FBI Assists LAPD in Search for 10-Year-Old Nicole Ryan of Northridge who disappeared from her bedroom overnight/Nicole has been found!/3.31.03 An arrest has been made! 2nd suspect still on the run

Go down

Normal FBI Assists LAPD in Search for 10-Year-Old Nicole Ryan of Northridge who disappeared from her bedroom overnight/Nicole has been found!/3.31.03 An arrest has been made! 2nd suspect still on the run

Post by raine1953 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 pm

A search involving the FBI and Los Angeles Police Department is under way Wednesday for a 10-year-old Northridge girl who disappeared from her home overnight.

An FBI spokeswoman confirmed that the agency is assisting the LAPD in the search for the girl, reported missing early Wednesday morning from the family's home is in the 8000 block of Oakdale Avenue. Nicole Ryan is described as 4 feet, 11 inches tall, 100 pounds with long red hair and blue eyes, according to police.

The mother saw Nicole in her bedroom at about 1 a.m. Wednesday, according to police. When the mother checked in the bedroom again about three hours later, the girl was missing, police said.

The mother told police her daughter does not have a history of running away from home.

Aerial video showed Los Angeles Police Department officers at a command post established between yellow police tape on the street.

"There's no indication of any foul play," said LAPD Capt. Daryl Russell. "We're treating it as a critical missing.

"By all accounts, she's a very bright 10-year-old and has never done anything like run away."

There were no signs of forced entry. A side gate was open and back door was left unlocked, according to investigators.

A community alert distributed by the LAPD noted that Nicole cannot reach the lock on the gate without assistance.

LAPD detectives issued a news release Wednesday morning to ask for help locating the girl, and a flier was posted in the Northridge area, as seen below. Anyone with information can call 818-832-0633 or 911.

Last edited by raine1953 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Nicole Ryan: Parents of missing 10-year-old fear she has been kidnapped (Video)

Post by raine1953 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:42 pm

Early Wednesday morning, authorities began searching for a missing 10-year-old girl from California.

Nicole Ryan was reported missing from her home in the 8800 block of Oakdale Street around 3:50 a.m. in the San Fernando Valley on March 27.

Nicole's mother said she saw her in her room around 1 a.m. on Wednesday. Then around 3:30 a.m., when she got up to go to the bathroom she saw her daughter's bedroom door was open and went in to check on her and found her gone, reports the LA Times. After she searched the home she called the police.

"We consider it a critical missing," said Capt. Daryl Russell of the LA Police Dept.

The police are reporting no foul play but they also stated there is nothing that happened in the days prior to her disappearance to have caused the girl to run away. The parents though, believe it is a kidnapping, reports MyFoxLA news.

"At the same time, there's no indication there's any foul play whatsoever at this point," said Russell. "We're conducting a thorough investigation. We're trying to locate Nicole and we're asking for the public's help."

Multiple law enforcement personnel and K-9 dogs have been brought it to search for the 10-year-old girl.

Nicole Ryan is about 4-foot-11, weighs about 100 pounds and has red hair, Russel said. She was wearing a black "Heroes" t-shirt.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Video at link
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: FBI Assists LAPD in Search for 10-Year-Old Nicole Ryan of Northridge who disappeared from her bedroom overnight/Nicole has been found!/3.31.03 An arrest has been made! 2nd suspect still on the run

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:23 pm

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Missing Northridge girl Nicole Ryan found at Woodland Hills strip mall

Post by raine1953 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:12 pm

NORTHRIDGE -- A 10-year-old girl who was reported missing from her family's Northridge home was found in Woodland Hills.
Nicole Ryan was found near a strip mall at the corner of Canoga Avenue and Oxnard Street, about six miles from her home, according to media reports.

Police searched Wednesday for the girl who disappeared from her home earlier in the night.

The mother said she last saw the girl in bed about 1 a.m. Wednesday in their home in the 8000 block of Oakdale Avenue, Los Angele police officers said.

The mother went to check on the girl about 3:40 a.m. but she was not there. Her mother called police.Earlier in the day, there were no indication of foul play and there have been no recent incidents to prompt the girl to run away, police Capt. Daryl Russell told a media outlet.

The girl's mother told detectives that she did not have a history of running away.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: FBI Assists LAPD in Search for 10-Year-Old Nicole Ryan of Northridge who disappeared from her bedroom overnight/Nicole has been found!/3.31.03 An arrest has been made! 2nd suspect still on the run

Post by raine1953 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 pm

I am so glad she was found! I have to wonder thou', she was found a few miles from her home, I think there's much more to this story that we'll find out in the coming days.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:39 pm

:cheering:

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Missing Girl Found: LAPD Seeks 2 Suspects In Abduction Of 10-Year-Old Girl

Post by raine1953 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 am

LOS ANGELES -- Authorities were seeking two men believed to be involved in the abduction of a 10-year-old girl who disappeared from her bed and was missing for nearly 12 hours before she was dropped off at a hospital six miles away, police said Wednesday night.

After interviewing the girl at a hospital where she was being treated for cuts and bruises, police began looking for one man about 18 years old and another for whom they had no immediate description, LAPD Capt. William Hayes said at a media briefing.

The girl told investigators the men held her for hours at an abandoned house near her home, Hayes said.

The girl said she didn't know the men, and investigators don't know why she was taken from her bedroom early Wednesday. There were no signs of forced entry into her house.

"I've got a girl who was abducted," Hayes said. "I don't know why."

Police believe two vehicles were involved in the abduction and officers have recovered one of them, Hayes said. Investigators have cordoned off several crime scenes in the investigation and manhunt.

"If these individuals are brazen enough to do that," Hayes said of the abduction, "I'm putting all the resources I have to make sure they don't do it again."

The girl's parents reported her missing just before 4 a.m., and more than 11 hours later, someone who recognized her from media reports spotted her outside a Starbucks shop and summoned police officers who happened to be nearby, police Capt. Kris Pitcher said at an earlier news conference.

Police later learned the girl had been dropped at a hospital a few blocks away and had wandered to the strip mall, Hayes said.

The girl had cuts and bruises on her face and was immediately taken to a hospital for treatment.

"She basically is in shock right now," Pitcher said. "She's walking, she's talking, she's conversing with the officers and with the FBI agents, and with the doctors and the nurses at the hospital."

The girl was wearing an oversized white T-shirt and was barefoot when she was found.

Her parents reported that she had been wearing a black T-shirt emblazoned with characters from the TV show "Heroes" when they last saw her in her bedroom shortly after midnight, police spokesman Richard French said. When they checked on her a few hours later, she was gone.

Officers went door to door in a two-mile radius and interviewed the girl's classmates and friends. The FBI's child abduction unit was also involved in the search, Pitcher said.

Police released the girl's name, description and a photo in an urgent campaign seeking the public's help in spotting the child with distinctive long red hair. After she was found, police asked media to stop using the name and photo, but did not immediately provide a reason.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:03 am

Lord have mercy. Thank goodness she is safe. I think they w/find these 2 and bring them in.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:04 pm

I hope so. There wasn't much of a description from the girl. LE has been all over this all night long. There will be a press conference in a few minutes. On the news this morning they said they think they (LE) found a truck connected w/ this. Also the Mother heard some type of commotion at 3 am, doors closing and that's why she got up and checked on her daughter and she was gone. No link but I will post one later after the presser.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Nicole Ryan Kidnapping Is Shocking and Strange

Post by raine1953 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Ten-year-old Northridge child, Nicole Ryan, (LE has asked ALL media to NOT use this girl's name or picture anymore, even thou' it was out there when she was missing!) was missing briefly on Wednesday morning, triggering a frantic search that spanned throughout much of the day. Fortunately, the little girl was found alive, but "safe" is a relative term in this story. Nicole was reportedly "in shock" and had facial bruising with lacerations. Officials are now seeking as many as two suspects in her presumed abduction.

What happened to this child throughout the day as she was missing? Reports vary in detail with claims that police have located as many as three potential crime scenes related to her disappearance -- and someone is reported to have seen a male drop her off approximately six miles from her home (today during the presser LE would not say anything about the above).

She was located near a strip mall in Woodland Hills about 11 hours after she was reported missing, meaning she had endured half a day of no-telling-what. Officials haven't released many more details about her medical assessment.

Her mother reported her missing a little after 3:40 a.m., after last seeing the child at around 1:00 a.m., which is a strange time frame for a 10-year-old girl (I see nothing strange at all for a parent to check in on their child at any hour of the night!). The mother claimed that she went to check on her in her room around 3:40 a.m., after seeing her just about two hours prior, and she was gone. She said that her four-year-old came to her and said that a door slammed. That's a frightening detail (during the presser today LE did confirm that the Mom woke up to 'commotion' and heard doors shutting).

A neighbor says that the family stays up late often, at all hours of the night sometimes. This isn't to be judgmental, but why would a family keep hours at all hours of the night? (I am a night owl, so was my ex husband and we always stayed up late even if we had to work the next day. Yes this person is being judgemental!).What kind of lifestyle did they lead? Were people in and out of the home often? Were drugs ever present? Frequent parties? It's important to investigate any possible scenario because a girl was presumably taken right out of her home under the noses of her family. And that is startling.
Sorry for my negative comments but this author sometimes goes out into left field w/ her 'observations' which do nothing but start rumors! JMOO!
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Northridge kidnapping: 2 suspects sought; truck found

Post by raine1953 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:52 pm

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles police are working with the FBI to track down two men in connection to the apparent kidnapping of a 10-year-old Northridge girl, who was later found in Woodland Hills.

Nearly 12 hours after the young girl was reported missing, she was spotted at a Starbucks on Canoga Avenue and Oxnard Street at 2:45 p.m. Wednesday. She told police two men had kidnapped her from her home in the 8000 block of Oakdale Avenue and then dropped her off at a Kaiser hospital near the location where she was found.

"We're talking about a 10-year-old girl, and so she's been through a traumatic experience," said LAPD Capt. Andrew Smith. "She's discussed that there were several vehicles and several individuals involved."

LAPD's robbery homicide division has taken over the case and is working with the FBI to track down the two men. The girl could only describe one of her suspects, saying he was a white male about 18 years old. The second suspect is a male, but she could not describe him any further.

Police say the girl was taken to two locations -- an abandoned house and a storage facility -- before being dropped off near the hospital. Smith said it remains unclear whether the victim was chosen at random, or whether she was a specific target.

"Right now, we're looking at this as a stranger abduction," Smith said.

Police were careful about the details released in the apparent abduction.

"Detectives don't want to talk about it specifically, how the individual entered the house. They don't to discuss the intimate details of which room she was in," Smith said.

Police say they are following all possible leads, including searching through video from surveillance cameras near the 10-year-old's house in hopes of finding out more about the brazen kidnappers.

"It's very rare that someone will come into a home and abduct a child. More often than not, when you have a case like this, and a child gets abducted, they end up getting killed. We're very fortunate that she's still alive in this incident," Smith said.

Police are looking into whether there's a connection with a break-in that happened at a house about a block away, which occurred at about the same time the girl went missing.

A black pickup truck believed to be part of the case was recovered at the storage facility Wednesday night. They also said they believed a second vehicle was involved.

Residents in the neighborhood where the abduction happened remain in a state of shock and fear. Amanda Velasquez, who lives behind the victim's house, said she kept checking on her children during the night and checking the locks at the house.

"My 8-year-old's scared. She was in my room last night, sleeping on an air mattress because she didn't want to sleep in her bed. She didn't want to be alone," Velasquez said.

The investigation is ongoing. Authorities urge anyone with information is urged to call the LAPD Robbery Homicide Tipline at (213) 486-6890.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal 10-Year-Old Found Alive, Wandering in Parking Lot After Abduction

Post by raine1953 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:42 am

"I'm very happy that she's finally found and she didn't go through a lot, you know. I'm glad she's found. That's all I can say," Ryan's aunt Christine Stackhouse added. "I'm ecstatic, I'm really thrilled. I'm happy. I just say, praise God."

continue reading at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Northridge kidnapping: 2 suspects sought; truck found

Post by raine1953 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:24 am

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles police are working with the FBI to track down two men in connection to the apparent kidnapping of a 10-year-old Northridge girl, who was later found in Woodland Hills.

Nearly 12 hours after the young girl was reported missing, she was spotted at a Starbucks on Canoga Avenue and Oxnard Street at 2:45 p.m. Wednesday. She told police two men had kidnapped her from her home in the 8000 block of Oakdale Avenue and then dropped her off at a Kaiser hospital near the location where she was found.

"We're talking about a 10-year-old girl, and so she's been through a traumatic experience," said LAPD Capt. Andrew Smith. "She's discussed that there were several vehicles and several individuals involved."

LAPD's robbery homicide division has taken over the case and is working with the FBI to track down the two men. The girl could only describe one of her suspects, saying he was a white male about 18 years old. The second suspect is a male, but she could not describe him any further. Family members told Eyewitness News that investigators took lots of fingerprints at the Northridge home, which may link them to the two men.

The intruder was able to enter a backdoor and find his way to where the girl slept. Family members told Eyewitness News that the girl's bedroom sits between her brother and parents bedrooms and that her door is always closed.

Police say the girl was taken to two locations -- an abandoned house and a storage facility -- before being dropped off near the hospital. Smith said it remains unclear whether the victim was chosen at random, or whether she was a specific target.

"Right now, we're looking at this as a stranger abduction," Smith said.

Police were careful about the details released in the apparent abduction.

"Detectives don't want to talk about it specifically, how the individual entered the house. They don't to discuss the intimate details of which room she was in," Smith said.

Police say they are following all possible leads, including searching through video from surveillance cameras near the 10-year-old's house in hopes of finding out more about the brazen kidnappers.

"It's very rare that someone will come into a home and abduct a child. More often than not, when you have a case like this, and a child gets abducted, they end up getting killed. We're very fortunate that she's still alive in this incident," Smith said.

The LAPD is also looking at a separate kidnapping case in 2008 involving the girl's cousins, who were young boys at the time. But there was no mystery about who had taken the boys; their fathers, John and George Silah, served time in prison for the abductions and flying them to the Netherlands to hide.

Police are looking into whether there's a connection with a break-in that happened at a house about a block away, which occurred at about the same time the girl went missing.

A black pickup truck believed to be part of the case was recovered at the storage facility Wednesday night. They also said they believed a second vehicle was involved.

Residents in the neighborhood where the abduction happened remain in a state of shock and fear. Amanda Velasquez, who lives behind the victim's house, said she kept checking on her children during the night and checking the locks at the house.

"My 8-year-old's scared. She was in my room last night, sleeping on an air mattress because she didn't want to sleep in her bed. She didn't want to be alone," Velasquez said.

The investigation is ongoing. Authorities urge anyone with information is urged to call the LAPD Robbery Homicide Tipline at (213) 486-6890.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 am

From above: The LAPD is also looking at a separate kidnapping case in 2008 involving the girl's cousins, who were young boys at the time. But there was no mystery about who had taken the boys; their fathers, John and George Silah, served time in prison for the abductions and flying them to the Netherlands to hide.
The girl's aunt, Christine Stackhouse who is interviewed in the video above was one of the Mother's of the boys kidnapped by their Fathers who took them to the Netherlands. I believe it was two years before LE caught up w/ the boys who were returned to their Mom's.
We actually had a thread on that here:

raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:05 am

WOW!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Northridge kidnapping suspect is parolee

Post by raine1953 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:16 pm

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The suspect behind a brazen kidnapping of a 10-year-old girl in Northridge has been identified by Los Angeles police.

Detectives are searching for 30-year-old Tobias Dustin Summers. He is a parolee with a lengthy criminal history dating back to 2002.

Summers has been described as a white male about 6 feet tall and weighing around 160 pounds. He has closely-cropped blond hair, and has large tattoos of a flaming skeleton face, and a woman, on his right arm.

The suspect is wanted in the apparent abduction of a Northridge girl from her home in the middle of the night Wednesday.
The girl was reported missing from her home, in the 8000 block of Oakdale Avenue, at about 3:30 a.m. after the girl's mother noticed her bed empty. Authorities say the girl's mother had last saw her when she went to bed at about 1 a.m.

The young victim was found after she was dropped off at Kaiser Hospital at De Soto Avenue and Burbank Boulevard. She walked from there to a Starbucks at Canoga Avenue and Oxnard Street, where she was recognized by a citizen about 2:45 p.m. The citizen flagged down a passing LAPD sergeant.

Investigators interviewed the girl who had some facial bruising and lacerations when she was found, but apppeared OK otherwise physically. The girl told authorities she was held in an abandoned home near her house and later a storage facility, both which were searched by police.

The suspect has no relationship to the family, according to police.

The investigation is ongoing. Authorities urge anyone with information on the suspect or the case to call Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Kidnapped Northridge girl was sexually assaulted, police say

Post by raine1953 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:21 pm

March 29, 2013
A 10-year-old girl kidnapped from her Northridge home in the middle of the night was sexually assaulted, and detectives are still struggling to determine why she was targeted, according to law enforcement sources.

The girl has told investigators that two men were involved and that she was taken to multiple locations in different vehicles. She was found bruised and scratched Wednesday near a Starbucks about six miles from her home.

"This 10-year-old child was traumatized after a very traumatic experience," Los Angeles Police Cmdr. Andy Smith said Thursday.

He declined to provide details about her ordeal, saying police wanted to protect her privacy. Detectives said at this point there was no indication she knew her attackers.

"Right now, we are looking at this as a stranger abduction — one of those things that is very rare in this country, but it does happen," Smith said.

The girl was identified by The Times, citing authorities, after she went missing. However, it is the policy of The Times not to identify victims in cases of alleged sexual crimes.

When asked whether the community should be concerned, Smith said that there were no indications the case was part of a series of kidnappings and that no similar incidents had been reported.

"However," he said, "as a parent, I think every parent knows that until these two individuals are captured and taken into custody, we should use all the caution we can with our children.... We don't know what they are capable of."

Detectives were chasing a variety of possible leads, including looking at registered sex offenders in the area and examining the girl's Internet activity.

Law enforcement sources said detectives also were trying to determine whether there was any connection between this case and a high-profile international child abduction in 2008.

Public records and court documents indicated one of the children kidnapped in the 2008 case was a relative of the Northridge girl.

In that case, two brothers took their sons out of the country without their ex-wives' permission.

Court documents indicated that federal authorities pursued leads in Guatemala, Turkey, Canada and Mexico before tracking the brothers and the children to the Netherlands, where they were found in November 2010.

The brothers pleaded guilty to charges of international parent kidnapping and were each sentenced last year to 27 months in prison. They were released Oct. 23, having served most of their sentences in the Netherlands and in federal custody before the plea.

The source said the brothers continued to be under court supervision after their release, and an attorney for one of the brothers said he had not been contacted by authorities.

The sources emphasized that it is one of many lines of inquiry and that they have no evidence the brothers were in any way involved in this week's kidnapping.

The girl's mother told authorities she last saw her daughter in her room about 1 a.m. Wednesday. About 3:40 a.m., police said, the mother heard a noise. When she went to check on her daughter, the girl was gone.

Authorities combed the area house by house, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation joined the search effort. Shortly before 3 p.m., a man spotted the girl in a parking lot about six miles away and pointed her in the direction of nearby police.

LAPD officials said they believe the girl was dropped off at a nearby Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Woodland Hills. She then walked toward the Starbucks.

She had cuts and bruises, some to her face, and was "in shock," Capt. Kris Pitcher said. In news helicopter footage, she appeared to be barefoot and wearing clothing different from what she had on when she was last seen.

It remains unclear who dropped her off and how she may have left or been lured from her Northridge home. Detailed descriptions of the perpetrators were not available, though authorities said the girl guessed one was about 18 years old.

More than 20 detectives and the FBI continue to pursue the Northridge case, and broadened their investigation to an empty house near the girl's home and a storage facility less than a mile away. The house was later ruled out, LAPD Capt. William Hayes said, but police found a pickup truck at the storage facility they believe was involved.
Video at link
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Holy crap!!!! This is HORRIFIC! cryingagain

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Police seek help finding men who abducted girl from her L.A. bedroom

Post by raine1953 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 am

Days after a 10-year-old girl was snatched from her bedroom in the middle of the night -- but found alive nearly 12 hours later and a few miles away -- Los Angeles police pleaded Saturday for the public's help tracking down those responsible.
Though they have said they believe two men were involved in the kidnapping, by Saturday police had only identified one by name as a "wanted suspect": 30-year-old Tobias Dustin Summers.
In a press conference a few hours before Summers' image and information came out, Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Andrew Smith said that police believe this was a "stranger abduction." At the same time, he said, investigators are not ruling anything out -- such as whether the abductors had something to do with her family or that acquaintances of hers might have been involved.
"Until we can find these individuals that perpetrated this, we won't know if this was a random case, or whether it was targeted against this family or this child for any particular reason," Smith said. "So, right now, we don't know."
Around 1 a.m. Wednesday, the girl's mother last saw her safe in bed in their home in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Northridge. The mother heard noises at about 3:30 a.m. and checked on her daughter again, discovering that she was missing.
That set off an intensive search for the girl that ended about 2:50 p.m. Wednesday, when she was found about five miles southwest of her home.
"A Good Samaritan ... directed the girl to some police officers nearby, and she was ... transported to a local hospital, where she received treatment," Cmdr. Andrew Smith, a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman, told reporters Saturday afternoon.
By Saturday, the 10-year-old was back home with her parents, with police on site to provide security and protect the family's privacy. Some 20 members of the police department's robbery and homicide division are working the case, Smith said.
In a first preliminary interview with investigators, the girl said she had been put in several vehicles during her 12-hour ordeal, driving to places around the San Fernando Valley.
Police were able to locate at least one of those locations -- a storage facility about two miles from the girl's home -- Smith said. The LAPD spokesman did not detail what happened to the girl in that time, urging media to do the same so as not to "further traumatize... that poor girl."
Smith said that authorities don't have any reason to believe there's any rash of child abductions in the area. Still, with the two suspects on the loose, he urged parents to take precautions, such as locking their doors and being extra vigilant.
"Until these two individuals are caught, we don't know what they're capable of," Smith said.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Arrest made in Northridge kidnapping

Post by raine1953 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:36 pm

A suspect has been arrested in the kidnapping and assault of a 10-year-old Northridge girl, and investigators are searching for a second suspect who may have fled to San Diego.

Daniel Martinez was arrested and charged with kidnapping Sunday morning. His bail is $1 million. He is a 29-year-old Hispanic man from West Hills but was arrested at the 18200 block of Rayen Street, near CSUN.

Tobias Dustin Summers, previously identified as a suspect, is believed to have fled to San Diego and shaved his head.

This comes after a five-day search for two possible suspects after the girl was taken from her home in the middle of the night and transported to several locations before being dropped off near a hospital in Woodland Hills almost 12 hours later.

Over 50 calls have been made to a tip line available and police ask that anyone with information call the LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division at (213) 486-6890. They ask that anyone that thinks they have seen Summers is urged to call 911 immediately.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal Northridge kidnap case: Man arrested; primary suspect remains on the loose

Post by raine1953 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:41 pm

WOODLAND HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man has been arrested in the kidnapping of a 10-year-old Northridge girl who was taken in the middle of the night and found abandoned hours later in Woodland Hills. But the primary suspect remains on the loose.

Police said 29-year-old Daniel Martinez was taken into custody around 4 a.m. Sunday in the 18200 block of Rayen Street in Northridge. He was being held on $1 million bail.

There was no other information released about Martinez or the circumstances surrounding his arrest, but court records show he has been convicted of various offenses, including burglary, grand theft and resisting a police officer.

Residents on Rayen Street said they didn't know Martinez and didn't hear anything when the arrest took place.

"We just have had our little granddaughters visiting us here and you think that it's somebody else's neighborhood, so it is distressing, certainly. It is a disappointment to us," said neighbor Kate Walsh.

The victim's aunt said she was glad to hear that an arrest had been made and wants the perpetrators placed behind bars for life.

Police are still looking for the primary suspect, identified as 30-year-old Tobias Dustin Summers. Police believe Summers may be in the San Diego area and may have changed his appearance.

"We have been in touch with some of the police in San Diego," said LAPD Cmdr. Andy Smith. "He may have shaved his head to alter his appearance."

On Saturday, investigators seized a red Pontiac registered to Summers. The car was parked in front of a Gilmore Street home known to be one of Summers' last known addresses. Summers also lived in a Reseda townhome with his mother about a year ago.

Summers, a parolee with a lengthy rap sheet, and Martinez are suspected of kidnapping the girl from her home sometime between 1 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. Wednesday. The girl was found later in the day around 2:45 p.m. wandering near a Starbucks at Canoga Avenue and Oxnard Street.

Police said they believe Summers and Martinez drove her to at least two locations, a storage facility at Mason Avenue and Nordhoff Street and an abandoned home in the 8000 block of Hatillo Avenue. However, it was later determined that she had not been taken to that specific rental property.

Summers was described as a white male about 6 feet tall and weighing around 160 pounds. He has closely-cropped blond hair and has large tattoos of a flaming skull and a woman on his right arm. Police said he is known to frequent the North Hollywood area.

Summers' criminal history dates back to 2002. It includes robbery, kidnapping, assault and battery, explosives possession, grand theft auto and petty theft. Four years ago he was arrested for investigation of battery involving child annoyance. He was most recently released from prison in July 2012 and placed under the supervision of probation officials. Summers was jailed briefly in January for a probation violation. He is not a registered sex offender.

Summers was released from custody as part of the AB 109 realignment program, a law intended to reduce overcrowding in state prisons. The law was enacted to comply with a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that found overcrowding in state prisons amounted to cruel and unusual punishment, citing that the inmate suicide rate was 80 percent higher than anywhere else in the nation.

"We have seen several AB 109 individuals that have been involved in serious crimes here in Los Angeles and we'll probably continue to see that," said LAPD Lt. Andrew Neiman. "It's the system that we're dealing with right now and so it's a matter of tracking these individuals and having a system in place where we can really follow up on it."

Officials said they don't believe Summers and the family knew each other.

Around 40 LAPD detectives and FBI agents are involved in the investigation. They're hoping tips from the public will help them capture Summers.

The investigation is ongoing. Authorities urge anyone with information on the suspect or the case to call the LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division tip line at (213) 486-6890 or Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Thank GOD!!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal This Kidnap Suspect Is In Police Custody

Post by raine1953 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 pm

A photograph of Daniel Martinez, 29, of West Hills, the second suspect in the kidnap of a 10-year-old Northridge girl from her bed, has been posted by KNBC4.

Martinez was arrested Sunday morning in the 18200 block of Rayen Street in Northridge, according to the Los Angeles Police Department. He was being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

The prime suspect -- 30-year-old Tobias Dustin Summers, who was identified by police over the weekend -- remains at large. Police said they believe he may have traveled to the San Diego area, and may have changed his appearance by shaving his head.

Summers met with his probation officer just hours before the kidnapping, KNBC4 is reporting.

Probation Assistant Chief Margarita Perez told KNBC4 that meeting occurred in the San Gabriel Valley.

Summers was on probation under California’s prison realignment to ease inmate overcrowding. He was "assessed at a medium risk to re-offend,"according to KNBC4.

County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, a staunch critic of realignment, issued a statement Monday to the Los Angeles Times calling on Gov. Jerry Brown to "take the proper steps" and convene a special legislative session to "repeal this reckless program."

"The governor's failed realignment program is a proven threat to public safety which has overwhelmed probation departments and local law enforcement agencies," according to the statement quoted by the Times.

The Northridge girl was snatched early Wednesday morning from her bedroom in the 8000 block of Oakdale Avenue, a subdivision with large lawns and trees about a half-mile south of Cal State Northridge. She was apparently dropped off near Kaiser Permanente Hospital in Woodland Hills at 2:50 p.m. that day, and she walked to a nearby Starbucks, where she was found by a good Samaritan who pointed her toward police. The girl was barefoot and appeared to be wearing different clothing than those she was reported to be wearing when she disappeared.

Daniel Martinez, 29, of West Hills
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal LAPD: Family Not Tied to 10-Year-Old's Kidnapping

Post by raine1953 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:40 pm

Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck and a top spokesman Tuesday dismissed earlier speculation that family members might have been involved in the kidnapping of a 10-year-old Northridge girl from her home.

"There's nothing in this investigation at this point that leads us to believe the family was involved or connected to the child's abduction or kidnapping." said Lt. Andy Neiman, who heads the Los Angeles Police Department's Media Relations Section.

"There's no connection to the family."

Neiman said the connection to the problems of family members in the past was never a part of the LAPD's investigation.

"It was something that media dug up on their own," Neiman said.

Neiman's comments this afternoon were made following Beck's comments at the Police Commission meeting earlier today saying that no family members were involved in the investigation.

Beck said details of the crime will probably not be available "until the arrests are made and the indictments are sought in court."

The girl was snatched from her bed Wednesday in the 8000 block of Oakdale Avenue, a subdivision with large lawns and trees about a half-mile south of Cal State Northridge. She was dropped off near a hospital at 2:50 in the afternoon, and was comforted by a good Samaritan at a nearby coffee stand until police could be summoned.

For a while there was speculation that family members might have been involved because a family member had been jailed in connection with the abduction of a child in a custody dispute to Europe earlier. Eventually a family member served time in connection with the case.

Daniel Martinez, 29, of North Hills, was taken into custody in connection with the case Sunday. However, police believe the main suspect is Tobias Dustin Summers, 30, who they believe is in the San Diego area.

Summers has large tattoos of a flaming skeleton face, and a woman, on his right arm. He is described as a white man weighing about 160 pounds with blond, closely-cropped hair and blue eyes.

Police said the suspect is a transient known to frequent the Devonshire, North Hollywood and greater San Fernando Valley areas.

The LAPD called an afternoon news conference on Saturday to identify Summers and said he had probably shaved his head to change his looks.

Officers said Summers has a lengthy rap sheet dating back to 2002, and was released from prison or jail last July. He has served prison terms for robbery, kidnapping, explosives possession and petty theft, police said.

Although he is not known to be a registered sex offender, Summers did have an arrest for battery in 2009 that involved child annoyance, Smith said.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:16 pm

NEVER thought "family members" were involved.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:22 am

Remember a time when you could actually trust and believe what the Media was reporting?

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:43 am

Yes..when Walter Cronkite was on the news. "And that's the way it is."

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Mexican police search Tijuana home for Northridge kidnap suspect

Post by raine1953 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:35 am

Mexican authorities helping to find the main suspect in the kidnapping and sexual assault of a Northridge girl have distributed fliers and searched a Tijuana home, they said.

But leads on the whereabouts of Tobias Summers remained slim.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said Friday that video showed Summers, 32, crossing the border into Tecate, Mexico, a few days ago. It was unclear if he crossed back, the chief said.

Alfredo Arenas, commander of the Baja California state police fugitive squad, said Mexican authorities are in daily contact with LAPD officials. On Tuesday, police searched a house in Tijuana, but Summers wasn’t there, Arenas said.

Summers' image appears in a “wanted” poster distributed by the Tijuana police department, and police have been alerted in the Baja California cities of Tijuana, Tecate, Ensenada and Rosarito Beach.

“We want to find the guy before he rapes a Mexican kid,” Arenas said. “We're thinking that he did cross the border and he is on our side of the fence, but we don’t know exactly where.”

The Baja California fugitive squad arrested 115 U.S. fugitives last year hiding out in Mexico. They have arrested 35 so far this year.

Summers was charged in his absence Wednesday with 36 counts of sexual assault, as well as kidnapping and first-degree burglary, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office said. If convicted, he faces multiple life terms in prison.

Police allege he was the one who took a 10-year-old girl from her home the night of March 27 during what sources said may have begun as a burglary. The girl, barefoot and appearing battered and bruised, was dropped off about 12 hours later in a Woodland Hills parking lot.

The police complaint alleges Summers broke into the home and used a knife to abduct the girl. He is charged with committing numerous sexual acts on the child and taking nude photos of her.

Authorities identified Summers, a career criminal, last week as a suspect in the case and said later they had broadened their search to San Diego. The filing of charges could make it easier for authorities to extradite Summers from other states or Mexico.

He was charged with Daniel Martinez, who faces kidnapping and burglary counts. Martinez, 30, was arrested Sunday just two miles from the girl's home and is described by Los Angeles police as a secondary suspect in the crime.

He appeared in a San Fernando courtroom Wednesday and entered a not guilty plea. If convicted, he faces up to 12 years in prison.

LAPD investigators and prosecutors believe Martinez waited in a car outside the girl's home and when Summers came out with her, drove a short distance before leaving.

Martinez is not believed to have initiated the kidnapping or participated in the assault, authorities said.

Law enforcement sources told The Times the incident was believed to have begun as a "hot prowl" burglary. Authorities did not immediately disclose how or why it escalated.

Court records show both men have extensive criminal histories, though authorities said neither is a registered sex offender. Most of the crimes they have been convicted of occurred in the San Fernando Valley.

Summers has convictions for receiving stolen property, possession of an explosive and presenting false identification to police, according to records. In 2009, he was convicted of battery. Originally, he was also charged with annoying a child, but that charge was dismissed.

Between 2004 and 2012, Martinez was convicted of burglary, petty theft, grand theft, resisting a police officer and unlawfully entering a property, according to records. In April 2012, he was convicted of making threats of death or great bodily injury.

It's unclear how long either suspect has spent behind bars. But it appears Summers received an eight-month prison sentence in the petty theft case, and Martinez was sentenced to 16 months in prison in the grand theft case.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Normal BREAKING NEWS: Tobias Summers has been arrested in Mexico

Post by raine1953 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:24 pm

ABC7
BREAKING NEWS: Tobias Summers, the primary suspect in the kidnapping of a 10-year-old girl from Northridge, has been arrested in Mexico.

Summers, 30, has been charged with 37 felonies, including kidnapping, burglary and nearly three dozen sex-related counts. If convicted, he could face multiple life terms in prison.
I saw this on Face Book so other than abc7.com I don't have a link, it was just posted.
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 pm

:cheering:

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Northridge kidnapping suspect arrested in Mexico

Post by raine1953 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:58 pm

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Tobias Dustin Summers, the primary suspect in the kidnapping of a 10-year-old girl from Northridge, was captured Wednesday in a small Mexican village near Tijuana, where he'd been hiding under a fake name.

Authorities received a credible tip on Tuesday that helped officers pinpoint where Summers was. On Wednesday morning, Mexican police moved in and arrested him. Police say he used a fake name to check in to a drug and alcohol treatment center. LAPD Chief Charlie Beck says the suspect tried to blend into the community.
continue at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Video at link
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum