Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning

2 posters

Go down

17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning Empty 17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning

Post by raine1953 Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:45 pm

ERIE, Pa. -- More than 100 volunteers showed up in Erie, Pa. Tuesday to lend a hand in the ongoing search for 17-year-old Jacob Samusenko, who went missing two weeks ago.

"The family really appreciates the community support. It's tough, very tough, because it's almost like we could make peace with the fact that he might be gone, as difficult as that would be, but we just don't know and that's what makes this so difficult," Lyubov Rafferty, a relative of, and spokesperson for, the Samusenko family told The Huffington Post.

Adrian Ewing, a local resident who was touched by Samusenko's disappearance, helped organize and manage Tuesday's search efforts.

"We covered basically the entire Eastern portion of the City of Erie," Ewing told HuffPost. "The next step is to try to get some dog teams out here."

According to Ewing, approximately 150 area residents registered to help look for Samusenko and provide administrative support for the effort.

Samusenko was last seen on the night of Jan. 29, at his home in the 300 block of East 2nd Street. According to Rafferty, Samusenko disappeared shortly after returning home from basketball practice.

"He was really tired and said he was taking trash out," Rafferty said. "The trash was taken out, so we know that was done, but nobody has seen him since. We originally thought he might have gone for a run -- he was a runner and would run along the lake -- but we have not found any camera or security footage of him running along the docks."

Rafferty said it would be completely out of character for Samusenko to run away.

"He attends church, he is an honor roll student and he's never been in trouble in his life," she said. "There is no evidence of, or reason for, him to run away."

Peter Samusenko, the missing teen's brother, said he is certain his brother did not run away but does not have any idea what might have happened to him.

"He just disappeared. I don't know and no one in our family knows. Anything at this point right now is possible," he told HuffPost.

Jacob Samusenko's disappearance is being investigated by the Erie Police Department, and is considered a missing-person case since there is no evidence Samusenko either ran away or was abducted, investigators have said. The police department could not be immediately reached for comment.

Ewing said himself -- as did many of the volunteers who participated in Tuesday's search efforts -- that he is upset police did not participate in the search.

"There was no involvement by our local police department," Ewing said. "People are very frustrated that the City of Erie has no one out here. There is no official presence, no fire department, no search and rescue team, nothing."

Ewing added, "What really burns me up is Erie Mayor Joe Sinnott could not even show up. What is he doing today that's more important? He doesn't give two shits about this case and that's what you should write. We are upset."

While Ewing and other volunteers expressed frustration with police, Rafferty said Samusenko's family is appreciative of everything law enforcement is doing to help find their missing love one.

"Personally, I know the police have done multiple casings of the neighborhood and everything. I know the detectives themselves on their days off go looking personally. They don't have to do that -- it's their day off -- but they still go and do that and the family really appreciates it," Rafferty said.

Jacob Samusenko is 5 foot 5 inches tall and 130 pounds, with brown hair and eyes. He was last seen wearing track pants and a red zip-up sweater. The "Help Find Jacob Samusenko" Facebook page was created to help share information in the case. A $10,000 reward is being offered for direct leads. Anyone with information is asked to contact Erie police at 814-870-1156 or 814-870-1125.

"If anybody knows anything or thinks they might know something -- any information is better than no information and their little piece might help put together a bigger picture -- they should contact police," Rafferty said.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by raine1953 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning Empty Re: 17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning

Post by Wrapitup Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:59 pm

by Chelsea Hoffman

What Happened to Jacob Samusenko?
February 13, 2013 01:15 PM EST

What happened to Erie teen Jacob Samusenko? The teen 17-year-old boy has been missing for over two weeks now, and it doesn't look like there is much in the line of positive speculation in this case. In the latest update it's being reported that more than 100 people showed up on Tuesday to aid in the volunteer-powered search for him. Still, there is no sign of him.

He was last seen on the night of Jan. 29th in his home. He had just returned from basketball practice, but vanished sometime after taking the trash out. There is no evidence indicating that he might have gone for a jog or anything, and no surveillance footage showing anything out of the ordinary.

It's being reported that it's out of his character to disappear like this. Jacob Samusenko is described as an honor roll student who attends church regularly and wouldn't have a reason to run away. Officials say there is no evidence of foul play or that he ran away so they seem stumped.

This is indeed a strange case that belongs under close scrutiny. Does anyone in his inner circle have reason to be rid of him? Would anyone benefit from him being gone? What was his relationship like with his family? These are all questions that are worth asking, and are important in any missing person's case. Hopefully some good news comes out soon.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning Empty Re: 17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning

Post by Wrapitup Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Jacob Samusenko Missing: Mayor, Police Chief Defend Missing Teen Search Efforts

Posted: 02/14/2013 12:19 pm EST

ERIE, Pa. -- Responding to criticism about the search for missing teen Jacob Samusenko, Erie Mayor Joe Sinnott and the Erie Police Department on Wednesday defended their handling of the investigation.

"Anybody that knows what's going on in this case is very satisfied with what's happening," Sinnott told Erie's WICU News. "The [Samusenko] family is happy with the progress the police have made and the things that they're doing, and the attention they're giving, so that's really the telling part."

Erie Police Chief Steve Franklin told the news station that his department is doing everything possible to find the missing teen.

"Myself and other staff members, took a ride down along the Bayfront several days ago, just looking around trying to follow up on some theories we had," Franklin said. "Everyone's involved, everyone's looking and hopefully, we'll be successful in finding him."

In an article published by The Huffington Post on Wednesday, Adrian Ewing, a local resident who helped organize and manage volunteer search efforts, said he was upset Erie police did not participate in the search.

"There was no involvement by our local police department," Ewing told HuffPost. "People are very frustrated that the City of Erie has no one out here. There is no official presence, no fire department, no search and rescue team, nothing."

Ewing added, "What really burns me up is Erie Mayor Joe Sinnott could not even show up. What is he doing today that's more important? He doesn't give two shits about this case and that's what you should write. We are upset."

Similar statements were made to HuffPost by others in attendance at a Wednesday search briefing.

An area businessman claimed police did not attempt to retrieve surveillance footage from his place of business until Samusenko had been missing for more than a week and by that time, the footage was already erased.

Others said they were questioned by police during search efforts. The officers, according to the searchers, said they were unaware searches were taking place.

Neither Sinnott nor Franklin immediately returned calls for comment from The Huffington Post Thursday. The police department's public information officer has also not yet responded to a Wednesday request for comment from HuffPost.

Ewing, on Thursday, did not immediately respond to a request for comment about his reaction to Sinnott or Franklin's comments.

Samusenko, 17, was last seen Jan. 29, at his home in the 300 block of East Second Street. Samusenko disappeared shortly after returning home from basketball practice and the teen's family said it would be completely out of character for Samusenko to run away.

There is no evidence that Samusenko either ran away or was abducted, said authorities.

While Ewing and some of the other volunteers have expressed frustration with police, Lyubov Rafferty, a Samusenko relative and family spokesperson, told The Huffington Post Wednesday that the family is appreciative of everything law enforcement is doing to help find their missing love one.

"Personally, I know the police have done multiple casings of the neighborhood and everything. I know the detectives themselves on their days off go looking personally. They don't have to do that -- it's their day off -- but they still go and do that, and the family really appreciates it," Rafferty said.

Jacob Samusenko is 5 foot 5 inches tall and 130 pounds, with brown hair and eyes. He was last seen wearing track pants and a red zip-up sweater. The "Help Find Jacob Samusenko" Facebook page was created to help share information in the case. A $10,000 reward is being offered for direct leads. Anyone with information is asked to contact Erie police at 814-870-1156 or 814-870-1125.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:21 pm

David Lohr
While I appreciate his response, I would like to point out that he never said anything was off the record. He allowed me to record the conversation, which I have if anyone would like to hear it to verify that. He also told me the lack of cooperation from the city was what I should focus on. He may regret what he said, however I quoted what he said on the record.

Adrian D. Ewing
MY RESPONSE to the news reports this morning and last night on WSEE:

First...... The quote that was published on the Huffington Post was an off collar and (what I thought was off the record) comment. I definitely did say that after a very long day of searching with no assistance from local law enforcement or from the Sinnott administration. I can really at this point only apologize for a poor choice of words and not being "media-savvy" enough to know that "nothing's off the record" as a close friend put it to me this morning. With that said however, the sentiment I expressed was one expressed to me privately ALL DAY Tuesday by dozens the nearly 200 people that joined in the search for Jacob Samusenko. I make NO apologies for living in a city conditioned toward mediocrity with an administration the forces good tax paying, law-abiding citizens like myself to feel as if they don't care about our children, our poor, our people generally. A city where it appears that the primary concern has become "bike nights" and "block parties" while many of our families suffer daily in poverty without a ladder UP, while our children are mowed down in our streets by gun violence and while everytime an incident occurs of a gruesome or truly heartwrenching nature OUR MAYOR MAKES NO COMMENT EVEN. So NO in short I do not apologize for the comment I made...... just the choice words used.

Note: David Lohr is a Journalist w/TheHuffington Post.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning Empty Community Holds Prayer Vigil for Missing Jacob Samusenko

Post by raine1953 Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:31 pm

MARCH 5, 2013- As we first reported, 17-year-old Jacob Samusenko went missing back on January 29th as he was taking out trash at his parents home.

Community members are hoping the power of prayer will bring the missing teen back home.

More than 150 family members, friends and concerned residents gathered to pray for missing Jacob Samusenko at the Bethel Baptist School.

It is the school Jacob and his siblings attend.

"We believe God's in control and that through keeping faith we're lifting prayers for Jacob's safety and family," says Dave Heitzenrater, Jacob's Basketball Coach

The vigil was led by youth pastor and Jacob's teacher Tim George.

George says Jacob was a wonderful teen and putting faith in God may bring him back home.

"Of anyone involved in the situation. God knows where Jacob is. God knows the answers were looking for and he can direct detectives, direct family, direct Jacob," says George.

Those in attendance, spent the night praying together, singing and calling on god for answers....

Jacob's mother and grandfather thanked those for not giving up faith in finding the 17-year-old.

His mother Nadiya is hoping Jacob will come back to the people who love him so much.

"I love you very much. And I would like to see you back here," says Nadiya Samusenko.

If you have any information regarding Jacob Samusenko, you are asked to call local authorities.

A $10 thousand dollar reward is available.
Video at link[url][/url]
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning Empty Family hopes for news after disappearance of 17-year-old Pennsylvania boy

Post by raine1953 Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:24 pm

A Pennsylvania family is pleading for any information on the disappearance of 17-year-old Jacob Samusenko, who was last seen nearly two months ago after returning home from a high school basketball game.
Lyubov Rafferty, the teen's cousin, told FoxNews.com that Samusenko was last seen the night of Jan. 29, after his mother asked him to put the household trash outside their Eerie, Pa., home.
"Nobody actually saw him leave the house, but the trash was found outside, so we assume that's what he did," Rafferty said.
Samusenko's mother discovered he was missing from the home later, after he failed to gather for nightly prayer with his parents and five siblings. Rafferty said it's possible that Samusenko, a senior at Bethel Christian Academy, may have decided to go for a run around a part of Lake Eerie.
"It was uncharacteristically warm that night," Rafferty recalled. "And we know it was one of his New Year's resolutions to go running on a daily basis."

She said the boy's mother drove around the route Samusenko would have run that night, but found no trace of her son. He was officially reported missing to police around 7 a.m. the following morning.
Rafferty claims police never searched the lake because it froze over by the next morning, when rain and snow began to cover the area. The teen's disappearance is currently classified as a "missing persons case" because "there's no evidence pointing in any specific direction," Rafferty said.
"The family thinks he either went for a run and slipped into the lake, or somebody grabbed him," she said, adding that the teen's identification, wallet, money and coat were all left at the home. She also noted that Samusenko, a good student, was not depressed and had planned on attending Gannon University in Eerie for a degree in physical therapy.
A detective with the Eerie Police Department was not immediately available when contacted Thursday.
Samusenko is described as 5 foot, 5 inches tall and weighing approximately 130 lbs. He was last seen wearing black track pants. He has brown hair and brown eyes.
Anyone with information on Samusenko's whereabouts is being urged to call the Eerie Police Department at 814-870-1115.
Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning Jacobmissing
This undated image, provided by the family, shows 17-year-old Jacob Samusenko.

raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning Empty UPDATE: Body Found in Bay

Post by raine1953 Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:53 pm

MARCH 18, 2013-

The Erie County Coroner is investigating the discovery of a body found floating in Presque Isle bay near the Maritime Museum.... Now, an Erie family awaits word tonight on whether a body pulled from Presque Isle Bay is that of a missing teenager.

According to reports from the scene, the body is believed to be that of a young man.

The cousin of missing Erie teen Jacob Samusenko, confirmed to us that the family has been contacted by authorities... But the body still needs to be identified.

The call went out to local authorities just after 2:30 this afternoon.

According to Erie Police Chief Steve Franklin, a woman called saying she saw what she thought was a body floating in the East Canal Basin in front of the Erie Maritime Museum.

Local rescue crews converged on the area.....

Fire department rescue divers pulled the body from the water in what deputy Chief Mike Fahey says was a quick recovery.

The body was described as heavily decomposed by officials on the scene.

There is no word on the identity of the body...And authorities refused to describe the clothes the victim was wearing when discovered.

Again, according to reports from the scene the body is believed to be a young man.

Jacob Samusenko has been missing since January 29th...

Two search parties have been held... Nothing turned up....

Coroner Lyell Cook confirmed the body was a white male.

An autopsy will be performed Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. on the body.

Family members of Jacob Samusenko tell us if it is indeed Jacob, they will know around noon.
Video at link
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning Empty A body found in the East Basin off State Street on Monday afternoon has been positively identified as Jacob Samusenko, Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook said this afternoon.

Post by Wrapitup Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:17 pm

PUBLISHED: MARCH 19, 2013 1:39 PM EST
UPDATED: MARCH 19, 2013 1:39 PM EST
Body identified as missing Erie teen
BY TIM HAHN, Erie Times-News

Samusenko, 17, was identified through dental records, Cook said.

The preliminary cause of his death is drowning, Cook said. There were no signs of foul play found in the autopsy, he said.

Samusenko, of Erie, had been missing since Jan. 29, when he was last seen at his East Second Street home.

I wonder what happened that he drowned. How sad!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Wrap, from up thread a bit:
Rafferty said it's possible that Samusenko, a senior at Bethel Christian Academy, may have decided to go for a run around a part of Lake Eerie.
"It was uncharacteristically warm that night," Rafferty recalled. "And we know it was one of his New Year's resolutions to go running on a daily basis."
She said the boy's mother drove around the route Samusenko would have run that night, but found no trace of her son. He was officially reported missing to police around 7 a.m. the following morning.
Rafferty claims police never searched the lake because it froze over by the next morning, when rain and snow began to cover the area. The teen's disappearance is currently classified as a "missing persons case" because "there's no evidence pointing in any specific direction," Rafferty said.
"The family thinks he either went for a run and slipped into the lake, or somebody grabbed him," she said, adding that the teen's identification, wallet, money and coat were all left at the home. She also noted that Samusenko, a good student, was not depressed and had planned on attending Gannon University in Eerie for a degree in physical therapy.
A detective with the Eerie Police Department was not immediately available when contacted Thursday.
Samusenko is described as 5 foot, 5 inches tall and weighing approximately 130 lbs. He was last seen wearing black track pants. He has brown hair and brown eyes.
Anyone with information on Samusenko's whereabouts is being urged to call the Eerie Police Department at 814-870-1115.
Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
BBM
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

17 yr old Jacob Samusenko Missing: Family, Volunteers Search For Erie, Pennsylvania Teen/3.18.2013 Body found in bay, Positively ID's as Jacob's/Coroner rules COD as accidental drowning Empty "No Foul Play" in Jacob Samusenko Disappearance and Drowning

Post by raine1953 Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:58 pm

A Pennsylvania coroner says that Jacob Samusenko, a high school athlete and honors student, must have somehow stubbed his toe, fallen into the Lake Erie basin, and "accidentally drowned" there. This fatal chain of events, whilst merely taking out the garbage for his parents on the evening of January 29th 2013.

The 17-year-old had been missing for two months until his badly decomposed corpse was sighted floating in the Presque Isle bay earlier this week. Both the coroner and police insist there is nothing suspicious about the youth's uncharacteristic disappearance nor his inexplicable and premature death.

Evidently young men are always vanishing into thin air when simply hauling trashcans down to the curb in Erie Pennsylvania…

"There was absolutely no marks on the body indicating any kind of trauma or foul play," Erie County coroner Lyell Cook announced yesterday. "Based on what we know there was no evidence to suspect that it was a suicide either."

Waterlogged corpses, a forensic analyst's nightmare

If you're going to kill somebody and want to make it look like an accident then there's probably no better place to dump a corpse than in a body of water—the longer it soaks the better, and don't use a gun, knife, or sledgehammer.

What makes freshwater so ideal? Because the average cop and coroner haven't the vaguest idea how to process cadavers which have been retrieved from watery graves.

In fact, if the deceased has been submerged long enough—say two to three weeks or more—their body starts to totally liquefy and their skin slips off!

So, how Erie county's astute medical examiner was able to determine that Samusenko had no bruises, lacerations, or even mild puncture wounds is…well…nothing short of a major medical achievement.

Drowning while not engaged in water recreation is a statistical improbability

That's right. Can't happen. If you don't play around in water you won't drown. It's just that simple, statistically speaking.

And when people do perish during water-recreational activities it rarely ever occurs in a natural body of water like a river, lake, pond or stream. It's in the backyard swimming pool which, sadly, is almost never equipped with a certified lifeguard as all pools ought to be.

Even then, according to data annually collected and sifted through by the CDC, the vast majority of drowning victims are small children. That being the case for all the obvious reasons.

Water, water everywhere

There is and always has been a lot of water in all the states where young males between the ages of 17 and 30 have been suddenly vanishing without a trace and showing up in nearby lakes and ponds and rivers for the past 16 years.

There is, for instance, a lot of water in the state of Pennsylvania where 17-year-old Jacob Samusenko vanished and drowned this winter.

There is a lot of water in the state of Illinois where 18-year-old Harsha Maddula vanished and drowned this past September.

There is a lot of water in the state of North Carolina where 19-year-old Tyler Blalock vanished and drowned this past October.

There is a lot of water in the state of New York where 26-year-old David Gerken vanished and drowned this past November.

There is a lot of water is the state of Maine where 21-year-old Zachary Wells and his buddy 23-year-old Prescott Wright vanished and drowned this past December.

There is a lot of water in the state of Massachusetts where 23-year-old Jonathan Dailey vanished and drowned this past October.

There is a lot of water in the state of Arizona where 19-year-old Jack Culolias vanished and drowned this past November.

There is a lot of water in the state of Indiana where 23-year-old Matthew Ward and 22-year-old Joshua Swalls vanished and drowned this past October and November respectively.

There is a lot of water in the state of Wisconsin where 24-year-old Robert Steinbrecker vanished and drowned this past December.

And there is a lot of water in the Wisconsin cities of Milwaukee and Madison, in particular, where 24-year-old Nick Wilcox still remains missing since New Year's eve, and 26-year-old Charlie Geurts since January 15th…

Will they too be found "accidentally" drowned?
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down