Police search woods for NY man, Eugene Palmer, wanted in murder of daughter-in-law, Tammy Palmer/LE Ends Search for Palmer/11.24.12 Palmer indicted for Tammy's murder, Tammy's parents trying to win custody of G'kids

Go down

Normal Police search woods for NY man, Eugene Palmer, wanted in murder of daughter-in-law, Tammy Palmer/LE Ends Search for Palmer/11.24.12 Palmer indicted for Tammy's murder, Tammy's parents trying to win custody of G'kids

Post by lisette on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 pm

A search is ongoing for an elderly New York man wanted for allegedly shooting his daughter-in-law to death early Monday, relatives and police told FoxNews.com.
Eugene Palmer, 73, of Haverstraw, admitted to relatives that he killed Tammy Palmer, 39, after shooting her at about 7:40 a.m. Monday, minutes after putting her two children on a school bus, according to Tammy Palmer’s father, John Pannirello.
“He admitted it, he admitted it to his sister,” Pannirello told FoxNews.com. “He said, ‘I just shot Tammy.’”
Palmer reportedly then told his sister, Elaine Babcock, who could not be reached for comment, to “give [him] an hour to get away” before calling police to report the crime. Babcock told The Journal News she then called 911 and went to Palmer’s home, where police investigators had already found her body.
Palmer, a retired truck driver and seasoned outdoorsman, is now being sought by police and may be hiding out in the woods near Willow Grove Road or in nearby Harriman State Park, a vast wooded area, police and relatives told FoxNews.com.
“They think he’s up in Harriman, they’re all out looking for him,” Pannirello said. “But he’s a woodsman and he has plenty of guns.”
Babcock said her brother, who left money to pay property taxes before fleeing, was caught in the middle of domestic problems between Tammy Palmer and his son, John, who had been estranged after 17 years of marriage.
“She was aggravating the crap out of him, tormenting him,” Babcock told The Journal News. “They were pushing each other’s buttons. One or the other is going to snap. He’s the one that obviously snapped.”
Haverstraw Police Chief Charles Miller, who did not return a call seeking comment Tuesday, has said Miller fled in his green 1996 Dodge Ram pickup truck — likely toward the 46,000-acre state park — and has been labeled as possibly armed and dangerous in an arrest bulletin.
Tammy Palmer’s cause of death had not yet been determined of as midday Tuesday, according to the Rockland Medical Examiner’s Office. Calls seeking additional comment from the district attorney’s office were not immediately returned.
Palmer lived with her two children, John, 12, and Rosemarie, 16, in separate homes on the same parcel of land as her father-in-law. She had obtained an order of protection against Palmer’s son, barring him from the property, Pannirello said. That's why it might not be a good idea to ever build a house on your in-laws' land. You never know what the future holds!
Palmer endured the imperfect living situation to best provide for her children and the family’s dog, her father said.
“She had nowhere else to go,” he said. “It was a mess; it was so bad. Thank god she put the kids on the bus that morning. After that, she went to hang some clothes and he came down with a gun.”
Palmer’s mother, Violet Pannirello, said her daughter suffered through an “abusive” marriage and painfully tried to save the relationship by losing nearly 200 pounds. WOW!
“She wasn’t happy for a long, long time,” Violet Pannirello told FoxNews.com. “She had been abused and knocked down by his family.”
Pannirello said her daughter had feared the worst but knew no way out of her living situation.
“She was afraid for her life,” she said. “He was always a very difficult man to get along with. I don’t think any woman was good enough for his son.”

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
lisette

Back to top Go down

Normal Tammy's daughter and her parents

Post by Nama on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:33 pm

Sixteen-year-old Rosemarie Palmer's connection with her mother ran so deep that when school security pulled her out of her third-period psychology class, she knew something had happened to her best friend.
"The first thing I asked was, 'Where's my mom?' " Palmer said. "I just started crying and freaking out, saying, 'She's not dead! She's not dead!' "
It was moments later when her father, John Palmer, confirmed her worst fear.
"He said, 'Your grandfather shot your mother. He killed her,' " the Haverstraw teen told Newsday in an exclusive interview.
As she spent Tuesday trying to make sense of what had happened, police scoured Harriman State Park on a manhunt for her grandfather, Eugene Palmer, who is wanted in the fatal shooting of her mother, Tammy Palmer, at their home the day before.
Shortly after 1 p.m. Tuesday, authorities found Eugene Palmer's green Dodge Ram pickup truck with the keys still in the ignition. It was parked off a dirt path about half a mile from where the killing occurred. The search continued until dusk, with no further sign of the 73-year-old fugitive.
"He's psycho; he's no good," Rosemarie Palmer said of her grandfather. "I wish the worst on him. She didn't deserve that. She's still young. She had a whole life ahead of her."
Rosemarie Palmer's emotions teetered on Tuesday between the anger she felt for her grandfather and the pain of losing her mother.
"My mom was more than a mother to me. She was my best friend," Rosemarie Palmer said. "We did everything together. We would go shopping together. I loved to do hair so she would let me do her hair ... I love her so much."
"She meant the world to me," the teen said. "It's going to kill me to put her in the ground."
Victim, in-laws had feuded, family says
Tammy Palmer's parents believe that the killing was a result of domestic problems. Her parents, John and Violet Pannirello of Stony Point, said their daughter wanted a divorce because she believed that her husband of 17 years had repeatedly been unfaithful to her. Their arguments escalated to the point where John Palmer, 39, beat up his wife, the Pannirellos said. Tammy Palmer, also 39, ended up taking out an order of protection against him about a month ago, officials said.
Tammy Palmer then started getting into fights with Eugene Palmer, who wanted her to drop the criminal charges against his son, but she refused, her family said.
On Friday, Eugene Palmer paid the petite Tammy Palmer a visit with a gun and threatened her as she tried to defend herself with a stick, according to the Pannirellos.
"On Friday, my grandfather said to me, 'I'm going to take your mother down, Rose. Mark my words: I'm going to take her down,' and he did," Rosemarie Palmer said. "I don't have my mother anymore."
Tammy Palmer eventually was able to escape that encounter to her parents' home unharmed.
Three days later, however, after Rosemarie and her brother, 12-year-old John, left for school, Eugene Palmer allegedly paid his daughter-in-law another visit at the 570 Willow Grove Rd. home he owned and where Tammy Palmer lived with her estranged husband and children.
Police responding to the house on a report of shots fired found Tammy Palmer shot to death and shortly thereafter launched their dragnet for her suspected killer.
"I hope the cops catch him and he's alive," said Violet Pannirello, 72. "I want to face him. I want to see him in handcuffs and his feet shackled. I need to face the man who killed my daughter."
Pannirello and her husband went to family court Tuesday in the hopes of gaining custody of their grandchildren, who had been in the care of their father since the killing. A judge granted the Pannirellos temporary custody, but the couple are due back in court on Thursday for another hearing. They said they will seek full custody of the kids.
In the meantime, Tammy Palmer's family is preparing to say its final farewells. A wake will be held for her from 2 to 4 p.m. and from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday at T.J. McGowan Sons Funeral Home at 133 Broadway in Garnerville. The funeral be held there Saturday, but the time hasn't been determined. She will be buried at Mount Repose Cemetery in Haverstraw.
Manhunt for the suspect continues
Authorities are expected to return to Harriman State Park on Wednesday to continue their search for Eugene Palmer, who police say is armed and dangerous. A shotgun and rifle are missing from his house, said Town of Haverstraw Police Chief Charles Miller.
The vastness of Harriman State Park -- which has 31 lakes and reservoirs and 200 miles of hiking trails -- makes the search for the suspect challenging.
Eugene Palmer "grew up in the area. His family originated in the area, so he probably knows the woods better than I know some of Haverstraw," Miller said earlier at a morning news conference in the park.
Police said that John Palmer was cooperating in efforts to track down his father and that Eugene Palmer's family members were also in the woods Tuesday searching.
"They're cooperating with us as best they can, but they're not telling us all his favorite spots," Miller said.
Town of Haverstraw police, the State Park police, the State Police, the Rockland County Sheriff's Department, bloodhounds from Westchester County, K-9 units from Suffern and other municipalities are all participating in the manhunt, Miller said.
Eugene Palmer was last reported seen by his sister, Elaine Palmer Babcock, who told police that he had come to her nearby house after the shooting Monday to give her money to pay taxes on his property.
Meanwhile, Eugene Palmer's car was towed Tuesday to a Rockland County sheriff's office facility, where a thorough search of the interior of the vehicle will be conducted.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Eugene Palmer

