Harvey pleads guilty in Valerie Hamilton's death Sentenced to 87-114 months in prison

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Harvey pleads guilty in Valerie Hamilton's death Sentenced to 87-114 months in prison

Post by lisette on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 pm

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The man charged in connection with the death of Valerie Hamilton, the daughter of former Concord Police Chief Merl Hamilton, has pleaded guilty to charges of involuntary manslaughter and concealing a death.

Michael Neal Harvey, 37, faces a sentence of 7.25 years to 9.5 years in prison.

The charges stem from the September 15, 2010, overdose death of Valerie Hamilton. Witnesses said when they told Harvey that Hamilton needed medical attention, Harvey drove her to a motel, according to a news release from the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s Office.

“Valerie was always accountable for mistakes she made in her life,” her father, Merl Hamilton, stated in a press release. “As her father, I am acutely aware of my responsibility for the mistakes she and I collectively made in her life. Her family hopes Mr. Harvey is able to confront his responsibility for the role he played in her death.”

Harvey met Valerie Hamilton on the night of Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2010 at the Thomas Street Tavern, according to the news release. The two returned to Harvey’s home about 2 a.m.

Officials said that while at Harvey’s home the two used heroin, and there is evidence to suggest that Harvey injected Hamilton with heroin, according to the Mecklenburg district attorney’s office. But the evidence was inconclusive and contested, according to the release.

Witnesses later saw Hamilton incoherent in Harvey’s room and told Harvey to get Hamilton medical attention. Instead of getting Hamilton the medical attention she needed Harvey took her to a motel, according to the D.A.’s office.

Motel security saw Hamilton slumped over in Harvey’s truck in the parking lot, but saw that she was breathing, officials said. Harvey told security Hamilton was drunk, according to the D.A.’s office.

Harvey said he put Hamilton to bed at the motel and woke up Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2010, to find her dead, according to the news release. The next morning, Thursday, Harvey wrapped Hamilton’s body in a sheet, hid her body in a storage unit, and fled to New York, according to the D.A.’s office.

"He took her to the Econo Lodge hotel on Independence Boulevard," and "later moved the victim to a storage unit on Monroe Road." It is in a storage unit there that police found Hamilton's body, according to published reports.

Hamilton was arrested in New York on Sept. 20, 2010.

After his arrest, Harvey denied providing or injecting Hamilton with any drugs and no witnesses knew otherwise, according to the news release. But Harvey admitted to interfering with Hamilton’s ability to get medical treatment by moving her to the motel.

Harvey could have faced a second-degree murder charge, but the district attorney’s office was unable to provide conclusive proof that Harvey provided or injected the heroin, according to the news release.

Hamilton’s friends said she had previously struggled with a cocaine addiction. At the time of her death, the medical examiner determined that she died from a combined use of heroin and cocaine.

The district attorney’s office agreed to allow Harvey to plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter and concealing a death after they consulted with Merl Hamilton.

“Valerie’s family would like to thank all of the law enforcement officers who assisted in investigating this case, particularly those of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department,” Merl Hamilton stated in a news release. “We would also like to thank the members of the district attorneys’ office who worked very hard to find justice for everyone involved.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is from my "neck of the woods." Don't know what happened to the thread we had on this, but above is the outcome of the case.

lisette

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Harvey pleads guilty in Valerie Hamilton's death Sentenced to 87-114 months in prison

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:12 am

We had a ton of info on this case. I remember it well.

This is a forumotions glitch we've been trying to clear up for months now. It seems to be happening to other websites as well.

Thanks for keeping up on this case, Lisette.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum