Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Slidell-area woman fatally stabbed her son's long-term girlfriend this weekend, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office. Joan Faye Hartman, 54, has been jailed on one count of second-degree murder.

2 posters

Go down

A Slidell-area woman fatally stabbed her son's long-term girlfriend this weekend, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office. Joan Faye Hartman, 54, has been jailed on one count of second-degree murder. Empty Re: A Slidell-area woman fatally stabbed her son's long-term girlfriend this weekend, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office. Joan Faye Hartman, 54, has been jailed on one count of second-degree murder.

Post by Wrapitup Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The parish coroner's office identified the slain woman as Tanya Knower, 27. Hartman's son, Richard, 34, told The Times-Picayune he had been with Knower for 11 years, and together they had two daughters, now ages 6 and 9.

Sheriff's spokesman Capt. George Bonnett said deputies responded to a stabbing at a home on Brookter Street just after midnight Sunday, and they encountered Richard Hartman outside the residence. Knower, Richard Hartman and their children were living at the house with Hartman's parents.

Bonnett said Richard Hartman led deputies inside, where Knower was lying on the floor, suffering from stab wounds. Joan Hartman stood over Knower, yelling at her.

Joan Faye Hartman has been jailed on one count of second-degree murder. 'I'm going to have to raise my kids in the house their mother was murdered in,' Hartman said of his daughters, ages 9 and 6.

Deputies administered first aid to Knower until Acadian Ambulance brought her to a hospital for treatment, Bonnett noted. Investigators later learned Knower died from her injuries.

As deputies secured the home, they discovered Joan Hartman's husband as well as the children of Richard Hartman and Tanya Knower asleep in their bedrooms. Joan Hartman was arrested at the scene and taken to the sheriff's complex in Slidell for questioning, during which she admitted to stabbing Knower, Bonnett said.
Joan Hartman remains in the St. Tammany jail without bond. Second-degree murder carries a mandatory life prison sentence upon conviction.

No other details were immediately released about the incident. Sheriff Jack Strain has scheduled a press conference for 2 p.m. to further discuss the case.
On Monday, Richard Hartman said he was in his living room when he heard an argument erupt between his mother and girlfriend in the dining room. He says he broke up the confrontation, and Knower was walking away toward the kitchen when Joan Hartman pulled a steak knife out of the back of her sweatpants.

Slidell mother of two stabbed to death by fiance's mother
Richard Hartman, 34, talks about the Sunday, July 15, 2012, stabbing death of his fiance, Tanya Knower, 27, at their home near Slidell. Hartman's mother, Joan Faye Hartman, 54, fatally stabbed Tanya Knower early Sunday, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office. Joan Faye Hartman has been jailed on one count of second-degree murder. Knower was the mother of Hartman's daughters, ages 6 and 9.

Joan Hartman plunged the blade into Knower's back and abdomen, Richard Hartman recounted. He called 911, applied pressure to Knower's wounds and held her. "I'm just lost right now," Richard Hartman said. "I don't know what to do."

crying
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

A Slidell-area woman fatally stabbed her son's long-term girlfriend this weekend, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office. Joan Faye Hartman, 54, has been jailed on one count of second-degree murder. Empty Re: A Slidell-area woman fatally stabbed her son's long-term girlfriend this weekend, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office. Joan Faye Hartman, 54, has been jailed on one count of second-degree murder.

Post by Wrapitup Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 10:23 am | Updated: 5:37 pm, Tue Jul 17, 2012.

By David Freese St. Tammany News

It was a case of female-household dominance, said Richard Hartman, who saw his mother murder her son’s girlfriend and the mother of Hartman’s two children in their family’s living room at a home off Brookter Road in south Slidell.

Tanya Knower was 27 years old when she died Sunday morning at the hands of her boyfriend’s mother, 54-year-old Joan Faye Hartman.

The St. Tammany Parish Coroner Peter R. Galvan has classified the death as a homicide. He said Knower was stabbed twice, once in the back and once in the abdomen.

“It just happened so fast,” said Richard Hartman. “The only thing going through my mind was, ‘she’s dead.’ She looked at me, took a big gasp of air, and then her eyes went blank.”

According to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office, Joan Hartman admitted that both she and her son’s girlfriend of 11 years did not get along.

“For some reason it escalated to the point of murder,” said St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Jack Strain. “In her confession, Miss Hartman made it no secret that she disagreed with the way (Knower) treated the kids.”
Scrolling back to Sunday morning investigators say the murderer, Joan Hartman, and the victim, Knower, were in the living room of a Kingspoint-area home, 219 Brookter Road, when a violent argument broke out.

Strain said at a press conference Monday that they believed Knower at one point said she was going to move out of the Kingspoint home and take Joan Hartman’s grandchildren with her. That was just too much for Joan Hartman to bear, Strain noted.

Meanwhile, Richard Hartman, 34, was in another room and overheard the commotion.

“They were arguing about something, you know. I was watching TV and I heard a bunch of thumping around. It sounded like fighting so I came in here, separated them, turned around and my mom pulled a steak knife out her back,” Richard Hartman recalled.

“Tanya fell right here,” said a broken down Hartman as he clinched a photo of his longtime girlfriend he calls his “fiancé of 11 years,” and their two children Ashlynne and Brittney Knower, 6 and 9 years old.

Once Knower received the first stab wound, which authorities deemed fatal, she fell to the floor. Richard Hartman then checked her pulse and dialed 9-1-1. Before he knew it, he said, his mother was raising the steak knife once again. Knower was stabbed a second time.

In between the first and second blow, deputies were dispatched to the home. When they got there they encountered Richard Hartman outside the home. The frantic boyfriend then led deputies inside where Joan Hartman was standing over Knower’s corpse cursing and screaming, “die, die, I hope you die!”

Police attempted to revive Knower until Acadian Ambulance arrived on the scene as she lay in a pool of blood on the living room floor.

Deputies say that Knower’s two children and Joan Hartman’s husband were all asleep in the home when the murder took place.

Knower was transported to Ochsner-Northshore Medical Center in Slidell, where she died the same day.

St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office spokesman George Bonnett said his agency immediately arrested Joan Hartman, charged her with second-degree murder and brought her to the Sheriff’s Slidell complex for questioning.

Not only did Joan Hartman admit to stabbing Knower, Strain said they have evidence the woman bought the knife used in the murder with the intention of using it on Knower.

But whether it was planned for self-defense or murder, investigators aren’t sure.

Strain also said not only would the purchase of the knife play a role in the case when it reached the judicial system, but also Joan Hartman’s previous sometimes-violent history, which included a suicide attempt and several breakdowns where she resisted officers.

As of Monday, Joan Hartman was being held in the St. Tammany Parish jail, in lieu of $250,000 bond. Second-degree murder carries a mandatory life sentence at hard labor without parole, probation or suspension of sentence.

“I love my mother, but she took too much from me. I’ll never have contact with her ever again,” said Richard Hartman of his mother who he also said was bi-polar and had been taking medication for the disease.

Just a day before the stabbing, Richard Hartman said he received a phone call from Delgado stating that his girlfriend, Knower, was accepted into her fourth year of nursing school—her last year until she became a certified registered nurse.

“She was driven. She was very open to everybody,” Richard Hartman said. “She loved to draw. She’s one of the best artist you’ve ever seen and most of all she loved to take care of the girls.”

He said that he’d met Knower during a double date with a friend. Richard Hartman said both he and the friend weren’t enjoying their date’s company and decided to swap. He’d been seeing Knower ever since.

“I’ve had other girlfriends but nobody stood behind me like her and helped me out like she did,” said Richard Hartman. “She helped me get my life together. Even when she was mad at me she was smiling. She made me whole.”

Now Richard Hartman says he’ll have to raise his two children, one of which has autism, in the home where their mother was murdered. He says he has let them know their mother has passed but spared them the horrible details.

Richard Hartman had a few last words he wanted to share with his love, Tanya Knower.

“Tell (Tanya) I love her,” Richard Hartman said. “I am going to take care of the girls, do the best I can and never forget about her.”

This week, Richard Hartman says he’ll be planning his youngest daughter’s birthday party…and a funeral.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

A Slidell-area woman fatally stabbed her son's long-term girlfriend this weekend, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office. Joan Faye Hartman, 54, has been jailed on one count of second-degree murder. Empty Slidell-area woman pleads not guilty in stabbing death of son's girlfriend

Post by raine1953 Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:53 pm

November 27, 2012
A Slidell-area woman accused of fatally stabbing her son's girlfriend in July pleaded not guilty Tuesday to a second-degree murder charge. Joan Faye Hartman, 54, must return to court in January for trial.

Prior to her plea, defense attorney Benjamin Sanders presented statements from two doctors to Judge Richard A. "Rick" Swartz which said Hartman was competent to stand trial. Assistant District Attorney Jason Cuccia did not object to the doctors' reviews.

Hartman, who appeared in court in a striped gray jail jumpsuit, was indicted Nov. 8 in connection with the July 15 stabbing death of 27-year-old Tanya Knower. St. Tammany Sheriff's Office Capt. George Bonnett said at the time that deputies who arrived at their home near Slidell found Knower lying on the floor, bleeding from stab wounds. Hartman stood over Knower, yelling at her, he said.
A Slidell-area woman fatally stabbed her son's long-term girlfriend this weekend, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office. Joan Faye Hartman, 54, has been jailed on one count of second-degree murder. 11308722-small
Joan Faye Hartman, 54
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down