Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

‘Predator’ Gary Rogers, Repeatedly Had Access To Children

2 posters

Go down

‘Predator’ Gary Rogers, Repeatedly Had Access To Children Empty ‘Predator’ Gary Rogers, Repeatedly Had Access To Children

Post by NiteSpinR Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
5:30 pm EDT June 30, 2010

KINGS MOUNTAIN, N.C. -- Detectives called a man accused of raping an 8-year-old girl a predator, saying that he waited for an opportunity to take advantage of children.

Gary Rogers, 38, appeared before a judge Wednesday. He was arrested Tuesday in Grover and is charged with first-degree rape of a child and indecent liberties with a child.

Neighbors of Rogers, who lives in Kings Mountain, said they were suspicious of him.

Joseph Mergott said he has seen Rogers hiding around his yard, watching his young daughters play.

“I hope they keep him behind bars as long as they possibly can,” Mergott said. “I have literally had to run him off. My brother-in-law, he has had to run him off from hiding around the house.”

Patricia Swink said she once saw Rogers hanging around when her granddaughters were outside.

“He would stand over there and walk up and down the fence and he would watch them,” Swink said.

Other than that incident, though, Swink said she had considered him to be a good neighbor.

“He's fairly decent,” she said.

Detectives said other neighbors felt similarly and trusted Rogers around their children.

Detective T.O. Curry, from the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office, said Rogers was arrested and charged after an adult walked into a room Tuesday and found Rogers doing inappropriate things with the 8-year-old girl.

Curry said Rogers was a friend of the victim’s family. The child was not in Rogers’ sole care, Curry said, but they were alone in a room until the witness walked in. The alleged crime happened at the girl’s home, Curry said.

“When you are dealing with a very young person, they can be manipulated very easily so the perpetrator would feel a lot more comfortable, even if people are still in the home,” Curry said.

Curry said he was called to talk to Rogers one-on-one.

“I, after speaking with him, I would certainly consider him a predator,” he said. “I think he had repeatedly got himself in situations when he would have access to children.”

Curry said Rogers relied on trusting parents to get access to children, adding that he thinks there may be more victims who have not yet come forward.

“This victim has disclosed that this has happened other times,” Curry said. “It’s possible that there will be more victims that we don’t find and victims that we’re able to press charges for.”

Rogers is being held at the Cleveland County Detention Center pending a $150,000 secured bond.
NiteSpinR
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

‘Predator’ Gary Rogers, Repeatedly Had Access To Children Empty Re: ‘Predator’ Gary Rogers, Repeatedly Had Access To Children

Post by Wrapitup Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:55 am

‘Predator' taken off the streets: Kings Mountain man charged with rape of 8-year-old

Wednesday, Jun 30 2010, 3:46 pm
Graham Cawthon

SHELBY – “In my opinion, we’re talking about a predator.”

Detective T.O. Curry says one victim has already come forward and he expects more to do the same regarding Garry Lee Rogers.

Rogers, 38, was arrested Tuesday in Grover and is charged with first degree rape of a child and indecent liberties with a child. Curry said the victim is 8 years old.

“The mother called us immediately after becoming aware of it,” he said. Why in hell would any parent leave their young child alone in a bedroom with someone of the opposite sex??? Is this just me or is this common practice??? OMG!!!!!!!

That was Tuesday.

Curry, of the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office, identified Rogers as a friend of the family. The child was not in Rogers’ sole care, Curry said, but they were alone in a room until a witness walked in.

Having a witness makes the case a rarity.

“Since 2006, I know of two incidents, two arrests that I’ve made” with help from a witness, Curry said. “It’s very uncommon.”

“Compare that to the desk,” he said, looking over dozens of folders pertaining to different investigations. “Those are active cases.”

Rogers has a criminal history in Connecticut, Curry said, but didn’t yet know specifics. Curry said the suspect wasn’t acting as a babysitter but “by his own admission” has watched children in that capacity in the past.

Following an interview with the suspect, Curry was able to charge Rogers with first degree rape. The indecent liberties charge stemmed from the investigation of the act that alerted law enforcement Tuesday.

According to a magistrate’s report, Rogers, of 134 Jim Patterson Road, Kings Mountain, is being held at the Cleveland County Detention Center pending a $150,000 secured bond.

“This victim has disclosed that this has happened other times,” Curry said. “It’s possible that there will be more victims that we don’t find and victims that we’re able to press charges for.”

Curry’s advice to parents and caregivers is to be aware of who their children are around. Any amount of time, no matter how small, could create an opportunity for abuse.

For more information or to make a report, contact Detective Curry at the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office at 704-484-4822.

Video here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down