Caryn Kelley ~ 'Dr. G' takes stand in College Park boyfriend, Phillip Peatross, killing case. Updated: Found NOT Guilty of Manslaughter!

Go down

Normal Caryn Kelley ~ 'Dr. G' takes stand in College Park boyfriend, Phillip Peatross, killing case. Updated: Found NOT Guilty of Manslaughter!

Post by Wrapitup on Thu May 23, 2013 11:45 am

Posted: 5:12 p.m. Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Raw Video: Woman describes boyfriend's fatal shooting

ORLANDO, Fla. — Orange County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia took the stand in the Caryn Kelley murder trial Wednesday.

Kelley is accused of shooting her boyfriend to death in her College Park home in 2011.

Garavaglia said that, in her opinion, this was clearly a homicide.

It was a blow to the defense who has said all along that the victim in this case, Phillip Peatross, took the gun and shot himself.

"It's a survivable injury. He dies fairly quickly," said Garavaglia in court.

Garavaglia, better known as Dr. G, told jurors, in gruesome detail, about the gunshot wound to Peatross' head.

Kelley had to look down again today as more photos from the crime scene were shown.

She's accused of shooting Peatross to death during a drunken argument, but her defense maintains Peatross shot himself.

Garavaglia's testimony went against that claim.

"As soon as I saw that wound, I knew it was not suicide," Garavaglia testified.

Garavaglia said it was homicide, citing the angle at which the gun was fired and the distance between his head and the gun.

"A vast majority of suicide attempts – 98 percent -- are contact. The barrel is pressed against the skin," said Garavaglia.

She said that in the Peatross case she believes the gun's barrel was 3-6 inches away.

Defense attorney's accused prosecutors of a discovery violation by trying to get Garavaglia to talk about the prescription pills found in Kelley's bathroom -- something she never talked about during depositions.

"There is no connection. Other than pure speculation about Xanax," said defense attorney Diana Tennis.

The judge agreed, and kept Garavaglia from testifying about that issue in front of the jurors, who will ultimately decide Kelley's fate.

The defense team wanted to question the medical examiner about Peatross being Baker Acted, and attempting suicide in the past, but the judge did not allow that line of questioning either.

Kelly is expected to take the stand to testify in her defense.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Wrapitup on Tue May 28, 2013 11:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Caryn Kelley ~ 'Dr. G' takes stand in College Park boyfriend, Phillip Peatross, killing case. Updated: Found NOT Guilty of Manslaughter!

Post by Wrapitup on Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 am

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Caryn Kelley ~ 'Dr. G' takes stand in College Park boyfriend, Phillip Peatross, killing case. Updated: Found NOT Guilty of Manslaughter!

Post by Wrapitup on Thu May 23, 2013 11:52 am

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu May 23, 2013 11:58 am

Last edited by Wrapitup on Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm

JVM has stated this will be the latest trial they w/be discussing after Hodi hopefully gets the DP.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal The Caryn Kelley trial: Who's who?

Post by Wrapitup on Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 pm

By Amanda Sloane
updated 4:29 PM EDT, Mon May 20, 2013

Caryn Kelley is accused of shooting her boyfriend to death
According to prosecutors, Kelley has given several different explanations for the shooting

Defendant: Caryn Kelley

The 48-year-old real estate agent is on trial for the 2011 death of boyfriend Phillip Peatross. A close friend who was also a neighbor said she saw a change in Kelley's demeanor the weeks before Peatross' death.

“She’s usually outgoing, bubbly, cheerful, happy-go-lucky, that type of thing,” Lois Legg told police. She never asked Kelley what was wrong, but said she knew it must be something.

“She seemed depressed. She seemed sad. She seemed down,” said Legg.

Early in the morning on July 27, 2011, Kelley called 911 saying, "My gun went off in the house! My boyfriend just died! He's bloody! He needs an ambulance, 911!"

She told the dispatcher it was a "self-defense thing" and she also calls it an accident.

In interviews with police, Kelley said Peatross left her home and returned after she was asleep, causing her alarm to beep. She says she grabbed her gun, believing it was an intruder.

Peatross struggled with her for the gun, according to Kelley, pointing it to his head and saying, "Just let me do it." Kelley says the gun went off.

Peatross died of a single gunshot wound to the head. Kelley is now charged with manslaughter with a deadly weapon and faces 30 years in prison.

Victim: Phillip Peatross

The 46-year-old was a pool builder in Florida. His friends and family described him this way in his obituary:

“Phillip was a man who loved his family more than anything in this world. He was kind, gentle and soft spoken. His passion was his children. His loss is devastating.”

Peatross left behind four daughters and his estranged wife, Sandra.

Legg, Kelley's neighbor and friend, said she saw Peatross all the time.

“He was always very quiet, easygoing, smiled a lot," Legg told police. "He had beautiful teeth. And just an all-around, just a good guy."

Defense attorney: Diana Tennis

Tennis is a divorce and criminal attorney out of Orlando, Florida. She has appeared on HLN numerous times, even talking to Dr. Drew about this particular case. She says the evidence supports her client's story.

"When it comes to fighting for your rights," says her website bio, "Diana’s determination makes her a no-nonsense, daunting opponent in the courtroom."

Prosecutor: Candra Moore

Moore is an assistant state attorney in Orlando. You may remember the state attorney she works under, Jeff Ashton, from the Casey Anthony trial.

She recently got a guilty verdict in the case of a man who shot his neighbor, a corrections officer, during a long-standing feud.

Moore also helped get two life sentences for a man who snatched a 4-year-old girl out of her bed.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Sat May 25, 2013 7:58 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Attorneys to make closing arguments in Caryn Kelley trial

Post by Wrapitup on Tue May 28, 2013 12:20 pm

By Amy Pavuk, Orlando Sentinel
11:13 a.m. EDT, May 28, 2013

Attorneys are expected to make their closing arguments today in the case against Caryn Kelley, the College Park woman accused of fatally shooting her boyfriend.

Kelley's defense rested its case Friday, without testimony from the 48-year-old.

Prosecutors accuse Kelley of shooting her boyfriend Phillip Peatross in July 2011 when he returned home hours after a drunken argument.

But defense attorney Diana Tennis said Peatross took the gun from Kelley, and possibly in a play for attention, put the gun to his own head.

Kelley is facing a charge of manslaughter with a weapon. An Orange County jury heard testimony and arguments in the case last week.

After arguing over jury instructions, the state called a rebuttal witness late this morning -- Peatross' ex-girlfriend, whom he dated for about four years.

Prosecutors called her to attempt to show that Peatross never threatened suicide when they broke up.

I have a lot of respect for Diana Tennis. She is Well Known in Orlando..right up there w/Mark Nejame who is NOW w/News Channel 13 as their legal correspondent. That being said, I don't BELIEVE Kelley as far as I can throw her. She was Wasted. I have ultra respect for Dr. G and wholeheartedly AGREE this was NO suicide. my 2 cents

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Caryn Kelley found not guilty in College Park shooting trial. MUST See videos!

Post by Wrapitup on Tue May 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Posted: 4:57 p.m. Tuesday, May 28, 2013

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — The jury found an Orange County woman accused of killing her boyfriend not guilty Tuesday night.

Caryn Kelley was facing manslaughter charges in the 2011 shooting death of Phillip Peatross.

The jury deliberated for less than two hours Tuesday night before they made the decision around 9 p.m.

Earlier, Kelley wiped tears away in court as day six of testimony wrapped up with two final witnesses for the prosecution.

The prosecutors were trying to show that Peatross was not suicidal at the time of the shooting. They said Kelley pulled the trigger during a drunken argument.

In closing arguments, they reiterated testimony from the medical examiner that the angle and distance of the gun would make it tough for Peatross to have pulled the trigger.

They pointed out Kelley's own words from her 911 call.

"Did he shoot himself? Yes or no?" said the 911 operator.

"No. No. But it was an accident," Kelley said.

In closing arguments, her attorney, Diana Tennis, apologized for giving the impression during opening statements that Kelley was going to testify, only to have Kelley change her mind on Friday.

Tennis appeared to be trying to cast doubt into the mind of jurors about what really happened.

"She grabbed a gun fresh out of sleep and in fear. Him, we don't know," Tennis said.

The defense wrapped up by saying the shooting was just a horrible accident.

Despite being accused of manslaughter, Kelley was peppy when she left the Orange County courthouse, before the jury returned their verdict.

"You could go to prison," said a Channel 9 reporter.

"You know what? You better get that thing out of my face," said Kelley.

Prosecutors had their last say Tuesday afternoon before the trial went to the jury, which ruled Kelley was not guilty of manslaughter Tuesday night.

As Kelley walked out of the courtroom, Channel 9's Tim Barber asked what her plans were after being found not guilty by a jury.

"Go to Disney World," Kelley said.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Tue May 28, 2013 11:18 pm

I thought I was going to stab myself watching Kelley screaming in a drunken fit and JVM/NG playing it over and over ad nauseum.

I honestly don't think she knows what she did. I think she was WASTED and not just on booze as someone said on NG. She was seeing a guy that was married w/4 kids who wanted to get back together w/his old gf. She, IMHO, was simply a booty call.

I don't like her haughtiness.It was said she bought the gun b/c someone in her condo assoc was threatening her but on the stand, a neighbor testified SHE was the one threatening him. Also, a neighbor testified that she overheard Kelley tell Peatross "if you come back you know I have a gun and I will use it" (paraphrasing). She's also known as a partier. I bet the LAST place she's going is Disney World.

I feel for the victim's 4 children and his wife. I think she will be back in the slammer on a DUI charge one day.

sidenote: was really looking forward to see the Arias jurors on NG. Bet they ALL declined. LMAO! NG was in her typical "lets blow this case out of proportion and let me once again talk about ME being a victim." my 2 cents

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Evidence photos - complete w/Xanax and Ambien.

Post by Wrapitup on Tue May 28, 2013 11:54 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Diana Tennis is Very Good at what she does!

Post by Wrapitup on Tue May 28, 2013 11:57 pm

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by samgoodwin on Wed May 29, 2013 12:02 am

Wrapitup wrote:I thought I was going to stab myself watching Kelley screaming in a drunken fit and JVM/NG playing it over and over ad nauseum.

I honestly don't think she knows what she did. I think she was WASTED and not just on booze as someone said on NG. She was seeing a guy that was married w/4 kids who wanted to get back together w/his old gf. She, IMHO, was simply a booty call.

I don't like her haughtiness.It was said she bought the gun b/c someone in her condo assoc was threatening her but on the stand, a neighbor testified SHE was the one threatening him. Also, a neighbor testified that she overheard Kelley tell Peatross "if you come back you know I have a gun and I will use it" (paraphrasing). She's also known as a partier. I bet the LAST place she's going is Disney World.

I feel for the victim's 4 children and his wife. I think she will be back in the slammer on a DUI charge one day.

sidenote: was really looking forward to see the Arias jurors on NG. Bet they ALL declined. LMAO! NG was in her typical "lets blow this case out of proportion and let me once again talk about ME being a victim." my 2 cents

I just saw this case for the first time tonight on NG. I agree, this woman was on booze and possibly sleeping pills or pain killers. She was so messed up. That was a really annoying 911 call, and then NG had to talk over it. LOL.

At least we got 2 jurors on Dr. Drew, and the other one on After Dark (which I forced myself to watch part of just to hear this juror.) Too funny on them refusing to go on NG.
samgoodwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 am

I don't normally watch After Dark but it was particularly GOOD tonight.

Ya, this Kelley chick is a real trip. NG made her out to be this beauty queen who is just SO well known in the real estate biz in Orlando. No one that I know who lives in Orlando had ever heard of her until this case and the ONLY reason is b/c it's all over the local news here. As is Zimmerman. GAG!

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Wed May 29, 2013 3:38 am

She changed her story 5 times during that bizarre 911 call.
I'm really surprised the jury didn't find her guilty.

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed May 29, 2013 1:06 pm

She had an AWESOME defense attorney. MOO.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by samgoodwin on Wed May 29, 2013 2:59 pm

I really felt she had done it just form listening to that 911 call. Amazing she got off. I'm beginning to wonder if jurors are ever going to convict anyone ever again. crap
samgoodwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama on Wed May 29, 2013 3:11 pm

I didn't follow this trial so I know nothing about what the jurors were told. I wonder if they were aware of her many versions of how he was shot and what the jury thinks now that they are able to get on the internet and do their own research on this case?

Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed May 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Watching JVM..DVR'd it. Defense Attorney, Diana Tennis, is on. If I EVER got in trouble, I would hire her in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum