Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea - Page 2 Empty New Information Could Come Soon in Case of Murdered Nursing Student

Post by raine1953 Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:00 am

TULLAHOMA,Tenn.---Four months after her death, the family of a murdered nursing student is hopeful answers in the case will come soon.

Megan Sharpton's partially burned body was found on July 2 in Franklin County. Her abandoned car was found 12 hours later on a rural road in Bedford County. Franklin County Sheriff's investigators have following up on leads in the case ever since, but no arrest have been made. An autopsy revealed the cause of death as blunt force trauma.

"I'm hopeful," said Kelly Sharpton, Megan's mother, "I hear a lot of rumors, but I hope they are true. It is time for some answers."

Investigators say Tullahoma resident Donnie Jones is a "person of interest" in the murder. He is being held under $100,000 bond in the Coffee County Jail on a charge of felony possession of a weapon, but he has never been charged in connection to Megan's death.

Her family has struggled through the last week which included the four month anniversary of her death, what would have been her 25th birthday, and her graduation Shelbyville Technical School. She was honored with a posthumous nursing degree.

"It was their night, but they took a moment of the evening to remember Megan," said Sharpton. "It was very touching."

Sharpton said she often turns to the garden built in her backyard in honor of Megan during tough days.

"It has been an up and down roller coaster," said Sharpton, "Some days we feel strong and want to fight, and other days we are too weak to stand."

Sharpton said nothing will bring her daughter back, but she will rest easier knowing her killer is behind bars.

"We want her memory to be one of strength and peace. She was on her way to great things. We aren't going to forget that."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Video at link

raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea - Page 2 Empty Re: Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea

Post by Wrapitup Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 am

There will be a press conference on Tuesday at 10 a.m. in Winchester regarding the Megan Sharpton case.

A prepared statement will be read by Franklin County Sheriff Tim Fuller. A representative of the District Attorney’s Office and a representative from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation will be present to relay as much information as possible about the progress and status of the case.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea - Page 2 Empty Re: Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea

Post by Wrapitup Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:58 am

New Details Could Be Released In Nursing Student's Murder

Posted: Nov 06, 2012 8:38 AM CST
Updated: Nov 06, 2012 8:38 AM CST

FRANKLIN COUNTY, Tenn. – New details could be revealed Tuesday morning in the murder of a Tullahoma nursing student.

Franklin County Authorities have scheduled a press conference regarding Megan Sharpton's murder, whose partially burned body was found July 2 on the Awalt Bridge in Franklin County. Her car was found later the same day about 20 miles away. Her death was ruled a homicide and detectives said preliminary reports indicated that Sharpton died of blunt force trauma.

She was supposed to have lunch with her sister the day before when she disappeared.

The man investigators have described as a "person of interest" in the case is Tullahoma resident Donnie Jones.

He has been held since September on $100,000 bond at the Coffee County Jail on a charge of felony possession of a weapon, but he has never been charged in connection to Megan's death.

Sharpton's mother told NewsChannel 5 that Jones has ties to her daughter through his wife. She said her daughter and Naomi Jones carpooled from Tullahoma to nursing school in Murfreesboro.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea - Page 2 Empty Man Charged With Murder Of Tullahoma Nursing Student. Authorities said 37-year-old Donnie Frank Jones, Jr. was indicted Monday afternoon by the Franklin County Grand Jury in the death of 24-year-old Megan Sharpton.

Post by Wrapitup Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Posted: Nov 06, 2012 8:38 AM CST
Updated: Nov 06, 2012 10:31 AM CST

FRANKLIN COUNTY, Tenn. – A man has been charged in the murder of a Tullahoma nursing student.

Authorities said 37-year-old Donnie Frank Jones, Jr. was indicted Monday afternoon by the Franklin County Grand Jury in the death of 24-year-old Megan Sharpton. The announcement was made a press conference on Tuesday morning.

Jones, who was previously considered a person of interest, was charged with first-degree murder, felony murder, two counts of especially aggravated kidnapping and two counts of aggravated rape. Authorities said results from evidence sent to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation crime lab led to the arrest.

"We've known for several months who our guy was," said Franklin County Sheriff Tim Fuller.

"I'm very grateful for this day, and the people that brought us here," Sharpton's mother Kelly said with tears in her eyes. "I don't know if there's ever closure."

Jones had been held since September on $100,000 bond at the Coffee County Jail on an unrelated charge of felony possession of a weapon.

He was transferred from the Coffee County jail to the Franklin County jail Monday night, where he will be held without bond until a hearing on November 16.

Authorities said Jones was "very meek, didn't have a lot to say, and shed a few tears during the booking process."

Sharpton's partially burned body was found July 2 on the Awalt Bridge in Franklin County. Her car was found later the same day about 20 miles away. Her death was ruled a homicide and detectives said preliminary reports indicated that Sharpton died of blunt force trauma.

She was supposed to have lunch with her sister the day before when she disappeared.

Sharpton's mother had previously told NewsChannel 5 that Jones had ties to her daughter through his wife. She said her daughter and Naomi Jones carpooled from Tullahoma to nursing school in Murfreesboro.

Authorities said Jones has 21 felony convictions on various charges including burglary, forgery, and attempted rape.

What an Enormous Relief for Megan's family!!!! I want to know WHY, WHY WHYYY he did this!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:57 am

I am so glad to read this. May her family feel safe now from that POS and that justice for Megan will be sought.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:50 pm

Family of slain TN nursing student speak out

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 8:21 PM CST
Updated: Nov 13, 2012 10:10 PM CST
By Shumuriel Ratliff - email

We're hearing from family members of a nursing student who was found dead on the side of the road this summer. Authorities arrested a man in connection with Megan Sharpton's murder in September. Carrie Taylor, Sharpton's sister, talks about the summer when she found out her younger and only sister was dead.

"July 2nd was definitely one of the worst days of my life," she said. "I received the phone call and my world was turned upside down."

Sharpton's body was found on the side of the road near Winchester, Tennessee. She'd been sexually assaulted and set on fire.

Months after the tragedy, 37-year-old Donnie Jones Jr. was arrested and charged with first degree murder, two counts of especially aggravated kidnapping, and two counts of aggravated rape.

Taylor said that Jones was an acquaintance of her sisters. She knew his wife from her nursing program.

Taylor describes her sister as a very trusting person and said she was with Jones back in July to try and better her future.

"She was under the impression that there was a job opportunity," Taylor said. "So she was going to help her family to help herself, to help this so called person. She was doing it to better everyone around her, and she got taken advantage of."

Now Taylor wants to keep her sister's memory alive by warning others.

"My goal is to be Megan's voice and to let other's become more aware that it's right here and that it's very real, and if I could help one other person from what my sister had to go through, then that's me speaking for her," she said.

With Jones' court hearing approaching, Taylor wants one thing for her sibling.

"I hope that there is peace for Megan," she said. "I hope that there is no justice and I know that sounds crazy. I just hope that it never happens again. She may not be here in flesh and blood, but she's here. Her soul and her spirit are still here and they always will be."

Sharpton's family started a nursing scholarship in her memory.

Jones is being held in the Franklin County Jail with no bond. He is set to appear in circuit court on Friday at 9 a.m.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea - Page 2 Empty Mental evaluation ordered for Donnie Jones

Post by raine1953 Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:31 am

The decision as to whether prosecutors will seek the death penalty in the murder trial of Donnie Frank Jones Jr., 37, of Tullahoma, was delayed Thursday by Franklin County District Attorney Mike Taylor until a mental evaluation is completed.

Jones was arrested Nov. 5 and charged with first-degree murder and other charges in the death of Megan Sharpton, 24, also of Tullahoma. Her partially burned body was found in the early morning hours of July 2 in rural Franklin County.

Donnie Frank Jones Jr., 37, seen here in an earlier court appearance, has been ordered to undergo a mental evaulation before prosecutors will decide whether or not to seek the death penalty against him for the murder of Megan Sharpton. -- Staff photo by Wayne Thomas
The delay came after a court order for a mental evaluation was entered for Jones, of Bel-Aire Drive. Taylor said that his office is still considering whether or not to file a notice that it will seek the death penalty in the case.

Jones is charged with first-degree murder, especially aggravated kidnapping and aggravated rape. He pleaded not guilty during a November hearing in Franklin County Circuit Court to the charges and continues to be held in the Franklin County Jail without bond.

The Circuit Court order, signed by Judge Thomas Graham and calling for the evaluation, states that Jones will be assessed for his “mental condition at the time of the crime, and to determine whether he was able to appreciate the nature or wrongfulness” of the acts he’s accused of committing.

The mental evaluation will also determine whether Jones is competent to stand trial or if there is a need for him to be hospitalized for any mental condition, according to court documents.

“He has already started his mental evaluation testing,” Franklin County Sheriff Tim Fuller stated Friday afternoon.

The prosecutor said that he would not make a decision on the death penalty avenue until after the mental evaluation is completed. He will also meet with Sharpton’s family and discuss the choices.

The partially burned body of Sharpton was found in the early morning hours of July 2 by passers-by on the side of Awalt Road in Franklin County. Her car was found later that day on Three Forks Bridge Road in Bedford County, while her purse was found two days later in Rock Creek on Fletcher Road in Franklin County.

Kelly Sharpton, Megan’s mother, has said that her daughter and Jones’ wife were acquainted and had ridden to nursing school “one or two times.”

Jones had been scheduled to appear before a Franklin County Circuit Court judge Jan. 24.

Winchester attorney Joe Ford was appointed to represent Jones by the courts.

A charge of a being a felon in possession of a firearm will be presented to the Coffee County Grand Jury when it meets Jan. 8.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea - Page 2 Web-donnie-jones-in-court-300x200
Donnie Frank Jones Jr., 37, seen here in an earlier court appearance, has been ordered to undergo a mental evaulation before prosecutors will decide whether or not to seek the death penalty against him for the murder of Megan Sharpton. -- Staff photo by Wayne Thomas
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 am

Peace for Megan Sharpton
Seven months ago today, my starry girl got up and showered. Called her mama and sister, kissed her boyfriend good bye for work and left to go on a job interview. She probably sang on the way and I betcha she took the back roads. She loved the back roads. Especially the ones on the way to Shelbyville. She liked the trees and the water and the little town of Normandy she passed through on her journey. She had no idea it would be the last time her eyes would see that beauty. I had no idea it would be the last time I heard her voice. That journey started that day and continues now. Megan was got that job, just not the one we expected. Her life was sacrificed to save others. She's done an amazing job and I am so incredibly proud of her. She is stronger than anyone I've ever met. She is more lovely and full of grace than any person ever made. I sit here with tears in my eyes because I love her so much and I am learning to accept this was her purpose. Shine on my angel girl. I love you all the time...your voice will be heard. I promise. cryingagain

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea - Page 2 Empty Man charged with slaying student pleads guilty

Post by Wrapitup Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 am

Published 12:57 pm, Monday, February 4, 2013

TULLAHOMA, Tenn. (AP) — A Tennessee man charged with killing a Tullahoma nursing student has pleaded guilty and been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Multiple media outlets reported that 37-year-old Donnie Jones entered the plea to a charge of first-degree murder on Monday in the death of 24-year-old Megan Sharpton in July 2012.

Sharpton's partially burned body was found July 2 on the Awalt Bridge in Franklin County. Her car was found later the same day about 20 miles away.

A grand jury indicted Jones in November. He faced multiple charges, including felony murder, two counts of especially aggravated kidnapping and two counts of aggravated rape.

Jones had been in custody since September on an unrelated weapons charge.

Authorities said DNA evidence lab led to his arrest.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Kelly Sharpton held her daughters picture close as the man who killed her agreed to a plea deal that will keep him in prison for the rest of his life with no hope of parole.

Donnie Jones avoided any possibility of the death penalty by pleading guilty to first degree murder in the death of Meagan Sharpton Monday morning in Winchester.

"She was raped she was brutally murdered. My heart is open and bleeding and it will never close," said Sharpton.

That heartache began last July, when nursing student Megan Sharpton answered a call from a man who wanted to meet with her about a job sitting with an elderly patient.

"She was excited. She was gonna quit waiting tables and do more in line with what her career choice was," said Sharpton.

Investigators say the whole thing was a ploy by Jones who raped and shot Sharpton then set her body on fire near Tim Fords Lake.

"Our theory was the purpose of the fire is to destroy semen present in her body," said District Attorney Mike Taylor.

Taylor says the fire actually ended up preserving the evidence that became key after investigators linked Jones to the crime through cell phone records and Sharpton's clothing found on his family's property.

"I attribute it to the Lord watching over us but at the same time a lot of hard work," said Franklin County Sheriff Tim Fuller.

Despite the plea, the case may not be completely over.

Prosecutors are still looking at a person of interest who may be an accessory to the crime.

Investigators declined to identify that person but the important thing for Sharpton's family is what happened today when Jones headed to prison for the rest of his life.

"He's a coward and the game is over," said Sharpton.

Authorities also said Monday that Jones tried to contact another woman in the same manner he contacted Sharpton.

Sheriff Fuller says that woman could have been a victim too if she'd met with Jones.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea - Page 2 Empty Must-SEE!

Post by Wrapitup Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Megan Sharpton, 24, found burning in Franklin County died of blunt force trauma/Donnie Jones arrested. Update: 02/04/13: Jones pleads GUILTY, sentenced to Life in Prison w/No Parole!/Update 2/25/13: Jones files a petition to w/draw guilty plea - Page 2 Empty Confessed killer files motion to withdraw plea

Post by raine1953 Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 pm

FRANKLIN COUNTY, Tenn. (WAAY) - The man who admitted killing and burning the body of a nursing student has filed a petition to withdraw his guilty plea.
Donnie Jones, 37, filed the petition today in Franklin County, according to the county court clerk. The motion will go before a judge April 9.
Jones pleaded guilty Feb. 4 to first degree murder in the death of Megan Sharpton, whose burned body was found on a remote Franklin County road last July. He was sentenced to life without parole.
Investigators said Jones lured Sharpton to a remote location under the pretense of offering her a job. Before pleading guilty, he had been indicted on charges of first degree murder, felony first degree murder and two counts each of especially aggravated kidnapping and aggravated rape.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 am

I guess any prisoner can file a petition for whatever but what counts is IF it's heard and ruled positive on. What's the chances of this one being positive? I bet not much but OMOO.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:01 am

Peace for Megan Sharpton
She was real, alive, breathing, beautiful, smart, kind, compassionate, generous, loving, loved and now.... just gone from this life. I realize more and more each day that in a different but no less important way... she is still real, beautiful, smart, kind, compassionate, generous, loving and loved. She is giving all she has and more than she could have known she was meant to give when she was alive and breathing. She would have gladly given her life at the moment of death if asked, and I think maybe she was by some force we do not understand, "Megan, you can live and he can continue this terror on others or you can go and stop him forever". Knowing Megan's heart, she did not hesitate. It's our job, all of us left behind to make sure we carry this out for her. I can't let her down. I love you CcMAW... all the time.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2