Lois Janish Admits Killing & Dismembering Her Granddaughter Coral Hall~ UPDATE: Lois Janish Sentenced To 9 Years In Prison For Killing Her Granddaughter, Who Vanished in 1998

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Normal Lois Janish Admits Killing & Dismembering Her Granddaughter Coral Hall~ UPDATE: Lois Janish Sentenced To 9 Years In Prison For Killing Her Granddaughter, Who Vanished in 1998

Post by NiteSpinR on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:34 am

August 1, 2013

A detective says a 73-year-old Flint woman admits beating her teenage granddaughter to death with a hammer, then dismembering and scattering the remains 15 years ago.

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton has charged Lois Janish with an open count of murder in the death of 14-year-old Coral Hall. The girl disappeared in 1998 and her body has never been found.

Janish was arraigned Thursday in Flint District Court, and Judge Nathaniel Perry III ordered her jailed without bond.

Leyton spokesman John Potbury says the teen went missing after calling a friend asking for a place to stay and saying she'd been fighting with her grandmother.

MLive.com reports that Sgt. Greg Hosmer says Janish apologized for dumping her granddaughter's body. She says she and her now-dead boyfriend dismembered her.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by NiteSpinR on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Be Humble For You Are Made Of Earth~Be Noble For You Are Made Of Stars
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Coral Pearl Hall

Post by NiteSpinR on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:40 am

Age Enhancement Published By Missing and Endangered

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Lois Janish Admits Killing & Dismembering Her Granddaughter Coral Hall~ UPDATE: Lois Janish Sentenced To 9 Years In Prison For Killing Her Granddaughter, Who Vanished in 1998

Post by NiteSpinR on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:54 am

She was barely 14 when Coral P. Hall made a desperate call from the pay phone at Ann Arbor and West Court streets near the White Horse Tavern.

There was trouble at home, Hall told her friend Melissa Pierce, and she needed to get out of Flint.

Almost 10 years later, Pierce still remembers that unnerving late-night call to her home in Michigan's Thumb and how by the time her boyfriend and uncle made the long drive to Flint, Hall had vanished into the night.

"They couldn't find her," Pierce said. "They looked around, they drove down streets looking for her, and they couldn't find her."

Years after friends grew frustrated at the lack of progress in solving Hall's disappearance, Flint police are taking a fresh look at her case, assigning it to the city's Violent Crime Task Force.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Lois Janish Admits Killing & Dismembering Her Granddaughter Coral Hall~ UPDATE: Lois Janish Sentenced To 9 Years In Prison For Killing Her Granddaughter, Who Vanished in 1998

Post by NiteSpinR on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:28 am

08/02/2013

Police say a Michigan grandmother who once falsely told authorities her missing granddaughter had returned home has now allegedly admitted to killing her.

Lois Janish, 74, is facing charges of open murder in the death of Coral Hall, who disappeared in 1998 at the age of 14, WNEM 5 News reported.

The teen vanished shortly after a heated altercation with her grandmother. Hall called a friend from a pay phone to arrange a sleepover, but never showed.

Hall was never heard from again, and her body has never been found.

At the time of her disappearance, Hall was living with Janish and Janish's boyfriend, who is now deceased after complications with alcohol, a report from the Daily Mail said.

Over a decade later, investigators in the case have arrested Janish, who police said never gave them straight answers.

"All of [the grandmother’s] statements over the years have been inconsistent," Sgt. Greg Hosmer told the New York Daily News. "Trying to sort them out just didn’t make any sense. We just followed up on all of that."

Childhood friends of Hall tried to see their long-lost friend after Janish once claimed her granddaughter had returned. But after not being allowed to see her, Hall's friends turned to Detective Sgt. Hosmer, according to a report in the NY Daily News.

Hosmer said Janish made numerous "incriminating statements" and constantly changed her story.

One version of Janish's story involved telling investigators her granddaughter moved down South to live, while another version involved Hall fleeing to California with an older man. At one point, Janish allegedly even said that Hall was found raped and stabbed to death in California, according to a report by MLive news.

Hosmer told a judge that Janish actually admit that she and her boyfriend dismembered Hall, but recanted her story after hiring an attorney. She told investigators she made the stories up.

In 2011 and 2012, Janish admitted in a polygraph test to smoking crack cocaine.

Hosmer told the judge he interviewed three women lodged at the jail at the same time as Janish. The women described her as "scary" and allegedly told Hosmer that she giggled as she told them she killed Hall by hitting her in the head with a hammer and scattering her remains.

Hall's half sister, Jacinda Jones, told the Daily News she was ready for Janish to be convicted and that the grandmother was "not a very good woman."

There is no bond for Janish because she faces an open murder charge.

"It feels good," Jones said. "It's happy tears all the way. I just want to know where my sister's buried. When she murdered my sister, she took me down with her."

Janish could face life in prison without parole if convicted.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Childhood Friend Of Coral Hall Says 'It feels like a dream,' Following Grandmother's Arrest On Murder Charge In 14 Year Old Case

Post by NiteSpinR on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:48 pm

FLINT, MI – After searching for clues into the disappearance of 14-year-old Coral Hall for nearly as long as she lived, Flint police say they have gathered enough evidence to seek a murder charge against 73-year-old Lois Janish.

Janish, Hall’s grandmother, was arrested Wednesday, July 31. She was scheduled to be arraigned Thursday, Aug. 1, in 68th District Court. She faces an open murder charge and was held in the Genesee County Jail.

The Flint Police Department’s Violent Crime Task Force picked up on the case around five years ago. Hall went missing Sept. 22, 1998, after calling a friend from a pay phone near the White Horse Tavern in Flint.

While not able to provide a lot of insight into the case, which has been turned over to the Genesee County Prosecutor’s Office, Flint Detective Sgt. Greg Hosmer said, “All of (the grandmother’s) statements over the years have been inconsistent. Trying to sort them out just didn’t make any sense. We just followed up on all of that.”

Since his office took over the case more than a handful of years ago, Hosmer said, “There’s never really been any tips. A six-year investigation just led from one name to another.”

Friends of Hall’s have told Flint police she made a phone call asking a friend to spend the night. The pair were supposed to meet at a pre-arraigned location, but Hall never showed up.

A similar arrangement had also been set up with another friend, who told police Hall had been fighting with her grandmother and needed a place to stay for the night, but she never arrived.

“We’re pretty convinced she has died,” said Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton. He said there has been no trace over the years of Hall's Social Security information or credit cards issued in her name.

He noted the grandmother and her boyfriend, who is now dead, are believed to have been involved in Hall’s death, stating, “The grandmother has been a suspect all along. We have probable cause.”

Leyton called the situation “a bit of an unusual case,” as Hall’s body has not been found. In cold cases, he said evidence is presented “From time to time and we tell the investigators where we need additional evidence.”

“It’s never the first time you’ve heard the case,” he said when a charge is brought, while declining to get into specifics of this investigation. “There are multiple meetings required.”

The absence of a body, Leyton said, is “not overwhelmingly damaging to a case,” with the office building a circumstantial case against Janish. He said an open murder charge allows for flexibility in the case, with the potential for a charge of first-degree murder that would carry a life sentence with no chance of parole.

Having worked closely with Hosmer, Leyton said, “He is doggedly determined and never gives up,” while noting “He was even surprised when we brought up charges.” Hosmer gave credit, however, to two people in particular -- Hall’s childhood friends Melissa Jackson and Tanya Boillat -- for their constant attention to the case.

“They were the best friends anybody could ask for,” he said. Jackson said Hosmer came to her home Wednesday to let her know of the charge in the case.

“It’s been a flood of emotions for me today,” said Jackson. “I’m happy, “I’m angry, I’m sad about the situation… but I knew someday her case would go somewhere and find out what happened to her.”

Jackson met Hall while they were children in the Atherton school district and recalled “She was like my best friend. She was like my sister.”

“She was very loving, she was very kind. She’s the type of person that would do anything for you,” said Jackson. “She was funny, she had a great sense of humor, a wonderful friend. I still remember her laugh.”

“To me, it was heartbreaking. I couldn’t let it go,” she said following Hall’s disappearance. “I did everything I could to help with the investigation, so it wasn’t moved on and forgotten about like so many missing people in Flint.”

Janish called police following her granddaughter’s disappearance, saying Hall was going to return a book to a neighbor and never returned. Janish previously told The Flint Journal in 2008 she’d submitted to a lie detector test in the case and had been fighting with Hall about missing school prior to her disappearance.

Police initially received tips, including potential sightings of Hall in northern Indiana, Utah, Pontiac, along with Janish stating two men living in her home had mentioned taking Hall to California.

Hall moved in with Janish after a Genesee County probate judge ruled Sharon A. Jones, Hall’s mother, was not able to care for her daughter, according to MLive-Flint Journal records. Jones died in December 1996 from a drug overdose, and Hall moved with her grandmother to several different places in the community.

Boillat said no matter where Hall moved, they would always keep in touch with Hall who despite her small stature wasn’t scared of anything that came her way.

“It was always me, Melissa and Coral,” she said, her voice choked with emotion. “Just play stupid games and having a good old time. We miss her to pieces.”

After her disappearance, Boillat said, “We went looking for her on foot, wandering around neighborhoods trying to find her. Boillat recalled Hall discussing personal issues at home, with the group sneaking away to the woods to eat cookies during some of those troubled times.

“No matter who I see, or where I’m at, I always mention Coral,” Boillat said. “I had this really good friend and one day she vanished.”

Boillat and Jackson would travel door-to-door asking people if they’d seen their friends, and the pair also went through the phone book calling all the Halls listed to see if anyone knew of her whereabouts.

Multiple calls for comment on the case by MLive-Flint Journal to Robin Wheaton, Janish's attorney, were not returned Wednesday.

During the early course of the investigation, Boillat said felt she was ignored because of her age at the time, noting, “It wasn’t until Hosmer. Hosmer was very happy to talk to us, as we were to talk to him. It seems like he really cared and had heart.”

“I think, honestly, this is one of the best days of my life," she said.

“It’s like…shocking. I cry, then I am happy and then I cry,” said Boillat. “Is this true? It just feels like a dream.”

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Story Of Missing, Coral Hall, 'Deeply Frustrating'

Post by NiteSpinR on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:29 pm

August 09, 2013

It appears that Coral Hall was just 3 years old when she was placed with her grandmother, Lois Janish.
This is a grandmother who was described as "scary" by inmates sharing a cell with her at one point, according to detectives.

What does it take for protective services to protect vulnerable children? Evidently not accusations of medical and physical neglect that resulted in five protective services investigations, and not substance abuse by the grandmother who allegedly admitted to using crack cocaine. Nor did the sexual abuse allegations made by Coral against her grandmother's boyfriend seem to make any difference.

This heartbreaking story is deeply frustrating and beyond sad.

How many other vulnerable children are suffering under similar circumstances with no one to rescue them?

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HippyChick2 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:14 am

You are right, Nite, and I hope they are working with fixing the system they have now. We read far too many stories of kids who slip through the cracks at Child Protective Services, usually the social work will say her caseload is so heavy, etc. If that's the case, hire more fricking social workers!! And hire the ones who are going to do their jobs, not sit on their fat ass at the office and let kids continue to suffer at the hands of unacceptable caregivers. Gramma smokes crack? Dang, she must have had some money cos I hear that's expensive.
HippyChick2

http://www.abbiespot.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Normal Coral Hall's grandmother offered man 'time alone' with teen in exchange for drugs

Post by NiteSpinR on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:00 am

A Flint grandmother accused of killing her teenage granddaughter allegedly offered a man "time alone" with the teen in exchange for drugs, according to witness testimony.

Aaron Dortman, 42, testified Monday, Aug. 19, that Lois Janish made the offer before Janish's granddaughter, Coral Hall, disappeared Sept. 22, 1998.

Janish, 73, was arraigned Aug. 1 in Flint District Court on a single charge of open murder after authorities say she killed Hall in 1998. Janish allegedly told investigators she killed the girl with a hammer then dismembered her body before scattering her remains -- a story that she eventually recanted.

Dortman was the sole witness called to testify during Monday's preliminary exam. Prosecutors and Janish's attorney, Ken Karasick, agreed to waive the exam, but prosecutors had Dortman testify in order to preserve his statement on the court record.

Hall was 14 years old when she went missing Sept. 22, 1998. Her body has never been found. Her last known location in the Flint area was a call from a pay phone near the White Horse Tavern to a friend about a fight she and Janish had.

Dortman, who was in his mid-20s when Hall disappeared, testified that he lived in the same Ann Arbor Street neighborhood as Hall and Janish the year Hall disappeared. Dortman said that Hall was his "using buddy" and that he regularly smoked crack cocaine with the girl. So sad to hear that at 14 Coral was smoking crack. Her mom died of a drug overdose and Grandma wanted to pimp her out to score drugs for herself.
"At times, I did give Coral crack cocaine," Dortman testified.

Dortman said he rarely interacted with Janish, but said that Janish offered him time alone with Hall in exchange for drugs. However, Dortman, who talked candidly about his own drug addiction, said Janish never elaborated on what she meant by the offer.

Police say that Janish admitted to using crack cocaine after she was awarded custody of Hall.

Court records show Janish raised her granddaughter after a Genesee County Probate judge found Hall's mother, Sharon A. Jones, unable to care for her daughter. Jones died of a drug overdose on Dec. 23, 1996 -- two years before Hall disappeared. 

Dortman, who said he already spent plenty of time alone with Hall, particularly when the two were smoking crack, denied that he had any physical relationship with the girl.

"Me and Coral were friends -- nothing more, nothing less," Dortman testified.

Janish has told different accounts of what happened to Hall since the girl's disappearance, according to police. One version involved Hall moving down South to live while another involved Hall fleeing to California with an older man, police said. Janish allegedly even said that Hall was found raped and stabbed to death in California, police said.

Police said Janish went through polygraph examinations administered by the Genesee County Sheriff's Department in July 2011 and August 2012, in which Janish allegedly admitted that Hall was dead.

Janish allegedly wrote a letter apologizing for dumping Hall's body and agreed to help authorities search for Hall's remains, according to police. Three searches were conducted but no remains were found.

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said the searches were conducted around the Ann Arbor Street home Janish lived in at the time of Hall's disappearance.

Police said Janish admitted that she and her boyfriend dismembered Hall and that she visited her granddaughter's grave three to four times. However, Janish allegedly recanted her story after hiring an attorney and told investigators that she made up the information.

Dortman said that Hall showed physical signs of abuse before she went missing.
"(Hall) wasn't happy," Dortman said. "The grandmother was mistreating her."

Janish was bound over to be arraigned Sept. 9 in Genesee Circuit Court. She faces the possibility of life in prison without parole if convicted.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Lois Janish Ordered To Undergo Psychiatric Evaluation

Post by NiteSpinR on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:23 pm

January 14, 2014

FLINT, MI -- A woman accused of killing her 14-year-old granddaughter more than 15 years ago was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation to see if she is able to stand trial on the accusations.

Lois Arlene Janish, 74, was ordered Monday, Jan. 13, by Genesee Circuit Judge Joseph J. Farah to undergo the evaluation after she was charged with open murder for the death of Coral Hall.

Hall went missing Sept. 22, 1998. Her body has never been found. Her last known location in the Flint area was a call from a pay phone near the White Horse Tavern to a friend about a fight she and Janish had.

The evaluation will determine if Janish is competent to stand trial and if she was criminally responsible for the alleged crime.

A competency evaluation focuses on Janish's current mental state and her ability to assist her attorney, Jessica Mainprize-Hajek, in her defense. The evaluation for criminal responsibility centers on Janish's mental state at the time of the alleged offense.

Mainprize-Hajek could not be reached for comment on the case.

Janish allegedly told investigators she killed the girl with a hammer then dismembered her body before scattering her remains -- a story that she eventually recanted.

Aaron Dortman was the sole witness called to testify during Janish's Aug. 19 preliminary exam.

Dortman, who was in his mid-20s when Hall disappeared, testified that he lived in the same Ann Arbor Street neighborhood as Hall and Janish the year Hall disappeared. Dortman said that Hall was his "using buddy" and that he regularly smoked crack cocaine with the girl.

Dortman said he rarely interacted with Janish, but he added that Janish offered him time alone with Hall in exchange for drugs. However, Dortman, who talked candidly about his own drug addiction, said Janish never elaborated on what she meant by the offer.

Police say that Janish admitted to using crack cocaine after she was awarded custody of Hall.

Dortman, who said he already spent plenty of time alone with Hall, particularly when the two were smoking crack, denied that he had any physical relationship with the girl.

Janish has given different accounts of what happened to Hall since the girl's disappearance, according to police. One version involved Hall moving down South to live while another involved Hall fleeing to California with an older man, police said. Janish allegedly even said that Hall was found raped and stabbed to death in California.

A hearing is scheduled in the case Feb. 24.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Lois Janish Found Competent To Stand Trial

Post by NiteSpinR on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:22 am

April 21, 2014

A 74-year-old Flint woman has been found competent to stand trial on accusations that she killed her 14-year-old granddaughter, Coral Hall.

Lois Janish was found competent to stand trial Monday, April 21, by Genesee Circuit Judge Joseph J. Farah to stand trial on a single charge of open murder for Hall's death.

Janish was charged in Hall's death in August 2013 after authorities say she killed the girl in 1998. Janish allegedly told investigators she killed the girl with a hammer then dismembered her body before scattering her remains -- a story that she eventually recanted.

Farah granted a motion by Janish's attorney, Jessica Mainprize-Hajek, for her client to undergo an independent psychological evaluation.

Officials are still awaiting results of a criminal responsibility exam.

The competency evaluation focused on Janish's current mental state and her ability to assist Mainprize-Hajek in her defense. The evaluation for criminal responsibility centers on Janish's mental state at the time of the alleged offense.

Hall was 14 years old when she went missing Sept. 22, 1998. Her body has never been found. Her last known location in the Flint area was a pay phone near the White Horse Tavern where she made a call to a friend about a fight between her and Janish.

Court records show Janish raised her granddaughter after a Genesee County Probate judge found Hall's mother, Sharon A. Jones, unable to care for her daughter. Jones died of a drug overdose on Dec. 23, 1996 -- two years before Hall disappeared.

Janish has told different accounts of what happened to Hall since the girl's disappearance, according to police. One version involved Hall moving down South to live while another involved Hall fleeing to California with an older man, police said. Janish allegedly even said that Hall was found raped and stabbed to death in California, according to police.

Police said Janish went through polygraph examinations administered by the Genesee County Sheriff's Department in July 2011 and August 2012, in which Janish allegedly admitted that Hall was dead.

Janish allegedly wrote a letter apologizing for dumping Hall's body and agreed to help authorities search for Hall's remains, according to police. Three searches were conducted but no remains were found.

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said the searches were conducted around the Ann Arbor Street home Janish lived in at the time of Hall's disappearance.

Police said Janish admitted that she and her boyfriend dismembered Hall and that she visited her granddaughter's grave three to four times. However, Janish allegedly recanted her story after hiring an attorney and told investigators that she made up the information.

Janish is scheduled to return to court May 12 to review the results of the independent evaluation.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Attorney Wants Lois Janish's Confession Tossed

Post by NiteSpinR on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:02 am

August 07, 2014

The attorney for a Flint grandmother accused of killing her 14-year-old granddaughter, Coral Hall, in 1998 is asking a judge to dismiss the murder charge against her client. She claims there is no proof the woman had anything to do with the girl's disappearance.

The motion was filed by attorney Jessica Mainprize-Hajek, who represents 74-year-old Lois Janish. Mainprize-Hajek could not be reached for comment on the case.

Janish is facing a single count of open murder after prosecutors claim she killed her granddaughter, Coral Hall. Janish was charged in August 2013 with Hall's death in 1998.

Hall wasn't heard from again after disappearing from the Flint area in September 1998. Her body has never been found.

Mainprize-Hajek argues that statements Janish made to investigators, including confessions that she killed Hall, should not be allowed into the case since prosecutors have no proof that Janish had anything to do with the girl's disappearance.

State law prohibits a defendant's confession from being admitted into a criminal case unless there is evidence establishing that a crime has taken place and that it was committed by a person's criminal activity, according to Lisa Halushka, an assistant dean and professor with Thomas M. Cooley Law School.

Case law allows prosecutors to establish that a death has occurred if evidence shows the victim suddenly disappeared and is neither heard from nor seen again. However, Mainprize-Hajek argues that courts have held that prosecutors must also show that criminal activity was involved in the death.

Mainprize-Hajek claims that prosecutors have no evidence -- outside of Janish's statements -- to connect her or anyone else to Hall's disappearance and death.

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton declined to comment on the case, but said his office would submit a brief on the issue to Genesee Circuit Judge Joseph J. Farah.

Hall was 14 years old when she went missing Sept. 22, 1998. Her last known location in the Flint area was a pay phone near the White Horse Tavern, where she made a call to a friend about a fight between her and Janish.

Halushka said prosecutors can rely on either direct or circumstantial evidence to prove that Hall's disappearance and death was as a result of criminal activity.

The defense claims that over the span of three years, Janish has given 14 different accounts of Hall's disappearance, including giving various confessions, according to court records.

Janish has told different accounts of what happened to Hall since the girl's disappearance, according to police. She allegedly told investigators she killed the girl with a hammer then dismembered her body before scattering her remains -- a story that Janish eventually recanted.

One version involved Hall moving down South to live, while another involved Hall fleeing to California with an older man, police said. Janish allegedly even said that Hall was found raped and stabbed to death in California, according to police.

Both sides were ordered following an evidentiary hearing to submit briefs on the issue to Farah, who will determine if he will hear oral arguments on whether the statements should be allowed in the case.

"It allows for a lot of discretion on the part of the trial judge," Halushka said of the motion.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:04 am

BS IMHO 

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Thank you RAINE for all you ARE!! I will ALWAYS hold you in my Heart!!
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Normal Judge Declares Missing Coral Hall Dead And Grandmother Lois Janish Can Stand Trial For Alleged Killing

Post by NiteSpinR on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:22 pm

January 20, 2015

A judge has ruled a Flint girl who disappeared in 1998 is dead, and her grandmother can stand trial for the alleged killing.

Genesee Circuit Judge Joseph J. Farah ruled Friday, Jan 16, that statements Lois Janish gave to authorities about the disappearance of her 14-year-old granddaughter, Coral Hall, can be used by prosecutors and the murder case against her can move forward.

Janish, 75, is facing a single count of open murder after prosecutors claim she killed Hall. Janish was charged in August 2013 with Hall's death after the girl disappeared in 1998.

Hall's body has never been found.

Attorney Jessica Mainprize-Hajek, who represents Janish, asked Farah to dismiss the statements her client made to police following Hall's disappearance and dismiss the murder case against her.

Mainprize-Hajek argued that statements Janish made to investigators, including confessions that she killed Hall, should not be allowed into the case since prosecutors have no proof that Janish had anything to do with the girl's disappearance.

Janish's confessions and testimony from witnesses who described an abusive relationship between Hall, Janish and Janish's boyfriend, Bruce Strait, are the main evidence linking Janish to her granddaughter's disappearance.

However, Farah ruled there is enough evidence outside of Janish's confessions to conclude that Hall is dead, that she died through criminal means and that Janish's confessions can be introduced at trial.

State law prohibits a defendant's confession from being admitted into a criminal case unless there is evidence establishing that a crime has taken place and that it was committed by a person's criminal activity, according to Lisa Halushka, an assistant dean and professor with Thomas M. Cooley Law School.

Case law allows prosecutors to establish that a death has occurred if evidence shows the victim suddenly disappeared and is neither heard from nor seen again. However, Mainprize-Hajek argued that courts have held that prosecutors must also show that criminal activity was involved in the death.

"The rule's purpose is to prevent conviction where no crime exists, not to erect legal impediments to the prosecution of crimes that do exist," Farah wrote in his ruling.

Farah ruled Hall is dead after multiple friends and associates of Hall testified that they abruptly stopped hearing from the girl in 1998. They also testified they have never heard from her since.

A Michigan State Police intelligence analyst also testified that searches of multiple databases failed to show any indication that Hall is still alive. Since her disappearance, Hall has never sought a driver's license, used her Social Security number, given birth to a child, received state aid, applied for credit, bought a home or rented an apartment, according to the ruling.

"Coral may have been kidnapped and may be being held incommunicado by captors in some distance and secretive place," Farah wrote in his ruling. "This may explain her lack of communication and her ability to disappear without a trace. In short, she may be alive. But the preponderance of the evidence standard does not require elimination of all possible explanations contrary to the People's."

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said the decision was well-reasoned and is based on current legal precedent.

"I anticipate the defense will appeal," Leyton said. "Nevertheless, it helps move the case along so we can achieve justice for Coral, her family and friends."

Mainprize-Hajek could not be reached for comment on the ruling.

Hall was 14 years old when she went missing Sept. 22, 1998. Her last known location in the Flint area was a pay phone where she made a call to a friend about a fight between her and Janish. A friend had taken her to Child Protective Services just prior to her disappearance, but was compelled to return Hall back to her grandmother, according to court records.

The defense claims that over the span of three years, Janish has given 14 different accounts of Hall's disappearance, including giving various confessions, according to court records.

Janish has told different accounts of what happened to Hall since the girl's disappearance, according to police. She allegedly told investigators she killed the girl with a hammer then dismembered her body before scattering her remains -- a story that Janish eventually recanted.

One version involved Hall moving down South to live, while another involved Hall fleeing to California with an older man, police said. Janish allegedly even said that Hall was found stabbed to death in California, according to police.

Janish also allegedly told authorities in 2011 that her boyfriend, who is now dead, killed Coral after she refused to have sex with him.

Janish is due back in court Feb. 10. She faces the possibility of life in prison without parole if convicted.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Updated crying crying crying

Nine-tenths of wisdom is appreciation. Go find somebody’s hand and squeeze it, while there’s time.
-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:10 am

Poor soul lived and died a tragic life.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:28 am

Horrific and extremely difficult to read! It\\'s Not Fair It\\'s Not Fair It\\'s Not Fair

-- Dale Dauten--

Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Normal Police Offer Reward To Find The Body Of Missing Coral Hall

Post by NiteSpinR on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:46 pm

2/4/15

FLINT, MI -- Police are making one last attempt to find the body of Coral Hall, a Flint girl who disappeared in 1998. Her grandmother is facing a murder charge in her disappearance.

"No one has seen or heard from Coral" since she has been missing, said Julie Lopez of Crime Stoppers of Michigan. "The Flint Police Department ... has made several searches with negative results."

Investigators and friends said in a news conference Wednesday, Feb. 4, that they hope an increased reward of up to $2,500 will bring new information that will lead them to Hall, who is presumed dead.

"We miss her very much," said Melissa Jackson, a childhood friend of Hall. "She was like a sister ... a great person. I still remember her laugh."

Hall would have been 30 Wednesday, but police say her grandmother, Lois Janish, confessed to killing the girl with a hammer before dismembering her body and scattering her remains -- a story that Janish later recanted.

Janish also allegedly told authorities in 2011 that her boyfriend, who is now dead, killed Hall after she refused to have sex with him.

Just last month, Genesee Circuit Judge Joseph J. Farah ruled that statements Janish gave to authorities can be used by prosecutors and that the murder case against her can move forward.

The 75-year-old is facing a single count of open murder, a charge filed in August 2013, but prosecutors don't have the victim's body as evidence in the case.

Attorney Jessica Mainprize-Hajek, who represents Janish, has argued that statements Janish made to investigators, including confessions that she killed Hall, should not be allowed into the case because prosecutors have no proof that Janish had anything to do with her granddaughter's disappearance.

The defense has claimed that over the span of three years, Janish has given 14 different accounts of Hall's disappearance, including various confessions, according to court records.

Flint Police Sgt. Greg Hosmer, a cold case investigator, has said he believes others have information about what happened to Hall but have not come forward.

Investigators have said they believe Hall was killed and her body hidden because she never again contacted friends or family, never used her Social Security number and never surfaced, despite campaigns by missing persons groups.

Crime Stoppers was involved in the case previously, offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the recovery of Hall's body.

Tanya Boillat, another childhood friend of Hall, asked those with information to come forward and help close the case, once and for all.

Growing up, Boillat said, she, Hall and Jackson dreamed of getting married and remaining friends with families of their own.

Today, Boillat and Jackson said they will settle for knowing the truth.

"We just want to know what happened to her," Jackson said.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Attorney For Lois Janish Claims Her Client Cannot Get A Fair Trial In Flint

Post by NiteSpinR on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:58 pm

June 04, 2015

An attorney for a grandmother accused of killing her 14-year-old granddaughter nearly two decades ago, claims her client cannot get a fair trial in Flint.

Attorney Jessica Mainprize-Hajek has filed a motion asking Genesee County Circuit Judge Joseph Farah to move Lois Janish's trial out of Flint due to the extensive media coverage that has surrounded the case.

Janish, 75, is facing a single count of open murder after prosecutors claim she killed her granddaughter, Coral Hall. Janish was charged in August 2013 with Hall's death after the girl disappeared in 1998.

The motion states that the publicity surrounding the case has been so damaging and detrimental that Janish has, in essence, been tried in the media during the course of the case.

Mainprize-Hajek could not be reached for comment on the case.

Farah is scheduled to hear the motion June 8.

Hall was 14 years old when she went missing Sept. 22, 1998. Her last known location in the Flint area was a pay phone where she made a call to a friend about a fight between her and Janish. A friend had taken her to Child Protective Services just prior to her disappearance but was compelled to return Hall to her grandmother, according to court records.

The defense claims that over the span of three years, Janish gave 14 different accounts of Hall's disappearance, including giving various confessions, according to court records.

Janish has told different accounts of what happened to Hall since the girl's disappearance, according to police. She allegedly told investigators she killed the girl with a hammer then dismembered her body before scattering her remains — a story that Janish eventually recanted.

Mainprize-Hajek argued previously that statements Janish made to investigators, including confessions that she killed Hall, should not be allowed into the case since prosecutors have no proof that Janish had anything to do with the girl's disappearance.

However, Farah ruled there was enough evidence outside of Janish's confessions to conclude that Hall is dead, that she died through criminal means and that Janish's confessions can be introduced at trial.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal Lois Arlene Janish Accepts A Plea Agreement

Post by NiteSpinR on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:39 am

9/9/15

Lois Arlene Janish pleaded no contest Wednesday, Sept. 9, to second-degree murder in the death of her granddaughter, Coral Hall.

A no contest plea is not an admission of guilt but is treated as such at sentencing.

Janish, 75, was charged with a single count of open murder after prosecutors claim she killed Hall. Janish was charged in August 2013 with Hall's death after the girl disappeared in 1998.

"Not having found the body, this was a challenging case," Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said. "A second-degree murder plea is a good result."

Janish's attorney, Jessica Mainprize-Hajek, could not immediately be reached for comment.

The plea agreement does not include a sentencing agreement, but Genesee Circuit Judge Joseph Farah agreed with Mainprize-Hajek to consider a sentencing proposal that would allow Janish to be sentenced under the state's manslaughter guidelines.

Manslaughter is punishable by up to 15 years in prison. Second-degree murder is punishable with up to life.

A no contest plea did not require Janish to admit how she killed Hall or where her body is located. Farah used investigative information provided earlier in the case to establish a factual basis.

However, Farah also agreed to consider during sentencing Janish's cooperation if she provides information that leads to the discovery of Hall's body.

Last week, the Michigan Supreme Court declined to hear a challenge from Janish's attorney, forcing the case to proceed toward a trial scheduled to start Thursday, Sept. 10.

Mainprize-Hajek argued that statements Janish made to investigators, including confessions that she killed Hall, should not be allowed into the case since prosecutors have no proof that Janish had anything to do with the girl's disappearance.

Janish's confessions and testimony from witnesses who described an abusive relationship between Hall, Janish and Janish's boyfriend, Bruce Strait, are the main evidence linking Janish to her granddaughter's disappearance.

However, Farah ruled there was enough evidence outside of Janish's confessions to conclude that Hall is dead, that she died through criminal means and that Janish's confessions can be introduced at trial.

Farah ruled Hall was dead after multiple friends and associates of Hall testified that they abruptly stopped hearing from the girl in 1998. They also testified they have never heard from her since.

A Michigan State Police intelligence analyst also testified that searches of multiple databases failed to show any indication that Hall is still alive. Since her disappearance, Hall has never sought a driver's license, used her Social Security number, given birth to a child, received state aid, applied for credit, bought a home or rented an apartment, according to the ruling.

Hall was 14 years old when she went missing Sept. 22, 1998. Her last known location in the Flint area was a pay phone near the White Horse Tavern where she made a call to a friend about a fight between her and Janish. A friend had taken her to Child Protective Services just prior to her disappearance, but was compelled to return Hall back to her grandmother, according to court records.

One version involved Hall moving down South to live, while another involved Hall fleeing to California with an older man, police said. Janish allegedly even said that Hall was found stabbed to death in California, according to police.

Janish also allegedly told authorities in 2011 that her boyfriend, who is now dead, killed Coral after she refused to have sex with him.

Sentencing is set for Nov. 3, 2015

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Normal UPDATE: Lois Janish Sentenced To 9 Years In Prison For Killing Her Granddaughter Coral Hall, Who Vanished in 1998

Post by NiteSpinR on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:15 pm

November 13, 2015

75-year-old Michigan woman was sentenced Friday for the 1998 murder of her granddaughter, officials said.

Lois Janish was silent in court as she was ordered to spend at least nine years in prison for the death of her 14-year-old granddaughter, Coral Hall, the Associated Press reported.

Read: Police: We Have Video Footage of the Person Who Killed Pastor's Pregnant Wife

She pleaded no contest to second-degree murder in September, 17 years after Hall went missing after she used a payphone near a tavern, police said.

Hall used the phone to call a friend, and said she had fought with her grandmother, cops said. She was never heard from again and her remains have never been found.

Read: New York Prison Escapee David Sweat Pleads Guilty to All Charges Related to Break-Out

Janish made several different statements to police about her granddaughter’s whereabouts, and once said she killed Hall with a hammer. She later recanted that story and many others.

Janish will be eligible for parole after nine years, including more than two years spent in jail, the AP wrote.

Judge Joseph Farah reportedly acknowledged that the sentence was below the guidelines, but said it would have been a tough case for prosecutors.

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slys Hunny on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Wow not nearly enough time if you ask me.
Slys Hunny

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteSpinR on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:34 am

I agree, but when you take into account that she's 75 right now, 9 years in prison could very well be a "Life Sentence"

NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum