Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~

+5
raine1953
Wrapitup
CritterFan1
mommyof3kids
Cory
9 posters

Go down

Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~ Empty Re: Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~

Post by Cory Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:39 pm

Oh my........They found the body of Brooke Wilberger. She went missing in 2004. Joel Courtney is in jail for her murder. crying

Prayers to Brooke's family please?
Cory
Cory

Back to top Go down

Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~ Empty Re: Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:43 pm

Will do cory. I am looking up the case right now. Thanks for letting us know.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~ Empty Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:00 pm

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The remains of a 19-year-old student who disappeared more than five years ago have been found, and the man charged in her death pleaded guilty Monday. Brooke Wilberger vanished in May 2004 while she was working for her sister outside an apartment complex near Oregon State University in Corvallis.

Prosecutors charged 42-year-old Joel Patrick Courtney with aggravated murder, even though Wilberger's body had not been found.

On Monday, the Benton County District Attorney's Office said Courtney agreed to plead guilty and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole in exchange for providing information about where Wilberger's body was located.

It was not immediately clear where her body was found.

Court documents released last year revealed details showing that Courtney was in Corvallis when Wilberger disappeared and that the green van he was driving was spotted by several people, including an OSU employee who identified him from a photo lineup. Officials said that Wilberger's DNA was found inside the van.

There were also blond hairs in a hair tie inside a personal duffel bag that Courtney carried. Courtney was extradited from New Mexico to Oregon in April 2008 following his conviction in 2007 in New Mexico for the unrelated sexual assault and kidnapping of a foreign exchange student at the University of New Mexico.

He was sentenced to 18 years for that crime, which was remarkably similar to the Wilberger disappearance - a young blonde woman with blue eyes abducted near a college campus.

Courtney was staying with his wife's parents in Portland when Wilberger vanished. They told detectives that he left their home early the morning of her disappearance and did not return until late the following night.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/60012357.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:06 pm

CORVALLIS, Ore. -- The man accused of abducting and murdering a Venteta, Ore., woman in 2004 has pleaded guilty in a deal that led police to the woman's remains and will put the man behind bars for the rest of his life.

Brooke Wilberger disappeared May 24, 2004, from Corvallis.

On Monday, Joel Patrick Courtney pleaded guilty to aggravated murder and was sentenced to prison for life without the possibility of release for the 19-year-old Bringham Young University student's death. The deal spares Courtney from the death penalty.

Prosecutors had charged 42-year-old Joel Patrick Courtney with aggravated murder, even though Wilberger's body had not been found.

On Monday, the Benton County District Attorney's Office said Courtney agreed to plead guilty and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole in exchange for providing information about where Wilberger's body was located.

It was not immediately clear where her body was found.

Court documents released last year revealed details showing that Courtney was in Corvallis when Wilberger disappeared and that the green van he was driving was spotted by several people, including an OSU employee who identified him from a photo lineup.

Officials said that Wilberger's DNA was found inside the van. There were also blond hairs in a hair tie inside a personal duffel bag that Courtney carried.

Courtney was extradited from New Mexico to Oregon in April 2008 following his conviction in 2007 in New Mexico for the unrelated sexual assault and kidnapping of a foreign exchange student at the University of New Mexico.

He was sentenced to 18 years for that crime, which was remarkably similar to the Wilberger disappearance - a young blonde woman with blue eyes abducted near a college campus.

Courtney was staying with his wife's parents in Portland when Wilberger vanished.

They told detectives that he left their home early the morning of her disappearance and did not return until late the following night
Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~ Courtn10
Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~ Images12
Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~ Images13http://www.kval.com/news/60012167.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:31 pm

by Cory Today at 1:39 pm

Oh my........They found the body of Brooke Wilberger. She went missing in 2004. Joel Courtney is in jail for her murder.

Prayers to Brooke's family please?

OMG, they did?? How sad and what a sad day for her parents. They have been looking for their daughters remains for so long now! My heart definitely goes out to them today. crying :littleangel:
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Finally her family will have her back with them, where she has belonged for 5 long years.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:34 pm

How horrific!!!!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:41 pm

What a beautiful girl she was!! At least her parents will now have some closure!! crying
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cory Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:47 pm

It must be bitter-sweet for the Wilbergers. At least they can FINALLY put Brooke to rest properly.
I'm sitting here with her picture hanging next to my computer - it's been there for a very long time. Such a beautiful girl. crying Rest in Peace Brooke. :littleangel:
Cory
Cory

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:52 pm

Cory, did you know her? Did she live close to you?

Linda Marie has started a thread in the lounge.

crying
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cory Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:45 pm

No Wrap I didn't know Brooke personally....although when you follow these cases for a time, you feel like you knew them. I remember when she went missing. She had been missing for about a month when I had the vigil in 04. I remember starting the vigil out with a prayer for Brooke and her family. Corvallis (where she disappeared from) is about 180 miles from here. As for her picture I have hanging here.....I got
a "findbrook.com" wristband and the picture was with it. I hung it up when I got it and have never taken it down. She really is beautiful isn't she? Sad.

K....I'll check out the lounge!!!
Cory
Cory

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:47 pm

It breaks your heart for everyone that loved this beautiful young lady. Such a sad ending but at least she will be back with her loved ones.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:54 pm

I was curious as to what woods they found her in? When I was watching the news last night they mentioned that he took her to the woods, sexually assaulted her, then hung out there that night doing drugs then took her back into town the next day for some reason, then brought her back to the woods, assaulted her again, then he killed her crying
I can't even begin to imagine the fear she had! She was such a you beautiful smart young lady that was taken from this world WAY too early and by a man who is pure evil! :evil:
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:56 pm

I am missing all the news on this young woman. How do they know he took her to the woods, sexually assaulted her, then hung out there that night doing drugs then took her back into town the next day for some reason, then brought her back to the woods assaulted her again, then he killed her?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:26 pm

here is a link to the press release on the details of what he did to her :(

http://www.kgw.com/video/index.html?nvid=400499

OK, found out that he left her duct taped in the woods and HE went back into town to get something to eat. He didn't bring her into town with him.. so horrible!! :pale:

Last edited by mommyof3kids on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:30 pm

here is a video of Brooks Mother.. Man she seems sooo strong!

http://www.kgw.com/video/raw-index.html?nvid=400497
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Two governors enabled plea deal to close Wilberger case

SANTA FE – Joel Courtney will not face a death penalty trial. He will die behind bars in either New Mexico or Oregon. The Wilberger family now has the remains of their murdered daughter.

It was ultimately an "Executive Agreement" between Gov. Bill Richardson and Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski that allowed the five-year-old case to end in this manner for the 2004 murder of Brooke Wilberger at the hands of Joel Patrick Courtney.

The agreement, which was negotiated by the Benton County District Attorney and had the support of the Wilberger family. With directions from Courtney, her remains were located and positively identified over the weekend.

Courtney has already been returned to New Mexico to serve the remainder of his 18-year prison sentence for an unrelated kidnapping and rape of a University of New Mexico student in 2004. Following the New Mexico sentence, Courtney will return to Oregon to serve his sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_092209_news_courtney_executive_agreement.1a60d8370.html
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:55 pm

mommyof3kids wrote:here is a video of Brooks Mother.. Man she seems sooo strong!

http://www.kgw.com/video/raw-index.html?nvid=400497
Where does she get her inner strength. She is something, an inspiration.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:11 pm

BTW I knew I wasn't crazy when I heard that he did in fact have her tied up in his van when he came back into town to eat before taking her back out to the woods and murdering her.

"Courtney approached Wilberger, trying to make it appear he was delivering an envelope, then threatened her with a knife and forced her into the van, Haroldson said.

Courtney bound her with duct tape and drove into the remote Coast Range but returned to Corvallis when he got hungry, with Wilberger in his van."

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009909220322
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:22 pm

This whole story is like a nightmare. That poor girl. May she RIP and her family find some peace knowing she is in heaven.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Obviously 18 years was not long enough to lock this guy away after his first conviction. He should have been locked away for life. We would not be mourning the loss of an innocent victim if he were still behind bars! If he had a brand on his forehead...SO for sex offender, maybe she would have stepped away from him and his envelope. IMO a sex offender should lose all rights to privacy, forever.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:50 pm

I am looking at this beautiful young lady flying on our home page.

Last edited by lindamarie on Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:55 pm

You are so wonderful LM!! Man, I look at her beautiful face and think about how much her family must miss her sooooooo much and especially through the Holiday season!!! My heart goes out to her family, as well as all the other victims families we all discuss on here!!! God Bless you all!!! Couple Hugging
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:40 am

I just watched "Dateline" this evening, and they had they had a two hour special on Brooke Wilberger, and how they found her killer. Wow! Really amazing how it all just "happened" - I can't help but see how God finally brought this monster to justice. It's such a sad yet happy time for her family - sad that she is not alive, and yet happy that her killer has been brought to justice. I pray for continued healing & peace in their lives~

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:44 am

I also saw Dateline tonight and it really was amazing how everything just seemed to come together to find her killer and then to finally get her killer to talk about what he did to her and to give the location of her body. What an animal that man is. At least her family finally knows the truth and were able to bring their daughter/sister home.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:52 am

I agree! It was also amazing to see his transformation from a smiling, good-looking "family man" to a scowling, unattractive, pudgy inmate!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:02 am

OMG, I totally agree Rainbow! He really did look like a happy family man in those pictures w/ the wife and kids and good looking. By the time the trails came about he sure was an unhappy looking creepy thing. Amazing!
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:12 am

And, thank God for that kind woman in Albuquerque who allow that victim to get in her car and help her. Can you imagine? She escaped and was running down the street naked. Most people would have driven by.

And, kudo's to Gov. Bill Richardson and the Albuq. Police Dept. for going that extra mile! :cheers:
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 am

I agree, Wrap! If it hadn't been for that woman helping that naked girl, the girl would most likely have been murdered. And... they would never have caught Courtney! He really had quite the ego, didn't he? I don't think he thought that he would ever get caught!!

Last edited by Rainbow on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~ Empty Quite a transformation

Post by Nama Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:26 am

Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~ Images10-1Brooke Wilberger remains located~thanks Cory~ Images12
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:28 am

BJ, thanks for those pics! I was looking for some from his younger years, but couldn't find any. you rock
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:50 am

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:26 am

Thanks for the video, Wrap! I really admire Brooke's mother - such an example of dignity & grace. One thing that scares me is that this killer (Courtney) was raised in a "good" home (according to his sister), and was a "family" man. He didn't seem like the kind of guy to become a killer! You just never know, I guess. 🇳🇴
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:54 am

Something triggered him, but like the prosecutor in Albuquerque said, "You just don't start grabbing women off the street at age 40." He has probably gotten away with several other rapes in NM & FL. He seems to hop around like Ted Bundy use to do. That is another one that you would have never in a million years figure to be a serial killer.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Slys Hunny Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:35 am

I watched Dateline too. My biggest feeling was what a wonderful woman her mother is!! She has a beautiful smile. Im so glad she can use it! What CLASS!!
Slys Hunny
Slys Hunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:48 am

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

I watched Dateline last night as well.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:50 pm

:thanks: LM, for the above post!!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Rainbow wrote:Thanks for the video, Wrap! I really admire Brooke's mother - such an example of dignity & grace. One thing that scares me is that this killer (Courtney) was raised in a "good" home (according to his sister), and was a "family" man. He didn't seem like the kind of guy to become a killer! You just never know, I guess. 🇳🇴
No kidding. You always hear killers lamenting their terrible abusive childhood, they use a terrible home life as the reason they turned to murder. Makes you wonder what twisted him into the person that he became.
Thanks for the pictures.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 pm

I wonder if he was spoiled? I think he was the only boy, and looked very cute when he was younger. I also wonder what his father was like - maybe he had some sexual perversion that he kept hidden. It sometimes ends up coming out in their kids!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Wrapitup wrote:Something triggered him, but like the prosecutor in Albuquerque said, "You just don't start grabbing women off the street at age 40." He has probably gotten away with several other rapes in NM & FL. He seems to hop around like Ted Bundy use to do. That is another one that you would have never in a million years figure to be a serial killer.

I heard someone on the Dateline show compare him to Ted Bundy, so last night I googled info on Ted Bundy. I had always heard that he was raised in a "perfect" Christian home. But, I was surprised to learn that he was born in a home for unwed mothers (some think that his father may have actually been his grandfather!), and then his mom eventually married some other man (John Bundy, I think). Anyways, it sounds like there were a lot of warning signs with Ted, that someone should have been paying attention to! Here is more info on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Bundy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Rainbow wrote:I wonder if he was spoiled? I think he was the only boy, and looked very cute when he was younger. I also wonder what his father was like - maybe he had some sexual perversion that he kept hidden. It sometimes ends up coming out in their kids!
Wonder if he was their Golden Boy? Like the very spoiled rotten Scott Peterson. head bang huge waste butterfly butterfly R.I.P. Brooke. She would be proud of her family, a real class act.
This guy sort of reminds me of Mark Hacking with the shape of his bald head.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel belle Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:37 am

I saw the dateline show recently - had it stashed away in my dvr, but it was very touching.

rebel belle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:47 am

welcome2 rebel belle
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel belle Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Thank you lindamarie

rebel belle

Back to top Go down

Post by ctee1 Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:31 am

I watched a show on this beauty queen. That SOB should be infront of the firing squad..

ctee1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down