Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dozens of Students Suspended for Facebook Cyberbullying

2 posters

Go down

Dozens of Students Suspended for Facebook Cyberbullying Empty Dozens of Students Suspended for Facebook Cyberbullying

Post by NiteSpinR Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:59 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
by ELISA HAHN / KING 5 News
Posted on January 14, 2010 at 10:39 PM

SEATTLE - More than 20 students at Seattle's McClure Middle School got suspended for joining a club on Facebook. A spokesperson for Seattle Public Schools says the Facebook page targeted one student in what she calls "cyberbullying."

"There is so many ways that kids get bullied in everyday life," said McClure parent Brook George, "and to have a particular student singled out on Facebook, the school needs to get involved."

McClure Middle School quickly responded to this latest case of cyberbullying, suspending 20 to 30 kids for "friending" or becoming "fans" of a Facebook page, maligning one particular student at the school.

"I'd feel crushed and disappointed that friends that go to my school would think of me that way," said 11-year-old Brodie George after hearing about the suspensions.

The school district says the principal discovered the page Tuesday night, spending Wednesday meeting with the students and their parents. She handed down suspensions ranging 2 to 8 days depending on each student's involvement with the page.

At least one parent said she agrees with the discipline.

"I would definitely want something done," said Brooke George, who has two students at McClure. "Even if my child joined something like that, I'd want something done to them to teach them this is not what you do to people."

The district told KING 5 the school will also have student assemblies - sort of a refresher course of why cyberbullying is bad.

The PTSA will also work with parents to teach them how to monitor what their kids are doing online.
NiteSpinR
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Dozens of Students Suspended for Facebook Cyberbullying Empty Re: Dozens of Students Suspended for Facebook Cyberbullying

Post by cherylz Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:18 am

Last year my son, then 14, was cyberbullied. A Hate Group was formed against him. I met w/ the Principle. The boy that started the group was suspended for 1 day, and the students that joined the group...NOTHING was done! Far too lenient IMO. I should print this article out and mail it to him for future reference. It is a big problem. That is why I check my 2 teenagers Facebooks periodically. I don't have to worry about my daughter, but my son tends to be a bit more "wild". He concerns me. Facebook is a real eye opener. Some of those teens...the pics they post w/ sexual inuendos, the nasty comments, etc...It's been a real eye opener. affraid
cherylz
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Dozens of Students Suspended for Facebook Cyberbullying Empty Re: Dozens of Students Suspended for Facebook Cyberbullying

Post by Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:52 am

cherylz I went through this same thing with my Daughter. Back then it was myspace. I joined way back when my Daughter did to keep an eye on her activity. My friends and I chased off many dirty old Men coming on to her. It helped to stay in touch with what Sassy was doing on the internet. So keep it up. jr high and high school are tough ages for kids anyway. Then to be bullied and made fun of can really affect them for years. They say that there is a zero tolerance but from what you said that is not happening in your schools. Yes do send the article and if it continues fight the good fight to make the school hold the kids accountable or better yet their parents.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down