "Just when you think it can't get any more absurd, something like this comes along."

Bad news for Gentz
Unlike Hollywood courtrooms, Michigan criminal cases don't automatically collapse if a witness turns up missing or dead.

The attempt to get at a witness can be used as evidence against a defendant, just as trying to flee police can be used to show what the law calls the "consciousness of guilt," Niehoff said.

Prosecutors could try to get details of the alleged hit on Gentz admitted in a case against Bashara in his wife's slaying as a "similar act." It could show common characteristics between the alleged hit on Gentz and the alleged hit on Jane Bashara.

The prosecution and Gentz's lawyer won't go into details, but it is widely believed that Gentz would testify against Bashara.

Gentz's lawyer Susan Reed wouldn't talk about any negotiations, but said it's highly unlikely Gentz and Bashara would sit together as co-defendants.

"Don't you think that would be a little antagonistic?" she said.

Maria Miller, spokeswoman for the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office, also declined to comment, citing the ongoing investigation into Jane Bashara's death and the Gentz and Bashara cases.

However, in charging Bashara with solicitation, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said Bashara sought a hit man in an attempt to quiet Gentz from testifying against him.

Bashara, who was arrested June 25, is accused of paying a man -- who wore a wire so authorities could record their conversations -- to orchestrate Gentz's murder in the William Dickerson Detention Facility in Hamtramck.

It remains to be seen how realistic the threat against Gentz was, given that access is limited because he is not in the general jail population.

Gentz is being held on murder and conspiracy charges and has already been found mentally competent for trial by a state psychological examination. Results from an independent evaluation are to be presented at a July 23 hearing in Detroit 36th District Court.

Todd Flood, a defense lawyer and former assistant Wayne County prosecutor, said the alleged plot against Gentz changes the dynamic of the murder case.

"Before, it would have been all about Joe and his credibility if he testified against Bashara," he said. "Now, prosecutors may not need him."

Griem said the prospect of Gentz being unnecessary to prosecutors "makes Susan Reed and Joe the two saddest people in town," because they've lost a lot of their leverage for a plea bargain.

Flood and other attorneys said the murder cases could take a backseat to the solicitation charge. The solicitation could be easier to prove, and a delay wouldn't harm the murder case because there is no statute of limitation, they said.

The outcast
The community dynamics also have changed.

Before his wife was killed Jan. 24, Bob Bashara appeared to be an exemplary resident of the swank lakefront suburb of Grosse Pointe Park.

The 54-year-old, who grew up in the area, was once the Rotary Club president, served as an assistant Boy Scout troop leader, was on multiple parent-teacher organization committees and was a prolific fund-raiser.

That quickly changed when word got out about Gentz's claims that he was Bashara's hit man, tales of an underground sex life and the recent purported murder plot.

"Nothing is the same or can be the same in his life as a result of all that's gone on here," Grosse Pointe Park Mayor Pro Tem Greg Theokas said.

Bashara was still spotted all over town after his wife's death -- driving, attending sporting events, including a swim meet, taking in a movie at a city theater, dining and playing cards at local restaurants.

But despite his attempts to blend in, Bashara became an outcast.

"Being ostracized is about as harsh a penalty as someone can impose on you," Griem said.

Bashara and his mother attended St. Michael's Episcopal Church in Grosse Pointe Woods, but Griem said the reception at church seemed chilly.

"There's a strong feeling that they're not welcome there," he said.

Bashara got the cold shoulder all over, according to news media reports and chatter at Pointers' backyard barbeques and cocktail parties, where "Bob sightings" were shared and dissected.

Bashara was asked to leave the annual St. Joan of Arc Spring Festival in St. Clair Shores in May after offering to volunteer, according to news accounts. The news accounts said Msgr. G. Michael Bugarin asked Bashara to leave, but Bugarin declined to discuss it Tuesday.

"Everything I've needed to say, I've already said," he said.

Residents also say Bashara was spotted at the movie theater at Windmill Pointe Park, where he was reportedly heckled, and at local sporting events, including a swim meet at the park.

Griem said Bashara was asked not to return as a customer to Dylan's Raw Bar & Grill -- one of his tenants in a property he owns on Mack Avenue.

"The bar owner felt that it hurt their business to have him be seen there," Griem said. The owner declined to comment when reached Friday.

Sunrise Sunset Saloon manager Maureen Moore said she waited on Bashara and his former girlfriend at the bar on Charlevoix before Jane Bashara's death. It was the same woman said to be his partner in a kinky sex dungeon in the basement of one of his commercial buildings.

In the days following his wife's murder, Bob Bashara sometimes played euchre at Sunrise Sunset, but he eventually stopped going because his presence unnerved other patrons, Moore said.

Griem said he had told his client to keep a normal routine. He said Bashara's public appearances were understandable.

"In a situation where I believed I was being unfairly treated and felt that I was being bullied, I think I would react the same way," he said. "I think if I ... just withdrew and stayed away, I would have a hard time looking at myself in the mirror when I shaved in the morning."

Can he get a fair trial?
The public behavior may have been bravado.

Prosecutors said Bashara was growing anxious about Gentz some day testifying against him and went looking for someone to put a hit out on Gentz.

Bashara is accused of approaching a local business owner -- a man who has not returned several messages left by the Free Press -- about the murder plot. Sources have said the man wore a wire and authorities taped their conversation, which purportedly included negotiating the price.

The man approached by Bashara reportedly owns a furniture and appliance store on Detroit's east side and, according to Wayne County Property tax records, several other properties.

Griem said Bashara, who owns several properties, has long had business dealings with the man and purchased appliances from him for his rentals.

Sources told the Free Press that Bashara thought the man, who he gave a $2,000 down payment, had the means to orchestrate a hit-for-hire plot, possibly because of his associations.

Given that the case is high profile and because of information that has leaked out, Griem questions whether Bashara can receive a fair trial.

Griem said his client believes "the truth will be triumphant," but Griem worries that leaks have tainted the jury pool.

"We could have God come down and sit at the defense table, and we still couldn't win," Griem said. "I think that it's winnable if everybody in that jury box puts on blinders and only concentrates on the evidence that is admitted during the course of a trial, but how do we erase all of the damage that was done?"

Contact Joe Swickard: 313-222-8769 or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Contact Gina Damron: 313-223-4526 or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

More Details: What's next

July 23: Joseph Gentz is scheduled for a hearing where the results of an independent evaluation of his mental competence will be presented. He is being held in the William Dickerson Detention Facility in Hamtramck on murder and solicitation charges.

July 24: Bob Bashara, who is being held in the Wayne County Jail, is scheduled for his preliminary exam on a charge of solicitation to murder.

-----------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:44 am

Wow. I had no idea about Jane's cloths not being sent in for testing! That could hurt the prosecution in the end. The hearings that are coming up soon should be interesting. Thanks for the post darkman. I learn some thing new about this case every day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:21 am

July 9, 2012 at 1:00 am
Jane Bashara remembered as friend, volunteer, community booster

'Whatever she put her heart in, she put her full heart in'

By Francis X. Donnelly
The Detroit News

A month before she was killed, Jane Bashara was shopping in a drugstore when another customer tried to make a purchase with a welfare debit card. The sale didn't go through so Bashara, who didn't know the man, told the clerk to add his items to her bill, said the clerk, Debora Price. Typical Jane, said her friends.

If someone needed help, she didn't hesitate, they said. She was a whirlwind who threw herself into whatever she was doing — work, community service, raising a family or helping others.

A fixture in the Grosse Pointes, she invariably was the one in charge of a community project, bursting with ideas, happily encouraging cohorts with a constant smile.

"She was one of those people who could do it all," said Lori Bireta, 56, a longtime friend from Davison.

Bashara, a 56-year-old mother of two, was strangled in January. Two months later, handyman Joe Gentz was arrested after telling police he killed Bashara at her husband's behest.

In a bizarre twist in late June, husband Bob Bashara was charged with trying to hire someone to kill Gentz.

Expressing shock over the arrest of her husband, friends and family of Jane Bashara also talked about their memories of a woman who was so active she didn't belong to just one book club but three.

Whether making a new resident feel welcome or leading a campaign to retain a school millage, she leaped into the task.

"She fit a lot into every day," said a sister, Janet Gottsleben, 55, of Clinton Township. "Her calendars were full."

People had been drawn to Bashara her whole life, said friends.

Her smile never seemed to wane. When talking to someone, she was so immersed in what they were saying that she made them feel like the most important person in the world.

It's telling that, during interviews and comments on blogs since Bashara's death, several people labeled themselves her best friend.

They clicked right away

When Bashara was a student at Central Michigan University in the 1970s, one of her girlfriends received a prank call from a boy in the middle of the night. The girlfriend and boy began talking, hit it off and agreed to meet the next day.

Bashara was so worried about her friend meeting a stranger that, during the get-together, she hid around a corner in the dorm lounge. The friend, Ruann Marshall, who eventually married the boy, didn't know Bashara was watching over her until she told her later. "Whatever she did she embraced fully," said Marshall, 56, of Chesterfield Township. "Whatever she put her heart in she put her full heart in."

Bashara, a good student and athlete, studied business administration at Central Michigan and then University of Detroit Mercy. Around the time she received her master's from Detroit Mercy in 1983, she met Bob Bashara.

The two clicked right away, Bob Bashara told "Dateline NBC" in May. He said he was attracted to her openness.

"She was outgoing, a go-getter," he said. "I just was attracted to her from the beginning."

For her part, she liked his affable nature and that he never was at a loss for words, said friends.

They were married within two years. Friends said they believed the 26-year marriage was a happy one. They were shocked by news reports, later confirmed by Bob Bashara, that he had a mistress.

He told a reporter that the couple had an open marriage, but his wife's siblings contested the point. They said in a statement that they doubted Jane Bashara would have stayed in such a marriage.

Most relatives, on both sides of the family, declined to be interviewed for this story.

In a recent court filing by the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office, Bob Bashara has been named a suspect in his wife's death. He has said repeatedly he had nothing to do with it.

A popular boss

One of the jobs Jane Bashara had while working for DTE Energy for 24 years was managing a 350-person call center.

She was a popular boss, said workers. They described her as personable, encouraging and generous with her time and praise.

After her death, testimonials from former employees filled a tribute page on a funeral home website.

"Jane always had a kind and encouraging word for everyone," wrote Peggy Willockx of Troy.

"She was so energetic buzzing around with a giant smile," wrote Rena Austin of Harper Woods.

She worked as hard in the community as on the job. At St. Michael's Episcopal Church, she was involved with the youth group. In the Grosse Pointe Park Little League, she and her husband started a concession stand in the late '90s that remains a major fundraiser today.

At Grosse Pointe South High School, she was an athletic booster, president of the band and athletic boosters, and head of the Mothers' Club, a parents group that raises money for scholarships and classroom expenses. During school events, she made sure volunteers felt appreciated. She circulated among them, asking about their children by name.

"She always had time for other people," said one of the volunteers, Jim Triano. "You liked volunteering because she was part of it."

If not working for the community, Jane Bashara was helping people individually.

When Triano's son wanted to transfer to Purdue University, Triano called Bashara because her son was a student there.

She spent hours telling the Trianos everything she knew about the school and walking them through the application process.

When the son was accepted, Bashara told him what he should do when he arrived on campus, what he should bring and places where he could live.

"It was like having a big brother," said Triano, 63, of Grosse Pointe Park. "She wanted him to know all the ins and outs." Even more remarkable, he said, was the fact that Bashara did all this for a casual acquaintance. "I might do that for my very best friend. We were someone she just knew," he said.

"But that's the way she was with everyone."

(313) 223-4186

--------------------------------

From The Detroit News: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:14 am

That was a really good article. Thanks for posting it. I am blown away how a woman like Jane would be married to someone like Bob.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:43 am

Jane Bashara: Her Smile And Generosity Never Seemed To Wane

July 9th, 2012, 7:02 AM

Jane Bashara's smile never seemed to wane.

Either did her generosity, Francis X. Donnelly of the Detroit News reports in a profile of Bashara, a woman who became a local household name after she was murdered and her husband Bob was named as a person of interest.

In one anecdote, the News reported that a month before her murder in January, Jane Bashara was at a drug store. When a person tried to charge something with a welfare credit card, and the sale didn't go through, she told the clerk that she'd pay for it.

Her husband has not been charged in her murder, but is locked up in the Wayne County Jail on charges that he tried to put a hit out on handyman Joe Gentz. Gentz claimed he killed Jane Bashara at the direction of her husband.

Free Press reporter Joe Swickard reported on Sunday that the alleged hit on Gentz could help authorities build a case against Bob Bashara in the murder of his wife.

-----

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Darkman wrote:
Darkman wrote:Went there.. and also left a comment (lol, wonder if it gets approved)
Nope ... My comment didn't make it :)

"Will be visible after Moderation" .. or something like that.... but now totally gone...... - DID NOT make it :)

Oh well, at least Val is consistent confused
Guess what .... went back to Val's page .. and see that my comment IS approved now, lol :)

You can check it there...

I think, at the time, her something wasn't working on her end there.. and she wasn't approving all the comments promptly.... Other comments also, not just mine.

But eventually they got approved, including mine :)
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Firstly, she would have to create a site / a forum for them to go..... :)

Cuz from what she was saying not so long ago.. she was going to find some inexpensive site ..and place everything from Hinky there as a Read-ONLY

But .. No mention about a forum .. where people can post new stuff / new cases etc (as they did before)

Time will show, i guess
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:41 pm

Joe Gentz ruled competent to stand trial in Bashara case, paving way for deal talks

7:00 PM, July 9, 2012

By Joe Swickard
Free Press Staff Writer

A court-sanction independent evaluation found Joe Gentz, who told police he was hired by Bob Bashara to kill Bashara's wife, mentally competent to stand trial, defense attorney Susan Reed said today.

The finding echoes the results made by doctors at the state forensic center and clears the path for Reed to talk with prosecutors about a possible deal for Gentz.

Reed had refused to publicly discuss any possible deals as long as Gentz’s mental status — he has a reported IQ of 68 and emotional issues — was open to question.

“It was an issue that had to be put to rest,” Reed said. “That had to be answered before you can legitimately and legally start negotiations.”

Bob Bashara’s lawyer David Griem, who had long predicted Gentz would be lined up with prosecutors, feigned surprise.

“What shock,” Griem said.

“This whole thing has been a charade,” he said. “Those negotiations started months ago. I guess this is just some dramatic license for some lawyers.”

Griem said the two evaluations were choreographed and are the latest manifestation of the “unholy alliance” of Reed and prosecutors: “It’s all part of a long list of abuses starting with the investigative subpoenas and all the police leaks.”

Griem and Reed have been at odds for most of the investigation. She has asked for Griem to be held in contempt of court for issuing unauthorized subpoenas to gather evidence about her client.

Maria Miller, spokeswoman for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s office, declined comment but said the office’s attorneys will be in Detroit 36th District on Wednesday afternoon.

Gentz told Grosse Pointe Park police soon after Jane Bashara’s body was found Jan. 25 in her Mercedes Benz SUV ditched in an eastside Detroit alley that he killed the marketing executive at her husband’s direction. He gave varying accounts of the killing, including saying he crushed Jane Barasha neck with his foot because Bob Bashara had him at gunpoint.

A mentally incompetent witness would be of no value in a trial. Griem said Gentz’s worth as a witness has plummeted since his client was arrested for allegedly trying to hire a hit man to kill Gentz in jail.

Bashara has not been charged in connection with his wife’s slaying. He faces a possible life sentence for the alleged solicitation.

-----------

Last edited by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Bob Bashara: The library and the ladies

Author: Hank Winchester, Local 4 Reporter
Published On: Jul 09 2012 07:45:26 PM EDT

-- Bob Bashara was arraigned June 27 on charges he tried to have a suspect in his wife's murder killed.

---- TEXT & VIDEO (2:57) ----

They are women who allegedly helped Bob Bashara explore his interest in S & M - former mistresses and who knew Bashara as Master Bob.

"Until I heard about the murder of Jane Bashara, I had never known Bob’s last name. Then the husband got on and I knew right away that was Master Bob."

Now these women have become part of the ongoing police investigation into the murder of Bashara’s wife Jane. Their wild stories are helping police lean more about Bashara.

"He just simply explained to us that he lived in the Pointes and that he does have a fully outfitted dungeon."

The Local 4 Defenders have learned Bashara reached out to these women several times recently via email. Even though their identities were concealed Bashara tracked them down and within the last two months was sending emails working to figure out who was talking with the media and what were these women telling police.

All this played out around the same time police say Bashara was allegedly working to find a hitman to kill handyman Joe Gentz. Those meetings took place behind a building he owed in Grosse Pointe Park. The emails, we're told, were sent from inside a local library.

-------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:11 pm

This is one sick f**k!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Joe Gentz found competent to stand trial in murder of Jane Bashara

Posted: 9:32 PM

(WXYZ) - Sources are telling 7 Action News that Joe Gentz has been found mentally competent to stand trial for the murder of Jane Bashara.

---------

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Didn't doubt that for a second!! It sure seems like these peeps are all wanting the insanity defense.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 am

Joe Gentz found competent to stand trial

Experts say a plea deal could be next

Published On: Jul 09 2012 11:56:22 PM EDT Updated On: Jul 09 2012 11:56:49 PM EDT

---- TEXT & VIDEO (2:17) ----

A big development in the mystery surrounding the murder of Grosse Pointe mom Jane Bashara, a new ruling says her husband’s handyman is able to stand trial for her murder.

A court ordered evaluation says handyman Joe Gentz is competent to stand trial.

According to Bashara’s attorney David Griem, there is no surprise that Gentz is competent to stand trial.

“The bottom line there is this unholy alliance between the prosecutor and Joe Gentz’s attorney. They’ve been negotiating for three or four months,” said Griem.

If a deal is reached and Gentz testifies against Bob Bashara, Bashara he will face two trials, one trial for his wife’s murder and the other for supposedly hiring a hit man to kill Gentz in jail.

According to Defense Attorney Todd Flood, with competency out of the way, if a deal is going to happen, it will happen fast.

“If they’re contemplating a plea deal this definitely triggers the event to happen for a plea,” said Flood.

--------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:49 am

Bob Bashara: The library and the ladies

Published On: Jul 09 2012 07:45:26 PM EDT

-- Bob Bashara was arraigned June 27 on charges he tried to have a suspect in his wife's murder killed.

---- TEXT & VIDEO (2:57) ----

They are women who allegedly helped Bob Bashara explore his interest in S & M - former mistresses and who knew Bashara as Master Bob...
Speaking a little of S&M....

What would Christian Grey of '50 Shades' look like?

(I tell you ... Christian Grey, that "makes all those women run to book stores", would look nothing like Bobby aka Master Bob, lol)

Published On: Jul 10 2012 08:18:28 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 10 2012 08:34:03 AM EDT

The first sketch of what could be the face of Christian Grey - the fantasy inducing character from "50 Shades of Grey-" has been revealed.

---- VIDEO (1:45) ----

-------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:57 am

July 10, 2012 at 9:37 am

Lawyer: Gentz competent to stand trial

------------

Read at the source from The Detroit News: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:05 am

With Joe Gentz Declared Competent, Is Bob Bashara In Bigger Trouble?

July 10th, 2012, 1:11 AM

Joe Gentz, the mentally challenged handyman who told authorities he killed Jane Bashara at the behest of her husband Bob, is competent to stand trial, the Detroit Free Press reported. That could mean bigger trouble for big Bob.

Reporter Swickard of the Free Press reported that a court-sanction independent evaluation came to that conclusion, opening the gate for Gentz to crack a deal with authorities in lieu of going to trial. He cited Gentz's attorney Susan Reed.

The competency ruling will not only help Gentz potentially land a plea, but give the prosecution more ammunition if it decides to charge Bashara and have Gentz testify against him....

--------

More at the Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:19 am

Joe Gentz Found Competent To Stand Trial On Murder Charges

July 10, 2012 7:44 AM

GROSSE POINTE (WWJ) - The former handyman of a Grosse Pointe Park woman has been found competent to stand trial for her brutal murder.

A court-sanction independent evaluation found Joe Gentz – who reportedly told police he was hired by Bob Bashara to kill his wife, Jane – mentally competent to stand trial. That supports earlier findings by doctors doing forensics work in the case.

“Competence to stand trial means you understand the proceedings against you and that you can help assist your attorney. It’s not that you’re a Rhodes scholar, it’s just that you understand where you are,” said WWJ legal analyst and Talk Radio 1270 morning show host Charlie Langton.

Langton said the findings allow Gentz’s lawyers to speak with prosecutors about making a possible deal.

“Joe Gentz could be looking at a possible plea bargain, but what’s really going on here is that the prosecutors want to make sure that Joe Gentz is competent to testify because they, the prosecutors, need a good witness, a legitimate witness, to testify that it was in face Bob Bashara who ordered this killing,” said Langton.

Gentz, who reportedly has an IQ below 70, was charged in March with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder in the strangulation death of Jane Bashara.

The body of the 56-year-old marketing executive and mother of two was found in her Mercedes-Benz SUV parked in an alley at Pinewood and Annott in Detroit on Jan. 25. Her husband reported her missing the night before. An autopsy showed that she had extensive bruising to her upper body, a crushed windpipe and missing fingernails.

Bob Bashara isn’t charged with his wife’s murder, but he is charged with trying to hire a hitman to kill Gentz in jail. Prosecutors say Bob Bashara allegedly offered to pay more than one person to kill Gentz while he awaits trial in Wayne County Jail. He remains jailed on a $15 million bond.

“The idea here is that normally people want to hire hitmen to kill important people and the allegation is that now, Bashara hired a hitman to kill Gentz. Why would Bob Bashara want to hire someone who means nothing? In reality now, Joe Gentz is a very key witness, and that’s what that hitman charge is all about,” said Langton.

Bob Bashara, who was named a person of interest early on in the investigation, has maintained his innocence and denied any involvement in his wife’s death.

What, if anything, could the latest developments mean for Bob Bashara? Speaking live on WWJ Newsradio 950, his attorney David Griem described it as a three-month charade.

“There have been negotiations going on between Joe Gentz’s attorney and the prosecution for that entire period of time. I don’t think there has ever been a case, that I’m aware of, where the prosecution has stipulated to a second forensic examination done by an independent psychiatrist,” said Griem.

Griem said he now expects for Bob Bashara to be charged with his wife’s murder.

“I’ve been expecting that for some time. Again, I think the competency examination was just a charade to buy time. As far as timing goes, I’ve got no control over that. But we know it’s coming, it’s just a question of when,” said Griem.

----------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:52 am

Gentz deemed Competent

July 10, 2012

---- AUDIO (Charlie Langton Podcast, 7:09) ----

Charlie asks Bob Bashara's attorney David Greim how handy-man Joe Gentz's competency ruling will affect the case against Bashara.

----

Listen at the Source (Click)
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:49 am

Gentz Found Competent for Trial

By Kila Peeples

July 10, 2012
Updated Jul 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM EDT

Detroit, Mi (My TV20 News at 10) -- According to attorney Susan Reed, Joe Gentz has been found mentally sound to stand trial for th January strangulation murder of Jane Bashara. Charged with 1st degree murder and conspiracy, Gentz will most likely be able to negotiate a plea deal.

Gentz has stood firm in saying he was hired by Jane's husband, Bob to excute the murder. "Big Bob" Bashara is now in jail charged with allegedly attempting to hire someone to kill Gentz in jail. Gentz will be in court again tomorrow afternoon...

--------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Bob Bashara's attorney loses bid to block 'overaggressive' subpoenas

12:12 PM, July 10, 2012

Bob Bashara’s attorney David Griem lost his bid today to rein in the Wayne County Prosecutor’s use of investigative subpoenas.

In a terse one-line order, the Michigan Court of Appeals denied Griem’s request for an order of superintending control.

The detail of request to the appellate court was sealed when he filed it last month, but Griem had railed against what called overaggressive use of the subpoenas that require witness to talk with prosecutors. He characterized the prosecutor’s office as being “out of control” in their efforts to gather evidence that Bashara was behind the murder of his wife Jane in January.

PDF: Michigan Court of Appeals order denying Bashara attorney's request

or view it here: (click on Spoiler below)

Spoiler:

In a request for superintending controls, a higher court is asked to intercede because a lower court has failed to perform a clear legal duty.

Griem could not be reached for immediate comment this morning and the prosecutor’s office issued a statement that the sealing of the motion prohibited any discussion of the motion’s contents.

Bashara has not been charged in connection with his wife’s death, but was arrested last month for trying to get a hit man to kill Joe Gentz in the Wayne County Jail where he’s held on murder charges. Gentz told police he killed Jane Bashara at her husband’s behest.

A hearing on Gentz’s mental competency to stand trial is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon in Detroit 36th District Court. If he is found competent, it would enable his lawyer Susan Reed to open the door for negotiations with prosecutors.

----------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Motion in Bashara Case Denied by Court of Appeals

The Michigan Court of Appeals denied a Motion for Superintending Control filed by Bob Bashara's attorney David Griem.

By Edward Cardenas, the author, 12:48 pm

The Michigan Court of Appeals denied a motion filed by Bob Bashara's attorney David Griem.

The motion for superintending control was filed by Robert Bashara's attorney David Griem on June 27, according to a release from the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office.

The motion was placed under seal by the court and the parties are precluded from discussing the substance of the motion, according to the release from Maria Miller, spokeswoman for the office.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Griem had asked the Michigan Court of Appeals to stop the prosecutors' use of investigative subpoenas.

------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:24 pm

July 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Competency hearing set for Wednesday in Gentz case

By Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News

Detroit— A competency hearing is expected Wednesday for the handyman charged in the strangulation death of a Grosse Pointe Park woman, days after his attorney revealed that an independent mental review deemed him competent to stand trial.

Wayne County prosecutors Tuesday said Assistant Prosecutor Lisa Lindsay will appear before 36th District Court Chief Judge Kenneth King at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday to discuss competency findings for Joseph Gentz.

The St. Clair Shores man is charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy in the January death of Jane Bashara. Gentz's attorney, Susan Reed, on Monday confirmed the finding of a court-sanctioned independent evaluation. She could not be immediately reached by The News on Tuesday.

Gentz was previously determined competent to stand trial by doctors at the state forensic center.

He is charged in the death of Jane Bashara, whose body was found Jan. 25 inside her Mercedes-Benz in Detroit.

Gentz did odd jobs for Jane Bashara's husband. Bob Bashara is not charged in his wife's death, but does face charges that he tried to hire a hit man to kill Gentz in jail. Police sources have said Bashara made a deal to pay Gentz $2,000 and give him a used Cadillac in exchange for Jane Bashara's killing.

His lawyer, David Griem, denies those charges. Griem could not be immediately reached Tuesday.

Bashara was arraigned in June on charges of solicitation of murder on claims he paid one man and attempted to pay another to kill Gentz, who is in jail awaiting trial.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy has said "investigative sources" say Bashara wanted Gentz killed in jail because he didn't want him to testify.

Lindsey previously hinted about the possibility of a plea bargain for Gentz and said in court that Reed wanted the independent evaluation before entering into negotiations.

Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office, said Tuesday that there is no comment from prosecutors regarding plea negotiations.

Gentz is being held at the Dickerson Detention Facility in Hamtramck.

Macomb County Circuit Court records say Gentz has an IQ of 67 and was previously diagnosed with bipolar and organic mood disorder.

Bashara is due in 36th District Court for a preliminary examination in his case on July 24.

(313) 222-2069

------------------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Michigan Court of Appeals denied a motion filed by Bob Bashara's attorney David Griem.
Well at least it was denied even though we don't know WTH it was lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:14 pm

BTW .. our "buddy" J4A ... taking the articles that i "put out" .. and then posts them in Jane Bashara thread at RC :)

It was dead there at RC in that thread .. for about a week or so .. until he started to post those headlines, yesterday i think...

If you check the times of those posts of his.. they are way past the times of my posts :0

I saw him, btw, yesterday, last night, lurking at Websleuths ... - on the bottom of the thread it shows there who is reading the thread... -- it was a user J4A, lol .. i clicked on him .. and it's him... same Avatar.. registered 2010 or something like that...

Shortly after i see he posted few more headlines from even a day ago .. to RC

Same thing today ...

I know he has some "news roll" coming to his Main Page .... so some of them he can take from there...

But know for sure he is taking "my finds" .. LOL .. like earlier today ... i posted this one at around 9:30 am:

and then i see he posts it at RC around noon or 1 pm

Audio podcast of Charlie Langton... - those are not even advertised / nor show up in his News Rolls...

I don't give much chit actually .. but shows you some "class" of his....
When someone takes something and not even a mention where he took from .. or credit the original "go getter" :)

Me .. when i even take a simple photo from someone's hint / tip .. i always give a credit to that person in my post :)

Was going to PM to J4A over at WS .. and tell him this and that sarcastically .. - but then figured, what's the point.. he doesn't give a "flying kite" anyhow

If he stole a f* site from you, lol, you think he is going to give a heck about stealing few posts .. - just to have his thread going, cuz after he banned me and i stopped posting .. and then told few people about their scams.. - thread kinda died there... - so i guess he decided to take initiative into his "own hands" and to revive it somewhat...

Revive with Vivarin, lol

... and thieves will always remain thieves... anyway you slice it :)
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Lawyer predicts Bashara could soon be charged in wife's murder

Posted: Jul 10, 2012 4:29 PM CDT
Updated: Jul 10, 2012 4:30 PM CDT

By Amy Lange

DETROIT (WJBK) -
"Criminal charges are forthcoming in regards to the death of Jane Bashara," David Griem said Tuesday.

Bob Bashara's attorney is predicting his client could be charged very soon. This after reports that a second mental evaluation has found confessed hit man Joe Gentz is competent to stand trial. That clears the way for a plea deal with prosecutors and possible murder and conspiracy charges against Bashara for the strangulation of his wife, Jane, back in January.

"Joe Gentz gets one of these (slaps his wrist) and testifies in return against Bob Bashara," said Griem. "I'm not sure they need Joe Gentz like they needed him originally because of the second case."

That second case has Bashara already locked up accused of trying to hire a hit man to kill alleged hit man Joe Gentz in jail, all allegedly captured in an audio recording.

"Allegedly he paid somebody $2,000 to somehow infiltrate the Wayne County Jail," Griem said. "The evidence will show that the prosecution snitch approached Bob Bashara."

That person is a longtime acquaintance of Bob Bashara's at Steve's Furniture and Appliance store in Detroit where they declined comment.

Meantime, Gentz is getting ready for his new court date, originally scheduled for July 23.

That second competency hearing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday at 36th District Court. Bashara is not due back there for his case until July 24, but that could change if more charges come sooner.

Fox 2 legal analyst Charlie Langton says those charges could be imminent.

"If he's a murderer and Joe Gentz can help prove that, there's no reason to wait at all. Bring the charges now. Let's get a trial," he said.

-----------

Last edited by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:45 pm

All I can say to that is your posts are good and it is their loss for banning you. He will read this because you put it in this thread. I wonder if he will copy paste the last one?
umno doubt it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Ya.. LOL... - that's what i figured .... why bother PM him at WS .... --- he will read it here, anyhow :)
Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Joe Gentz Competency Exam to be Held Wednesday

The handyman charged in the January strangulation death of Grosse Pointe Park resident Jane E. Bashara will have a competency exam Wednesday before 36th District Court Judge Kenneth J. King.

By Edward Cardenas, the author, 11:54 am

A second competency hearing for the handyman who worked for Bob Bashara has been rescheduled for Wednesday in 36th District Court before Chief Judge Kenneth J. King.

Joseph Gentz had been found competent to stand trial in the murder and conspiracy charges related to the strangulation death of Jane E. Bashara.

Gentz's court-appointed attorney, Susan Reed, requested the second competency evaluation by an independent doctor. The hearing was originally scheduled for July 23.

Gentz, most recently of Grosse Pointe Park and formerly of St. Clair Shores, has been housed at Dickerson Lockup Facility since his March 2 arrest in Jane Bashara's January homicide.

----------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Bob Bashara's arrest: Tale of the tapes

Bob Bashara's attorney David Griem plays potential evidence for his client

Published On: Jul 10 2012 07:07:48 PM EDT

---- TEXT & VIDEO (2:51) ----

WAYNE COUNTY, Mich. -
Bob Bashara, David Griem and the tapes. For the first time, the Local 4 Defenders are learning Bob Bashara heard the audio evidence - the recorded conversations between himself and an alleged middleman who was secretly working with police.
Attorney David Griem obtained the potential evidence and played the audio for his client Tuesday inside the Wayne County Jail.
The audio is a key piece of evidence as pros work to show Bob Bashara allegedly wanted handyman Joe Gentz killed.

Sources tell the Local 4 Defenders Bob Bashara was captured on tape talking with at least 2 different people. In one exchange he allegedly revealed he's frustrated with the police investigation and is upset with Joe Gentz. In another alleged exchange, Bashara laid out the plan by talking money and exactly how to take Gentz out.
Bashara’s attorney confirms the tapes exist but has said his client wasn’t ordering a hit. He says Bashara was misunderstood and he believes the evidence will show the conversations were taken out of context.

-----------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Bashara attorney loses appeal; Gentz’s mental competency subject of court hearing

By Mitch Hotts

Posted: 07/10/12 09:29 pm

Bob Bashara’s attorney on Tuesday lost an appeal to have a higher court oversee his attempts to limit prosecutors’ use of investigative subpoenas and today will learn if the man charged in the death of Bashara’s wife is mentally competent to stand trial.

Both moves could impact Bashara’s bid for freedom as he remains jailed on charges of trying to hire a hitman to kill Joe Gentz, the sole defendant charged so far in the strangulation of Jane Bashara.

In a decision announced Tuesday, the Michigan Court of Appeals has denied a motion filed by Bashara defense attorney Dave Griem for superintending control.

However, a spokeswoman for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office said the motion has been sealed by the court and the parties are not allowed to discuss its substance.

The ruling simply stated: “The Court orders that the complaint for superintending control is denied.” It was signed by Presiding Judge Michael Talbot.

Although details of the motion were not made public, Griem last month told reporters prosecutors were being overaggressive in using subpoenas to require witnesses to talk to police investigating whether Bashara plotted the murder of his wife this past January.

A request for superintending control generally asks a higher court to issue an order that specifically requires a lower court to allow or stop a certain action.

Griem could not be reached for comment on the ruling.

Bob Bashara, 56, of Grosse Pointe Park, is being held in the Wayne County Jail in lieu of a $15 million bond after he was charged with solicitation of murder for trying to hire someone to kill Gentz, his former handyman.

Although publicly labeled a person of interest in his wife’s death, Bashara has not been charged in connection with her death. Gentz, formerly of St. Clair Shores, faces charges of first-degree murder and conspiracy to kill Jane Bashara. He allegedly confessed to killing the woman in her home, at the behest of her husband.

Gentz reportedly has told investigators that he was paid $2,000 for the deed while other times he said Bob Bashara forced him at gunpoint to kill her.

Gentz is due Wednesday afternoon in 36th District Court in Detroit where he is expected to be found mentally competent for trial. A previous exam ordered by the court found he was able to understand the charges against him. The second exam was requested by his court-appointed defense attorney Susan Reed.

If Gentz is found competent, Reed is expected to resume plea bargain negotiations with the prosecutor’s office.

--------------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:07 am

July 11, 2012 at 1:00 am
Hearing today for Bashara suspect

Court to discuss review saying Gentz is fit to stand trial

By Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News

Detroit— A competency hearing is expected Wednesday for the handyman charged in the strangulation death of a Grosse Pointe Park woman, days after his attorney revealed that an independent mental review deemed him competent to stand trial.

Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Lisa Lindsey is expected to appear before 36th District Chief Judge Kenneth King at 1:30 p.m. to discuss competency findings for Joseph Gentz.

The St. Clair Shores man is charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy in the January death of Jane Bashara. Gentz has claimed Jane Bashara's husband, Robert, promised him money and a car to commit the killing.

Gentz's attorney, Susan Reed, on Monday confirmed the findings of a court-sanctioned independent evaluation. She could not be reached Tuesday.

A previous review conducted by doctors at the state forensic center also found Gentz competent.

Jane Bashara's body was found Jan. 25 inside her Mercedes-Benz in Detroit.

Robert Bashara is not charged in his wife's death, but does face charges that he tried to hire a hit man to kill Gentz in jail.

Bashara's lawyer, David Griem, denies those charges and says his client claims it was a setup.

Griem Tuesday said it's "absolutely no surprise to anyone" that Gentz has been found competent on the second evaluation.

Griem said the competency issue is a "charade" being put on by Reed and prosecutors to buy time to negotiate a plea resolution and to bolster Gentz's credibility and believability with two reports declaring him competent.

"They have a friendly relationship in that regard…both sides are pointing their guns at Robert Bashara," Griem said.

Griem added he's certain his client will be charged in connection Jane Bashara's killing.

"It's just a question of when," he said.

Bashara was arraigned in June on charges of solicitation of murder on claims he paid one man and attempted to pay another to kill Gentz.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy has said "investigative sources" say Bashara wanted Gentz killed in jail because he didn't want him to testify. Lindsey previously said in court that Reed wanted the independent evaluation before entering into plea negotiations for Gentz.

(313) 222-2069

-----------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:25 am

Bob Bashara's lawyer loses bid to curb use of subpoenas that force witnesses to talk

July 11, 2012

By Joe Swickard
Detroit Free Press Staff Writer

Bob Bashara's attorney lost his bid Tuesday to rein in the use of investigative subpoenas by the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office.

In a terse one-line order, the Michigan Court of Appeals denied attorney David Griem's request for an order of superintending control.

"I'm not surprised," Griem said Tuesday. "It's very difficult to get any type of relief with the Michigan Court of Appeals in any criminal case."

A request for superintending control is plea for a higher court to intercede because a lower court failed to perform a clear legal duty. The details of his request are not known because the motion was sealed when it was filed last month. But Griem had railed against what he considers an overly aggressive use of the subpoenas that require witnesses to talk with prosecutors.

Griem characterized the Prosecutor's Office as "out of control" in its efforts to gather evidence that Bashara was behind the January slaying of his wife, Jane Bashara of Grosse Pointe Park.

In a prepared statement, the Prosecutor's Office said the sealing of the motion prohibited discussion of its contents.

Bashara has not been charged in his wife's death, but he was arrested last month on a charge of attempting to get a hit man to kill Joe Gentz in the Wayne County Jail. Gentz, who told police he killed Jane Bashara at her husband's behest, is being held on murder charges.

A hearing on Gentz's mental competency to stand trial is scheduled for today in 36th District Court in Detroit. If he is found competent, it would enable his lawyer Susan Reed to open the door for negotiations with prosecutors.

Gentz, charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy, faces a mandatory life sentence without parole if convicted. Cooperation could lead to a lesser charge and a sentence carrying at least the possibility of parole.

Griem said he can't challenge the findings on Gentz's mental status.

----------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkman on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:58 am

Joe Gentz in court today for results of 2nd competency test results

Gentz charged in murder of Grosse Pointe Park mom Jane Bashara

Published On: Jul 09 2012 11:56:22 PM EDT Updated On: Jul 11 2012 06:20:53 AM EDT

DETROIT -
Handyman Joe Gentz will be back in court Wednesday for a formal hearing on the results of a second competency test.

Joe Gentz's attorney, Susan Reed, on Monday confirmed the finding of a court-sanctioned independent evaluation.

Gentz previously had been determined competent to stand trial by doctors at the state forensic center.

He's charged in the death of Jane Bashara, whose body was found in her Mercedes-Benz in Detroit in January. He's charged with murder and conspiracy.

Gentz did odd jobs for the victim's husband. Bob Bashara is not charged in his wife's death, but does face charges that he tried to hire a hit man to kill Gentz in jail.

Local 4 legal expert Todd Flodd said Gentz could accept a deal where he testifies against Bob Bashara.

---------

Darkman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum