Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MARIO MCNEILL SENTENCED TO DEATH for the murder of SHANIYA DAVIS

4 posters

Go down

MARIO MCNEILL SENTENCED TO DEATH for the murder of SHANIYA DAVIS Empty MARIO MCNEILL SENTENCED TO DEATH for the murder of SHANIYA DAVIS

Post by LoudMouth Wed May 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Praise the Lord! The jury only took 30 minutes to decide his fate. I believe this is the appropriate punishment for that evil, worthless murdering pedophile.

The only thing that sucks is that Shaniya's crackhead mother won't get the needle. Filthy ghetto trash. But at least she might get life without parole.

I'm so sorry about what happened to you, Shaniya. You had the misfortune of being born into a circle of cruel human beings, but most of us are very nice. We have not forgotten you. We have followed this case to the very end, and when the scum that killed you gets the needle, we'll be following that too. Leave this trash to us while you go play with the angels. We got him. We got him!

LoudMouth

Back to top Go down

MARIO MCNEILL SENTENCED TO DEATH for the murder of SHANIYA DAVIS Empty Re: MARIO MCNEILL SENTENCED TO DEATH for the murder of SHANIYA DAVIS

Post by Nama Wed May 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Jurors in the Mario McNeill murder trial quickly decided Wednesday that he should be sentenced to death for the murder of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis.
The jury in the case reached their verdict within 30 minutes of receiving instructions from a judge following an one-sided closing argument from prosecutors for why McNeill should get the death penalty. The court then accepted the sentence.

Following the decision, the judge and Shaniya's father, Brad Lockhart, addressed McNeill.

Lockhart told McNeill from the witness stand that he made a mockery of the court by laughing and smirking.

"You didn't win," he said. "I'm just going to pray for you."

"You did not have to kill that child," the judge added. Take him out of here now."

The judge then told Shaniya's family, "I can't give you justice."

On Tuesday, McNeill went against the advice of his legal team and told the judge he did not want to present any evidence or call witnesses in the penalty phase of his trial.

Last week, they found the 33 year old guilty of first-degree murder.

McNeill was found not guilty of first-degree rape of a child, but guilty of first-degree kidnapping, human trafficking with a child victim, sexual servitude with a child victim, sexual offense of a child and indecent liberties with a child charges.

Prosecutors said in 2009, McNeill took the child from her Fayetteville home to sexually assault her at a motel in Sanford before killing her and dumping her body in an area known to be a place where deer hunters dump carcasses just off N.C. Highway 87 near the Lee-Harnett County line.
Normally in such cases, both the prosecution and the defense call witnesses and present evidence during a trial's penalty phase.

"Justice is with us, but we're not done," Assistant District Attorney Robby Hicks said. "For justice to be complete in this case, a punishment has to be determined. For that man over there. A man who now among other things, a child murderer."

The state also asked that the jury not sympathize with McNeill for not having his defense team put on a case.

Prosecutors have also charged Shaniya's mother, Antoinette Davis, with selling her daughter to McNeill to pay a drug debt. Davis hasn't been tried yet.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

MARIO MCNEILL SENTENCED TO DEATH for the murder of SHANIYA DAVIS Empty Re: MARIO MCNEILL SENTENCED TO DEATH for the murder of SHANIYA DAVIS

Post by raine1953 Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 pm

YES!!!!!

I LOVE that jury, they got it right!!!!

I just wish there could be real justice for little Shaniya, part of that would include the DP for Shaniya's so-called Mother.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu May 30, 2013 11:58 pm

I can't BELIEVE I am Just Now Reading this!!!

Loudmouth, thank you for letting us know. WOW!! 30 min for the jury to make their decision? LOVE IT!

It still seems that it's not enough.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu May 30, 2013 11:59 pm

Mario McNeill Sentenced To Death In Shaniya Davis Case
1:47 PM, May 29, 2013

Fayetteville, NC-- Wednesday, a Cumberland County jury sentenced Mario Andrette McNeill to death for the November 2009 death of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis.

According to WRAL-TV, who has been covering the trial, the eight-man, four-woman jury convicted McNeill, 32, last week of First-Degree Murder, First-Degree Kidnapping, Sexual Offense of a Child, Indecent Liberties with a Child, Human Trafficking and Sexual Servitude in connection with the girl's death.

Although the deliberation for the conviction took almost eight hours over two days, jurors needed less than 40 minutes to decide McNeill's sentence.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri May 31, 2013 12:07 am

FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Jurors in the Mario McNeill murder trial quickly decided Wednesday that he should be sentenced to death for the murder of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis.

The jury in the case reached its verdict within 30 minutes of receiving instructions from a judge following an one-sided closing argument from prosecutors for why McNeill should get the death penalty. The court then accepted the sentence.

Following the decision, the judge and Shaniya's father, Brad Lockhart, addressed McNeill.

Lockhart told McNeill from the witness stand that he made a mockery of the court by laughing and smirking.

"You didn't win," he said. "I'm just going to pray for you."

"You did not have to kill that child," the judge added.

McNeill replied, "I didn't."

The judge then told Shaniya's family, "I can't give you justice."

On Tuesday, McNeill went against the advice of his legal team and told the judge he did not want to present any evidence or call witnesses in the penalty phase of his trial.

Last week, they found the 33 year old guilty of first-degree murder.

McNeill was found not guilty of first-degree rape of a child, but guilty of first-degree kidnapping, human trafficking with a child victim, sexual servitude with a child victim, sexual offense of a child and indecent liberties with a child.

Prosecutors said in 2009, McNeill took the child from her Fayetteville home to sexually assault her at a motel in Sanford before killing her and dumping her body in an area known to be a place where deer hunters dump carcasses just off N.C. Highway 87 near the Lee-Harnett County line.

District Attorney Billy West thanked the judge, jury, and community for their interest in the case.

"The case had many twists and turns, and we just stuck to the evidence that we knew we wanted to present and how we wanted to present it, and we saw that through, and fortunately justice was done in the end," West said.

The state also asked that the jury not sympathize with McNeill for not having his defense team put on a case.

Normally in such cases, both the prosecution and the defense call witnesses and present evidence during a trial's penalty phase.

"As defense lawyers, we can't help but wonder would it have made a difference if we would have been able to present mitigating evidence. [McNeill] definitely went against the advice of counsel," defense attorney Butch Pope said. "Both Terry Alford and I are a little bit empty feeling right now. Certainly it was a disappointment."

An alternate juror spoke to ABC11 after McNeill was sentenced to death. The mother of three and first grade teacher called Wednesday a bittersweet day.

"It's a happy day because they reached the verdict that I would have reached. But it's also a really hard day to not feel sadness for his family, to feel sadness for her family, and just to feel like this is finally over," said Melanie Baker. "I hope that I'll get over the hurt and the anger that it happened. I hope that lessens, but I don't think the memory will."

McNeill arrived at Central Prison in Raleigh late Wednesday afternoon.

Prosecutors have also charged Shaniya's mother, Antoinette Davis, with selling her daughter to McNeill to pay a drug debt. Davis hasn't been tried yet.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri May 31, 2013 12:17 am

Published: 07:53 AM, Thu May 30, 2013

Jury sentences Mario McNeill to death for the murder of Shaniya Davis

By Michael Futch
Staff writer

Jurors on Wednesday took 39 minutes to recommend that Mario McNeill be sentenced to death for killing 5-year-old Shaniya Davis in November 2009.

A few "Amens" could be heard from the side of the courtroom where members of Shaniya's family were seated.

Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons didn't waste time after sentencing the defendant. May God have mercy on your soul, he told him.

"Stand up, Mr. McNeill. You did not have to kill that child," a terse Ammons said. "Take him out of here now."

McNeill, 33, was cuffed, arms behind his back, and hastily led from the courtroom by the bailiffs and extra security detail. He did not peer back at his mother, whose stone-faced demeanor belied no raw emotion.

The verdict didn't seem to faze McNeill, who appeared to mumble something to Ammons on the way out. He may have said, "I didn't do it," according to four observers in the courtroom.

Earlier, McNeill had declined the judge's opportunity to speak to Shaniya's family, his feet swinging beneath the defendant's table as he told the judge, "No."

Ammons had largely maintained a calm composure during the case, which had morphed into a trying ordeal for the families and lawyers on both sides. That changed while addressing the families of the guilty and the innocent.

"I apologize for you being here," Ammons said to McNeill's family, "but Mario is the reason that we're all here. He is 100 percent responsible for all of this."

The defendant's mother, Juanita Ball, attended each day of the trial since it started April 8 with jury selection.

Ammons then spoke to Shaniya's family, including her 43-year-old father, Bradley Lockhart, and her half-sister, Cheyenne Lockhart.

"I apologize," the judge said, as emotion began to flush his face. "I apologize for referring to Shaniya as the victim. For talking about Shaniya's body. I apologize for your having to go through all of this. I can't give you justice. The jury has given you what we as humans - the best, we as humans do is give you justice.

"I said a prayer for you every night of this trial, and I will continue to do so."

Only one juror - alternate Melanie Baker, 42 - agreed to talk to reporters. Baker is a first-grade teacher whose students are about the age Shaniya was when her body was found off Walker Road in Lee County on Nov. 16, 2009.

"This has been hard," she said.

But the jury was convinced of McNeill's guilt once the state had presented a strong case that left no question in their minds, Baker said.

McNeill may have been his own worst enemy in court, she said.

"Throughout the proceedings," she said, "we felt this was a game for him. Refusing to put on evidence and deciding not to testify. ... There was no emotion on his face. All his laughing, giggling. There was no contrition or remorse."

Bradley and Cheyenne Lockhart came forward when Ammons asked if anyone in the courtroom wanted to speak about Shaniya.

Cheyenne Lockhart thanked all of the family's supporters.

It had been a long road, Bradley Lockhart said, and the verdict failed to produce a victory for anyone.

Then, with eyes that seemed to pierce through McNeill, he directed his words at the defendant:

"I think about those last seconds, and you was the last thing my daughter got to look at. Made a mockery of this court. Laughing, joking like this was a joke. Shaniya wasn't a joke. Shaniya (affected) so many people. Not just my life, but so many people out there. And you tried to destroy it.

"But her legacy is going to live on. You didn't win. I can be angry and hateful towards you. It's not going to affect this problem. Shaniya won because she's going to be speaking out and protecting against people like you."

After a pause, he added again, "You didn't win."

Against the advice of his lawyers, McNeill asked that his lawyers not put on evidence, not present the mitigating factors to the jury and not give closing arguments during the sentencing phase of the trial.

Ammons said the law indicates that counsel must abide by its client's wishes.

Aggravating factors during the punishment phase included McNeill's three previous felony assault convictions and his convictions in this case on kidnapping and sex offense charges.

Mitigating factors, which McNeill had allowed his lawyers to compile but not present, included his use of drugs and alcohol at the time of Shaniya's kidnapping and death, the fact that he voluntarily went to the police to be interviewed after Shaniya was reported missing, and that he was a taxpayer.

On Tuesday, McNeill told Ammons that it didn't matter to him - his lawyers arguing his case for life over death - since he had lost his goal of freedom.

"I wish we'd had a chance to talk to the jury about sentencing," a soft-voiced Terry Alford said from a nearly cleared courtroom. "I don't know if it would have made a difference, but they would have heard the whole story. I'm just disappointed we didn't get a chance to do that."

Harold "Butch" Pope, McNeill's other lawyer, said it was important to note that the defense had "a mitigating investigator and pews full of witnesses to put on for him" during the final phase of the trial.

The defense has given notice that it intends to appeal the conviction and punishment.

In his closing argument, Cumberland County District Attorney Billy West urged jurors to sentence McNeill to death.

He opened his argument with, "No regard for Shaniya's innocence.

"No regard for Shaniya's life.

"And absolutely no remorse.

"That is what this defendant has done and how he conducted himself," West said. "He showed no regard for her innocence. He kidnapped her from her home in the middle of the night of Nov. 10, 2009, and sexually assaulted a 5-year-old of the innocence of a child. He showed no regard for her life and left her alone on desolate Walker Road in Lee County. And he showed absolutely no remorse. A lack of conscience."
RIP crying
West said the seven mitigating factors were insufficient to outweigh the prosecution's five aggravating circumstances in determining their sentencing decision.

"The defendant," he said, "could have dropped Shaniya off at a McDonald's."

Instead, West said, he killed her.

Baker, the alternate juror, said it will take time for members of the jury to get back to a normal life. For eight weeks, much of their day has been spent in the courtroom and jury room.

"Over the eight weeks, we really formed a tight group," she said.

Last week, the jury found McNeill guilty of first-degree murder and five other charges in Shaniya's death. Jurors returned a not guilty verdict on a charge of child rape.

McNeill also was found guilty of first-degree kidnapping, human trafficking with a child victim, sexual servitude with a child victim, sexual offense of a child and indecent liberties with a child.

Two other charges of sexual exploitation, which McNeill has said are related to images found on his cellphone, are pending. Those are separate charges from the seven he was tried on during the trial.

Authorities said Shaniya's mother handed over her child to McNeill to settle a drug debt and then falsely reported her missing from their residence in the Sleepy Hollow Mobile Home Park.

The state said McNeill took Shaniya to the Comfort Suites in Sanford before assaulting her, killing her and dumping her body in a rural area of Lee County.

Davis, 28, faces similar charges to McNeill and is awaiting trial.

West said Davis' trial could get under way by the fall. He anticipates a conference with Judge Ammons within the next month or so to discuss the trial schedule.

Davis does not face the death penalty.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri May 31, 2013 12:28 am

Be that as it may, I doubt dear old dad gets very much sleep. I cannot believe he was not arrested for NEGLECT at the very minimum! grrrr It\\'s Not Fair karma karma karma pulling hair pulling hair head bang head bang head bang angry
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri May 31, 2013 12:34 am

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri May 31, 2013 12:43 am

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri May 31, 2013 12:49 am

I want this judge and this jury to get their butts to Maricopa County for round two in the Arias case. Pronto.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down