Clackamas Town Center Shooting: Jacob Roberts, 22, takes two lives and injures one woman before turning the gun on himself

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Clackamas Town Center Shooting: Jacob Roberts, 22, takes two lives and injures one woman before turning the gun on himself

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:32 pm

A gunman opened fire in a Portland, Ore., area shopping mall Tuesday, killing at least one person and wounding an unknown number of others, sheriff's deputies said.

"We believe there's at least one deceased and maybe more," said Clackamas County sheriff's Lt. James Rhodes.

Rhodes said he was still trying to get more details about the situation at the Clackamas Town Center, but the gunman was "neutralized." He said he wasn't sure whether the gunman is dead.

Authorities were going store-to-store to secure the scene, but Rhodes said there was no indication that there was more than one gunman.

Kira Rowland told KGW-TV that she was shopping at Macy's with her infant when the shots started.

"All of a sudden you hear two shots, which sounded like balloons popping," Rowland told the station. "Everybody got on the ground. I grabbed the baby from the stroller and got on the ground."

Rowland said she heard people screaming and crying.

"I put the baby back in the stroller and ran like hell," Rowland said. "It was awful. It was shots after shots after shots like a massacre.

"It was just awful."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by BJ on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Clackamas Town Center Shooting: Jacob Roberts, 22, takes two lives and injures one woman before turning the gun on himself

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:33 pm

At least one person was killed in a shooting inside the Clackamas Town Center mall Tuesday afternoon, and a suspect was "neutralized," deputies said.
A witness told KGW that up to 60 shots were fired by a man wearing a white mask and body armor, armed with a large assault-type rifle. The shooting took place shortly after 3 p.m.
Lieutenant James Rhodes said the suspect had been "neutralized" at a news conference just before 5 p.m. He did not specify whether the shooter was captured or dead. Police did not think there were any other suspects.
Deputies also confirmed there was at least one fatality.
Any witnesses were asked to contact police.
At least three people were hit, according to American Medical Response, after ten to 15 shots were fired by a person in a hockey mask. One patient was taken to the hospital, AMR said.
Witnesses said the suspect fired a rifle several times until it jammed and he the dropped a magazine onto the floor, then ran into the Macy's store.
“It was just shot after shot after shot. It was terrible. It was like a massacre,” witness Kira Rowland said.
“All of the sudden, I just heard a series of gunshots… boom, boom, boom, boom, boom… whatever the shooter was shooting at, they continued to shoot,” said shopper Bill Hoff.
KGW reporter Abbey Gibb said people were crying and shaking as they came out of the mall.
Dax McMillan, a former police officer, said a friend of his was right next to one of the victims. He said she told him that the gunman aimed at her but his gun jammed and she ran.
Witness Benjamin Christensen, who works in the mall, said he was also there when the shooting began. He heard one shot, then six or seven more. He then began helping to evacuate others out of the rear exits.
“There were just cops everywhere and sirens and ambulances coming in. I hope everyone is okay,” said a shopper named Isabel, who fled after the shooting. “It’s so close to a holiday. It’s terrible.”
Another witness told KGW she heard several gunshots near Nordstrom, before people ran for cover.
Reporter Pat Dooris described a heavy police and emergency vehicle presence as well as "a lot of chaos." One witness told him security forces helped shoppers get down to the ground and out of site after the shots were fired.
“A deputy is about 50 yards away from me. He has a shotgun out, he’s hiding behind a car,” said John Canzano, a well-known local sports columnist who happened to be at the mall.
The mall exit from Interstate 205 was closed by police until just after 5 p.m. Police said the mall would remain closed during the investigation.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Clackamas Town Center Shooting: Jacob Roberts, 22, takes two lives and injures one woman before turning the gun on himself

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Weekdays are usually pretty quiet at the cupcake stand near the food court at Clackamas Town Center, where 16-year-old Alina Pazlenko began working part-time about a week ago.

But around 3:30 p.m. today, Pazlenko said she heard a loud sound and then another and, as she realized she was hearing gunshots, the count went past five and six. She looked up from the Fabulicious Cupcakes kiosk and her eyes caught the figure walking slowly across the open area near Macy's. The figure, wearing a white mask, raised his arm and shot at a woman nearby as the mall's empty hallways echoed with screams. Pazlenko watched the woman fall.

Then, she said, the figure calmly pointed the gun in her direction and fired.

"He looked straight at me, and he aimed but he missed," said Pazlenko, who said she froze. She couldn't bend down. She couldn't move. "I thought he was going to come into the food court, but he kept going straight, toward J.C. Penney.

"He kept on shooting, and he kept on walking," she said. "He wasn't running. He was walking so slow. He dropped the thing he used to load bullets, and he just slowly picked it up and put back in again."

Pazlenko took a breath and found her strength. She grabbed her cellphone and ran for the nearest exit, where a number of other food court employees were gathered, crying and asking questions about what had happened. Pazlenko ran out the door without her purse or car keys, her T-shirt offering little protection from the rain.

That's when her boss, Katrina Onishchenko, owner of the five-month-old cupcake kiosk, spotted her across the parking lot. Onishchenko had been on her way to work at Clackamas Town Center but was running about 30 minutes late.

"I was five minutes away from the mall when Alina told me not to go there."

Pazlenko walked for a while and then called her boyfriend for a ride home. Nearly two hours after the shooting, she was still woozy and disoriented. She couldn't remember exactly what the woman looked like who'd been shot. But she remembered the shooter.

His face had been covered in a white mask, she said, not a scary mask, just white. He wore a black sweater or sweatshirt, and jeans "like a teenage boy would wear."

"The way he was just walking around, it was like a teenage boy."

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:55 pm

My DIL and my daughter both worked at Nordstrom's at this mall about 15 yrs ago.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 pm

There is just entirely too much of this going on nowadays!!!!! I was watching Dr Drew tonight and he had people calling in who were right there in the mall as the shooting was happening. I can't imagine. What a sick world we live in.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Sheriff's office: No connection between Oregon gunman, victims

Post by raine1953 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 am

(CNN) -- The masked gunman worked his way across the mall, terrifying holiday shoppers who had no clue where he'd fire next.
Entire swaths of Clackamas Town Center turned silent. The only sounds were the blasts from the man's rifle and the ensuing screams. Even the mall's Santa dropped to the ground.
"I thought I was going to die," mall employee David Moran said. "The gunshots were so loud, it was very scary. ... Kids were crying. Parents were crying, too."
Witnesses say at least 20 shots were fired Tuesday inside the mall, about 11 miles southeast of Portland, Oregon.
Kira Rowland was holding her 6-month-old baby in Macy's when the shots rang out.
Gunman opens fire in Oregon mall
Two shot dead inside Oregon mall People leave Oregon mall with arms up Woman: Thought shooter was in flash mob
"I threw my baby into the stroller and just started running, because everybody was screaming and everybody just started to run," she said.
Inside Clackamas Town Center
By the end of the rampage, three people lay dead, including the gunman from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. One young woman remains hospitalized, Clackamas County Undersheriff Matt Ellington said Wednesday morning.
The motive remains unknown, but Ellington told CNN that the gunman had no connection with the victims.
The injured woman was identified as Kristina Shevchenko by officials at the Oregon Health and Science University Hospital. She remains in serious condition, the hospital said.
Authorities say they will identify the other victims at a press conference scheduled for 1 p.m. ET. Investigators have tentatively identified the shooter, believed to be in his early 20s, and will also identify him at the news conference.
The gunman wore a hockey mask and jogged through Macy's wielding a rifle, a woman told CNN affiliate KOIN.
As some panicked customers bolted for the exits, others ducked under store counters or hid behind racks of clothing.
The suspect announced aloud that "I am the shooter" as he ran through Macy's, said witness and store employee Austin Patty.
The shooter wore what looked like a hockey mask and a bulletproof vest, Patty said. He carried an assault rifle "like you would see in a video game."
As the shooting started, Patty ran out of the store, warning everyone in his path that there was a shooter on the loose and ordering them out of the store.
The sheriff's office confirmed that a rifle and a mask were recovered from the scene, Ellington said.
Investigators are reviewing surveillance footage to get a better picture of what happened, he said.
The Clackamas Town Center is located in Happy Valley, Oregon, a suburb of Portland.
Erin Quackenbush-Baker was in a vulnerable position -- in the middle of the mall at a kiosk with her grandmother and three young children.
Shooting inside Oregon shopping mall Shooting witness: People were screaming Witness: I saw woman on ground, shot
"My 5-year-old was covering her ears and crying. I was frantic to find a place to run, and I looked back (at) my son in my stroller and glass is falling over us," she said. "The shots were getting closer, and it sounded like he was getting closer."
"I felt like sitting ducks, where we were."
Timeline: Worst mass shootings in U.S.
During a brief halt in the gunfire, a man helped rush the family into a nearby Sephora store. That's where Quackenbush-Baker and her children hid for an hour, "waiting to see if we were going to be shot or not."
As word spread that the shooter was moving from store to store, customers at Sears burst into tears, Christina Fisher told KOIN.
"We were told to stand in a group by the top of the escalators and stay away from the windows out of the aisle. ... We stood there for probably a good 20 minutes," she said. "All of the sudden, somebody came through with a radio, yelling, 'Get down!' "
As the melee unfolded, some customers watched television news reports about the shooting from inside the Sears entertainment center, Tylor Pedersen told affiliate KGW.
Antonio Charro spotted a wounded woman near a cell phone store and tried to help, but to no avail.
"She had apparently been shot in the chest, and I couldn't get her turned over to help her," said Charro, who had been shopping at the mall with his daughters. "There was no one around. She wasn't breathing."
Clackamas County Sheriff Craig Roberts said about 10,000 people were in the mall at the time.
No law enforcement officers fired any shots when they arrived, sheriff's Sgt. Adam Phillips said.
The 1.4 million-square-foot mall will remain closed Wednesday as investigators look for clues about the attack.
Rowland said she's grateful she got distracted while shopping and didn't venture farther into the mall.
"I think if I hadn't stopped to smell that perfume, that maybe me and my baby wouldn't be here today."
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:33 am

Wow!! Is this a mall you frequent, BJ?? Why does this stuff always happen around the holidays? Rhetorical question.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Surviving shooting victim was shot in chest, recovering at OHSU

By KATU.com Staff Published: Dec 12, 2012 at 7:50 AM PST Last Updated: Dec 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM PST
Kristina Shevchenko as seen in a photo provided by her family.

PORTLAND, Ore. – A 15-year-old girl who was shot and seriously injured during a shooting rampage at Clackamas Town Center is recovering in the hospital after a successful surgery.

Kristina Shevchenko’s trauma surgeon, Dr. Laszlo Kiraly, said she came to Oregon Health and Science University “seriously wounded with an assault rifle wound to the chest.”

She was awake when she arrived, but her lung and liver were seriously damaged.

Surgeons operated on her that night, which Kiraly said was successful. As of Wednesday afternoon, she was listed in “serious” condition in the intensive care unit.

During a news conference on Wednesday, Kiraly said he is “optimistic for her full recovery,” although he said there would be a lengthy rehabilitation process.

“We are deeply grateful for the quick response of the emergency service providers, public safety and police officers as well as Clackamas Town Center staff,” Shevchenko’s family said in a statement. “We would also like to thank everyone at OHSU Hospital. We very much appreciate the incredible support we’ve received from friends, family members and the Portland community.”

“I was very impressed with the support her family offered,” Kiraly said, noting that family members have been by Kristina’s side the entire time. “It’s clear to me that she’s a very brave young woman.”

Members of Kristina’s family have created a Facebook page to provide updates and collect donations.

Kiraly said the kind of assault rifle used in the shooting typically causes severe damage to victims. Many of Kristina’s wounds were caused by the blast effect of being hit by such a high velocity round.

He said the wounds are different than doctors might see with a handgun. Gunshot wounds from this type of weapon are generally only seen with hunting accidents or police situations where they must use powerful rifles.

“These were serious, life-threatening injuries.”

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Jacob Roberts' Friend: Break-Up May Have Sparked Mall Shooting (EXCLUSIVE)

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Posted: 12/12/2012 5:29 pm EST | Updated: 12/12/2012 5:36 pm EST
Jacob Roberts, who police said is responsible for a fatal shooting spree at an Oregon mall, may have been set off by a recent break-up with a girlfriend, according to one of his friends who said Roberts was generally considered a good-natured person.

According to the Clackamas County Sheriff Office, Roberts, 22, began shooting Tuesday afternoon at the crowded Clackamas Town Center, killing two people and seriously wounding a 15-year-old girl before killing himself.

Roberts' friend and former classmate Jordan Morrison told The Huffington Post that he thought a recent break-up between Roberts and his girlfriend could have led to the tragedy. "Maybe [the break-up] pushed him over the edge," Morrison said, adding that the last time he spoke with Roberts, his friend said he thought his girlfriend was pregnant. "Honestly, he wanted suicide by cops [is] what I think happened."

Authorities on Wednesday identified Roberts and the two victims who died -- Cindy Ann Yuille, 54, and Steven Forsyth, 45. Teenager Kristina Shevchenko suffered a traumatic injury and is in serious condition at a Portland hospital.

According to Sheriff Craig Roberts (no relation), there is no known connection between Jacob Roberts and the Clackamas Town Center. Authorities have yet to identify a motive for the shooting and said they are still piecing together the suspect's actions leading up to it.

Morrison never felt Roberts was a mean person or that he was capable of committing such acts, he said. "Knowing Jake so well, I couldn't see him doing something like that -- going and shooting people at a mall. It's not him at all."

Investigators searched Roberts' home at 7324 South East 84th Ave. in Portland and his 1996 VW Jetta, found in the mall parking lot. They have not released what, if anything, was found in the searches.

According to a Facebook page attributed to Roberts, he attended Milwaukie High School in Milwaukie, Ore., and Oregon City Senior High School. His graduation date is listed as 2008.

In the "about" section of the profile, the page author wrote:

"Hey what's up guys my names Jake and I'm an alcoholic... Lol just kidding. If you were to ask someone that knows me they would probably say that I am a pretty funny person that takes sarcasm to the max. I'm the kind of person that is going to do what I want. There is no reason for another person to tell you what to do, I'm the conductor of my choo choo train. I may be young but I have lived one crazy life so far. My friends are my family and I don't think that will ever change. I have done a lot for myself in the past year some good and some bad but I still press on. I like hanging out with my friends and having a good time maybe get a little drunk every now and then. I like to think of myself as a bit of an adrenaline junkie... Yup that's right I'm a junkie lol. But I'm just looking to meet new people and see the world. Right now I work at the most badass gyro shop in town. I am one of the few people that can say I love my job and actually mean it. But if you want to know more about me send me a message. What's up let's party."
Most of Roberts' former friends and classmates are hesitant to discuss him with the media. They have, however, used Facebook to share their thoughts about the case.

"I grew up with this kid, at one point loved this kid, and I never thought be [sic] could be capable of doing something like this," Brooke Baker, who said she has known Roberts since she was 6, wrote. "I have no words for why his happened. I'm sorry for the people he killed and injured and my heart goes out to everyone who is suffering."

Alexis Marshall described Roberts as her ex-boyfriend and said they were "pretty close." "He hung out in Milwaukie a lot and around the mall area," she said. "He use to ride BMX. He was a good guy -- never in a million yrs." [sic].

Danie Hayes also claimed to be an ex-girlfriend of Roberts. "We went to my junior prom together," she said. "What he did was horrifying. But everyone needs to know that he was never a mean person. I don't know what was going through his mind when he did this."

Roberts former classmate, Joshua Main, told HuffPost he has not been in contact with Roberts lately, but knew him well in high school. "We'd bounce jokes off each other in our student store and my brother rode BMX bikes with him on the weekends," Main said.

"He was loud and extremely outgoing -- one of those kids that teachers would get annoyed with sometimes but couldn't help but like him. He was always smiling. I'm unsure what happened between then and now but you never know what demons someone is fighting with, without being the actual person."

Morrison told HuffPost that Roberts was "never in trouble as far as I know" and was "going to be a Marine."

"He was a cool kid -- down to earth," he said. "He didn't have problems or enemies or anything like that. You know, that one kid in high school that everybody wanted to hang out with -- that was him. He was such a cool kid and then I hear about this."

According to court records, Roberts had two speeding tickets from earlier this year, and in June, he and a woman were evicted from an apartment in Happy Valley, Ore. Public records show Roberts held hunting and fishing licenses in Oregon a few years ago.

Morrison said he did not know his friend to be into guns, despite a Facebook photo showing Roberts' shooting a pistol. According to the sheriff, the weapon Roberts used in the attack, an AR-15 semi-automatic, was stolen from someone he knew.

"It's a shock," Morrison said. "I feel bad for those people at the mall. He was a really good kid. I guess he just got stirred up in the wrong s--t."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Jake Roberts Facebook

Post by Nama on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Jake Roberts
Studied at Clackamas Community College
Lives in Portland, Oregon
In a Relationship
Male

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:26 pm

A FB friend wrote this about Jacob Roberts

Not only do I wake up to news that the shooter was a friend, but now ABC news got a hold of me and wants to talk to me. I do not agree with the choices that Jake made that day, no body's faith should be decided by another man's hands, but this was not the person he was. Mental illness is a horrible, rotting disease that destroys many lives and screws with our decision making and thinking errors. Jake had a kind, genuine heart that made others laugh and had a good shoulder to cry one when life got tough. We can be mad at him, and spit in his direction, but deep down we ALL know that no one in their right mind wakes up deciding to end their life like that. We've all been in a dark room, fearing that light may not be on the other side of the door, but fortunately for all of us, who are still here, were able to be strong enough to break away from the evil. Jake was not evil, the tragic switch of our mental health is. As someone who's worked with at risk youth (s.o./d.o.) for the past 3 years, battling the same disease, I can tell you this is one of the most devastating battles people, millions of people, go through.
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 pm

but deep down we ALL know that no one in their right mind wakes up deciding to end their life like that.
Is he dead? Did he take his own life? I thought he was in custody.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Wrap wrote: According to the Clackamas County Sheriff Office, Roberts, 22, began shooting Tuesday afternoon at the crowded Clackamas Town Center, killing two people and seriously wounding a 15-year-old girl before killing himself.
The shooter is DEAD; at his own hand. No shots were fired by LE. I don't know who posted that he is in custody. I'll change it.
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Roberts' ex-girlfriend on Wednesday told ABC News that Jacob Tyler Roberts, the gunman who opened fire on Christmas shoppers at an Ore. mall, was typically happy, but abruptly changed in the week before the shooting.

Hannah Patricia Sansburn, 20, told ABC News that Roberts had recently quit his job at a Greek deli and sold all of his belongings, saying he was leaving Portland and moving to Hawaii.

Sansburn said she saw Roberts the week before the shooting. He seemed numb, and she didn't know why.

"This was the last thing I would have ever expected, especially from him. He was just too sweet. Never mean to anybody," said Sansburn.

Roberts' mother, Tami Roberts, released a statement through a friend on Wednesday. She said she had no explanation of her son's behavior.
"Tami Roberts wishes to express her shock and grief at the events at Clackamas Town Center Tuesday," the friend said, reading from a statement outside of Tami Roberts' home. The woman identified herself as Holly but declined to give her last name.

The friend said Tami raised Roberts, but was not his biological mother.

"She has no understanding or explanation for her sons behavior and request that her privacy be respected. She is very sad and wants everyone to know she is so sorry for what Jake did. It's so out of his character," the friend said.

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Jacob Tyler Roberts: Oregon Mall Shooting Suspect Had ‘Weird Look’ Before Leaving Apartment

Post by Nama on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Before police say Jacob Tyler Roberts walked into a mall wearing a hockey-style mask, firing gunshots that killed two people and injured a teenage girl, he visited the brother of his roommate, hugged him and told him he was going "somewhere south, somewhere warm."

The roommate, 26-year-old Jaime Eheler, also said Roberts "had a weird look on his face" when he left the house they shared.

Hours later, three people were dead, including Roberts, who shot himself after the Tuesday rampage.

Although officials have not yet revealed a motive, a clearer picture of Roberts is emerging. According to his aunt, a foot injury prevented him from joining the Marines. He enjoyed skydiving and once wanted to be a smokejumper, according to Eheler. His mother died of cancer when he was young, he left his aunt's house as a teenager and lived with Eheler's family for a while, and he had told friends of plans to live in Hawaii for a year.

"I never saw this young man raise his voice," Eheler said, sobbing. "I've seen him sad, I've seen him hurt. I've never seen him mad."

The Clackamas County sheriff's office said Roberts had several fully loaded magazines when he arrived at the mall Tuesday as thousands did their Christmas shopping. Roberts parked his 1996 Volkswagen Jetta in front of the second-floor entrance to Macy's and walked through the store into the mall and began firing randomly in the food court, authorities said.

He fatally shot Steven Mathew Forsyth, 45, and Cindy Ann Yuille, 54, the sheriff said. Kristina Shevchenko, 15, was wounded and in serious condition Thursday.

Eheler said Roberts had recently quit his job at a gyro shop in Portland, sold all of his belongings, and put his car up for sale on Craigslist in advance of his planned move to Hawaii.

She said his decision to move to the islands caught her by surprise, but only a little bit. He told her he planned to live off the interest of an inheritance that he had invested, and that he planned to return on Oct. 25, 2013.

"He's adventurous," Ehler said. "That's who he is."

Roberts' ex-girlfriend, Hannah Patricia Sansburn, told ABC's "World News with Diane Sawyer" that he was supposed to catch a flight Saturday but he got drunk and missed it.

The owner of Big Bertha's, a sandwich shop where Roberts most recently worked, threw a going away party for him last week.

"His nickname there at the shop was `The Kid,'" said Thomas Illk, father of Tommy Illk, who owns the shop. "Tommy is just devastated. He was like a little brother to him."

Police say Roberts had stolen an AR-15 rifle from someone he knew. Authorities said that after the shootings, he fled along a mall corridor and into a back hallway, down stairs and into a corner where police found him dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot.

The shooting confounds Eheler. She said she knew that Roberts had gone target shooting in the past, but there were no guns in her house, and she'd never seen him with one.

"I can't wrap my mind around it, I can't understand," she said. "I sit here and think, and I think, and I think, and I can't come up with one reason why he would do this."

Eheler said she later learned that Roberts had stopped at her brother Tyler's home on the way to the mall. Tyler Eheler and Roberts had been best friends since high school, she said.

"He came in and hung out for a minute and told him that he had to go and that he didn't want to," she said, and added that he gave her brother a bracelet that he always wore, and hugged him. "He told him he was just going somewhere south, somewhere warm, and not to tell me or my boyfriend that he had left until the next day."

Eheler said her brother was devastated and was not granting interviews.

Another friend who said she had known Roberts since middle school, Shania Riley, described Roberts as a "very compassionate and very caring person."

She said everything seemed fine when she saw him at a bar last week. The only odd moment Riley could recall came about six months ago when she and her boyfriend were at Roberts' apartment "and he was pulling out guns and showing them to us."

She recalled seeing two handguns and a rifle.

Benjamin Eshbach, who played chess with Roberts, said Roberts had bought a pistol about a year ago and used to shoot it in the woods when he went camping.

"A lot of people are thinking he was fixated on things like that. That couldn't be further from the truth," Eshbach said.

The aunt who raised Roberts said her heart is breaking for the victims.

Tami Roberts became Roberts' guardian when his mother died shortly before his third birthday. The two had a falling out when he turned 18, and had not spoken in four years.

Tami Roberts said she tried to contact him many times but declined to say why he refused to speak with her.

Court documents show Tami Roberts misappropriated $18,000 that Jacob Roberts received in an inheritance from his grandmother when he was a young teen. She said that was not the reason for the estrangement.

Tami Roberts showed reporters numerous photos from happier times, including one showing the pair with matching tattoos. She said a foot injury five years ago dashed his hopes of joining the Marines.

The last time Tami Roberts saw her nephew was in a parking lot a few months ago.

"I was telling him how much I love him, how proud I am of him and how much I miss him," Tami Roberts said.

He just rode off on his bike without saying a word to her, she said.

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:44 am

he visited the brother of his roommate, hugged him and told him he was going "somewhere south, somewhere warm."
BBM

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum