Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal Analyst Bill Sheaffer on Casey Anthony Case

2 posters

Go down

Legal Analyst Bill Sheaffer on Casey Anthony Case Empty Legal Analyst Bill Sheaffer on Casey Anthony Case

Post by Wrapitup Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:28 am

BREAKING MY FIRST BLOG

Posted in Latest Posts by billsheaffer on November 10, 2009

WFTV legal expert Bill Sheaffer
For everyone that is concerned about and follows the case against Casey Anthony, it was suggested by the WFTV brass that I start a blog to expand on the analysis I do for Eyewitness News. Be forewarned: I am old school and therefore still in a learning mode about this sort of communication. Any comments, criticism or suggestions won’t hurt my feelings….let me have it. I aim to learn.

So, lets talk about our case. Fortunately for Casey Anthony, the tragic events at the Gateway Center in Downtown Orlando on November 6, 2009, overshadowed, temporarily, the most recent release of Casey case evidence. And, shocking and important evidence it is. Let’s look at some of it.

It may be helpful to know that there are certain types of evidence upon which the Prosecution relies for proof of guilt beyond and to the exclusion of any reasonable doubt, the ultimate burden of proof in all criminal cases.

Fundamentally then, direct evidence, or eyewitness testimony, that Casey committed the crime for which she is charged, is one type of evidence. A second type of evidence is circumstantial evidence, which is a well-connected series of circumstances, which, taken in their totality, would establish Casey’s guilt beyond and to the exclusion of every reasonable doubt.

At first blush, many of us might believe that it is direct evidence, or, eyewitness testimony, that is the strongest evidence in the prosecutor’s arsenal. But in reality, it is a well-connected chain of circumstantial evidence which most often, and, particularly in the Casey Anthony case, is the strongest and most likely to convince a jury of her guilt.

A talented criminal defense lawyer can always attack eyewitness testimony in a number of different ways: the witness’s ability to have observed the event and accurately testify to it (how good was his view of the event and his memory of same? Does the witness have a bias, interest or motive for his testimony?) But a well established series of strong circumstantial evidence precludes even the most seasoned criminal trial lawyer from either attacking, refuting or discrediting that evidence, especially given the substantial amount of circumstantial evidence.

Certainly, as of this date, there is strong circumstantial evidence in the case against Casey Anthony, which has been further strengthened by the latest release of interesting forensic evidence. Take, for example, the syringe containing traces of chloroform and the entomological studies revealing the “coffin flies.” This, together with what we already know, i.e. the testimony of George Anthony, father of Casey Anthony/defendant, and grandfather of Caylee Anthony/victim, has a significant connection.

Remember, Mr. Anthony testified that on the very last occasion he saw his granddaughter, Caylee, she was dressed in a particularly-described set of clothing, which clothing was on and about the child’s remains when discovered. Simply put, the clothing worn by the little girl, who was last seen by her grandfather in the company of her mother, Casey, was the very same clothing found on the child’s decomposed body. This is important, in that, coupled with the aforementioned newly-released evidence, it refutes any possible defense allegation that Caylee was killed by a third person and dumped in the woods AFTER the arrest and jailing of her mother, Casey Anthony.

We should all be mindful that in a case of this nature, as evidence is released, there is an ebb and flow of opinion regarding the State of Florida’s ability to prove the case, beyond a reasonable doubt. This will no doubt continue until a jury returns its verdict. But, regardless of the tactics of Casey’s defense team, the case against Casey Anthony is, at this point, a strong, compelling, circumstantial evidence case.

This case will be presented to the jury by the Peoples’ lawyers, talented career prosecutors, Linda Drane Burdick, Jeff Ashton and Frank George. These three lawyers are the voice of little girl Caylee Anthony. The jury will hear her through them.

Tagged with: bill sheaffer, casey, casey anthony, caylee, caylee anthony, wftv

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think this is an excellent idea!!!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Legal Analyst Bill Sheaffer on Casey Anthony Case Empty Re: Legal Analyst Bill Sheaffer on Casey Anthony Case

Post by Guest Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
He is updating his blog all the time. I really am enjoying his blog and his take on things.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Legal Analyst Bill Sheaffer on Casey Anthony Case Empty Re: Legal Analyst Bill Sheaffer on Casey Anthony Case

Post by CritterFan1 Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:37 am

So glad you put this here...he is a sharp cookie.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down