Trent Mays & Ma'lik Richmond,16, reportedly raped a 16 yo girl in Steubenville, OH. Video of the boys joking about the alleged victim surfaced.Update: 2 more girls pictures have surfaced of them being raped! FOUND GUILTY!!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Re: Trent Mays & Ma'lik Richmond,16, reportedly raped a 16 yo girl in Steubenville, OH. Video of the boys joking about the alleged victim surfaced.Update: 2 more girls pictures have surfaced of them being raped! FOUND GUILTY!!!!

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Trent Mays, Ma'lik Richmond, Steubenville, Ohio rape trial update: 3 witnesses testify

Posted: 12:52 PM
By: Chelsea J. Carter and Poppy Harlow, CNN
Please note this story contains graphic language.
STEUBENVILLE, Ohio (CNN) -- Three teens testified Friday they saw two star Steubenville, Ohio, high school football players accused of rape engage in sexual contact with an allegedly drunk 16-year-old girl.

The testimony came during the third day of a trial that has gained national attention over its focus on text messages and cell-phone pictures and videos surrounding the alleged sexual abuse of the girl.

Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, are accused of raping the girl during a series of end-of-summer parties in August 2012.

One of the witnesses, a 17-year-old, told Judge Thomas Lipps that he used his cell phone to record Mays putting his fingers inside the girl's vagina during a drive from one party to another. The boy said he deleted the video the next morning when he realized it was wrong.

Defense lawyers tried to dismantle what prosecutors said was the central argument in the case -- whether the girl was too drunk to understand what was happening to her. The defense challenged whether all three witnesses were reconstructing events from memory or from the text messages and cell phone images.

According to prosecutors, Richmond and Mays each penetrated the victim's vagina with their fingers, an act that constitutes rape under Ohio law.

Mays also is accused of illegal use of a minor in nudity oriented material.

Lawyers for the accused teens say the two are innocent.

The teen witness, whom CNN is not identifying because of his age, was identified as a friend of Mays and Richmond as well as a Steubenville High School football player and wrestler.

The teen also told the court Mays later attempted to have the girl perform a sex act on him in the basement of a home, where they ended up after the initial alleged incident in the car.

"She didn't really respond to it," he said.

CNN is not naming the girl in line with its policy of not identifying the alleged victims of sexual assault. CNN also is not naming the minors who are testifying but is identifying Mays and Richmond, whose names have been used by court officials and their attorneys and in multiple media accounts.

A second witness, 18-year-old Evan Westlake, told the judge he saw Richmond digitally penetrate the girl in the basement of the home where they ended up after the parties.

On cross-examination, Richmond's attorney, Walter Madison, challenged whether Westlake's was trying to right a wrong through his testimony.

"I felt a lot of regret, difficult to face my family knowing they knew what I had done," Westlake testified.

A third witness, 18-year-old Anthony Craig, testified he saw Richmond digitally penetrate the girl in the basement.

"She wasn't moving. She wasn't talking. She wasn't participating," he told the court. Craig was identified in as a Steubenville High School wrestler and friend of Mays and Richmond.

The teen, who testified the alleged victim was also a friend, admitted to taking a cell phone picture of the girl when she was naked in the basement and then showing it later to friends. Asked why, he responded: "It was stupid."

The teens testified only after Lipps, who is presiding over the trial without a jury, granted them immunity from prosecution. All three initially attempted to invoke the Fifth Amendment against self-incrimination.

The testimony came a day after prosecutors presented text messages they said were between Mays and various people, and the alleged victim.

Prosecutors contend the texts between Mays and his friends and classmates on August 12 detail a night of heavy drinking and the sexual abuse of the girl.

Some of the messages were between Mays and the alleged victim.

In one message she asks what happened "last night."

"And don't lie about anything. I need to know the truth. People keep asking. Idk (I don't know) what to say," the message said, according to Joann Gibb, a computer forensic investigator with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, who read the messages to the court on Thursday.

Mays responded that "nothing happened last night," but he told her in the message she performed a sex act on him, Gibb testified.

In some of the messages from Mays, according to Gibb, he writes that he had sex with the girl. In others, he says the girl performed a sex act on him.

One message asked Mays: " Did u do it?"

He responded, according to Gibb: "No, lol. She could barely move."

Still another graphic message from Mays to a friend appeared to detail his anger over being accused of rape.

"I'm pissed all I got was a hand job, though. I should have raped since everyone thinks I did," the message said, according to Gibb.

The defense questioned the validity of the messages, with Mays' attorney asking computer forensic expert Gibb whether she could be absolutely sure the messages were from his client.

"I can't put a person behind a cell phone," she said.

In earlier testimony, teens who attended some of the booze-soaked parties testified the girl
appeared to be drunk, stumbling and slurring words.

But on cross-examination some said she seemed to be able to walk and answer questions.

The trial, which is likely to stretch into the weekend, is moving quickly to accommodate the schedule of the judge. A verdict is expected by Sunday.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Alleged victim in Steubenville rape case takes stand

Post by raine1953 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:07 pm

(CNN) -- A teenage girl at the center of an alleged rape by two Steubenville, Ohio, high school football players took the stand Saturday.
High school football players Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, are accused of raping the 16-year-old girl, who prosecutors contend was drunk, during a series of end-of-summer parties in August 2012.
According to prosecutors, Richmond and Mays each penetrated the alleged victim's vagina with their fingers, an act that constitutes rape under Ohio law. Attorneys for the two boys say they are innocent.
The trial, in its fourth day, has gained national attention because of the lurid text messages, cell phone pictures and videos and social media posts surrounding the alleged sexual abuse of the girl.
Mays and Richmond are being tried before visiting Judge Tom Lipps, without a jury. The trial is moving quickly -- and through the weekend -- to accommodate the schedule of the judge.
If the two boys are convicted of the juvenile charges, they face the possibility of being jailed until they are 21.

CNN's policy is not to identify alleged victims of sexual assault. CNN is not naming the minors who are testifying but is identifying Mays and Richmond, whose names have been used by court officials, their attorneys and in multiple media accounts.
Earlier in the day, attorneys for Mays and Richmond challenged the memory and integrity of the alleged victim, calling two of the 16-year-old girl's former best friends to testify.
One witness, a 17-year-old, testified the alleged victim told her she believed she had been drugged the night of the alleged assault, an allegation the witness said she did not believe because the girl "lies about things."
The teen witnesses, who described themselves as classmates and former best friends of the girl, told the court they saw the alleged victim drinking. She drank more than two shots and fours beers, a 16-year-old witness said.
The defense attempted to question the two teens about the alleged victim's past history, but the judge did not allow most of the line of questioning. Ohio, like most states, has a rape shield law that limits the amount of information of an alleged victim's past that can be explored in court.
The 17-year-old witness said she picked the alleged victim up the next morning from someone's home and asked her what happened.
In the car, the alleged victim said, "We didn't have sex, I swear. I don't know what happened. I don't remember," the teen testified.
Teen rape trial shines unwelcome spotlight on Ohio town
On Friday, three teens testified that they saw Mays and Richmond engage in sexual contact with the girl. All three have been granted immunity from prosecution.
One of the witnesses -- identified as a 17-year-old friend of Mays and Richmond and a Steubenville football player and wrestler -- testified that he used his cell phone to record Mays putting his fingers inside the girl's vagina during a drive from one party to another. He said he deleted the video the next morning when he realized it was wrong.
The teen also testified that Mays later attempted to have the girl perform a sex act on him in the basement of a home.
"She didn't really respond to it," he said.
That witness also admitted taking a nude cell phone picture of the girl while she was in the basement and showing them to friends.
"It was stupid," he said.
Evan Westlake, 18, told the judge on Friday that he saw Richmond digitally penetrate the girl in the basement. Richmond's attorney, Walter Madison, challenged whether Westlake was trying to right a wrong through his testimony.
"I felt a lot of regret, difficult to face my family knowing they knew what I had done," Westlake testified.
Anthony Craig, 18, also testified Friday that he saw Richmond digitally penetrate the girl in the basement.
"She wasn't moving. She wasn't talking. She wasn't participating," he said.
In earlier testimony, teens who attended some of the booze-soaked parties testified the girl appeared to be drunk, stumbling and slurring words. But on cross-examination some said she seemed able to walk and answer questions.
Teens treated girl 'like a toy,' prosecutor says.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Trent Mays & Ma'lik Richmond,16, reportedly raped a 16 yo girl in Steubenville, OH. Video of the boys joking about the alleged victim surfaced.Update: 2 more girls pictures have surfaced of them being raped! FOUND GUILTY!!!!

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Anthony Craig, 18, also testified Friday that he saw Richmond digitally penetrate the girl in the basement.
"She wasn't moving. She wasn't talking. She wasn't participating," he said.
BS la la la ruled omg Whip

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Ohio rape trial comes to a close, verdict Sunday

Post by raine1953 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:53 pm

The much-publicized rape trial of two Steubenville, Ohio high school football players accused of assaulting an intoxicated 16-year-old West Virginia girl ended Saturday. Judge Thomas Lipps says he will announce his verdict Sunday after reviewing evidence from the four-day trial, the Associated Press reports.

Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, are charged in juvenile court with raping the girl after a party last summer. Both maintain their innocence. If found guilty they could be held in juvenile jail until they turn 21.

The accuser took the stand Saturday and testified that she could not recall what happened the night of the attack before waking up naked in a strange house.

The alleged victim said she drank a mixed drink, spiked punch and a shot before leaving the party with Mays, WKYC in Cleveland reports. The girl said she suspects she was drugged because of how intoxicated she became that night.

"I remember walking down the steps and in the street. That was it," she said.

The prosecution says Mays and Richmond sexually assaulted the intoxicated girl in the back of a car, and later in the basement of a house where she later awoke, naked. She testified she could not find her cell phone, earrings, shoes or underwear.

"It was really scary," she testified. "I was embarrassed and scared. I didn't know what to think. I couldn't remember. I woke up with no clothes on. I didn't know what happened at all."

The girl said she did not learn of the alleged assault until she saw a photo from that night and a friend gave her the link to a video posted on Youtube in which a student joked about the assault.

When the accuser was shown a nude photo of herself that students had shared through text messages, she broke down and cried on the stand.

"I was just not myself . I wasn't being myself," the girl said.

She testified she does not remember being photographed as Mays and Richmond carried her, in an image that was widely circulated on social media sites.

Earlier Saturday, the defense questioned witnesses who called the accuser's credibility into question.

Gionna Anile, a former friend of the alleged victim testified she tried to stop the girl from leaving the party with the Mays and Richmond.

"She would not listen to me," Anile said. "I tried to pull her back, saying 'let's go.' She swung her arm at me."

Anile testified she picked up the alleged victim the next morning where she found her laying on a couch in the basement of a Steubenville student's home, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

The alleged victim did not seem upset, Anile said, and was primarily concerned with finding her cell phone.

Anile asked the girl what happened the night before.

"We didn't have sex, I swear," the alleged victim said at first, according to Anile. But soon after that the girl said she didn't remember what happened.

West Virginia high school student Kelsey Weaver said the accuser told her what happened two days after the alleged attack then, sometime afterward, told Weaver she couldn't remember what happened.

"So two different versions?" asked Mays'attorney Adam Nemann.

"Yes," Weaver replied.

Weaver also said the accuser had been flirting with Richmond at the party.

Both Weaver and Anile testified that they were upset with the alleged victim the night of the party because she was drinking heavily. They both said has a history of drinking and has lied about things in the past.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:26 pm

I don't care..she was sexually assaulted more than once. Did she ask for it? Depends on how each person thinks. I do beleive she was drugged with probably a "roofie".

I SO hope these idiots are convicted!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:15 pm

agreed
But there's others that should at least be prosecuted as an accessory.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:59 am

And, I definitely Agree with You!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Steubenville Rape Trial Verdict: Trent Mays, Ma'lik Richmond Found Guilty

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:48 am

Posted: 03/17/2013 10:14 am EDT | Updated: 03/17/2013 10:30 am EDT

A judge announced on Sunday that the defendants in the Steubenville rape trial were found guilty.

Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond had been accused of sexually assaulting a female acquaintance while she was severely intoxicated. Video and photo footage from the night of the incident spread across the internet soon after, drawing national attention to the case.

Mays and Richmond, both football players at Steubenville High School, received delinquent verdicts on all three charges. Delinquent is the guilty equivalent for juveniles. They were both convicted of digitally penetrating the West Virginia girl, and Mays was also found guilty of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material. The boys will serve their sentence at a juvenile detention facility until they turn 21.

The defendants and their family members openly wept at the verdict.

The victim, who has not been identified, testified in court on Saturday that she did not remember the attack, but that she remembered waking up naked a house she did not recognize. Other members of the small Ohio community also testified against the defendants.

Here's more on the case from the AP:

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio — Two members of the high school football team that is the pride of Steubenville were found guilty Sunday of raping a drunken 16-year-old girl in a case that bitterly divided the Rust Belt city and led to accusations of a cover-up to protect the community's athletes.

Steubenville High School students Trent Mays and Ma'Lik Richmond face a possible sentence of detention in juvenile jail until they turn 21, capping a case that came to light via a barrage of morning-after text messages, social media posts and online photos and video.

Both broke down in tears after the verdict was read.

Mays, 17, and Richmond, 16, were charged with digitally penetrating the West Virginia girl, first in the back seat of a moving car after an alcohol-fueled party on Aug. 11, and then in the basement of a house. Mays was also found guilty on a charge of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material.

The case roiled the community amid allegations that more students should have been charged and led to questions about the influence of the local football team, a source of a pride in a community of 18,000 that suffered massive job losses with the collapse of the steel industry. Their arms linked, protesters stood outside the courthouse Sunday morning awaiting the verdict, some wearing masks.

The trial opened last week as a contest between prosecutors determined to show the girl was so drunk she couldn't have been a willing participant that night, and defense attorneys soliciting testimony from witnesses that would indicate that the girl, though drunk, knew what she was doing.

The teenage girl testified Saturday that she could not recall what happened the night of the attack but remembered waking up naked in a strange house after drinking at a party. The girl said she recalled drinking, leaving the party holding hands with Mays and throwing up later. When she woke up, she said she discovered her phone, earrings, shoes, and underwear were missing, she testified.

"It was really scary," she said. "I honestly did not know what to think because I could not remember anything."

The girl said she believed she was assaulted when she later read text messages among friends and saw a photo of herself taken that night, along with a video that made fun of her and the alleged attack. She said she suspected she had been drugged because she couldn't explain being as intoxicated as defense witnesses have said she was.

"They treated her like a toy," said special prosecutor Marianne Hemmeter.

Evidence introduced at the trial included graphic text messages sent by numerous students after the night of the party, including by the accuser, containing provocative descriptions of sex acts and obscene language. Lawyers noted during the trial how texts have seemed to replace talking on the phone for contemporary teens. A computer forensic expert called by the state documented tens of thousands of texts found on 17 phones seized during the investigation.

The girl herself recalled being in a car later with Mays and Richmond and asking them what happened.

"They kept telling me I was a hassle and they took care of me," she testified. "I thought I could trust him (Mays) until I saw the pictures and video."

In questioning her account, defense attorneys went after her character and credibility. Two former friends of the girl testified that the accuser had a history of drinking heavily and was known to lie.

"The reality is, she drank, she has a reputation for telling lies," said lawyer Walter Madison, representing Richmond.

The two girls testified they were angry at the accuser because she was drinking heavily at the party and rolling around on the floor. They said they tried unsuccessfully to get her to stop drinking.

The accuser said that she does not remember being photographed as she was carried by Mays and Richmond, an image that stirred up outrage, first locally, then globally, as it spread online. Others have testified the photo was a joke and the girl was conscious when it was taken.

The photograph led to allegations that three other boys, two of them members of Steubenville High's celebrated Big Red team, saw something happening that night and didn't try to stop it but instead recorded it.

The three boys weren't charged, fueling months of online accusations of a cover-up to protect the team, which law enforcement authorities have vehemently denied.

Instead, the teens were granted immunity to testify, and their accounts helped incriminate the defendants. They said the girl was so drunk she didn't seem to know what was happening to her and confirmed she was digitally penetrated in a car and later on a basement floor.

Ohio's attorney general planned to announce later Sunday whether additional charges will be brought in the case, including against the three other boys.

Mays and Richmond were determined to be delinquent, the juvenile equivalent of guilty, Judge Thomas Lipps ruled in the juvenile court trial without a jury.

The Associated Press normally doesn't identify minors charged in juvenile court, but Mays and Richmond have been widely identified in news coverage, and their names have been used in open court. The AP also does not generally identify people who say they were victims of sex crimes.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Steubenville High School Football Players Convicted of Raping Teen

Post by raine1953 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Two members of the high school football team that is the pride of Steubenville, Ohio, were found guilty Sunday of raping a drunken 16-year-old girl in a case that bitterly divided the Rust Belt city and led to accusations of a cover-up to protect the community's athletes.

Steubenville High School students Trent Mays and Ma'Lik Richmond were sentenced to at least a year in juvenile jail, capping a case that came to light via a barrage of morning-after text messages, social media posts and online photos and video. Mays was sentenced to an additional year in jail on a charge of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material, to be served after his rape sentence is completed.

The two teens broke down in tears after the verdict was read and later apologized to the victim and to the community. Both were emotional as they spoke, and Richmond struggled at times to talk through his sobs. Richmond's father, Nathaniel, also asked that the victim's family "forgive Malik and Trent for the pain they put you through."

Mays, 17, and Richmond, 16, were charged with digitally penetrating the West Virginia girl, first in the back seat of a moving car after an alcohol-fueled party on Aug. 11, and then in the basement of a house.

The case roiled the community amid allegations that more students should have been charged – accusations that Ohio's attorney general pledged to look into – and led to questions about the influence of the local football team, a source of a pride in a community of 18,000 that suffered massive job losses with the collapse of the steel industry. Their arms linked, protesters who sought guilty verdicts stood outside the courthouse Sunday morning, some wearing masks.

The trial opened last week as a contest between prosecutors determined to show the girl was so drunk she couldn't have been a willing participant that night, and defense attorneys soliciting testimony from witnesses that would indicate that the girl, though drunk, knew what she was doing.

The teenage girl testified Saturday that she could not recall what happened the night of the attack but remembered waking up naked in a strange house after drinking at a party. The girl said she recalled drinking, leaving the party holding hands with Mays and throwing up later. When she woke up, she said she discovered her phone, earrings, shoes, and underwear were missing, she testified.

Ma'lik Richmond
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Oh, boo hoo bs!! He should have thought of that before he decided to rape this poor defeseless girl. These damned kids and their hormones and their sense of entitlement make me sick!!

Justice Prevailed!! :cheering:

I hope kids all over the world read about this case and learn what happens when you play with fire.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:08 am

Grand Jury Could Mean Additional Steubenville Charges

By CHRISTINA NG (@ChristinaNg27)
March 17, 2013
Ohio attorney general Mike DeWine announced today that the state will be convening a grand jury to investigate whether there could be additional indictments or charges in the Steubenville rape case.

"A grand jury is an investigative tool that is uniquely suited to ensure fairness and to complete this investigation," DeWine said at a news conference after today's verdict. "And this community needs assurance that no stone has been left unturned in our search for the truth."

Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, were both found delinquent -- the juvenile court equivalent of guilty -- today of the sexual assault of an intoxicated 16-year-old girl.

Both were sentenced to at least one year in juvenile jail and could be held until they are 21 years old. Mays was sentenced to an additional year for a charge related to distributing nude images of a minor.

Attorneys for both of the defendents said they plan to appeal.

"A prosecutor's most important duty is to seek justice. I believe with these verdicts that justice has been done," DeWine said. "However, this is not a happy time for anyone. Every rape is a tragedy. This is a tragedy."

DeWine said investigators identified 43 people who attended at least one of the two parties where the assaults took place. Authorities interviewed 27 of those people, but the 16 others refused to cooperate for various reasons.

Additionally, the owners of one of the homes where one of the parties took place was interviewed as well as dozens of school officials.

The contents of 13 cell phones were analyzed, which amounted to 396,270 text messages, 308,586 photos, 940 videos, 3,188 phone calls and 16,422 contacts.

DeWine asked the Jefferson County Common Pleas Court to convene a grand jury to meet on or around April 15. Evidence will be presented and DeWine said he expected that numerous witnesses will be called to testify. The grand jury does not necessarily mean that there will be additional charges or indictments, but it is possible.

The attorney general also addressed the large role of social media in the case.

The victim, who said she did not remember the assault, pieced together the night's events from Twitter, Instagram photos, a YouTube video, text messages and witnesses.

"This has been particularly hard for the victim and her family," DeWine said. "As I said already, any rape is a tragedy. But, it is even more of a tragedy when that victim is continually re-victimized in the social media."

The case, fueled by social media, is also reflective of today's hyper-connected world.

"The case symbolizes the power of new media in the culture," ABC News legal analyst Royal Oakes told ABC News Radio. "The keys to the government's case came from cell phone pictures, texts and tweets. Increasingly, fingerprints and confessions are being replaced by cyber evidence."

Oakes said that text message evidence can be much harder to explain than a vague phone call.

Internet security and privacy lawyer Parry Aftab said that there is very little social media privacy when law enforcement gets involved. In a legal case, search warrants and subpoenas can be obtained despite cries for privacy.

"Social media is allowing more people to act out and commit crimes than they were before it," Aftab said. "It also allows law enforcement and prosecutors to gather more evidence to help them solve crimes and prosecute them."

DeWine also prioritized the need to educate young people, condemning "cavalier" attitudes about rape and sex.

"Everything that has happened in Steubenville has been very difficult -- very, very sad -- and very tragic," he said. "But let me be clear -- this is not just a Steubenville problem. This is a societal problem.

"What's even more appalling is that crimes of sexual assault are occurring every Friday night and every Saturday night in big and small communities around this country," DeWine said. "And there comes a point where we must say enough. This has to stop."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal 2 charged with threatening girl in Ohio rape case

Post by raine1953 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:14 pm

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio -- Two Ohio girls were arrested after making threats on Facebook and Twitter against a West Virginia girl who accused two high school football players of raping her.

The girls were arrested Monday, the day after the two players were found guilty of raping the drunken 16-year-old girl during an all-night party in August.

Ohio State Attorney General Mike DeWine says the girls are being held in juvenile detention on allegations of aggravated menacing.

The arrests come a day after DeWine announced a grand jury will convene next month to determine whether others broke the law by not speaking up after the attack last summer.

"We're going to push this thing as fast as we can. Bring finality to this to determine if there's anybody else that should be charged," DeWine said. "And then the community needs to move on."

DeWine said coaches, parents and other students may face charges. Text messages introduced at the trial suggested a coach was aware of the rape allegation early on. The coach and the school district have declined to comment.
more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Video at link
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:37 am

These girls are downright idiots for threatening this poor girl.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:20 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:24 am

The above pisses me off!! I have NO pity for these rapists!! angry

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Prevent Another Steubenville: What All Mothers Must Do for Their Sons

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Kim Simon
Mother, Wife, Blogger, mamabythebay.com

Posted: 03/18/2013 5:05 pm

When Max was just a few months old, I sat cross-legged on the floor with him in a circle of other mothers. The facilitator for our "Mommy and Me" playgroup would throw a question out to the group, and we would each volley back an answer.

"What quality do you want to instill in your child? What personality characteristic would you most like for your son to be known for?" she asked.

One by one, the mothers answered. "Athletic," "good sense of humor," "brave," "smart," "strong."

The answers blended together until it was my turn to speak. I looked down at the tiny human wiggling around on the blanket in front of me with his perfectly round nose and his full lips that mirrored mine. I stroked the top of his very bald head and said with confidence: "kind."

I want my son to grow up to be kind.

The eyes of the other mothers turned towards me. "That's not always a word that you hear used for boys," one said. "But yes, you're right... so I guess, me too." At the end of the day, we wanted our tiny, fragile, helpless baby boys to grow up to be kind. Strong, resilient, athletic, funny... but above all else, kind.

Max is almost 4 years old. He knows nothing about the horrific things that young men did to a young woman on the saddest night that Steubenville has ever seen. He doesn't know, but I sure do. I know that someone's daughter was violated in the most violent way possible, by someone's son. By many sons. The blame for that night falls squarely on the shoulders of the young men who made terrible choices, but it also falls in the laps of their parents.

Sexual assault is about power and control. But it is also about so much more. While it's true that big scary monster men sometimes jump out of bushes to rape unsuspecting women, most rapists look like the men who we see every day. Acquaintance rape (or date rape) accounts for the majority of sexual assaults that we see among young people. In colleges, in high schools, at parties, in the cars and bedrooms that belong to the men who women trust. These men are your fraternity brothers, your athletes, your church-going friends, the young neighbor who mows your lawn. They are somebody's son. Date rape is often saturated with entitlement. It feeds off of the hero worship that grows rampant like weeds on school campuses and in locker rooms. Young men are taught to be strong, to be athletes, to be feared. Young women are taught to be meek, to be feminine, to be small. As our young people begin to sort out relationships with each other and relationships with alcohol, they encounter an endless menu of ways to hurt each other.

As a community, we give our athletes free reign. Young men are filled with the heavy power of triumph, their heroism illuminated by the bright lights of a brisk Friday night football game. Young cheerleaders spend hours painting signs for them, adorning hallways with flourescent notes of encouragement. Young men are known by their football number, their last touchdown pass, their ability to get any girl they choose. Young women fill the stands with hopeful smiles, dying to be noticed.

We have created this. We have allowed this. We choose not to demand more from our young men, because we see how big they grow in the spotlight. We give them adult power, without instilling in them an adult sense of responsibility and ethics.

Moms, it is time. Now is the time to make this stop. If you are the mother of a son, you can prevent the next Steubenville.

It doesn't matter if your boy is 4 or 14 or 24. Start now.

We must teach our boys to be kind. Teaching empathy, compassion and awareness needs to begin as early as possible. A toddler can learn how to use words of kindness: "Friend, are you OK?" "I'm sorry friend, did you get a boo-boo?" Encourage tiny boys to be aware of how others are feeling. Name what they see. "Mommy is sad right now, honey. Our friend G is sick, and I want her to feel better."

Give children tasks that they can do to help someone in need. Write letters of gratitude to take to the local firehouse. Bring dinner to a mother on bedrest. Choose a toy to share with the new child that just joined your preschool class. Teach your child to go towards a child who is upset, instead of walking away. When I picked Max up from school the other day, his teacher remarked on how "kind" he was. He checks in on other students. He runs to them when they get hurt. At first, I was embarassed... oh, how my husband will tease me for instilling my "Social Worker" traits in our son. He must be brave and tough instead. But I am so proud that he is kind. That he is a helper. That he sees the emotions of those around him. Would he have hurt for the girl in Steubenville? Would he have felt her fear and said something? Teach your sons to tune in. Name emotions for them. Give them words to match their feelings.

We must teach our boys what it truly means to be brave. Bravery doesn't always feel good. I've heard it said that "courage is being afraid, and doing it anyway." How many of those young men in Steubenville knew in their sweet boy hearts that what was happening was wrong, but still they remained silent? They were afraid to ruin their own hard-earned reputations, afraid of what their peers would think of them. They were afraid of getting in trouble, afraid they wouldn't know what to say. Teach your boys that bravery can be terrifying. Courage can be demanded of you at the most inopportune times. Let them know that your expectation is that they are brave enough to rise to the occasion. And show them how.

We must not shy away from telling our sons the truth about sex. Of course this looks different in a conversation with a 4-year-old than it does with a 12-year-old. In our house, we are still working on giving body parts their appropriate names. Making family rules about how we always wear clothes when people come to visit (OK, Sean and I are good on that one, but Max keeps answering the door in his underwear.) As uncomfortable as it is, the conversation needs to evolve as your boy gets older. Sex feels good. Sex is overwhelming. Sex is confusing. Sex tricks you into thinking that you are recieving what you need (physical satisfaction, comfort, companionship, love, respect). Sex education is more than just giving your child condoms and reminding them about STDS. As parents, we need to worry about our sons being respectful of their sexual partners, not just about them getting someone pregnant. Our boys need to know that they will find themselves at a crossroads one night, or on multiple nights. Their body will be telling them one thing, and their partner may be telling them another. It is a young man's responsibility to listen to his partner. Explain to your son what consent looks like (and doesn't look like). They need to know what sex looks like. Not the Playboy/online porn version, but the logistics of how it actually works. Teach them to ask their partners. Teach them to check in as they take the next step with someone. Teach them to stop if they don't think they're getting a clear answer.

We must give our sons the tools they need to protect themselves and each other. Can your teenager call you in the middle of the night, no questions asked? Can they tell you the truth, without you flipping out and getting angry? Do they trust that you are on their team, that you will sit down and talk things through with them, making a calm plan together? Role play with your son about how to find help, who to go to for help, what numbers to call. An embarassed, terrified bystander in Steubenville could have quietly snuck outside to call the police for help. Or to text an anonymous tip. Or to call a parent or older sibling for advice. Instead, at least a dozen sons were paralyzed by fear. And intoxicated. And probably overwhelmed by the sexual feelings of their own that they were experiencing... feelings that they were never given the context for.

Give your son the tools they need to understand that their sexuality is a powerful thing, one that they are solely responsible for. Give them a framework for understanding that sex carries an enormous responsibility, not just to themselves, but to their partners. Does your son know what rape is? Does he know what it means? Does he know that it's not just creepy smelly guys who hide in alleys who are responsible for rape? That it's his peers? That in someone else's eyes, it could be him? Discuss the ways that a woman can give consent. Pull the curtains back on the grey areas, and demand that your son learns how to communicate with his partner... whether it's his first time or his 50th time.

When I found out that I was having a son, I was relieved at first. I thought I had dodged a bullet, not having a daughter who I would have to protect from the big, scary, violent world that is still so unkind to women. This will be so much easier, I thought. But it's not.

It's harder.

I am now pregnant with my second son. As a feminist and a mother, a survivor and an activist, a human and a writer, I have discovered that my job in preventing sexual assault is even bigger than it would be if I had a daughter. Because every rapist is someone's son. We have the chance to fix that, one little boy at a time.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal After Steubenville: Ma’lik Richmond to Appeal His Assault Conviction

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:31 am

By CAROLYN CASTIGLIA | March 20th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

The Atlantic Wire reports that Steubenville High School football player Ma’lik Richmond, who was convicted Sunday of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl, will appeal his guilty verdict using the claim “that the 16-year-old rapist’s brain wasn’t “developed” enough” so he “should not have to be on a sex offenders list for life.”

Since Sunday, many bloggers have reminded anyone critical of the sentencing in this case that the victim – who Richmond and Trent Mays raped in August – will have to live with what was done to her for the rest of her life. Some might take from that, then, that Mays and Richmond should be branded as perpetrators for the rest of their lives as well. I’m not sure I agree that these boys should be on a sex offenders registry for life, but I’m not sure they shouldn’t be, either. I was moved by the points in this post by Black Girl Dangerous wherein she talks about the failings of the criminal justice system to rehabilitate offenders, but I also believe that these boys were treated fairly by being tried as juveniles and given a fair sentence in juvenile detention. Perhaps they should be given a chance to start fresh when they turn 21. I think that’s worth considering. What I don’t think is worth considering, however, is appealing the guilty verdict.

There is no doubt in the public or the judge’s mind that everyone involved in the drugging and gang assault of this young girl is guilty. The social media evidence in this case is shockingly graphic and leaves no room for doubt. Richmond’s lawyer knows that his client is guilty, so he’s going to appeal using brain development as a last-ditch-effort technicality. While it’s true that the human brain isn’t fully formed until about age 25, that’s no excuse not to hold teenagers accountable for their actions. Richmond’s lawyer certainly believes that, since he tried to hold a girl who was drunk and drugged accountable for being dragged from party to party that fateful night, alleging that she was functional enough to make decisions. That perverse logic is so sickening, and then to fully flip the script and say his client’s brain isn’t developed enough for him to know what he was doing is even more abhorrent, but it should come as no surprise in our bully culture or rape culture or whatever you want to call it. We all recognize now that America is a land filled with sad, weak, angry, entitled and selfish narcissists who will say whatever they want – constantly contradicting themselves and being hypocritical – to get their desired result, which is the ability to do whatever they want without being held accountable.

I have thought about this and talked about this and written about the narcissist-victim dynamic every single day for the past several years, and I have felt a lot of grief and despair and helplessness and hopelessness over it. Recently, though, the tides have turned, and I don’t feel helpless anymore. I don’t have to, because I see all of the brilliantly brave, wonderful, kind and strong people willing to stick their necks out for the common good and common decency and common sense. People like Alexandria Goddard, the blogger who first broke the story of the Steubenville case in a way that got national attention, who spent hours taking screen shots of the very evidence used to convict the perpetrators of this heinous crime. People like Katie McDonough at Salon who wrote this article asking why Steubenville head football coach Reno Saccoccia hasn’t been fired even though he knew about the rape and didn’t report it, which is a crime in Ohio. The hacks at anonymous who pushed the Steubenville story to a new level. The people of Occupy Wall Street. Parents who tour the country fighting bullying in schools. This dying soldier who is calling out the leaders who sent him to Iraq for their lies and flagrant abuse of power. I could list so many more examples. People everywhere are waking up and taking a stand against narcissistic abuse. The imbalance of power and wealth in this country cannot and will not last forever.

What will help this process of cultural awakening is for more and more people to understand what narcissism really is and where it stems from. Bullies and rapists don’t come from nowhere. We live in a culture that supports bullies and rapists because we live in a highly competitive, capitalist society. I’m not going to bother to try to dismantle free-market capitalism right now 1) because I don’t have the economic knowledge to do it and 2) I don’t need to to further my point. I mention our economic and business construct simply to remind you of the overall tone of the culture that we live in, the “dog-eat-dog” world that we exist in.

When people feel threatened in a stressful, competitive environment, they react one of two ways: they retreat, or they attack. This is very basic stuff. What we don’t fully seem to understand yet, but what Americans of all stripes are really becoming aware of, is that what narcissists do after they attack is deflect responsibility. They shift blame. It’s a very child-like way to behave.

“Sweetie, did you write on the wall with crayon?” “No, the dog did it.”

That argument is really no different than, “Ma’lik, did you rape that girl?” “No. My body did it, but my brain didn’t.”

Now, narcissists will not allow YOU – their victims – the same type of out when it comes to holding you accountable. Girls are raped because their skirts are too short, they’re too drunk, they’re not protecting themselves, they’re whores, etc. Narcissists are – in their own minds – never responsible for anything they do. It is always someone else’s fault that they behave badly. Often criminally. Sometimes murderously.

And how they get away with this rationale – how they snow us all into pitying them and believing them – is because they use the compassion they know we feel to try to manipulate themselves into seeming innocent. So, for example, in the Jodi Arias trial, where we know she brutally murdered her ex-boyfriend, Arias is claiming he raped her, and psychologists for the defense claim that she had PTSD, and that’s why she killed him. Arias knows that compassionate, conscience-bound people don’t like to see women raped, so she’s using what is most likely a lie to try to deflect responsibility for murdering a man. (To quote CBS News: “She faces the death penalty if convicted of first-degree murder in the June 2008 death of Travis Alexander in his suburban Phoenix home. Authorities say she planned the attack in a jealous rage. Arias initially told authorities she had nothing to do with it then blamed it on masked intruders. Two years after her arrest, she said it was self-defense.” See also Casey Anthony.) Narcissists know that “good” people are reticent to see someone punished undeservedly, so they exploit that weakness and constantly wiggle their way out of trouble.

The good news is, people have had enough. We are not without compassion, but we are not going to stand for unchecked abuses any longer.

I, too, have compassion for most of the narcissists I see featured in all of these news stories that stream across our feeds day in and day out. As I said, they’re not created out of nowhere. The entire town of Steubenville for generations has taught its boys that they are heroes and that they should rape and pillage and that if they don’t they are pussies. People are bullied into becoming bullies. Their souls are raped into becoming rapists. I’m not trying to give anyone a pass, but simply to say, if we really want change in the atmosphere of this nation, if we want to relate to one another differently, in a more compassionate way, we have got to start to be honest about what we think, what we feel, what we learned. We have to examine it and dismantle it and see the garbage parts for what they are, throw them out and move forward. We have to be willing to help people grow. We have to encourage people to go to f\'ing therapy, for chrissakes. We have to stop being so god damn snarky and demanding and demeaning all the time. I’m not saying we can’t use boisterous and passionate and rough-hewn language – I mean, if I’m anything, it’s a woman of the people, the salt of the earth. But I learned to be rough-and-tumble from my dad, a man who had the biggest heart of anyone I have ever met. He taught me that comedy and commentary – even when it’s critical – always comes from a place of love. When he called someone he knew a fuckin’ asshole – as he often did – he railed not out of hate, but because he was disappointed that things weren’t better. He taught me that you don’t have to hate in order to want things to be better. He showed me that hating the people who disappoint you isn’t necessary, and he proved that wanting things to be better meant that you actually cared about people and life.

It’s easy to understand, though, why hurt so quickly turns to hate. And this is how I think narcissists are born. A small child is picked on, neglected, hit, screamed at, whatever it is. No one is listening to him. He is alone. He doesn’t know how to express his feelings of abandonment. He is sad. That sadness turns to anger, and left unchecked it eventually morphs into the kind of seething, seeping loathing that created a culture full of people going, “f**k you, I want mines.” I want what’s mine. Mine. Give it to me. Give me something. And if you don’t, I’m just gonna take it. Because that’s what you get.

If we don’t stop forgetting in the fray of the crazed day-to-day that we are human so we can help each other all act humanely, not like anti-social monsters, we will be done in by the business of our own busy-ness. It is not too much to ask to offer time to one another. It is the only thing that matters.

I am not delusional here. I have done a lot of reading about what some healers call the “core wounds” of individuals and of our society at large. I know that what happens is that after a certain point, some hardened criminals, some of the emotionally wounded who are filled to the brim with self-loathing and therefore loathing for everyone around them are beyond hope of rehabilitation. At least for now. Because we haven’t really examined this giant scourge that plagues us, this very basic lack of fundamental love. That’s really all it is. Love, acceptance, encouragement, friendship, kindness, compassion. These are the things that keep us healthy. These are the things that keep us whole. I will never stop standing up for Universal Love and healing, even though bullies and rapists and narcissists will say that I am bullying them by doing so, by preventing them from trying to fill the hole with whatever they want. I don’t believe that anymore. I’m no longer fooled by manipulative, sick logic. I pray that we all continue to move forward fighting the good fight, knowing that we don’t have to believe what isn’t true, and we don’t have to be scared to speak truth to power, knowing what is right.

Ma’lik Richmond and Trent Mays and their friends and parents and teachers and coaches and drug-suppliers are all guilty of raping that one girl. Let us let what she has been through for the past 8 months mean something. When will we stop making a mockery of pain? When will we stop hurting each other because we feel hurt and then pretend that nothing is wrong? Everything is wrong, guys. But we can still make it right.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Former guardians defend Ma’lik Richmond

Post by Nama on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:26 am

Former guardians defend Ohio teen rape suspect
Jennifer and Greg Agresta, former guardians of Steubenville, Ohio high school football star Ma’lik Richmond, who has been accused of raping a teenage girl, told TODAY’s Matt Lauer, “we support him.” NBC’s Ron Allen reports on the case.

Visit NBCNews.com for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal 0/20 3/22: Steubenville: After the Party's Over Two football players, a drunk girl, cellphones -- and a local story becomes a national scandal.

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:54 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Convicted Steubenville teen classified as sex offender

Post by raine1953 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:09 am

(CNN) -- An Ohio judge Friday classified as a sex offender one of two Steubenville, Ohio, teenagers convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl last year.
Trent Mays, a former high school football player, must register every six months for 20 years with the sheriff and the county where he resides after he completes his sentence, Judge Thomas Lipps ruled, according to the court's chief probation officer, Fred Abdalla Jr.
In March, Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, were convicted after being tried as juveniles.
Mays was also found guilty of disseminating a nude photo of a minor. The assault of the girl was partially documented in texts, tweets and pictures posted to the Internet.
Mays was sentenced to a minimum of two years in a juvenile correctional facility. Richmond was sentenced to a minimum of one year, but like Mays, he could be in detention until he is 21.
While Mays' status was the subject of Friday's hearing, no hearing date has been set for Richmond, according to Abdalla.

Steubenville victim's mother speaks out

See what he does with passed-out girl

The teens were accused of raping the girl during a series of end-of-summer parties in August 2012.
The case received widespread attention after a blogger who once lived in Steubenville uncovered some materials posted to social media sites.
The blogger wrote about the possibility that the teenagers had been given preferential treatment because they played on the town's highly regarded football team. Police have denied that claim.
Later, the loosely organized hacker group Anonymous got involved, posting a lengthy video in which another teenager -- who has not been charged -- made joking references to the rape.

The ensuing ire over the case brought national attention and criticism to the city from around the country, leaving city officials struggling to defend the community and residents weary of the media spotlight.

Trent Mays must register as a sex offender every six months for the next 20 years, a judge in Ohio has ruled
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:45 am

He IS a SO, and a POS!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Steubenville Rape Case Update: William Rhinaman, school employee, charged with tampering with evidence

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:39 pm

October 8, 2013 10:26 AM

(CBS/AP) - A Steubenville school employee has been charged with interfering with a criminal matter related to the rape of a 16-year-old girl by two high school football players last year.
PICTURES: Steubenville Rape Trial

William Rhinaman, 53, is charged with tampering with evidence, obstructing justice, obstructing official business and perjury.

Without elaborating, Attorney General Mike DeWine said the charges are related to Rhinaman's job as a Steubenville city schools' information technology employee.

The charges are the first to come out of a grand jury whose formation was announced on March 17, 2013, the same day Trent Mays and Ma'Lik Richmond were convicted of the August 2012 rape in a juvenile court. The grand jury is investigating whether adults such as coaches or school administrators knew of the rape allegation but failed to report it as required by state law.

Allegations of a cover-up dogged the case, despite charges brought against the boys shortly after the attack. Attention was fueled by online activists who said more football players should have been charged. Three teens who saw the attacks, including two players, were granted immunity in exchange for their testimony.

On April 30, the day the grand jury began work, investigators searched Steubenville High School and the local school board offices.

Investigators also searched Vestige Digital Investigations, a digital forensics storage company in Medina, in northeast Ohio. The company's connection to the case was unclear, and it has denied it's the subject of a criminal investigation.

Rhinaman, 53, was scheduled to make his first court appearance Wednesday.

DeWine said the grand jury investigation is continuing.

Defense attorney Stephen Lamatrice says Rhinaman's position is that he did nothing wrong. He declined to comment further.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:40 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum