Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grandmother of burn victim, Michael Brewer, Speaks Out Recent teen violence prompts community leaders to hold a summit

Go down

Grandmother of burn victim, Michael Brewer, Speaks Out Recent teen violence prompts community leaders to hold a summit Empty Grandmother of burn victim, Michael Brewer, Speaks Out Recent teen violence prompts community leaders to hold a summit

Post by Wrapitup Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm

Updated 4:40 PM EDT, Wed, Mar 31, 2010

South Florida has been in the news a lot lately with shocking acts of teenage violence.

From 15-year-old Michael Brewer getting doused in alcohol and lit on fire by classmates to 15-year-old Josie Ratley being nearly beaten to death on her school campus over a text message. So much so that staff at Memorial Health Care System in Broward County organized a Teen Violence Summit on Wednesday for more than a dozen community organizations that work with youth.

Grandmother of burn victim, Michael Brewer, Speaks Out Recent teen violence prompts community leaders to hold a summit 032310brewer2
Michael is recovering and smiling!! This is soooo good to see!!!

The goal of the summit was to talk about ways to identify troubled teens, report acts of violence and educate parents. Keynote speaker for the event was Maureen "Reenie" Brewer, the grandmother of burn victim Michael Brewer.

15-year-old "Mikey" Brewer was set on fire by his peers in October of 2009. His grandmother highlighted to the group how that act of violence has affected her family members' lives.

"It's been very difficult and it's still very difficult when he comes to you and asks you to rub his back and you feel all the scars on his body," she said. "Mikie's pain has been excruciating."

Brewer says trying to understand why the boys lit her grandson on fire has been challenging.

"I think they purely and simply didn't understand the reprecussions of what they did," she said. "If I could've brought those boys in to see Mikey on day 2, I would have. Nobody would let me do that. Because my first thought was, 'they have to learn a lesson so they can be saved from themselves.'"

In addition to telling Mikey's story, Brewer offered suggestions for addressing violence and bullying in schools and communities.

"Parents need to pay attention to how their kids are feeling and thinking and people need to focus on the family again."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] :cheers:
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down