Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kelly Keegan assaulted his girfriend's infant, Kate Cawvey, leaving her blind. He was found guilty of first-degree assault, & two counts each of 2nd-degree assault & endangering the welfare of a minor. Sentenced to 25 years!!

4 posters

Go down

Kelly Keegan assaulted his girfriend's infant, Kate Cawvey, leaving her blind. He was found guilty of first-degree assault, & two counts each of 2nd-degree assault & endangering the welfare of a minor. Sentenced to 25 years!! Empty Kelly Keegan assaulted his girfriend's infant, Kate Cawvey, leaving her blind. He was found guilty of first-degree assault, & two counts each of 2nd-degree assault & endangering the welfare of a minor. Sentenced to 25 years!!

Post by Wrapitup Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:23 am

Prosecutor: Keegan Left Baby Blind
Story Published: Mar 14, 2012 at 3:02 PM EDT
Story Updated: Mar 14, 2012 at 3:02 PM EDT
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Lawyers in the Keegan assault trial presented the two different scenarios during their opening statements in Jefferson County Court Wednesday.

The 33 year old town of Lyme man faces numerous charges, including several counts of assault, reckless assault on a child, reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.

Keegan allegedly inflicted traumatic brain injury on his girlfriend's 11 month old daughter, Kate Cawvey, at their home on Empie Road near Three Mile Bay on March 18, 2011.

The infant also suffered a fractured arm.

Keegan is also accused of causing friction burns to the baby's ears about three weeks earlier.

In opening statements, Senior Assistant District Attorney Aaron Carr said Cawvey is blind and can't feed herself because of her injuries.

He said pediatricians will testify that the baby had a normal development up until she was hurt.

Carr said testimony will show that baby's mother was at work when Keegan inflicted the injuries.

While Keegan told police the baby fell and hit her head on a golf club, Carr told the jury that "doesn't make sense."

The baby had other injuries including bruises to her chin, back and abdomen, he said.

Defense attorney John Hallett said he would produce evidence showing the child had a history of medical problems.

She "suffered a host - a plethora - of previous conditons," Hallett told the jury.

Keegan is currently free on $25,000 bail.

Last edited by Wrapitup on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Kelly Keegan assaulted his girfriend's infant, Kate Cawvey, leaving her blind. He was found guilty of first-degree assault, & two counts each of 2nd-degree assault & endangering the welfare of a minor. Sentenced to 25 years!! Empty Re: Kelly Keegan assaulted his girfriend's infant, Kate Cawvey, leaving her blind. He was found guilty of first-degree assault, & two counts each of 2nd-degree assault & endangering the welfare of a minor. Sentenced to 25 years!!

Post by Wrapitup Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:26 am

Jury Selection Begins In Baby Abuse Case
Story Published: Mar 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM EDT
Story Updated: Mar 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM EDT

Jury selection began Monday for a town of Lyme man accused of critically injuring his girlfriend's baby.

Kelly Keegan of 28611 Empie Road near Three Mile Bay was arrested last March on charges of first-degree assault and reckless assault of a child.

The infant, identified as Kate Cawvey, was 11 months old at the time of the incident.

According to court documents, the baby suffered traumatic brain injury, violent blunt force trauma, a fractured arm and friction burns to her ears.

The Jefferson County Sheriff's Department said its investigation showed the injuries were the result of child abuse.

7 News reporter last March that Keegan was the boyfriend of the baby's mother, Tayler Cawvey.

Keegan, who was 32 at the time, is not the infant's father, according to the sheriff's department.

Officials said the incident happened at the home Keegan shared with the baby's mother on Empie Road, just outside Three Mile Bay.

Keegan was babysitting the child and a neighbor called 911, officials said.

Seven jurors have been seated so far.

Jury selection will continue Tuesday.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Kelly Keegan assaulted his girfriend's infant, Kate Cawvey, leaving her blind. He was found guilty of first-degree assault, & two counts each of 2nd-degree assault & endangering the welfare of a minor. Sentenced to 25 years!! Empty Re: Kelly Keegan assaulted his girfriend's infant, Kate Cawvey, leaving her blind. He was found guilty of first-degree assault, & two counts each of 2nd-degree assault & endangering the welfare of a minor. Sentenced to 25 years!!

Post by Wrapitup Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:30 am

Note: Don't know how we missed this case. Articles will not be in order.

Beaten baby's condition improves
By DAVID C. SHAMPINE
TIMES STAFF WRITER
SUNDAY, MARCH 27, 2011
The condition of 11-month-old Kate Cawvey, the alleged victim of assault by her mother's boyfriend, has improved from critical to serious at Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, according to Jefferson County Sheriff John P. Burns.

She suffered head trauma and a broken arm at the hands of Kelly James Keegan, 31, of 27378 Washington St., Chaumont, on March 18, the sheriff's department charged Thursday. He is jailed under $25,000 bail in the Metro-Jefferson Public Safety Building on charges of first-degree assault and reckless assault of a child.

Sheriff Burns declined to discuss what prompted the alleged assault.

The child's injuries were suffered at her mother's home, 28611 Empie Road, town of Lyme, while Mr. Keegan was baby-sitting, the sheriff said. Her mother, Tayler E. Cawvey, was not home at the time, he said.

Jordan J. Savage, 20, Three Mile Bay, is the girl's father, and is at the Syracuse hospital with family members.

Two fundraising events have been established to help the family with medical expenses. Tara Leeson, Theresa, said she has ordered bracelets, which she expects to receive in about a week, to sell in her "Pray for Kate" appeal. She said she already has received a large response for her effort.

A separate "Team Kate Rally" is set to run from noon April 10 to 2 the next morning at Pewter Mug, 1313 State St.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:39 am

Chaumont man indicted over infant’s head injuries
FRIDAY, AUGUST 26, 2011

A town of Lyme man has been indicted on allegations that he caused brain injuries to an 11-month-old girl by striking the infant’s head on a hard surface in March.

Kelly J. Keegan, 32, whose last known address was 27378 Washington St., Chaumont, faces first-degree assault and eight other counts, including two counts each of second-degree assault, second-degree reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child, and single counts of reckless assault of a child and third-degree assault.

The charges were contained in a grand jury indictment handed up Thursday in Jefferson County Court.

It is alleged that on March 18, with depraved indifference to human life, he caused serious injury to Kate Cawvey, infant daughter of his girlfriend, Tayler E. Cawvey, by shaking the child or slamming or throwing her so that her head hit a hard surface. The child suffered trauma to her head and bleeding on her brain.

It further is alleged that Mr. Keegan created grave risk of death to the child by causing her head and ears to rub along the floor, resulting in friction burns and scrapes to both ears, causing pain that required medical attention. The alleged actions occurred at a residence on Empie Road in the town of Lyme.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:47 am

What an adorable child!! I came upon this as I have a Google Alert for Baby Kate..in the case where the bio father hid the baby and she has never been found. Anyway, this article popped up.

Yet another case of a too trusting mother allowing a boyfriend to babysit her child! I would bet she hadn't even known him that long!
angry
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:28 am

Opening statements in Chaumont child-assault trial
By BRIAN KELLY
TIMES STAFF WRITER
THURSDAY, MARCH 15, 2012

The defense attorney for a Chaumont man on trial for allegedly seriously injuring an infant girl in his care in March 2011 told Jefferson County Court jurors Wednesday that the injuries could have occurred days or more before they became apparent.

Prosecutors are expected to counter that the then-11-month-old’s injuries were inflicted violently by Kelly J. Keegan in a “non-accidental” event, according to the opening statement of Senior Assistant District Attorney Aaron D. Carr.

Mr. Keegan, 33, is on trial facing counts of first-degree assault, second-degree reckless endangerment and several other charges alleging that on March 18, 2011, he caused serious injury to Kate Cawvey, infant daughter of his girlfriend, Tayler E. Cawvey, by shaking, slamming or throwing the child so that her head hit a hard surface. The child suffered trauma to her head and bleeding on her brain. The actions allegedly occurred at a residence on Empie Road in the town of Lyme.

In his opening statement, Mr. Carr told jurors that the child has been left blind from her injuries and has no control of her arms or legs. She remains on a feeding tube and suffers multiple seizures every day.

Defense attorney John W. Hallett told jurors that he expected they will hear evidence that in the weeks leading up to March 18, 2011, Kate Cawvey had displayed lethargy and had trouble walking, symptoms for which medical care was sought. He suggested that the symptoms happened to entirely manifest while the child was in Mr. Keegan’s care.

“She suffered a host, a plethora, of pre-existing conditions that he had no control over on March 18,” Mr. Hallett said.

Mr. Hallett said the child’s mother, Miss Cawvey, has a history of substance abuse and psychiatric problems, resulting in neglect of the child. He said that under questioning from authorities after the child was injured, “she had not one tear to shed for her daughter.”

Mr. Carr told jurors that they would hear about Miss Cawvey’s alleged parenting flaws but that it will not change who was responsible for inflicting the child’s injuries.

“You’ll hear that the mother was neglectful,” Mr. Carr said. “The neglect on this day was leaving this child in the care of Mr. Keegan.”

Testimony in the trial will resume this morning.

I would like to know where this poor little girl is now. IF it's true her mother was neglectful and on drugs, I would think the State would have taken her and put her in a loving foster home.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by HippyChick2 Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Wrapitup wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What an adorable child!! I came upon this as I have a Google Alert for Baby Kate..in the case where the bio father hid the baby and she has never been found. Anyway, this article popped up.

Yet another case of a too trusting mother allowing a boyfriend to babysit her child! I would bet she hadn't even known him that long!
angry

OMG. What an adorable baby.

And what an absolute PUNK this guy is, hurting a child like he did.

You know how they have sex offender registeries? I think they should have another registry for people who have been involved in hurting a child. A way to look up someone for free to check out their background. People could check out someone before becoming involved with them and BEFORE introducing the other person to their children.

Sadly, some women don't care and wouldn't bother to check a persons background. WAY TOO MUCH dating men and letting the men take care of the kid(s) with no regard for the mens background. Works the same way for women who are abusers too. I am sure a child abuser registry would be HUGE.

I had one boyfriend a couple years before I met my husband. This BF was horrible to my children and had his own 2 children every other weekend (in my house) which was a nightmare twice a month. I soon got rid of him but it took awhile as he would not move out of MY house, I ended up moving instead.
My kids couldn't stand him and I never left the house and had him in charge of my kids.

And as far as this mother never shedding a tear for her daughter, if it were me I would be sitting in jail for assaulting the guy who did this to my kid.

soap box and MOO
HippyChick2
HippyChick2

http://www.abbiespot.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:34 am

Second mistrial motion denied in alleged Three Mile Bay infant assault case
By BRIAN KELLY
TIMES STAFF WRITER
SATURDAY, MARCH 17, 2012

A second defense motion for a mistrial in Jefferson County Court was denied Friday in the case of a Chaumont man alleged to have severely injured an 11-month-old girl in March 2011.

Kelly J. Keegan, 33, is on trial facing allegations that on March 18 in Three Mile Bay he caused serious injury to Kate Cawvey, infant daughter of his girlfriend, Tayler E. Glass, by shaking, slamming or throwing the infant so that her head hit a hard surface. The child suffered trauma to her head and bleeding on her brain. She has been left blind by the injuries and has lost control of her arms and legs.

In court Friday, sheriff’s Deputy Shawn M. Ryan testified, among other things, that Mr. Keegan had told him he dropped Kate in the shower on March 18, with her head hitting a faucet. Defense attorney John W. Hallett objected, arguing that this information was not contained in the deputy’s written account of what Mr. Keegan allegedly had told him and was not included in any other statement by other law enforcement personnel who investigated the incident.

Mr. Hallett further argued that the deputy’s statement contradicted previous testimony in the trial. While others testified that Mr. Keegan allegedly had told them he had, at some point before March 18, dropped the child in the bathtub, no one had said it occurred in connection with the alleged incident in which the child suffered head injuries. Mr. Hallett contended that Deputy Ryan’s testimony, if accurate, represented new evidence that had not been shared with the defense during discovery.

Mr. Hallett made a motion to have a mistrial declared, arguing that the jury had already heard the deputy’s testimony and that even if it were struck from the record, it would be prejudicial to Mr. Keegan. Acting County Judge Donald E. Todd denied the motion, opting instead to give the jury “curative” instructions, informing the jurors that they were to disregard Deputy Ryan’s testimony about statements made regarding the March 18 incident, and telling them it was inconsistent with other testimony.

Senior Assistant District Attorney Aaron D. Carr also agreed to put a stipulation on the record, in the jurors’ presence, that Mr. Keegan never told any member of law enforcement that the child was injured by falling from his arms in a bathtub on March 18.

Judge Todd previously had denied a defense motion for a mistrial during jury selection Tuesday. Mr. Hallett had claimed that a statement made to jurors by Mr. Carr regarding cross-examination of witnesses had shifted the burden of proof of Mr. Keegan’s alleged guilt from the prosecution to the defense. Mr. Carr had countered that he had made similar statements during prior jury selections without objection from opposing counsel or the presiding judge.

Testimony in the trial is set to resume Monday.

Hippy, I agree. There really are no words to describe the outrage many of us feel. This poor, sweet little girl w/go through the rest of her life in pain. She is simply precious. HOW could anyone hurt a child?
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Kelly Keegan assaulted his girfriend's infant, Kate Cawvey, leaving her blind. He was found guilty of first-degree assault, & two counts each of 2nd-degree assault & endangering the welfare of a minor. Sentenced to 25 years!! Empty Chaumont man guilty of all counts in infant assault

Post by Wrapitup Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:29 pm

TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 2012

A Jefferson County Court jury deliberated for less than two hours total Monday and Tuesday before determining that a Chaumont man was responsible for seriously injuring an infant in his care a year ago.

Kelly K. Keegan, 33, was found guilty of the top count of an indictment, first-degree assault, as well as two counts each of second-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child and a single count of reckless assault against a child.

He faces a minimum sentence of five years in state prison and a maximum of 25 years’ imprisonment at sentencing May 8.

The jury, which deliberated for about an hour Monday and less than an hour Tuesday after a six-day trial, ruled that Mr. Keegan was responsible for injuries suffered by 11-month-old Kate Cawvey, daughter of his former girlfriend, Tayler E. Glass, on March 18, 2011, at Mrs. Glass’s home on Empie Road in Three Mile Bay. It had been alleged that Mr. Keegan shook, slammed or threw the child so that she struck her head on a hard surface, causing a brain injury. The child has been left blind by the incident and has no control of her arms or legs.

Defense attorney John W. Hallett had argued that the child had a “pre-existing” condition that only manifested itself while the child was in Mr. Keegan’s care, while Senior Assistant District Attorney Aaron D. Carr countered that the injuries were so severe that it would have been impossible for the injuries to have occurred prior to March 18.

Mr. Keegan was ordered held without bail at the Metro-Jefferson Public Safety Building pending sentence.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Kelly Keegan assaulted his girfriend's infant, Kate Cawvey, leaving her blind. He was found guilty of first-degree assault, & two counts each of 2nd-degree assault & endangering the welfare of a minor. Sentenced to 25 years!! Empty Chaumont man sentenced to 25 years in prison for injuring infant

Post by Wrapitup Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 pm

By BRIAN KELLY
TIMES STAFF WRITER
THURSDAY, JUNE 21, 2012

A Chaumont man who seriously injured an infant in his care in 2011 received the maximum sentence of 25 years in state prison Thursday after a judge in Jefferson County Court refused to set aside his guilty verdict owing to inaccurate trial testimony.

Kelly J. Keegan, 33, also will have to undergo an additional five years of supervision upon his release after being convicted at trial March 20 of first-degree assault, as well as two counts each of second-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child and single counts of reckless assault against a child and third-degree assault.

A jury determined that Mr. Keegan was responsible for injuries suffered by 11-month-old Kate Cawvey, daughter of his former girlfriend, Tayler E. Glass, on March 18, 2011, at Mrs. Glass’s home on Empie Road in Three Mile Bay. It had been alleged that Mr. Keegan shook, slammed or threw the child so that she struck her head on a hard surface, causing a brain injury. The child, now 2, has been left blind by the incident and has no control of her arms or legs.

“Kate’s life has pretty much been taken away from her and she didn’t deserve it,” Mrs. Glass told the court before sentencing.

Senior Assistant District Attorney Aaron D. Carr asked acting County Judge Donald E. Todd to impose the maximum sentence, calling Mr. Keegan’s actions “despicable and evil and brutal.”

“I ask the court to show him what he showed Kate: no mercy,” Mr. Carr said.

Before sentencing, a hearing was held to allow Judge Todd to decide a motion made by Mr. Keegan’s attorney, John W. Hallett, Watertown, to have the verdict set aside and the case remanded for a new trial. Mr. Hallett argued that testimony provided at trial by sheriff’s Deputy Shawn M. Ryan was inaccurate and affected the manner in which Mr. Keegan’s defense was planned. Mr. Ryan had testified that Mr. Keegan had told him he had dropped the child on the day she was injured, although the deputy had not included that information in his case notes and had not previously disclosed the alleged statement.

Further trial testimony showed that Mr. Keegan never made any statement to law enforcement about dropping the child on the day she was injured, although he did give statements indicating he had dropped her a few weeks before the incident. Mr. Hallett contended that several doctors testified that the child’s injuries could not have occurred weeks before March 18, 2011, because they would have been readily apparent, but he claimed that Mr. Ryan’s testimony, if accurate and previously disclosed, could have provided Mr. Keegan a defense that the child’s injuries were accidental.
Mr. Hallett had made a motion for a mistrial after Mr. Ryan testified, but Judge Todd denied it. Mr. Hallett argued Thursday that the judge made an error in not declaring a mistrial, but Mr. Carr countered that the inaccurate testimony did not affect the jury’s decision.

“There was an error made by a deputy, but it was a harmless error when you consider the totality of the evidence in this case,” Mr. Carr said.

At the time of the testimony, Judge Todd gave the jury “curative” instructions, informing the jurors that they were to disregard Deputy Ryan’s testimony about statements made regarding the March 18 incident, and telling them it was inconsistent with other testimony. Prosecutors also agreed to a stipulation included in the trial record conceding that the testimony was inaccurate.

Judge Todd said he “struggled” with the decision of whether the testimony “in the course of an otherwise uneventful trial” affected the jury’s decision, but concluded that his curative instructions were sufficient to remedy any potential prejudice to Mr. Keegan. He then proceeded with sentencing, telling Mr. Keegan “you stole (Kate’s) life.”

“There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the jury got this right, that these injuries were inflicted by you in a heinous manner,” Judge Todd said.

Mr. Hallett said he will appeal the convictions and the sentence to the state Appellate Division, Fourth Department.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:59 am

I hope it doesnt get overturned - this child is the living dead - he should have gotten life in prison.
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down