Post by Nama on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 pm

The 73-year-old man who told his family that he shot and killed his daughter-in-law Monday confronted her with a gun just three days earlier in an attempt to force her from her house, the woman’s parents told The Journal News.

After Eugene Palmer displayed a weapon on Friday, his daughter-in-law, Tammy Palmer threatened him with a log as her two children ran to their house, they say.

“He had a gun in his holster and wanted to abuse her,” said the victim’s father, John Pannirello. “She said he wanted her and the kids out of the house. She told him she’s not leaving. She picked up the log to chase him away.”

Eugene Palmer owns a Willow Grove Road parcel that includes his home and one where his son and daughter-in-law lived with their two children. His son, John, was recently slapped with a restraining order barring him from the home after he was accused of beating his wife.

The order was issued several weeks ago, after a fight that started when John Palmer returned home drunk and smelling of perfume, Pannirello said.

Tammy Palmer was killed hours before she was to meet with Child Protective Services to discuss the order, he said.

“My daughter wanted to see (CPS) to make sure John wouldn’t come to the house, but John claimed he had the right to see his father, who lives on the same property,” said Pannirello, of Stony Point.

Pannirello and his wife, Violet, have been watching over their slain daughter’s two children, ages 12 and 16.

They’re also preparing for a funeral. Visiting hours will be held from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Friday at T. J. McGowan Sons Funeral Home in Garnerville. The funeral will be Saturday at the funeral home at a time to determined, followed by burial at Mt. Repose Cemetery in Haverstraw.

John Palmer did not respond to phone calls for comment.

The family discord between the Palmer and Pannirello clans goes back more than two decades.

John Pannirello’s oldest daughter, Denise, had a relationship with John Palmer’s brother, Clarence. Their son, Nicholas, turned 20 on Monday — the day of his aunt’s slaying.

“(Clarence) left my daughter when the baby was 9 months old, and she and her son moved in with me,” Pannirello said.

Tammy and John Palmer were together for 17 years. Police had been called to the home several times recently to investigate domestic disputes.

One of the most serious incidents occurred a few weeks ago, when she accused him of cheating with a local woman she knew .

“That woman’s in love with my son-in-law,” John Pannirello said. “She was calling my daughter, tormenting her a couple weeks ago.”

On the night of the fight, the father said, “He was full of perfume. She approached him and asked, ‘If you want to live with this young lady, go do it but leave me and my children alone.’ That’s what started it all.”

John Palmer was arrested and briefly jailed after the fight. In the days leading up to the killing, Eugene Palmer would come over and harass Tammy, her parents say.

After his daughter informed him of Friday’s gun threat, John Pannirello said he became furious. She told him she was hanging clothes in the yard when Eugene Palmer showed up with a gun, he said.

“I was going to go up there to confront him,” he said, “but she told me to stay away from him, that he’s very disturbed.”

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Police search woods for NY man, Eugene Palmer, wanted in murder of daughter-in-law, Tammy Palmer/LE Ends Search for Palmer/11.24.12 Palmer indicted for Tammy's murder, Tammy's parents trying to win custody of G'kids

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Lisette said:
That's why it might not be a good idea to ever build a house on your in-laws' land. You never know what the future holds!
Amen!! Wow, this is horrible!!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Police search woods for NY man, Eugene Palmer, wanted in murder of daughter-in-law, Tammy Palmer/LE Ends Search for Palmer/11.24.12 Palmer indicted for Tammy's murder, Tammy's parents trying to win custody of G'kids

Post by Slys Hunny on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:22 am

That puts a whole new spin on disfuctional family. I feel so bad for the kids. Im not sure about the grandparents getting custody of the children though unless thier father was abusive to them too. I wonder with the statement "im going to take your mother down" if when hes caught they will go for a premeditation? Sad all the way around!
Slys Hunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:16 pm

It really is. Have not read that the father was abusive to them thus far.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Police Comb a Dense Forest for a Suspect in a Killing

Post by raine1953 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Eugene Palmer was always a loner, his neighbors in the Rockland County town of Haverstraw said. Armed with a shotgun, they said, Mr. Palmer often menaced people who strayed uninvited onto his hilly, overgrown property, and he was known to retreat into the woods near his home to camp and hunt.

It was to those woods that he fled on Monday night after, the police said, he killed his son’s estranged wife, Tammy Palmer, 39, who had lived with his son and their two children in a trailer home 50 feet from Mr. Palmer’s house.

According to The Journal News, Mr. Palmer told his sister that he needed an hour to escape the authorities, then, carrying at least one gun, he disappeared into Harriman State Park, which stretches over more than 46,000 acres. That led the police on a manhunt that had not ended by Wednesday night.

Charles Miller, the Haverstraw police chief, said about 30 armed officers were scouring the woods in teams. Around 4 p.m. Wednesday, about a dozen officers could be seen massing on the southwest side of Lake Welch, about two miles from Mr. Palmer’s home and the scene of the shooting.

As the search dragged on, turning up possible traces of Mr. Palmer’s flight — his green pickup truck abandoned here, an ashy campfire there — people in Haverstraw began predicting a bad ending to what had already been several weeks of violence and tension among Mr. Palmer, 73; his son John Palmer; and Tammy Palmer over a restraining order that Ms. Palmer had filed against her husband about a month ago.

“He’s very coldhearted,” John Pannirello, Ms. Palmer’s father, said of the elder Mr. Palmer. “The detective says he won’t be surprised if something goes on between us and him, if he has guns with him. I just have a bad, bad feeling.”

The police believe that Mr. Palmer, an avid outdoorsman who does not appear to have a criminal record, is carrying a shotgun, and they said that a rifle was also missing from his home. Chief Miller said his officers were prepared.

“They’re all armed, and they have bulletproof vests,” he said. “They’re being diligent out there.”

The Palmers and Pannirellos have been intertwined since Ms. Palmer’s older sister had a son with John Palmer’s older brother 20 years ago. Tammy and John separated about five months ago, Mr. Pannirello said. She filed a restraining order after he continued to show up at her home.

The couple had been married for about 17 years, Mr. Pannirello said — painful years for his daughter. In the past few weeks, there had been a custody battle for the children. Efforts to reach the younger Mr. Palmer on Wednesday were unsuccessful.

The elder Mr. Palmer, whose family has lived in the same secluded acres at the edge of Haverstraw for generations, did not make life much easier, Mr. Pannirello said. He railed against the restraining order, demanding that Ms. Palmer leave and shutting off the trailer’s electricity when she refused, Mr. Pannirello said; he also spied on her through binoculars and hurled racial epithets at his granddaughter’s friend. Days before the shooting, he told her, “This is your last chance,” while holding a gun in his pocket, and Ms. Palmer responded by threatening him with a log, Mr. Pannirello said.

Mr. Pannirello said that the police had asked him to give up his rifle and had posted officers around his house, fearing that the elder Mr. Palmer might show up, he said.

Mr. Palmer, a diabetic, had a heart attack last year, and the police do not know if he is carrying any medicine, Chief Miller said.

On Tuesday, police dogs trailed a scent from Mr. Palmer’s abandoned pickup truck to an area of the park known as the Irish Potato Trail before losing the scent. The police also found the remnants of a campfire that they believed to be Mr. Palmer’s. On Wednesday, the Department of Defense sent a helicopter equipped with infrared technology to aid the search, which has been hampered by the thickness of the woods.

At the home of Elaine Babcock, the elder Mr. Palmer’s sister, about a dozen relatives and friends had gathered Wednesday, shooing away reporters.

“Right now, he’s a desperate man, and there’s no telling what he’s going to do,” one neighbor who would give only his first name, Tommy, said of the elder Mr. Palmer. “He’s definitely not right in the head right now.”
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Sly's, thanks so much for keeping up on this thread.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Eugene Palmer's health could be taking toll, cops say

Post by raine1953 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

HAVERSTRAW — The town police chief said today that he’s become increasingly concerned that Eugene Palmer may be physically ill or worse, as police and tracking dogs continued exploring the mountainous terrain of Harriman State Park looking for the 73-year-old woodsman wanted in the shooting death of his daughter-in-law.

“I am starting to lean toward his medical condition becoming a problem for him and us when it comes to finding him,” Chief Charles Miller said. “I don’t know what physical condition he could be in at this point. That’s become my fear.”

Palmer, who lives with diabetes and suffered a heart attack a few years ago, has been wanted by police since Tammy Palmer was shot dead last Monday on the family property off Willow Grove Road.

Searchers today plan to revisit several areas in the park where Palmer has been known to go, Miller said, on the off-chance tracking dogs and police missed some clues the first time.

Palmer told a relative he shot his daughter-in-law after weeks of confrontations, according to police and his sister. Tammy Palmer angered him by obtaining an order of protection banning his son and her husband, John Palmer, from the property on the accusation he hit her.

The elder Palmer has eluded a police search including bloodhounds and other tracking dogs in the park, which spans 46,000 acres. The dogs traced his scent to a campsite on Tuesday after police found his truck about a quarter-mile up the mountain off Willow Grove Road, less than a half-mile from his home.

“That’s the only thing we’ve found.” Miller said of the campsite. “We’ve been in the woods and have gone to all of his favorite hunting spots. There have signs of bears. There have been signs of snakes. No sign of Palmer. This is like finding the needle in the haystack. We’re searching but have yet to find the needle.”

Attempts to use a helicopter with a heat detecting device failed to turn up anything. Miller said the autumn foliage was too heavy for any detection on the ground.

Searchers’ main hope is that Palmer’s family keeps searching the woods and working with the police. Miller said the family’s cooperation bolsters confidence that Palmer remains in the area, along with the lack of any evidence that he left. Miller also said the family told him Palmer left without hiking boots so may not be able to travel too far without the proper footwear.

“I still believe he’s there someplace, but he could be anywhere,” Miller said.

Up to 30 officers at times have been searching off and on since last Monday , while keeping a tight watch on local roads. Investigators even had the state police investigate an Adirondacks cabin in Seneca tied to Palmer, who is considered armed and dangerous and should not be approached. He threatened an environmental officer in 1986 and was convicted of aggravated harassment.

Friends and family buried Tammy Palmer on Saturday.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Slys Hunny on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:47 pm

doesnt sound like they have seen any signs of him since the first day when they found the camp fire
Slys Hunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Maybe he drove off somewhere and took his life??? Just a guess.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Unless he had his insulin he's as good as dead anyway.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:14 am

True!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Haverstraw police end search for slay suspect Eugene Palmer

Post by raine1953 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:46 pm

HAVERSTRAW — Police have given up searching Harriman State Park for the 73-year-old man wanted in the shooting death of his daughter-in-law.

The searchers’ inability to find the white-bearded Eugene Palmer and the wet weather led Haverstraw Police Chief Charles Miller to throw in the towel Wednesday, for the moment.

Miller said he could change his mind, depending on if there’s a verified Palmer spotting — which would be a first since the wily woodsman went into 46,000-acre wilderness Sept. 24.

“We never end the investigation,” Miller said. “I don’t think we will be going into the park anymore unless we get a spotting or some concrete location where he might be. It’s wet, muddy and slippery in there. I don’t want anyone getting hurt. My gut tells me he’s out there, whether he’s alive or debilitated.”

Just before 7:40 a.m. Sept. 24, Tammy Palmer, 39, a mother of two, was killed by a shotgun blast to her chest near the house where she lived on Palmer’s one-acre property off Willow Grove Road. Both families said the two had been feuding, with him getting angrier during the past few months after she got a court order of protection banning his son, John Palmer, her husband, from the property.

Eugene Palmer told his neice that he “had enough” and shot and killed his daughter-in-law, as he left his property tax payment with his family, his sister, Elaine Babcock has said. She lives down the block from her brother.

A few days earlier, Babcock said, her brother filed a menacing charge against Tammy Palmer for threatening him with a log. The woman’s father, John Pannirello, said his daughter acted when the older man threatened her with a gun.

On Sept. 25, police found Palmer’s green 1996 Dodge Ram pickup about a quarter-mile into the woods, not far from his house. A tracking dog took searchers to an abandoned camp site, but Palmer was not found and the scent died. One other siting of man sitting on a rock near Lake Welch produced a search but nothing else.

The police will continue to patrol the roads in and around the park, just in case Palmer is walking around.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 am

How utterly SAD!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Eugene Palmer, Elderly Murder Suspect, Has Eluded Police For 3 Weeks

NEW YORK, Oct 12 (Reuters) - Nearly three weeks after Eugene Palmer parked his pickup truck along a densely wooded state park 30 miles (48 km) from New York City and vanished, the whereabouts of the elderly man considered the prime suspect in the killing of his daughter-in-law remain a mystery.

The morning of Palmer's disappearance, his daughter-in-law, Tammy Palmer, 39, was shot to death at her home shortly after her children left for school. The New York Times reported that Palmer, 73, was upset with her over a restraining order she had filed against her husband, who is Palmer's son.

Local police, who declined to comment further on the Sept. 24 killing near the town of Haverstraw, have been unable to find Palmer, an experienced outdoorsman, despite a search of Harriman Park's 46,000 acres (19,000 hectares) of mountainous woods, streams, lakes and caves. The manhunt involved officers in bulletproof vests, tracking dogs and helicopters with thermal imaging equipment.

Although he is a diabetic, Palmer is described as the sort of hardy woodsman who could plausibly survive for weeks in the wild, armed only with his wits and, possibly, a gun or two, according to police and local residents.

"He hunted, he ate off the land as his forefathers did, he lived that type of life. There are so many places, so many caves in the mountain he could hide in," said Brenda Earl, a warden at St. John's in the Wilderness, a 19th-century church in a desolate section of the park.

Earl told Reuters on Friday that life was beginning to return to normal in the area after a period in which the missing suspect seemed like an ominous, lurking presence.

About 85 people attended Sunday's service at her church, she said, and "it was happy and joyous, and nobody seemed to be afraid that he was lurking in the corners or anyplace."

Hikers and fishermen, who three weeks ago were urged to steer clear of the park, have returned in their usual numbers, park officials say, even if they may still encounter Palmer's bearded face on posters dotting the trails.

"People should still use caution, we just don't see any reason for extraordinary measures," said Jim Hall, executive director of the Palisades Interstate Park Commission, who doubts anyone could survive long in the park without "a fair amount of equipment and wherewithal."

Survivalist experts say Harriman would not have to go hungry if he is as skilled a hunter as he is said to be. The park has plenty of deer, raccoon and rabbits, although other creatures - poisonous rattlesnakes and copperhead vipers - pose a threat.

Even Palmer's diabetes may not slow him down since a fugitive surviving in the woods would maintain an active, meat-rich, low-carb lifestyle.

"What he's done here is gone on a perfect dietary treatment regimen, the sort before we had medicines," said Daniel Lorber, a doctor and diabetes expert at the New York Hospital of Queens.

Haverstraw police would not discuss the case on Friday other than to say authorities were still looking for Palmer, declining to elaborate on whether he may be dead or alive. Police said previously that Palmer might have fled the area long ago, perhaps leaving his truck at the park as a ruse.

"People will always be looking even if they don't find him," said Earl. "Maybe it's always going to be a mystery - the mystery of the mountain."

lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:17 pm

It's unreal he has not been found yet, especially since he is a diabetic. One would think he would have to go to a pharmacy and get his rx filled. I wonder if he is dead.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:57 am

He could have had a supply of insulin on hand. If he's experienced in survival he just may be able to make it alive for a while. I hope he does and has to come out in the open for insulin. I want this guy strung up!
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:39 am

Amen!! Electric Chair

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Cadaver dogs hunt for fugitive Eugene Palmer in New York park after report of foul odor

Authorities are using cadaver dogs to search a section of a vast New York state park Wednesday for a 73-year-old fugitive suspected of gunning down his daughter-in-law three weeks ago before disappearing into the wilderness.
Haverstraw Police Chief Charles Miller told FoxNews.com that a hiker reported smelling a foul odor Tuesday in an area of Harriman State Park, a 46,000-acre woodland filled with caves and abandoned root cellars that straddles Rockland and Orange counties.
The report prompted police to scour the woods Wednesday morning for any sign of Eugene Palmer, of Haverstraw, N.Y., who allegedly shot and killed his son's estranged wife, 39-year-old Tammy Palmer, a mother of two, in what family members said was a bitter domestic dispute.
Palmer disappeared Sept. 24, a couple hours after police say he gunned down his daughter-in-law outside her Haverstraw home. Authorities believe Palmer, a retired park ranger and avid hunter, fled into Harriman State Park. So far, police have found no trace of him in the vast state forest.
On Tuesday, authorities discovered a body in woods in Orange County, but Miller said the individual is not Eugene Palmer. He described the person as a "young, Hispanic male," whose name has not been released.
Miller said he is unsure whether Palmer, who is diabetic and who suffered a heart attack last year, is carrying medication with him. Police said they believe he is armed with a shotgun and rifle because the weapons were found missing from his home.
Survival experts, like Mykel Hawke, said Palmer's chances of staying alive in the park depend on a variety of factors -- including his age and the level of preparation for the outdoors.
"If it was hasty, I give him seven days," said Hawke, a retired U.S. Army Special Forces officer and co-star of the Discovery Channel's "Man, Woman, Wild," which aired until last January.
"If it was planned, he could go 30 days -- given that he’s an outdoorsman and knows the lay of the land," he said.

lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:46 pm

As cadaver dogs search woods, Eugene Palmer's sister says he's dead

HAVERSTRAW — As more than 20 police officers and eight cadaver dogs searched the rocky terrain and caves for Eugene Palmer on Wednesday, the wanted man’s sister said she believes he is dead, his body somewhere in the wilderness of Harriman State Park.

Elaine Babcock said her 73-year-old brother — wanted in the shooting death of his daughter-in-law, Tammy Palmer, on Sept. 24 — has been out in the cold too long without proper clothing and provisions, and is sick with a heart condition and diabetes.

“I don’t think he’s alive,” Babcock said outside her house, a short distance down Willow Grove Road from her brother’s home. “It’s a matter of finding where his body is, so we can have closure.”

Babcock said that when her brother left her house and drove off in his truck before police found Tammy Palmer dead from a shotgun blast, he wore slippers on his feet. She said she didn’t think he had any gear to hike or survive in the woods stored in his truck.

Babcock faulted police for not conducting “an all-out, intensive search” for her brother.

“It’s been 23 days to get someone up there searching,” she said, adding police can’t find someone in the massive woods with just a couple of officers with dogs.

Haverstraw Police Chief Charles Miller said he has not ruled out Palmer being dead, but cannot close the investigation without a body.

"That's her opinion and it's possible," Miller said of Palmer being dead. "But without something concrete, like a body, we can't end our search."

Miller said he understood the anxiety the families are going through — Tammy Palmer’s parents and two children and Eugene Palmer’s relations — but a lot of law enforcement resources has been dedicated to finding her brother and solving the killing.

Palmer, a wily woodsman and experienced hunter, went into the woods Sept. 24 after being accused of shooting Tammy Palmer to death on his property along Willow Grove Road. She lived on the property in a separate house with her 12-year-old son and 16 year-old daughter.

Tammy Palmer and her father-in-law were feuding, and their frosty relationship worsened when she obtained a court order of protection banning her husband, John, who is Palmer’s son, from the property. She accused her estranged husband of having an affair and hitting her in August.

Police from numerous agencies canvassed the massive state park more than a week, calling off the in-woods search Oct. 3. Harriman is New York’s second-largest park with 46,000 acres.

Elaine Babcock’s husband, Ernie, and her brother’s son, Clarence, have been searching the woods and going to his favorite areas.

“They’ve gone everywhere,” Babcock said. “He’d go hiking all day, there are places he went by himself.”

The search began anew Wednesday when police sent the cadaver-sniffing dogs back into the woods after a hiker reported a strange odor on the southwest side of Willow Grove Road in the woods not far from Palmer's property over the weekend.

The teams went out about 9 a.m. and returned about 3 p.m. without success. Miller said each dog could cover 40 acres, meaning more than 300 acres might be searched. The dogs and officers, fanning out over areas near Lake Welch, Jackie Jones Mountain, and the reservoir, walked the mountainous terrain, double-checking areas previously searched.

“We’ve been following leads and talking to people who know Palmer,” Miller said. “We’ve got no new information that he’s left the woods or where he might be in the woods. We’re still banging our heads against the wall trying to find him. We don’t know if he’s alive. If he’s alive we want to cover all of our bases.”

Two vehicles from New Jersey Search and Rescue could be seen parked alongside a road Wednesday afternoon, about a half-mile from Palmer’s house. Aiding in the search were police officers from Stony Point, the Rockland Sheriff's Office and State Park Police.

After Tammy Palmer was shot, the elder Palmer went to his sister’s house down the road, where Babcock and police said he told his niece that he shot his daughter-in-law and wanted an hour’s head start before she called the police. He also gave his family money to pay his property taxes.

“Nobody saw him actually leave his house and what if anything he took with him,” Miller said. “I cannot tell you if he had a backpack filled with supplies and his pills for his diabetes. We’re assuming he didn’t. We can’t be 100 percent sure what he had in the truck.”

Anyone with information on Palmer is asked to call the Haverstraw Police Department at 845-354-1500.

lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Ok so if they don't know if he took his meds with him or not, why doesn't LE search his home to see if they were left behind? They could also determine if he took his weapons, camping/survival equipment etc.

His sister could be telling people she thinks her brother is dead so LE will call off the search for him. I'm wondering if she'll be charged with aiding and abetting for giving him a head start before calling the Police about the shooting?

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:03 am

I am reading this thread for the first time. I kept reading thinking the last posted article would say he was found. If I was a betting woman I would bet he is dead. I am astounded that LE gave up the search.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:16 am

agreed

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Cadaver dogs hunt for fugitive Eugene Palmer in New York park after report of foul odor

Post by raine1953 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:46 am

Authorities are using cadaver dogs to search a section of a vast New York state park Wednesday for a 73-year-old fugitive suspected of gunning down his daughter-in-law three weeks ago before disappearing into the wilderness.
Haverstraw Police Chief Charles Miller told FoxNews.com that a hiker reported smelling a foul odor Tuesday in an area of Harriman State Park, a 46,000-acre woodland filled with caves and abandoned root cellars that straddles Rockland and Orange counties.
The report prompted police to scour the woods Wednesday morning for any sign of Eugene Palmer, of Haverstraw, N.Y., who allegedly shot and killed his son's estranged wife, 39-year-old Tammy Palmer, a mother of two, in what family members said was a bitter domestic dispute.
Palmer disappeared Sept. 24, a couple hours after police say he gunned down his daughter-in-law outside her Haverstraw home. Authorities believe Palmer, a retired park ranger and avid hunter, fled into Harriman State Park. So far, police have found no trace of him in the vast state forest.
On Tuesday, authorities discovered a body in woods in Orange County, but Miller said the individual is not Eugene Palmer. He described the person as a "young, Hispanic male," whose name has not been released.
Miller said he is unsure whether Palmer, who is diabetic and who suffered a heart attack last year, is carrying medication with him. Police said they believe he is armed with a shotgun and rifle because the weapons were found missing from his home.
Survival experts, like Mykel Hawke, said Palmer's chances of staying alive in the park depend on a variety of factors -- including his age and the level of preparation for the outdoors.
"If it was hasty, I give him seven days," said Hawke, a retired U.S. Army Special Forces officer and co-star of the Discovery Channel's "Man, Woman, Wild," which aired until last January.
"If it was planned, he could go 30 days -- given that he’s an outdoorsman and knows the lay of the land," he said.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Son of Haverstraw slay suspect believes dad's dead
By SARAH ARMAGHAN

The son of slaying suspect Eugene Palmer believes his father -- who has been missing since he allegedly killed his daughter-in-law last month -- is no longer alive.
"I believe he's dead, to be quite honest with you," John Palmer told News12 outside the Rockland County Courthouse Thursday morning.
John Palmer, 39, had a 10 a.m. court appearance to face domestic violence charges from August brought on by his now-deceased wife, Tammy Palmer, also 39. The hearing was postponed until Nov. 1.
On Aug. 15, a fight between the couple at their home escalated into a physical altercation, according to court documents. John Palmer is accused of pushing his wife, causing her to fall backward into a bedroom door frame and causing an abrasion to her back. John Palmer has been charged with third-degree misdemeanor assault in that incident.
The next day, John Palmer came back to the Stony Point house on Willow Grove Road, in violation of an order of protection, and attempted to remove property, the criminal complaint states.
John Palmer then allegedly went into his wife's 1990 Ford Explorer, snapped off the gear shifter and threw it onto the passenger seat. He was charged with felony third-degree criminal mischief and first-degree criminal contempt.
"I did nothing wrong, plain and simple," John Palmer told News12 after the hearing was postponed. "All I know: I am an innocent man who has done nothing."
Thomas Zugibe, Rockland County's district attorney, said that although Tammy Palmer is dead, charges are still proceeding.
"The ability to proceed on a case is not dependent on whether or not the victim is still alive," Zugibe said. "We practice evidence-based prosecution, with the biggest obstacle in domestic violence cases is that the victim, after being assaulted or had other crimes committed against them, refuses to cooperate."
Tammy Palmer's family believes she was killed because she refused to drop the charges against her husband, which caused tension between her and her father-in-law. She was killed Sept. 24 at the Stony Point home on Eugene Palmer's property where she had been living with her two children.
Tammy Palmer's mother, Violet Pannirello, declined to comment when reached by phone Thursday.
Extensive searches have been conducted throughout Harriman State Park -- where Eugene Palmer, 73, is believed to have been hiding out.
Teams of officers and cadaver dogs scoured the park Wednesday after receiving a tip from a hiker that he noticed a "strange odor" on a trail, but nothing was found.
Police did not resume searches in the park Thursday.

lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:23 am

Rockland DA to seek indictment against Eugene Palmer

Rockland County law enforcement officials will seek a grand jury indictment against Eugene Palmer, who is the main suspect in the death of his daughter-in-law.
Thomas Zugibe, the county district attorney, said an indictment -- which would result in a warrant -- is needed in order to successfully prosecute Palmer, who has been missing since the shooting on Sept. 24 that left Tammy Palmer dead.
"We're going to seek formal charges by way of an indictment," Zugibe told Newsday. "It's important at this stage because no one knows if he's alive or dead so we have to assume at this point he's still alive."
"We need to be cognizant of our witnesses and our evidence, so we're seeking an indictment to preserve those."
The top charge against Eugene Palmer, 73, would be second-degree murder, but prosecutors are also looking into other charges, such as weapons possession.
"It's also very important that we secure a warrant and have it on national police computers so other agencies nationwide would be aware of the fact he is wanted," Zugibe said. "If he'd be stopped for a traffic infraction, there'd be no reason for them to keep him. It's important for the officers' safety."
Zugibe expects the indictment to come in the next several weeks.
Although Zugibe declined to discuss specifics of the evidence and witnesses he has lined up, he said, "the Town of Haverstraw Police has left no stone unturned."
Tammy Palmer's family believes she was killed because she had brought domestic violence charges against her husband, John Palmer. Eugene Palmer urged his daughter-in-law to drop the case, but she refused, causing heated arguments and tension.
Searches resumed in Harriman State Park last week, where Palmer has been suspected of hiding, but nothing was found. Miller said his officers would not search the park Tuesday and will meet later in the day to discuss further search possibilities.
"Wanted" posters with Eugene Palmer's photo have circulated to police departments across the nation but have not turned up any clues.

lisette

Back to top Go down

Normal Stony Point man charged with shooting his daughter-in-law to death

Post by raine1953 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:43 pm

NEW CITY – A Stony Point man has been indicted by the Rockland County grand jury on a charge of murder for shooting his daughter-in-law to death with a shotgun.

Eugene Palmer, 73, of Willow Grove Road in Stony Point remains at large since the September 24 shooting. He is charged with firing two rounds into Tammy Palmer, 39, during a domestic confrontation. Palmer fled the area after killing the mother of two and hid out in Harriman State Park.

District Attorney Thomas Zugibe said the indictment preserves the testimonial evidence in the case.

“We don’t know if he is alive or dead, but what if he emerges five years from now,” Zugibe said. “It’s important to have completed the investigation and submitted the matter to a grand jury because we wanted to memorialize and document the evidence. We don’t know if it is years down the road where we see him again and if he suddenly appeared we needed to have a warrant out there signed by a county court judge so that if he was picked up in upstate New York or anywhere in the world, the police would have the ability to detain him.”

Haverstraw Police Chief Charles Miller said his officers are continuing an “aggressive search” for Palmer.

If convicted, Palmer faces up to 25 years to life in state prison.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Eugene Palmer's son, in custody battle, told no alcohol at all by judge

Post by raine1953 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:04 am

NEW CITY — Even though John Palmer did nothing wrong and his children want to spend more time with him, a Rockland Family Court judge emphasized Wednesday that he’s not to drink any alcohol.

Palmer and his lawyer thought Judge William Warren’s original order and comments in court in December meant Palmer couldn’t drink before and during his visits with his two children, ages 14 and 16.

And Palmer said he hasn’t; his children confirmed that through their appointed attorney, Francesca Eugene of Rockland Legal Aid.

Eugene told the judge that the youngest child, John, wants to spend more unsupervised time with his father.

She said the daughter, Rosemarie, says she’s enjoying her time with Palmer.

John Palmer is fighting for custody with the parents of his wife, Tammy, 39, who was shot dead by Palmer’s 73-year-old father, Eugene, on Sept. 24 at the family home off Willow Grove Road in Haverstraw. Eugene Palmer escaped into the woods of Harriman State Park. He has not been found, with his family believing the man ailing with diabetes and a heart condition died in the woods. Police say they can’t close the investigation without a body.

Warren ruled the two children were neglected, without declaring a cause, and will hear testimony Feb. 15 toward granting custody to Palmer or his in-laws, John and Violet Pannierello.

In the meantime, Palmer has unsupervised visitation with his children.

However, Assistant County Attorney Barbara Wilmit told Warren that John Palmer had alcohol in his system during two recent tests. The county filed a violation order against Palmer.

Palmer’s lawyer, Ralph Heavner, said his understanding of the judge’s order didn’t prohibit his client from drinking when he was not with his children. Heavner said there was no accusation that Palmer had been drinking in front of his children or doing any illegal drugs.

Warren said the intent of his order was Palmer should not drink, asking Heavner if he was under the impression his client was permitted to drink alcohol when not with his children.

Warren said the fact Palmer must undergo testing means he can’t drink at all. He reminded Palmer that he’s involved in a custody battle and his drinking alcohol could be used against him.

Warren changed the order to no drinking and told Palmer he could face six months in jail if he violated the order.

raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Warren ruled the two children were neglected, without declaring a cause, and will hear testimony Feb. 15 toward granting custody to Palmer or his in-laws, John and Violet Pannierello.

In the meantime, Palmer has unsupervised visitation with his children.

However, Assistant County Attorney Barbara Wilmit told Warren that John Palmer had alcohol in his system during two recent tests. The county filed a violation order against Palmer.

Palmer’s lawyer, Ralph Heavner, said his understanding of the judge’s order didn’t prohibit his client from drinking when he was not with his children. Heavner said there was no accusation that Palmer had been drinking in front of his children or doing any illegal drugs.

Warren said the intent of his order was Palmer should not drink, asking Heavner if he was under the impression his client was permitted to drink alcohol when not with his children.

Warren said the fact Palmer must undergo testing means he can’t drink at all. He reminded Palmer that he’s involved in a custody battle and his drinking alcohol could be used against him.

Warren changed the order to no drinking and told Palmer he could face six months in jail if he violated the order.
Maybe the children were neglected because Palmer was seriously intoxicated around his children?? Just a guess. Under these horrific circumstances, he should NOT be drinking around his kids and it scares me that he was granted unsupervised visitation. I would hate to see this end up like what happened to The Powell children. He NEEDS supervised visitation. Period.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Slain Haverstraw woman's widower in court over custody of children

Post by raine1953 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:07 pm

NEW CITY — Violet Pannirello made a case for keeping custody of her two teen grandchildren Monday in an emotional court hearing that brought her face to face with their father, who Pannirello said she once loved like the “son she never had.”

John Palmer, 39, has been fighting for custody of his children since late September, when his wife and their mother, Tammy Palmer, was shot and killed at the family home in Haverstraw.

Authorities believe Palmer’s father, Eugene, shot Tammy at the Willow Grove Road property before disappearing into the woods of Harriman State Park. Eugene Palmer hasn’t been since and is believed dead by family members. He’s been indicted on a second-degree murder charge.

Tammy Palmer’s mother, the petite, white-haired Pannirello, 72, told Judge William Warren and the court Monday that her grandchildren are enjoying life with their grandparents while having regular visits with their father, and they want things to stay that way.

Rosemarie, 16, and John Jr., 14, have lived in the Pannirello’s three-bedroom home since their mother’s death. Pannirello told the court she and her husband, John, also share their home with their daughter Denise, who is Tammy Palmer’s sister, and her son, another Pannirello grandchild, Nicholas, 20. His father, Clarence Palmer, who is John Palmer’s brother, attended the hearing.

During the hearing, Pannirello answered questions about why she and her husband should retain custody of the teens from Julie Gamache of the Center for Safety and Change, who is representing the couple in the custody dispute.

While Rosemarie and John Jr. have struggled in school in recent months, their physical and emotional needs are being taken care of in a way that wasn’t happening when they lived with their father, Pannirello said.

She contrasted the supportive environment of her home, where the refrigerator is always full, with the alcohol-fueled fighting and lack of family dinners that she said characterized the kids’ life before their mother died, when they lived on property owned by Eugene Palmer.

“It’s stable in my house,” Pannirello said. “They’re loved. They have what they want. They’re in need for nothing.”

In the month before her death, Tammy Palmer had sought to bar her husband from their home after the couple argued over her allegations he was having an affair. On Aug. 15, Haverstraw police charged John Palmer with third-degree assault after his wife said he pushed her against a door, bruising her back.

Monday, Pannirello and her husband wiped away tears as photos of those injuries were shown in court.

Later, Pannirello said she worried about Palmer’s unsavory friends, or “clan,” and his alcohol use if the children were to live with him. Earlier in the hearing, assistant county attorney Barbara Wilmit called witnesses to testify that Palmer twice tested positive for alcohol in January. A court order prohibits him from drinking or using illegal drugs, though there’s been no indication that he’s drank in front of his children or used illegal drugs.

Both teens see grief counselors and John Jr., known as “John-John,” also goes to behavioral therapy because he has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Pannirello said.

Still, “They’re doing things they never did before,” she said, describing the teens’ trips with other family members to the mall, the movies and restaurants.

Pannirello testified that John Palmer hasn’t provided any child support for his son and daughter and that the couple takes care of them primarily with their income from Social Security checks and a pension.

Palmer, who was seated directly across from his estranged mother-in-law, became tearful when Pannirello explained the evolution of her relationship with him.

“I loved him,” she said, calling Palmer the “son I never had.” But the long-troubled relationship between John and Tammy Palmer followed by Tammy’s violent death changed that, she said.

“I don’t want to know him. I don’t want to know his name. I don’t want to see him. I don’t want nothing to do with him,” she said.

At the same time, she said she and her husband were supportive of their grandchildren visiting with their father. The kids return from visits with Palmer acting “fine,” she said.

In recent weeks, the attorney for the children, Francesca Eugene, told the court both Rosemarie and John-John enjoy their time with their father and wanted more unsupervised visits.

Palmer’s attorney Ralph Heavner said neither he nor his client would comment following Monday’s hearing.

Heavner is expected to cross examine Gamache’s witnesses when the hearing resumes Tuesday at 9:30 a.m.

The custody dispute between the Pannirellos and John Palmer is unfolding parallel to Palmer’s criminal case in Haverstraw Town Court in which he is charged with second-degree criminal contempt and fourth-degree criminal mischief.

Police say he damaged his late wife’s car and violated a court order to stay away from the house following the couple’s fight in August. He’s due in Haverstraw Town Court Thursday to face those charges.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Tammy Palmer case: Son of fugitive says 'it's been hell'

Post by raine1953 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 am

HAVERSTRAW — Clarence Palmer won’t give up until he finds his father’s remains.

Six months ago on Sunday, Eugene Palmer, 73, drove into the woods of Harriman State Park after his daughter-in-law, Tammy Palmer, was shot dead from three shotgun blasts on the family property off Willow Grove Road.

Eugene Palmer has been charged with murder and has yet to be found.

“I am going to find his remains until it kills me,” Clarence Palmer said, adding he only stopped because of the weather. “I could walk on top of him and not know he was there with all the snow.”

With spring-like weather breaking through the winter haze, the 50-year-old Palmer has returned to the woods, with friends and family. The Ramapo Dog Rescue Association is assisting, with five German shepherds and trackers working the woods on Sunday.

The six months have been agonizing for the Palmer family, as well as Tammy Palmer’s parents, John and Violet Pannirello, who declined to comment Sunday.

Clarence Palmer and friends spoke of the family’s pain about the deaths and the negative way they feel they’ve been portrayed in court custody fights and in the media.

The Pannirello and Palmer families have a history. Tammy Palmer has two children with John Palmer, another son of Eugene Palmer, a retired Teamster who worked for a concrete company and built the two houses on the family property. Clarence Palmer and Tammy Palmer’s sister Denise have an adult son.

“It’s been hell,” Clarence Palmer said Sunday. “I just want to bring his remains out and put him to rest.”

As Clarence Palmer and friends talked about his father, the families and the shooting on Sept. 24, children played Sunday. The family’s 31/2 acres — bordered by Willow Grove Road and a creek — are on the border of Harriman State Park.

The land has been with the family for generations. Eugene Palmer built the two houses on the property, with his “blood and sweat,” his son said.

Clarence Palmer said he doesn’t know what happened Sept. 24. But he and friends said the shooting was out of character for Eugene Palmer.

They said Tammy Palmer taunted him and on Sept. 24 he snapped and the shooting occurred. He drove a battered truck into the woods wearing his slippers, leaving his breakfast on the table in his kitchen and cash with his sister to pay his taxes. He told his niece he had shot Tammy Palmer.

They don’t believe Eugene Palmer survived long in the wilderness. He had a heart condition, diabetes, suffered a series of minor strokes, experienced circulation and breathing issues, and possibly some dementia.

“If the police didn’t botch the hunt in the beginning, my father’s remains would be where they belong,” Clarence Palmer said. “They were afraid of going into the woods; afraid of a man with a shotgun, supposedly. If he wanted to be found, he would have finished himself off here. He went into the woods. I think he fell into a diabetic coma.”

Police Chief Charles Miller has said the police did all they could to find the elder Palmer, believing he ran off into the woods. They searched with dogs, as well as foot patrols and helicopters.

A shotgun was recently found under leaves near the houses, so he may not have been armed when he went into the woods. Miller said ballistic reports have not returned on the weapon.

Kenny Rose, 55, said Sunday that he thinks he knows where to find Eugene Palmer. Rose said he has known the family since he was 10. He and Clarence Palmer raced stock cars, saying, “We built them, raced them and crashed them.”

“This is a tragedy for both families,” added Sandy Mirque, who has been published in American Miniaturist, a magazine for dollhouses. She said she has been friends with Tammy Palmer and her sister, Denise.

Clarence Palmer and his family also take issue with the way his family has been portrayed in the media.

“They make us look like we live in a trailer park,” he said. “We’re not on social services. We’re working people.”

The house John and Tammy lived in had wood floors, comfortable living space and a deck overlooking an expansive yard by a creek. Photos of the Palmer children graced the walls.

“You are not dealing with a bunch of hillbillies,” Mirque said. “They’ve gotten a bad rap.”

Clarence Palmer said he feels his brother John is being falsely portrayed as a result of Tammy Palmer’s parents, John and Violet Pannirello, taking him into Rockland County Family Court to fight for custody of his two children.

The issues in Family Court have centered on John Palmer’s drinking and the fighting with his late wife, as well as her accusation that he shoved her against a door. Police reports show that days before the shooting, Eugene Palmer filed charges against Tammy Palmer and asked the Haverstraw police to remove her from the property. She had filed charges against him as well as against John Palmer.

“He’s done absolutely nothing wrong,” Clarence Palmer said of his brother. “This is all about our father. He (John) has lost his wife and father and now his kids all in one day.”

Clarence Palmer said people give him strange looks at restaurants or on the streets of north Rockland County.

“People think we are cavemen or heathens,” he said. “We’re not womanizers. We have kids. This affects the entire family, when they print and say this derogatory stuff. Do we live a simple life? Yes. Do we pay taxes? Yes. Do we own our own homes? Yes.”

Clarence Palmer said there has been a feud with the Pannirellos, whom he called decent people but who are not acting in the best interests of their daughter’s children. He denies accusations that his brother didn’t provide for his children.

“It’s a personal vendetta against my family,” he said. “They are good people. They are older. They are not the best-suited for the kids.”

Clarence Palmer said his brother and Tammy Palmer agreed to live separate lives but would continue to raise their two children together. Most of the family, he said, knew about the couple’s living situation.

“My father is old-school,” Clarence Palmer said. “He believed in married till death do you part. He found out about things they were doing. My father had a love-hate relationship with Tammy. At the end of the day, my father always said she was a good mother.”

Clarence Palmer said he knows it’s his family’s job to find his father.

“This is a heartache and it’s a loss,” he said. “How can people glorify tragedy? I don’t condone what happened with Tammy. He was my father. I love him dearly. He won’t rest in peace until we find him.”
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:20 am

cryingagain

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal New York murder suspect thought dead after wilderness escape may be alive, police say

Post by raine1953 on Sun May 05, 2013 1:20 pm

While Palmer's sons claim their father -- a severe diabetic -- died in the woods, authorities tell FoxNews.com they suspect he escaped the park, and they've recently launched an international manhunt through Interpol to track him down.
"I don't believe he's in that park. He's been out of that park since September," said Sgt. George Lutz of the Haverstraw Police Department. "We are proactively looking for Mr. Palmer using every resource we have."

much more, continue at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Video at link
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Reward Offered For Murder Fugitive Eugene Palmer, Who Fled Into N.Y. Forest In 2012

Post by NiteSpinR on Mon May 26, 2014 10:53 pm

April 25, 2014

A 75-year-old fugitive who escaped into a vast New York forest after allegedly murdering his daughter-in-law may well be alive some 19 months later, police said Friday, while confirming a reward is being offered for information leading to his arrest.

Eugene Palmer, of Stony Point, N.Y., is wanted in the Sept. 24, 2012, shooting death of his daughter-in-law, Tammy Palmer, in what authorities have described as a premeditated murder.

Palmer waited for his 39-year-old daughter-in-law to place her to two children on a school bus before shooting her three times with a bolt action shotgun as she walked up the driveway toward her home, police said. Palmer, a retired part-time park ranger, then fled into Harriman State Park -- a 46,000-acre stretch of woodland filled with caves, root cellars and abandoned mine shafts that borders the man's home.

"I believe he went into those woods and eventually came out," Sgt. George Lutz of the Haverstraw Police Department told FoxNews.com on Friday. Lutz declined to elaborate further on that theory or how Palmer, who was on heart medication and said to be in poor health could survive.

When asked if he suspects Palmer is still alive, Lutz said, "Of course."

"We are investigating this case as if he's alive," he said. "We have no proof that he's not. We're not going to stop investigating until we have Mr. Palmer or his remains."

Lutz confirmed that a $2,500 New York State Crime Stoppers reward is being offered for information leading to Palmer's arrest and conviction. Lutz said the Haverstraw Police Department were recently approached by Crime Stoppers about a possible reward and accepted, after extensive searches of the park using blood hounds and other methods yielded no sign of Palmer.

Palmer's sons, meanwhile, have said they believe their father -- a severe diabetic -- died in the woods. Lutz said Friday that no remains have been found despite searches in the park where Palmer might have sought shelter.

Hours after the shooting, police found Palmer's abandoned pickup truck on an old fire road about a quarter mile into the park. An extensive manhunt ensued, using air and foot patrols as well as bloodhounds. A "hit" was detected by one of the dogs, leading police to a campsite within the park, but the scent "went cold" at that location, authorities said.

Anyone with information on the case is urged to call the Haverstraw Police Department at 845-354-1500 or 1-866-313-TIPS (8477).

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue May 27, 2014 9:14 pm

He Still hasn't been found. WOW!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum