School officials confirm shooting at Atlanta middle school/14 yr old shot in head, suspect in custody/Victim will recover/LE now saying this is gang related/Presser this afternoon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal School officials confirm shooting at Atlanta middle school/14 yr old shot in head, suspect in custody/Victim will recover/LE now saying this is gang related/Presser this afternoon

Post by raine1953 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 pm

DEVELOPING -- Atlanta school officials confirm a shooting at Price Middle School in Georgia.
School officials say two people were wounded in the shooting. One 14-year-old victim was rushed to the hospital after being shot in the head, the Associated Press reports.
Police say they have two people in custody in connection with the shooting,
according to MyFoxAtlanta.com.
The school was placed on lockdown and authorities say parents are not being allowed to pick up their children at this time. Price Middle School is located in southwest Atlanta.
Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by raine1953 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: School officials confirm shooting at Atlanta middle school/14 yr old shot in head, suspect in custody/Victim will recover/LE now saying this is gang related/Presser this afternoon

Post by raine1953 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 pm

Another one! When will this madness end? Rhetorical.
I am having problems finding updates as this just came on the news wire, FYI. I don't want to post the same thing over and over.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: School officials confirm shooting at Atlanta middle school/14 yr old shot in head, suspect in custody/Victim will recover/LE now saying this is gang related/Presser this afternoon

Post by Nama on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 pm

Now Fox News is saying that multiple people were injured. Thank God they have a suspect in custody!

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 pm

raine1953 wrote:Another one! When will this madness end? Rhetorical.
I am having problems finding updates as this just came on the news wire, FYI. I don't want to post the same thing over and over.
Yes, just post NEW news as it comes in, Raine. Quality is good, quantity drives me nuts! I don't like reading the same thing over and over with different wording.
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Student hospitalized after shooting at Atlanta middle school

Post by raine1953 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 pm

DEVELOPING -- A 14-year-old girl reportedly was hospitalized after being shot in the head at an Atlanta middle school.
Atlanta Fire Capt. Marian McDaniel says the student was taken to Grady Hospital after a shooting took place outside of Price Middle School. WAGA reports the student was alert and conscious before she was taken to the hospital.
McDaniel says a teacher suffered minor cuts and bruises but was treated on the scene.
Police say a suspect, tentatively identified as a male student, has been taken into custody.
The school was placed on lockdown and authorities say parents are not being allowed to pick up their children at this time. Price Middle School is located south of Atlanta.

raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 pm

MyFoxAtlanta.com said three suspects were in custody.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:07 pm

BREAKING NEWS | ABC7 LOS ANGELES

Thursday, January 31, 2013

A 14-year-old student was hospitalized after being shot in the head at Price Middle School in Atlanta. Police say the student is "alert and conscious."

A suspect, tentatively identified as a student, is in custody, according to police. A teacher suffered minor cuts and bruises and was treated at the scene.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:48 pm

[Update 4:20 p.m. ET] Atlanta Public Schools confirmed both the victim and the suspect are students at Price Middle School.

[Update 4:16 p.m. ET] Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed issued the following statement:

"Gun violence in and around our schools is simply unconscionable and must end. Too many young people are being harmed, and too many families are suffering from unimaginable and unnecessary grief. I pray that the student who was shot today at Price Middle School in southwest Atlanta recovers quickly and can return home to family and friends. A suspect has been taken into custody. I would also like the students, faculty and families of the Price Middle School community to know that they have the full support of the City of Atlanta as they heal from today's terrible incident. The city's Employee Assistance Program counselors are already at the school providing guidance for students, faculty and family members."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:54 pm

[Update 4:45 p.m. ET] Students are being loaded onto buses for transport home or to a nearby church where parents have assembled to wait for their children.

Police detectives are interviewing the victim in the hospital, his mother told CNN affiliate WSB-TV. He knows the assailant, who the mother said was "talking smack" to her son before pulling out a gun and firing, the station said.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:08 pm

This is UNBELIEVABLE!! Thank God the 14 yo is OK!

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 pm

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Teen shot at Atlanta middle school, fellow student a suspect; other students safe
Authorities: Teen wounded at Ga. middle school

By KATE BRUMBACK | ASSOCIATED PRESS | 13 minutes ago in US

Authorities say a shooting at an Atlanta middle school that left one teen wounded was not random and the boy's injury does not appear to be life-threatening.

Atlanta police spokesman Carlos Campos said investigators are not certain what happened before Thursday's shooting at Price Middle School but believe something occurred between the two people involved.

The suspect is also a student at Price and has been taken into custody.

Campos says the wounded boy was shot in the back of the neck. He says a teacher received minor injuries in the "disorder" that followed the shooting.

Students at the school were kept inside for hours as their parents waited anxiously outside. By 5 p.m. children were being reunited with their parents.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

A 14-year-old boy was wounded outside a middle school Thursday afternoon and a fellow student was in custody as a suspect, authorities said. No other students were hurt.

Police swarmed Price Middle School just south of downtown Atlanta after reports of the shooting at 1:50 p.m., while a crowd of anxious parents gathered in the streets, awaiting word on their children. Students were being kept at the locked-down school some two hours after the shooting but television footage showed some of them being dismissed.

The wounded boy was taken "alert, conscious and breathing" to Grady Memorial Hospital, said Atlanta police spokesman Carlos Campos. Atlanta Public Schools said on their website that the suspect also was a student at Price.

Calls to the school district were not immediately returned.

Atlanta Fire Cpt. Marian McDaniel said the teen was shot in the back of the head and a teacher was treated at the scene for minor cuts.

Shakita Walker, whose daughter is an eighth-grader at the school, said she received a text from her that said "Ma somebody's shooting and somebody got shot." Walker, who works at another school, said she jumped in her car and was thinking "just hurry up and get there."

Walker said her daughter called to tell her that they were being kept in the gymnasium, but she said she was anxious to see her to make sure she was OK.

The fear and anxiety was palpable in the crowd, as one person yelled "Does anyone know what happened?"

Mayor Kasim Reed condemned gun violence in a statement shortly after the shooting and said counselors were already at the school to meet with students, faculty and family members.

"Gun violence in and around our schools is simply unconscionable and must end," Reed said. "Too many young people are being harmed, and too many families are suffering from unimaginable and unnecessary grief."

Outside the school, Laquanda Pittman said she still hasn't heard from her sixth-grade son. She said she heard the news of the shooting on TV and immediately came to the school.

"All types of stuff went through my head. I'm wondering whether it was my child who got shot, is my child OK, did he see what happened?" Pittman said.

She said she just wants to see her son.

"As a parent, you just think you can send your child to school and you hope they come home OK," she said.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 pm

BJ wrote:
raine1953 wrote:Another one! When will this madness end? Rhetorical.
Yes, just post NEW news as it comes in, Raine. Quality is good, quantity drives me nuts! I don't like reading the same thing over and over with different wording.
Add me to this list. agreed agreed agreed

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 pm

[Update 4:54 p.m. ET] Families are having joyful reunions as students pour out of four buses that have delivered them from Price Middle School in Atlanta, where a student was shot and wounded Thursday afternoon.

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 pm

School had "resource officer", metal detectors..they don't know how the gun got past the metal detector but thank God for the "resource officer"! They are needed in ALL schools. MOO.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:38 pm

Atlanta's police chief says an armed officer working at a city middle school where a student was shot was able to disarm the suspect, also a student, moments after the shooting.
Authorities say a 14-year-old boy was shot in the back of the neck Thursday at Price Middle School and his injury does not appear to be life-threatening. The suspect was taken into custody.

Chief George Turner says multiple shots were fired, and only the 14-year-old was wounded. After some initial confusion about the nature of a teacher's injuries, officials now say the teacher received minor cuts in the aftermath of the shooting.

Police spokesman Carlos Campos says investigators believe the shooting was not random and that something occurred between the two people involved that may have led up to it.

Students at the school were kept inside for hours as their parents waited anxiously outside. By 5p.m. children were being reunited with their parents.

Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis says the school has metal detectors and officials are looking into how the gun got on campus.

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:39 pm

Wrapitup wrote:School had "resource officer", metal detectors..they don't know how the gun got past the metal detector but thank God for the "resource officer"! They are needed in ALL schools. MOO.
I thought the shooting occurred outside of the building.
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Campos said that a small caliber handgun was retrieved at the scene.

Follow us: @myfoxdc on Twitter | myfoxdc on Facebook

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Atlanta middle school shooting victim released from hospital

By Marisa Gerber
This post has been updated, as indicated below.
January 31, 2013, 6:33 p.m.

The Atlanta boy who was shot in the back of the head by a fellow middle schooler Thursday afternoon was “conscious and talking” later in the day, authorities said.

The victim, a Price Middle School student whose name had not been released, got out of the hospital Thursday night, the Associated Press reported.

Earlier, Atlanta Public Schools Supt. Erroll Davis said at a televised press conference that the boy's family had expected his release.

After the shooter opened fire in a campus courtyard, the school’s armed officer jumped in, Atlanta Police Chief George Turner said.

“That particular officer was able to subdue the individual and have him … drop his weapon,” Turner said. “And he was able to take him into custody at the time of the incident.”

The shooter has not been identified.

The school was on lockdown much of the afternoon while authorities searched for evidence.

Davis said the campus has metal detectors.

“So the obvious question, of course, is how did this get past a metal detector?” Davis said. “We do not know.”

An adult on campus, described only as a paraprofessional, suffered minor injuries in the aftermath of the shooting, Davis said.

“When the children, of course, given all that has gone on in so many schools in this country, when they hear gunfire, they tend to panic, they tend to run,” Davis said. “If you fall down, you tend to get trampled, and I believe that’s what happened.”

[Update, 7:07 p.m. Jan. 31: An earlier version of this post said the victim's release from the hospital was expected. Now, he has been released.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 pm

BJ wrote:
Wrapitup wrote:School had "resource officer", metal detectors..they don't know how the gun got past the metal detector but thank God for the "resource officer"! They are needed in ALL schools. MOO.
I thought the shooting occurred outside of the building.
I was just quoting what the video I posted said. confused

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Telvis Douglas identified by family as shooting victim

Post by Nama on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Initial reports indicated the shooting victim was a girl, however, Atlanta Police spokesman Carlos Campos later said the victim was a 14-year-old boy.

Members of the teen's family identified the victim as 8th grader Telvis Douglas. They said he's a starting football player for the school.

Atlanta Public Schools public information officer Steve Alford said the gunshot wound was more toward the back of the neck, and indicated that Douglas was awake when taken to Grady Hospital.

Douglas' family says he is doing well, but they were not certain if he would be released Thursday night.

The second person hurt was a teacher who received some minor cuts and bruises in the confusion following the shooting. The teacher was also taken to Grady.

Alford said the shooting suspect was apprehended by police. Campos said the suspect was tentatively identified as a student. Campos went on to say the shooting happened outside the school building. Atlanta Public School officials confirmed that the suspect was a student at Price Middle School.

Price Middle School, along with nearby Carver High School and Slater Elementary School have been placed on lockdown, and parents are being asked not to come to the school to avoid any additional confusion in the area.

According to 11Alive's Julie Wolfe and Sam Crenshaw on the scene, the assistant principal of Price Middle School came out to tell assembled parents that their children are okay.

Students from Price were taken to nearby Emmanuel Baptist Church, which is where parents were able to pick up their children.

In a Thursday afternoon news conference, Atlanta School Superintendent Errol Davis said a school resource officer was on the scene and able to immediately take the suspect into custody following the shooting.

Atlanta Police Chief George Turner said in the same news conference that the suspect fired multiple shots, but that only Douglas was wounded. Campos said police investigators believe the shooting was not random and that something occurred between Douglas and the suspect that may have led to the shooting.

Davis said the school has metal detectors, and that school system officials are looking into how the gun got on campus.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said he is very concerned about the incident in a statement released from his office.
"Gun violence in and around our schools is simply unconscionable and must end. Too many young people are being harmed and too many families are suffering from unimaginable and unnecessary grief. I pray that the student who was shot today at Price Middle School in southwest Atlanta recovers quickly and can return home to family and friends. A suspect has been taken into custody. I would also like the students, faculty and families of the Price Middle School community to know that they have the full support of the City of Atlanta as they heal and move on from today's terrible incident. The city's Employee Assistance Program counselors are already at the school providing guidance for students, faculty and family members."

Atlanta City Council President Ceasar Mitchell was also concerned about the shooting. His office released a statement late Thursday afternoon.
"I was disheartened to learn of the shooting at Price Middle School earlier today. I will continue to pray for the student and teacher victims of today's incident, both of whom are recovering. I commend the swift action of the Price Middle School staff, the leadership of the Atlanta Public Schools and the Atlanta Police Department to ensure the safety of all other students. Gun violence connected with our young people has, yet again, taken an unfortunate toll on our community and our sense of safety. We are past the tipping point for action."

Televised helicopter images showed emergency vehicles and SWAT teams at the school building on the south side of Atlanta.

The neighborhood where the school is located is in what was once the Carver Homes Housing Project. The projects were razed and replaced with homes and apartments. Price Middle School and Carver High School were both built in recent years in the same area.

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:49 pm

14. pulling hair

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Police: Atlanta school shooting gang-related

Post by raine1953 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Atlanta Police on Friday said the student-on-student shooting Thurday at Price Middle School is being investigated by the department’s gang unit.
Students began returning to Price Middle School Friday morning, a day after a 14-year-old boy was shot by a fellow student.
A 14-year-old student was shot in the back of the neck Thursday on the grounds of Price Middle School in southeast Atlanta, conjuring up memories of the deadly shootings in Connecticut in December as terrified parents descended upon the school.
The male shooting victim, whose name will not be released because he is a juvenile, was “alert, conscious and breathing” at Grady Memorial Hospital late Thursday afternoon, according to police. Hospital officials said he was treated at Grady Memorial Hospital and released Thursday evening.
Another Price student was taken into custody, but had not been charged late Thursday. The student’s name and age were not released, but police said the shooting apparently resulted from a disagreement between the two boys. Police did not know the nature of the dispute or a motive for the shooting. A small caliber handgun was found at the scene.
A teacher who was near the shooting was injured “while running” to get away, Atlanta police spokesman Carlos Campos said. The teacher was not injured by gunfire.
Police have scheduled a 4 p.m. press conference Friday.
Kelvin Fitzgerald, who was dropping his daughter off at school Friday morning, said he was surprised by the lack of a police presence just one day after the shooting.
“I thought there would be somebody here; I don’t see nothing. I just saw one down the street.”
He called the shooting “sad, confusing … I still don’t have all the details.”
Parent Cornelia Stone praised the school for its handling of the shooting.
“I think the school handled it really well,” she said, “especially keeping our kids safe and keeping them on lockdown.”
She said not being able to contact her children during the lockdown was “torture, but it really did help in the long run.”
Friday morning, Fred Smith of Conyers stood outside the school beside a 10-foot cross. Smith said the message he was trying to convey was “that God’s still on the throne … that there’s still hope.”
Smith said the area where the shooting occurred was one where “there’s a lot of single moms, fatherless kids … I believe that men need to start rising up again and taking care of their families.”
The shooting occurred just before 2 p.m. outside of the school, Campos said.
Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis said it was not clear whether the shooter had to go through the school’s metal detector since the shooting took place outside the building.
The victim’s aunt, Keonia Clark, said her nephew was “doing OK.”
“His mother is being strong for him,” Clark said. “This is a terrible thing for something like this to happen.”
Clark described her nephew as a humble child who loves music and girls and plays on the football team.
“He’s just like any other 14-year old,” she said.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Atlanta School Shooting Update: Gang dispute was behind gunfire that wounded teen, police say

Post by raine1953 on Sun May 19, 2013 5:47 pm

(CBS) ATLANTA - The Atlanta Police Department's Gang Unit is investigating the shooting that took place at an Atlanta middle school Thursday, CBS Atlanta reports.
Atlanta Police Chief George Turner, Mayor Kasim Reed and school officials on Friday confirmed the shooting that wounded one student stemmed from an argument between two gangs, the station reports.

It is unknown if the shooting victim, Telvis Douglas, 14, was the intended target or whether he was involved in a gang, according to CBS Atlanta.

Douglas was shot in the back of the neck in a courtyard outside Price Middle School in southeast Atlanta by a 15-year-old male student just before 2p.m. Thursday, police say. An off-duty Atlanta police officer working as a school resource officer was able to get the suspect to drop the gun before he was arrested, the chief said.

Douglas was released from the hospital Thursday night, according to CBS Atlanta. The suspect, another student, was taken into custody at the scene.

In the press conference held Friday afternoon, school officials were questioned about how the suspect got the gun onto Price's campus, and whether or not they could confirm that the school's metal detectors were working on Thursday.

School officials aid they were investigating whether or not the detectors were operating properly, but would not comment any further.

Turner, the police chief, said Friday that the Fulton County district attorney would decide whether to charge the suspect as a juvenile or an adult. Police were not releasing his name for fear of retaliatory acts against him, CBS Atlanta reports.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum