'BATTLESTATIONS!': Call-in war waged over Boy Scouts' ban on gays. UPDATE: 5/23/13: Boy Scouts vote to end ban on gay youth members!!!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal 'BATTLESTATIONS!': Call-in war waged over Boy Scouts' ban on gays. UPDATE: 5/23/13: Boy Scouts vote to end ban on gay youth members!!!!!!!

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:57 am

I am placing this under "bullied" because IMHO, that is what the Boy Scouts of America are doing to gay kids and gay scout leaders. This is my opinion only.~wrap~

By Miranda Leitsinger, Staff Writer, NBC News

“BATTLESTATIONS!” “The phones are ringing off the wall.” “Good turn for the day. (takes less than one minute).”

These are the battle cries made by advocates on both sides of the debate over allowing gays into the Boy Scouts. They are urging their supporters to call or email the private youth organization as it weighs lifting its longstanding, controversial ban, with a vote expected next week.

The new policy, now under discussion, would revise the national organization’s rules to allow local sponsoring organizations to decide for themselves whether to admit gay scouts and leaders. If approved, the change could be announced as early as next week, after the Boy Scouts of America's national board holds a regularly scheduled meeting.

On the Facebook page for George Takei, known for his role as Mr. Sulu in Star Trek, he urged those wanting to end the ban to hit their “BATTLESTATIONS!” and to “Takei Stand.” He gave supporters a step-by-step guide, telling them to call, say they were for the change, and then to like and share the message. As of Thursday afternoon, more than 56,000 people had liked his status and 41,000 had shared it, while another 6,000 left comments.

“Let's FLOOD their lines with thousands of calls. (Believe me, the other side's busy, too...),” he wrote.
And indeed, they were. The Family Research Council, which supports maintaining the ban, noted in an appeal to its supporters on its website: “The phones are ringing off the wall.”

“If you've tried to get through to the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), you know it's been tough. If you've wanted to express your concern about the BSA abandoning their longstanding policy of safeguarding Scouts by restricting openly homosexual Scout leaders from holding leadership positions, you may have been greeted by an endlessly ringing phone. This may be one instance in which the Boy Scouts were not prepared,” for what the council said was the response of thousands of Americans opposed to the change.

It then listed the numbers for each of the BSA’s board members and provided a sample phone script for supporters to read. On the council’s Facebook page, a similar post had received nearly 3,900 likes and more than 2,800 shares plus 800 comments.

After years of heartache, gay Scouts and supporters react warily over proposal to lift ban

When a reporter called the BSA Wednesday night, a woman who answered the phone asked, “Are you for or against the proposed policy change?” When the reporter identified her news organization, the woman said the Scouts had been taking calls since about 3 p.m. Monday and it had been very busy.

“When we receive calls we are indeed allowing people to provide feedback, but it’s not a poll (and we won’t be releasing data about the feedback),” BSA spokesman Deron Smith said in an email, responding to an inquiry about the calls and when they began.

On the organization's Facebook page, people were asked to provide feedback by email or to a phone number provided. Some who posted there asked about getting a running tally.

But by Thursday afternoon, opponents of the ban reported that the BSA was no longer taking the phone feedback (Smith did not respond to an inquiry on whether the BSA had stopped). So the secondary tactic was deployed.

“so inundated! recorded msg states system can no longer take calls! revolution by email it is,” wrote one poster, identified as Seattle Punk Rock Aerobics.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My grandson is in the Cub Scouts. He loves it. But, what if he were gay? He would be denied entrance into this organization. Kids should NEVER be discriminated against. Period.

Last edited by Wrapitup on Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: 'BATTLESTATIONS!': Call-in war waged over Boy Scouts' ban on gays. UPDATE: 5/23/13: Boy Scouts vote to end ban on gay youth members!!!!!!!

Post by raine1953 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 pm

I agree 100% with your opinions expressed above Wrap.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: 'BATTLESTATIONS!': Call-in war waged over Boy Scouts' ban on gays. UPDATE: 5/23/13: Boy Scouts vote to end ban on gay youth members!!!!!!!

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks Raine.

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Rick Perry: Boy Scouts Should Keep Anti-Gay Policy

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:22 am

AP | By By WILL WEISSERT
Posted: 02/02/2013 4:11 pm EST

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas Gov. Rick Perry said emphatically Saturday that the Boy Scouts of America shouldn't soften its strict no-gays membership policy, and dismissed the idea of bending the organization to the whims of "popular culture."

Perry is an Eagle Scout and in 2008 he authored the book "On My Honor: Why the American Values of the Boy Scouts Are Worth Fighting For." It detailed the governor's deep love for the organization and explained why it should continue to embrace traditional, conservative values — including excluding openly gay members and Scout leaders.

America's longest-serving governor addressed the Texas Scouts' 64th annual Report to State, where hundreds of Scouts from around Texas filled the state House of Representatives to announce their delegation's recent accomplishments.

Perry has addressed the gathering several times before, most recently in 2010, but not since the announcement that the Scouts' national leadership is mulling scrapping the mandatory exclusion of gay members. Instead, the group could allow different religious and civic groups that sponsor Scout units to decide for themselves how to address the issue — either maintaining the exclusion or opening up their membership.

Even though the Boy Scouts reaffirmed the no-gays policy just seven months ago, the proposal is expected to be discussed, and possibly voted on, at the meeting of the Scouts' national executive board, which begins Monday in Irving, outside Dallas.

Perry told the youngsters that the Scouts was a key reason he joined the U.S. Air Force and later sought public office, and that society's failure to adhere to the organization's core values was a cause for high rates of teen pregnancy and wayward youth who grow up to be "men joining their fathers in prison."

Speaking to reporters afterward, Perry said: "Hopefully the board will follow their historic position of keeping the Scouts strongly supportive of the values that make Scouting this very important and impactful organization."

"I think most people see absolutely no reason to change the position and neither do I," Perry said. He said his views on the subject haven't changed since writing his book, in which he noted that profits would be donated to the Boy Scouts of America Legal Defense since "they continue to be under attack from the forces of secularism."

Asked if he would feel different about the Scouts if the policy is changed, Perry wouldn't say. But he added: "to have popular culture impact 100 years of their standards is inappropriate."

He also disagreed that allowing members of all sexual preferences would make the Scouts more tolerant: "I think you get tolerance and diversity every day in Scouting."

Fred Sainz of the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay rights group, said Saturday, "It's a shame that Governor Perry has chosen to be on the wrong side of history."

"Governor Perry and the Boy Scouts are both completely out of touch with where America is going on this issue," he said "There should be one national, non-discrimination policy. We can't quite wrap our heads around why that is so difficult to do in 2013."

Perry wrote in his book that he doesn't "believe the teaching of sexual preference fits within the parameters of Scouting's mission," but also made it very clear he'd like to keep gay members from joining.

"Because gay activism is central to their lives, it would unavoidably be a topic of conversation within a Scout troop. This would distract from the mission of Scouting: character building, not sex education," he wrote.

Perry also questioned whether sexual preference is determined at birth or is a matter of personal choice in his book, and wrote that he doesn't believe in "condemning homosexuals that I know personally."

Zach Wahls is an Eagle Scout raised in Iowa by two lesbian moms who has become a leading activist against the no-gays policy. Wahls said by phone Saturday he believes national Scout leaders will soften the membership policy next week, and he hopes the move won't make Perry turn his back on the Scouts.

"We've been called bullies and had people say 'you're imposing your will,'" he said. "Our organization isn't calling for the removal of anybody who disagrees with us. We support fully inclusive Scouting."

What a full-fledged Jerk!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:29 am

Good ole' Perry, he's determined to stay a bigot and a dictator. Imagine the message and feelings he's sending out to the masses that they are not good enough to join the good ole' Boy Scouts of America because of the way they were born but of course Perry doesn't believe that. He believes they 'choose' their sexual preferences. IMOO Perry posses a great amount of homophobia and is NOT taking into account the feelings of so many of his state. I do not like the message this man sends out. JMOO!
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Sometimes I wonder if he's in the closet. wink

Can you imagine him as our POTUS? I'd leave the country for sure. It's bad enough living in the State he governs!! kick

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Obama Says Boy Scouts Should Allow Gays as Members

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 am

Sunday, 03 Feb 2013 06:13 PM

President Barack Obama said Sunday that gays should be allowed in the Boy Scouts and women should be allowed in military combat roles, weighing in on two storied American institutions facing proposals to end long-held exclusions.

The president's comments in a pre-Super Bowl interview on CBS come ahead of this week's meeting of the Boy Scouts' national executive board. A proposal to open up the Scouts' membership to gays is expected to be discussed and possibly voted on at the gathering in Texas.

The Boy Scouts emphatically reaffirmed the no-gays policy just seven months ago, but announced last week they were considering changing the stance. Instead of mandatory exclusion of gays, the different religious and civic groups that sponsor Scout units would be able to decide for themselves how to address the issue — either maintaining the exclusion or opening up their membership.

The White House said in a statement last August that Obama opposed the gay ban. Obama, like presidents for the last century, serves as honorary president of the group. The president's comment Sunday was his first since the group announced it was considering a policy change.

"My attitude is that gays and lesbians should have access and opportunity the same way everybody else does in every institution and walk of life," Obama said. "The Scouts are a great institution that are promoting young people and exposing them to opportunities and leadership that will serve people for the rest of their lives. And I think nobody should be barred from that."

Obama also had previously issued a statement supporting the Pentagon's decision last month to open up front-line combat jobs to women, but the interview with CBS' Scott Pelley included his first publicly spoken comments on the matter since the announcement. He said women are already serving in combat "as a practical matter."

"When they're in theater in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, they are vulnerable," he said. "They are wounded, and they've been killed. And they have carried out their jobs with extraordinary patriotism and distinction."

The policy change overturns a 1994 rule prohibiting women from being assigned to smaller ground combat units, and is expected to open up more than 230,000 combat positions that have been off limits to women.

Obama said he meets "extraordinary women in uniform who can do everything that a man can and more." He gave the example of one of his military aides, who he estimated is only about 5 feet tall and 100 pounds.

"You put a 50-pound pack on her, and she can do things that you or me would keel over doing. And so the truth is that women are serving. They are taking great risks. What we should not do is somehow prevent them from advancing in an institution that we all revere."

On the economy, Obama said although more revenue has to be raised to reduce the deficit, it can be done without raising income tax rates again. He said the answer is "smart spending cuts," reducing waste in the health care system and closing loopholes and deductions like offshore tax havens that benefit a few high income earners but not most Americans.

"There's no doubt we need additional revenue coupled with smart spending reductions in order to bring down our deficit," he said. "We can do it in a gradual way so it doesn't have a huge impact."

Coming before the Super Bowl, Obama had to expect he'd be asked about his recent comment that if he had a son, he would have to think long and hard about letting him play football because of safety concerns. Obama said he feel differently about the NFL, where the players are well-compensated adults who know the risks, but the threat of concussions has to give parents pause about letting youth and children play.

"I want to make sure we are doing everything we can to make the sport safer, and that means the game's probably going to evolve a little bit," Obama said. "For those of us who like to see a big hit and enjoy the rock 'em, sock 'em elements of the game, we're probably going to be occasionally frustrated.

"But I do think we want to make sure that after people have played the game, that they're going to be OK," he said.

The Obamas were hosting their own Super Bowl party for friends and family at the White House. In honor of the two teams, the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers, they were serving Chesapeake crabcakes and San Francisco cioppino stew with sourdough toast. Also on the menu are Clipper City and Anchor Steam beers from the competing cities.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Boy Scouts: We need more time for decision on gay membership

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:48 am

By Miranda Leitsinger, Staff Writer, NBC News

Published at 10:48 a.m. ET: The Boy Scouts of America said Wednesday it needed "more time for a deliberate review" of its policy banning gay Scouts and leaders, delaying a final decision on the controversial membership guidelines that have dogged the private youth organization in recent years.

"In the past two weeks, Scouting has received an outpouring of feedback from the American public. It reinforces how deeply people care about Scouting and how passionate they are about the organization," the organization said in a statement. "After careful consideration and extensive dialogue within the Scouting family, along with comments from those outside the organization, the volunteer officers of the Boy Scouts of America’s National Executive Board concluded that due to the complexity of this issue, the organization needs time for a more deliberate review of its membership policy." More time? Ridiculous!!

The executive board has directed its committees to further engage representatives of Scouting’s membership and take in their perspectives and concerns as officers work toward a resolution on membership standards. The roughly 1,400 voting members of the national council will take action on the resolution at the national meeting in May 2013, the organization said.

The BSA said last week it was considering changing the policy, leaving local sponsoring organizations free to decide for themselves whether to admit gay scouts.

The announcement came just seven months after the BSA said it was sticking with its ban following a confidential two-year review and spurred advocates on both sides of the issue to step up their campaigns: They’d encouraged their backers to make their voices heard through a phone-in and email deluge. A conservative group, the Family Research Council, said that it and 41 other groups ran a newspaper ad on Monday asking the BSA not to change the policy, and some conservative religious groups have urged their supporters to join in prayer to ask the board not to accept gays.

President Barack Obama has twice weighed in on the issue, earlier this week affirming his support for including gays in the Boy Scouts of America, while former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum has called for an end to what he labelled the “war on Scouts.”
“The Boy Scouts are a fundamental part of this nation’s moral bedrock and they are one of our great cultural institutions. We have trusted them to grow and develop our young men for over a century,” Zach Wahls, an Eagle Scout and son of a lesbian couple campaigning for gays to be included, said Tuesday. “They’re a big deal, and that is why this proposed change is so critically important.”

A coalition of Boy Scouts councils representing some 540,000 youth -- or 20 percent of the organization’s 2.6 million active Scouts -- asked the national organization on Monday to delay a decision on ending the controversial policy, saying it was concerned “about the pace at which such actions are being taken,” according to a statement posted on the website of the Utah-based Great Salt Lake Council.

My son and DIL are not happy at all w/them. My eldest grandson is in cubscouts..my son and grandson have been working on a little soapbox derby car so he can earn a badge. The ceremony was to happen Sat. Many hours of work were put into making that little car. My son tells me that at 8am Sat morning, he receives a text msg that the ceremony has been postponed but no date set. This is the 3rd time. The ceremony was to begin at 11am.

Also, they are not happy about this topic. They sat my grandson down on Sunday while I was there and told him that the Boy/Cub Scouts do NOT accept gay children or gay scoutleaders. My grandson asked what "gay" meant. My son explained it very simply: "Some people like Mommy & Daddy love each other and get married, but there are some girls that love other girls and some boys that love other boys and there is nothing wrong w/that." My grandson said that he likes girls but if one of his girl/boy friends liked another girl or boy better, that they should not be judged and he is mad and does not want to continue w/the cub scouts. He'll finish out this year and that's it. Have to say, when he was told, my 3.6 year old was also listening and he said, "Yuk". LOL. But, I am Glad it was explained to them. There should be no shame. The shame is on this organization. These are my views only. Bottom line, NO child should EVER feel or be discriminated. It's just WRONG!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:05 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Bravo

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Gays In The Boy Scouts: Texas Elected Officials Are Signing On To Say Hell No

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:25 am

By Kimberly Reeves Mon., Mar. 4 2013 at 7:00 AM

The Boy Scouts are figuring out where they stand.

A conservative group called "Texas Values" is taking a new approach in the battle to make sure that no Lone Star boy scout ever, ever gets cooties from being near a gay person -- the group is circulating a letter urging the Boy Scouts of America to reject gay scouts, it's getting elected officials to sign it, and it's proudly trumpeting the results.

Right now, it's up to 60 elected officials, and the number is expected to grow.

President Barack Obama, who probably has more pressing problems to deal with at the moment, urged the Irving-based scouting group to accept openly gay members in a pre-Super Bowl interview on 60 Minutes. That followed the announcement that the Boy Scouts might allow the civic and religious groups that sponsor Boy Scout units to make their own decisions on the inclusion of openly gay members.

Texas Values, which advertises itself as standing for faith, freedom and family in Texas, has taken to social media to announce, one by one, the state elected officials who have signed onto an open letter that asks BSA to stand firm against a liberal agenda. To date, 60 elected Republicans have signed the letter.

"Scouts begin each meeting with an Oath, 'to do my duty, to God and my country, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight,'" according to the letter. "By caving in to pressure from the social left, the national leadership would violate each of those principles."

Last year, when the Scouts again affirmed their no gays-no atheists policy, openly gay Eagle Scouts have renounced their membership in the group. Over at Change.org, a petition to reinstate a Scout mom and den leader who was removed for being a lesbian has drawn 341,000 signatures.

Texas officials who signed onto the letter include many of the right-leaning members of the two legislative chambers. Sens. Dan Patrick of Houston, Glenn Hegar of Katy, Tommy Williams of The Woodlands and freshman Larry Taylor of Friendswood are all supporters of the letter. Houston-area Representatives on the letter include Cecil bell of Magnolia, Dwayne Bohac, Dan Huberty and Gary Elkins of Houston, Greg Bonnen of Friendswood, Rick Miller of Sugar Land, Dennis Bonnen of Angleton and Allen Fletcher of Cypress.

Jonathan Saenz of Texas Values contends the Boy Scouts would be signing away their right to decide who should and should not be in the group, a position affirmed by the Supreme Court in 2000. Texas Values speculates that sponsors, left to defend themselves, would be likely to abandon scouting rather than deal with messy public protracted battles over Scout applicants, not to mention openly gay Scout leaders.

Governor Rick Perry's name is noticeably absent from the letter, but Saenz said the governor has made his support of the current policy clear. In comments to the media, Perry, an Eagle Scout, has said the teaching of sexual preferences does not fit within the long-time mission of the Boy Scouts.

The National Executive Board is expected to vote on the policy again in May, when the board gathers for its annual meeting in Grapevine.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] BS

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:04 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Scouts Survey Members on Whether to Keep Gay Ban

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 am

By NIGEL DUARA Associated Press
PORTLAND, Ore. March 13, 2013 (AP)

Faced with a backlash against their ban on gays, the Boy Scouts of America are surveying their members on a potential change in policy.

A questionnaire distributed to 1.1 million adult Scouts uses fictional situations to discern where Scouting's membership falls on questions of homosexuality, gays camping with children and gays in church leadership. It allows adult Scouts to indicate a range of feelings, from strong support to strong opposition to the ban on gays.

Some questions are direct queries of the respondent's feelings on homosexuality and children.

"Bob is 15 years old, and the only openly gay Scout in a Boy Scout troop," the survey begins its third question. "Is it acceptable or unacceptable for the troop leader to allow Bob to tent with a heterosexual boy on an overnight camping trip?"

But the majority of the 13-question survey is more nuanced, including two open-ended questions about the impact of either banning or allowing gay members. Many of the questions indicate scenarios that would likely arise should the ban on gays be lifted.

For instance, should the lesbian mother of a Tiger Cub be allowed to serve as den leader if the pack is chartered to a church that teaches that homosexuality is not wrong? Should a gay youth minister be allowed to serve as a Scoutmaster? Should a boy with the qualifications for Eagle Scout be denied the award if he reveals he's gay at his board review?

After the theoretical situations are posed, the survey then again asks respondents about their feelings on gays in Scouting. The Scouts provided the survey by email Tuesday morning to The Associated Press.

Long the province of a strict anti-gay policy that went so far as to put members found to be gay in the organization's secret "perversion" files, Scouting has now generally evolved into a sort of "don't-ask, don't-tell" policy concerning its membership — even if the "don't-tell" aspect means the national leadership has had to ignore news accounts of its troops publicly declaring their refusal to abide by the ban on gays.

That's already happening in some branches of the organization, including troops in Minnesota, California and Massachusetts, but few troops are eager to publicize their positions, which could end with the troop losing its charter for breaking with the central Scouts office.

The survey introduces the possibility of acknowledging those differences.

"Different organizations that charter Boy Scout troops have different positions on the morality of homosexuality," the survey said. "Do you support or oppose allowing charter organizations to follow their own beliefs when selecting Boy Scout members and adult leaders, if that means there will be different standards from one organization to the next?"

The survey questions are part of a semi-annual survey called The Voice of The Scout. It was distributed via email to registered volunteers and parents of Scouts of whom the organization had email addresses. Scouts alumni will receive the surveys in "the next couple of days," said Scouts spokesman Deron Smith. Current Boy Scouts weren't sent these questions.

The questions were developed by North Star Opinion Research, a Virginia research firm that says it serves political, corporate and nonprofit clients.

"We are currently in the 'Listening Phase,' where the BSA's committees engage key stakeholders for input and develop a summary report," Smith said in an email. "Part of this process is to survey a variety of key stakeholders."

Smith said the organization convened a committee in 2010 made up of professional and volunteer Scouts to review the gay ban. After two years of research, Smith said the committee decided to maintain the policy.

In May, that could change. A proposed resolution that will address whether to modify or rescind the policy will be developed for the Scouts' National Council to vote on.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:57 pm

The above makes me so angry! They are creating hatred by the questions they are asking! They are acting like being gay is contagious and asking these people if they want to 'be near a gay', OMG!!!!! I am so glad that I do not have a kid or grandkid in the scouts and I hope that my son and DIL do NOT put my g'son in the Scouts! angry It\\'s Not Fair
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:28 pm

They would never ask, "if a hetrosexual man stays in the tent w/young boys would you be fearful?" (paraphrasing here)

We all know hetro men can be pervs. GMAB!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:43 pm

It is USUALLY a hetro man (or woman) who is molesting a child!
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:48 pm

EXACTLY!!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:09 pm

|
|

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Boy Scouts vote to end ban on gay youth members

Post by Wrapitup on Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 pm

By Jason Sickles, Yahoo! | The Lookout – 4 hrs ago

[Updated at 6:55 p.m. CT]
DALLAS – The Boy Scouts of America, one of the country’s largest and oldest youth organizations, decided on Thursday to break 103 years of tradition by allowing openly gay members into its ranks.

The controversial move was approved by more than 60 percent of the approximate 1,400 votes cast by the BSA’s national council. According to the new resolution, beginning Jan. 1, 2014, “no youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone.”
“The resolution also reinforces that Scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether heterosexual or homosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting,” the BSA stated in a press release.

Lifting the organization’s ban on gay adult volunteer leaders and paid staff was not considered and remains in place.

Pascal Tessier, a gay Scout from Maryland, told Yahoo News that he was ecstatic with the outcome. “Proud, happy and on top of the world,” he said.

Tessier, 16, had feared that a no vote would mean he would not earn his Eagle award next year. “The delegates proved me wrong,” Tessier said.

Texas Governor Rick Perry told the Texas Tribune, “While I will always cherish my time as a Scout ... I am greatly disappointed with this decision.” kick

The emotionally charged issue has seen those for and against it wage costly public relations campaigns, and has fostered intense debate from coast to coast.

In a statement, John Stemberger, an Eagle Scout and leader of a coalition of people who opposed the change, accused the BSA of caving to polls, politics and public opinion.

“It is with great sadness and deep disappointment that we recognize on this day that the most influential youth program in America has turned a tragic corner,” Stemberger stated in a press release. “The vote today to allow open and avowed homosexuality into Scouting will completely transform it into an unprincipled and risky proposition for parents. It is truly a sad day for Scouting.”
eyerolling
Stemberger, founder of On My Honor, stated his group and other like-minded organizations will meet in Louisville, Ky., next month to discuss creating a new character-development organization for boys. What does THAT mean???

The historic change comes 13 years after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that BSA is a private club that is allowed to set its own rules for membership. Since then, public pressure has mounted for the Texas-based organization to change the exclusion, especially last year, when a gay California teen was denied his Eagle Scout award and an Ohio lesbian was removed as a den mother from her son’s troop.

Still, just 10 months ago, the Scouts reaffirmed their stance, saying a two-year confidential review revealed a majority of the organization’s parents wanted to keep the policy. The about-face to put it to a vote came “out of respect for the diverse beliefs of Scouting's chartered organizations,” according to the BSA website.

After the vote, the Scouts stated there would be no plans to revisit the issue.

“While people have different opinions about this policy, we can all agree that kids are better off when they are in Scouting,” they stated in a press release. “ … America’s youth need Scouting, and by focusing on the goals that unite us, we can continue to accomplish incredible things for young people and the communities we serve.”

News of the change brought tears of joy to Melanie Gerken, the mother of an Eagle Scout and a longtime volunteer with Cleveland-area troops. “It’s about time,” said Gerken, choking back tears. She said she hopes the organization takes it a step further by allowing gay volunteers to work with Scouts.

“Being homosexual doesn’t make you a pedophile,” Gerken told Yahoo News. “I don’t care what goes on in your bedroom behind closed doors. What can you do for other people and youth?”
Bravo

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum