Texas teen allegedly kills mom and sister, then describes slayings to 911 operator/Jake Evans, 17, has been charged with capital murder in the deaths of his mother and 15-year-old sister.

Go down

Normal Texas teen allegedly kills mom and sister, then describes slayings to 911 operator/Jake Evans, 17, has been charged with capital murder in the deaths of his mother and 15-year-old sister.

Post by raine1953 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 pm

ALEDO, Texas — A chilling recording of a 911 call captured a 17-year-old Texas boy telling the operator in a calm, monotone voice that he had just shot his mother and sister multiple times.

Jake Evans, 17, has been charged with capital murder in the deaths of his mother and 15-year-old sister and remained jailed Friday without bond.

The double slaying in the family's upscale home in Aledo, about 20 miles west of Fort Worth, happened while Evans' father was out of town on business and his two older sisters were not home. The motive remains "a big mystery," Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler said Friday.

During a 25-minute call to a 911 operator that started at about 12:30 a.m. Thursday, Evans calmly says he just shot his mother and sister with a .22 revolver. He answers "yes" when asked if he's sure they are dead.

"It's weird," he says as the operator continues asking questions. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."

He adds that he could have shot "pretty much anybody." When asked why, he says first that he doesn't know but then says he doesn't like people's attitudes.

Evans tells the Parker County 911 operator that his mother and sister were rude, but he also says his sister, Mallory, had a really sweet side.

"This is probably selfish of me to say, but to me, I felt like they were suffocating me in a way," he says. "Obviously, you know, I'm pretty — I guess — evil."

Evans describes shooting his mother several times and then, as his sister screams, shooting her in the head three times. He recalls apologizing to her and telling her to "hold still ... that, you know, I was just going to just make it go away."

Toward the end of the call but before deputies arrive at his house, Evans tells the operator that he's "going to be messed up." He says he's worried about having nightmares and asks if there's medication to treat that.

"I don't mean to sound like a wimp or anything, but this is — wow. I've never done anything violent in my life, you know?" he says. Later, he's heard taking deep breaths, as the operator has instructed. "I just thought it would be quick, you know? I didn't want them to feel any pain. That's why I used a gun, but it's like everything just went wrong."

Fowler said Evans was the only suspect in the deaths.

Evans and his sister Mallory were being home-schooled. Evans had played on the golf team before withdrawing from Aledo High School in January. He played football in middle school.

Mallory Evans "was a sweet child that will be missed by her friends and school family," Aledo schools superintendent Doug Manning said in a statement.

Jami Evans, 48, was an elementary teacher and assistant principal for the Aledo school system for 15 years, and "her dedication to her students and her love of learning was an inspiration to all who knew her," Manning said.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This undated booking photograph provided by the Parker County Sheriff's Department shows 17-year-old Jake Evans of Aledo, Texas. Authorities say Evans shot his mother, 48-year-old Jami Evans, and his 15-year-old sister, Mallory, at the family's upscale home near Aledo, about 20 miles west of Fort Worth. (AP Photo/Parker County Sheriff's Department)
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Teen calls 911 to report mother, sister dead: 'I hate the feeling of killing someone'

Post by raine1953 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:48 pm

A Parker County, Texas, teen has been arrested on suspicion of double murder after he called 911 and said he shot and killed his mother and sister.

According to police, 17-year-old Jake Evans called 911 at about 12:30 a.m. Thursday and said he'd used a .22 revolver to shoot and kill both his 48-year-old mother, Jamie Evans, and his 15-year-old sister, Mallory.
"It just kind of happened," Evans told the 911 operator in an eerily calm voice. "I've been kind of, uh, planning on killing for a while now."
When asked if he meant the two of them or just anybody, Evans responded: "Pretty much anybody."
A short time later, Parker County sheriff's deputies arrived at the Evans' family home in Annetta, a town of about 1,700 west of Fort Worth, and took him into custody without incident.
"I guess this is really selfish to say but, to me, I felt like they were just suffocating me in a way. I don't know," Evans said during the 911 call.

"Obviously, I am pretty, I guess, evil," he said.
Evans is charged with capital murder. A judge denied him bond.
"Just to let you know, I hate the feeling of killing someone, you know," Evans said in the 911 call. "I'm going to be messed up."
The teen's father was out of town on business when the killings took place, police said. NBC 5 has been told that the father raced home from Washington, D.C.
Stay informed with the latest headlines; sign up for our newsletter
Leslie Richardson, a family friend, described Evans as quiet and gentle.
"Everybody knew him as just being the quiet kid ... but he was really sweet and gentle," she said.
NBC 5 has learned that Evans' mother was a teacher and assistant principal in the Aledo Independent School District for 15 years before leaving in 2004.
"I mean, she was kind of like a second mom," Richardson said. "They were just a really good family and, I mean, my whole family was close to them, so I wish I could just say that I love them."
Friends described Mallory Evans as pretty and sweet.
She and her brother previously had been students in the Aledo ISD but were home-schooled.
The family has two other daughters who were not home at the time of the killings. One of the daughters was scheduled to come home from college this weekend for a visit.
Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler said authorities believe Evans acted alone and that there is no evidence implicating any additional suspects.
The double homicide is being investigated by the Texas Rangers and Parker County Sheriff's Criminal Investigation Division.
Aledo ISD released this statement Thursday afternoon:

Aledo ISD is deeply saddened to learn of the death of a former employee and a former student.
Jami Evans was a dedicated elementary teacher and assistant principal who worked in Aledo ISD for 15 years serving students at both Coder and Stuard Elementary from 1989 through 2004. Her dedication to her students and her love of learning was an inspiration to all who knew her.
We also mourn the death of Mallory Evans, a former elementary and intermediate school student. Mallory attended Stuard Elementary and McAnally Intermediate School. She was a sweet child that will be missed by her friends and school family.
The suspect in the shootings, Jacob Evans, is a former Aledo High School student who withdrew from school in January 2012 to be homeschooled. He attended Aledo schools from elementary school until his withdrawal in January. He played football in middle school and played on the golf team in high school.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Evans family in this difficult time.

This is a MUST SEE video - it has part of the 911 call on it.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Texas teen allegedly kills mom and sister, then describes slayings to 911 operator/Jake Evans, 17, has been charged with capital murder in the deaths of his mother and 15-year-old sister.

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 pm

ANNETTA SOUTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Authorities in Parker County said that 17-year-old Jake Evans has been arrested and will be charged with capital murder in connection with the shooting deaths of his 48-year-old mother and 15-year-old sister.

Deputies from the Parker County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call early Thursday, just after midnight, in the 100 block of River Creek Lane, in Annetta South. The caller reportedly identified himself as Jake Evans and told officials that he had just shot his mother, who was later identified as Jamie Evans, and his sister, who was not identified.

“The 911 operator here at our center immediately dispatched the Sheriff’s Office out here and kept the caller on the line for a good 20 minutes while the officers were en route,” Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler explained.

911: Is there any reason that you were so angry with your mother and your sister?

Caller: Uh, I don’t know. I wasn’t… it’s weird. I wasn’t really angry with them, it just kind of happened. I’ve been kind of, uh, planning on, uh, killing for a while now.

911: The two of them or just anybody?

Caller: Pretty much anybody.

Later in the call Evans described how he shot his family members.

Caller: I told my sister that my mom needed her. She was in her room and she came out of her room, uh, and I, I shot her. She rolled down the stairs and I shot her again. And then I went down and I shot my mom about maybe three or four times.

Caller: I’ll never forget my sister; she came down the stairs and she was screaming and I was telling her that I’m sorry but I told her to just hold still because I was going to make it go away, you know? But she just kept on freaking out. And finally she just fell down and I shot her in the head.

In the conversation with the operator Evans added that he now hates guns and the feeling of killing someone.

Caller: I thought it would be quick, you know? I didn’t want them to feel any pain that’s why I used the gun. It was like everything went wrong.

Evans then went on to tell the operator he was worried what he had done would give him nightmares. The emergency worker on the phone assured him he would get both medical and psychological help.

Once at the scene, deputies found the two bodies and a cooperative suspect. “He complied with the instructions he was given over the phone by the 911 person here at our center and went out with his hands visible, met with the deputies and was taken into custody,” Fowler said.

The suspect’s father was out of town at the time of the killings, according to authorities.

The teenager told both the 911 dispatcher and arresting deputies that he used a .22-caliber revolver to carry out the murders. According to a police affidavit, upon searching the house, a .22-caliber revolver was found on the kitchen table.

While officials believe that Evans acted alone, saying there is “no evidence implicating additional suspects,” they do not know why the boy killed his family members. “We’re still trying to make sense of it,” Fowler said. “Don’t ask me what a motive is, because I don’t know.”

Parker County officials said that both Jake Evans and his younger sister were home schooled.

The shootings came as a shock to area resident Karen Miller, who said the neighborhood had never seen anything more than the occasional burglary, and certainly nothing this violent. “I just heard about it,” she said adding, “It gave me goosebumps. So it’s very shocking for me.”

Sheriff Fowler has concerns about Evans mental state. “The mystery deepens in what this young man is troubled by that would precipitate such an act as this.”

Additional details about the exact injuries and the causes of death from Jamie Evans and her daughter will not be known until the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office completes a full autopsy.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Texas teen allegedly kills mom and sister, then describes slayings to 911 operator/Jake Evans, 17, has been charged with capital murder in the deaths of his mother and 15-year-old sister.

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:56 pm

Jake Evans says he killed his sister, Mallory, 15, and his mother. Then he calmly called 911. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now," he told the dispatcher.

A family photo showing Jake's mother Jamie, far left, and his sister Mallory, center right, both of whom he said he killed. His other two sisters, center left and far right, were not in the house at the time.

Last edited by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Texas Teen Tells 911 It Was 'Weird' to Kill His Mother and Sister

Post by raine1953 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:58 pm

In a chilling 911 call, Texas teen Jake Evans spent 20 minutes calmly recounting how he shot and killed his mother and sister, calling himself "evil."

"It's weird," an even-voiced Evans told the 911 dispatcher. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."

Evans, 17, of Parker County, Texas, was arrested after he called police early Thursday morning to report he had killed his mother Jami Evans, 48, and his 15-year-old sister Mallory Evans.

"I just thought it would be quick, you know? I didn't want them to feel any pain," he said. "That's why I used a gun, but it was like everything went wrong."

He has been charged with capital murder, according to court documents, and is being held without bond.

Evans did not give a specific reason for the killings, but said that he didn't "really like people's attitudes" and said people were "verbally rude to each other."

"I guess this is really selfish to say, but to me, I felt like they were just suffocating me in a way," he said calmly. "I don't know.Obviously, you know, I'm pretty, I guess, evil."

He told the operator that he told his sister that his mother needed to see her. When his sister came out of her room, Evan said he shot her. She rolled down the stairs and he shot her again, he said.

"I'll never forget this. My sister, she came down the stairs and she was screaming and I was telling her that I'm sorry but to just hold still--that, you know, I was just going to make it go away," he said. "But she just kept on freaking out, but finaly she she fell down, and I got her in the head about, probably, three times."

He said he then shot his mom three or four times with a .22 revolver. The gun belonged to a family member, according to ABC News' Dallas-Forth Worth affilate WFAA.

"Just to let you know, I hate the feeling of killing someone. I'm going to be messed up," he told the operator. "I'm really worried about nightmares and stuff like that. Are there any type of medications for that and stuff?"

"I don't mean to sound like a wimp or anything, but this is, wow, I've never, like, done anything violent in my whole life," he added.

When police arrived at the home, Evans was standing outside with his hands in the air and was arrested without incident, according to police. Authorities believe Evans' father was out of town on a business trip when the shootings occurred.

Jami Evans was a teacher and an assistant principal at schools in the Aledo Independent School District from 1989 to 2004.

"Aledo ISD is deeply saddened to learn of the death of a former employee and a former student," the school district said in a statement. "Her dedication to her students and her love of learning was an inspiration to all who knew her."

"We also mourn the death of Mallory Evans, a former elementary and intermediate school student," the statement said. "She was a sweet child that will be missed by her friends and school family."

Friends were shocked to hear about what Jake Evans had done. They described him as a nice and shy student who was an avid golfer. He played golf for Aledo High School where he was a student until he and his sister withdrew in January to be home schooled.

"I just want people to know this action is not how we all know him," Cole Wooten, who said he had been in school with Evans since kindergarten, told WFAA.
"I really liked him," classmate Clint McClellen said. "Nicest kid. Quiet, shy, kept to himself, but I liked that about him."

Dr. Laurence Steinberg, an expert in psychological development during adolescence, said that it is common for others to say that there did not seem to be anything wrong with a young perpetrator. He said signs of trouble often surface in the days following an event, as an investigation unfolds.

"It's extremely unlikely that a perfectly normal 17-year-old kid would take out a shotgun and kill members of his family," Steinberg told ABCNews.com.

"There's a little bit in what he said that sounds a little psycho-pathological in a sense that he does not seem to have the emotional response to what he did," he said. "Being callous and unemotional is a classic sign of a psychopath, so maybe he has some tendencies in that direction."

But Steinberg cautioned that sometimes it can be difficult to differentiate between shock and someone who is just unemotional.

|
|

raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 pm

His affect is completely FLAT.

There HAD to be warning signs, red flags, that Something was Very wrong with this kids. OMG!!!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Jake Evans, 17, tells 911 he shot and killed mother, sister — charged with murder

‘I am pretty, I guess, evil ... whatever,’ the homeschooled Texas teen says to the dispatcher when he calls.

BY MICHAEL WALSH / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2012, 7:12 PM

Jake Evans says he killed his sister, Mallory, 15, and his mother. Then he calmly called 911. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now," he told the dispatcher.

Jake Evans, 17, called 911 to say that he shot and killed his mother and sister with a .22 revolver in the family's Aledo, Texas, home.

"I am pretty, I guess, evil...whatever," he told the police dispatcher, during the 911 call around 12:30 a.m. on Friday.

When asked why he killed his mother Jamie, 48, and sister Mallory, 15, Jake explained that he was not even particularly mad at them.

"I don't know…it's weird," Jake said. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."

His other two sisters were not in the house at the time.

But he did eventually stumble through a confused explanation of his motive. "I don't really like people's attitude (sic). They're … verbally rude to each other and stuff like that," the homeschooled teenager said.

Jake was concerned that thoughts of the murders might torment him and asked the dispatcher if she knew of any medications that might help, reported The Dallas Morning News.

"I'm really worried about, like, nightmares and stuff like that," he said. "I don't mean to sound like a wimp or anything, but this is, wow, I've never, like, done anything violent in my whole life."

The dispatcher kept Jake on the line for about 25 minutes until Parker County sheriff's deputies arrived at his expensive house in a gated community. The dispatcher then asked Jake to walk outside very slowly with his hands up in the air.

"I don't know…it's weird," Jake Evans told the dispatcher after he called to report he had killed his mother and sister.

Deputies arrested him. He has been charged with capital murder and denied bail, reported NBC DFW.

The Texas Rangers and Parker County Sheriff's Criminal Investigation Division are investigating the case.

Evans mother was a teacher and assistant principal at Aledo Independent School District before retiring in 2004.

His father was out of town on business when the murders occurred but rushed home immediately. Jake has two other sisters who were not home during the killings. One was scheduled to visit from college this weekend.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 pm

TWENTY MINUTES OF TERROR: SELECTED TRANSCRIPT BETWEEN JAKE EVANS AND 911 DISPATCH OPERATOR

911 Dispatch: Parker County 911, where is your emergency?
Jake Evans: Uh, my house.
911: What’s the emergency?
Evans: Uh, I just killed my mom and my sister.
911: What? How did you do that?
Evans: Uh, I shot them with a .22 revolver.
911: Are you sure they’re dead?
Evans: They’re dead.
911: Okay, I want you to stay on the phone with me. Are you alright?
Evans: Yeah, I’m alright. (The gun) is on the kitchen counter.
911: Jake, are you on any medication?
Evans: Uh, no. I’ve been going to the allergist, I’m on allergy medication. Other than Zyrtec and Advil and Pseudoephedrine, I don’t take anything else.
911: Is there any reason that you were so angry at your mother and your sister?
Evans: I don’t know. … It’s weird. I wasn’t even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I’ve been kind of, uh, planning on, uh, killing for a while now.
911: The two of ‘em, or just anybody?
Evans: Pretty much anybody.
911: Why?
Evans: I don’t know. I don’t really like, uh, people’s, uh, attitude. … I think it’s kind of, very, like, you know, emotional. They’re verbally rude to each other and stuff like that. I don’t know. It’s just my family is just kind of really I guess this is really selfish to say, but I felt they were just suffocating me in a way. I don’t know, I’m pretty, I guess, evil…Whatever, I’m sorry.
911: Were your mom and sister in their beds?
Evans: I don’t know. This is going to really mess me up in the future. I told my sister that my mom needed her. She was in her room, and she came out of her room, and I shot her. And she rolled down the stairs and I shot her again. And then I went down and I shot my mom maybe three or four times, but I’ll never forget this. My sister, she came downstairs and she was screaming and I was telling her that I’m sorry but just to hold still – that, you know, I was just going to make it go away. But she kept on freaking out, but she finally fell down and I shot her in the head about, probably, three or four times.
911: Are you in the kitchen?
Evans: Yes.
911: Where’s your dad?
Evans: He’s out of town. Washington, D.C. And, uh, I guess for future reference, I don’t really want to see any of my family members, like visiting or whatever. I just don’t want any type of visitors.
911: You don’t want to hurt yourself, do you?
Evans: Just to let you know, I hate the feeling of killing someone. (Sighs) I’m going to be messed up.
911: You just take a deep breath. We have deputies coming, and they’re going to help you. Just to let you know, we’re going to help you, we’re not going to hurt you.
Evans: I understand if ya’ll want to.
911: No, we’re there to help you, Jake. Everybody thinks we want to do bad things, but right or wrong, we want to help people, and we’re gonna help you. Do you understand that, Jake?
911: Is it a gated community? Is there a gate?
Evans: Uh, yes. You want the password? (He gives her the password)
911: It’s going to be alright, it really is. They’ll be there shortly, won’t be long now. Jake, would you mind turning any of the porch lights on?
Evans: I have turned the front lights on. (pauses) I was thinking of my sister. She was 15.
911: How long ago did (the shootings) happen?
Evans: About, uh, 30 minutes ago. (breathes heavily)
911: You’ll be alright, Jake.
Evans: I’m really worried about, like, nightmares and stuff like that. Are there any times of medications, and stuff?
911: Well, I think there is. I don’t know, I’m not a doctor but … I’m sure your family will get you the support you need.
Evans: I don’t mean to sound like a wimp or anything, but this is, wow, I’ve never, like, done anything violent in my whole life.
911: You don’t sound like a violent person. But um, help will be provided for you. Medical and psychological. That will be provided, so you don’t have to worry about that right now. Take deep breaths for me now, you’re doing fine. In through your nose, and out through your mouth so you don’t hyperventilate, okay?
Evans: (breathing)
911: Good, you sound a lot calmer right now.
Evans: I didn’t want them to feel pain, that’s why I used a gun, but it’s like everything went wrong.
911: Jake, my officers are almost there, would you be willing to walk out on your own?
Evans: Um, yes, I forgot to say before I called, I put the gun on the counter, it’s still loaded.
911: Okay, that’s fine. I’ll stay on the phone until it’s time for you to walk out. Are you on your home phone? Is it cordless?
911: Jake, what I want you do to is walk outside, but when you’re walking outside, stay visible, don’t walk behind any furniture. When you open the front door, put your hands up in the air, just walk very slowly, and walk outside, and keep your hands visible, alright, sweetie? I’ll talk to you later.
Evans: Thank you (puts phone down)
911: You’re welcome.

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

OMG!! The things he said are downright eerie!! I truly think he is insane.

Last edited by Wrapitup on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Click on this link to listen to the Entire 911 call.

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Last edited by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Accused teen was ‘planning on killing'

Posted: Oct 04, 2012 4:16 PM CDT
Updated: Oct 04, 2012 4:55 PM CDT
By: Kevin Boie

ALEDO, Texas -
A Parker County teen accused of fatally shooting his mother and younger sister inside their upscale Aledo home told a 911 operator he had been planning to kill.

Seventeen-year-old Jake Evans placed the 911 call just after 12:30 a.m., telling the call taker in a soft, calm voice that he had used a .22 revolver to kill his 15-year-old sibling and 48-year-old mother, Jami Evans.

However, when asked why he allegedly committed the murders, Evans did not pinpoint a reason.

"I don't know. I wasn't – it's weird – I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."

"The two of them, or just anybody?" asked the female operator.

"Pretty much anybody," Evans replied.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I don't really like people's attitude. They kind of, they're very, like, you know … rude to each other and stuff like that."

Evans went on to tell the woman that he felt his family was "suffocating" him but described himself as being "evil."

He also described how, he said, the shooting unfolded.

"This is really going to mess me up, you know, in the future ... I told my sister that my mom needed her. She was in her room and she came out of her room, and I shot her," Evans said. "She rolled down the stairs. And I shot her again. And then I went down and I shot my mom about, maybe, three or four times."

Evans also described in further detail the exchange he said he had with his sister once she had fallen to the bottom of the staircase.

"I'll never forget this … she was screaming and I was telling her that I'm sorry but to just hold still. You know, I was just going to make it go away, you know, but she was [unintelligible] out. Finally she rolled around and I shot her in the head."

According to Sheriff Larry Fowler, Evans reloaded the .22 revolver at least once during the shootings.

Evans allegedly obtained the gun from his grandfather, a retired Fort Worth police officer who lives nearby.

Responding deputies first found the body of Evans' sister, then the mother. Three other family members, including the teen's two older sisters and his father, Darryl Evans, were not home during the shootings, Fowler said.

Fowler said Jake Evans was enrolled in Aledo High School until this past January, when he abruptly withdrew and began home-schooling. Fowler did not provide a reason why he left school, or a motive for the killings.

Jami Evans was a former first-grade teacher and assistant principal at two Aledo ISD schools. She had been homeschooling her youngest daughter since January 2010.

District superintendent Dan Manning says counseling will be provided at all schools.

According to a news release, Evans was arrested without incident at the house and faces capital murder charges.

video at above link.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:32 pm

The 911 Operator deserves a medal!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Teen suspect viewed slasher film before double murder

Post by raine1953 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:29 pm

WEATHERFORD, Texas — A 17-year-old boy told authorities he watched a violent slasher film three times during the week leading up to the day he killed his sister and mother.

Jake Evans, who has been charged with the double murder, identified the film as Rob Zombie’s "Halloween," a remake of the 1978 horror movie of the same name.

The movie’s main character kills several people as a child and later as an adult, including his sister and another family member.

Shortly after midnight Oct. 4, Evans called 911 from his home and calmly described killing 15-year-old Mallory A. Evans and 48-year-old Jami Diane Evans to the dispatcher during the 25-minute call.

After sheriff's deputies arrived, Evans walked out of the house and surrendered. Authorities found the bodies of his mother and younger sister inside. The murder weapon, a .22-caliber revolver, was located on the kitchen table. Police said Evans had stolen the weapon from his grandfather's house across the street two weeks earlier.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner reported that the victims were killed by multiple gunshots to the head. Evans' father was away on a business trip and an older sister was not home at the time of the shootings.

Evans told the dispatcher he had been planning to kill “pretty much anybody” for a while. In the call to police, he described himself as “I’m pretty, I guess, evil.”

Court documents also disclosed that Evans told police after his arrest that he had searched the web for "the ten most evil teenagers/people" recently.

Asked by the 911 dispatcher if there was a reason he was so angry with his mother and sister, Evans replied: “I don’t know. I wasn’t — it’s weird — I wasn’t even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I had been kind of planning on killing for a while now.”

The 2007 remake of the horror movie classic "Halloween" sold more than $77.5 million worth of tickets worldwide.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by spayneuteryourpets on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Wrapitup wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wow. After hearing that, I'm kind of in shock. He never said he was sorry for killing them. He did say that killing didn't feel good to him. And he said that like he didn't know that killing wouldn't feel good. Most of us already know that. But nothing about how his mom and sister must have felt. Or how they didn't deserve it. He said he wanted it to be quick and everything went wrong. I guess that means he didn't want them to suffer. He was looking to kill anybody. Apparently, it was nothing personal. He said he did it because people were emotional and rude to each other. I'm going to be thinking about this for a long time.
spayneuteryourpets

Back to top Go down

Post by spayneuteryourpets on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Wrapitup wrote:Accused teen was ‘planning on killing'

Posted: Oct 04, 2012 4:16 PM CDT
Updated: Oct 04, 2012 4:55 PM CDT
By: Kevin Boie

ALEDO, Texas -
A Parker County teen accused of fatally shooting his mother and younger sister inside their upscale Aledo home told a 911 operator he had been planning to kill.

Seventeen-year-old Jake Evans placed the 911 call just after 12:30 a.m., telling the call taker in a soft, calm voice that he had used a .22 revolver to kill his 15-year-old sibling and 48-year-old mother, Jami Evans.

However, when asked why he allegedly committed the murders, Evans did not pinpoint a reason.

"I don't know. I wasn't – it's weird – I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."

"The two of them, or just anybody?" asked the female operator.

"Pretty much anybody," Evans replied.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I don't really like people's attitude. They kind of, they're very, like, you know … rude to each other and stuff like that."

Evans went on to tell the woman that he felt his family was "suffocating" him but described himself as being "evil."

He also described how, he said, the shooting unfolded.

"This is really going to mess me up, you know, in the future ... I told my sister that my mom needed her. She was in her room and she came out of her room, and I shot her," Evans said. "She rolled down the stairs. And I shot her again. And then I went down and I shot my mom about, maybe, three or four times."

Evans also described in further detail the exchange he said he had with his sister once she had fallen to the bottom of the staircase.

"I'll never forget this … she was screaming and I was telling her that I'm sorry but to just hold still. You know, I was just going to make it go away, you know, but she was [unintelligible] out. Finally she rolled around and I shot her in the head."

According to Sheriff Larry Fowler, Evans reloaded the .22 revolver at least once during the shootings.

Evans allegedly obtained the gun from his grandfather, a retired Fort Worth police officer who lives nearby.

Responding deputies first found the body of Evans' sister, then the mother. Three other family members, including the teen's two older sisters and his father, Darryl Evans, were not home during the shootings, Fowler said.

Fowler said Jake Evans was enrolled in Aledo High School until this past January, when he abruptly withdrew and began home-schooling. Fowler did not provide a reason why he left school, or a motive for the killings.

Jami Evans was a former first-grade teacher and assistant principal at two Aledo ISD schools. She had been homeschooling her youngest daughter since January 2010.

District superintendent Dan Manning says counseling will be provided at all schools.

According to a news release, Evans was arrested without incident at the house and faces capital murder charges.

video at above link.

OMG He reloaded the gun. This is so scary because he seems like a nice kid. I hope his attorney doesn't go for insanity. I hope the kid is tried as an adult. I hope he is locked away forever. There is something wrong or missing in him that cannot be fixed with treatment.
spayneuteryourpets

Back to top Go down

Post by spayneuteryourpets on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Wrapitup wrote:The 911 Operator deserves a medal!!

You are right. She did an excellent job. I wouldn't have been so calm. She kept control of the situation.
spayneuteryourpets

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtle on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Evans and his sister Mallory were being home-schooled. Evans had played on the golf team before withdrawing from Aledo High School in January. He played football in middle school.

Mallory Evans "was a sweet child that will be missed by her friends and school family," Aledo schools superintendent Doug Manning said in a statement.

Jami Evans, 48, was an elementary teacher and assistant principal for the Aledo school system for 15 years, and "her dedication to her students and her love of learning was an inspiration to all who knew her," Manning said.

Did I miss something? Who was home-schooling the kids? And, why were they being home- schooled all of a sudden?
Turtle

Back to top Go down

Post by spayneuteryourpets on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Turtle wrote:Evans and his sister Mallory were being home-schooled. Evans had played on the golf team before withdrawing from Aledo High School in January. He played football in middle school.

Did I miss something? Who was home-schooling the kids? And, why were they being home- schooled all of a sudden?

Good Point, Turtle. If mom's at work, who was homeschooling the kids? And why both of them?
spayneuteryourpets

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:44 am

NBC 5 has learned that Evans' mother was a teacher and assistant principal in the Aledo Independent School District for 15 years before leaving in 2004.
"I mean, she was kind of like a second mom," Richardson said. "They were just a really good family and, I mean, my whole family was close to them, so I wish I could just say that I love them."
She and her brother previously had been students in the Aledo ISD but were home-schooled.
I don't remember anywhere reading WHY these kids were pulled out of school to be home schooled.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by spayneuteryourpets on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:10 pm

raine1953 wrote:NBC 5 has learned that Evans' mother was a teacher and assistant principal in the Aledo Independent School District for 15 years before leaving in 2004.
I don't remember anywhere reading WHY these kids were pulled out of school to be home schooled.

Thank you Raine,
The mother worked for the school district for 15 years, I wonder why she would leave her job when she would get retirement in just 5 years more? I think that's true. Any school teachers here?
joan+20
spayneuteryourpets

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtle on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm a teacher! Perhaps it was her health? Stress? That comes with that job.
Turtle

Back to top Go down

Post by spayneuteryourpets on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:34 pm

Thank you Turtle,
Are retirement benefits not worth sticking it out for 5 years?
spayneuteryourpets

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtle on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:31 am

Yes, I would say retirement benefits are worth the time unless a person is covered by spouse for ins., and has a 401k or whatever. Someone in the school system can usually bid on other jobs if they need a change.

I can't help but wonder why these apparently active kids were home-schooled at their age and all of a sudden. It has been my experience that home-schooled students usually attend public or private high schools to prepare for college.

This is a hideous murder, and I just don't see it coming out of nowhere.
Turtle

Back to top Go down

Post by spayneuteryourpets on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:21 am

Turtle wrote:Yes, I would say retirement benefits are worth the time unless a person is covered by spouse for ins., and has a 401k or whatever. Someone in the school system can usually bid on other jobs if they need a change.

I can't help but wonder why these apparently active kids were home-schooled at their age and all of a sudden. It has been my experience that home-schooled students usually attend public or private high schools to prepare for college.

This is a hideous murder, and I just don't see it coming out of nowhere.

Yes, something doesn't add up. I can see there may be reasons to homeschool the boy but why remove the girl too?
spayneuteryourpets

Back to top Go down

Normal Parker County teen Jake Evans indicted in family murders

Post by raine1953 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:35 pm

PARKER COUNTY, Texas -
A Parker County grand jury on Friday indicted a 17-year-old boy for the capital murder of his mother and sister.

A court document shows Jake Evans is facing three counts: one for shooting his sister at the top of the stairs, one for shooting her after she rolled down the stairs, and one for fatally shooting his mother.

Evans was eerily calm back in October when he called 911 and confessed to the fatal shootings.

"I just killed my mom and my sister," he said to the dispatcher. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."

According to police documents, the shootings happened shortly after midnight October 4 at the Evans' upscale home in Aledo. When deputies arrived, they found 47-year-old mom Jami and 15-year-old sister Mallory dead inside, and a .22 handgun on the kitchen table.

Documents show Jake Evans surrendered calmly and peacefully.

The teen told the sheriff's department he stole the .22 revolver from his grandfather, a former Fort Worth police officer who lived nearby. Two older siblings and Evans' father, Darryl Evans, were not at home during the shootings. Sheriff Larry Fowler said Evans reloaded at least once.

Jami Evans was a former first-grade teacher and assistant principal who worked at two Aledo ISD. She was already homeschooling Mallory in January 2010, then began homeschooling her son in January 2011. Sheriff Fowler acknowledged Evans was "abruptly" pulled from public school, but did not elaborate.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Thank you, Raine, for keeping up on this Very SAD case!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Capital murder indictment returned against Aledo teen

Post by raine1953 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:18 pm

A Parker County grand jury handed down an indictment Friday morning charging 17-year-old Jacob “Jake” Ryan Evans with capital murder in the Oct. 4 shooting deaths of his mother and younger sister.

The Annetta South resident is accused of killing his 48-year-old mother, Jami, and 15-year-old sister, Mallory, before calling a 911 operator shortly after midnight and calmly confessing to the crime.

If convicted of capital murder, Evans faces mandatory life in prison without parole as he is not eligible for the death penalty. A U.S. Supreme Court ruling in 2005 prohibited capital punishment for those under 18 years old.

The grand jury also indicted him on separate murder charges in the deaths. If convicted of those, Evans could face five to 99 years or life in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

According to the medical examiner’s office, Mallory Evans died from multiple gunshot wounds to the head and neck and her 48-year-old mother died of multiple gunshot wounds to the head. Both deaths were ruled homicides.

The teen described the killings during the 911 call.

“This is really going to mess me up in the future,” Evans said. “See my sister, I told my sister that my mom needed her. She was in her room and she came out of her room and I, uh, I, I shot her. She rolled down the stairs and I shot her again. And then I went down and I shot my mom about maybe three or four times.”

He would never forget when his sister then came down the stairs screaming, Evans said on the 911 tape, adding that he told her to hold still, he was going to make it go away but that she continued “freaking out.”

“But finally she fell down and I shot her in the head, about probably three times,” Evans said.

Asked by the 911 dispatcher if there was a reason he was so angry with his mother and sister, Evans replied: “I don’t know. I wasn’t — it’s weird — I wasn’t even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I had been kind of planning on killing for a while now.”

The teen suspect told the dispatcher he had been planning to kill “pretty much anybody.”

“I’m pretty, I guess, evil,” Evans said.

He surrendered to authorities peacefully when they arrived at the residence in the 100 block of River Creek Lane.

Evans’ father was out of town on business at the time of the incident and two adult siblings did not live at the house.

Evans is believed to have stolen the .22-caliber revolver used in the incident from his grandfather’s house across the street about two weeks earlier, according to authorities.

The teen also told investigators he watched Rob Zombie’s “Halloween,” a violent horror film, three times during the week leading up to the day he killed his sister and mother.

Jami Evans was a former elementary school teacher and assistant principal at Stuard and Coder elementary schools between 1989 and 2004. She also worked as a substitute teacher for Aledo ISD beginning in 2007.

Jake Evans was withdrawn from Aledo High School in January to home school, according to district superintendent Dan Manning, who said that Evans’ sister also withdrew from the Aledo district at some point, as well.

The case was assigned to 415th District Judge Graham Quisenberry’s court Friday and attorneys Larry Moore and Mac Smith were appointed to represent Evans.

Evans remained in the Parker County Jail Friday without bond.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by spayneuteryourpets on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:12 pm

YES!! An up to $10,000 fine. That will show him!!
spayneuteryourpets

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:24 pm

This kid had zero remorse. He made it sound like a day in the park. 🇳🇴

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Confessed Teen Killer Will Face Capital Murder Charge. Judge set bail at $750,000 for Jacob Ryan Evans

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm

By Angela K. Brown and Chris Van Horne | Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 | Updated 12:44 PM CST

Parker County

17-year-old Jake Evans tells a 911 operator he shot his mother and younger sister at his Parker County home and answers her questions in a more than 20-minute call.

A North Texas judge has refused to drop a capital murder charge against a 17-year-old accused of killing his mother and younger sister.

Attorneys for Jacob Ryan Evans brought up the issue at a Wednesday hearing.

A U.S. Supreme Court ruling doesn't allow any capital murder defendant under 18 to be executed or sentenced to life without parole. Those are the only two punishment options for a capital murder convict in Texas.

Prosecutors say a proposed state law would create a life sentence for capital murder convicts under age 18.

Evans has been jailed since his October arrest at home in Aledo, 20 miles west of Fort Worth.

The judge set bail Wednesday at $750,000. Evans' father Darrell Evans told the court his son has no money and while the family is supporting him in jail, they will not be bonding him out even if they could afford it.

Evans gave chilling details of the crime during a 911 call. During the recording, Evans told the 911 operator he is "evil."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal 'What happened last night will haunt me forever'

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Posted Thursday, Jan. 24, 201334 Comments PrintReprintsMore Sharing ServicesShare
BY DEANNA BOYD

Aledo teen Jake Evans told investigators he devised a plan to kill several members of his family after watching a horror movie about a boy who murders relatives with ease and without remorse, and thinking, "it would be the same for me when I kill someone."

"My plan was to kill my sister and my mom at my house and then go over to my grandparents and kill my oldest sister Emily and my two grandparents," wrote Evans, 17, who remains in the Parker County Jail on accusations that he fatally shot his mother, Jami, and 15-year-old sister, Mallory, inside the family's Parker County home in October.

"Then I was going to wait until morning and kill my other sister, Audrey, because she was visiting from college," Evans wrote in the statement, which was obtained Thursday by the Star-Telegram.

Evans gave little explanation for why he wanted to kill his family, other than pointing out that that he had argued with his little sister that day for what he deemed a racist comment she had made. He wrote that he was upset about her attitude toward blacks and homeless people.

"When I look at people, especially teenagers, I see them as being very cruel to one another emotionally," he wrote. "It seems that their favorite hobby is picking on someone else. The people who are racists, bullies, and who are full of themselves are the really evil ones. And it amazes me because those three qualities are extremely common today.

"I was very sad because I felt like my own family were [sic] becoming the people I hate."

The statement was introduced into evidence by prosecutors during a pre-trial hearing in Weatherford on Wednesday in which State District Judge Graham Quisenberry set Evans' bond at $750,000.

Larry Moore, Evans' defense attorney, had requested during the hearing that the judge seal the statement, saying it had not been established that the statement was his client's.

Quisenberry said he would take Moore's request under advisement but, on Thursday, opted not to seal the statement and placed it into the court's case file, which is public record.

WENT OUTSIDE TO HIT GOLF BALLS

On the day of the shootings, Evans said he had returned home from the allergist and began watching Rob Zombie's remake of the movie Halloween for the third time.

"While watching it I was amazed at how at ease the boy was during the murders and how little remorse he had afterwards," Evans wrote. "I was thinking to myself, it would be the same for me when I kill someone."

Evans said he later threw away the movie so that people wouldn't think it influenced him in any way.

"After that I went outside to hit golf balls in the yard for about an hour," Evans wrote. "I went inside around 5:30 p.m. and just sat in the living room thinking about how I was going to kill my family."

After making his plans, Evans described for investigators how he went about doing a series of mundane tasks. At her request, he accompanied his grandmother to the cleaners and then got dinner with her and stopped at the post office. After being dropped off back at home, Evans ate dinner in the pool house and watched the Family Guy television show before going back into the house where he saw his mom and sister watching the debates.

After going outside to hit a few more golf balls, Evans wrote that he went upstairs to watch some more Family Guy when Mallory asked if he wanted to watch a movie.

"I said no because earlier that day at the allergist appointment she made racist comments about a black worker that was mowing the grass," Evans wrote. "She said, 'Ha, that black guy looks like a monkey.'"

Pointing out that his sister had previously made racist comments like that and also made fun of homeless people, Evans said he scolded her and told her that she was becoming white trash.

Later, in the car, he told her to look up the word 'lynching' to see if she still had the same opinion about black people.

"She then said that she would never be a part of a lynching but is still a racist," Evans wrote. "I then said that she makes me sick and called her a racist bitch."

After rejecting her offer to watch a movie, Evans said he went downstairs and retrieved his dad's knife. He returned upstairs and began pacing, imagining killing his little sister, he wrote.

STARTING HAVING A PILLOW FIGHT

"Thoughts of causing her pain kept entering my mind and were really bothering me," he wrote. "But then I'd think about the times she hurt my feelings or really pissed me off."

Evans said he later went to his sister's bedroom door and asked her to watch The Waterboy with him. But he later excused himself and went into the art room. There, he imagined killing Mallory again, he told investigators.

After about 30 minutes, he returned to his place on the sofa, the knife in his pocket.

"I sat for about 5 minutes and then playfully threw a pillow at Mallory," Evans described. "We started having a pillow fight in the room.

"After a while I thought to myself that if I were going to kill my mom and Mallory, I wouldn't want them to feel anything. So I decided to kill them both with the .22 revolver I stole from my Grandpa."

Evans said he then went downstairs, retrieved the gun from his closet, and sat it on his bed, nervously opening the cylinder over and over again.

"I then spent probably over an hour walking nervously around the house thinking how life will never be the same and how I would never see them again," he wrote.

'I'M DONE WITH KILLING'

About 11:15 p.m., he went upstairs with the pistol, knocked on his sister's door, and told her that mom needed her.

"She came out and out of the corner of her eye saw me pointing the gun at her," Evans wrote. "She thought I was joking and told me that I was freaking her out. I shot her in the back and then the head."

Evans said he then ran downstairs to the study, where he shot his mother three times.

"In shock, I ran to my room and was screaming at the top of my lungs that I am really messed up and that I killed my mom and sister," Evans wrote.

Evans said he was emptying the shells on his bed when he heard noises and realized that Mallory was still alive.

"While I loaded the gun back up I was shouting that I was sorry and then ran as fast as I could to kill her," Evans stated. "I then made sure my mom was dead and shot her again in the head."

Evans said he then went outside for a few minutes before returning inside.

"Very shocked and scared, I placed the gun on the kitchen counter and walked into the living room to dial 911," he wrote.

Evans ended his statement:

"I know now though that I'm done with killing. It's the most dreadful and terrifying thing I will ever experience. And what happened last night will haunt me forever."

Read more here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:11 pm

That kid is really disturbed. I wonder if he always was or if something just flipped in his mind just prior to the killings.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:27 pm

I think he had been disturbed for quite some time. I cannot imagine anyone going from "a normal kid" to shooting his family overnight.

He sure was honest about what he did and why he did it. I got the jest that he was bullied.

The more I read about these kids going ballistic and killing their family (that NM case is HORRIFIC!) I feel like one simply never knows what can set someone off. But, there seems to be a trend: bullied, loners, watched violent movies/played violent video games. my 2 cents

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Full confession

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:59 pm

var docstoc_docid="142631173";var docstoc_title="Jake Evans Alleged Confession";var docstoc_urltitle="Jake Evans Alleged Confession";

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal As Jake Evans Trial Looms, Texas Has No Way to Punish 17-Year-old Capital Murderers

Post by raine1953 on Thu May 23, 2013 5:42 pm

In October of last year, at around 11:15 p.m., 17-year-old Jake Evans placed a 911 call from his upscale home in Aledo, a tony suburb just outside of Weatherford.
"It's weird," he said, his voice eerily calm as he spoke with the operator. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."

According to his written confession, he knocked on sister Mallory's bedroom door and told her their mother had asked for her. He allegedly shot her in the head and in the back when she opened the door, then ran downstairs to the study, where he said he shot his mother, Jamie, three times. Evans says he began to empty the .22 revolver, but heard his 15-year-old sister's moans. He yelled out, "I'm sorry," returned to her bedroom and shot her once more.

"My plan was to kill my sister and my mom at my house and then go over to my grandparents and kill my oldest sister, Emily, and my two grandparents," he wrote. "Then I was going to wait until morning and kill my other sister, Audrey, because she was visiting from college."

He said he lost his taste for killing, though, as he watched his family die.

If convicted, Evans would obviously be the kind of killer best kept off the streets for a very, very long time. The law in Texas virtually assures this. Capital murder carries with it either a death sentence or life imprisonment without parole. And because Evans is 17, he can be charged as an adult. Yet in the eyes of the U.S. Supreme Court, he's a minor. Either punishment, the high court ruled, is unconstitutional.

This legal limbo for 17-year-old capital killers in Texas places courts in a precarious spot, because technically there is no legal punishment for them; prosecutors have no choice but to charge them with a lesser crime and risk putting them back on the streets. And a piece of legislation that would have addressed this constitutional gap in the criminal code failed to meet the legislature's deadline Tuesday night.

A bill proposed by state Senator Joan Huffman of Houston would have injected a little flexibility into state sentencing guidelines. It wouldn't apply retroactively to Evans' case, but it could establish a life sentence with the possibility of parole for capital offenders. At a January hearing, the judge declined to rule on whether Evans can be tried on charges for which no punishment exists. The case is set to go to trial July 22.

The Texas District and County Attorneys Association wants the issue resolved this session:
(I can't get this image in, go to the link to see)
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Legislators to Consider Measure for 17-Year-Old Capital Murderers as Jake Evans Trial Looms

Post by raine1953 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:12 am

The Parker County district attorney is keeping an eye on the Legislature's special session. Next month, Jake Evans' case is scheduled to go to trial. The 17-year-old kid from a gated community in Aledo is accused of methodically gunning down his mother and his little sister then calmly phoning 911.

"It's weird," he [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on the night of October 3. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."
Trouble is, there's no legal punishment for Evans should a jury convict him. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that juveniles can't be sentenced to life without parole -- that's anyone under 18. In Texas, 17-year-old criminal defendants are considered adults. And, under current state law, juries have little discretion in sentencing. It's either life without parole or the death penalty.

On Tuesday, Governor Rick Perry added a measure to the special session that would allow 17-year-old capital murderers to be sentenced to life with the possibility of parole after they've served 40 years. One of the bills was authored by Representative Phil KIng, whose district includes Aledo.
"We've been watching and we've been working with legislators to get something passed," a spokesman for the Parker County district attorney tells Unfair Park. "And we're happy Governor Perry added it to the agenda so we have a chance to get this figured out."
As written, the legislation would apply retroactively to include Evans if it receives two-thirds of the vote in both chambers of the Legislature, says Shannon Edmonds of the Texas District and County Attorneys Association.
Evans certainly isn't the only 17-year-old to fall into this constitutional gap created by[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Edmonds says the Harris County district attorney has 12 pending capital murder cases involving 17-year-old defendants.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:05 pm

I remember reading about this kid. Obviously he's mentally ill and needs to be treated as such. 

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum