Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noah Torres, wanders away from daycare, and is found alive/ State cites daycare for lack of supervision

2 posters

Go down

Noah Torres, wanders away from daycare, and is found alive/ State cites daycare for lack of supervision Empty Noah Torres, wanders away from daycare, and is found alive/ State cites daycare for lack of supervision

Post by Wrapitup Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:44 pm

by JIM BERGAMO/KVUE News - Austin, Texas

Posted on March 23, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Updated today at 10:24 PM

A toddler wanders out of his daycare and along a busy road. Back in April of last year, inspectors with the Department of Family and Protective Services noted a hole in the fence where the 18 - 24 month old children play. Tutor Time tells us those repairs were made. Still, the child who wandered away on Tuesday was 18 months old, meaning he slipped through the fence in that same designated play area.

Noah Torres has a smile that will win you over in a second. His mom, Rebecca, was all smiles too, but hours earlier she'd been in tears.

"Words cannot describe what it feels like to get a phone call like that," she said.

The phone call came from Tutor Time daycare in Northwest Austin where Noah was enrolled. Torres was told her son, while okay now, had slipped through a fence unnoticed during recess. Passersby were stopped at the traffic light at Parmer and Dallas when they noticed Noah walking along a drainage ditch. The ditch is about 50 yards from the daycare center but only about ten feet from Parmer, a six lane highway with a speed limit of 60 miles an hour.

"You cannot help but go through the what ifs," said Torres, while holding back tears. " I can't help but picture my baby on Parmer and that's going to haunt me for a long time and my husband as well."

John Torres was wrought with emotion as well. His day started when a drill bit when through his hand at work. He was being treated at a hospital when the daycare gave him the news.

"I was getting my stitches in my hand and just that my boy was by the roadway at Parmer," he said, also holding back tears. "It is a scary feeling, I just wanted to get out of the hospital and go hold him in my hands and my arms and be with him."

Rebecca Torres is a third grade teacher and knows that accidents in any school setting can occur.

"Kids fall, kids break bones, but there is absolutely no excuse for an 18 month old baby or any other child to be out wandering the streets," she said.

Amy Hellebuyck, the Marketing Communications Manager for Learning Care Group, Inc. issued this statement on behalf of Tutor Time: "Each and every one of the children in our care is precious to us and as child advocates we take all issues regarding the level of care we provide very seriously. I can assure you that we took appropriate measures with the staff members that were involved."

The Torres' say those appropriate measures were firing the two teachers responsible for Noah and eight other classmates. Rebecca Torres says the director brought Noah back to class, then asked those teachers if they'd done their head count after recess. We're told they said yes.

Please see video here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Parmer is a very, very busy street. This little boy is very lucky he didn't get run over or kidnapped. I would take my child out of that school pronto and hire an attorney. There is NO excuse for this.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Noah Torres, wanders away from daycare, and is found alive/ State cites daycare for lack of supervision Empty Re: Noah Torres, wanders away from daycare, and is found alive/ State cites daycare for lack of supervision

Post by Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:27 am

That daycare center is in big trouble. Wow I can't believe there were not any charge presses. I am going to be following this story looking for charges against the center. I am so glad this little boy was not hurt or kidnapped.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Noah Torres, wanders away from daycare, and is found alive/ State cites daycare for lack of supervision Empty State cites daycare for lack of supervision

Post by Nama Sat May 01, 2010 3:05 am

State investigators say a little boy who escaped from a day care, left through an unlocked gate. Thursday night the state had cited Tutor Time Child Care near Parmer Lane in Williamson County with three different violations all pertaining to supervision issues.
On March 23rd drivers passing by the center on Parmer Lane saw 18 month old Noah Torres walking in a ditch a few feet from traffic. The speed limit on that stretch of road is 60 miles per hour.

Three weeks later, Noah’s father, John still has trouble sleeping.

“You see your baby on the road, next to a road, and cars going by and you wake up sweaty and you are just having those nightmares,” said John.

However, John said he may sleep easier knowing the Department of Family and Protective Services has concluded its investigation and cited Tutor Time.

“That's the next thing that we decide, what sort of corrective action,” said Chris Van Deusen of the Department of Family and Protective Services. “What sort of steps will the center have to take to make sure that something like this doesn't happen again.”

Noah was one of nine children in his class and was reportedly able to get away while under the supervision of two daycare workers.

“From what we can tell, the only way the child could get out was through the gate. So it appeared to us that it just must not have been closed securely,” said Van Deusen.

“If it was a gate, I mean two people, two adult females watching nine children could not see him get out a gate? Even that shows you there wasn't proper supervision being done,” said John Torres.

Tutor Time fired those two daycare workers but the center has been allowed to continue to operate while the investigation took place. That’s something Noah’s parents don’t understand. They said especially considering the state closed down the Hippo Academy in Hutto after the owner was accused of feeding children hot sauce and pepper.
“The situation in Hutto was just accusations,” said John Torres. “It was shut down for 30 days. My son was walking next to a busy road, and could have gotten killed easily.”

The Department of Family and Protective Services expects to decide how to sanction Tutor Time by the end of the month. The family’s lawyer plans to review the investigation and make sure nothing was missed.

The Torres family still hasn’t decided where to put Noah when it comes to daycare. His mom is currently taking care of him.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Noah Torres, wanders away from daycare, and is found alive/ State cites daycare for lack of supervision Empty Re: Noah Torres, wanders away from daycare, and is found alive/ State cites daycare for lack of supervision

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down